1Password 3.8 for Mac is out with support for Firefox 6/7 and a new extension setup process

Well that was quick. If it seemed like only yesterday that we released a 1Password 3.8 beta for Mac and initial support for Firefox 6 on the Mac, that’s because it was.

Today we’re happy to say that 1Password 3.8 for Mac is out of beta and so is our Firefox extension. Besides gaining support for Firefox 6 and 7 on the Mac, this 1Password update brings a great change to our extension installation process that’s been a long time coming. We have a new 1Password > Install Extensions menu option, as well as a Preferences > Browsers redesign, that takes you straight to our fancy new extension installation page. This will ensure that you get the latest version of our extensions that are regularly updated for this brave yet crazy new world of break-neck browser release schedules.

In short: if you upgrade to Firefox 6, grab 1Password 3.8 and use our new extension installation page to get the extension you need.

I should also mention that, while we have brought our new extension format to Firefox 6, we haven’t been able to bring all features back, such as right-click and HTTP auth support. We’re working on those. Also, if you need extensions for previous versions of Firefox, you can snag em from our legacy extension page. We know not everyone is always ready to upgrade their browser right away, so we’re trying to keep things as simple and available as possible for our users.

So check out the 1Password 3.8 for Mac update and the new Firefox 6 extension and let us know what you think in our forum!

1. Duane Williams
    Duane Williams says:

Would you please post the version numbers of the latest extensions so I will know for sure that I have the latest ones?

2. KKGM
    KKGM says:

Can you place on Firefox the same kind of extension as the safari style of 1password. Its faster to handle than the current firefox extension.

• David
      David says:

Hi KKGM. I believe that’s what we’ve done with this new extension for Firefox 6 on Mac—we brought the Safari interface that’s been out for a couple months to Firefox. Did you update to Firefox 6, install our extension, but you’re still not seeing the new interface? You could try removing all 1Password extensions from Firefox and downloading a fresh copy from our new extension page:

Then restart Firefox just for good measure. Let me know if that works.

3. LE ROY
    LE ROY says:

!!! A counterproductive update !!!
    Now I need three clicks to login instead of one before !!! Extension setup is uggly
    Whate are you doing ???

I am still in trial mode and I think I WILL NOT BUY 1password

• David
      David says:

Hi Le Roy, I’m sorry to hear the new extension doesn’t quite do it for you. We’ve had fantastic feedback on it so far, and I wonder if checking out our extension introduction might help:

There are some great tips for using the extension, including how to log in quickly like before, as well as a lot of great new features that weren’t possible before. I hope this can help turn things around for you, but if not, let us know what you would like to see in our forum: http://forum.agilebits.com.

4. Brenden
    Brenden says:

Is there a way to renable the right click menu with the 1Password extension in Firefox? Unless I’m missing something it is not available on my system. Moving half way across my screen to press the 1P button when I could right click in the login field and select the login without moving the mouse inefficient I feel.

Other then that everything looks great and works nicely.

• David
      David says:

Hi Brenden. The right-click feature is something we’re looking at bringing back. A lot of the rules and tech around extensions have changed recently so we had to take a few features off the table in order to have something ready for Firefox 6 on day one. Stay tuned.

5. David
    David says:

What did you do? The new browser extension is no way ready for release yet, it’s completely crippled and often just doesn’t work at all, especially with HTTP auth. Please either fix this or go back to the old extension. Is there anyway I can downgrade my firefox / 1password to a working version? Aside from not being able to use it to login half the time, it’s not offering to save logins and even if I try to do it manually, it just doesn’t work.

I hope this extension is fixed up soon because this is no good to me.

• David
      David says:

Hi David, I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the new extension. Firefox 6.0 was a pretty big release, and we knew our customers would want a 1Password extension on day one. We’ve been ironing out a lot of the hiccups though so your experience should improve quite a bit soon.

In fact, I believe we’ve released an update or two since this original announcement. Could you try updating and then, in 1Password, try going to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Agent to see if that helps things?

As far as HTTP auth logins, those are going to take a little time since a lot has changed with browser extensions lately. This is a known issue right now, though I’m sorry I don’t have better answer for you on those just yet.

If you’re still having trouble, please check out our forums, where your issues may have already been addressed, or you can get in direct touch with our support folks and community:

6. Volker
    Volker says:

Dear agile Team,

I do have 1password for windows and have updated firefox to version 6 – including the new 1password extention. but this doesn’t work – the master password doesn’t unlock my database. what happend?????? :-(

regards,
    volker

• David
      David says:

Hi Volker. I apologize for any confusion, but our new Extension for Firefox 6 is only for Mac right now. We’re in the process of updating 1Password for Windows to support this new extension format, and we’ll announce here on the blog as soon as we have some news on that front.

For now, if you want to keep using 1Password within Firefox on Windows, you’ll have to downgrade to the previous version. Sorry for the inconvenience.

7. Ed Wall
    Ed Wall says:

I’ve been with you from the beginning and unfortunately I upgraded to Firefox 6 and unfortunately have the new extension. This is not good. I’m not sure if there aren’t some subtleties I’m missing, I just happened to visit some problematic sites, or if this extension is just badly designed. However, I find that the only thing I like about it is that I can see all the detail when before I had to launch 1Password before. It would be nice, however, if that information stayed when I tried to enter something into a field and it would be nice if the copy button worked. I had to use the app version of 1Password to do that.
    I very seldom send comments, but I do use this program as it saves me time and just recently I found it necessary to enter a lot of information by hand that 1Password one did with a click. So I am not overjoyed on the ‘improvements.’

Ed Wall

• David
      David says:

Hi Ed! Thanks for being a 1Password customer, and I’m sorry your experience with the new Firefox extension has been anything but stellar. Firefox 6 was a pretty big change and we’re working hard on squashing the bugs you mention.

Give us a little time and we can polish the extension up to your standards. Thanks again, and you should hear from us again soon here on the blog.

8. Steve Smith
    Steve Smith says:

Well, so far I’ve spent 30 minutes trying to get the new extension working with Firefox 6, but no cigar. FF says the extension is installed successfully, but I can’t get the 1P button to appear. I’ve uninstalled the extension several times and tried everything I can think of – what’s next?

Incidentally, at some point I did Remove the previous versions of the Extension from FF (i.e. v4 and v5 extensions) because it said they weren’t compatible – so now I have only the 3.8.1 extension installed. Is that a factor?

• Michael
      Michael says:

Right click on the Firefox toolbar and select “Customize”.
      Find the 1P button and drag it to your toolbar. That worked for me.

• David
      David says:

Hi Marcy. Did you install our new extension that I linked in this post? It also couldn’t hurt to update 1Password (1Password menu > Check for Updates) either. Please try that, but if you’re still having trouble, check our forums to see if we’ve solved this issue for other users or get in direct touch with our support folks:

I hope this helps.

• sean chandler
      sean chandler says:

silly rabbit! I just noticed that the 1P icon was all the way over on the right of the google search bar in FF

So I right-clicked on the FF toolbar and chose customize, then dragged the 1P icon back to where it belongs, next to the Next / Previous buttons

Why did you put it all the way over there on the right? That;s going to confuse a few people I’m sure

• David
      David says:

Hi Sean, that’s pretty odd. Could your 1P button possibly have moved to the far right of your toolbar anywhere? In Firefox, it looks like when you add a button to the toolbar, it disappears as an option from that customize sheet.

If you still can’t see your button, see if we’ve helped other folks with this issue in our forum, or get in direct touch with our support folks there about it:

One way or the other we can get you taken care of.