1Password for Mac update featured image

1Password 6 for Mac is here!

[Update] 1Password 6 is now available in the Mac App Store. *squee*

It’s a new year and we’re starting things off on a strong note with a great new update to 1Password for Mac: Version 6.0! This latest version of everyone’s favorite password manager is looking better than ever, and we couldn’t have done it without you. Your awesome feature requests, suggestions, bug reports, and usage scenarios really helped us decide what to include in this release.

All Vaults view

All VaultsMultiple vaults is one of my favourite features in 1Password. It keeps all of my information neatly organized and shared with the right people. But, with a great number of vaults comes greater opportunity for (dis)organization. And with 1Password for Teams, odds are you have a lot more vaults than you did before!

With the new All Vaults view, you can see all of your items in the main app and in 1Password mini without switching vaults. Do you have a family vault set up for your parents? How about that Teams vault that holds all the business social accounts? You probably have vaults that you need to keep for reference but that you don’t want cluttering up your everyday view. The All Vaults view is customizable so you can choose which vaults you see there.

All Vaults preferencesSee all the information you want. See only the information you want.

Powered-Up Strong Password Generator

One of our most frequently requested features is here! 1Password 6 for Mac features a refined and simplified Strong Password Generator. If you use 1Password for iOS, you’ve already seen our fancy new wordlist password generator. Now you can take advantage of this feature on Mac as well. Choose the new Words option to create a password comprising random words chosen from a list approved by our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts. Wordlist passwords are easy to remember and type, without sacrificing strength and security. If you prefer a jumble of letters, numbers, and symbols, the Characters option you know and love is still there for you.

Strong password generator

iCloud sync

Surprise! Thanks to some pretty significant changes Apple made recently, we are now able to offer iCloud sync to customers who bought 1Password for Mac directly from the AgileBits Store. As you probably know, this was previously only available to Mac App Store customers, and we’re super excited to be able to offer it to everyone.

You might be wondering how we’re able to do this. You can read all the details in our blog post. If you’re a Mac app developer, you’ll want to read it too! We have something special just for you. :D

If you own the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac and are excited to set up iCloud sync RIGHT NOW, our User Guide will help you.

Access all your Teams vaults

If you’ve been waiting to sign up for 1Password for Teams Beta, now’s a great time.  You can easily add your team to 1Password 6 for Mac. It even has a Teams-only mode, so if you’ve never used 1Password before, it’s easier than ever to get started on your Mac.
Teams preferences

All this can be yours for the low low price of…

Zero! Zip! Zilch! We’re thrilled to say that 1Password 6 is a free update for all 1Password 4 and 1Password 5 for Mac owners.  If you already own a license for 1Password, you can check for updates from within 1Password to upgrade to version 6. The AgileBits Store version is available now, and we’ll hit the “Publish” button on the Mac App Store version just as soon as it’s approved!

If you want to know all the details about the shiny new awesome, read the full release notes.

1. Jeff Shiner
    Jeff Shiner says:

I am so excited that I can finally share this awesome new release with all of you.

I know this isn’t a big stadium where I can ask the Mac team to stand up for a round of applause like at Apple keynotes, but I would still like to extend a hearty Congratulations to my awesome team for all their hard work in getting out this release!

I’d let them go sleep now but they are too busy having fun in the forums waiting for your feedback :)

Hi there,

Thanks for being excited! We’re all having trouble sitting still because of all of the excitement around here.

The update was propagating a little slowly, but you should be seeing the upgrade very soon if it hasn’t appeared already.

Best wishes,

2. Evan
    Evan says:

This is one of the few apps I have no hesitations recommending to people and actively push people to sign up for and you just made that easier! Awesome. I recently got my girlfriend, her parents, and my parents hooked up on this so shared vaults in an all vaults view on the mac is really a great feature.

Can’t wait until the update pushes out to me!

Hi Ricardo,

1Password 6 is a free upgrade for any of our customers running 1Password 4 or 1Password 5. To date, the only upgrade we have charged for is the jump from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4. And that was because we completely rebuilt the app from the ground up with 1Password 4.

However. ff you would like to update to 1Password 6, you will get an upgrade discount as an existing customer. Just go to our store at http://agilebits.com/store and click on the Upgrade button The 1Password 6 for Mac license. You will be prompted to enter your 1 Password 3 license code and then you will see the discounted prices you are eligible for.

Thanks so much!
      -Eva

3. Chris
    Chris says:

Super excited here about the update from my existing v 5.4.3, however there does not appear to be any updates available (either via the “Check for Updates…” menu item or on the Agilebits website… Is this a timing issue?

Hi Chris,

The update is propagating more slowly than we had hoped, but it is definitely out there. Just give the app a little more time to pick up the update and you should be golden.

Thanks,

• vinchubangvincent-b
      vinchubangvincent-b says:

I know one developer who once told us that the update had propagated faster than expected. But everyone thinks it’s a lie….

Updates set to auto, I’ll have a nice surprise one of these days ;)

Hi there!

We are always glad when we are able to provide free updates, so I am glad to hear that you appreciate it. And yes, the mysteries of update propagation are well…mysterious. ;-)

Hi Richard,

Thanks so much! It is great to hear how much your appreciate our efforts. It is customers like you that make it a pleasure for me to come to work every day.

If you really want to help support our development, help us spread te word about 1Password. And good password management is always a great gift idea. :-)

Keep being awesome!
      -Eva

Hi there,

I will pass on your feedback to our designers. I know they will appreciate your kind words. :-)

Best wishes,

4. Adam D.
    Adam D. says:

In the release notes, it states:

OPVault is now the default sync format when creating a new file using Dropbox or Folder sync.

Should existing vaults be migrated to this format? Or recommendations?

Hi Adam,

Great question! Your data is secure in either format. But, that being said, if you are comfortable doing so, I would recommend migrating your existing vaults to OPVault. You will find instructions on the conversion here.

Let us know if you have any questions about the migration.

Hi Nikolay,

Sadly no. We have submitted it for review and we will hit the publish button just as soon as Apple gives us the green light.

Stay tuned,

eva says:

Very glad to hear how eager you are. Personally, I am very proud of my colleagues for their awesome job on thus upgrade!

5. MetsFanVI
    MetsFanVI says:

I am looking for a password manager that works across Windows 7, Mac OS and iOS. Dropbox syncing is not an option for me. Does 1Password for Windows support iCloud as well?

Hi there,

Unfortunately not. At least for the moment, Dropbox is the only sync option we have from cross-platform syncing.

6. Stephen Keese
    Stephen Keese says:

I am running iPassword 5.4. Cannot find any mention of Update in the menu items or Preferences. Tried App Store. 1P is not in the list of my purchased apps, so I must have bought my version directly from AgileBits, which is likely. So how do I get the upgrade?

Hi Stephen,

Have you upgraded to 1Password 5.4.3 yet? You will need to run that update to be able to update to 1Password 6.

Let me know if that fixes things.

Thanks,

Hi there,

I would never say never, but it is not something that we are focusing on right now. Our customers’ feedback means a lot to us. I will be happy to add your comment to our feature requests.

Thanks,

7. Sam
    Sam says:

How can i switch from the app store version to the Agilebits store version again. iCloud was the limitation, that why i switched to appstore version.

Now with sync back it want to switch back, more updates, no more Apple prison limitations!

8. Stefan
    Stefan says:

Great, a year ago I was told to spend another 31€ on the Mac App Store to reenable iCould Sync because it was not possible with the Agile Store version and now it works? I feel a bit scammed…

Hi Stefan,

I’m so sorry you are feeling scammed, but about a year ago it wasn’t possible to access iCloud sync through any apps not sold directly through the Mac App Store.

Since then, Apple has provided a brand new way of accessing their CloudKit servers: CloudKit web services. CloudKit web services allows apps to access CloudKit via a really nice web framework called CloudKit JS. Ultimately, CloudKit JS is what enabled us to support iCloud sync in our AgileBits Store version of 1Password.

• Stefan
      Stefan says:

Hi Eva,

thanks for your reply. I understand that it wasn’t possible in a technical way. Nevertheless was I forced to pay the full price for a mac app store upgrade to get iCloud sync to work again. The only thing I got was a code for your store to buy more apps which I don’t need or which do not use iCloud sync which I wanted to use. I just think that this is a pretty bad way to treat paying customers especially when they want to use your software because it is awesome. I leaves a sour taste…

Regards,
      Stefan

• brenty
      brenty says:

I’m really sorry that you feel put out by us trying to go the extra mile to enable iCloud Sync in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password now that this has become possible. It can feel like a bitter pill to swallow when others benefit from something you no longer can — sort of like when you buy an awesome new gadget for full price and then it drops or goes on sale months later (remember the first iPhone?!)

This happens to me ~all the time~! But I think it’s important to keep in mind that when you and I spend our heard-earned money on something we want right away, and others get a deal by waiting…well, we’ve had access to the thing all along, and enjoyed its benefits — whether it be iCloud Sync or the new iPad I could have saved a few hundred bucks on by waiting longer. There’s a cost involved, but also a benefit. You’ve been able to sync with iCloud for the past year while many others couldn’t. Frankly, I’m really glad to have this option now too.

That said, please email us directly at support+blog@agilebits.com and we’ll see if there’s anything we can do to help.

9. Martial M
    Martial M says:

Any update on the Opvault availability ? I use the software on iOS / OSX / Win / Android and can not use iCloud for syncing but I would really love to be able to use this format ?

Hi there,

Unfortunately, we do not have OPVault format available for Android and we won’t for the foreseeable future. But we do have a very exciting beta for Android that we are looking at releasing soon. I know that is small consolation since it will not include the feature you are looking for, but I will certainly add your vote for adding OPVault compatibility in to a future update.

Thanks for asking!
      -Eva

• Steve
      Steve says:

Just putting in another vote for an updated Android version. I’m a new user, and although I think 1password is overall very awesome so far, the only real pain right now is syncing with my Android phone since it cannot access opvault.

Is there any recommended way of syncing with Android, other than copying the passwords manually?

Thanks for all your hard work!

• brenty
      brenty says:

I’m glad you mentioned it! The Android team is hard at work prepping a beta as we speak (okay, admittedly they are probably asleep at this hour, but you know what I mean).

You can use either Dropbox or Wi-Fi Sync with 1Password for Android, but I’d recommend Dropbox simply because it’s…well, simpler, and less fiddly since it doesn’t depend on your network setup — you just need an internet connection:

And of course I’ll be happy to reply here, but if you need help setting it up the best thing would be to post on the discussion forum. So I can reply there. It’s just easier than blog comments. ;)

Hi there,

You can only sync your primary vault with iCloud. Any secondary vaults will need to either be synced through Dropbox or be 1Password for Teams vaults.

• Sam
      Sam says:

It worked, thank you.

No difficulties/complains from Agilebits to switch between Appstore/Webstore versions, that how i like it.
      Great service/support!

Hi Sam,

Great, happy to hear everything went very smoothly. We are always here to help, so just holler if you have any more questions.

Best wishes,