Quickie update: 1Password 3.7.1 for Mac is out

This is just a quick note to let you know that 1Password 3.7.1 is out of beta! While this doesn’t bring anything major like a much-improved new Safari extension, it does bring a few perks and fixes such as:

• Improved AutoSubmit in Safari extension
  • Now support updating Autosave and Autosubmit settings made in Safari 5.1 extension
  • Improved error logging
  • Improved diagnostics

To grab the update, you can open 1Password and go to 1Password > Check for Updates to set our download gnomes to work.

1. Michael
    Michael says:

You guys are really quick. I mean: really. 1Password is an instantly updating app. (I like that.)

BTW: I am missing the new icon, the one with the key in it, I saw in some screenshots for the new Safari extension…

• David
      David says:

Thanks for the kind words Michael!

As for the toolbar icon with a key in it, might I say you have quite an observant eye. ;) I think we tabled that icon for now and are sticking with the “1P” icon since it’s so identifiable. I wager that, with all the changes we’ve been making lately, this was one place we didn’t need to create any more ripples for now.

• brenty
      brenty says:

I hope we switch to something like that as well. However, I can see how giving both the extension and the button a complete facelift at once could cause some confusion. :)

2. off-road-biker
    off-road-biker says:

Link doesn’t work.

Is there a site where I can check if I have the newest update of 1 Password and Safari extension installed?

3. Alex
    Alex says:

Hi guys, thanks.
    I hope for the next update the possibility to view ALL the icons of the websites (Favicons) bigger when you set 1st way of visualizing, instead of having the standard icon of a World and a small favicon (only for facebook, and few others website, you can see the favicon in big)

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hey there, Alex!

We don’t provide these ourselves; they are part of the websites. We use the nice big Apple touch icons where available, but some sites only offer the smaller favicons — or none at all. Frankly, 16 pixel icons look hideous blown up, so instead of scaling them we add them as a badge to the “globe” icon. Hopefully more websites will start adding higher resolution icons, but only time will tell.

4. Skyler
    Skyler says:

Hey guys, I’ve been using 1password for a good while now, back in Snow leopard I couldn’t live without the safari extension, I used it multiple times a day, it saved me tons of time and I loved it! I noticed that Firefox had a different functionality where when you entered a password that wasn’t in your database it would ask you to save it and cover up the top part of the website you were on until you closed it, I HATED THAT! I was so happy that it didn’t do that in Safari.

Well, here we are in Lion it does that, and tons of my favorite functionalities are gone, and updated to what a lot of people seem to like, which is great an all, but what about us people that go to use 1password and cringe that the new functionality actually is taking time rather than saving it? If there is a way to disable the notification bar asking me to save the password, I would love to know how, I can’t seem to find it, and I REALLY loved the drop down of options when you click the 1password icon instead of the interface. I know that probably isn’t going to come back, but I can only hope some kind of option will be integrated.

Is there any help available for me to get my old awesome 1password back?

Thanks for reading this ridiculously long posting.

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hey there, Skyler! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

You make a lot of good points, and the constructive criticism is most welcome! We are absolutely not where we want to be with our beta extension, but we are making great progress. Transitions are always hard, especially after so many years of consistency. There were a lot of things that were great about the old Safari integration, but plenty that was less than stellar as well. More than anything else, we were all just so used to it.

We built the new Safari 5.1 extension from the ground up to be future-proof to avoid these kinds of hassles in the future. Getting comfortable with something new isn’t easy, but we are going to make sure that we take the great things and combine it with some of the lessons we’ve learned over the years so that the new extension is even better than the old, but it takes time.

I don’t know about you, but I remember some of the other times major browser releases caused some serious trouble for 1Password. This one was no exception, but there is a silver lining: We only have to go through this transition once. After the extension is feature-complete and we are all used to how it works, it will be much easier for us to adapt to changes and update it so that future upgrades are more fluid.

Using our latest 1Password beta, the “Never for this site” option is back, and you can always disable Autosave in the browser completely (1P > Settings > Ask to save new logins) if you like. You should see this in a final release shortly.

Additionally, we are working to bring back the right-click contextual menu. While I can’t offer any guarantees, if there is a way, we will make it happen. :)

5. Brian
    Brian says:

I’m currently running 1Password version 3.7.1 (build 31089). . when I look at my current Safari extension it shows as 3.7.b9. Should the current extension also be 3.7.1? Also what happen to the Save Login option inside the Safari extension?

• Brian
      Brian says:

Under the ‘Updates’ section in the Preference window/screen “Include Beta version” is not checked.

• brenty
        brenty says:

Hey, Brian! This setting is for the main 1Password application only. If you want to be offered 1Password 3.7.2-BETA2 for example, just check the box.

Sorry for the confusion. Since our extension can be updated separately now, it will have its own version number. But never fear! If you have automatic updates for extensions enabled in Safari (Preferences > Extensions > Updates), you don’t even have to worry about that part.

I hope this helps! :)

6. Kevin McGuire
    Kevin McGuire says:

In the latest Safari extension 3.7.b10, I just noticed that the password generator strength scale does not appear to adjust as you vary the parameters. Other than that, everything appears to be functioning normally. I am using the latest version of Snow Leopard if it helps to know that. Thank you for all your hard work!

• David
      David says:

Hi Kevin, nice catch! Looks like you might be right, as the strength meter doesn’t update for me either. I’ll let the folks upstairs know. Thanks for the kind words!

7. Brian
    Brian says:

After opting in for the beta versions can one go back to the “regular” Safari extensions? I’ve tried the following but I keep getting the beta version of the Safari extension:

1) Un-installed the 1Passowrd (beta) extension from Safari
    2) Quit Safari using Command-Q
    3) Opened 1Password and un-checked the ‘include beta version’ from the preference panel.
    4) Restarted the Agent from Help, Troubleshoot
    5) Quit 1Passowrd
    6) Launched 1Passowrd
    5) From the preference panel Install Safari Extension.

It keeps asking me to install the beta extension.

The new extension is awesome.

• brenty
      brenty says:

I am sorry for the confusion, Brian. The beta Safari 5.1 extension is the only Safari 5.1 extension. We had to build it from the ground up to support the new version. It is coming right along though, so we may be able to stop calling it “beta” soon. The “Include beta versions” setting only applies to the main 1Password application. The extension is updated separately. I hoe this helps. :)

8. fogun
    fogun says:

I have updated 1Password to the latest Version 3.7.2, and it is still not auto submitting the page to log in to a website.

9. Chris
    Chris says:

I still always get Problem with Database in Safari 5.1 and 1Password updated. It is really getting old to exit safari, open the 1password app, unlock it then start Safari. When will this be fixed?

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hey there, Chris! This is absolutely not normal.

If you have already updated to the latest versions of 1Password and the extension and you are still having this problem, try Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Agent. Failing that, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report? You can generate one in 1Password on your Mac by going to Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report… Just attach this to an email (support@agilebits.com), and be sure to include any other details or screenshots you can as it will help us understand the problem better. We will get this working for you. :)

10. off-road-biker
    off-road-biker says:

Having big problems – safari 5.1 extension doesn’t work just hyroglyphs
    Using 1 Password Version 3.7.2 (build 31099)
    Safari extension 3.7.b10

Please help :.(

• David
      David says:

Hey Off-road-biker, sorry to hear this. Could you try restarting the 1Password agent by opening 1Password and going to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Agent, then restart Safari as well? See if that kicks things into gear.

If not, get in touch in our forum, where our support folks stand reading and waiting to help with issues like this, and they’re a bit better at it than me:

Thanks!