Here's to five years of 1Password

Know what happened on this day in history? Sure, Smart introduced the US to its new car, the Soviet Union got on board with banning nukes from outer space, and Pete Townshend wrote the anthem of a generation. Oh yeah, and it’s the tenth anniversary of Apple’s first retail store.

It’s also the day that Roustem Karimov and Dave Teare, co-founders of AgileBits, released the first beta of 1Password to the world.

Yep, on May 19, 2006, version 0.8 of 1Password became the first that Mac users had the pleasure of experiencing (a public beta, of course). Back then, we were still called Agile Web Solutions, and 1Password was missing a couple letters from its name. I remember discovering “1Passwd” when I wrote for TUAW and immediately becoming enamored with it.

1Password has come a long way in five years. It’s kept pace with new browsers and Mac OS X releases, gained a bunch of great new features from Secure Notes to Dropbox syncing and 1PasswordAnywhere, and it even gained a Windows version! It also picked up those missing letters and, more recently, we changed our name to AgileBits.

This is also probably a good time to mention that I’m back! I joined the company in 2009, got tempted away by Macworld in 2010, and have since returned to my senses. Fortunately, Roustem, Dave, Nik, and my other friends at AgileBits were in a generous mood, so I was able to return and don a few different Agile hats, including the Agile Blog.

But back to the app of the hour: 1Password. It’s become the password and identity manager to have, and we owe it all to you. As we toast to five years of our flagship product, we also toast you, our fantastic customers, for making it happen.

1. spungee
    spungee says:

oh wow, i had forgotten about the shorter name for the app, but remember it now! from a long-time supporter and user, congratulations! you’ve made it this far because from the beginning, you’ve put out the best darn password-keepin’ software possible, and you somehow continue to improve upon it even as it seems it just can’t get any better. here’s to another 5 years, and many more… cheers!

2. Thom Robinson
    Thom Robinson says:

Congrats…I’ve been using this for about a year now and wouldn’t leave home without it. Keep up the good work and here’s to many many more years of continued success.

3. Angus Fox
    Angus Fox says:

I actually dont know most of my passwords anymore. What a wonderful thing that is – it means I am free from the tyranny of remembering a zillion ways to create a password, or worse from the security hole of using the same password for more than one thing.

Thank you and keep going! Happy birthday.

Angus

4. Craig Paterson
    Craig Paterson says:

Congrats to the 1Password team. I have been using 1Password since 21st November 2006 and I can’t believe it’s been nearly 5 years I have been a user.
    1Passwd and 1Password have saved my bacon on a few occasions and I use it on multiple occasions daily, so I reckon it has been an extremely worthwhile investment.
    Long live Agile Web Solutions and 1Password! Hip, Hip, Hooray!

5. jaehyo
    jaehyo says:

한글로도 남기면 좋겠다 라는 생각에 한글로 남깁니다. 5주년을 축하해요!!
    더 발전되고 멋진 프로그램으로 암호 관리 프로그램의 최고가 되기를 희망 합니다.
    다시 한번 5주년을 축하드립니다.

6. Tony
    Tony says:

According to 1Password Pro, it stores 126 login items for me. I can’t imagine life without 1Password. Thanks guys, for making such an amazing product!

Trackbacks & Pingbacks