OS X Lion and the state of the new 1Password extension (Updated)

OS X Lion

Happy Lion Day everyone! The latest version of Mac OS X is here, and boy is it a whopping upgrade. We’ve been busy getting 1Password and our browser extensions prepared, and I’m pleased to say that version 3.6 brought Lion support, while version 3.6.1 upped the ante for the new Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard.

Apple made some really big changes in Lion and Safari 5.1, so to celebrate these releases and make sure you could keep using 1Password, we introduced a completely redesigned Safari extension. Our goals were simple, as we wanted to make it easier for you to: access and view more of your 1Password information than ever before right in the browser, fill and browse all your items more quickly with a mouse or keyboard, and feel right at home using the extension in all the browsers we support.

We’ve received a ton of positive feedback and suggestions for our new extension, and we want to thank you for all of your input so far. We also know that the new extension isn’t fully feature complete yet when compared to the previous version. To help you stay on top of how we’re improving things and which features we’re still working on, we’ve created a whole new section of FAQs and documents that we’ll keep updated.

Here is our main 1Password FAQs page, and the new section dedicated to our new Safari 5.1 extension is in the top right. There you can find documents like a quick Safari 5.1 extension intro as well as a more thorough explanation of goals. We have a few more that address other issues, so you can bookmark these as we’ll be updating them when we make improvements to the extension:

There are more documents in our Lion/Safari 5.1 FAQ and possibly more to come, so you should definitely check out our updated FAQs to find some of the answers for which you seek. A couple other issues we’re looking into right now: some sites that aren’t playing well with auto-submit (such as Chase.com), the 1Password extension sometimes won’t unlock after you exit private browsing mode (until we squash that last one, restarting Safari should fix the problem), and changes to the Go & Fill behavior. A list of issues like that can be found in our troubleshooting Safari 5.1 doc.

One of the general quirks we’ve heard about the extension is performance—sometimes it has a Case of the Mondays in that it is either a little slow or, in some rare cases, doesn’t respond to keyboard shortcuts. The good news is that we’re putting the finishing polish on a big extension update that should do wonders for performance all-around. The best part? Now that it’s an official Safari extension (if you’re on Lion or Snow Leopard with Safari 5.1 installed, go check Preferences > Extensions and see!), we’ll be able to update it automatically, without even updating the main 1Password app. We hope to get that update out really soon.

I hope this helps explain where we’re at with the new Safari 5.1 extension. Keep an eye on our documentation for updates and we’ll let you know as soon as that big extension update lands!

1. Stefano Corbetta
    Stefano Corbetta says:

Guys, please bring back to Lion the “right-click contextual item” soon.
    That’s the only clever, fast and useful reason that made me buy 1Password.
    Thanks.

• Rick
      Rick says:

Let’s be clear about this – 1PW does not work with Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with Safari 5.1.

Not at all. Not any part of any function.

I have tried the reinstall it instructions in your support forum, and it DOES NOT WORK AT ALL – totally non-functional garbage!

If this is not completely corrected in one day, I will never be a customer again, because this is completely unacceptable.

• George Chase
        George Chase says:

Safari worked fine for me. Sounds like Rich needs to stop using gin in his Cheerios. I guess he never heard of Chrome, Firefox, or Opera?

Hi Rick,

Safari 5.1 is working fine on Snow Leopard for many users, including myself. One of the common issues I’ve seen is when Safari updates it (sometimes) disables all extensions, including 1Password. Try opening the Safari > Preferences > Extensions window, and ensure the slider for enabling extensions is on.

If that’s not the case, it sounds like there’s a configuration issue on your machine. In this case, please email us a Diagnostics Report (1Password > Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report) at support@agilebits.com.

• David
      David says:

Hi Jim! You are indeed correct that we haven’t been able to add that feature into the new extension yet. It’s another on our list, so keep an eye here on the blog for announcements. Thanks!

2. Eric
    Eric says:

I see nothing there that explains this. I used to:

Click on the “1P” button on the toolbar, which would…
    Drop a nice clean drop down menu listing all of my logins categorized into folders, one of which I would select and then…
    The browser would open a new tab and log me in to the website selected.

I now have to:
    Click on the “1P” button on the toolbar, which…
    Opens a monster window blocking much of my browser and I then have to click on the “All Logins” button, and then…
    Either scroll down or type a few characters into the search box (I have over 400 logins saved)
    It then opens the selected login in the current tab and does not automatically log me in.

This seems like a downgrade guys… very disappointed long-time user.

• David
      David says:

Thanks for the feedback Eric! We know some features haven’t made it into the new extension yet which is why we wanted to get this post out. I can assure you that our finest coders have been locked away with a stack of twinkies and a crate of mountain dew in order to work on restoring features. We should have an update here soon!

• mic
      mic says:

I am with Eric!
      Please bring back the old Button & Layout!!!
      I dont like this monster window.

• Mike
        Mike says:

I’m with Mic and Eric – I do not like this new interface, and my wife took one look at it and refuses to let me upgrade her to Lion until you fix it.

Don’t listen to your Chrome users any more, listen to your Safari users.

• dave
          dave says:

We listen to all our users :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Mike. Software is never finished and we look forward to finding a solution that everyone loves.

3. Eric
    Eric says:

This thing really is crap guys. I cannot for the life of me understand how ANY of the changes were made with real world user input… You have taken an essential tool and literally stripped all of the functionality that made it wonderful out… Unless I’m TOTALLY missing something here…

• David
      David says:

And to answer your second comment: I’m sorry to hear this, but we’re working as hard as we can on making the new extension all it can be. For what it’s worth, we introduced this extension to our Chrome users last fall and had great feedback from it. It’s part of what encouraged us to move ahead with unifying our extension across all our browsers, but we are certainly far from finished. Everything is in flux, including the interface. If you can, please try to take a little time to get used to the new extension, its features, and keyboard shortcuts, and we’ll deliver some updates that I think will make big improvements.

4. Kennon
    Kennon says:

Just adding that I’m a very satisfied 1Password user. Been using the beta for a while and I feel like it’s a great visual upgrade. I have access to all the same password data in a prettier interface. Kudos everyone!

• Eric
      Eric says:

Yes, access is there, but hardly convenient. With hundreds of logins you have to scroll forever or use type in the name. The nested drop down menus made it a less-than-two-seconds approach without leaving the mouse or trackpad. And if you needed to fill in your address or credit card info, same thing. I timed it on a Leopard MacBook, it literally takes three times as long now to do the same things.

This is a classic case of form over function. Looks pretty though for sure.

• David
        David says:

Hi Eric. I’m not sure what to tell you here. I already mentioned that nested folders are on our list for restoring to our extension. Is there another answer you’re looking for? We’re working as hard as we can. Apple made a lot of changes in Lion so we had to initially make sure that we could have something ready for our users to have in Lion and Safari 5.1.

Hopefully I’ll be able to post some news about an extension update here soon. Also remember that updates happen automatically through Safari’s extension update mechanism now, so you might get new versions with new features and fixes without seeing an update to the 1Password app.

5. Kyle
    Kyle says:

Hey guys,

I love the new design of the extension!

That said, my biggest gripe so far is that all of my meticulously-setup 1Click bookmarks aren’t working at all anymore.

Every single URL with “onepasswdfill” fails to login automatically now.

Is this what others have been referring to with auto-login in general, or is it just another item on the to do list for the Safari extension?

Thanks, and keep up the great work!
    Kyle

• David
      David says:

Hi Kyle! Thanks for the kind words. Right now, 1Click bookmarks aren’t working right now, so they are also on the to-do list. They’re listed on our troubleshooting page here:

For what it’s worth, our Command-Option-\ to open the extension to the All Logins tab is probably your fastest way to get directly to a page. Hopefully we’ll have something new to announce here on the blog soon.

6. Paul
    Paul says:

I’d say you folks were caught off guard. In my opinion 1password autofill does NOT work with safari 5.1. Not until it works the way it used to work. It seems that people are giving you praise for the new extension. Well, I can’t do that. I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why 1password was not working and finally found this set of postings.

• brenty
      brenty says:

I am sorry for the trouble. We try to keep people updated on what we’re up to, but even with the blog, twitter, our newsletters, and the release notes, we are unfortunately not able to reach everyone. :(

You are absolutely right. We have put years of development into our old Safari (and Fluid…and NetNewsWire…and others) support, and Apple’s decision to disallow scripting additions caught us off guard. Fortunately, there was an alternative. The Safari extension API did not exist until last year, so we had to do things differently when we initially developed our Safari integration.

While it may take us a while to get back to where we were previously and there are some limitations, the new framework gives us an opportunity to do some new things (like autoupdate for our extension, which means faster fixes and additions). The road may be a bit bumpy for you and I alike, but where we’re going, we don’t need roads. ;)

We appreciate your understanding during this transition. Thanks so much for your support! :)

7. SwedishFrog
    SwedishFrog says:

Is the strong password generator broken, too? I tried to generate a password for a site, but after clicking on the menu option (using the toolbar icon), nothing happened.

8. Mashi
    Mashi says:

As someone who used 1Password in Chrome and then migrated over to Safari when the 5.1 beta was first released, I’m very impressed. I only kind of liked how it was previously done in Safari compared to Chrome, and was blown away by the new Safari plugin.

Sorry to everyone who doesn’t like change, I guess.

• brenty
      brenty says:

Thanks for the positive response, Mashi, but we still have some work to do!

There are a lot of things we still need to implement, but I think we are off to a good start! :)

To be fair, I think it is very subjective. I personally hated the Chrome extension at first, but once you get over the initial “this isn’t what I am used to” shock, it grows on you. Change is never easy. ;)

9. Me
    Me says:

Wow. I have been singing the praises about 1Password as being an essential “must have” for years to everyone using a Mac. As of my upgrade to Safari 5.1 today, I can no longer do that. The thing simply no longer works. It’s kludgy, slow and no matter what I do I can not get it to autofill any of the sites that I’ve been using 1Password on for years. I don’t know what to say other than I am extremely disappointed. I’m sure there was a reason to replace a mature, reliable solution with a release of an unfinished hack and a bunch of “we’re working on it” statements, but I can’t figure out what that reason would be.

The least that you could have done was to have sent out an e-mail to your customers warning them that this was going to happen. Not good, guys.

10. Rick
    Rick says:

You clowns may think that this is funny with your flip comments, but the life of your company is on the line.

1PW with SL 10.6.8 and Safari 5.1 is a busted piece of crap. For me, you have less than 24 hours to make it a) functional, and b) usable.

I am just appalled with your apparent lack of testing and pointless and annoying redesign. Be ashamed!

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hey there, Rick!

I am sorry you are not a fan. Currently our Safari 5.1 extension is in beta. We appreciate the feedback, and hopefully you will like it more and more as we approach “final” release! :D

In fact, our goal with the new extension wasn’t a redesign at all (although we have done so along the way!) Apple has decided that scripting additions are out in Safari 5.1 and Lion, so we had to rebuild from the ground up using the Safari extension API. However, every cloud has a silver lining: With the new extension, we have better form filling, and are able to push out automatic updates to you so that you can always have the latest additions and fixes — all without having to do a thing. We don’t even have to release a new version of 1Password in order to improve the new extension.

We have a lot of great things planned, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• dave
      dave says:

Hi Rick,

Please see my reply to your above comment. What you’re experiencing is not typical and we’d love to help you get it working on your machine.

11. Rick
    Rick says:

Anyone who says they are pleased with the UI redesign must work for Agile, because it must have been done by an idiot.

As a customer who will be dropping it very soon if not fixed, I will be leaving the unkindest comments I can think of on every Mac forum on the Internet, because you have demonstrated total incompetence with this latest update.

Just in case you haven’t noticed, I’m really p***ed at the way you have destroyed what was a useful application.

• dave
      dave says:

Hi Rick,

The new UI is certainly a huge change and it will take time to get used to. Even for myself it took a few weeks before I got used to the Google Chrome extension.

I’m not saying it is perfect, it certainly isn’t and we’re working on addressing many of the complaints. Please give us (and the new UI) some time.

–Dave Teare
      AgileBits Founder

12. Chris Thomson
    Chris Thomson says:

Come on guys. The guys at Agile have worked hard to build this new extension. Browsers change often, and they always seem to keep up with the various extension API changes. Insulting them and their product is not going to make them “fix” their extension to your liking.

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hiya, Chris!

Thanks so much for the kind words. While we have a way to go yet, we are hard at work to make it better and better every day. Hopefully we can get some of these issues fixed and release a final version soon.

But in either case, the best part is that the extension will be updated automatically so that you always get the latest improvements! :)

13. George Chase
    George Chase says:

WOW! I thought I was the dumbest newby, but I’m in the median from what I’m reading. I’m betting none of you complainers were around for 10.1, the first OSX. I have had many email threads with these guys at Agile, and never have I experienced anything but prompt, and concise responses. Hang in there, it gets better – if not, start your own company. :)

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hey there, George!

Thanks for your support. I am a “newby” myself in some ways, and I hear that 10.1 was pretty rough, although I wasn’t around to see it!

We all get attached and nostalgic at times, but I think it says a lot that nobody goes back to Cheetah or Jaguar. Change is never easy. :)

14. Thomas Link
    Thomas Link says:

Finally I realized, that the One-Klick Login simply does not work. But I still have confusion about the keyboard shortcuts… the german Command+Ä won’t work at all.

Remark: Command+\ ist unusable on german keyboards, because this will be similar to Command+Option+7

I would really need support for HTTP Authentication prompts – any news on that? Personally I do fear that this will be impossible with the Safari Extension, is it?

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hey there, Thomas!

At this time single-keypress login is not working, but it is something we hope to implement in the future. In the case of HTTP Auth, there is not a way for 1Password to have access to those prompts right now using the Safari extension API, but we hope that Apple will change this in the future.

You can also set the keyboard shortcut to whatever you like in 1Password Preferences > Logins > Login Options. :)

Hi Thomas,

The keyboard shortcuts have been giving us some difficulty but I think we’ve found a solution that will work better. Hopefully this will be in the next update.

As for HTTP Authentication prompts, this one will be quite a bit harder. I’m not sure how we can support these without help from the Safari API team. We’ve already notified them that this is an important feature for us but I’m not sure what priority they will give it.

15. Henry
    Henry says:

Congratulations on ruining your program for a prettier UI. Logging in is now 10 times more cumbersome than it used to be, but hey! it has animations and looks nice, which is surely what matters.

• dave
      dave says:

Hi Henry,

The only workflow I can think of that was 10 times slowed is the Fill Login keyboard shortcut when there is only one Login. In the old extension, if there was only one Login available for a site, we’d just fill it automatically w/o showing a window. This is something we plan on bringing to the new extension very soon.

I hope that helps!

16. Alan Evans
    Alan Evans says:

I, too, am pretty disgusted with the latest version [3.6.5BETA-23] of 1Password with Safari 5.1/Lion. An e-mail to registered users clearly stating what the update would change and what is currently broken would have at least shown some respect for your customers. As it is, I’ve now spent hours trying to troubleshoot things that I had no idea weren’t working.

I’ve put my faith in this program and AgileBits and I feel like I’ve been seriously let down. It now costs me far more time than had I never used this program.

• dave
      dave says:

I’m sorry we disappointed you Alan!

In addition to this blog, we had a newsletter a few weeks ago that shared some details on Lion, albeit it was light on details (at the time we didn’t know Lion’s release date). Sadly this didn’t help as many people as I wanted as many users are not subscribed to the newsletter and everyone has too much email these days so a lot of people never even opened it. Nevertheless, we’re planning another newsletter soon with the answers to the most common issues.

I look forward restoring your faith with more newsletters and a more polished Safari extension!

17. Francesc
    Francesc says:

Hello, i bought the 1Pasword for my macbookPro, iPhone and i was vey happy, but, now the plug-in for Firefox 3.6.19 is not working any more?

Could you tell me what happens?

Thank you.

• dave
      dave says:

Hello Francesc,

The latest version of 1Password includes an extension for Firefox 4 and Firefox 5. It’s recommended you upgrade to Firefox 5, but if that is not an option, Firefox 3 support is available in previous versions of 1Password.

For more details, please see our Firefox Frequently Asked Questions help guide.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. [...] OS X Lion and the state of the new 1Password extension (Updated) | Agile Blog 1PasswordのSafari5.1での拡張機能 [...]

Comments are closed.