1Password 3.8 for Mac is out with support for Firefox 6/7 and a new extension setup process

Well that was quick. If it seemed like only yesterday that we released a 1Password 3.8 beta for Mac and initial support for Firefox 6 on the Mac, that’s because it was.

Today we’re happy to say that 1Password 3.8 for Mac is out of beta and so is our Firefox extension. Besides gaining support for Firefox 6 and 7 on the Mac, this 1Password update brings a great change to our extension installation process that’s been a long time coming. We have a new 1Password > Install Extensions menu option, as well as a Preferences > Browsers redesign, that takes you straight to our fancy new extension installation page. This will ensure that you get the latest version of our extensions that are regularly updated for this brave yet crazy new world of break-neck browser release schedules.

In short: if you upgrade to Firefox 6, grab 1Password 3.8 and use our new extension installation page to get the extension you need.

I should also mention that, while we have brought our new extension format to Firefox 6, we haven’t been able to bring all features back, such as right-click and HTTP auth support. We’re working on those. Also, if you need extensions for previous versions of Firefox, you can snag em from our legacy extension page. We know not everyone is always ready to upgrade their browser right away, so we’re trying to keep things as simple and available as possible for our users.

So check out the 1Password 3.8 for Mac update and the new Firefox 6 extension and let us know what you think in our forum!

1. Duane Williams
    Duane Williams says:

Would you please post the version numbers of the latest extensions so I will know for sure that I have the latest ones?

2. KKGM
    KKGM says:

Can you place on Firefox the same kind of extension as the safari style of 1password. Its faster to handle than the current firefox extension.

David says:

Hi KKGM. I believe that’s what we’ve done with this new extension for Firefox 6 on Mac—we brought the Safari interface that’s been out for a couple months to Firefox. Did you update to Firefox 6, install our extension, but you’re still not seeing the new interface? You could try removing all 1Password extensions from Firefox and downloading a fresh copy from our new extension page:

Then restart Firefox just for good measure. Let me know if that works.

3. LE ROY
    LE ROY says:

!!! A counterproductive update !!!
    Now I need three clicks to login instead of one before !!! Extension setup is uggly
    Whate are you doing ???

I am still in trial mode and I think I WILL NOT BUY 1password

David says:

Hi Le Roy, I’m sorry to hear the new extension doesn’t quite do it for you. We’ve had fantastic feedback on it so far, and I wonder if checking out our extension introduction might help:

There are some great tips for using the extension, including how to log in quickly like before, as well as a lot of great new features that weren’t possible before. I hope this can help turn things around for you, but if not, let us know what you would like to see in our forum: http://forum.agilebits.com.

4. Brenden
    Brenden says:

Is there a way to renable the right click menu with the 1Password extension in Firefox? Unless I’m missing something it is not available on my system. Moving half way across my screen to press the 1P button when I could right click in the login field and select the login without moving the mouse inefficient I feel.

Other then that everything looks great and works nicely.

David says:

Hi Brenden. The right-click feature is something we’re looking at bringing back. A lot of the rules and tech around extensions have changed recently so we had to take a few features off the table in order to have something ready for Firefox 6 on day one. Stay tuned.

5. David
    David says:

What did you do? The new browser extension is no way ready for release yet, it’s completely crippled and often just doesn’t work at all, especially with HTTP auth. Please either fix this or go back to the old extension. Is there anyway I can downgrade my firefox / 1password to a working version? Aside from not being able to use it to login half the time, it’s not offering to save logins and even if I try to do it manually, it just doesn’t work.

I hope this extension is fixed up soon because this is no good to me.

David says:

Hi David, I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the new extension. Firefox 6.0 was a pretty big release, and we knew our customers would want a 1Password extension on day one. We’ve been ironing out a lot of the hiccups though so your experience should improve quite a bit soon.

In fact, I believe we’ve released an update or two since this original announcement. Could you try updating and then, in 1Password, try going to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Agent to see if that helps things?

As far as HTTP auth logins, those are going to take a little time since a lot has changed with browser extensions lately. This is a known issue right now, though I’m sorry I don’t have better answer for you on those just yet.

If you’re still having trouble, please check out our forums, where your issues may have already been addressed, or you can get in direct touch with our support folks and community:

6. Volker
    Volker says:

Dear agile Team,

I do have 1password for windows and have updated firefox to version 6 – including the new 1password extention. but this doesn’t work – the master password doesn’t unlock my database. what happend?????? :-(

regards,
    volker

David says:

Hi Volker. I apologize for any confusion, but our new Extension for Firefox 6 is only for Mac right now. We’re in the process of updating 1Password for Windows to support this new extension format, and we’ll announce here on the blog as soon as we have some news on that front.

For now, if you want to keep using 1Password within Firefox on Windows, you’ll have to downgrade to the previous version. Sorry for the inconvenience.

7. Ed Wall
    Ed Wall says:

I’ve been with you from the beginning and unfortunately I upgraded to Firefox 6 and unfortunately have the new extension. This is not good. I’m not sure if there aren’t some subtleties I’m missing, I just happened to visit some problematic sites, or if this extension is just badly designed. However, I find that the only thing I like about it is that I can see all the detail when before I had to launch 1Password before. It would be nice, however, if that information stayed when I tried to enter something into a field and it would be nice if the copy button worked. I had to use the app version of 1Password to do that.
    I very seldom send comments, but I do use this program as it saves me time and just recently I found it necessary to enter a lot of information by hand that 1Password one did with a click. So I am not overjoyed on the ‘improvements.’

Ed Wall

David says:

Hi Ed! Thanks for being a 1Password customer, and I’m sorry your experience with the new Firefox extension has been anything but stellar. Firefox 6 was a pretty big change and we’re working hard on squashing the bugs you mention.

Give us a little time and we can polish the extension up to your standards. Thanks again, and you should hear from us again soon here on the blog.

8. Steve Smith
    Steve Smith says:

Well, so far I’ve spent 30 minutes trying to get the new extension working with Firefox 6, but no cigar. FF says the extension is installed successfully, but I can’t get the 1P button to appear. I’ve uninstalled the extension several times and tried everything I can think of – what’s next?

Incidentally, at some point I did Remove the previous versions of the Extension from FF (i.e. v4 and v5 extensions) because it said they weren’t compatible – so now I have only the 3.8.1 extension installed. Is that a factor?

• Michael
      Michael says:

Right click on the Firefox toolbar and select “Customize”.
      Find the 1P button and drag it to your toolbar. That worked for me.

David says:

Hi Marcy. Did you install our new extension that I linked in this post? It also couldn’t hurt to update 1Password (1Password menu > Check for Updates) either. Please try that, but if you’re still having trouble, check our forums to see if we’ve solved this issue for other users or get in direct touch with our support folks:

I hope this helps.

• sean chandler
      sean chandler says:

silly rabbit! I just noticed that the 1P icon was all the way over on the right of the google search bar in FF

So I right-clicked on the FF toolbar and chose customize, then dragged the 1P icon back to where it belongs, next to the Next / Previous buttons

Why did you put it all the way over there on the right? That;s going to confuse a few people I’m sure

David says:

Hi Sean, that’s pretty odd. Could your 1P button possibly have moved to the far right of your toolbar anywhere? In Firefox, it looks like when you add a button to the toolbar, it disappears as an option from that customize sheet.

If you still can’t see your button, see if we’ve helped other folks with this issue in our forum, or get in direct touch with our support folks there about it:

One way or the other we can get you taken care of.

9. CLW
    CLW says:

I have pressed the check for updates button in One Password multiple times and it says I’m up to date. Unfortunately, I’m actually running 3.5 and so I cannot get the Firefox 6 extension to work. Ideas? Is there a manual way to download the upgrade? Thanks

David says:

Hi CLW. I apologize for any confusion, but 1Password 3.5 does not support Firefox 6, since our only extension that supports Firefox 6 requires 1Password 3.6 or newer. If you cannot upgrade to a later version of 1Password, you’ll have to downgrade Firefox to a pre-6.0 version.

10. Andrew Dorfman
    Andrew Dorfman says:

I’ve updated both my browser (Firefox 6.0) and 1Password, and now everything is screwed up. Logins don’t always work, I’m no longer prompted to save new logins, and occasionally trying to autofill passwords navigates to a random website (I can only guess that it’s somehow triggering “Stumble!”

Also, things that used to take one click from a pull-down menu, now require me to navigate using multiple clicks.

I would NEVER have bought this program had it originally functioned this poorly.

• Andrew Dorfman
      Andrew Dorfman says:

Can I downgrade both my browser and 1 Password? It used to be convenient- now it’s a hassle.

David says:

Hi Andrew! I’m sorry to hear the new extension is a hassle, but is there a chance we could help you learn how to use the new extension instead of making you go through all the work of downgrading? The other advantage is that by staying on current software, everything will continue to work and you’ll have the latest security updates.

Please check out our extension introduction document which can help you learn about the new interface and all our new features, for which we’ve receive a lot of fantastic feedback. This doc is written for Safari, but the interface and features are the same across our supported browsers, including Firefox:

You can also check our forums to see if we’ve solved any issues you’re experiencing, or you can get in direct touch with our support folks there:

I hope this helps!

David says:

Hi Andrew. I’m sorry to hear about your experience, but hopefully I can help you get back on track. Some bump roads are an unfortunate reality of major OS releases like Lion and Firefox, as there are usually a large number of significant changes it’s a tough challenge to be ready on day one.

First, let’s try making sure everything is up to date, as we’ve been releasing frequent updates to iron out various issues. Give this a shot:

• Update 1Password by going to 1Password > Check for Updates
      • Open Firefox and go to Tools > Addons, then in the window that opens, click the Gear menu and choose Check for Updates
      • Back in 1Password, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Agent

That should improve things for you. If not, something else might be going on, and it could be anything—another add-on that isn’t compatible with Firefox 6 could be causing trouble, or perhaps 1Password just needs a nudge in the right direction. If you’re still having trouble, please check our forums to see if we’ve already helped someone else with a similar issue, or to get in direct touch with our support folks who can help you better than I can:

One way or another we can take care of you and deliver a great 1Password experience.

11. Douglas Bell
    Douglas Bell says:

Hey, I love the new extension UI for the Safari and Firefox extensions. But I’m still an avid Chrome user, and the UI for the newer extensions makes the Chrome extension look kinda ugly. Any word on when the new UI will come across to the Chrome extension?

Also, is 1Password no longer supporting Fluid browsers? I didn’t even know what Fluid was until I saw it in the list of browsers that 1Password supported. Would be a shame to see that support vanish…

David says:

Hi Douglas! This new version of our extension is in beta for Chrome. If you want it, just visit our fancy new extension download page and enable the beta option in the sidebar:

As for Fluid, we still support it right now under Snow Leopard, but Apple removed some tech we need to do that in Lion. If you’re already on Lion, we’re trying to find another method for supporting it, but we don’t have anything to announce right now.

12. Jack L
    Jack L says:

I am a big fan of 1Password and I really appreciate all the work you guys do. However, I think this latest version is a step back in two ways. Usability has been diminished with the new UI and functionality is less reliable than previous versions.

The notion of “go and fill in” has been obfuscated with the new UI and it is clunky. Even though I tell it not to prompt me for a master password, it still briefly shows that window before listing my logins. All in all, I have to perform many more mouse clicks to complete tasks than in earlier versions.

Functionality is not as reliable. Many logins are not being completely filled in (entering email address for instance) when they always would in the past.

I’m looking forward to better revisions. Thanks.

David says:

Hi Jack! Sorry our new Firefox extension isn’t quite what it should be yet, but we’re working hard on improvements across the board, including reliability, form filling, and interface quirks. Stay tuned.

13. Ben Palmer
    Ben Palmer says:

Thanks for the quick integration into Firefox 6, although the new version is like the Chrome extension. The original 1Password plugin was the only thing keeping me on Firefox.

One thing I have noticed though is that site with .htpasswd dialog boxes no longer work with the extension. There used to be an option to bring up logins but there isn’t now.

David says:

Hi Ben! We’re working on the HTTP auth/htpasswd logins problem. There were some big changes to extension tech lately so it’s a challenge. Stay tuned.

14. Niels
    Niels says:

How I can authenticate that the plugin is from agile bits? Is there a HTTPS source?
    And how do you protect the plugins against tampering?

15. Jen
    Jen says:

So my version is 3.5.13 (build 30888) and it says it’s up to date no matter how many times I tell it to check! I tried checking beta versions, but it still won’t upgrade. Help?

16. Ross Collins
    Ross Collins says:

I’ve found that copying my credit card numbers from the wallet in my 1Password 3.8 Firefox 6 extension doesn’t work. The previous contents of the clipboard remain. Can you reproduce?

17. Joanne
    Joanne says:

IMO the Firefox 6 extension is a BIG step backward in usability. In particular, sites for which I have multiple logins require 3 or 4 clicks. Even regular sites require an extra click. I always have to look at the screen to see if I did enough clicks. (I could do it blindfolded in the past.) For me, the most compelling feature of 1P has always been quick, streamlined logins, so it baffles me that an upgrade would step backward on that. Not a happy camper here. Yes, I’ve read the extension intro document.

Comments are closed.