Introducing 1Password for Families

I have some exciting news to share with you about families.

Last month I wrote about how I use 1Password for Teams with my family and the response was amazing. Many of you were excited to sign up your family and asked if we’d have special pricing available.

Families are near and dear to our hearts, so we wanted to find a way to make 1Password affordable and accessible for all families everywhere.

Today, I’m happy to announce that we succeeded! We’ve created a special plan with an amazing price just for families, and we went even further by making it easier than ever for families to use 1Password.

Protect your family for $5 a month

family-5-5

1Password for Families builds on our new Teams infrastructure to give you everything you need to protect your loved ones. And it’s only $5 a month for your family of 5.

It’s never been easier to share 1Password with your whole family. There’s no sync service to set up, vaults appear automatically, and there’s an Admin Console where you can invite people and manage sharing with your family.

Every family member gets their own copy of 1Password, and their own personal space to store private information. With this, you can give them the tools they need to stay safe without taking away their independence.

Best of all, 1Password for Families comes with all the 1Password apps at no extra charge. You can easily switch between Mac, iOS, and Android without worrying about licenses (Windows coming soon).

And guess what? You even get the first month free, so sign up now:

A Special Launch Special!

1Password for Families is a subscription service and costs $5 a month for up to 5 family members. We like to call it our $5 for 5 plan :)

We know lots of you are already using 1Password today, so we want to make it easy for you to get started. We have a special deal for you if you sign up before Spring springs.

If you create an account before March 21st April 14th, you will get the following early-adopter perks:

• $10 added to your account (an extra 2 months free)
  • Twice the amount of secure storage for your documents (that’s 2 GB)
  • The ability to invite two more family members for free (a total of 7 family members!)

Best of all, these last two perks are permanent additions to your account. And hurry, because the Spring equinox will be here before you know it!

app

Why 1Password for Families?

Why should you sign up for 1Password for Families when you already have 1Password? The biggest reason is that it makes life so much easier.

Here are a few of the great things 1Password for Families can do:

• It would be great if I didn’t have to purchase and manage licenses for everyone in my family.
  • When I change the Netflix password, it would be awesome if everyone in my family got it automatically in a secure fashion.
  • A simpler setup would help my uncle use 1Password as he’s not very technical and has trouble setting up sync.

1Password for Families makes all these things easy. I simply send my family an email to invite them. Sync is built in and just works. And my whole family can use 1Password on a single subscription.

And it’s not just about making life simpler. With Families, I can worry less. As a husband and father of two, here are some of the things I used to lose sleep over:

• What if I share passwords with my family and they delete them by accident?
  • What if I set up my 7-year-old son on 1Password and he forgets his Master Password?
  • If something happens to me, how do I make sure Sara and my family have access to what they need?
  • My parents are getting older and I’m the executor of their estate. Will I have access to their accounts when the time comes?

Now I can start getting on top of these worries before they become real. 1Password for Families allows me to reset accounts, securely share items and documents, and delegate access to the people who need it.

For more details and to sign up your family, jump on over to our brand new Family page:

I hope your family loves 1Password for Families as much as mine. If you have any questions, please email us at families@1password.com or leave a comment below.

dave

Cheers!

Dave Teare – Founder of AgileBits

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »

Hi Jay,

We are using Stripe for our payment processing so we’ll accept every credit card that they support: Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.

I hope that helps.

Hi Larry,

Windows is important to us and development is well underway for older versions of Windows as well as the browser extension. We do have a Windows 10 app available in the Microsoft Store that supports Teams and Families already:

We just need more time to finish all the bells and whistles on the older Windows platforms :)

Cheers!

1. Larry Rosenman
    Larry Rosenman says:

And by that I mean BROWSER support. Without that, and Windows 7 support (for my wife who refuses to move to 10), I can NOT use it.

Understood Larry, loud and clear :)

We’re still working on browser support within Windows. It’s high on our list and I hope to have something to announce soonishly.

• Larry Rosenman
      Larry Rosenman says:

Thanks, Dave. I am wondering if there is any way I could help out? I’ve been a SW guy for >30 years, and test other products for other folks. I’d love to help out if I could.

Hey Larry,

That’s very kind of you to ask! The best way to help would be to join our beta teams and contribute feedback there. Now that’s a little hard given that the specific thing you’re looking for isn’t even in beta yet, but our beta testers will be the first ones to know when it becomes available.

You can also join us in our beta forums. Here’s the Windows Desktop beta forum:

Thanks again! I look forward to seeing you in the forums :)

2. Don MacAskill
    Don MacAskill says:

Wow, I’m so excited about this! We already use 1Password Vaults for our family, synced via Dropbox. One giant problem right out of the gate, though: Account Keys.

The problem is that my 8- and 10-year-olds use 1Password religiously for all their logins, including the ones they use at school on their Chromebooks. Currently, they use the Dropbox HTML pages for this, and while it’s not perfect, it works quite well.

But they won’t have, nor can they remember, their Account Keys at school.

Is there an option to make that optional for certain logins so only their email address and password would be required for a web login?

• Jeffrey Goldberg
      Jeffrey Goldberg says:

Excellent question, Don.

It is great that you and your family are already using 1Password.

At the moment we do not have the capability of turning off the Account Key requirement for some accounts. (And of course, it would have to be something only in your power, not ours). And as you correctly note the Account Keys are not designed to be remembered (even for people with the excellent memory of an eight or ten year old).

Now the security equivalent of not having an account key would be to have the account key in public. So perhaps there is a website or location that you could put their account keys, which they could then retrieve and copy/paste from school. I know that that sounds scary, but in all practical senses, that is the equivalent of not having an account key.

Perhaps a better alternative would be to put their account keys on a USB device that they can plug into their school computers (if this is allowed).

Best wishes to you and your family

-j (Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts)

3. cabbey
    cabbey says:

Any plans to make devices in my list of authorized devices either editable or at least nameable? I fear it’s going to become kinda useless when it just says “Chrome on Mac OS X El Capitan” over and over and over.

• Jeffrey Goldberg
      Jeffrey Goldberg says:

Hi cabbey! Believe me when I say that you aren’t the only one wishing for more flexible naming and listing of the browser-based authorized devices. I’ve got two or three of these for each of my computers.

I can’t make any promises about what such a feature will look like, nor when it might occur. But we are aware of this.

Still, thank you for mentioning it! In this particular case it wasn’t necessary, but there is no way for anyone to know before hand. So if you see something, say something!

-j

4. Mark
    Mark says:

The family plan has a lot of secure storage. At the same time you haven’t updated Knox substantively in years, and now the application is not even on your home page. As someone who owns licenses for 1Password on OS X, iOS, and also Knox licenses, I am curious about the future of secure storage solutions. Is this the future that you envision for secure storage, and if so will there be an option to purchase additional space?

I think that my current Knox Vaults are ~20 GB. At the same time, I’m reluctant to buy a subscription when the advantage seems incremental over what I have now. I do worry about my family having access to my information in a catastrophic event, so more control for that situation (as referred to above) would be a welcome feature for either the standalone, or more likely for the Families product.

You mentioned oranges, apples, apple pie, and apple crisp. Sorry if this further muddies the orchard!!

Hello Mark,

Ah, good ol’ Knox. I’m glad you asked as he absolutely belongs within this orchard :)

I really like Knox and wish we had more time to spend on him. It’s a really nice app and makes securing folders super simple. I’ve actually been trying to organize a team to work on the next major version for quite some time now, but in the end the team and I keep getting pulled into 1Password as it’s been so successful – this is a good problem to have! :)

At some point in time I want to revisit Knox and see what we can do there. In the interim I didn’t feel right selling it on our store when we weren’t actively working on it so we removed it entirely.

Thanks again for the great question, and thank you for supporting us over all these years!

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for the question!

The 1 GB limit is per family account, not per family member. Those who sign up before March 21st will have that limit doubled to 2 GB.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.

5. Jeff Richardson
    Jeff Richardson says:

Now that you are storing passwords on your server for 1Password Families, doesn’t that mean that there is a central point of attack for a hacker to try to get the data of a large number of 1Password users? I’m thinking of what happened to LastPass in 2015 when that company was hacked. Are you doing something differently from what LastPass does that makes it more secure, or is your approach similar? Thanks for clarifying.

-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for asking this very important question. We’ve done a lot of things differently to keep your data incredibly safe, and quite frankly, to protect ourselves as well.

One great example of this is how we don’t just rely on your Master Password for encryption but also add the Account Key. Your Master Password is used to encrypt all your data for end-to-end (while in transit and at rest), and we do a lot of things to strengthen your Master Password, but in the end there is no way for us to guarantee that you have picked a good Master Password.

We therefore require that every user have an Account Key that is generated locally on your device when you signup. This is critically important for two reasons:

1. Since it is generated, it is very strong and we need not worry about user’s picking a weak one. Humans are pretty bad at picking data at random :)
      2. Since it is generated locally and never leaves your device, we have no idea what it is.

These points together make our database a much less attractive target for the bad guys. Even if they managed to break through our multiple layers of defences, they wouldn’t be able to decrypt any of the information even if an incredibly weak password was used.

Of course I don’t recommend using a weak password, but I wanted to use that in my example as it shows how incredibly powerful the Account Key is.

We wrote a lot about our defences and how we protect your data on our security page and I invite you to take a look:

And be sure to check out the White Paper as well as it is jam packed with great information that I think you will find fascinating:

I hope that gives you a glimpse into how we do things differently. I’m quite proud of what the team has created and I’d love to talk more about this if you have any further questions :)

• Jeffrey Goldberg
      Jeffrey Goldberg says:

You are absolutely correct that now that we are storing user data we face different sorts of threats than we otherwise would. One of the reasons that we didn’t offer something like 1Password Families before now is that we wanted to make sure that we are ready for this.

One of the most important things we have done develop Two-Secret Key Derivation. Because your Account Key along with your Master Password are both part of the key derivation process, someone who captures your data from our systems would not be able to launch a password cracking attack. The Account Key add more than 128 bits of entropy, and so it is completely unfeasible for someone without your Account Key to try to make guesses about your Master Password.

This, I believe, sets us apart from most other systems that would store your encrypted data. In those cases, if your encrypted data stolen the attacker can run automated password guessers. Sure by now everyone is using something like PBKDF2 (something we started doing in 2008 I believe), but we wanted to go further with Families. And so we added Account Keys into the mix.

There are other things that we’ve done to ensure that your data remains safe even if our servers become compromised. During login to our servers, you never transmit a secret or even a (crackable) hash of a secret. This way even an attacker who takes over our login process can’t learn anything that would help them decrypt your data.

Another Jeff, Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts.

6. Lew
    Lew says:

I do a few questions, but I am very excited about this and am a big fan!

First is it possible to be an admin of a family, but not be counted as a member? There are two sides to every family and I would likely be the point person for both families, but only in one family.

Second can you manage families only from the web? Or is it possible to manage things from the client?

Hello Lew,

Thank you for taking the time to ask us your questions. I’m always happy to talk about this stuff :)

Your first question puzzles me a bit so I might be misunderstanding. Let me answer what I think you are asking, and if I’m wrong, you can guide me to what you were looking for. Deal? :)

It sounds like you want to be a full member of your family, but on your wife’s side of the family you want to simply help them set things up and then leave them be. This is an interesting use case and quite frankly not one that I’ve thought much about before this point.

My first instinct is to say you could simply be part of both families and hide their Vaults from your view, or simply not even bother adding their family account. Assuming their family had 4 or less members, you’d be able to be part of their family for free. And of course, if they created their account before March 21st, they would be able to have two more family members without needing to pay anything extra for you to be onboard.

As for your second question, you use the web app to manage your families and any extended families you want to manage. You can use the Admin Console to invite people, create vaults, and configure sharing.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help with, and whether or not I understood your first question correctly :)

7. David Lightfoot
    David Lightfoot says:

Hi Dave, I recently set up a 1password teams account (after your teams blog post) but really only want it for my family. Do I need to reset up a new families account (and reinvade my wife and kids) or will the existing teams account port over to family.
    I also have multiple licences for my family on OS X, IOS, and windows so don’t want to be paying a lot more.
    Finally what about the option to pay in AuD or CaD as the USD pricing is very steep with the strong USD (Good for you but not for your loyal customers ;) )
    Thanks

• Jeffrey Goldberg
      Jeffrey Goldberg says:

No worries David. I, too, am waiting to move my “Team” to a “Family”.

We’d really like to keep pricing simple. But if the pummeling of the CAD turns out to be a long term thing (I certainly hope it won’t), I’m sure we will take another look. Also, a lot of our expenses are in USD.

Cheers,

-j

8. Bill Watson
    Bill Watson says:

G’day,
    I have already invested in family versions of Mac and Windows plus iOS/Android to cover myself and the family. Is there any consideration of this investment in the subscription?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for your support! We wouldn’t be here without awesome paying customers like yourself. Seriously, we invested a ton of time and money into building 1Password Families and we wouldn’t have been able to without you.

You’re one of the reasons we launched with an early-adopter special. The special is designed to help you make the switch and thank you for your investment in 1Password. It gives you a permanent storage increase for documents (up to 2 GB), two free extra team members (up to 7) and $10 in your account (equivalent to additional 2 months free).

Originally we planned on not having an early adopter special, and instead allowing you to add your existing license and receive your discount. This ended up requiring a lot of work and would have chewed up a lot of our time.

In the end we decided to invest that time into continuing to improve 1Password and kept things simple by making the early adopter special available to everyone who signs up before March 21st. At the end of the day, we want to make sure we give some extra love to those who helped get us here. We really wouldn’t be here without awesome customers like you. <3

9. Mike
    Mike says:

Good morning Dave,

First of all let me say I think 1Password is the best piece of software I’ve ever bought. Up until now I’ve been working with shared vaults for my wife and kids, synchronizing them via Dropbox. Just last week I signed in for 1Password for teams to see if this would work even better for my family. Now I’ve seen you’ve introduced 1Password for families which might even be a better choice for my family. I would like to know if it is better to sign up again for 1Password for families or wait until you have created the possibility to switch my 1Password for teams to 1Password for families?

Hi Mike,

I love your first statement so very very much! Let’s just talk about 1Password being the best piece of software you’ve ever bought for a while longer, shall we? It’s music to my ears and I could listen to it for a few hours :)

… wait for it. I’m still singing here. take it slow …

Ok, time to move on and answer your question :)

You are perfectly fine exactly the way you are. The team you created last week will be able to be converted over into a Family. We haven’t implemented this yet but it is something we absolutely want to do, and it should be available relatively soon.

Once available, I will be sending out an announcement email to all teams letting them know that they can convert to a family and explain how to do so.

I hope that helps. And be sure to keep on singing ;)

10. Dirk Barchmann
    Dirk Barchmann says:

Really like the new family option and signed up immediately. Although I purchased all my 1Password apps and use it on a one person basis I see the potential and would like to get my family on board. The pricing is great and would love to support you guys in the future. I want to say thank you and would like to point out some flaws I stumbled upon

First of all: Please update the Windows app as soon as possible to make it work for teams. Although I work on Mac and iOS privately, I have a Windows machine at work and my family members use Windows machines as well (not Windows10)
    Internationalization is a big deal. Most of my family don’t speak english, so it’s hard for them to use the app. If I can help out with german translation, let me know.
    It would be great if you could give some information about the billing process. I guess I will find it under settings in the near future?

Thanks again for your great work. Cheers from Germany
    Dirk

I’m so happy to hear you are enjoying our new Family release, Dirk! Thank you so much for the kind words and for sharing your experiences.

Supporting older versions of Windows is absolutely on our list, and indeed it’s on our short list in fact! We’re working on it and we’ll announce it here on the blog as well as in my newsletter (https://agilebits.com/newsletter) when it’s available.

As for Internationalization, I hear you loud and clear. We absolutely want to get the web app and new Admin Console localized. With that said, please note that the native apps are already available in many languages. You would need to help your family understand the initial setup, but from there they would be happy using the apps in their language.

Regarding billing, yes, absolutely, you’ll be able to add it under settings soon. We actually already have a change in our local test environment that updated the Settings page to explain that you will be able to add your credit card soon. We also have billing ready as well but I didn’t want to rush it out the door; it should be there soon though.

Thanks again for everything Dirk! Take care and I hope Germany is a bit warmer than Canada is today :)

11. Blind Steel (@blind_steel)
    Blind Steel (@blind_steel) says:

Hi. I tried this tonight and it doesn’t seem to be fully ready for prime time (maybe it’s bad luck or something with the server or that app updates haven’t come through yet). Here were our issues:
    1a. The default for any attempted invitation is to have a new member created as a “Guest” – we tried multiple times to create an account for my wife as a proper “Team Member” and it never worked, on any tab.
    1b. The instructions in 1Password’s help section for this situation state that a “Guest” account must be first “suspended” and then “deleted” before a new invitation can be sent as a “Team Member”. In our experience tonight, the 1Password system allowed “suspensions” but did not allow subsequent “deletions”.
    2. Once we resigned ourselves to the fact that my wife could only be added as a “Guest”, we were unable to “share” any items from my old 1Password for Mac account. That functionality does not appear to be built into the app yet (I have checked on the App Store for updates to the app, but there are none available).
    3. The use of Passkeys is REALLY excessive. And, again maybe the problem stems from attempting to use this new feature in the first 24 hours of announcement, in our experience the QRCodes that are there to obviate the need for the Passkeys only worked 50% of the time.

I’m excited for the product (I’ve been happily using 1Password for over 5 years) but this particular feature set does not appear to be ready for prime time yet, I’m sorry to say.

Hello Blind, or should I call you Mr. Steel? I think I’ll stick with Blind and stay on a first name basis if you don’t mind :)

I’m sorry to hear you’re having troubles setting up your family. I’ll be happy to help! I’ll address your points in order:

1a) It sounds like you are inviting your family members from the Invites tab. There is a “Team Members” tab in the Admin Console where you can invite full fledged family members instead of guests.

1b) It sounds like you already found out the answer to 1a above. As for deletions, I just tested it and it seemed to work for me, so I’d like to better understand what happened to you. Just to be 100% clear, you were clicking this Delete User button on your wife’s profile page, right?

1. In theory (and in my experience) you can move items between vaults by following these instructions:

Please give those a look over and see if it matches what you were seeing. Note that this feature requires that you are running 1Password 6 on Mac.

1. I’m sorry that you were exposed to so many passkeys, that shouldn’t be needed. I’m surprised the QRCodes were not working for you. To be clear, were you scanning the QRCodes from your Emergency Kit or from the Get The Apps page?

In any event I’m sorry your initial experience with 1Password wasn’t an awesome one. We’ll make this right for you and get things working.

I hope the above helped. Please let me know.

• Blind Steel (@blind_steel)
      Blind Steel (@blind_steel) says:

Dave,

Appreciate the reply. It was actually very helpful. Between the guidance it offered and I guess better luck we got everything up and running. A bit of feedback, in case it’s helpful to your FAQs and Support info:

You were, I think, right. We must have invited my wife from the “Invites” tab (which I guess defaults to any invitation sent from that tab being a “Guest” invitation? – that’s a little nonintuitive). Anyway, once were able to delete her account (next point below), when invited her from the “Family Member” tab, it defaulted to the invitation being a “Team Member” invitation.
      Yes, when we clicked through to the User Profile page THAT’S where we saw the option to “Delete User” (again, that’s not a point that’s very clear in the current draft of the support page – it’s not clear where you need to go, precisely, in order to find the “Delete User” button). But, yes, with your clarified instructions we were able to find it.
      QR Codes were working much better today. Not sure why but we couldn’t, for the life of us, get the frame box color to go from blue to green – even when the QR Code seemed perfectly framed.
      And, after some struggling, I figured out that the issue with sharing items into the Shared vault derived from (1) “forcing” an update of 1Password for Mac (at least 24 hours ago, if you clicked for updates in the Apple App Store, it did not show that you needed to update 1Password – HOWEVER, today if you search for the app itself the blue button will flag for you that your version of the app needs to be updated) and (2) once I’d updated the app, going through the instructions of adding the 1Password for Teams vault into the App (it took me a while to figure that second part out).

I think a little bit of clarification in the FAQs and Support pages as well as some attention to the tab labeling should smooth these potholes from the road for future adopters. I do appreciate the help though.

The only other piece of feedback (I suppose it’s more of a question) is this: I now (as a person who’s been using 1Password for years and just activated 1Password for Teams) seem to have two duplicative and redundant vaults – my “Primary” (i.e., legacy) vault and my “Personal” (i.e., new 1 Password for Teams) vault. It looks like I have to choose one or the other as my default “saving vault” – is that necessary? Can’t they be automatically synced or merged?

Again, really thanks for the prompt reply. I am a big fan of the product and hope to be a big fan of the new one also.

@blind_steel

You’re very welcome. I’m glad I could shed some light on things and help get you up and running :)

I think the majority of the confusion was coming from the fact your Mac App Store version of 1Password was out of date. Even the QRCode issues were likely related to this as I believe the new version you downloaded had made additional improvements to the QRCode reader as well.

Now I don’t want to throw any other company under the bus, but I have to say how the Mac App Store updates 1Password is completely out of our control. I’m not sure why you weren’t able to update in the normal fashion, and unfortunately there’s not a darn thing I can do to debug it, either. Again, I’m really not trying to avoid helping you here, but rather just telling you that I can’t help you in this particular case. If you want to pursue it further (which I would love it if you would!) you will need to contact Apple and explain what happened.

As for the other things like documentation, those are completely under our control and I agree with you that there’s things we can do there to make it better. One idea that comes to mind is we probably shouldn’t introduce the concept of “Guest” until you’ve added other team members. Or at least show a message explaining exactly what a Guest is the first time you attempt to add one.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us and giving us a chance to help.

12. Balthasar
    Balthasar says:

Hi Dave,

I use 1Password for a long time (+Knox every now and then).
    As I seriously do not want to physically “give away” my secure data, I’d love to have this 1Password for Families on my NAS. Any plans on this or am I forced to share with Amazon and NSA?
    Just saying I completely trust your encryption, but when somebody else has my very well encrypted data, it is possible (and likely) that somewhen he will be able to hack it – if that mean person has no access to the encrypted files, there’s one hurdle more to hack it.

So I’d love to see a 1Password for Families – host yourself version (somewhen in the future). Any chance?

Best, Balthasar

Hello Balthasar,

Thank you for raising these important points. We’ve done a lot of things to make your data completely useless to everyone (including the NSA) except yourself, but I understand where your fear is coming from.

As great as a self-hosted version of 1Password for Families would be for us geeks, I think you underestimate the amount of configuration that is required. We have well over 10 servers (I’ve lost count now) and we leverage a lot of special services from AWS, such as their KMS hardward encryption service to add additional layers of protection on your data.

I know Roustem was planning on writing a post about our infrastructure and the design decisions we made. That post is still in his draft pile but I’m looking forward to linking to it once it’s available :)

By the sounds of things you will want to stick with 1Password as you currently have it configured (I assume you’re using Wi-Fi syncing?) and forego the features available in 1Password Families.

13. Jan
    Jan says:

Hi there,
    I haven’t been asked for any payments so far. Not they I don’t like that but I am wondering when your ‘5 for 5’ plan will take effect?
    BR Jan

Hi Jan,

Thank for asking!

No need to worry, you will be prompted to add your credit card when needed. We’re updating things now to make that more clear within the web app, and I wanted to make this a Quest as well. Out of curiosity, did you finish your quests yet and get your other present?

• Larry Rosenman
      Larry Rosenman says:

will the same presents be available for a while, since I’m going to hang out with an account, but inactive, till full Windows 7/10/browser support is done?

You’re asking me to look quite far into the future, Larry, and my crystal ball gets pretty hazy one I look past the next month or two :)

The thing is I don’t know when we will be able to support Windows 7. I would love to think that it will be very soon but I know that these types of things tend to be quite difficult so I’m not willing to say when they’ll be ready.

We’re still over a month away from March 21st so I’m going to ask that you ask your question again in 4 weeks. Sound fair? My crystal ball will be able to see better at that time ;)

14. Shad Collins
    Shad Collins says:

Really pleased with the Teams/Family solution.

I’ve been using 1Password for a very, very long time(in technology time). It has progressed amazingly over the years. I have no problem paying for a subscription model as it provides ongoing funding to continue improving the product. With a pay-once scenario, it is great for the customers for awhile but eventually the market saturates and then there is less money to invest in new features. I wish people understood (especially investors and wallstreet) that their isn’t an unlimited supply of customers and that revenue will continue growing at higher and higher rates year over year.

$5 a month is cheaper than a monthly spotify subscription or a fancy cup of coffee. It also makes it easier psycologically as it is easy to say, “look its five bucks.. give me a break.. its your identify and your whole family’s passwords”…

TLDR; Happy with the product. Has made amazing improvements the last 18 months. Very supportive of the direction. Can I pay you my $5 now, preferably with an annual option in addition to monthly so I don’t have to keep classifying the transaction in the accounting system.

-sc
    p.s. would have liked a credit for the apps purchased but I understand how difficult Apple and others make it to figure that out. I agree that it probably wasn’t worth writing something to detect whether you have it or not and then give you a code to put it on the website to get a credit.

Hello Shad!

I’m super happy to hear that you are enjoying 1Password Families and 1Password Teams! That’s music to my ears :)

And thank you so much for the feedback on the $5 price that we choose. You can imagine that there was a LOT of discussion about this within our team over the last few months. I’m so happy to hear it meets your needs and feels good talking about.

As for when you can pay us, you will be prompted soon within the web app to add your credit card. At that time there will indeed be an option to pay annually if you prefer going that route.

Lastly, thank you for your understanding about the difficulty in giving existing users a credit. It’s certainly could be done but we just couldn’t get it done in our existing timelines. Who knows, maybe someday we’ll have some free time and will write that code. I know I for one would be very happy if it existed as I know we wouldn’t be here without awesome customers like you.

Thanks again,

15. Felix
    Felix says:

Hi. I tested 1Password for Families yesterday and noticed that attachments seem not to be supported yet. I attached some PDFs/mails etc. to my software licences and they where detached when I moved my stuff from local vault to team vault. Any plans on fixing/adding this feature?

Another question: is there any date (like 3rd quarter of 2016) that you plan to relaase the Teams feature for Windows 7 or 8? Since I am the only Mac user in my family, the other family members cannot use 1Password for Families because they do not habe installed Windows 10 yet.

Hello Felix!

Thank you for reminding us how important it is that we provide seamless migration of attachments. We already have support in Families for documents, but they are technically much different than attachments.

We’ve designed documents differently so we could leverage the power of having a central service that we control rather than a third-party sync solution. As such the implementation is completely different between attachments and documents, and Families only supports documents.

Now I’ll be frank and say that you as a user shouldn’t need to know about this in the slightest. From an outside point of view they are very similar and therefore attachments should seamlessly migrate into documents within Families. This is where we want to get to, but for now you will need to manually add your existing files to your Family items.

As for your second question about Windows, I don’t allow myself to talk about dates publicly as I always tend to get them wrong. What I can say about Windows is we are working on adding support for older versions of Windows and it will be announced here on this blog when it’s available.

I hope that helps. Take care and please let me know if you have any further questions.

• OPC
      OPC says:

Hi again Dave – this is a follow up question to something you mentioned regarding documents vs attachments. I have long enjoyed flawless attachments in my 1P vaults and they have saved me many a time when I have left the house without my drivers license and my attachment has been sufficient.

In one of your responses you wrote:

A couple of things:
      Will Families ever support attachments or is the new norm going to be documents? I have migrated a few entries from 1P to Families (one of them being a drivers license) and now I have two entries – one under drivers license and the other under ‘documents’ and the scan of the license shows perfectly there. So this is how it’s going to be or is this just a baby step?
      You also mentioned manually adding files to Family items .. the scan of the DL came through perfectly which negates the need to manually add the file. So I’m a bit unclear what you mean by that.

If I understand the new Families correctly, any entry with an attachment will now be placed in it’s own area called Documents and those documents are linked to the entires in their various categories. Is that about it?

It’s all new, it’s all very exciting and I commend you and your team for taking this next step. Well done!!

Hello again :)

I’m happy to hear that you have been enjoying using attachments in 1Password! Indeed adding your Driver’s License is a great idea; I keep meaning to do that myself for those rare times I leave without my wallet.

As for Families, you will use Documents instead of Attachments. In many ways they are identical but their underlying implementation is completely different. As you said, we currently show Documents as a separate item in Families, and as you say, I think this is a baby step. We’ll continue to improve the design here.

Regarding your Driver’s license migrating over automatically, I’m a bit surprised myself to be honest. I wonder, which platform did you do the migration on? Last time I tried on Mac this was still an issue, but we have an awesome team and maybe they fixed it already :)

In any event, it sounds like you understand the new Documents feature perfectly. It’s basically the same as attachments from a users perspective, but underneath the covers they are so different that we decided it was important to use a separate name. This will become more important over the coming years as we continue to improve the way Documents appear within 1Password and how you’re able to use them.

• OPC
      OPC says:

Hi Dave –

I use 1P 6 for Mac and I actually copied it to my Family folder, not moved, but the scan / pdf came over automatically and now resides in the documents folder. After reading your emails now, I just did the same thing with my passport and another document was created automatically when I moved vaults. I’d say it’s fixed.

• David
      David says:

At first I thought that the documents were just stripped out of the item with no association between the item and document, but I now see that there is a link to the document, and you can add additional links after the fact. That’s just great. I was worried there for a sec, but you seem to have implemented a nice solution. It’s pretty cool what you are doing here. I’m going to proceed slowly with the migration, but it’s pretty impressive.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »