Introducing 1Password for Families

I have some exciting news to share with you about families.

Last month I wrote about how I use 1Password for Teams with my family and the response was amazing. Many of you were excited to sign up your family and asked if we’d have special pricing available.

Families are near and dear to our hearts, so we wanted to find a way to make 1Password affordable and accessible for all families everywhere.

Today, I’m happy to announce that we succeeded! We’ve created a special plan with an amazing price just for families, and we went even further by making it easier than ever for families to use 1Password.

Protect your family for $5 a month

family-5-5

1Password for Families builds on our new Teams infrastructure to give you everything you need to protect your loved ones. And it’s only $5 a month for your family of 5.

It’s never been easier to share 1Password with your whole family. There’s no sync service to set up, vaults appear automatically, and there’s an Admin Console where you can invite people and manage sharing with your family.

Every family member gets their own copy of 1Password, and their own personal space to store private information. With this, you can give them the tools they need to stay safe without taking away their independence.

Best of all, 1Password for Families comes with all the 1Password apps at no extra charge. You can easily switch between Mac, iOS, and Android without worrying about licenses (Windows coming soon).

And guess what? You even get the first month free, so sign up now:

A Special Launch Special!

1Password for Families is a subscription service and costs $5 a month for up to 5 family members. We like to call it our $5 for 5 plan :)

We know lots of you are already using 1Password today, so we want to make it easy for you to get started. We have a special deal for you if you sign up before Spring springs.

If you create an account before March 21st April 14th, you will get the following early-adopter perks:

• $10 added to your account (an extra 2 months free)
  • Twice the amount of secure storage for your documents (that’s 2 GB)
  • The ability to invite two more family members for free (a total of 7 family members!)

Best of all, these last two perks are permanent additions to your account. And hurry, because the Spring equinox will be here before you know it!

app

Why 1Password for Families?

Why should you sign up for 1Password for Families when you already have 1Password? The biggest reason is that it makes life so much easier.

Here are a few of the great things 1Password for Families can do:

• It would be great if I didn’t have to purchase and manage licenses for everyone in my family.
  • When I change the Netflix password, it would be awesome if everyone in my family got it automatically in a secure fashion.
  • A simpler setup would help my uncle use 1Password as he’s not very technical and has trouble setting up sync.

1Password for Families makes all these things easy. I simply send my family an email to invite them. Sync is built in and just works. And my whole family can use 1Password on a single subscription.

And it’s not just about making life simpler. With Families, I can worry less. As a husband and father of two, here are some of the things I used to lose sleep over:

• What if I share passwords with my family and they delete them by accident?
  • What if I set up my 7-year-old son on 1Password and he forgets his Master Password?
  • If something happens to me, how do I make sure Sara and my family have access to what they need?
  • My parents are getting older and I’m the executor of their estate. Will I have access to their accounts when the time comes?

Now I can start getting on top of these worries before they become real. 1Password for Families allows me to reset accounts, securely share items and documents, and delegate access to the people who need it.

For more details and to sign up your family, jump on over to our brand new Family page:

I hope your family loves 1Password for Families as much as mine. If you have any questions, please email us at families@1password.com or leave a comment below.

dave

Cheers!

Dave Teare – Founder of AgileBits

1. Dave Teare

One thing I didn’t get a chance to address in my post is what happens to existing families that are using 1Password for Teams accounts. The short answer is you will be able to convert your existing team into a Family team. The longer answer is while you will be able to do that, you can’t do it just yet as we haven’t added that ability yet :)

I will be sending out an announcement email to all teams when it is possible to switch over, and I’ll have a blog post announcing it as well. Stay tuned! :)

• David
      David says:

Dave,

Thanks for the update concerning the migration path for families using 1Password for Teams! Will that be available in time to receive the early-adopter perks?

Ah! Thanks for that question, David. I was totally thinking about that as I wrote my reply, but I forgot to type it :)

Yes, absolutely, existing teams that migrate over to use the Family plan will get the additional early-adopter perks added to their account.

Thanks again for asking!

Hi James,

In 1Password for Teams we have some additional features like fine-grained access control that are too high-powered for Families.

Other differences include Teams being priced per-user as this is much more flexible for companies, and more advanced management capabilities plus custom groups. Teams will also have more storage, more days of item history, and more guests.

As the services grow they will become more and more differentiated, and we have plans for some features specifically intended for families that I look forward to sharing in the future.

I hope that helps,

Hi Ari!

Thank you so much for the kind words! It’s a lot easier making 1Password awesome when we have awesome customers like you :)

I don’t have an ETA on when you’ll be able to switch your Team over into a Family, but we’ll definitely make sure this is possible in the future and we’ll make sure you get the early adopter perks as well.

I’ll be sending out an announcement to all existing teams once this is possible, along with instructions.

2. Joseph Duffy
    Joseph Duffy says:

I think my previous comment got eaten by the system, but here’s a shorter version to save me typing it all out again:

I love the new features, especially Dropbox/iCloud-less sync and 1Password on the web (?). Are there plans for a “1Password for single people” service that will allow for a single account to have these features, without paying for 4 (in this case 6!) extra accounts that won’t be used?

• Mitch
      Mitch says:

1Password for Single People! I’m having fun just imaging the marketing for that. :)

Anyway, why not go ahead and sign up? Our new service works great for families of one. :) And you’ll have lots of room to grow. We are really focused on the sharing features for now, but we do know that lots of people are attracted to the other great capabilities of 1Password for Families. We’re always looking for ways to make you happy, so be sure to keep an eye out on our blog and newsletter.

Hello DWolf,

I’m so happy you asked this question! It is something I wanted to discuss in the post but I couldn’t fit it in. So first things first, from an AgileBits perspective, I can’t reset anything for you or your family or any other families. We have never been able to reset your Master Password and in 1Password Families, we still can’t.

What is different in 1Password Families (and 1Password for Teams for that matter), is Family “admins” can recover account access for their family members.

So if we switch context to me and my family, I am able to restore access to Jack’s, Abby’s, or Sara’s accounts if any of them are unable to access their account. It’s pretty cool because I can choose to allow specific family members to be able to do the exact same thing for me. I did this for Sara, so I now have a great backup plan for emergencies.

You can learn more about how to recover an account here:

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you’d like to discuss this further and I’d be happy to continue the conversation :)

3. Edgar Sanchez
    Edgar Sanchez says:

How does 1Password for Families work with the Windows (desktop) application? It doesn’t support searching through multiple vaults, which is a major PITA. I’d like for this to be a standard feature before signing up for a subscription plan.

Great job on this plan btw, it’s absolutely perfect.

Hello Edgar!

At this exact moment, 1Password for Families supports Windows 10 and Windows 10 only. You can download this specifici version from the Microsoft store:

We are working on bring support for 1Password Families to previous versions of Windows as well as browser extensions and we’ll be announcing them on this blog when they are ready.

Oh, and thank you so much for the kind words! “Absolutely perfect” is what we were hoping for :)

Cheers!

4. Greg
    Greg says:

I would really like to get my parents on this as they both need some help keeping track of their passwords, but the standalone app has always been a hassle for my mom. I would also like for them to have access to my bank account information should anything happen to me. The problem is that I don’t want them to have this access all the time. Is there some possibility of implementing a dead-man’s switch on certain shared items, like if it doesn’t detect activity from me in X amount of days?

Hello Greg,

This is an excellent question; thank you for asking!

Now let’s start by not talking about a “dead-man’s” switch, and instead think of it as a “hey I’ve been on vacation for two months and my mom needs to pay the bills so my cat doesn’t freeze” switch instead, ok? :)

Alrighty then, now that we have the naming down pat, let’s talk about this feature. I actually think this type of thing would work quite well in 1Password and it’s something I’ve been actively talking to our security gurus about. We need to make sure we can add it in a truly secure and private fashion, and thankfully they have some ideas that could work.

I’m not sure when we’ll make this available but it’s something I’m excited to see for myself so with any luck it won’t be too long :)

5. James
    James says:

I really like the thought of this and I am trialling 1Password for teams (knowing there would be a family plan on it’s way), but I am bemused by the fact that having paid for 1Password for Mac and iOS (as have all my family members that will use the family plan) I can now get them again for “free” ;-)

Hi James!

That is a bemusing thought indeed :)

I see where you are coming from. While you get to continue to use the 1Password you already know and love with or without Families, with Families you get a lot of additional features that you will also be able to use. So I wouldn’t say it’s an apples to oranges comparison, but rather it’s like comparing apple pies to apple crisps ;)

With that said, you’re an awesome customer and you’re one of the reasons we added the early-adopter special. Originally I planned on not having this special and instead allowing you to add your existing license and receive your discount. This ended up requiring a lot of work and would have chewed up a lot of our time.

In the end we decided to invest that time into continuing to improve 1Password and kept things simple by making the special available to everyone who signs up before March 21st. At the end of the day, we want to make sure we give some extra love to those who helped get us here. We wouldn’t be here without awesome customers like you. <3

6. Lee
    Lee says:

Does Teams have the same level of ease-of-use? I have a mixture of family and a team that I’d like to get involved in 1Password, but I don’t want it to be much/any work for any of them if I can help it. So I love the idea of just paying $5/mo to cover two teammates and three family members, but I’m not sure I can segment things that way…

Hi Lee,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

The Family plan isn’t meant to be used for working with colleagues; you’ll want to setup a 1Password for Teams account for that. The good news is you can have both a Family “team” and a work team and add them both.

This is what I do actually, and I wrote about how I set things up in this article:

You can see how naturally the multiple teams fit within the Vault Switcher and how nicely they work with the All Vaults view.

As for ease-of-use, we have done our best to simplify 1Password Families as much as possible. In time we’ll also be changing the interface to give a more family feel as well, which will also help the usability for family members.

I hope that helps. Take care,

• Lee
      Lee says:

Hi Dave –

Thanks for another thoughtful reply.

I was asking about the ease-of-use of Teams in comparison to Family (especially whatever the method is of getting these family/team members to have the apps/extensions, synced up with whatever information I’m sharing with them automagically).

If I do have to use Teams for both my work and my family, I’d hope it works as seamlessly as the new Family plan, at least (or moreso, given how much more expensive it is).

Yeah? Thanks!

Thanks for getting back to me Lee!

In many ways Teams is just as easy to use as Families. The main way in which Teams is different is Admins have more control over their teams, more storage, more guests, and other features. This requires Admins to learn more if they want to use all the bells and whistles, but from a user’s point of view, the experience is the same.

I think you’ll be happy with what you find. In any event, please reach out and let us know how it turns out. We love to hear the good and the bad so we know where we’re doing well and where we need to improve :)

7. OPC
    OPC says:

The Family links take me to the Team page link – is that correct? Although it says Team it is the correct link to set up a family plan?

Hello OPC, and thank you for asking about this and I’m sorry for the confusion.

Just to be 100% clear, the new Families site can be found here:

When you click on the Sign up for Free button, you will be taken to https://start.1password.com/signup/team, which as you say looks and acts like Teams rather than Families.

This is A-OK and is working fine. We need to update that page to use the appropriate family wording instead of teams. Just so you understand why this teams text exists in the first place, 1Password Families is built upon the technology we introduced with 1Password for Teams. The main difference is we made it much more affordable with features designed for families.

As the services grow they will be more differentiated, with new features specifically intended for families and appropriate wording for each plan.

I hope this helps.

8. Mark
    Mark says:

Hi,

Saw the email, signed up instantly! Now I don’t have to convincen family members to buy the software (biggest hurdle), as I can give them it for free :D

Question, how do I move/migrate my current 1Password vaults into Family?

9. Jacob
    Jacob says:

When signing up for the Family plan, it keeps taking me to 1Password for teams. Is this the same thing? As a current 1Password user, I’d love to move my family onto 1Password for Teams; the biggest incentive to do that now is the early-adopter perks (especially the 7-for-the-price-of-5 deal). Does making a 1Password for Teams using the Family Sign Up link give me a family account with those perks, or did something go wrong?

Hello Jacob,

No no, you did nothing wrong. You’re absolutely in the right place!

1Password Families builds on the same technology we use for 1Password Teams and we need to update the language. Over the next couple weeks things should start to look more “family friendly.” Thanks for your patience with us as we put together all the new furniture.

I hope that helps,

• Jeffrey Goldberg
      Jeffrey Goldberg says:

Hi Donald!

We run the servers that 1Password for Families data is stored. 1Password gives you true end-to-end encryption, and we’ve even set this up so that we have no way of acquiring your encryption keys or Master Password. We’ve even added a high entropy secret (your Account Key) into the key derivation process, so there is no possibility of password cracking against data we store.

-j (Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts)

10. Jim
    Jim says:

Please, please tell me that 1Password won’t end up being a subscription-only service at some point in the future! When I hear ‘subscription’, I immediately think of that certain design company that wants to force everyone to use their ‘creative cloud’ instead of perpetual licenses. The mention of subscriptions bothers me greatly. How is Team/Families different than syncing to iCloud or DropBox anyway? …

• Jeffrey Goldberg
      Jeffrey Goldberg says:

Hi Jim,

I understand your thinking on this, we’ve got no plans to switch to subscription only. But we never say “never” (except for when we do). So if we do end up going down that road, I promise you that there will never be any lock-in. Your data is yours, not ours. That is fundamental.

-j (Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts)

Hi Jim,

Thank you for asking this question!

We want to allow people to choose what works best for them. A lot of people prefer the convenience of a subscription and not needing to worry about upgrades or managing licenses. Other people (and I believe you fall into this camp) prefer purchasing once and taking care of the licenses themselves.

We’re happy that we’re able to offer both options so you can choose what works best for you.

As for what’s different between Teams and Families and other sync services, there’s a lot of differences because 1Password Families is not simply a sync service. With Families you can easily invite team members with a simple email, you can manage your entire team from a central Admin Console, setting up shared vaults is super easy, you can restore team member’s access if they get locked out, and as I mentioned earlier, you and your team members don’t need to worry about licenses.

There’s a lot to love about Teams and Families, and I invite you to signup and try the free trial and see if these features appeal to you, but you can always stick with the self managed version if you prefer. Both are the 1Password you already know and love, so there’s no need to worry :)

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for raising this very important point.

We have localized the 1Password apps on Mac, iOS, Android, and Windows. We absolutely want to do the same for the web app in the future. We just need more time :)

11. Adam
    Adam says:

I want to second the request about maintaining a “pay once for the app, pay periodically for the upgrades you want” business model as opposed to (or perhaps in addition to) a subscription model, certainly for the versions of 1Password I have paid for (on both the Mac OS and iOS). 1Password for Families sounds great, and I’d love to take advantage of it, but I’m not interested in paying for a software application month after month after month ad infinitum.

Hi Adam,

Thank you for adding your vote for maintaining the “pay once for the app, pay periodically for the upgrades you want” business model. We’re happy that we’re able to provide both the original and new subscription models so you can choose the one that works best for you.

With that said, please be aware that the features described in this post depend upon using our servers, which have ongoing hosting costs. This means that we cannot have a one-time-purchase for these so to get access to the Family specific features you will need to subscribe to 1Password Families.

I hope that helps,

• Jeff
      Jeff says:

Please maintain the standalone app pricing model too. Just a little while before you came out with teams and Family I had purchased iOS, Mac, and Windows… Ugh! I could have gotten them for free now.

I like the concept of family 1password, but now I’ve sunk some money into the standalones. I don’t really want add more spend at this point. I’m evaluating, but might not stick with it due to cost.

Love the product. Don’t abandon us. Please.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for chiming in and letting us know how important standalone licenses are to you. We will be happy to keep selling them as long as awesome users like you keep buying them :)

As for “abandoning” you, no no, this is not going to happen. 1Password Families builds upon 1Password so no matter how successful Families is we will continue to improve 1Password.

1Password is still the app we all know and love. 1Password Families is simply enabling us to add additional features that weren’t possible without a subscription.

Thanks again for your love of 1Password! We wouldn’t be here without great customers like you :)

12. Sam
    Sam says:

I’m trying to set up a second recovery account, and it does not seem possible to use the groups that are suggested in the recovery documentation. I see the choices in the 1password for teams I use, but in this new 1password for families, there does not appear to be that option.

Hello Sam,

I’m sorry for the confusion. We made some last minute changes to the Admin Console and they haven’t been updated in the documentation yet.

In Families, all owners have the ability to recover accounts. You can add someone as an owner by going to their profile page and clicking the Add to Owners button.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Hey Doug,

I’m glad you asked this question :)

Your 1Password Families account can be used with anyone in your family, regardless of where they live. I want my parents and Sara’s mom to join my family account, so I had to make sure that living in the same household was NOT a requirement :)

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I’ll be happy to help.

Cheers!

13. jweitzman
    jweitzman says:

When you posted about how you were using Teams for your family, in the comments you noted that you expected to offer some sort of credit for people who had purchased multiple copies of 1Password for Mac (or Windows) and 1Password for their phones. I didn’t see any mention of that in the announcement.

Hello jweitzman,

You’re right, I was hoping to have an announcement specific to existing license holders. I had underestimated how much work this would be as we’d need to make it possible to do from every platform since we don’t have access to customer information from the other stores.

In the end we decided to invest that time into continuing to improve 1Password so we decided to simply make the special available to everyone who signs up before March 21st. At the end of the day, we want to make sure we give some extra love to those who helped get us here. We wouldn’t be here without awesome customers like you. <3

Hi William,

We are absolutely a Canadian company and proud to be so! With that said, the majority of our expenses are in US Dollars so all prices on our website and in blog posts are USD.

I hope that helps,

14. J
    J says:

Does this mean you’re abandoning Shared Vaults? (since Windows 1Password doesn’t support them and 1Password on Android still doesn’t either)

Hi J,

No, I wouldn’t say we’re abandoning Shared Vaults. They are still a great solution for many users. With that said, you’re right, Android doesn’t support them and Windows has limited support for switching between vaults. In many ways 1Password Families leap frogs the old approach to Shared Vaults so I expect most users will prefer the new approach.

I hope this helps. Take care,