A 1Password extension beta is ready for Firefox 6 on Mac!

It’s time for the Return of the 1Password! Except in our version of this bad pun there are no cute, spear-wielding woodland teddy bear, just a powerful password and identity manager with a great new browser extension in beta for Firefox 6 on Mac!

Firefox new extension

That’s right, Mozilla quietly released Firefox 6, and 1Password 3.7.5 (our most current, non-beta public release) is ready for it on the Mac! If you want to try out the new extension right now, you’ll need to:

• Make sure you have the latest 1Password by going to 1Password > Check for Updates
  • Update to Firefox 6
  • Install the beta Firefox extension
  • Restart Firefox

If you’d rather wait, we’re putting the finishing touches on 1Password 3.8 (now in public beta), which has the added perk of supporting Firefox 7 and 8 (which are both in various stages of development testing. I know, crazy right?). So what do Firefox 6 users get with our new extension? I’m glad you asked!

• A much more useful slice of 1Password in your browser
  • An all-new gorgeous, flexible interface that fits much better into the way you work, whether you’re a mouse jockey or a keyboard shortcut ninja
  • A bunch of new keyboard shortcuts, including Tab and Shift-Tab to navigate between your Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities, and Right/Left arrows for viewing item details or getting back out to the list of all your items
  • A more visual way to browse, edit, and create new items. You can view key details of each item, copy them to the clipboard, and edit all without dropping what you’re doing to launch the main 1Password app
  • Fast, type-as-you-go search built-in for all item types
  • A new Settings panel built into the extension for toggling things like Universal Unlock (to also unlock the 1Password app) and AutoSubmit
  • and much more!

Please note that the new Firefox extension is only supported on Firefox 6 and above (due to some of the technical complexities between Mozilla’s previous releases), and we’re still working on implementing a few features from the previous Firefox extension version, such as right-click support and HTTP logins. If you’re using Firefox 3, 4, or 5 when 1Password 3.8 arrives, don’t worry: you’ll still be able to download the proper 1Password Firefox extension for your browser from this support document. We’re also working on adding support for our new extension to 1Password for Windows, so stay tuned there. Chrome users: ditto.

But for you Firefox 6 users out there, let us know what you think of the new beta extension in our forum!

• David
      David says:

Hi Judi! We’re definitely bringing the new extension to Chrome since our plan is to unify as much of the interface and underlying code as possible between all browsers we support. As for an actual time frame, I don’t have one to share just yet. But stay tuned!

1. Trace
    Trace says:

Having a tough time with the new interface. Simple tasks like “open / launch 1password” that were available from the 1p icon in the Firefox toolbar don’t seem to exist anymore as far as I can tell ….

Not working in some sites for us as well, example: If we go to zoho.com (our CRM), and use keystrokes or manually click on the 1p browser icon, nothing happens … 1password simply no longer does anything.

• David
      David says:

Hi Trace! Thanks for your feedback. Let me see if I can help with your comments separately.

First, can you describe your use case for opening the 1Password app? Are you simply using it as a convenient way to open 1Password, or are you trying to get a piece of data for a specific item? If you need to get data, have you tried searching for an item in the extension, then clicking the right arrow next to an item or pressing the right arrow key on your keyboard? This lets you access most of the data 1Password has stored about an item without making you switch from the browser.

As far as your Zoho situation, that sounds like a bug; you might just need to restart the 1Password Agent in order to get 1Password and the Firefox extension to shake hands. Can you open 1Password and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Agent, then restart Firefox just for good measure? If that doesn’t fix it, this might be a case where the Login needs to be re-saved. If it comes to this, could you try these instructions for re-saving your Zoho Login?

Thanks Trace, and I hope we can get you back on track with 1Password in Firefox.

• Trace
      Trace says:

I have restarted …. it simply doesn’t work for different pages now, typically those with javascript logins like woothemes.com (login in upper right hand side of page). Also many pages now no longer automatically login using keystrokes, a menu comes up where you then have to hit return after selecting the login (even if there is only one) ….. adding an extra step to logging into sites that previously only had one step to login ….

2. erin
    erin says:

Hi all, I am trying to get 1password to work with Firefox 6 which I unknowingly updated to. This extension did not work for me. It downloaded, then nothing.

The pace at which I seam to have to deal with these updates is getting really old. I know it is Firefox, not you guys!

Thanks,
    Erin

• David
      David says:

Hi Erin, have you tried updating 1Password for Mac to the latest version? This is a necessary step to support the new Firefox extension on the Mac (it’s not ready for Windows yet). In 1Password, please try the 1Password > Check for Updates menu option, then restart Firefox.

If that doesn’t help, please catch our support forum folks who can help you better than me: http://forum.agilebits.com. Thanks!

3. Mike D
    Mike D says:

I’m having some issues with the new version as well. I’m using Firefox 6.0 on Mac OS.

I cannot get the new extension to add a password. I have to manually launch the 1Password program to do so. Whenever I click the “+” for “Logins for this page” it does nothing. Also 1password won’t ask me to save new passwords, even though it appears everything is set.

Also is there any plan to add back the right click and access 1password for text fields within Firefox?

Thanks
    -Mike

• David
      David says:

Hi Mike. I think we’ve released a couple of updates since getting this out. Could you try updating? I think Firefox should be checking automatically, but as far as I know we’re at version 3.8 of the extension. I think that should fix problems like buttons not responding and triggering AutoSave.

As far as right-click access goes, that’s something we’re looking at bringing back. Stay tuned.

4. alangenh
    alangenh says:

Thanks for this! I decided to try Firefox 6 since I like Chrome but sometimes have trouble with the Chrome 1Password extension.

In Firefox 6, when I click on Identities, and click on the little right arrow to the right of the identity, I think it should bring up another panel, but instead, the extension window just closes. Actually the little right arrow button doesn’t seem to work in any of the panes. Probably already a known problem.

I’m on a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.6.8.

• David
      David says:

Hi alangenh! You are correct in that this is a bug, though I believe it’s already been fixed. We’ve released an update or two since publishing this post and in my testing the right arrow now works as it should. Try downloading an update from the same link in this post and restart Firefox just for good measure.

I’m sorry for the confusion. The link I gave David for this post accidentally included an older beta version. This was fixed in the final 3.8 release.

If you want to stay on the beta channel, I’ll have a new release later today that will include this fix.

• David
      David says:

Hi Scott, let’s check the basics first: are you using Firefox 6 on a Mac? And do you at least have 1Password 3.7.5 or 3.8 for Mac, which we just released today?

If you need to update 1Password for Mac, go to 1Password > Check for Updates, then restart Firefox to see if that gets you going. If not, try catching our support folks in the forums: http://forum.agilebits.com. Thanks!

5. Derek
    Derek says:

The firefox extension does not auto-fill sites that the previous version handled just fine. I followed the advice above in order to delete and recreate the login, but the extension never offers to save the new login.

The move to unified extensions across browsers makes sense from a technical perspective, but it has really been nothing but a hassle. Maybe 3-6 months from now the kinks will be ironed out. Hopefully.

I’ve been a long time 1Password advocate and finally got my wife to start using it to secure her passwords. The Wife Approval Factor of manually deleting and re-adding logins is about -4000. When re-adding doesn’t work and she has to reclaim the item out of the 1password trash? It won’t be long until she goes back to 1 insecure, 6 letter password for everything.

• David
      David says:

Hi Derek, sorry to hear about this. I can assure you that our developers take a wife approval rating of -4000 very seriously. Give us a little bit of time to polish things up and I believe we’ll have a much better experience for you, and I doubt it’ll take nearly 3-6 months.

6. alangenh
    alangenh says:

Thanks for the tip. I assume you mean the Troubleshooting button under Settings in the extension’s screen. I tried that but got an error:

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at resource://onepassword-at-agilebits-dot-com-onepassword-data/data/ui/troubleshooting.html.

Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.
    Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.

• David
      David says:

Hi Alangenh, sorry your comment sat in the queue so long. I believe we’ve released a couple of updates since this original announcement and in my testing the button works. Could you try updating, or check to see if Firefox did an auto-update for you to extension version 3.8? This option should work again.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks