App Spotlight: 1Password + Evernote = ❤

Evernote is a big part of my daily workflow. I use it every day and for almost everything: from taking notes while on a call to recording the steps I took to reproduce a bug I am tracking. Just like 1Password, Evernote has its spot on my iPhone home screen. I use it all the time and it lets me be 100% paper-free.

As a developer, I restore my iPhone more than the average user, so 1Password integration has become a deciding factor when adding new apps to my workflow. Now that I can log in to Evernote for iOS using the 1Password Extension, restoring my devices will be so much easier!

App Spotlight: Evernote - Sign In

If you don’t have an Evernote account yet, creating one is easier than ever now that the registration page supports 1Password. 1Password can generate a strong, unique password for you and save it automatically. Best of all, by using Password Recipes, 1Password can ensure the generated password meets Evernote’s password requirements.

Password Recipes

Sometimes, I go to a website and try to create an account, but they don’t accept my password. They have particular rules to follow, things like maximum length, disallowing specific symbols, etc. When they don’t tell me those rules up front, I have to keep trying passwords until I find one that works.

To make sure this doesn’t happen to you when creating your Evernote account, the Evernote team is making use of an awesome 1Password feature called Password Recipes. When asked to generate a new password, Evernote passes 1Password the details of what they need and 1Password makes sure the generated password matches the requirements. Perfect passwords, every time! No muss, no fuss, no frustration. I’m so happy that Evernote has implemented this feature, making sign-up even more simple for all of their customers.

Two-step verification

Right before I published this post, I found out that Evernote has implemented our extension’s TOTP feature, and I’m so excited to tell you about it!

In this day and age, it’s important to keep my accounts as secure as possible, so I was really happy when Evernote announced that two-step verification is available to all Evernote users. I enabled it immediately. Until now, I’ve had to switch back to 1Password to copy my one-time password and quickly switch back to Evernote to paste it before it expires! It’s very stressful. Now that Evernote supports the time-based one-time password (TOTP) feature of the 1Password extension, I don’t have to worry about it anymore. This is probably my favourite thing. Thanks, Evernote!

Just check out how great this is. After filling my email address and password, 1Password automatically enters the one-time password. So easy!

App Spotlight: Evernote - TOTP

Easy as pie

When Mike Greiner told me that he added the 1Password integration to Evernote I was jumping all over the place. Since developing the app extension is what I do here at AgileBits, I wanted to hear how the implementation went.

Here’s what Chuck Pletcher (Evernote iOS Product Manager) said about the experience:

AgileBits gave us a simple, well-documented API to add this powerful feature. The developer who worked on this project, Mike Greiner, budgeted about half a week for this project, but he had it completed before lunch the first day. It took longer to make a demo video than it took to build the integration.

I’m excited to be able to add Evernote to the list of Apps that love 1Password. We’re so happy to tell you that you can upgrade Evernote today to experience the 1Password integration. If you haven’t checked it out yet, today is the best day to start! ?

Visit the Evernote website to download Evernote today.

We couldn’t make 1Password the awesome app that it is today without feedback from users like you. The same is true for every app out there: developers can make better apps if they know what users want. After experiencing 1Password support in Evernote, you’ll want it in all your favourite apps. Reach out to the developers and send them to our Developer Outreach page, so they can discover for themselves just how quickly and easily they can add 1Password support to their apps.

Hello Raffi,

This is a good question. Thank you for asking! :)

One iOS the operating system provides us with the features we need to integrate 1Password with 3rd party applications. It’s a really awesome technology and we were tickled pink when Apple introduced it a year and a half ago at their annual developers conference.

As far as I know Android does not yet have this ability. It’s something I’d love to see added and we’ll pursue it further once it’s possible.

On Android we do have the 1Password Keyboard for filling, which works pretty well. A full blown extension would be able to do even more, but in some ways the keyboard is better as it’s able to work with all applications since it’s not limited to apps that implement the extension.

So Android has a lot to learn from iOS, and the inverse is true as well. Hopefully both Google and Apple continue to improve things so we can have more options available on both platforms.

• rad
      rad says:

Thanks for taking the time to write in, Raffi! ?

The 1Password App Extension API for iOS ( https://github.com/AgileBits/onepassword-app-extension ) is based on Apple APIs such as “NSExtension”, “NSItemProvider”, etc. The whole “magic” is possible thanks to those APIs introduced back in iOS 8.

On Android you can fill into apps and browsers by using the 1Password Keyboard. For more details about the 1Password keyboard and the 1Password Automatic Filling service, please take a look at : https://support.1password.com/guides/android/filling.html

As for TOTPs, 1Password for Android can display TOTPs added on other platforms, but can not (yet) create new TOTP fields. It is on our radar to add this feature soon.

Hope that this helps.

• Raffi
      Raffi says:

Thanks for the speedy and detailed replies Dave and rad! As a dev myself, I appreciate the extra technical bits there as well. ;)

I’m actually currently a BlackBerry 10 user and haven’t yet decided which platform will be my next choice. Little things like this make or break the overall UX and enjoyment of using a phone so keep it up, and hopefully keep both platforms at as much parity as possible.

• rad
      rad says:

Thanks for the kind words, Raffi!

We strive to maintain feature-parity for all our platforms and I am really glad that users like you think along the same lines.

As far as choosing your next platforms, the choice is yours. But I do appreciate how hard it is for you. Regardless of the platform that you choose, we hope that 1Password will end up on your device. ?

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

All the best!

1. Dave Teare

Great post, Rad!

It’s awesome to see all the things you keep adding to the 1Password extension. Password Recipes and TOTP support are going to help a lot of developers and in the end millions of users as well.

Thank you!

2. nicky
    nicky says:

Hi Dave,

I just tried moved my 2 step verification from Google Authenticator to 1password and it worked perfect. Don’t know if any other iOS App such as Dropbox or Gmail support this feature. If so, I’d like very much move all my 2 step verification to 1Password.

• radwanazzouz
      radwanazzouz says:

Hi everyone,

Kaveh, TOTP is part of 1Password for iOS Pro Features ( https://support.1password.com/pro-features-faq/ ). If you do have the Pro Features, here’s how to setup the One-Tine Passwords in 1Password for iOS: https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/setting-up-one-time-passwords.html

Nicky, I am really happy to hear that you were able to add your two step verification to 1Password.

Two-step verification is a security feature which can usually be enabled in the security settings of an app or service. There are several sites that support TOTPs so far, off the top of my head, I know that Amazon, Bitbucket, EA, Facebook, Github, Microsoft, Slack, Snapchat and Tumblr, all support TOTP. Personally, I enabled two-step verification where ever possible.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help ;-)

Have an Awesome weekend!

Rad

• Rad Azzouz
      Rad Azzouz says:

Hi everyone,

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help ;-)

Have an Awesome weekend!

Rad

3. Kaveh
    Kaveh says:

Worked like a champ. My wife and I sync using dropbox. On those accounts which we have two step authentication, we had to juggle using text messages (I had the google authenticator). Now having it all in 1password makes it so much more convenient – Thanks!