OS X Lion and the state of the new 1Password extension (Updated)

OS X Lion

Happy Lion Day everyone! The latest version of Mac OS X is here, and boy is it a whopping upgrade. We’ve been busy getting 1Password and our browser extensions prepared, and I’m pleased to say that version 3.6 brought Lion support, while version 3.6.1 upped the ante for the new Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard.

Apple made some really big changes in Lion and Safari 5.1, so to celebrate these releases and make sure you could keep using 1Password, we introduced a completely redesigned Safari extension. Our goals were simple, as we wanted to make it easier for you to: access and view more of your 1Password information than ever before right in the browser, fill and browse all your items more quickly with a mouse or keyboard, and feel right at home using the extension in all the browsers we support.

We’ve received a ton of positive feedback and suggestions for our new extension, and we want to thank you for all of your input so far. We also know that the new extension isn’t fully feature complete yet when compared to the previous version. To help you stay on top of how we’re improving things and which features we’re still working on, we’ve created a whole new section of FAQs and documents that we’ll keep updated.

Here is our main 1Password FAQs page, and the new section dedicated to our new Safari 5.1 extension is in the top right. There you can find documents like a quick Safari 5.1 extension intro as well as a more thorough explanation of goals. We have a few more that address other issues, so you can bookmark these as we’ll be updating them when we make improvements to the extension:

There are more documents in our Lion/Safari 5.1 FAQ and possibly more to come, so you should definitely check out our updated FAQs to find some of the answers for which you seek. A couple other issues we’re looking into right now: some sites that aren’t playing well with auto-submit (such as Chase.com), the 1Password extension sometimes won’t unlock after you exit private browsing mode (until we squash that last one, restarting Safari should fix the problem), and changes to the Go & Fill behavior. A list of issues like that can be found in our troubleshooting Safari 5.1 doc.

One of the general quirks we’ve heard about the extension is performance—sometimes it has a Case of the Mondays in that it is either a little slow or, in some rare cases, doesn’t respond to keyboard shortcuts. The good news is that we’re putting the finishing polish on a big extension update that should do wonders for performance all-around. The best part? Now that it’s an official Safari extension (if you’re on Lion or Snow Leopard with Safari 5.1 installed, go check Preferences > Extensions and see!), we’ll be able to update it automatically, without even updating the main 1Password app. We hope to get that update out really soon.

I hope this helps explain where we’re at with the new Safari 5.1 extension. Keep an eye on our documentation for updates and we’ll let you know as soon as that big extension update lands!

1. Stefano Corbetta
    Stefano Corbetta says:

Guys, please bring back to Lion the “right-click contextual item” soon.
    That’s the only clever, fast and useful reason that made me buy 1Password.
    Thanks.

• Rick
      Rick says:

Let’s be clear about this – 1PW does not work with Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with Safari 5.1.

Not at all. Not any part of any function.

I have tried the reinstall it instructions in your support forum, and it DOES NOT WORK AT ALL – totally non-functional garbage!

If this is not completely corrected in one day, I will never be a customer again, because this is completely unacceptable.

• George Chase
      George Chase says:

Safari worked fine for me. Sounds like Rich needs to stop using gin in his Cheerios. I guess he never heard of Chrome, Firefox, or Opera?

Hi Rick,

Safari 5.1 is working fine on Snow Leopard for many users, including myself. One of the common issues I’ve seen is when Safari updates it (sometimes) disables all extensions, including 1Password. Try opening the Safari > Preferences > Extensions window, and ensure the slider for enabling extensions is on.

If that’s not the case, it sounds like there’s a configuration issue on your machine. In this case, please email us a Diagnostics Report (1Password > Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report) at support@agilebits.com.

• David
      David says:

Hi Jim! You are indeed correct that we haven’t been able to add that feature into the new extension yet. It’s another on our list, so keep an eye here on the blog for announcements. Thanks!

2. Eric
    Eric says:

I see nothing there that explains this. I used to:

Click on the “1P” button on the toolbar, which would…
    Drop a nice clean drop down menu listing all of my logins categorized into folders, one of which I would select and then…
    The browser would open a new tab and log me in to the website selected.

I now have to:
    Click on the “1P” button on the toolbar, which…
    Opens a monster window blocking much of my browser and I then have to click on the “All Logins” button, and then…
    Either scroll down or type a few characters into the search box (I have over 400 logins saved)
    It then opens the selected login in the current tab and does not automatically log me in.

This seems like a downgrade guys… very disappointed long-time user.

• David
      David says:

Thanks for the feedback Eric! We know some features haven’t made it into the new extension yet which is why we wanted to get this post out. I can assure you that our finest coders have been locked away with a stack of twinkies and a crate of mountain dew in order to work on restoring features. We should have an update here soon!

• Mike
      Mike says:

I’m with Mic and Eric – I do not like this new interface, and my wife took one look at it and refuses to let me upgrade her to Lion until you fix it.

Don’t listen to your Chrome users any more, listen to your Safari users.

• dave
      dave says:

We listen to all our users :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Mike. Software is never finished and we look forward to finding a solution that everyone loves.

3. Eric
    Eric says:

This thing really is crap guys. I cannot for the life of me understand how ANY of the changes were made with real world user input… You have taken an essential tool and literally stripped all of the functionality that made it wonderful out… Unless I’m TOTALLY missing something here…

• David
      David says:

And to answer your second comment: I’m sorry to hear this, but we’re working as hard as we can on making the new extension all it can be. For what it’s worth, we introduced this extension to our Chrome users last fall and had great feedback from it. It’s part of what encouraged us to move ahead with unifying our extension across all our browsers, but we are certainly far from finished. Everything is in flux, including the interface. If you can, please try to take a little time to get used to the new extension, its features, and keyboard shortcuts, and we’ll deliver some updates that I think will make big improvements.

4. Kennon
    Kennon says:

Just adding that I’m a very satisfied 1Password user. Been using the beta for a while and I feel like it’s a great visual upgrade. I have access to all the same password data in a prettier interface. Kudos everyone!

• Eric
      Eric says:

Yes, access is there, but hardly convenient. With hundreds of logins you have to scroll forever or use type in the name. The nested drop down menus made it a less-than-two-seconds approach without leaving the mouse or trackpad. And if you needed to fill in your address or credit card info, same thing. I timed it on a Leopard MacBook, it literally takes three times as long now to do the same things.

This is a classic case of form over function. Looks pretty though for sure.

• David
      David says:

Hi Eric. I’m not sure what to tell you here. I already mentioned that nested folders are on our list for restoring to our extension. Is there another answer you’re looking for? We’re working as hard as we can. Apple made a lot of changes in Lion so we had to initially make sure that we could have something ready for our users to have in Lion and Safari 5.1.

Hopefully I’ll be able to post some news about an extension update here soon. Also remember that updates happen automatically through Safari’s extension update mechanism now, so you might get new versions with new features and fixes without seeing an update to the 1Password app.

5. Kyle
    Kyle says:

Hey guys,

I love the new design of the extension!

That said, my biggest gripe so far is that all of my meticulously-setup 1Click bookmarks aren’t working at all anymore.

Every single URL with “onepasswdfill” fails to login automatically now.

Is this what others have been referring to with auto-login in general, or is it just another item on the to do list for the Safari extension?

Thanks, and keep up the great work!
    Kyle

• David
      David says:

Hi Kyle! Thanks for the kind words. Right now, 1Click bookmarks aren’t working right now, so they are also on the to-do list. They’re listed on our troubleshooting page here:

For what it’s worth, our Command-Option-\ to open the extension to the All Logins tab is probably your fastest way to get directly to a page. Hopefully we’ll have something new to announce here on the blog soon.

6. Paul
    Paul says:

I’d say you folks were caught off guard. In my opinion 1password autofill does NOT work with safari 5.1. Not until it works the way it used to work. It seems that people are giving you praise for the new extension. Well, I can’t do that. I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why 1password was not working and finally found this set of postings.

• brenty
      brenty says:

I am sorry for the trouble. We try to keep people updated on what we’re up to, but even with the blog, twitter, our newsletters, and the release notes, we are unfortunately not able to reach everyone. :(

You are absolutely right. We have put years of development into our old Safari (and Fluid…and NetNewsWire…and others) support, and Apple’s decision to disallow scripting additions caught us off guard. Fortunately, there was an alternative. The Safari extension API did not exist until last year, so we had to do things differently when we initially developed our Safari integration.

While it may take us a while to get back to where we were previously and there are some limitations, the new framework gives us an opportunity to do some new things (like autoupdate for our extension, which means faster fixes and additions). The road may be a bit bumpy for you and I alike, but where we’re going, we don’t need roads. ;)

We appreciate your understanding during this transition. Thanks so much for your support! :)

7. SwedishFrog
    SwedishFrog says:

Is the strong password generator broken, too? I tried to generate a password for a site, but after clicking on the menu option (using the toolbar icon), nothing happened.

8. Mashi
    Mashi says:

As someone who used 1Password in Chrome and then migrated over to Safari when the 5.1 beta was first released, I’m very impressed. I only kind of liked how it was previously done in Safari compared to Chrome, and was blown away by the new Safari plugin.

Sorry to everyone who doesn’t like change, I guess.

• brenty
      brenty says:

Thanks for the positive response, Mashi, but we still have some work to do!

There are a lot of things we still need to implement, but I think we are off to a good start! :)

To be fair, I think it is very subjective. I personally hated the Chrome extension at first, but once you get over the initial “this isn’t what I am used to” shock, it grows on you. Change is never easy. ;)

Trackbacks & Pingbacks