Introducing 1Password for Teams

Today I am happy to announce 1Password for Teams, an exciting new way to use 1Password within a team environment!

Why 1Password for Teams?

Many of you already use 1Password with your friends, family and coworkers. So it’s hard to believe that when we first released 1Password nearly 10 years ago, there wasn’t even a way to share a vault with someone else!

Over the years we added features oriented towards teams, such as vault sharing. Thanks to these features and more, many companies are happily using 1Password today, including NASA, Basecamp, and Atlassian.

But a lot of you asked us for more: more control, easier deployment of vaults, and a simpler signup and billing process. We now have an answer for you, and best of all, it meets the privacy and security standards you expect from 1Password.

Introducing 1Password for Teams

1Password for Teams allows you to share the convenience and security of 1Password with everyone in your life. It gives you the tools you need to control and manage access to your most important information.

New to 1Password for Teams is the Admin Console, a central location to manage your team, vaults and items.

The Admin Console makes teamwork a breeze and it completely changes the way you use 1Password in a group environment. It’s packed with features you’ve been asking for, and several new ones you didn’t know you needed :)

1. Easily Bring New People On Board. Effortlessly invite new team members. Signup is super quick and you can even automate it by sending out a link to your entire organization.
  2. Share and Revoke Vaults. New vaults appear automatically on all devices, without anyone needing to configure syncing. Changes, additions and revocations spread instantly to all devices.
  3. Control Who Has Access to What. Not everyone needs the ability to see or change every password. Create read-only vaults, control who can print or export items, and even allow teammates to log in to sites without being able to see the passwords.
  4. Recover Locked Out Accounts. We have never been able to reset your Master Password. With 1Password for Teams, we still can’t—but you can! Admins can recover account access for teammates, giving you a backup plan for emergencies.

These are just some of the things the Admin Console can do, and the Admin Console is just one piece of what makes 1Password for Teams so amazing.

Secure FoundationA Secure and Private Foundation

As much as I love talking about the new features, the thing I’m most proud of is how everything is built upon a foundation of security and privacy. We’ve made it priority number one to ensure that you and your teammates are the only ones who ever have access to your shared secrets.

We encrypt everything on the client and do not have a copy of your encryption keys. Your keys are generated on your local devices and we use technologies like WebCrypto and Secure Remote Password to ensure that no unencrypted data is ever shared with us.

Please see our security page for more details on how 1Password for Teams is built from the ground up to keep your team’s secrets safe and private.

Now that I’ve given you a taste of 1Password for Teams, you probably want to know how to sign up and how much it costs. I’m glad you asked :)

During the beta, 1Password for Teams is completely free for you and all your teammates. Once the beta ends, we’ll move to a monthly subscription model. I don’t have exact numbers for you right now, but we plan to be in beta for at least a few months, so you’ll have plenty of time for a test drive.

To reserve your team, simply click the button below and enter your email address:

Oh, I almost forgot the best part: subscribing to 1Password for Teams gives you a lot more than just a web app. You and your teammates will also get access to our award-winning native apps for iOS, Mac, Windows and Android.

I Hope You Love 1Password for Teams

I’m super excited to finally share 1Password for Teams with you! We’ve kept it secret for a long time and it’s been incredibly hard not to spill the beans every time someone asked us for team features :)

I hope you love 1Password for Teams as much as we do. We’ve been using it ourselves and with our families for months and couldn’t imagine life without it.

Please let us know what you think in the comments below, on Twitter, and in our Discussion Forums. And be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

Cheers!

1. Dave Teare

It’s hard to believe we’ve been working on 1Password for 10 years now. While writing this post I had a fun fact for those who’ve been with us since the beginning: back when Roustem and I created 1Password in 2006, it was called 1Passwd and AgileBits was known as Agile Web Solutions.

I wasn’t able to fit this into the blog post as it got cut during editing, so I thought being the first comment was the next best thing :)

Bonus points for anyone who knows what our company name was before we changed it to Agile Web Solutions ;)

• Sara Teare
      Sara Teare says:

I love me some bonus points, but I think I’m DQ’d from this contest :)

We are so excited here today and can’t wait to hear your feedback!!

Thank you all for your support!!!
      Sara
      AgileBits Minister of Magic

You nailed it!!

Yes indeed, our original name was PalmSphere. When Roustem and I first started we were were designing a website to sell apps for the Treo/Palm.

Thank you for being with us since the beginning, Dave!

Hi Piotr,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us how important Linux is to you! You’re certainly right that a Linux version would be a great addition to the 1Password line up.

As you say, 10 years is a lot of development time and indeed we covered ton of ground during that period. We started with “just” Mac, added iOS (iPhone plus iPad), Windows and Android and now Windows Modern. And of course, we needed to keep up will all the operating systems updates from Apple, Google, and Microsoft during that time. We even managed to squeeze in new features for 1Password, too! :)

Even though we were busy with all the above, support for Linux frequently made it into many design discussions. 1Password for Teams introduces a web app that allows you to view all your vault items and in the near future it will allow full editing of your items as well. There are a few hiccups on Linux that we need to iron out in the current beta to allow Linux browsers to sign up correctly, but we’ll get there soon.

Longer term we are planning on expanding support even further and I think you’ll enjoy what we have in store.

• Glenn
      Glenn says:

I use it onlinux via Wine and the Windows version… Drop FireFox in Wine and even the plugin works… Not perfect but functional.

• Piotr Zaborowski
      Piotr Zaborowski says:

Alternatively you can run VirtualBox in Seamless Windows mode and have a full-blown OS available just to get 1Password. It should also be more stable at the cost of being a resource hog.

But frankly, if I would rely on Windows software I would just dual boot or have a separate machine for it. Of course this would not fix the problem of not having 1Password everywhere.

1PasswordAnyware is not a solution, as you can’t edit vaults with it. Been there when I switched from Mac to Linux. Now it’s just a zombie tab I visit when I have to recall some password.

Thanks for letting us know Wine is working well for you, Glenn!

Many customers have reported success with 1Password and Wine but enough have reported issues that we decided not to advertise this feature very much. Maybe I should mention it more than I do?

Cheers!

Hi Piotr,

I just wanted to add to your 1PasswordAnywhere comment. You’re absolutely right that 1PasswordAnywhere is read-only, and so is the current web app in 1Password for Teams. We will be enabling editing capabilities soon, we just have to write a bit more code first :)

• Piotr Zaborowski
      Piotr Zaborowski says:

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your informative response. I’m certainly interested in having 1Password on Linux and the web app sounds like a really good intermediary solution, though I wouldn’t consider it for personal use as the main selling point for me was the ease of cmd+\ and setting up randomly generated passwords (which I now regret when I find myself retyping passwords from time to time).

I’ll eventually buy the Linux client once it comes out. Switching to Linux was a really bad experience. Breaking off from iCloud (especially after sending my whole photo library there) was painful, but at least I could download everything back. In case of 1Password I’m stuck with 1PasswordAnywhere which is not a solution for long-term use. Also, other password managers on Linux are just plain bad (or I’m just spoiled by 1Password’s awesomeness ;) ).

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you for sharing your experiences, Peter!

I don’t want to promise additional Linux support any time soon but you and Linux are certainly on our radar. In fact, we just finished discussing you and your needs on our last call that I was on :)

• Andrew
      Andrew says:

Great idea, need to get an idea of the price first. I am not eager to spend time learning and hopefully loving a new feature, only to find out it’s price too high.

Hi Andrew,

I’m glad you like what you’re seeing :)

As for price, we don’t have all the details worked out yet. Our pricing page (https://teams.1password.com/pricing/) gives an idea of pricing because we agree with you that it’s nice to know the price before starting to use a service. We’re simply stating “Starting at $4.99 per user per month” for now as we’re still not exactly sure which features will end up in which pricing tier, but hopefully that gives enough details to make your decision.

I hope that helps. Take care and let me know if there is anything else we can help with.

• Sindarina
      Sindarina says:

$5/user/month is high enough that it’ll be a barrier for a lot of small teams, whether they be families, small companies, non-profits and whatnot. Also, for larger teams it’ll run into the similar problems, because it’s high enough to be An Investment.

For example, if I wanted to get this sorted for a client with about 90 users, we’d be looking at $450/month, $5.400/year, and $16.200 vs. $27.000 if you’re looking at a comparison to a purchased product amortised over 3 or 5 years respectively.

This is close to the baseline cost of running a custom Windows setup for Exchange and SharePoint on cloud servers, including licenses for the same number of users.

I understand that there is value in the service that you cannot get otherwise, but I am not seeing enough business sense in it, at this level :(

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Sindarina!

Regarding pricing for families, I see where you’re coming from. We added a section about Family Pricing to our FAQs you might enjoy:

Will you have a family pricing plan?

Sometimes products can price themselves for business use and ignore families entirely. We’re a family company, so we plan to do things quite differently.

While we can’t yet share any specifics at this time, we have some ideas that we think will make you very happy. Families are absolutely on our minds — after all, what team is more important than your family? It’s like we always say: a family that is secure together is secure together. :)

We’ll be updating the 1Password for Teams Pricing page with details as they become available. For now, there is nothing to lose by signing up for the beta, since 1Password for Teams is free during the beta period.

I suspect we will do something similar for non-profits as well when the time is right. Pricing is important and we will be being more explicit about it in the future, but for now we’re focused on polishing the existing UX in 1Password for Teams, as well as adding a few special features that we think you’ll like :)

I hope this helps!

• Adam
      Adam says:

I’m thinking along similar lines and wondering if there will be a one-time purchase for a certain number of licensed users with paid upgrades.

I see a lot of software companies using this pricing strategy and it makes budgeting much easier in a small business where cash flow can be very sporadic. That way I can buy it when times are good, and don’t have to cancel my subscription if cash gets tight for a few months, then upgrade if/when a new version comes out and the budget allows for it. Otherwise, It’s a no-go for me and my team from the start since it’s like tacking on overhead forever via a subscription.

Hi Adam,

Honestly I haven’t given that much thought yet so I’m not going to speculate one way or the other.

During the beta period everything is completely free for as many users as you want, and exporting is a simple process if you decide not to subscribe when the beta ends. So now’s a great time to learn how invaluable the teams features are :)

Once we have the things polished and a few special new features completed, we’ll revisit the pricing discussion.

Cheers!

• Andrew
      Andrew says:

How about a “Team Lite” that would only store 5 passwords. The cost could be a flat fee of $15.00. Of course it could always be upgraded. This is affordable for the smaller guys and would allow for a revenue stream for you.

• Linus
      Linus says:

Hi Agile Bites-Team. What a great announcement.
      I can imagine using this for our family as well as for my business.
      The pricing discussion is quite interesting.

I’d like to ask you to have some “Pro”-Features for the business account (like passwords for RDP-connections, TeamViewer-connections, software licenses, …), which a lot of people would be willing to pay for and some “standard features” (family amazon account, dads credit cards, Passports, IDs and driveling licenses, …), which you might consider offering for free for families, since the users will already have paid the software.

I know it’s hard, but give it a go.
      And try to keep in mind: If you give nice stuff to families for free, you make those people dependent from your software and “grow” future clients for the “Pro”-features ;-)

Hi Linus,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Having a Free and Pro tiers is something a lot of companies do, but it’s tough to make a free tier that is compelling enough to use but limited enough to encourage people to upgrade to the paid tier. Many companies have gotten this wrong over the years and gone out of business as a result. We plan on being here for a long time so quite frankly I don’t want to take the risk, nor do I want to get Venture Capital funding to make it possible, either :)

We have some great ideas for Families and I think you’ll enjoy them. Please give us some time to get the beta rolling and we’ll revisit pricing then.

• Dale Malcolm
      Dale Malcolm says:

Dave,
      I used to use Bento for all my account and password needs. I have owned 1Password for quite a while but I am finally getting around to moving my account info to 1Password as Bento is no longer supported by FileMaker. I don’t know why I put it off so long as it has been very easy to learn. I would like to suggest as a companion to the new 1Password for Teams you might consider “1Password for Families”. I would like to be able to sync my files with my wife’s Mac as well as our phones and iPad. I don’t know if the pricing on the Team version will be too expensive to be able to sync just one more Mac. Great product and I look forward to seeing the Team or “Family” pricing when available.
      Dale M.

Hi Dale,

I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying your transition to 1Password. Welcome aboard! :)

As for family pricing, we’re not ready to announce anything at this time but we’re a family company and we’ll be extra kind to families in our pricing.

Give us some time to get our Pricing Ducks in a row and we’ll be announcing it here on the blog once we’re ready.

Cheers!

2. John Ankoch
    John Ankoch says:

Do I still need some US Providers like Dropbox to sync my data across devices?
    Like to have the sync on my own OwnCloud Server.

Hi John,

When using 1Password for Teams we take care of everything for you. New items, vaults, and changes automatically appear on all your devices without you needing to configure syncing or use any 3rd party service.

For the personal version of 1Password, we continue to support Dropbox, iCloud, and Wi-Fi Sync. You can also use Folder Sync and allow OwnCloud to sync the folder between your Mac and PCs, and then use Wi-Fi to sync to iOS. This user guide article covers this in more detail:

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

• Felix Wahner
      Felix Wahner says:

Will there be a possibility to NOT let 1password “magically” sync the passwords (i guess this refers to storing them on your / some amazon cloud / rackspace… whatever servers)? I think storing sensitive data on servers we don’t control would be a no go.

• Felix Wahner
      Felix Wahner says:

Another Question: Why won’t there be a “Pay and use forever” (aka buy a license) Model? I mean: What if some company (for whatever reason) isn’t able to pay their (monthly) bills for a certain amount of time. ALL their CRITICAL login data won’t be accessible for them. Depending on what type of company we’re talking about this could harm them (by not being able to access servers, accounts…) even more.

Hi Felix,

In answer to your second question, anyone wanting to “Pay and use forever” can simply purchase 1Password and not subscribe to 1Password for Teams. You and your team would be able to use all the features of 1Password; you simply would not receive the additional features of the team version, including:

• Share and sync without the need of a third-party sync service
      • Deploy new vaults to your teammates automatically
      • Invite new members in bulk
      • Set granular access permissions for each teammate on each vault
      • Revoke access to vaults and suspend/delete team members
      • Recover accounts if your teammates forget their Master Passwords

As for accessing your data, we will never lock you out of your account for not paying. If you chose not to continue paying (when paying is even an option – during the beta everything is free) your account will go into read-only mode. You won’t be able to create new vaults or items, but you and your teammates will still be able to sign in, view, and export all your data.

I hope that helps. Cheers!

Hi Felix,

1Password will not magically sync your data to anywhere you don’t explicitly tell it to. Your vaults and items stay where you put them and you decide what to do with your data, not us.

In other words, 1Password for Teams is completely opt-in. And if you do opt-in, you can continue to use your personal vaults exactly as you are today. Any team vaults that you are given access to will stay completely separate.

I hope that helps,

• Felix Wahner
      Felix Wahner says:

As this is the blog post is about “1Password for Teams” I was obviously refferring to “1Password for Teams” and it’s ability to sync and manage team vaults. I’m not talking about personal vaults.

Hi Felix,

Thank you for clarifying things.

I’m not sure I’m following you 100%, but it sounds like you want to use 1Password for Teams but instead of having us manage everything for you, you would rather host it yourself. Is this correct?

If so, this isn’t possible with 1Password for Teams at this time. Perhaps this could change at some point in the future, but given how many moving parts there I wouldn’t expect this any time soon. I fear there are just too many things that can go wrong and supporting so many different configurations would be very difficult.

If you’d prefer to manage everything yourself, you can always use the vault sharing feature in 1Password:

As I mentioned above in my previous comment, you won’t get access to all of the 1Password for Teams features like the Admin Console for easy team management, but it would work fine and I know many companies have been doing it this way for a long time. 1Password for Teams was designed to simplify this process, but the old way still continues to work fine.

I hope this helps, take care and please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

3. Jim Harris
    Jim Harris says:

Dave
    All I can remember is that for a while you were called Agile Bits. Inc.
    I do recall though that when you first started up, the 1Password.com but that was already taken.
    Do I get help points?? :)

I don’t remember AgileBits ever having a space in it, Jim, but I’m sure we’ve had our share of typos over the years :)

As for 1Password.com, you’re totally right. In the beginning this domain wasn’t available and since we were just starting out and had no VC money, we couldn’t afford to buy it at the time. So we went by 1Passwd for quite a while. Thankfully awesome customers like yourself supported us over the years so we were able to finally purchase it.

You certainly get points in my book, Jim! :)

Hi Stefan,

I’m glad to see you’re excited about 1Password for Teams! :)

It is a little premature to talk about converting business licenses at this point as we still need to finalize pricing. Once we complete the beta process we can absolutely work with you to figure out what works best for you and your company. At that time reach out to us at support@1password.com and we’ll take it from there.

Cheers!

4. Bruce Dillahunty
    Bruce Dillahunty says:

Seems like this would be a great way to support “other platforms” like Linux, etc… even for just personal accounts. Does it work with Linux Chrome/Firefox?

Any consideration of a “family level” of the teams product?

• Khad Young
      Khad Young says:

Good questions, Bruce.

1Password has fantastic native apps for Mac, iOS, Windows and Android. The 1Password apps for Mac and iOS already have full support for 1Password for Teams, and the Windows and Android apps will join in the fun by the time of our official release.

1Password for Teams also has a fully featured web app that allows you to view the items in your vaults use the Admin Console to manage your team. You can sign into the web app on any platform (including Linux) that supports Chrome, Firefox or Opera.

As for families, 1Password for Teams is designed for teams of any size. Teams of all shapes and sizes are enjoying the benefits of 1Password, all the way from startups to members of the Fortune 500. Teams aren’t limited to companies, either. We’ve been using 1Password to protect and share with our own families as well. :)

• Bruce Dillahunty
      Bruce Dillahunty says:

Thanks Khad… sorry, I missed the FAQ page (duh).

Guess my concern was that pricing would be at a “corporate level” which isn’t always family friendly, but guess I’ll evaluate when I get that far :-)

Thanks

Hey Bruce,

No worries about missing the FAQs; it’s happened to everyone at one time or another :)

You’re right that sometimes products can price themselves at the corporate level and ignore families. We’re a family company so we plan to do things quite differently – we have some ideas that I think will make you happy. I can’t share any specifics at this time but I can say that families are absolutely on our minds.

Cheers!

• Bruno Hanquier
      Bruno Hanquier says:

Hey Dave. I was happy to see your reply. I must say the “monthly plan” thing triggered very negative feelings in me (a “there you go” kind of feeling), the first time I’ve experienced this with an AgileBits product, and I’m an old customer…
      I basically want to control what my life-partner (just because he’s very little tech-savvy and prone to blunders with his shiny new toys) and I share in a common vault, and that’s it. That’s just 2 persons, and I would be really disappointed if that required to pay the price of, say, a 10 Gb cloud storage monthly plan.
      So, yeah, super news, congrats AND fingers crossed!

Thanks for being with us since the beginning, Bruno!

I understand exactly where you’re coming from. Teams of two are just as important as any other team, if not more so :)

I’m pretty sure you’ll like what we have in store for you.

Cheers!

• David
      David says:

The web app is read-only.

You dodged the issue highlighted by the parent: There is no native GNU/Linux support by 1Password and it’s a highly desired feature for a lot of organisations, and 1Password for Teams is aimed at those organisations.

Hi David,

You’re right that the web app is read-only at this moment. It’s one of the reasons we launched as a beta. We hope to have editing capabilities in the web app soon.

As for a native GNU/Linux app, you’re right, we don’t have one yet. We have some cool ideas in mind here but nothing we’re ready to share just yet.

Cheers!

• Khad Young
      Khad Young says:

It really is a great question, Tarjei. From the FAQ (and my reply to Bruce above):

We haven’t had enough time to think that far out to be honest, Keehun. The issue with free tiers is it’s incredibly difficult to balance things in such a way that the free tier is amazing enough to use yet the higher tiers are compelling enough to upgrade to. It’s certainly possible but many companies have gotten it wrong and gone out of business. We plan on being here for a very long time, so it’s not a risk we want to take any time soon :)

Cheers!

5. Anton
    Anton says:

All my colleagues already have personal 1password installed on all the devices. How do we add team accounts to personal ones now?

Hello Anton,

First I gotta say thank you for using 1Password! We wouldn’t be here without you :)

As for personal and team vaults, they will stay completely separate. Once you join a team, any vaults you are given access to will automatically appear in 1Password, and your existing personal vaults will stay exactly where they are. Items will stay in there respective vaults until they are explicitly moved.

I hope that helped answer your question. By the way, I think you might enjoy this list of Frequently Asked Questions and answers we wrote up
      for existing 1Password users:

Please let us know if there’s anything else I can do to help.

Comments are closed.