1Password for Mac betas bring Universal Unlock, Copy to Clipboard, more

It’s been a week since Apple released Lion and Safari 5.1. In that time we’ve released a bunch of updates that bring better compatibility and restore your favorite features. We’ve also received a ton of great feedback from you on our new extension and previewed a major redesign we hope to release real soon.

Today we’re back with a pair of huge updates—1Password 3.7 beta and Safari extension 3.7 beta—sporting some great features you’ve been asking for:

• Universal Unlock: Now when you unlock the 1Password app, the new Safari extension will follow suit
  • Copy to Clipboard from the extension: Opening the 1Password app just to copy a password for a Flash site? Old ‘n busted. In the new extension you can now find a Login, click the right arrow (or hit your right arrow key) to view its details, and click the new “Copy” button next to your password for easier pasting
  • Go & Fill/All Logins typing focus works again: After using Command-Option-\ to invoke Go & Fill, keyboard focus will be placed in the search field to keep you going and filling as quickly as possible
  • Much-improved AutoSubmit: Go to System Preferences > Universal Access > Enable Access for Assistive Devices, and 1Password will perform much better at automatically logging you in
  • Auto-Lock settings now respected: Our new extension will once again obey your preferences under 1Password > Preferences > Security for automatically locking your data file
  • Lock 1Password from the command line: For the power users in the audience, you can now lock 1Password from the command line with: “open x-onepassword-agent://lock”

It’s important to note that, while a bonus of our new official extension format is that Safari can now automatically upgrade it without us needing to update the 1Password app, this is one of the few cases where you will need to update both to enjoy these benefits. Since they are beta releases, you will also need to opt into our beta track if you want to help us polish them up for prime time.

If you need help upgrading either 1Password or the new extension, see this document. If you’ve never participated in our beta, please check out this document for how to do so an explanation of what it’s all about.

If you try both the 1Password and extension betas, please follow a couple of short steps once the update processes finish:

• Go to System Preferences > Universal Access, and click Enable Access For Assistive Devices at the bottom of the window
  • Go to 1Password and click Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Agent
  • Restart safari with CMD-Option-Q

As usual, please join us in the forums if you have feedback on these releases!

1. Sander
    Sander says:

When I unlock 1Password in Safari, and I restart Safari, is it normal I have to unlock 1Password again?

• David
      David says:

Hi Sander, have you updated to the latest versions of 1Password and our extension? They’re both at 3.7 beta right now, and the new extension includes Universal Unlock, so it should remain unlocked after you restart Safari and according to your settings in 1Password > Preferences > Security.

If it’s still locking, swing on by our forums where our support folks can help you better than I can:

I hope this helps!

• Sean Fagan
        Sean Fagan says:

sigh. This is not working well.

The app is at 3.6, despite my asking it to check for updates. The extension is at 3.7.1, I think it said.

• Sean Fagan
          Sean Fagan says:

Sorry for the duplicate posts. Safari kept the buffer around after I restarted it, and so I thought it didn’t post. sigh.

• brenty
            brenty says:

Not a problem, Sean! If you update to at least the current stable 3.6.5 release you should be in good shape. Shoot us an email if you are still having trouble (support@agilebits.com). :)

2. Nez
    Nez says:

That’s all good news, I guess. The autosubmit still doesn’t work as expected for me though. If I go to gmail.com, click the 1P icon and fill in my master password, 1Password then expects me to click the saved logon for ‘Gmail’ even though I’ve only got 1 entry. Can’t this just autologin?
    Also, any chance you could shrink the size of the horrendously large popover box?

• David
      David says:

Hi Nez, it sounds like you aren’t running the latest versions of 1Password and the extension. We added Single-Stroke Logins a few updates ago, I believe over the weekend. Please see instructions I linked in this post for updating 1Password and the extension:

That should get you squared away. As for the extension design, did you check the redesign preview post that I linked in the intro paragraph? We’ve had great feedback on it so far.

• Nez
        Nez says:

Hi David,

I’m running the most up to date, edge of my seat, BETA’s. All checked, present and correct.
        However, this still does not work. If I go to gmail.com, click the 1p logon, fill in my master password to does NOT log me in. I have to then click the ‘Gmail’ filed in the extension to logon.
        I did check the design, but I’m still not sure. It looks like I may still have to enter my master password to access the Strong Password Generator…

• David
          David says:

Hi again Nez, and sorry to hear you’re still having trouble with this. If you’re on the latest betas, could you open 1Password and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Agent? Then in Safari, use Command-Option-Q to close all your tabs and quit the browser, then start Safari again and try logging into Gmail.

If that doesn’t fix this issue, could you post this in our forums where our support folks can help you better than I can?

They should be able to track down what’s going on and improve your 1Password experience.

• Nez
            Nez says:

I’ve tried all that and it doesn’t work. I’ve also posted in the forums a few times but there are so many topics, it’s getting confusing!

• Jamie
      Jamie says:

To what David said I’ll add that the one-stroke login doesn’t currently fire when you click the 1P button. If you use the keyboard shortcut, it should automatically log you in if you have just the one login. (There was a report of this not happening if the extension was locked and prompts for your master password, so check that the extension is unlocked if you still don’t see the one-stroke login working.)

Hi Nez,

The Fill Login keyboard shortcut should be working perfectly if you have exactly 1 login and 1Password is unlocked. Please confirm this works for you. The bug you describe only happens if 1Password is locked, and it is something we plan on fixing.

Re: shrinking the popover, this is in the cards and is coming soon. See the previous blog post for a sneak peek :)

• Nez
        Nez says:

Hi Dave,

I’m on 3.6.b.34 and this still occurs for me. Also, the command \ shortcut no longer works since the update. =(

I’ve just used 1password to sign up to a new website and, I must say, it was not a nice experience. I didn’t like the password it generated, but there was no ‘refresh’ icon as before, I had to manually copy the password as there is no copy button. The web form then said that the password was too complex, so I generated a new one and 1password then saved that second logon with exactly the same name! It didn’t ask to replace like it used to.

I hope you guys can fix this soon because it’s just a horrible experience at the moment. =(. I know Apple caused you grief with the script malarky, but this just isn’t 1Password anymore. It feels like I’m fighting it every time I have to use it whereas previously it felt like 1password was doing all the work for me.

• David
          David says:

Hi Nez. This is another feature I believe we’re looking at re-adding, which I know isn’t much consolation in the short term. It’s been a lot of work to get where we are, and I’m sorry 1Password isn’t yet the experience you’ve come to expect. We’re working as hard as we can, so if you can give us some more time, we should have some great updates for you soon.

• Nez
            Nez says:

Thanks David. I haven’t really got much choice than to stick with you guys as 1Password had become such an integral part of my workflow. I just hope that normal functionality can be resumed. Everybody I speak to despises the new look extension and it seems that users on the forums do too. I just want it to work!
            Will the Menu Bar functionality be coming back as I much prefer that that a 1P icon in Safari.

• brenty
      brenty says:

You’re telling me, Nez! We are doing our best to keep up, but it’s a jungle out there!

Shoot us an email (support@agilebits.com) and we will help you as soon as we are able. :)

3. Danilo Oliveira
    Danilo Oliveira says:

Hi,
    I’ve been having problems with the Safari extension since started using it with Lion/Safari 5.1, (I also reported it on Twitter and sent the troubleshooting data via mail).
    The extension will only work if I run the desktop app and unlock it, or else gives me “Data not available”. I made two qui videos of the issues.
    • before unlock the desktop app: http://cl.ly/0I3f2D0W0e0P401X0R1B
    • after unlock the desktop app: http://cl.ly/3d083A2M3X3r1l2t3Z1n
    I hope it helps in any way.

• Danilo Oliveira
        Danilo Oliveira says:

Hello David, I just checked and updated booth the Desktop and the extension before recording these videos, this was today some hours ago.

• brenty
          brenty says:

Hopefully it is working for you now, Danilo, but if you are still having trouble be sure to email us so we can get you up and running (support@agilebits.com). :)

Hi Danilo,

If I’m understanding correctly, this is expected. As the error message states, you need to open and unlock the main 1Password application to allow your data to be synced to Safari.

Once synced, you should be able to lock 1Password and still access the data in Safari. Is this not the case?

• Rafa
        Rafa says:

I just updated Safari to 5.1 and 1Password to 3.6.5 on Snow Leopard.
        I have 1Password open and unlocked, but the Safari extension keeps saying “data not available”.. :-(

• David
          David says:

Hi Rafa, sorry to hear about this trouble. Could you try updating to the betas we just released to see if that helps? Instructions are linked above in the post.

If updating doesn’t help, give the new Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Agent option a try.

I hope this helps!

• Rafa
            Rafa says:

I got the last update [Version 3.7.0 (build 31083)] but after restarting Safari I still had the same problem. However, I started 1Password, unlocked it, then went back to Safari, and this time the unlocking worked on Safari. I had to unlock 1Password this first time, but didn’t need to do it again after restarting both applications.

So now it works :-)

Thanks

I saw a few reports that the “data not available” issue goes away if you open 1Password, unlock it, and modify one of your items. Try editing a Login and see if this works for you.

Please let us know how it turns out.

4. Sean Fagan
    Sean Fagan says:

IGNORE THAT. I had not checked “Include Betas” apparently.

It unlocked in Safari automatically, and I am now so happy I do the dance of joy!

5. David
    David says:

Hey gang, thanks for working so hard to include Lion features into 1Password. I’ve been using the beta and I’d like to give some feedback on the Safari extension. I prefer the old save password prompt / bar that allows me to tag and choose a folder to organize my passwords. I find that I save so many passwords that it all gets very cluttered if I don’t do my organization at the point of saving my passwords. Please consider bringing back the organization features into the save password prompt. Thanks!

• David
      David says:

Hi David, and thanks for your feedback! We certainly miss some of those features too, so we’re looking into what we can bring back. I can’t make any promises right now, but that’s mostly because we just released a major new version of the extension with a great redesign based on feedback like yours and a lot of fixes. Please check out our announcement post and the guides I linked in it that explain how to update:

To make sure everyone is on the same page, I’ll close the comments on this post and direct folks to the new post and our forums, where our support personnel stand ready and waiting to help you better than I can here:

I hope this improves your experience!

6. janusch
    janusch says:

Why you have change today the Design and Colour of Safari Extension????. The OLd one looks so much much more better??? PLease bring it back

• brenty
      brenty says:

Well, I guess you can’t please everyone! We have had a lot of feedback, and overwhelmingly we heard that it was too monochromatic. While I prefer the colour scheme of the last one better, the new version is more compact and gives me easier access to my data, so I can live with that.

We’re not done yet. We hope to win you over in time! :)

7. David
    David says:

Hi everyone! We just released a major new version of the extension with a great redesign and a lot of fixes based on feedback like yours. Please check out our announcement post and the guides I linked in it that explain how to update:

I hope this improves your experience!

Comments are closed.