1Password tips

Staying Organized with 1Password for Teams

In our recent newsletter I had planned to share my New Year resolution to get organized and how I am using 1Password for Teams to keep my Family and Work information separate. It got too long for a newsletter so I thought I’d write a blog post instead.

First, a little bit of history is in order. I started using 1Password nearly 10 years ago and have accumulated well over 2000 items during that time. These include work, personal, and family logins; secure notes; and just about anything else you can think of.

Here are just a few of the things I have in 1Password:

• Personal logins for Twitter, Facebook, etc.
  • Tons of AgileBits logins and keys. Running a company needs a lot of passwords!
  • My wife Sara’s financial accounts that I never use but need access to just in case.
  • Test data needed for testing 1Password’s browser extension.

And that’s just the beginning. Now that the kids are getting older, their logins are becoming increasingly important. If Abby or Jack were to lose access to their Minecraft or ROBLOX accounts, their little worlds would literally fall apart.

Add to that the logins needed for estate planning for my parents and Sara’s mom, and you can easily see how I wound up with thousands of items in 1Password!

1Password does a great job storing all this information and allows me to access it from anywhere whenever I need it, but I would like to organize it better.

In addition to wanting to be organized, I also need to share some items with colleagues and others with family. Some items, like my personal information, should remain mine and should not be shared with anyone. Tags are great for simple organizational tasks, but they’re not enough for all my needs.

Thankfully there’s a perfect solution…

Enter 1Password for Teams

As I’ve used 1Password over the past decade, I’ve always managed my own vaults, using a mixture of iCloud, Dropbox, and even Wi-Fi Sync for a time. Six months ago, Roustem invited me to our new AgileBits team on 1Password for Teams and I fell in love.

With 1Password for Teams, creating additional vaults and syncing them to all my devices is super easy. Best of all, I can share individual vaults with specific teammates and the vaults will automatically appear on their devices.

Once creating and sharing vaults was made so easy, it became natural to create a lot of them for various tasks and to share between teams. Here’s a glimpse of the Admin Console for our AgileBits team and some of the vaults we have:

1Password for Teams: AgileBits Admin Console

You can see that we have vaults for pretty much every team at AgileBits. This allows the social team to share Twitter, Facebook, and other logins with each other. We also have vaults for developers, directors, and even third-party external auditors.

Seeing how perfect these vaults were for keeping things organized, I decided to follow suit and create a Teare Family team to keep my personal life organized.

Before I could take this plunge, however, I had to ensure that the most important thing of all happened…

Keep The Wife Happy. Always.

I’d love to say that my dad imparted this sage advice to me on my wedding day, that I should always keep my wife happy. Let’s just assume that’s what he said and move on before I tell too many stories here1 :)

Sara is a creature of habit and as such wasn’t too excited when I told her I was switching everything over to use our new Teare Family account.

She was deathly afraid that 1Password for Teams would destroy her workflow and that all her 1Password data would get merged with the new vaults. Thankfully neither of these is true.

I started by showing Sara how my AgileBits team vaults integrated with 1Password. The newly styled vault selector in 1Password 6 for Mac was perfect for this:

1Password for Teams vault selector

Sara instantly loved this! Seeing that the vaults stayed separate was exactly what she wanted to see. Her next question was how to go about moving items from one vault to another, so I showed her how you simply use the Share menu to move items between vaults:

1Password for Teams: move item between vaults

She loved what she saw and immediately wanted to be part of this new Teare Family team. Now that she was excited, this was going to be a lot more fun :)

Starting a Family… Team!

Now that I had Sara on board, I was ready to set up the Teare Family. Having multiple teams within 1Password is very natural and works just the way you expect.

First, I created my team and used the Admin Console to invite Sara to join me. I also created a Parents vault so we could share information with each other and nobody else.

Here’s what the Teare Family vaults look like in our Admin Console:

1Password for Teams Teare Family Admin Console

Let’s go through these three vaults and what I’m planning to use them for:

• Your Vault: This screenshot is from my Admin Console so the Your Vault is my vault. It’s a confusing name and we plan to change it before the beta ends :)
  • Everyone: This vault and its contents are visible to everyone on the team. This is where we store Abby & Jack’s Minecraft and ROBLOX logins. When my parents join my team, I’m happy they will get access to this vault so Abby & Jack can log in while at Grandma’s house2.
  • Archive: I have trouble throwing stuff away as I’m aways afraid I’ll need it later. Instead of deleting items, I simply move them to the Archive vault.
  • Sara’s Mom: Someday Sara hopes to get all her mom’s information in here so she can have it handy when needed. As her executor, Sara will need it one day, but hopefully not for a very long time. Until then, having her insurance information, passport numbers and other relevant information is great when booking trips.
  • Dave’s Mom & Dad: Same as above, but this time for my mom & dad. I put their Wi-Fi password in here as well. My dad has been the master of crazy long random passwords for years!
  • Parents: This is where Sara and I store things that we want to share with each other and no one else.

You might be wondering where the other vaults are for Sara, Abby, and Jack.

Sara has her own vault that I do not have access to. This is perfect as I don’t need access to her Facebook login. And the best couples are the ones who are secure enough with each other to have their own secrets :)

As for Jack and Abby, try as I might, they are not ready to join our 1Password team yet. Once they are older I’ll invite them to the Teare Family team and they can move their items from the Everyone vault into their own personal vaults.

The great thing about 1Password for Teams is you can start small and grow as you need to. You simply invite additional people to your team whenever you want.

Quickly Find What You Need

With all these vaults I have and all the additional sets of information I added to 1Password, you might be wondering how I manage to find my information when I need it.

The last thing I want happening when I press ⌘\ to log in to my Facebook is to see everyone else’s Facebook logins. Also, I don’t want to have to switch vaults or remember where I stored a login when I need to find it.

Thankfully the solution is simple: 1Password 6 for Mac and iOS have a new feature called All Vaults. With All Vaults I can see all my information without needing to switch vaults.

For example, this is how things used to look when I searched for Twitter in 1Password mini:

Search All Vaults in 1Password 6

Notice the all-inclusive All Vaults icon in the screenshot there. It’s letting me know that I am searching across all my vaults.

To keep it limited to my vaults, I simply exclude the vaults I don’t use very often from All Vaults by going to 1Password’s Preferences.

1Password 6 for Mac: All Vaults preferences

I excluded the Everyone vault from the Teare Family as I rarely need to help Jack log into his ROBLOX. I also excluded the test vaults and many other AgileBits vaults as I rarely need to set up servers or configure new development machines.

Now when I use 1Password mini to trigger Go & Fill for a Login, I find only what I need. Here’s how things look when I search for Twitter after limiting All Vaults to the ones I use frequently:

Searching All Vaults in 1Password 6 for Mac

Now I can quickly log in to see what shenanigans the team is up to today. When I do want to see the other logins, I simply click on the All Vaults icon and switch to the vault I need.

Onward

I’m not done yet but I’m already feeling much better about starting the organization process. Now that there’s a good spot for everything I can easily add new items wherever they should be.

As for my existing thousands of items, I am moving them over slowly, one by one. To make this a regular part of each day, I hid my locally managed vaults from the All Vaults view. This way, whenever I need an account and can’t find it, I know to switch vaults, find the item I need, and then move it to the appropriate place before proceeding.

It will take time to get through all my items this way, but it’s an enjoyable process that leaves me feeling better at the end of the day, so I’m hoping this New Year’s resolution will stick.

Have yourself a wonderful and organized 2016! Be sure to create a team for your family and please let me know what’s on your mind in the comments below or by visiting the 1Password for Teams Discussion Forums. It’s always great hearing from you :)

Show 2 footnotes

1. Actually, my dad is pretty awesome so please don’t get the impression otherwise; it’s just wedding-day advice is not his forte. He’s got awesome funeral advice, however. The best advice I ever heard him give was, “Remember the good. Forget the bad.”; makes me tear up every time I hear it.
  2. I doubt Abby or Jack will ever outgrow Minecraft or ROBLOX. I know I never outgrew Zelda or Risk.
  1. Dave Teare

Kinda weird for me to leave the first comment on my own post, but I know a lot of people will want to know about Family pricing :)

1Password for Teams is priced at $4.99 per month for each user. This is a great price for companies but we understand this will be cost prohibitive to many families (especially larger ones!) so we wanted to do something special for families.

I had planned to announce this new Family Pricing within this blog post, but we’re not quite ready yet. I hope to have an announcement post in February.

Families are near and dear to our hearts at AgileBits so we created something awesome to show our love. I think you’re going to love the Family Pricing we’ve come up with. Our designers and word smiths need just a bit more time to finish cooking things for us before we announce it :)

• Bruce G.
      Bruce G. says:

Hi Dave. You read my mind. I would really love to use “Teams” for my family, but like you stated, the price was too high for a large family. Glad you’re on it and I’ll be looking forward to your post regarding family pricing.

Hi Bruce!

I’m glad my mind reading ability is strong today :)

Looking forward to being able to announce Family Pricing soon!

• Karen N.
      Karen N. says:

Thanks Dave and Sara! I LOVE 1Password!! I would love to have all my kids stuff in one place and NOT see my husband’s stuff! I am eager to see the family pricing. Maybe the Teams feature would be something my husband’s team could use too!
      Thanks again!
      Karen

Thank you for all your love, Karen! It means a lot to Sara and I and the whole team :)

For sure you can setup your family team so that you don’t need to see all your husband’s stuff. He will have his own vault that will only be visible to him, just like you’ll have one that is private to you.

As for your husband’s work, I believe 1Password for Teams will work great for him as well. We designed the teams features for teams of all shapes and sizes.

Take care and please let me know if there is anything else we can help with.

• Becky Waring
      Becky Waring says:

Hi Dave,

Love the idea of 1passwords for Teams but the cost of $60/year/person is also prohibitive for most of the small businesses I support in my Mac consulting business. For a small architect office with years old versions of AutoCAD and photoshop, due to the high cost of upgrades, $750 a year to give 1password to everyone is the same price as two new copies of AutoCAD LT per year, a MUCH higher priority for them. Same with the small accounting firm, the small legal office and many others. They all have no password manager now, and this would be a large new ongoing expense. At about $250-$300/year I could probably sell it, but at this pricing, I would be laughed at.

Hope you can work on the pricing for small biz, as well. Would love to help these companies get more secure.

Or perhaps some volume discount that I can pass on if I sign up multiple businesses?

Just a thought.

–Becky Waring

• Matt Richmond
      Matt Richmond says:

These are great updates, and I’ve been a very happy 1Password evangelist for the past few years now :) I’m so glad to hear about a family plan in the works! We’re a family of 8 and greatly appreciate companies that take family into consideration!

Thank you, Matt! I really appreciate your evangelism over the last 8 years. We wouldn’t be here without awesome customers like you :)

I’m stoked that you’re as excited about families are we are. I can’t wait to share the news we have cooking about families; I think you’re going to love it. But by all means, don’t wait to setup your family team as it’s completely free during the beta.

• Robert Alan Perlberg
      Robert Alan Perlberg says:

Can someone please tell me how my wife can share my 1Password on her IMAC, IPAD and IPhone? I’ll be happy to pay whatever it costs; just do not know how to do it. I have 1Password on my IMAC, IPAD and IPhone. Every time my wife needs to reference one of her passwords, I have to look it up in my vault. We want to share one vault. My email is raperlberg@me.com I am NOT very computer literate!!!

Hi Robert,

It sounds like 1Password for Teams would be right up your ally. I suggest you sign your family up here:

Then I’d recommend you check out this Getting Started guide here:

You can then add your family team to your iOS and Mac apps and your wife’s. You could then move your items you want to share with your wife to the Everyone vault, as described in my post above and in this document here:

That should get you well on your way. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers!

Thanks Eric! I’m glad you enjoyed it. I had fun writing it as well so I hope to do it again some time soon :)

Cheers!

• Jeffrey Atizado
      Jeffrey Atizado says:

I have been using Teams to manage passwords in my business. I think your licensing model for teams should incorporate number of seats, to allow for flexibility when you have staff turn over. Additionally, when staff members do leave, they leave with all your company passwords. There is no way to restrict access and wipe passwords from their account. It would be great to see this type of feature implemented in the future.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

It’s great to hear you’ve been using 1Password for Teams within your business!

I’m not sure I understand your question about adding flexibility to handle staff turnover. 1Password for Teams is priced per person per month, so if someone leaves, you simply suspend their account and then invite your new team member. You’ll have the same the same number of team members so your price won’t change. You basically pay for what you use, which I think is a good definition of “flexible”. If I’m misunderstanding, please let me know and I can try again :)

As for restricting access, you can suspend the team member and they will no longer be able to login or receive new data from your team. At this exact moment we do not wipe the data from their devices as it’s an easy mechanism to get you in trouble (i.e. is you were in airplane mode or without internet access for 24 hours, we’d have to delete your data). We do indeed have this code, however, and we will be making it available at some point. We just want to make sure we present it in a way that doesn’t allow you to hang yourself with it :)

I hope that helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

• Jeffrey Atizado
      Jeffrey Atizado says:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your personal response!

I’m sorry, I may have misunderstood how your licensing model works. What you described is exactly what I want! :) To suspend an account, can it be done by an Administrator? Or do you have to be logged in as the User? How do I invite my new staff member to the team? Is this a new feature in V6? Previously, I just shared my license key with a new staff member which they entered when they installed the app.

I understand the potential risk involved with wiping data. I suppose I am looking for some admin control, similar to what I get with my Dropbox business account that allows me to easily and safely protect my company passwords when a staff member leaves. If suspending a User restricts their ability to log in, this could be sufficient.

Overall, its been great to see your product evolve into both the personal and business space. Keep up the good work!

• Ken
      Ken says:

Regarding the use of teams and blocking a member when someone leaves, you would still want to change all shared passwords, even if they no longer would have access to the vault. Simply blocking access to the vault is not sufficient to ensure the password protected assets are safe. They could have copied those passwords into their own vault, or just onto a piece of paper (shudder!). The good news is that by using a shared vault, everyone still in the team would get the updated passwords as they are changed.

Hello again Jeffrey,

Thank you for the kind words! And no worries on misunderstanding the pricing model. I’m glad it’s flexible enough for your needs :)

Suspending users immediately prevents them from getting new updates and logging into to the web client. As for the native clients, we remove the vaults as soon as they connect to the server. The only loose-end is crafty users could rely on airplane mode to circumvent that last guard. We have the concept of a Lease Timeout ready to go from the technical side of things, but we need to make sure we present it in a good manner so users aren’t surprised.

As Ken points out the issue is rather moot anyway as you need to change all the passwords in any event. Ken is very wise and also pointed out how 1Password for Teams makes this easy as everyone who has access to the vault will automatically receive the new passwords. They won’t even know the password changed; it will just work :)

• brenty
      brenty says:

Ken: You’re absolutely right! We can help you block someone from accessing 1Password in the future, but we can’t stop them from accessing other services you’ve given them access to already; that part’s up to you:

Now, one thing we’d like to do is allow you to do an audit to see which information the person has actually accessed. That way it wouldn’t be necessary to reset a login they had never accessed, for example. Just wanted you to know it’s something we’re exploring. Cheers! :)

• Tom
      Tom says:

Thanks. I am looking forward to the pricing data. I would love to get my kids to use 1password.

Hey do you think you could add the ability to store a picture of the family health insurance cards and perhaps even the auto insurance cards. I can this being useful in the everyone vault.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I think your kids will love it! When the time comes and you sign them up, please let us know how it goes.

As for pictures of insurance and licenses, it’s a great idea. We have the ability to add documents on Mac today, and hope to bring this to iOS and the other platforms soon.

2. Dom S.
    Dom S. says:

Looks promising Dave. I’d like to see a family-friendly solution to cross-platform, mobile and desktop systems. iCloud/Dropbox/Wifi sync doesn’t work for everyone.
    Thanks!

Thanks Dom!

We’re well on our way to having 1Password for Teams enabled across all platforms, including mobile and desktop. Today we have full support for teams on Mac and iOS, and our Windows app is already in open beta testing. Android is still in closed beta testing but it is getting ever close to moving into public beta testing. Oh, and of course, the web client works everywhere, including Linux.

As for iCloud, Dropbox, and Wi-Fi, all of them are awesome solutions and work well for many people. As you say, however, they are not for everyone. Setting these up is not easy in general, and downright hard when it comes to multiple vaults. It’s especially challenging for less technical family members and teammates.

1Password for Teams was built specially to make things super easy in a team environment and so I think you’ll be very happy with what you find when you create your team. We’re still in beta testing and 100% free, so be sure to check it out and let us know what you think :)

Cheers!

• Dom S.
      Dom S. says:

Hit it on the head there Dave, and appreciate the great info. I’ll head over and start poking around!

One step at a time, Floyd :)

In time I suspect we’ll also do something for start ups, small business, non-profits, etc, but for now I want to get all my family ducks in a row. Time will tell.

Cheers!

3. jweitzman
    jweitzman says:

Just what I was looking for! When you finalize Family pricing, I hope it will consider those of us who already purchased multiple licenses for the family.

One technical question: when you copy an item into another vault, does it stay in sync with the original, so if you change a password or edit it, it is update in every vault? I would assume so, but if you could confirm that….

Awesome! I’m glad you’re excited about the new family features!

As for your existing purchase, we don’t have the details ironed out yet, but we’re going to have a way for you to receive a credit towards teams. It will likely be a feature you access from within the apps themselves, but as I say, we need to write it first before I can be sure :)

As for your technical question, when you copy an item from one vault to another, you end up with two independent items. It’s like duplicating a file in Finder. If you want to share a set of items with multiple people, you would setup a separate vault for that and share it that way. With this approach you’d only have a single copy of the item within that shared vault.

4. Ted Jardine
    Ted Jardine says:

Still waiting for multi-vault support on Android (sigh) so perhaps the family team version would work for us (but only if isn’t cost-prohibitive). This has been so frustrating that I’ve checked out alternatives; I keep coming back to 1Password, but it’s a big pain point.

Hi Ted,

Thank you for your continued support! I hear you on Android and we’re getting close. We’re not ready to make any announcements yet but I can give you a hint on what I mean by “close”: my Nexus 6P just arrived today and I’m installing a very special (internal) beta on it later tonight. We hope to make it public very soon! :)

BTW – the Android version we’re announcing will have support for 1Password for Teams so you and your family will be able to join the fun. It’s cold outside so be sure to add some “marshmallows” to your hot cocoa for full enjoyment ;)

Cheers!

• Ted Jardine
      Ted Jardine says:

Marshmallows are tasty IRL or virtually ;-)

Multi-vault support by itself is all we likely need so unless family pricing knocks my socks off, if Android has multi-vault I’ll be extremely happy just with that.

Hey Ted,

I think you’ll enjoy this post in our forums:

1Password 6 for Android

We just opened up the beta testing and are excited to hear what you think. Please join the beta and let us know in the forums how it goes.

5. Arjan van Kesteren
    Arjan van Kesteren says:

I’ll definitely consider Teams when Family pricing is announced and proves to be affordable enough. I am always trying to get my wife and kids to use 1PW , but so far they’ve proven…. hesitant. Maybe this will help, or at least make my life a little easier since my own vault is filled with their passwords.
    Will it work cross-platform? I recently built a Windows PC and I really do consider a proper password manager essential for computing nowadays, so after many years of using 1PW Mac and iOS only, and syncing through iCloud, I now have to rely on Dropbox so I throw Windows in the mix.

Hi Arjan,

I hear you about getting the whole family on board, it can be difficult. I know my family took forever to decide upon the right oven for the kitchen, so I guess it makes sense that it would take a bit of time to get everyone using the same software :)

1Password for Teams absolutely will be cross-platform. In fact, I should say it already is cross-platform as we already have official support on iOS and Mac, and we have beta support on Windows 10. Android is coming soon and of course there’s also the web application that works everywhere, including Linux.

Cheers!

6. Andrew Dorsett
    Andrew Dorsett says:

It would have been nice to have the pricing in the email advertisement that went out today…

I’m a diehard 1P user and my wife is even worse. I’ve actually had already started the “Family Team” the day I got my Beta invite, but I stopped once I saw the pricing. I didn’t want to get my wife hooked and then tell her it’d be ~$10/month for us when Dropbox integration with a shared folder works just fine.

So hopefully the pricing is much better…

Hi Andrew,

I agree with you completely. So much so that my original newsletter did indeed have the Family Pricing announcement within it. I had hoped to link to a new family page we’re working on but we simply didn’t finish it in time for the newsletter so I removed that section altogether from my email.

My plan is to share the good news in the next newsletter. Hopefully we have the code written by then. Sorry for the anxiety this has caused you; we’ll get it done soon :)

7. Cranberry
    Cranberry says:

I’m a little confused as to why I would need/want 1Password for Teams for my family. We have a Mac+Windows Family license and can already have separate vaults and shared vaults. It doesn’t seem like our setup is any different than what you’ve described above. Thanks for clarifying.

Hello,

Thanks for the great question! I’m happy to explain the differences between 1Password and 1Password for Teams :)

If you and your family are technical enough to setup shared Dropbox folders and configure your multiple vaults, then you’re A-OK and continue doing exactly what you’re doing. You’re rockstars :) With that said, let me tell you a few ways that 1Password for Teams could make your life even better.

First and foremost, when you get a new device, you simply need to add your teams account and all your vaults will automatically appear.

Adding an additional vault is a simple matter of a few clicks in the Admin Console and those team members that you grant access will receive the new vault automatically. There’s no need to share the password for the new vault separately.

You also get full access to 1Password on all platforms included with your subscription. That way if you switch from iOS to Android or Windows to Mac, there’s no need to worry about licenses. These platforms also include the full featured web app that allows you to access your data anywhere you might be.

Then there’s the ability to recover locked out accounts (only special admins can do this), restore previous versions of items, and in general the features are designed to be more accessible to more people.

Whew! That’s a lot of typing there. I need to rest now :) I hope I answered your question but by all means, if you have any further questions, please let me know. My fingers should be rested up by time you reply ;)

Hi Robert,

I replied to your other comment above. Please review my response and go from there.

Thanks!

8. dyoung522
    dyoung522 says:

I’ll go ahead and jump on the bandwagon here… I’ve been using 1password forever (or so it seems) and couldn’t live without it. I, too, am really looking forward to being able to use Teams for my family.

Thanks for such a terrific product!

Thank you so much!

There’s plenty of room on our bandwagon so jump right on and party with us. Bring your tambourine :)

9. Thomas Geist
    Thomas Geist says:

Dave, the All Vaults option is awesome – I love it!
    I have a little idea that could help figuring out what vault a login comes from in the 1Password browser plug-in.

Because with shared vaults it might happen that people do not name logins in a way that it’s discernible and the plug-in might show

Twitter
    Twitter
    Twitter

Of course one can roll over a login and the pop-up will show what vault it’s from. But aren’t we all lazy?

Therefore a little mark in front or after each login that shows what vault it’s from would be helpful. Could just be a colored dot or similar.

• jweitzman
      jweitzman says:

+1 for the vault indicator! This is a great idea. I can’t find anywhere to choose the color circle for an existing vault (as you can for new vaults) so that would be a complementary feature.

Thanks Thomas! I’m stoked to hear you love All Vaults as much as I do. It’s probably my #1 favourite feature in version 6 of 1Password for Mac.

As for a vault indicator, I agree with you that would be a nice addition. We were thinking colours might work and had a lot of it implemented already, but honestly, it didn’t work out as well as we expected. I hope we can find a way to make this nice and easy in the future.