1Password, the Mac App Store, and you

Yes, you read that headline right, and no, your eyes do not deceive you. After months of arduous work from our developers, and tons of tweets, forum requests, and sacrificial offerings from you fine folks and even customers-to-be, we are elated to announce 1Password for Mac is now in the Mac App Store.

MAS banner

What’s new?

Our Mac App Store release is version 3.9, and it’s a significant update from version 3.8 on our website. Even though it’s not the 4.0 upgrade we have in the works, 1Password 3.9 packs some fantastic new features, like:

• A brand new system-wide menu bar item with access to Go & Fill, toggling AutoSubmit, and locking and opening the 1Password app. We’ve had a ton of requests for this feature over the years and we’re really excited to get it out there
  • Full Screen mode on Lion
  • Even tighter security on Lion with PBKDF2 Calibration and compliance with Apple’s upcoming “sandboxing” rules to prevent 1Password from having access to any files it doesn’t need to touch
  • An all-new setup process to help new users find their way around and get browser extensions installed
  • Much more!

This is also our first release that is Lion-only. Like The Omni Group and our other esteemed peers, we’ve seen unprecedented Lion adoption from our customers. When we considered all the work we’ve done to prepare 1Password for the Mac App Store, the security benefits Lion had to offer, and the incredible pace at which Mac users are picking up Lion, we decided this was the right time.

If you’re on Snow Leopard though, don’t worry. 1Password 3.8 isn’t disappearing from our website anytime soon, and we like to take care of our customers (heck, we still answer email support questions for our Leopard and even Tiger customers, and Tiger came out over six years ago!). In fact, we just released 1Password 3.8.5 at the same time 1Password 3.9 debuted in the store, and it has something the Mac App Store version doesn’t (yet): support for the WebKit browser.

You have questions, we have answers

We know the Mac App Store transition evokes a lot of questions, and we’ve been listening in our forum, on Twitter, and elsewhere. How much does the Mac App Store version cost? Can I transition my 3.x license into the store? What about family licenses? What else is different in the Mac App Store version?

We’ve created an FAQ in our forum to address a lot of the common questions, so please check out that thread and browse and search the other threads our customers have created. Folks have been asking questions in our forum so it’s a great place for us to answer the same question from many customers at once. But to get you started, I’ll try to address some of the biggest questions here.

Can I transition my existing 1Password 3.x license into the Mac App Store?

We would love to give you a way to transition your license, but Apple doesn’t allow it at this time in the Mac App Store, and hasn’t shown signs of changing that policy (trust me: it’s something we’ve all been asking for since Apple previewed the store in fall 2010). However, we have some good news in the FAQ just above this one to help customers transition into the store.

I can’t/don’t want to upgrade to Lion, what about me?

We love to take care of our customers and 1Password 3.8 will continue to be available for download from our changelog page, just like many versions are all the way back to (as of this writing) 2.12, an update to our 2.x version that was released almost two years ago.

But this is also where a huge advantage of our major extension redesign comes into play. Because we can now update our extension independently from the main 1Password app, and because Safari, Firefox, and Chrome all auto-update their extensions, we can keep 1Password 3.8 users current with browser updates right alongside 3.9 and 4.0 users. So even if you stick with the 3.8.x versions, your 1Password and browser extensions can stay compatible with browser updates for quite a while.

Still have questions? Join us in the forum!

Like I said, we know there are going to be a lot of questions over this transition and we’re happy to help. While we love comments here on the blog, our forum is the best place to get current and quick support right now. In fact, your question may have already been answered there, so please check our Mac App Store FAQ or search our main forum, but if all else fails, feel free to create a new thread and we’ll be happy to help!

1. Henry
    Henry says:

I have two licenses of 1Password Mac version 3.x
    Does your FAQ mean it’s cheaper to buy 3.x version again in Mac App store in order to upgrade to 4.x version free and that would be cheaper if I buy the upgrade version offline on your website? Correct me if I were wrong. Thanks.

• David
      David says:

Hi Henry! Yes, you are correct: When we released 1Password 3.0 two years ago, our upgrade price from 2.x->3.0 was $25. We aren’t a company that charges for mid-version point upgrades, but we had to charge something in the store, so we decided on this: offer 1Password 3.9, which is now Mac App Store-only, for $20 to celebrate and offer a cheap upgrade price to existing customers. When 1Password 4.0 comes out, also Mac App Store only, you will get it as a free upgrade!

I hope that helps clear things up.

brenty says:

Thanks so much for saying so! In fact, though, I have heard a lot of peopel lately saying we release updates TOO frequently. With a lot of big changes behind us, we are looking forward to making incremental changes, and the new extensions can be updated separately from the main application. We appreciate the feedback! :)

2. David
    David says:

This is nice, but it would’ve been nicer still to have all this posted yesterday when the news broke and I was digging through forums going “what? I have to pay for a .8-.9 upgrade??”

brenty says:

Sorry for the confusion, David! The MAS release took us by surprise as well. The approval process can take some time, but Apple gave the go-ahead and there we were!

Just to clarify, we are still working on the non-MAS version (an update was released just yesterday). The main purpose of the introductory pricing and upgrade path for the MAS version is that it includes a free update to 1Password 4 when it is released.

brenty says:

I am glad to hear it went smoothly, Paul! Thanks for your continued support. We couldn’t do it without you! :)

3. birdpuk
    birdpuk says:

Great offer for new users to get in on.. But sucks for longtime supporters to have to pay the same as basically current retail. We have bought upgrades and worked with beta updates supporting the product as it grew. You need to find a way to let us know we mean more than a brand new customer..

brenty says:

Not at all! It is a great deal, and is half the current retail price as an introductory offer to celebrate the release. The idea of discriminating against new customers bothers me a little, and since there is no way to transfer licenses between the two, it just wouldn’t be possible to do so. If you choose to purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store, you will receive a free update to 1Password 4 when it is released. I don’t think that penalizing newer customers makes that any less of a deal.

• Flex
      Flex says:

To quote Reservoir Dogs (I think): What do you expect, a blowjob?

This is a great offer. It allows us long time users to switch to the App Store version at basically no extra charge, while allowing new customers to get in on the action at a very, very decent price.

You’re not complaining about anything bad happening to you, you’re complaining about something good happening to others. And that’s internet comments in a nutshell.

brenty says:

Any time! I am glad I was able to purchase it, too. I tried under Snow Leopard, but that didn’t work so well (duh), so to Lion I went! The future of 1Password is bright. Thanks so much for your support! :)

4. Daniel
    Daniel says:

I’m a 3.8 user as well and i use 1password for about 2 years. As soon as i realized i get 4.0 with a huge discount here, i mad my purchase. Of course it would be better to get it for free but hey, the longer i think about the more i’m happy to spend this money. I couldn’t live without 1P. and i’m glad that i could give something back to you guys! And when i think about those little improvments ea did with their sportsgames every year – you’re way to cheap guys!! Keep it up!

brenty says:

Thanks so much, Daniel! Your support means a lot to us. I was thinking that this is akin to my World of Warcraft habit: An expansion every year or so, and a monthly subscription. I paid full price for 1Password back in the day, but it has totally paid for itself since! :)

5. Stewart
    Stewart says:

How will this work with a dual Mac/Win licence? $20 for v4 is great, but only suggests coverage of the Mac version. Will you be asking another $20 for the Win upgrade?

brenty says:

While we have only charged for a single upgrade previous to this (1Password 3 a few years ago), I suspect that the next major version of 1Password for Windows will likewise be a paid upgrade. Just for comparison, the standard ‘retail’ price for 1Password has been 40$ for both platforms for some time, as opposed to the discounted upgrades/introductory prices we have offered.

brenty says:

This is an introductory price, but after not even two days we are not certain how long it will be available. If you think it is a good value, you can buy it now and get a free upgrade to 1Password 4 when it is released. I am afraid I cannot provide a time frame, though.

brenty says:

We will be updating 1Password 3.8 for Snow Leopard and Lion, but 3.9+ will be a separate channel, just as we have released updates for 1Password 3.5 on Leopard.

6. Ueli
    Ueli says:

What’s gone happend to the Win version? No news at all, or do I miss something? How about the same $20.- deal?

brenty says:

1Password for Windows is actually a completely separate application, as it is developed specifically for that platform. It is not a port. We haven’t actually had a paid upgrade to the Windows version yet, either, but I suspect that we will offer ‘upgrade’ pricing there as well, just as we did for the 1Password 3 upgrade — the only other paid upgrade we have had thusfar. We have some awesome things in the works for the WIndows version. Keep an eye out! :)

7. Ashley karyl
    Ashley karyl says:

Are you certain you can’t transition the license to the App store? Adnx did this with some software I have by sending out a code by email so all I had to do was redeem the link inside the App Store and upgrade to new Lion only version. It was very simple.

brenty says:

We are new to the Mac App Store ourselves (less than 48 hours!) so we are still looking into our options. Thanks for pointing that out though. I am not familiar with Adnx, but we will certainly consider the possibility to see if it is viable.

In the mean time, what we have done with the MAS version of 1Password is offer an introductory price (half off!) and free upgrades to 1Password 4 when it is released, so it is essentially serves as an upgrade price for the next version. And if you aren’t sure you want to upgrade, we will continue to support you with updates and assistance — your current license is completely valid! :)

In theory this is possible but it doesn’t scale very well.

As far as I know every app is limited to 50 coupon codes per release. If you figure it takes a few weeks to develop a new version and get it approved by Apple, it requires 2 weeks to get an additional 50 coupons, or about 100 coupons a month.

It means it would take almost a year to give out 1000 coupons. Then there’s the question of who gets coupons first, and we’d need to develop an entire system to manage this. I think you’d agree this would be a terrible experience for everyone involved, and could even risk us getting kicked out of the App Store.

I think our time is better spent on developing new 1Password features than trying to hack around Apple’s systems :)

8. Juan Lupión
    Juan Lupión says:

I don’t like being forced to go the App Store way, no matter how convenient it is for the developer. The Omnis are allowing both methods of distribution, Store and regular download.

So, after the 3.8.x series becomes obsolete, I’ll buy another product.

brenty says:

I hate to think we’d see you go. Just remember that your current license is still completely valid, and we will continue to support you with updates and assistance. I personally still have Leopard and Tiger-compatible versions around still for helping those folks. 1Password 3.8 works on Snow Leopard and Lion, so you can continue to use it for a long time! :)

9. Ashley Karyl
    Ashley Karyl says:

I’ve just downloaded version 3.9 from the App store but I notice the old version is still installed. Is there a best way to delete that or do I just drag it to the trash?

brenty says:

Dragging it to the Trash is the best way, as long as you don’t have ‘cleaner’ applications installed that may delete your data as well. Once 1Password 3.9 has loaded your data file you can make a backup (File > Backup Data File) first just in case. :)

10. Brad Wright
    Brad Wright says:

Does this mean we’ll need to wait for Apple to approve any further security/bug fixes? Issues with 1Password tend to be quite severe for users given the purpose of the application. I feel you’d have been better off distributing the application both on and off the app store.

Also, I have a family license which is now useless if I want future upgrades. Quite unhappy.

brenty says:

Thanks so much for your feedback, Brad! We have had some experience with the process with our iOS apps, so we have a good feel for how things work. AES isn’t going anywhere I don’t think, and your sensitive data is encrypted. The main reason for our updates historically has been browser support, and with the extensions now updated separately (and automatically!) from the main application, this should work much better than it would have in the past. The timing was right, so we went for it. As far as maintaining separate distribution channels, at this time the plan is to be MAS-only going forward, but nothing is set in stone. We appreciate your thoughts. :)

• Jeff
      Jeff says:

The license you get from the MAS will allow you to install the single purchase for everyone. In a sense, with the MAS every license is a family license. (There are some differences in detail, but for most situations this really is the case. You will need only one MAS purchase per family.

• James
      James says:

Jeff, unfortunately this does not allow individuals in the family to update themselves without sharing an iTunes account which means you have no control over the security of the store credit or separation of application management between family members.

Also, how will the small business licenses be managed in the new MAS only release model?

11. Arnaud Chaudron
    Arnaud Chaudron says:

Damn. I hate you. I hate you so much. Yet, I can’t live without you. :p

Hell, I have bought the iOS Pro version, the 3.x pack and now the MAS one. Still using the “free trial” on PC. Because, let’s face it, the PC version still suck (but I need it).

I hate you. Please, continue to make 1p. the best tool to make my like easier. And I will pay for it. And hate you for that. I think it’s a compliment. 😉

PS : really, upgrade the PC version.
    PS bis : the free 4.x upgrade was a selling point, I hope it will be a smooth upgrade. 😉

brenty says:

Thank you for the compliment!(?) 😀

We love you, and appreciate your support. We have some great stuff in the works for the Mac, iOS, AND Windows versions! And I don’t know about you, but my other MAS apps are a dream to update. I think we can pull it off. 😉

12. Kalle
    Kalle says:

I just don’t understand the need for long-term users to feel “that we mean more than a brand new customer”. Look, we’ve had the use of the software for the whole time we paid those upgrades and purchase costs. The new user is getting exactly what we’re getting: a license to run 3.9 and a free upgrade to 4. Yes, they’re paying less for this than we paid for our original licenses. But we still have those. And these licenses still have utility. Or could, depending on your situation.

brenty says:

I couldn’t agree more, Kalle! I paid full price for my 1Password license back in the day, and it has served me well — more than paying for itself over the years! It’s the same reason I am willing to pay for a new phone when I need it rather than waiting for a discount or a new model to bring the old price down. I’d rather have the use of it in the mean time. 😉

Thanks Kalle! We love our users and want to make everyone happy. More than once we had a Thanksgiving Give Away that only registered users could take advantage of, and it was a blast giving our customers a gift as we really wouldn’t be here without them.

The only reason I can think people are mad is they are used to how the Telco’s and Cable companies treat their customers: normally they only give new users the good price and shaft all existing customers. I hope everyone understands that’s not what we’re doing here: everyone benefits!

1Password is sandboxed so we needed to make many changes to get approval so there are indeed certain things that are no longer possible (like moving 1Password.app outside of the /Applications folder; Apple sandboxing requires it to be there) but for the most part nothing was “crippled”.

13. Kevin McGuire
    Kevin McGuire says:

I tried 1Password beginning in late June and was so pleased that I purchased a family license for the Mac + PC bundle in late July. I hope the introductory discount holds through the weekend to give me time to prep my Mac for the upgrade to Lion. Thank you for making such a wonderful product and sharing your enthusiasm and knowledge along the way! I look forward to upgrading to 3.9. By the way, when will Knox be available in the MAS? Keep up the great work!

brenty says:

Hey there, Kevin! Thanks so much for the kind words and YOUR enthusiasm! While I cannot make any guarantees, I do not believe that we are in any particular hurry to change the introductory price. It has barely been 48 hours so far. 😉

1Password MAS was the impetus for me to install Lion as well, and it went very quickly and smoothly. I am not sure I am a fan of all the ‘shiny’, but it sure seems solid!

I don’t have anything to announce at this time as far as a MAS version of Knox, but I wouldn’t rule it out either. Keep an eye out for any news right here on our blog. :)

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] Store. Click here : best mac app store apps and mac app store news for more in-depth information.What are iPad Programs? IPad apps are applications for the Apple iPad. More distinctly, most iPad ap…download a free or bought application to your iPad or iPhone. These iPad and iPhone applications are […]

2. […] 1Password for the mac is on sale for $19.99 in the Mac App Store, so I finally got it. If you are overwhelmed with managing passwords for every website you need to login to, this can save your sanity and do it securely.   […]

3. […] את השדרוג לגרסה 4 בחינם. פרטים נוספים אתם  יכולים למצוא בבלוג של Agile Web Solutions (החברה […]

4. […] 公式ブログの1Password, the Mac App Store, and youを見てみると、英語がよくわからない私にもなんとなく伝わってきました。 […]

5. […] out the AgileBits blog post on the Mac App Store release for lots more details and FAQ answers: http://blog.agilebits.com/2011/09/1password-the-mac-app-store-and-you/ Google just Launched their +1 Button. Show your Support for iSource By Clicking! No CommentsNo […]

6. […] gute sechs Wochen später, lese ich das Announcement von Agile Bits, dass sie ab sofort 1Password auch über den Mac App Store vertreiben. Und das zum Preis von 20 […]

7. […] significant if you use it because all future versions will be sold only on the App Store. From the Agilebits blog post: How much does the Mac App Store version cost, and what about 1Password […]

Comments are closed.