Big Safari extension updates and a sneak peek

It’s been just four days since Apple unleashed Safari 5.1 and 10.7 Lion, a massive upgrade to nearly every aspect of your Mac. Back in June, we released a pair of updates to get the core of 1Password ready to support Lion and Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard, and we’ve spent a lot of time over the last couple of months rewriting our Safari extension from scratch in order to comply with new technologies and rules Apple has introduced, as well as to get 1Password prepared for the Mac App Store.

In the four short days since Lion’s release, our developers (who are in no way chained to their desks with stashes of Red Bull and Pop-Tarts) have released a total of six updates to the new Safari extension and an update to the main 1Password app. Now that our extension is an official Safari extension, Safari should check periodically and update it automatically. But just in case, here’s our how-to guide if you want to update right away.

We’re listening and updating

We’ve heard every piece of feedback you’ve sent, and already we’ve restored a number of features that users missed from the previous version, and we’ve added some polish for good measure:

• Single-Stroke Login is back: If you only have one Login for a site, hitting the default Command-\ shortcut will now skip the extension interface and log you in right away
  • Go & Fill is back: Right-clicking the Dock icon or clicking an item’s URL from the 1Password app will now open the site in a new tab in Safari and log you in
  • Performance improved across the board: We’ve made big advances in speeding up the loading of our new extension and keyboard shortcut responsiveness
  • Extension now works on blank pages, Top Sites: You can now trigger our extension with our keyboard shortcuts if you’re on a blank page, Safari’s Top Sites, or even if the keyboard focus is in the Address Bar
  • Autosubmit settings now respected: If you’ve customized a Login’s Autosubmit settings in 1Password, the new Safari extension now respects that setting
  • 1Click Bookmarks are back: If you’ve created one or more 1Click Bookmarks, they should now work again
  • The extension is now a popover: Apple introduced popovers as a new interface element on iPad, and they were such a hit that it brought them to Mac in OS X Lion. We’ve found that a popover is a great way to display more of your 1Password data inside the browser so you don’t have to stop what you’re doing to open the main app if you don’t want to
  • No longer resizes when using Safari 5.1’s Zoom features: Some Safari users like to take advantage of its clever View > Zoom In/Out/Text Only features, and an earlier version of our extension would resize itself according to those settings. Not anymore
  • Auto-Submit greatly improved: We’ve done a lot of work to improve the new extension’s ability to submit forms, and sites like Chase.com and Schwab.com should work again

Of course, these features and fixes are all in addition to the great stuff we can do with this new extension that could never be possible with the previous format. If you don’t know about all the new extension’s tricks like keyboard shortcuts and a better view of your data, you should definitely check out our intro document and FAQs, as well as our installation guide if you still need to get setup with Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard or Lion.

We certainly aren’t taking a break though—no, not even on a Sunday. We know we have plenty of work to do and features to restore, so if you’re still missing something, please check the Known Issues in our troubleshooting guide for progress updates and explanation of what’s going on. Many of your questions have probably been answered there or in our main 1Password FAQs, so check those out.

Sneak peek at an interface revamp

Now for the sexier stuff. The new Safari extension is using a 1.0 version of our new extension interface that we introduced in Chrome last November. We redesigned the extension so we could offer a number of features users have been asking for and unify the 1Password experience across Safari, Chrome, and Firefox, as well as the aforementioned compatibility aspirations for Lion, Safari 5.1, and the Mac App Store.

We have received a lot of great feedback on this design, and based on your responses, we’ve been working on a revamp that will tighten up the interface but still provide access to our great new features like full mouse or keyboard navigation, new keyboard shortcuts, and the ability to view and copy more of your data than ever before right from the browser. Take a look:

Now remember: this is just our vision for the new extension’s design, and everything is in flux. But so far, we really like the tighter layout, reduction of white space, the ability to view more items at once, and some other pending perks that you might be able to glean from these shots.

But that’s enough about us—let us know what you think in our forums! You can of course comment here on the blog as well, but our staff can provide better assistance in the forums.

Awesome! I’m glad you love it as much as we do, Zach.

I can’t promise a date but we’re working day, night, and weekends in order to have this sooner than later.

1. rosenkrieger
    rosenkrieger says:

Those are all nice features and great GUI – but the thing I miss the most is being able to use HTACCESS with 1Password. I hope you guys will find a way to let me use 1Password and HTACCESS again.

• Erik Hansen
      Erik Hansen says:

I’ll second this. It’s a reason I didn’t like using Chrome over Safari and now the Safari extension is basically the same as the “old” Chrome one. Hopefully this’ll come back soon.

On the plus side, the sneak-peak at the upcoming extension looks GREAT. I love that it’s much more compact. Looking good!

Good luck with everything.

Erik

Thanks for the update!

You’re very welcome! I too was happy to this summary as we’ve slept so little I think we all lost track of how many cool fixes we’ve had this week :)

Wow, the concept mock ups are fantastic.

I was hoping for “great” or “awesome”, but I’m happy to accept “fantastic” as well :)

Hope to see something like that one day.

Me too! We’re working ’round the clock to deliver it sooner than later. Stay tuned for more updates!

2. Mashi
    Mashi says:

Ooh, can’t wait to see when I get home. Wish I had Lion for the Popover funtime (low on App Store cash at the moment) and I’m loving that concept UI.

• brenty
      brenty says:

Thanks for the feedback. We’ve been listening to the rest of our customers, and felt that the new extension could use a little trim. We initially started with our stable Chrome layout, but we’re excited to make it even better! :)

3. jim
    jim says:

Not upgrading to Lion until next weekend, but so far the new extension works great in Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard! Couple of thoughts:

How about a way to open the 1Password app from the Safari extension? I kind of miss that.

Also, after seeing the mock-ups above, maybe an option to open the extension as a sidebar (similar to Safari’s new Reading List) rather than the pop-up window?

Keep up the good work!

• brenty
      brenty says:

I don’t know for certain if a sidebar or “Launch 1Password” option are something we will be able to do, but we are exploring our options. We’ve been listening to feedback, and it is clear that a lot of people would like to be able to launch the application from the extension again. We will see what we can do. :)

• brenty
      brenty says:

Thanks for the kind words. Dan has been hard at work. I think he is excited about the possibilities for the new UI. :)

• brenty
      brenty says:

Thanks so much! We aim to please. We are refining the new extension as fast as we can in the beta. These are exciting times. :)

• brenty
      brenty says:

Ah! I just saw that, too, Tom. I am glad to see it myself, as that “1P” drives me nuts, since it doesn’t match the rest of our icons. ;)

I’m excited that you like it!

4. Eugene Gordin
    Eugene Gordin says:

Wow you guys are working hard – all of us on Lion really appreciate it!

From what I can tell, there appears to be a new feature called “login bookmarks” which is a subset of all of your logins? I’d be curious to hear how people with use that (as opposed to search or automatic site url recognition).

The other new feature I found seems to be a settings option in the second screenshot.

All in all this new interface looks great, and follows the Twitter for Mac, Sparrow, and Reeder UI conventions (and accounts for more room in the horizontal direction rather than the vertical for the different “screens.”

Any sneak peaks of the new version of the actual 1Password app? Would be great to see a “” item in the vault!

5. Sean Fagan
    Sean Fagan says:

I like the UI better.

I still shake with anger that I have to enter my master password twice.

But the UI improvements are enough to get me to wait a bit before giving up on it. Thank you :).

• Sean Fagan
      Sean Fagan says:

I thought it was mentioned: I have to enter the password in the program to unlock it, and then I have to enter it into Safari to unlock it there. (I need to get at passwords in the main program, not just through Safari. So, twice. And if I quit Safari and relaunch it, I have to enter the password again.)

As I said, this was described as a known issue with the extension. Is it supposed to be fixed?

• David
      David says:

Hi Sean, you’re right I missed what was going on here. However, I wonder if one of the extension’s new features might help you in the meantime until we get auto-unlock working again: you can now view and copy any piece of information from the extension; no need to open the app anymore just to copy something you need. So you can now: open the extension, unlock it, find the item you need, then either click the right arrow next to the item or hit the right arrow on your keyboard. This will display an item view and you can then reveal and copy your password, say, for a Flash site that we (unfortunately) can’t plug into.

Might that help, at least for now?

• Sean Fagan
      Sean Fagan says:

No, because it’s an “account,” not a “login,” so it doesn’t show up in the list. (I just checked.)

Also, I have quit and restarted Safari three or four times so far today, and I’ve only been in the office for about a half hour.