The 1Password extension right-click returns from the sunset

Remember at the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when Indy, Dr. Henry Jones, Sallah, and Marcus were riding off into the sunset, and you wished they didn’t have to? That’s kinda like the right-click feature of our completely redesigned 1Password extension: with the releases of Lion, Safari 5.1, and Firefox 6, it had to ride off into the sunset, but we knew you wished it didn’t have to end that way. So our developers donned their best fur fedoras and set out on a quest to see if our right-click hero could return, never forgetting the cardinal rule: Xcode marks the spot.

I am happy to say that our developers were successful, and they didn’t even have to deal with any snakes, flying refrigerators, or crystal skulls! As of 1Password extension version 3.8.2 for Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on the Mac, the right-click menu is back (Chrome users: you’ll have to opt into the beta version since we’re still polishing the extension up for you). You can now right-click to view all your Logins for the current site, fill a Login into the current form, and open the 1Password extension to fill Wallet and Identity items.

Safari users should note, however, that the right-click menu will work a little differently than Chrome and Firefox; you’ll see available Logins in the main right-click menu instead of listed under a sub-menu. This is due to a limitation in Safari’s extension APIs for third-parties, and we’ve reported the issue to Apple. We also made a bunch of changes and fixes for Safari and Firefox users, including a lot of improvements to the extension’s communication with the main 1Password app, support for Firefox 7, and more.

Your browser should automatically update to the latest version of our extension. But if you want to get it right away, you can visit our extension download page or open the 1Password app, update if necessary, and go to 1Password > Install Browser Extensions.

As far as our next task after this release, we’re focusing on improving AutoSave, especially for Firefox users. If you give the new right-click features a try, let us know what you think in our forum!

1. Mike
    Mike says:

I loved the old right click – this one is a step closer but no cigar. The problem is that I’m forced to use the funny window thing if I’m not logged into 1password. What’s the point of adding this feature if I’m forced to use the clumsy new feature. It is clumsy because it doesn’t fit in the workflow. The old way was slick and fitted into the browser usage workflow. The new window thing does not fit into the browser usage workflow. Please bring it back to the old way. PLEASE!!!!

• David
      David says:

Hi Mike, I’m sorry to hear the new extension still doesn’t fit into your workflow. Could you explain a little more about how your workflow works? We’ve had great feedback overall so far with the new extension and the return of the right-click feature. As far as I can tell, the workflow is still largely the same if 1Password is locked: you can still right-click, but you’ll have to move your hands from the mouse to the keyboard to type in your Master Password to unlock.

In the old extension, you could then continue using your keyboard to navigate some aspects of the extension to find the right lock, or you could shift your hand back to the mouse and navigate that way, so that really isn’t different in the new extension. But if you elect to keep your hand on the keyboard, the new extension is far more friendly to keyboard shortcuts than the old version. If you’d like to see what some of those keyboard shortcuts are and whether they might help your workflow, check out my previous blog post here:

Let me know if these help or if there are other ways we can improve the new extension workflow.

• brenty
      brenty says:

Any time! Personally, I am all about the keyboard shortcuts these days. ⌘⌥\ (Command+Option+Backslash) and ⌘\ FTW! :)

• brenty
      brenty says:

You are most welcome! We couldn’t do it without the support of you and the rest of our awesome customers. And the best is yet to come! :)

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hey there, Preben! Thanks for bringing this up. We are aware of the issue and are looking into it. Hopefully we will be able to narrow down the cause and get this fixed shortly!

2. Mike
    Mike says:

The workflow was:
    1 – browse to the site using the web browser’s bookmarks or auto look up in the address bar
    2 – right click to select the auto fill from the contextual menu
    3 – if 1password was unlocked then press enter
    4 – if 1password was locked, enter password press enter twice

The new workflow is:
    1 – browse to the site using the browser’s features
    2 – right click to access 1password
    3 – if 1password is unlocked it worked as before (except a little better than before because it’s not in a popout)
    4 – if 1password is locked enter password – navigate to the desired password – press enter twice

Okay – it’s not a great deal different but the old way put the navigation part up front so it was more intuitive and was faster. Also the new way doesn’t work for browser windows that have the address bar hidden. And the new right click puts the selection of which login you want in two places. It’s in the contextual menu when 1password is unlocked and in the window thing when it is locked. That’s not very intuitive.

The old extension was exactly what I hoped this product would be. It was virtually invisible. I didn’t have to change the way I used my web browser. All I had to do was right click to select the appropriate saved login. It slipped into the everyday workflow without a thought. Now, however, it’s not invisible and requires a little thought. I don’t want to have to learn new keyboard shortcuts. So, hopefully, that helps to explain the frustration of this change.

Therefore, I am hoping to see the selection of saved logins always appear in the contextual menu and then be prompted to unlock 1password if necessary.

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hey there, Mike! Thanks for the feedback. I am not clear which browser you are using, but there are some differences and limitations in what we can do with contextual menus depending on the browser, unfortunately.

It definitely takes a little thought and some getting used to. We have some great ideas on how to improve it even more, but right now there is actually an even faster way to get where you want to go that doesn’t involve the address bar at all! Just press ⌘⌥\ (Command+Option+Backslash) to bring up the 1Password extension window to the All Logins tab, type a few letters to find the Login item you want, and hit enter to have 1Password open a new tab, navigate to the site, and Fill & Submit the login form! And if you are already on a site that you only have a single Login item stored for, simply press ⌘\ to log right in — no selection necessary!

Thanks for the detailed post! If you have any other questions, just ask. We are always here to help! :)

3. Mark
    Mark says:

This is not directly related to this workflow, but you guys are now consuming way too much of my time. It seems that every couple of days there is an update, and it doesn’t always auto-update.

I love your product and tell everyone about it but between you, Apple, Firefox and (yuk) Adobe, my life is spent running updates. I know the mantra around releases but this is getting out of control.

As a guide, I expect updates no more frequently than say 4 times a year. The more software providers update, the more the majority of users will ignore you. I know that my wife has an enormous capacity to ignore updates – she will sit at the screen with multiple flashing prompts and just wish for them all to go away….

• David
      David says:

Hi zx. Could you try showing your toolbar, removing the 1P button (just hold Command and drag it off), then hiding your toolbar? That might make it work.

Of course, make sure you’ve updated the 1P app and extension just to be sure.

4. Michelle Muto
    Michelle Muto says:

I have so many passwords that it’s sort of a pain to have to type in the first characters of the site. With the old version, I used tags a lot. Financial, Shopping, Utilities, etc. This helped me find and log in much faster.
    Thanks for the continuous improvement and updates! It certainly tells us you not only care, but are on top of things. Great job!

5. Jason
    Jason says:

WOW I will be darned if the extensions download page isn’t the most well hidden page on the entire internet LOL. But I have to admit to waging a discussion board campaign to desert 1password and agilebits for dismissing user demands to have the context menu ready for Lion.

But it’s back so I have to give them total credit for that.

Except I installed the extentsion on OS X 10.7.2 (dev copy) w/ Safari 5.1 (7524.49) and it’s all errors and bugs because I have fast switching turned on. Thus now they say I have to go through each of my many user accounts and install the extension. Hopefully in a few hours I might be able to start “saving time” with this program again…

• David
      David says:

Hi Jason! Thanks for your feedback and for giving us some points for returning features. We’re definitely working on them as we know we’re nothing without our users. Some things just take time. Between the releases of Lion, Safari 5.1, and Firefox 6, we’ve had to rethink and rewrite a tremendous amount of code. This also goes for the Fast User Switching issue you mentioned. We’re aware and working on it, so stay tuned to the blog here for when we’re able to squash it.

As far as the extension download page is concerned, it is hidden in some ways for good reason; we wouldn’t want people finding it and installing without having the 1Password application installed, since it really wouldn’t do much. Fortunately, that page is designed to be found and accessed extremely easily from within the 1Password app, such as the 1Password > Install Browser Extensions menu, the Preferences > Extensions pane. Combined with our first-run setup prompts for new users, those seem to get most customers squared away. Thanks!

Comments are closed.