1Password Mac: New Chrome Extension + Beta!

I’ve been a huge fan of Google Chrome since its release on the Mac. It’s super fast and stable, and I love that even when I do run into a problem site, I don’t lose the rest of my open tabs, because each one is sandboxed — safely tucked away in a separate process.

When I joined the Agile team (wow…not even two weeks ago?) I was happy to find the team was hard at work on several important improvements to our Chrome extension. Today I am happy to say that we have an update to the 1Password Mac Chrome extension! (Windows update coming soon)

How to Update

Take no action! Just sit back and relax: Chrome automatically updates all of its installed extensions! :)

But if you’re as anxious as I am, you can follow these steps to force Chrome to download the update immediately:

1. Launch Chrome and go to Window > Extensions.
  2. Click on “Developer Mode” over to the right.
  3. Click on the “Update Extensions Now” button that appears to the left — done!

For more information about 1Password and Chrome, check out our guide.

So What’s New?

Here are some highlights of what you’ll find in our latest release:

Manual Login Saving

It’s here! Now you can save new Login items within Chrome manually. After you have entered your login credentials for a site, just click the 1Password toolbar button to open the 1Password menu, and then click Save New Login.

Obscured Passwords

Passwords are now hidden when viewing the details of a Login item. You can show them by clicking the “Reveal” button which appears when you hover the mouse cursor over the password field. To hide them again, simply click the “Conceal” button. Nice!

Improved Autosubmit Support

Autosubmit has gotten even better! It can now properly handle several new situations, including less common cases where web sites use some very “unique” coding conventions :)

Improved Login Saving and Filling

Last but not least, many improvements have been made to how 1Password saves and fills Logins. We’ve improved the detection of which elements should be saved, added additional support for new HTML 5 elements, and now properly save and restore the state of checkbox fields.

These are the highlights of what’s new but there’s a lot of other cool things going on under the hood in our 1Password Mac Chrome extension that will make it possible to bring you even more exciting new features in the future.

Join The Chrome Beta Team

Now, for all you adventurous sorts out there: We’d love to have you join the beta team. Here’s how:

Getting Started

1. Remove the official 1Password extension from Chrome (Window > Extensions > 1Password > Uninstall)
  2. Install the beta extension from our download site — simply click “Continue” and “Install” when prompted.
  3. Restart Chrome to make sure everything is updated.
  4. Enjoy! :D

Here’s the changelog so you can keep up-to-date on what’s changed. To report issues and leave feedback, head to the Chrome extension forum.

Back to Basics

If at any time you’d like to return to using the most recent stable version of the 1Password Chrome extension, simply do the following:
  1. Launch Chrome, go to Window > Extensions, and click the Uninstall link at the bottom of the 1Password extension listing.
  2. Quit Chrome
  3. Launch 1Password, go to Preferences > Browsers, and click the “Install Google Chrome Extension” button. (This will launch Chrome, and you will need to click “Continue” and “Install” when prompted.)

Again, this is Mac only at this time, but stay syndicated for future announcements! :)

1. Dave Teare

Welcome to the team, Brenty! I’m glad to see you’re not shy and are posting already :)

2. Justin Withers
    Justin Withers says:

just so you know: I just used the link to install the latest extension inside RockMelt. Will let you know how it behaves

Thanks for the info, Justin!

RockMelt is often a release behind Chrome (it’s hard not to be as Chrome has a very aggressive release cycle) but most often it is “recent enough” to support the features we use in 1Password.

While we don’t officially support RockMelt, I suspect it will work fine for you.

Cheers!

–Dave Teare
      Agile Founder

3. Nigel Metheringham
    Nigel Metheringham says:

The beta version available at present is a lower revision number than the release version…

Not anymore ;)

Other than the automatic update url, the beta and the official release were exactly the same. The beta was built first, and for the final release I decided to use a new build number to help us during debugging. It caused some confusion, however, so next time I plan to use the exact same build number.

Thanks for the feedback Nigel!

–Dave Teare

4. Fynh
    Fynh says:

Welcome! One thing I really, really miss since the first version of the chrome addon: The option to change the shortkey to autofill a login. On german keyboards it is not usable.. Pretty please :(

Thanks for the feedback, Fynh!

Customizable keyboard shortcuts are already possible. Try opening the main 1Password application and changing the Fill Login keyboard shortcut in the Preferences > Logins window.

If this doesn’t work for you, it could be related to the German keyboard you’re using. In this case, could you please start a new thread in the Chrome extension forum so we can investigate further?

I hope that helps!

–Dave Teare

5. Hammy Havoc
    Hammy Havoc says:

I never thought that I’d ever say this, but I truly believe that 1Password is one of the first pieces of software to ever be near ‘perfect’. You have done such a fantastic job on 1Password. I love it wholeheartedly.
    I can’t imagine where you’ll take it next; Undoubtedly bold and unexplored territory!

@hammyhavoc

Thank you so much, Hammy!

You have made my day, put a smile on my face, a skip in my jump, and made me even more passionate about taking 1Password to the next level!

Please comment more often :)

–Dave Teare
      Agile Founder

6. Chris
    Chris says:

I’ve read in the past that htaccess logins don’t work in chrome because chrome won’t allow extensions access. Is there any change in that, its really messing up my workflow.

7. SiteOwner
    SiteOwner says:

April 7, 2011 | Dave Teare

@Chris: Unfortunately, at this time, Chrome does not make the htaccess login prompt accessible with their api. Hopefully this changes in the future.

Cheers!

–Dave Teare
    Agile Founder

April 7, 2011 | Mike Tselikman

@Chris,

If you want, you can stay up to date on the HTTP Auth issue by subscribing to this issue at Google Code.

April 7, 2011 | Frank

I know it doesn’t take away any functionality or coolness, but UI-wise I’m a bit disapointed you didn’t fix the toolbar icon like a suggested here: http://forum.agile.ws/index.php?/topic/2475-suggestion-chrome-toolbar-icon-changes/

The angle still clashes with the wrench icon (chrome’s prefs) + the official 1Password icon has the key pointing north-west anyway. Would be alot more consistent and logical IMO.

Thanks for reminding you designer again!

April 9, 2011 | Chris

It would be great if it had right click support like FF and Safari. I’ve used this several times.

April 9, 2011 | TCU

The updated version is beautiful, but I have to enter the master password again each time when I launch Chrome, and Safari & Firefox don’t have this problem :(

April 10, 2011 | Tom
    The latest beta seems unable to autofill Amazon passwords.

April 11, 2011 | Dave Teare

@Frank: Dan (our designer) has been really busy lately so we left the icon as-is for now. We’ll have to both wait for him to get some free time to play with this. I’m looking forward to a change, too :)

@Chris: I agree. We’ll look into adding context menu support in the future.

@TCU: Are you using Chromium? We’ve been investigating this problem in the forums and hope to have a fix in the future.

@Tom: Can you update and try again? To update immediately, open a new tab and enter the address chrome://extensions to show the Extensions window. Click “Developer mode” link in the top-right corner to reveal the developer tools. Now click the “Update extensions now” button and wait 15 to 30 seconds while it downloads and updates automatically. You should see the version number on the extension change, but other than that, you will not see any changes.

April 11, 2011 | Tom
    It seems to be working now. I will check if more fully later.

8. Peter Niederwieserq
    Peter Niederwieserq says:

“Save New Login” does nothing for me. The login still doesn’t get saved. Also the automatic save never seems to work lately (in Chrome). Clearing the cache doesn’t help either.

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hey there, Peter!

I am sorry we missed your comment. :(

We have been doing a lot of behind the scenes work on the website lately, so I fear the notifications may not have been working fully.

Regarding your issue, could you join us in the Chrome extension forums? We will be happy to troubleshoot this with you, and others wo may be having a similar problem. :)

9. Chris
    Chris says:

I notice that in the Firefox version, we can right click on the fields to fill them in. Any reason why we don’t have that option in Chrome?

Thanks!

10. jlc3
    jlc3 says:

testing this with google chrome canary beta – alas, not working. and when searching the extensions only LastPass shows up. ::sigh:: too soon? :)

• brenty
      brenty says:

Sorry for the inconvenience, but it sounds like you understand where we’re coming from. ;)

In many cases, we have had the 1Password Chrome extension working for betas. Officially, we only support the stable release, and historically anything more experimental than beta (dev, canary) just has too many changes and bugs for our extension to work properly.

The good news is if there’s a feature you’re after in a prerelease version of Chrome, the pace of development is such that it will trickle down to a stable built before you know it! :)

11. joe
    joe says:

I am having the same issue as Peter Niederwieserq, the extension never offers to save my login nor does the “save new login” button do anything when I click on it.

12. jonathan
    jonathan says:

the lastpass extension is using your name to get more people.
    lastpass was the only extension that showed up when i typed
    1password into the google web app store

• brenty
      brenty says:

Well, that’s marketing, I guess. ;)

It definitely makes us itch a little to get something in there ourselves, but unfortunately we have our hands full preparing for Lion right now. We will have to look into the Google Web App Store once we are done with that. :)

Comments are closed.