A 1Password extension beta is ready for Firefox 6 on Mac!

It’s time for the Return of the 1Password! Except in our version of this bad pun there are no cute, spear-wielding woodland teddy bear, just a powerful password and identity manager with a great new browser extension in beta for Firefox 6 on Mac!

Firefox new extension

That’s right, Mozilla quietly released Firefox 6, and 1Password 3.7.5 (our most current, non-beta public release) is ready for it on the Mac! If you want to try out the new extension right now, you’ll need to:

• Make sure you have the latest 1Password by going to 1Password > Check for Updates
  • Update to Firefox 6
  • Install the beta Firefox extension
  • Restart Firefox

If you’d rather wait, we’re putting the finishing touches on 1Password 3.8 (now in public beta), which has the added perk of supporting Firefox 7 and 8 (which are both in various stages of development testing. I know, crazy right?). So what do Firefox 6 users get with our new extension? I’m glad you asked!

• A much more useful slice of 1Password in your browser
  • An all-new gorgeous, flexible interface that fits much better into the way you work, whether you’re a mouse jockey or a keyboard shortcut ninja
  • A bunch of new keyboard shortcuts, including Tab and Shift-Tab to navigate between your Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities, and Right/Left arrows for viewing item details or getting back out to the list of all your items
  • A more visual way to browse, edit, and create new items. You can view key details of each item, copy them to the clipboard, and edit all without dropping what you’re doing to launch the main 1Password app
  • Fast, type-as-you-go search built-in for all item types
  • A new Settings panel built into the extension for toggling things like Universal Unlock (to also unlock the 1Password app) and AutoSubmit
  • and much more!

Please note that the new Firefox extension is only supported on Firefox 6 and above (due to some of the technical complexities between Mozilla’s previous releases), and we’re still working on implementing a few features from the previous Firefox extension version, such as right-click support and HTTP logins. If you’re using Firefox 3, 4, or 5 when 1Password 3.8 arrives, don’t worry: you’ll still be able to download the proper 1Password Firefox extension for your browser from this support document. We’re also working on adding support for our new extension to 1Password for Windows, so stay tuned there. Chrome users: ditto.

But for you Firefox 6 users out there, let us know what you think of the new beta extension in our forum!

« Older Comments
  1. Frazier
    Frazier says:

I installed the extension, but I don’t have the 1password button on my browser. I did restart it and I know the extension is installed and working because I could use the shortcuts. How do I get the button?

• David
      David says:

Hi Frazier. Could you try right-clicking Firefox’s toolbar and choosing Customize? That should display a sheet of buttons you can drag onto your toolbars, and a 1P button should be in there. Let me know if that helps!

• Scott
      Scott says:

It’s on the far right by default now… look there maybe. Then with “Customize” as described by David, you can drag it where you want (hover, see hand icon and drag). Good luck.

2. Deniz
    Deniz says:

Folks, what is the ETA for fixing the issues with the plugin? At this point of time, the plugin is very useless to me for the reasons others and I mentioned earlier. Please give us an update before I start looking for alternative solutions.

Thanks

• Deniz
      Deniz says:

It looks like the functionality of creating a new entry when signing up for a new page is gone too.

Guys, please give us some feedback. When are the issues going to be fixed? I am seriously considering to dump 1Password as a paying customer. It is really effecting my daily work. When are the menus coming back? When are the filling options coming back?

• David
        David says:

HI Deniz, I’m sorry to hear you’re having this trouble. Fortunately, it sounds like you’re running into bugs, which I think we have already addressed with a couple of updates. Could you try:

• updating to the latest versions of 1Password and our extension
        • in 1Password, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Agent
        • restart Firefox just for good measure

That should get 1Password back to its Login saving and filling ways. If you’re still having trouble, please check out our forums, where your issues may have already been addressed, or you can get in direct touch with our support folks and community:

3. Scott
    Scott says:

Excellent job! Please see suggestions/comments below:

1.) Categories: Bring them back please so we can utilize folders (I noticed another comment about this – so add my vote).
    2.) Search is great, and better perhaps with category/folder browse too.
    3.) Make “All Logins” the first screen we see after unlocking 1Password extension. Explained: After unlock, first screen should be “All Logins”/”Search Logins”, not “Logins for this Page”… it takes an extra click to get to my actual Logins. I can’t speak for everyone, but I use 1Password as my bookmarks/favorites for all my websites with logins/accounts, so I don’t navigate to pages manually or with browser bookmarks, and then fire up 1Password to login (this might just be personal pref).
    4.) Bug: “Save New Logins” and updating of existing logins is not working in this release.

Hope these comments help. Thanks!

• Scott
      Scott says:

Also, although I like many things about the new app-like UI, I sure do prefer the no-nonsense drop-down style overall. Search is a value add feature, so probably this UI/development approach was needed just to get that in. It’s ok. Simple is better.

• David
      David says:

Hi Jason, thanks for your feedback. We’re working on improving the new extension for all of our supported browsers. If you can give us a little more time, I think we can give you a much better experience.

If you have a minute, please check out our extension introduction document, as it covers the major features and all the great new stuff we’ve added for both mouse and keyboard users. There are some great things that weren’t possible in the previous extension, and we’ve had fantastic feedback from folks once they get to know their way around. This document is written for Safari, but the extension interface and features are the same now between all of our browsers—just one of the many advantages of this new format, including automatic updates (without having to update the 1Password app):

I hope this helps!

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. [...] important characters in the URL are greyed out to emphasise the domain name. If you use 1Password, there’s a brand new extension for you which works with Firefox 6 – it’s been completely written and now uses pure [...]

Comments are closed.