1Password, the Mac App Store, and you

Yes, you read that headline right, and no, your eyes do not deceive you. After months of arduous work from our developers, and tons of tweets, forum requests, and sacrificial offerings from you fine folks and even customers-to-be, we are elated to announce 1Password for Mac is now in the Mac App Store.

MAS banner

What’s new?

Our Mac App Store release is version 3.9, and it’s a significant update from version 3.8 on our website. Even though it’s not the 4.0 upgrade we have in the works, 1Password 3.9 packs some fantastic new features, like:

• A brand new system-wide menu bar item with access to Go & Fill, toggling AutoSubmit, and locking and opening the 1Password app. We’ve had a ton of requests for this feature over the years and we’re really excited to get it out there
  • Full Screen mode on Lion
  • Even tighter security on Lion with PBKDF2 Calibration and compliance with Apple’s upcoming “sandboxing” rules to prevent 1Password from having access to any files it doesn’t need to touch
  • An all-new setup process to help new users find their way around and get browser extensions installed
  • Much more!

This is also our first release that is Lion-only. Like The Omni Group and our other esteemed peers, we’ve seen unprecedented Lion adoption from our customers. When we considered all the work we’ve done to prepare 1Password for the Mac App Store, the security benefits Lion had to offer, and the incredible pace at which Mac users are picking up Lion, we decided this was the right time.

If you’re on Snow Leopard though, don’t worry. 1Password 3.8 isn’t disappearing from our website anytime soon, and we like to take care of our customers (heck, we still answer email support questions for our Leopard and even Tiger customers, and Tiger came out over six years ago!). In fact, we just released 1Password 3.8.5 at the same time 1Password 3.9 debuted in the store, and it has something the Mac App Store version doesn’t (yet): support for the WebKit browser.

You have questions, we have answers

We know the Mac App Store transition evokes a lot of questions, and we’ve been listening in our forum, on Twitter, and elsewhere. How much does the Mac App Store version cost? Can I transition my 3.x license into the store? What about family licenses? What else is different in the Mac App Store version?

We’ve created an FAQ in our forum to address a lot of the common questions, so please check out that thread and browse and search the other threads our customers have created. Folks have been asking questions in our forum so it’s a great place for us to answer the same question from many customers at once. But to get you started, I’ll try to address some of the biggest questions here.

Can I transition my existing 1Password 3.x license into the Mac App Store?

We would love to give you a way to transition your license, but Apple doesn’t allow it at this time in the Mac App Store, and hasn’t shown signs of changing that policy (trust me: it’s something we’ve all been asking for since Apple previewed the store in fall 2010). However, we have some good news in the FAQ just above this one to help customers transition into the store.

I can’t/don’t want to upgrade to Lion, what about me?

We love to take care of our customers and 1Password 3.8 will continue to be available for download from our changelog page, just like many versions are all the way back to (as of this writing) 2.12, an update to our 2.x version that was released almost two years ago.

But this is also where a huge advantage of our major extension redesign comes into play. Because we can now update our extension independently from the main 1Password app, and because Safari, Firefox, and Chrome all auto-update their extensions, we can keep 1Password 3.8 users current with browser updates right alongside 3.9 and 4.0 users. So even if you stick with the 3.8.x versions, your 1Password and browser extensions can stay compatible with browser updates for quite a while.

Still have questions? Join us in the forum!

Like I said, we know there are going to be a lot of questions over this transition and we’re happy to help. While we love comments here on the blog, our forum is the best place to get current and quick support right now. In fact, your question may have already been answered there, so please check our Mac App Store FAQ or search our main forum, but if all else fails, feel free to create a new thread and we’ll be happy to help!

« Older Comments
  1. Will Jessop
    Will Jessop says:

1Password is indispensable, but I really wish I wasn’t being forced (at some point you’ll stop supporting 3.x) onto the App Store to get updates. I’ve bought the App Store version, but I’m not happy about it.

I use the App store for stuff I don’t care about, throw away stuff like games, because I don’t like the current and unknown future control Apple has over the way people distribute and use software, and the ridiculously large cut they take out in the process.

• David
      David says:

Hi Will. Thanks for your feedback, and we’re listening to our customers on this topic. The Mac App Store is new territory for all of us, so we’re assessing how this all goes.

As far as the percentage Apple takes from each sale, we’re actually pretty happy with it. We’ve never spent much money on marketing, and it’s a great source of publicity and getting in front of a massive audience that otherwise may never have sought out other venues where they would’ve had the chance to hear about us. Plus, we’re in the same bucket as a lot of other developers in feeling that the time, man power, and support load that we save in simply not having to deal with problems in running our own store could be worth the cost alone. :)

2. Citizen of Texas
    Citizen of Texas says:

I run 3.8.2 and want to take advantage of your $20 offer while it lasts but I don’t plan to use Lion until I buy a new Mac next year. Can I go to the Mac App store now and pay for it and let it “sit on the shelf” for six months and use it once I have a Lion machine?

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hey there, Lone Star! I ran into this problem myself, but was able to log into my Apple ID using another Mac running Lion to make the purchase for the future. Unfortunately(?) the Mac App Store will not let you buy an app that will not run on your system. But if you have a friend with a Lion Mac maybe they can help you out! I hope this helps. :)

3. Jim
    Jim says:

A longtime Yojimbo user, I still decided to try to switch to 1Password and bought a full licenses – less than two months ago. In that time, I’ve struggled to make the transition. Perhaps I’m just too old school, but a lot of your product’s chrome just seems to get in the way.

This… doesn’t help. I understand – “buy the MAS version now for %50 off a full license and get the promised 4.0 version for free!” But I’d rather see, “We’re moving to MAS for our product distribution and will move exclusively to MAS when we release 4.0″. That speaks (says the 40-something fellow who has been in tech for a couple decades) a little more to consideration for the transition you’re asking of your users.

I still have my 3.8.5 license. I’ll have to consider this.

• David
      David says:

Hi Jim, thanks for your feedback and for being an AgileBits customer! I certainly understand the sentiment, as we had to contend with a number of difficult decisions like this when getting into the Mac App Store. One problem we realized is that, even if we released 3.9 both in and out of the store, we would run into situations like this where a customer bought close enough to our MAS-only launch to be upset about buying the non-MAS license.

We’re listening very closely to our customers as we move forward, as this is new territory for all of us. So thanks again for your feedback.

4. 1password Security.
    1password Security. says:

Dear 1Password team! Please make Agile Keychain more secure by ENCRYPTING website links in the database, this is a very disappointing security flaw, which means that we (users) just can’t use plausible deniability if someone forces us to reveal a password. (or any other kind of “deniability”. Please encrypt everything, not login credentials….

5. Dana
    Dana says:

I too am more than willing to pay the upgrade price now, but can’t because I am not ready to move from SL to Lion. I’m sure there are others in the same position, and hope that you can provide an equitable path for us too. I just found out about the upgrade in today’s Sept 12 issue of TidBITS, but do see several others in the comments before me asking the same question – I expect you will get more in the days to come.

• Dirk
      Dirk says:

Same here. I have some issues with other software and can’t switch to Lion. Now it seems, that I have to pay the the full price for an 1password upgrade in some time.

• brenty
        brenty says:

I hear you, Dirk! I am still on Snow Leopard myself, but was able to log into my Mac App Store account to purchase 1Password at the introductory price using a Mac running Lion. You may be able to do the same if you know someone running Lion. If not, we will continue to offer the sale price for as long as we can, but at this point I cannot say for certain how long that will be.

6. matt
    matt says:

I’ve heard there are changes in 3.9 with how 1Password will interact with Dropbox. Where can I find out more information about this?

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hey, matt! Actually, 1Password still works with Dropbox as it has. The only difference is that the location of the data in Dropbox can no longer be customized since we have to get approval for anywhere we need to access on the system. Currently, the 1Password.agilekeychain must be stored in the root of the Dropbox folder, but we are looking into using a subfolder in the future to allow for sharing.

7. Daniel
    Daniel says:

I have a “1Password 3″ license, so why exactly do I have to buy 3.9 when my license is for all 3.X releases and how is that not breaking a contract?

• brenty
      brenty says:

I am sorry for the confusion, Daniel! While there is no contract, your 1Password license is still fully valid, and we will continue to support you with updates and assistance. You absolutely do not need to purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store to take advantage of that. However, if you like you can purchase it to get the free upgrade to 1Password 4 when it is released. It is cheaper than the upgrade to 1Password 3! :)

8. Doug Hoiles
    Doug Hoiles says:

I currently have your family pack which allows 5 (I think) installations. I am using 4 of them. Does this mean I have to make 4 purchases from the App Store?

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hey, Doug! That depends on your situation. If you use the same Apple ID for the Mac App Store on all of your personal Macs, you will be able to use the same purchase on each, as it is tied to your account. Just keep in mind that the licenses you have already purchased are still valid (and work on Lion!) and we will continue to support you with updates and assistance, as we do for the folks using 1Password on Snow Leopard, Leopard, and Tiger. And also, our family pack was intended for 5 individuals living within the same household. Each licensed person is entitled to use 1Password on as many Macs as they use personally. I hope this helps! :)

• Doug Hoiles
      Doug Hoiles says:

Brenty,
      I meet the family pack license terms, but thinking about it my Mac at our store can’t run Lion. So will I still be able to synchronize 1P between version 3.8 at the store and Lion V 3.9 and up at home?
      Doug

• brenty
      brenty says:

Absolutely, Doug! 1Password 3.9 (MAS) , 1Password 3.8 (Snow Leopard and Lion), 1Password 3.5 (Leopard), and 1Password 2.12.1 (Tiger) all use the same AgileKeychain format, so sync’ing between any of them is seamless. If you need help with licensing or getting sync set up, just contact me on the forum and I will do whatever I can to assist you: http://forum.agilebits.com

9. Harrie Westphal
    Harrie Westphal says:

My biggest problem with the App Store is that everytime I go to it, or any part of the Apple store, I find that my account is locked for some reason. I believe that someone knows my email address, and hence my ID, and continually tries to hack in to my account, forcing Apple to once again lock it. Okay, I can go through Apples process to unlock it; however, my latest attempt to do this it will not accept any of the passwords in my 1Password history for Apple passwords and I have absolutely no idea of how to get my account back into my hands to be able to use it. This is going to leave me really high and dry when it comes to using 1Password in the future. Guess I had better build an Excel spreadsheet with all of the passwords in order to go on.

• brenty
      brenty says:

I am sorry to hear that, Harrie! I suggest that you contact Apple. It may be possible for you to change your Apple ID if this has been an ongoing problem for you.

Just to clarify though, once the 1Password app is downloaded from the Mac App Store (which you can do if your account is not locked temporarily), you do not need to validate your account every time you use 1Password. If the machine is authorized, you can continue to use all of your Mac App Store apps, even offline. I hope this helps. :)

10. Jefferson
    Jefferson says:

How about putting 1Password Pro on sale for free again to celebrate 1password in the Mac App Store? It really should be a inexpensive/free companion app IMHO.

• brenty
      brenty says:

Thanks for the suggestion, Jefferson! We had it on sale for quite a while recently, but we will certainly consider doing so again. While we would love to offer it for free, it is a completely separate app that requires resources to develop and support. Doing so allows us to make a living doing what we love, and we are grateful to all of our awesome customers for that! :)

11. William Anderson
    William Anderson says:

I can’t live without this app and I’ll gladly pay $20 to stay in the loop. I am mixed up with the family licence though as I am not sure how to get the app on my wife’s computer now.

Keep up the excellent work, your team rocks!

andy

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hey there, William! I am sorry for the confusion. Licensing works a bit differently on the Mac App Store, but you can either buy your wife her own copy if she has a separate Apple ID associate with the Mac App Store, or you can log into your own Apple ID on the other Mac as well so that you both can share purchases.

12. Matt
    Matt says:

I just bought 1P 14 days ago from your site. Is it possible to get a refund on that purchase to use for the MAS version? Thanks.

• brenty
      brenty says:

Hey, Matt! Please email us (support at agilebits dot com) and we will see what we can do for you. Thanks in advance! :)

Update: Actually, it appears that we have already issued you a refund. Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you! :)

13. Robert
    Robert says:

I have been a satisfied user since last December but had not been in a hurry to move to Lion since I have to upgrade my memory on two computers, but would like to take advantage of the upgrade offer.
    Can I purchase 1 Password from MAS now and download it after I upgrade and install Lion?

• David
      David says:

Hi Robert, and thanks for being a 1Password customer!

As far as purchasing 1Password from the Mac App Store before you upgrade to Lion, Apple unfortunately offers no way to do this. If you purchase an app, it needs to be compatible with the OS of the Mac you are currently using. However, there is a workaround you might be able to use.

Do you have a friend who has upgraded to Lion? If so, you could ask your friend to sign out of the Mac App Store (Store > Sign Out), then you can sign in with your account and purchase 1Password. Be sure to delete 1Password once it finishes downloading since your friend does not own a license for it, and that way you can get in on our sale price now.

I hope this helps!

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. [...] Store. Click here : best mac app store apps and mac app store news for more in-depth information.What are iPad Programs? IPad apps are applications for the Apple iPad. More distinctly, most iPad ap…download a free or bought application to your iPad or iPhone. These iPad and iPhone applications are [...]

2. [...] 1Password for the mac is on sale for $19.99 in the Mac App Store, so I finally got it. If you are overwhelmed with managing passwords for every website you need to login to, this can save your sanity and do it securely.   [...]

3. [...] את השדרוג לגרסה 4 בחינם. פרטים נוספים אתם  יכולים למצוא בבלוג של Agile Web Solutions (החברה [...]

4. [...] 公式ブログの1Password, the Mac App Store, and youを見てみると、英語がよくわからない私にもなんとなく伝わってきました。 [...]

5. [...] out the AgileBits blog post on the Mac App Store release for lots more details and FAQ answers: http://blog.agilebits.com/2011/09/1password-the-mac-app-store-and-you/ Google just Launched their +1 Button. Show your Support for iSource By Clicking! No CommentsNo [...]

6. [...] gute sechs Wochen später, lese ich das Announcement von Agile Bits, dass sie ab sofort 1Password auch über den Mac App Store vertreiben. Und das zum Preis von 20 [...]

7. [...] significant if you use it because all future versions will be sold only on the App Store. From the Agilebits blog post: How much does the Mac App Store version cost, and what about 1Password [...]

Comments are closed.