1Password, the Mac App Store, and you

Yes, you read that headline right, and no, your eyes do not deceive you. After months of arduous work from our developers, and tons of tweets, forum requests, and sacrificial offerings from you fine folks and even customers-to-be, we are elated to announce 1Password for Mac is now in the Mac App Store.

MAS banner

What’s new?

Our Mac App Store release is version 3.9, and it’s a significant update from version 3.8 on our website. Even though it’s not the 4.0 upgrade we have in the works, 1Password 3.9 packs some fantastic new features, like:

• A brand new system-wide menu bar item with access to Go & Fill, toggling AutoSubmit, and locking and opening the 1Password app. We’ve had a ton of requests for this feature over the years and we’re really excited to get it out there
  • Full Screen mode on Lion
  • Even tighter security on Lion with PBKDF2 Calibration and compliance with Apple’s upcoming “sandboxing” rules to prevent 1Password from having access to any files it doesn’t need to touch
  • An all-new setup process to help new users find their way around and get browser extensions installed
  • Much more!

This is also our first release that is Lion-only. Like The Omni Group and our other esteemed peers, we’ve seen unprecedented Lion adoption from our customers. When we considered all the work we’ve done to prepare 1Password for the Mac App Store, the security benefits Lion had to offer, and the incredible pace at which Mac users are picking up Lion, we decided this was the right time.

If you’re on Snow Leopard though, don’t worry. 1Password 3.8 isn’t disappearing from our website anytime soon, and we like to take care of our customers (heck, we still answer email support questions for our Leopard and even Tiger customers, and Tiger came out over six years ago!). In fact, we just released 1Password 3.8.5 at the same time 1Password 3.9 debuted in the store, and it has something the Mac App Store version doesn’t (yet): support for the WebKit browser.

You have questions, we have answers

We know the Mac App Store transition evokes a lot of questions, and we’ve been listening in our forum, on Twitter, and elsewhere. How much does the Mac App Store version cost? Can I transition my 3.x license into the store? What about family licenses? What else is different in the Mac App Store version?

We’ve created an FAQ in our forum to address a lot of the common questions, so please check out that thread and browse and search the other threads our customers have created. Folks have been asking questions in our forum so it’s a great place for us to answer the same question from many customers at once. But to get you started, I’ll try to address some of the biggest questions here.

Can I transition my existing 1Password 3.x license into the Mac App Store?

We would love to give you a way to transition your license, but Apple doesn’t allow it at this time in the Mac App Store, and hasn’t shown signs of changing that policy (trust me: it’s something we’ve all been asking for since Apple previewed the store in fall 2010). However, we have some good news in the FAQ just above this one to help customers transition into the store.

I can’t/don’t want to upgrade to Lion, what about me?

We love to take care of our customers and 1Password 3.8 will continue to be available for download from our changelog page, just like many versions are all the way back to (as of this writing) 2.12, an update to our 2.x version that was released almost two years ago.

But this is also where a huge advantage of our major extension redesign comes into play. Because we can now update our extension independently from the main 1Password app, and because Safari, Firefox, and Chrome all auto-update their extensions, we can keep 1Password 3.8 users current with browser updates right alongside 3.9 and 4.0 users. So even if you stick with the 3.8.x versions, your 1Password and browser extensions can stay compatible with browser updates for quite a while.

Still have questions? Join us in the forum!

Like I said, we know there are going to be a lot of questions over this transition and we’re happy to help. While we love comments here on the blog, our forum is the best place to get current and quick support right now. In fact, your question may have already been answered there, so please check our Mac App Store FAQ or search our main forum, but if all else fails, feel free to create a new thread and we’ll be happy to help!

1. Henry
    Henry says:

I have two licenses of 1Password Mac version 3.x
    Does your FAQ mean it’s cheaper to buy 3.x version again in Mac App store in order to upgrade to 4.x version free and that would be cheaper if I buy the upgrade version offline on your website? Correct me if I were wrong. Thanks.

• David
      David says:

Hi Henry! Yes, you are correct: When we released 1Password 3.0 two years ago, our upgrade price from 2.x->3.0 was $25. We aren’t a company that charges for mid-version point upgrades, but we had to charge something in the store, so we decided on this: offer 1Password 3.9, which is now Mac App Store-only, for $20 to celebrate and offer a cheap upgrade price to existing customers. When 1Password 4.0 comes out, also Mac App Store only, you will get it as a free upgrade!

I hope that helps clear things up.

• brenty
      brenty says:

Thanks so much for saying so! In fact, though, I have heard a lot of peopel lately saying we release updates TOO frequently. With a lot of big changes behind us, we are looking forward to making incremental changes, and the new extensions can be updated separately from the main application. We appreciate the feedback! :)

2. David
    David says:

This is nice, but it would’ve been nicer still to have all this posted yesterday when the news broke and I was digging through forums going “what? I have to pay for a .8-.9 upgrade??”

• brenty
      brenty says:

Sorry for the confusion, David! The MAS release took us by surprise as well. The approval process can take some time, but Apple gave the go-ahead and there we were!

Just to clarify, we are still working on the non-MAS version (an update was released just yesterday). The main purpose of the introductory pricing and upgrade path for the MAS version is that it includes a free update to 1Password 4 when it is released.

• brenty
      brenty says:

I am glad to hear it went smoothly, Paul! Thanks for your continued support. We couldn’t do it without you! :)

3. birdpuk
    birdpuk says:

Great offer for new users to get in on.. But sucks for longtime supporters to have to pay the same as basically current retail. We have bought upgrades and worked with beta updates supporting the product as it grew. You need to find a way to let us know we mean more than a brand new customer..

• brenty
      brenty says:

Not at all! It is a great deal, and is half the current retail price as an introductory offer to celebrate the release. The idea of discriminating against new customers bothers me a little, and since there is no way to transfer licenses between the two, it just wouldn’t be possible to do so. If you choose to purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store, you will receive a free update to 1Password 4 when it is released. I don’t think that penalizing newer customers makes that any less of a deal.

• Flex
      Flex says:

To quote Reservoir Dogs (I think): What do you expect, a blowjob?

This is a great offer. It allows us long time users to switch to the App Store version at basically no extra charge, while allowing new customers to get in on the action at a very, very decent price.

You’re not complaining about anything bad happening to you, you’re complaining about something good happening to others. And that’s internet comments in a nutshell.

• brenty
      brenty says:

Any time! I am glad I was able to purchase it, too. I tried under Snow Leopard, but that didn’t work so well (duh), so to Lion I went! The future of 1Password is bright. Thanks so much for your support! :)

4. Daniel
    Daniel says:

I’m a 3.8 user as well and i use 1password for about 2 years. As soon as i realized i get 4.0 with a huge discount here, i mad my purchase. Of course it would be better to get it for free but hey, the longer i think about the more i’m happy to spend this money. I couldn’t live without 1P. and i’m glad that i could give something back to you guys! And when i think about those little improvments ea did with their sportsgames every year – you’re way to cheap guys!! Keep it up!

• brenty
      brenty says:

Thanks so much, Daniel! Your support means a lot to us. I was thinking that this is akin to my World of Warcraft habit: An expansion every year or so, and a monthly subscription. I paid full price for 1Password back in the day, but it has totally paid for itself since! :)

5. Stewart
    Stewart says:

How will this work with a dual Mac/Win licence? $20 for v4 is great, but only suggests coverage of the Mac version. Will you be asking another $20 for the Win upgrade?

• brenty
      brenty says:

While we have only charged for a single upgrade previous to this (1Password 3 a few years ago), I suspect that the next major version of 1Password for Windows will likewise be a paid upgrade. Just for comparison, the standard ‘retail’ price for 1Password has been 40$ for both platforms for some time, as opposed to the discounted upgrades/introductory prices we have offered.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] significant if you use it because all future versions will be sold only on the App Store. From the Agilebits blog post: How much does the Mac App Store version cost, and what about 1Password […]