1Password update for Mac featured image

1Password 6.2 for Mac: The New Tricks Edition

You know what they say. “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but you can teach password managers new things.” I don’t know about old dogs, but 1Password has definitely learned some new tricks over the years. There have been dozens of new versions, hundreds of betas, and approximately a gazillion improvements! That’s a lot of changes, and we’re not about to stop now. Welcome to 1Password 6.2 for Mac: The New Tricks Edition.

A bigger brain

1Password logo: brain

One of the most magical things about 1Password is the handy-dandy browser extension, which automatically saves your passwords. It’s also the way 1Password knows how to fill in your information on sites asking for your shipping information or credit card number.

The extension is powered by what we call the brain, and boy has it been doing its homework lately. It studied numerous websites, drank some ginseng-infused green tea, and now is ready to fill your information on any website you throw at it. When you save a new Login, the brain will also take a stab at filling in a good title for you.

First-class importing

We’ve made 1Password a lot more versatile and accessible in recent months. We’ve had beautiful updates to 1Password for Android, iOS, and Mac. We announced 1Password for Teams and 1Password Families. We also have 1Password beta for Windows 10 in the Windows Store. This is the best time for you, your businesses, and your loved ones to join our 1Password family.

1Password 6.2 for Mac: Import Wizard

We wanted to make switching to 1Password a breeze, so we took another look to make sure importing data was simple. If you’re joining us from another app, jump right in—the water’s fine and the sailing’s smooth!

The whole bag o’ tricks

These are the two big new features available in 1Password for Mac, but that’s not all we have for you! This release features dozens of other improvements. We’ve made 1Password mini faster and play better with multiple active Chrome profiles. Plus, you can now restore existing data from iCloud when you’re setting up 1Password for Mac. If you’d like to learn about all of the changes in this update, take a gander at our full release notes.

What do you think of today’s update? Please share your thoughts with us in the comments or start a conversation with us in our discussion forums. We also invite you to reach out to us on Twitter or Facebook.

1. martymankins
    martymankins says:

On the importing from another password app, what versions of SplashID do you support and can existing 1Password users import and have it add to the passwords we already have?

• agilekevin
      agilekevin says:

Hi Marty,

I’ll check on the SplashID version for you. To answer your second part of your question, yes. Existing users can certainly add it to the passwords they already have. When you import, you can choose the destination vault and it will tag the newly imported items so you can easily find them.

• agilekevin
      agilekevin says:

Hi Marty,

To follow up, we recommend SplashID vID3 for the best compatibility.

2. andrewparkeruk
    andrewparkeruk says:

Will the new features, e.g. bigger brain, modify exiting stored 1P data for sites; or does this work only on new sites? Thanks in advance

• Rick Fillion
      Rick Fillion says:

Hi Andrew,

That’s a great question, and I wish we had thought of it while writing this blog post. The enhancements to the brain in this version should work for existing items, so you shouldn’t have to do anything to get the improvements.

3. Ted
    Ted says:

I do appreciate the work, but I think I will stop with the updates. For me, my version of 1PW works great in every respect. It has a TON of features which are great, but I don’t or I won’t ever use. I don’t even use the browser extension because, well, for one, I let the browser remember my passwords, and two, if I don’t remember a login, it really takes no time at all to open 1PW and just copy paste it. I don’t live a fast paced life as most people do, and so spending 10 seconds to start an app and looking up a login is more than acceptable in my life (PS: I am not exactly close to retirement age yet :-) But I’m just saying this because I don’t think you need to be at your retirement age to pace things out and slow down.

Also, as I mentioned, the browser remembers passwords if I elect to do so. I will never let the browser remember passwords for such sites as banks or credit cards, etc. When I need to login to banks, I always take 10 seconds to open 1PW and lookup the login. The best part: I don’t even have to press Cmd+F because the search bar is immediately active so I can start typing as soon as I logged into 1PW.

I maybe use half a dozen of sites that would otherwise require a login and I actually make a habit of trying to remembering gibberish password characters. You know. Kinda keep your brain trained – sorta thing. I keep reading that because of wide spread use of mobile phones (…I don’t and never had one), people don’t even remember phone numbers any more because all they do is press a button on the touch screen. So if they lose their phones, they can’t even call their loved ones (if you’re lucky enough to have one) because they never made the effort to learn the number. So I force myself to learn the gibberish, generated passwords just to train my brain to remember things (like what’s my name, the name of the planet I live on, what year I was born, etc).

One of the things I like about the past that long time ago corporate corruption and greed was somewhat lower than it is today and they made stuff that lasted. Good manufacturing, good materials, etc. You bought it once and it lasted for you for years. That’s how I am nowadays with software. As long as it provides me what I need the software for, and it doesn’t have any bugs (or at least bugs I can live with), that software is good enough for me.

1PW is great software, it does a lot, and provides me with everything I need. One feature I just found out recently, that I can AirDrop individual entries into my other mac (eg from a desktop to a laptop), and it automatically gets entered into 1PW. I really like that.

If I were to add any more features, I think it would be a button which would help believing in myself. But that’s another story or another time.

Thanks, and great job with 1 PW!

• Rick Fillion
      Rick Fillion says:

Hi Ted,

Thanks for taking the time to write that. I know what you mean, and I’m very much so like you. In fact I didn’t even update to the “new” OS X until yesterday. 10.10 was just fine by me. Sure it had bugs and issues, but by now I knew how to avoid them and mostly be happy. My computer worked, and I was happy.

What you’re saying there is about the greatest compliment a software developer could hear. I’m thrilled that you like 1Password just the way it is. If it works for you as is, by all means keep using the version you like. I’m not sure if you noticed or not, but version 6.1 and 6.2 had far more fixes than new features. We want to make sure that the features that we already have work as well as they can, so that’s what we’ve been focusing on.

That being said… there’s a lot that we’d love to do to make 1Password better. We have so many ideas. Maybe some of those ideas will appeal to you, maybe they won’t. Take a look at the future releases, and you can decide for yourself if it’s worth upgrading.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or ideas, never hesitate to reach out to us.

• agilekevin
      agilekevin says:

We do plan on making future improvements to the importer, and Dashlane support is one of them. Dashlane’s export format is a bit different than others so it will take a little more time.

4. JAK
    JAK says:

I can honestly say that this has been one of the habit forming apps which is hard to come by. An essential part of my day-to-day.

• Sara Teare
      Sara Teare says:

Thank you so much @Jak! It is amazing how much easier navigating the internet is when I’m not worrying about which password I should use, let alone if it is strong enough. Having 1Password generate the super long strong ones, and then use it to automagically login everywhere makes me a happy camper! I am glad we get to be a part of your day :)