Let’s face it, we call them keyboard “shortcuts” for a reason. Shortcuts help you get from point A to point B faster, and in your daily work and play on a computer, you have a lot of point As and Bs. Fortunately, 1Password is packed with quite a few shortcuts to help, so here are some of our favorites for Mac and PC.
- Command-\ – A staple of any shortcut fan, this triggers the 1Password browser extension to AutoFill and AutoSubmit your Login for the current site. If you have multiple Logins for the current site, the extension displays them together at the top. From there you can arrow up and down, then press Return to AutoFill and get in
- Option-Command-\ – This triggers the browser extension, but no AutoFill or AutoSubmit. This allows you to use some other shortcuts listed below (you can customize these two extension trigger shortcuts under Preferences)
- Type to Find – While viewing any list in the browser extension (Logins, Credit Cards, Identities), you can type a couple letters of the item you want. If it’s a Login, you can arrow to it and hit Return to open the website, AutoFill, and AutoSubmit to log right in. How’s that for saving some time?
- Tab – In the browser extension, this cycles through the main sections—Logins, Credit Cards, Identities, Strong Password Generator, Settings
- Right/Left Arrow – With an item selected in the browser extension (a Login or Credit Card), the right arrow will show its details. Use the Left Arrow to get back out to the list
- Option-Command-C – In 1Password for Mac, this copies the password for the selected Login to your clipboard
- Option – In 1Password for Mac, this will reveal the password field(s) in any item including Account items like Email Account, Server, and Database. Hold it to view passwords, let go to obfuscate them again with those little dots
- Command-E – In 1Password for Mac, this switches to Edit mode for the currently selected item. Use it a second time to save the item, confirm your changes, and switch out of edit mode
- Ctrl+\ – Triggers the browser extension to AutoFill and AutoSubmit a Login. On a German keyboard layout, this shortcut defaults to Ctrl+#
- Ctrl+R: In 1Password for Windows, this reveals the password(s) for the currently selected item. Hold to view, let go to conceal
- F2: In 1Password for Windows, this changes the selected folder name
- Enter/Return: In 1Password for Windows, this will edit a Login item or, depending on your preferences, open login item’s URL in web browser
- Ctrl+C: In 1Password for Windows, the 1st time you press it will copy the Login item’s password to the clipboard. Press it again, and it will copy the login item’s username to the clipboard