Watch-on-wrist

1Password for Apple Watch: Putting Security Within Arm’s Reach

1Password for Apple Watch 01Today’s the day! A number of you (and a number of us) are finally going to be able to play with the latest and greatest addition to our gadget family: Apple Watch. No doubt, once you have sent your heartbeat to someone, put in your height and weight measurements for fitness tracking, and marveled at just how cool the haptic feedback is, you’re going to start playing with all the apps that have added support for Apple Watch. As you may have noticed from our latest iOS update, 1Password is one of those apps. We’re thrilled to introduce 1Password for Apple Watch and answer all of your burning questions about this handy little companion app to 1Password for iOS.

Is all of my 1Password data on my watch?

Add to Apple WatchNope! Much like Apple Watch is a companion device to your iPhone, 1Password for Apple Watch is a companion app to 1Password for iOS. After you enable Apple Watch functionality in 1Password’s settings, a new option will appear on the item detail screen which will allow you to “Add to Apple Watch”. You choose which pieces of information you want to make available on your Apple Watch. Logins, Passwords, Credit Cards, and Secure Notes are all fair game to add to Apple Watch.

What am I going to use this for?

When Apple Watch was announced, we immediately began brainstorming ways to bring 1Password to this incredibly personal device. Our first idea was a bit of a no-brainer: the small screen of Apple Watch, coupled with being able to access it quickly, made it the ideal place for one time passwords (TOTP). For a long time that was all our Apple Watch app did; however, after some more thought we realized it could be used for so much more.

As a recent blog post explains, 1Password can be used to store all kinds of information beyond website logins. Locker combinations, bike lock combinations, garage door codes, office keyless entry codes, banking PINs…. All of these pieces of information can be stored in 1Password, and with the introduction of Apple Watch they can now be stored on your wrist.

This is where 1Password for Apple Watch shines: Small pieces of secure data that you need throughout your day can literally be kept within arm’s reach at all times.

Store your locker combination on your Apple Watch.

Store your locker combination on your Apple Watch.

1Password for Apple Watch can ensure that your door's unlock code is always handy.

1Password for Apple Watch can ensure that your door’s unlock code is always handy.

Ok, I’m in! How do I get started?

We have a much more detailed User Guide that goes in-depth on how to set up 1Password for Apple Watch, but we’ll give you the 30,000 foot view of it here.

Step 0: Ensure you have set a device PIN code (or, preferably, a longer, more secure passphrase) and that you have purchased our Pro Features.

Step 1: Open 1Password for iOS and tap on Settings > Apple Watch > Enable Apple Watch. Set a PIN code for use on Apple Watch, and you’re good to go.

Step 2: Add an item to your Apple Watch by tapping on “Add to Apple Watch” in the item details screen.

There is no step three! (And no, we didn’t cheat by starting at zero).

Well this sounds lovely

We hope you love using 1Password on your Apple Watch as much as on all of your other devices! How will you use it to help keep all of your bits of information easily accessible? Leave a note in the comments and let us know.

1. hplan
    hplan says:

What you really ought to do is set it up so that 1password automatically logs me in whenever possible when my Apple watch is authenticated to me and near my computer.

Or, for applications where security is more critical, make it one part of two-part authentication.

• Andrew Costen
      Andrew Costen says:

Those are some cool ideas. We just recently got our Apple Watches ourselves, so we’ll have to play around on them for a while to see what else we can do with the app as time goes on.

Hi Matthew,

This is something that’s been on our minds as well 🙂

We’re looking into how to enable automatic unlocking with an Apple Watch and I look forward to being able to announce something on this blog once it’s possible. I need it myself so I’ll push the team on your behalf 😉

• Andrew Costen
      Andrew Costen says:

Your passwords are stored on the iPhone, not on the Watch, so you’ll be fine there.

2. Jason
    Jason says:

So after updating to iOS 10 and WatchOS 3 “Add to Apple Watch” is no longer an option within 1Password. I have pro features, enabled apple watch and set pin. Can anyone from agilebits comment?

Hi Jason!

Thanks for reaching out and giving us a chance to help 🙂

I suspect you are subscribed to one of our 1Password hosting plans – is that correct? If so, we have a limitation right now that is preventing this from working at the moment. Now that the iOS and WatchOS updates are out we should be able to resolve this soon. I’m sorry for the trouble.

By the way, your comment inspired me to upgrade to iOS 10 and WatchOS 3 – they’re installing as we speak. I thought it best to give the update servers some time to catch their breath so I decided to avoid it yesterday. I couldn’t wait any longer as I’m looking forward to my Apple Watch becoming lightning fast! 🌩

• Jason
      Jason says:

HI Dave,

Thanks for the info and yes I am subscribed to one of the plans. Hope you enjoy the updates. I’ve been running 10 since beta 1 and love it. Still checking everything out on WatchOS 3 but the new scribble feature is fantastic. I’ll be sure to be on the lookout for the returning Apple Watch functionality.

Cool. Thanks for letting me know, Jason. We’ll get things fixed up for the Apple Watch so our services are compatible soon. I’ve pinged Michael for a nice blog post for when his team ships the update so stay tuned 🙂

My Apple Watch is still updating! Any minute now I’ll have the new hotness ⌚️🙂

3. Taits
    Taits says:

I have an iPhone 6S and soon an Apple Watch Series 2. I have a license and I’m happy with it. Will I have to change to the new subscription service to use 1Password in Apple Watch or I will able to use it with my current license?

And finally. The access to my vault trought 1Password App in iOS 10 (iPhone 6S) is now slower. Have you detect it? When I used Touch ID in iOS 9 it was faster. Now it takes much more time. Will you be able to solve it or it’s is problem of iOS 10?

Thanks

Hi Taits,

I’m jealous of your new Apple Watch Series 2! I am going to need to get myself one of those 🙂

The fact that you’re happy with 1Password the way you’ve been using it is all that matters – licenses and subscriptions are both awesome. As long as you found the one that works best for you, you’re all set.

As for TouchID in iOS 10, I personally found every interaction with TouchID to be very slow until I rebooted my iPhone. Afterwards things have been running quite smoothly, at least on my iPhone 6S. Give that a try and if it’s still slow, please let us know. If so, it would be helpful to know if unlocking your iPhone and using Apple Pay are also slow for you or if it’s limited to 1Password.

Take care and best of luck with your new watch! Which one did you get? Yes, I’m indeed hoping you give me the final push over the edge to purchase mine 😀

• Taits
      Taits says:

Restarting the iPhone it seems it works faster. I will continue testing it.

I’ve bought the lower model of Apple Watch Series 2: https://goo.gl/0nSSs4 It’s my first Apple Watch and I will test if it is useful for me.

Thanks for your answer!

Awesome! Thanks for getting back to me, Taits. I’m glad rebooting helped. I just got my iPhone 7 plus yesterday and I haven’t experienced any slowdowns there yet, so maybe it’s a hold over from upgrading from iOS 9.

Your Apple Watch choice is a nice one! I’m seriously considering a series 2 but am trying to live with my first gen for now. We’ll see how long that lasts – I think I’ll crack soon and order a new one 🙂

Good morning, Tarun! Well, it’s past noon, but I like to think of Saturdays as one big morning so I’m going to keep saying Good Morning for as long as I reasonably can 🙂 ☀️

You’re right about Google, it’s an amazing facilitator! I often use it myself to search our own sites when I need an answer to something 🙂

The trick with Google is it finds everything and sometimes the information is out of date or not applicable so it’s not a panacea. Well, at least not yet anyway. Which is good news I guess as it means I won’t be out of a job for another few years at least 😉

4. muselincw
    muselincw says:

Hi, I want to use apple watch to see the password and TOTP, but I only can see the TOTP on my apple watch. Do I have any method the see these two information on my apple watch?

• MrRooni
      MrRooni says:

Good morning @muselincw! At the moment, when there is a one-time password present for an item, that’s all we show on the watch. One workaround in the short term would be to add a second item that contains only the OTP for that item, remove the OTP from the other, and then add both to Apple Watch. I realize this isn’t ideal, but it will get you up and running with all your items on your watch. Cheers, and thanks for being a 1Password customer!

5. moogthemoog
    moogthemoog says:

Hi, I can add login details to my Apple Watch, but there’s nothing to allow me to add my Email account (i.e. the password) to the watch? Is Apple Watch restricted to items set up as Logins?

• Jeffrey Goldberg
      Jeffrey Goldberg says:

Yes, moogthemoog, there are some item types which are not yet supported for display on the Apple Watch. So you may need to create a Login or a Secure Note with a copy of your Email account information. I’m sorry for that extra bit that you will have to do and maintain until we get more item types working on the Watch.