(Updated) 1Password 3.6 shakes hands with Firefox 5, Lion, and Fluid

Please return your seats to their upright positions and fire up your software update clicking fingers, because 1Password 3.6 is here!

As we previewed last month, there are some big new features and changes under the hood, so be sure to read the details below or in our release notes:

• Firefox 5 support – Mozilla is stepping up its browser release schedule, and Firefox 5 officially comes out of beta tomorrow, Tuesday June 21. Now you can be ready for it a day early! Initially we support Firefox 5 on the Mac, and we’re working on Windows support. Because of Mozilla’s brisk new pace, though, we have dropped support for Firefox 3.x, so you’ll need at least 4.0 or 5.0 to use 1Password 3.6.
  • 10.7 Lion and Safari 5.1 support – We love what we’ve seen in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and Safari 5.1, which Apple plans to release sometime this summer. In fact, we’re so excited that we wanted to make sure you could use 1Password with Lion the day it ships! To help you arrive on Lion with style, we radically redesigned our Safari extension based on the beautiful Chrome extension we introduced last November. Plus, this new extension will work on Snow Leopard once Apple releases Safari 5.1 for users not yet on Lion.
  • Fluid support on Snow Leopard – 1Password has supported Fluid, Todd Ditchendorf’s app for creating site-specific browsers, for some time. Now that Fluid has gone 1.0, we updated 1Password to ensure Snow Leopard users can keep on browsing.
  • Support for 10.5 Leopard, PowerPC removed from 1Password – To keep 1Password lean, mean, and prepared for the future, we occasionally have to pick the right time to remove support for previous platforms. For 10.5 Leopard and PowerPC, that time is now. Our statistics show that those platforms have shrunk significantly in use among our customers, so removing them now makes it far easier to pave the way for some great new features that are coming in the not-too-distant future (for example, only about 5% are using Leopard, while over 7% are already on Lion!). It also helped us make some significant performance improvements and reduce 1Password’s file size by over 12 percent. If you use 1Password on Leopard or a PowerPC-based Mac, however, fear not: the app will not prompt you to auto-upgrade to a version that does not support your platform, and we will still answer your customer support questions. Plus, just in case, we keep all previous releases available from our 1Password versions page, all the way back to our very first public beta released in May 2006! Yep, it’s really been five years of 1Password.
  • Dropbox 1.2 support – Dropbox is making some key changes under the hood in an upcoming version 1.2 release, so we wanted to remain a step ahead. This is the same release that has been available as an experimental beta from Dropbox’s forums.

There are a ton more changes and fixes in this release! From tweaking our password strength meter to treat anything below nine characters as “weak”, to tidying up the About screen to mention our fresh new company name, 1Password 3.6 contains over 50 new features, changes, and fixes. You can go to 1Password > Check for Updates to kickstart our auto-upgrade process, or manually download a fresh, new, fully functioning 30-day trial from our 1Password page.

• David Teare
      David Teare says:

The new Sandy Bridge MBP is very nice. I held off buying it as I felt “it really couldn’t be that much faster”, but boy was I happy to be proven wrong :)

• William
      William says:

Same here, upgraded and was blown away at the quadcore, using geekbench I was able to measure how fast, my old core 2 duo scored 3890, my new mbp 11180.

Oh, and 1password for mac and android just keep getting better and better, great job guys!

1. Andreas Elvers
    Andreas Elvers says:

Will we see private sync options à la webdav soon ? In the agile keychain my passwords are encrypted. But all other data like URL or creation date are stored in plaintext, leaving quite some potential to data mine for this data, if there would be a security breach on dropbox.

Please add webdav support.

• David Teare
      David Teare says:

Hello Andreas! Thanks for sharing your concerns and what you’re hoping for in future releases.

We played with WebDAV quite a bit over the last few years and we were unable to make it perform as well as we’d like so we never released it. Now that MobileMe is being replaced by iCloud, it’s uncertain if iDisk will even exist next year, let alone have WebDAV support.

We learned a lot about iCloud during Apple’s WWDC event and we’re very excited to add this support to 1Password. I have no specifics to share yet as we’re still in the learning phase but it appears iCloud is exactly what we needed and are looking forward to adding it.

Regarding the bits of plaintext in the .agilekeychain we are evaluating a new data format that will encrypt everything. We’ll have more news to share on this in the not too distant future.

As you can see, we live in exciting times! :)

2. Ruediger
    Ruediger says:

Hi to all you agile bits ;-)

I am very happy to see you are ahead of time (again).
    As I am looking forward to installing Lion once it arrives, it is great news that I can continue using 1Password from day one.

One very important question though: as iCloud is coming this fall, will 1Password also be able to use this syncing service as an alternative to Dropbox? You know, all this talk about the security in Dropbox, with the recent 4hr outage of password protection and all, it would be a welcome feature..

Regards,
    Ruediger

3. Jeff
    Jeff says:

Hi Andreas and Ruediger,

We are very excited about iCloud, but I can’t say much at this point. We don’t like announcing features until they are delivered.

WebDAV is something that we had put a great deal of effort into at one point. (Indeed, it was a feature we announced before we could deliver it) but then ran into problems. Performance and reliability issues were things that we just couldn’t get around.

Cheers,

-j

4. Steve
    Steve says:

On Windows, The latest version of 1Password (1.0.5.190) does not work with Firefox 5.0. Since I’m writing this on 6/21 (the day Firefox 5.0 came out), I’m not too worried. 1Password has worked great for us (on Windows, Mac and iPhones) and I’m sure they’ll update the program.

Steve

• David Teare
      David Teare says:

I’m sorry Steve, we should have made it more clear that the Firefox 5 announcement was for Mac only. We’re working on adding Windows support for Firefox 5 and hope to release it very soon.

• Zach
      Zach says:

Bummer. You really should update the blog post to reflect this information. I just updated Firefox on my Windows box to version 5 based on this post and now I can’t use 1password.

• Christian
      Christian says:

Me too… :(

I have just updated Firefox to 5.0 and I can’t use 1Password (Windows).

Thanks in advance for getting the Windows update ready! :)

• David Teare
      David Teare says:

The 1Password for Windows beta channel has been updated with support for Firefox 5. The official release channel will be updated soon to match.

5. Berntm
    Berntm says:

Hello there,

guess what? You still have users using a PowerPC, I’ve got two that I am using frequently.
    That you are dropping support for PowerPC is a big mistake.
    I for one can’t use it.
    Second I won’t be able to pay the upgradefee for new version of 1Password.

• David Teare
      David Teare says:

Understood! We know many users are still using PPC and Leopard. We still have Tiger users, too :)

I don’t think “dropping support” properly describes what we are doing. Users are free to continue using 1Password 3.5.9 and their data will continue to sync with 1Password 3.6. And of course, if anyone asks us questions about their Leopard setup we’ll be happy to help, so in that way it is still “supported”. Indeed, we are still answering questions Tiger users have.

Going forward, however, new releases of 1Password will focus on Lion and Snow Leopard. With all the wonderful goodies Apple has baked into 10.6 and 10.7, 1Password needs to be able to use them.

I hope that better explains where we are coming from.

Cheers!

• Hugbert
      Hugbert says:

“I don’t think “dropping support” properly describes what we are doing.”

No, that’s really a much too nice way of saying what you are doing to your users. :(

• David
      David says:

We’re sorry about having to make these changes Hugbert, but this is the nature of software updates. We only have so much manpower and resources to support all the operating systems, browsers, and configurations of our users. Attempting to maintain features and support of all browsers across three operating systems would put a significant demand on our development time and bring new feature development to a crawl for users who have upgraded to Snow Leopard and Lion. Apple hasn’t even shipped Lion yet and we already have more users on it than Leopard who are demanding new features and browser support.

Fortunately, though, we’ll still offer tech support for Leopard users. Heck, we’re still answering questions for users on Tiger. :) I believe we’re also looking at applying critical fixes to 1Password 3.5.9 so Leopard and PowerPC users can continue to use that version. As always, all of our previous versions are freely available for download from our version history page:

I hope this helps!

• Eric
      Eric says:

This is really frustrating. I purchased 1password less than a year ago and now it is rendered useless. You’ve put users between a rock and a hard place. Firefox is pushing us hard in one direction into Firefox 5 dropping support for FF4, yet for 10.5 users you are pushing in the other direction back into FF4. All the while FF6 and FF7 are slated for release in 2011 alone. I use 1password to save the 100s of client logins I need access to daily, this has put me at a real disadvantage now. A Snow leopard upgrade doesn’t make a lot of sense on an older macbook pro, especially with lion around the corner.

6. Dan
    Dan says:

Please talk about the dropbox security breech and what happens if someone now has our encrypted password backup.

7. Bill
    Bill says:

I don’t see the new interface you mention in the Safari extension. I’m using Snow Leopard. Is the new interface Lion only?

8. Scott
    Scott says:

Will 3.5 be updated to support Firefox 5 and the upcoming Dropbox changes? You can’t really say “Users are free to continue using 1Password 3.5.9” if Dropbox stops working and we’re unable to use FF5.

9. William
    William says:

As always, great stuff guys, can’t wait to see the full updates once I get lion. Oh, and thanks for showing some love for Android users, would be lost without it.

10. Brendan
    Brendan says:

1Password 3.6.0 does not work with Firefox 5.0 on 10.6.7 for me. When I click any interface button, no menu comes up. The button only depresses.

• Brendan
      Brendan says:

Ok, scratch that, it does work, but 1Password decided to install both the Firefox 4 and 5 versions of the addon. You should correct that.

• David
      David says:

As I understand it Brendan, we don’t have a method for figuring out which extension to use based on which version of Firefox is installed. Why that is I’m not sure, but I can look into it. I do know though that Firefox should be smart enough to figure out which extension it should use, and which it should disable. I did some testing of this with Firefox 4 and 5 this morning across Snow Leopard and Lion and this seems to be the case. Firefox disabled the unsupported extension, but allowed the proper extension to run.

So this doesn’t answer why you were having trouble with 1P 3.6 and Firefox 5 on Snow Leopard. Perhaps it was just a ghost in the machine that decided to scamper off?

• David Teare
      David Teare says:

Do you have Check Compatibility mode disabled? Because of how Firefox 5 works, we needed 2 extensions: one for FF4 and one for FF5. If the compatibility check is enabled, the proper one (and only one) will load.

You can see this blog post for details.

• Brendan
      Brendan says:

Yeah that must be it. I have a single addon that I needed compatibility for, I didn’t think it would allow other addons by default.

11. Jason
    Jason says:

I don’t see the P that used to appear to the left of the URL bar. How do I access 1Password now (without having the whole toolbar showing all the time)?

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] Шартье (David Chartier) написал в блоге AgileBits небольшую заметку, в которой рассказал, что за последнее время […]

2. […] David Chartier writes that the number of 1Password customers who are using Leopard or a PowerPC-based Mac has fallen into the single digits. Dropping Leopard/PowerPC support enables developers to shrink 1Password’s size by 12 percent. […]

3. […] David Chartier writes that the number of 1Password customers who are using Leopard or a PowerPC-based Mac has fallen into the single digits. Dropping Leopard/PowerPC support enables developers to shrink 1Password’s size by 12 percent. […]

4. […] David Chartier writes that the number of 1Password customers who are using Leopard or a PowerPC-based Mac has fallen into the single digits. Dropping Leopard/PowerPC support enables developers to shrink 1Password's size by 12 percent. […]

5. […] David Chartier writes that the number of 1Password customers who are using Leopard or a PowerPC-based Mac has fallen into the single digits. Dropping Leopard/PowerPC support enables developers to shrink 1Password's size by 12 percent. […]

6. […] David Chartier writes that the number of 1Password customers who are using Leopard or a PowerPC-based Mac has fallen into the single digits. Dropping Leopard/PowerPC support enables developers to shrink 1Password's size by 12 percent. […]

7. […] David Chartier writes that the number of 1Password customers who are using Leopard or a PowerPC-based Mac has fallen into the single digits. Dropping Leopard/PowerPC support enables developers to shrink 1Password's size by 12 percent. […]

8. […] David Chartier writes that the number of 1Password customers who are using Leopard or a PowerPC-based Mac has fallen into the single digits. Dropping Leopard/PowerPC support enables developers to shrink 1Password's size by 12 percent. […]