Big Safari extension updates and a sneak peek

It’s been just four days since Apple unleashed Safari 5.1 and 10.7 Lion, a massive upgrade to nearly every aspect of your Mac. Back in June, we released a pair of updates to get the core of 1Password ready to support Lion and Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard, and we’ve spent a lot of time over the last couple of months rewriting our Safari extension from scratch in order to comply with new technologies and rules Apple has introduced, as well as to get 1Password prepared for the Mac App Store.

In the four short days since Lion’s release, our developers (who are in no way chained to their desks with stashes of Red Bull and Pop-Tarts) have released a total of six updates to the new Safari extension and an update to the main 1Password app. Now that our extension is an official Safari extension, Safari should check periodically and update it automatically. But just in case, here’s our how-to guide if you want to update right away.

We’re listening and updating

We’ve heard every piece of feedback you’ve sent, and already we’ve restored a number of features that users missed from the previous version, and we’ve added some polish for good measure:

• Single-Stroke Login is back: If you only have one Login for a site, hitting the default Command-\ shortcut will now skip the extension interface and log you in right away
  • Go & Fill is back: Right-clicking the Dock icon or clicking an item’s URL from the 1Password app will now open the site in a new tab in Safari and log you in
  • Performance improved across the board: We’ve made big advances in speeding up the loading of our new extension and keyboard shortcut responsiveness
  • Extension now works on blank pages, Top Sites: You can now trigger our extension with our keyboard shortcuts if you’re on a blank page, Safari’s Top Sites, or even if the keyboard focus is in the Address Bar
  • Autosubmit settings now respected: If you’ve customized a Login’s Autosubmit settings in 1Password, the new Safari extension now respects that setting
  • 1Click Bookmarks are back: If you’ve created one or more 1Click Bookmarks, they should now work again
  • The extension is now a popover: Apple introduced popovers as a new interface element on iPad, and they were such a hit that it brought them to Mac in OS X Lion. We’ve found that a popover is a great way to display more of your 1Password data inside the browser so you don’t have to stop what you’re doing to open the main app if you don’t want to
  • No longer resizes when using Safari 5.1’s Zoom features: Some Safari users like to take advantage of its clever View > Zoom In/Out/Text Only features, and an earlier version of our extension would resize itself according to those settings. Not anymore
  • Auto-Submit greatly improved: We’ve done a lot of work to improve the new extension’s ability to submit forms, and sites like Chase.com and Schwab.com should work again

Of course, these features and fixes are all in addition to the great stuff we can do with this new extension that could never be possible with the previous format. If you don’t know about all the new extension’s tricks like keyboard shortcuts and a better view of your data, you should definitely check out our intro document and FAQs, as well as our installation guide if you still need to get setup with Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard or Lion.

We certainly aren’t taking a break though—no, not even on a Sunday. We know we have plenty of work to do and features to restore, so if you’re still missing something, please check the Known Issues in our troubleshooting guide for progress updates and explanation of what’s going on. Many of your questions have probably been answered there or in our main 1Password FAQs, so check those out.

Sneak peek at an interface revamp

Now for the sexier stuff. The new Safari extension is using a 1.0 version of our new extension interface that we introduced in Chrome last November. We redesigned the extension so we could offer a number of features users have been asking for and unify the 1Password experience across Safari, Chrome, and Firefox, as well as the aforementioned compatibility aspirations for Lion, Safari 5.1, and the Mac App Store.

We have received a lot of great feedback on this design, and based on your responses, we’ve been working on a revamp that will tighten up the interface but still provide access to our great new features like full mouse or keyboard navigation, new keyboard shortcuts, and the ability to view and copy more of your data than ever before right from the browser. Take a look:

Now remember: this is just our vision for the new extension’s design, and everything is in flux. But so far, we really like the tighter layout, reduction of white space, the ability to view more items at once, and some other pending perks that you might be able to glean from these shots.

But that’s enough about us—let us know what you think in our forums! You can of course comment here on the blog as well, but our staff can provide better assistance in the forums.

« Older Comments
  1. Greg
    Greg says:

I definitely like the new UI better than the one I saw for a few minutes before downreving everything.

One thing that is super important in how I use 1P is the simplicity of an initial click on the 1P button in Safari, then just simple mouseovers to get where I want and a second click to select. Any more clicking required than that can hopefully be avoided in the UI.

I am very much looking forward to seeing how folders will be implemented as I use them ALOT for organization and quicker access. Again, the older UI was brilliant, as the folders were in the top level of the UI and I could again just mouseover the folder and get to where I wanted. I will be very disappointed if I am going to be required to CLICK something in the lefthand bar first to list the folders. Hopefully you will be able to implement them in such as way as they can be listed at the top of the logins list? Some options around how the folders are seen in the UI might also be helpful in accomodating different use cases.

Anyway, I must acknowledge the difficulties you are facing in having to react to the changes that Apple threw at us, and recognize the effort that you are all putting in over the last few months – thanks for your hard work and a great product.

• nik
      nik says:

Thanks, Greg! We will do whatever we can to make your 1Password experience as great as possible. Stay tuned!

2. Thibaut
    Thibaut says:

I updated 1 password and the extension to last beta, i’ve got lion running on my macbook air, and it seems that i get all features described , but my safari extension design is different than your screenshot ….
    How is it possible ? maybe it’s because safari is set in french on my mac ?

• nik
      nik says:

Thibaut, this is just a sneak peek at what’s coming in the future. These interface updates have not yet been implemented.

• David
      David says:

Hi Alex. Sorry to hear the keyboard shortcut isn’t working. We just released a major new version of the extension with a great redesign based on feedback like yours and a lot of fixes. Please check out our announcement post and the guides I linked in it that explain how to update:

To make sure everyone is on the same page, I’ll close the comments on this post and direct folks to the new post and our forums, where our support personnel stand ready and waiting to help you better than I can here:

I hope this improves your experience!

3. andrewb
    andrewb says:

I am becoming very frustrated with 1Password, but have been a highly satisfied customer for so long that I’m willing to stick it out for about 1 more month to see if you all realize your “improvements” to the Safari Lion extension are nothing but a huge mess and change things back.

I see that the new update don’t address any of the issues that concern me.

1Password’s browser extension used to be great, but is now user-unfriendly, to say the least. It used to take 2 steps to get a form filled out on a page. I loved that all I had to do was click that 1 icon, pull down the menu, let go and everything was filled out. The keyboard shortcut is good, but the issues I’m having are listed below.

1. In the past when I opened the 1Password application with my password, I didn’t have to re-enter it to use in the extension. Now I get the screen below whether I’ve opened the application or not.

The graphic is big, ugly, takes up too much screen real estate. There should be NO GRAPHIC AT ALL! That was the whole point of what you had before: it was simple, unobtrusive, and one’s brain didn’t have to digest more information while one is on the internet. That is what made it special. It was seamless, and unobtrusive. Using images defeats the purpose. All the same functions used to be available as a pulldown from the extension.

Please re-do the whole thing. You have made a horrific mess.

• David
      David says:

Hi Andrewb, I’m sorry to hear you’re not happen with the previous version of our new extension. Fortunately, we just released a major new version of it with a great redesign based on feedback like yours and a lot of fixes. Please check out our announcement post and the guides I linked in it that explain how to update:

I hope this improves your experience!

4. Alan Evans
    Alan Evans says:

1Password (beta) 3.7.b4 installed on Safari 5.1.
    Visiting a new site which asks for a users name and password.
    I fill these in, click submit, then the 1Password button in the toolbar, expecting 1Password to ask me if I want to save the login (after entering 1Password master password). It DOESN’T ask to save login, nor is there any way to get it to do so.
    I’ve tried clicking on the 1Password button before submitting the login, but that doesn’t help either. I’ve uninstalled then re-installed the extension…nothing helps.
    Please advise.

• David
      David says:

Hi Alan, sorry to hear about this. We just released a major new version of the extension with a great redesign based on feedback like yours and a lot of fixes, and I believe AutoSave improvements for situations like this were among them. Please check out our announcement post and the guides I linked in it that explain how to update:

I hope this improves your experience!

5. Jeff Weyand
    Jeff Weyand says:

So, I am running Safari 5.1 and Safari 5.05 w/1P on each. I went back to old safari almost immediately because of 1P issues like my Twitter login. In 5.1, 1P logs me in as create new acct and won’t fill the sign in pop up. What a pain. Old Safari and 1P just logs me in from twit home page. No create a new account time wasting, frustrating side tracks. That’s what 1P is/was so good for. not impressed with Apple’s “upgrades”. Haven’t installed Lion and will not until I hear better things. Thanks for adjusting to Apple’s Vista, but things with 1P have to improve, or I’ll stay with old. The emergence of pop up logins appears to be a recognition issue with !P

« Older Comments