1Password Families featured image

Flipping his way to Texas

I suspect that I am like every other parent alive, always happy to talk your ear off about the latest incredible thing that my son (and only child) Austin, has done.

Austin upside down in Texas

Austin is 15, and a trampoline gymnast. He trains at Skyriders Trampoline Place, the home of Canada’s gold medal-winning Rosie MacLennan. He is Canada’s current Level 5, age 16 and under National champion. So yeah, I am a pretty proud dad.

A few weeks ago Austin was invited to spend a week out in Texas to train at the USA Gymnastics National Team Training Center. This was going to be his first international trip without Brenda and me. Sure, he’d be going out there with a couple of other athletes and a coach, but we were still a bit nervous about it.

So, we started to get things ready for his trip. There were consent forms to fill out, travel and health insurance to purchase, flights to arrange and more. As parents, we also wanted to provide him with any and all information he could potentially need while away. Now, if only there was somewhere that I could put all of this info. :)

As it turns out, we have just the right place: 1Password Families of course! Using our 1Password Families account, I created a Texas Trip vault, and shared it with both Brenda and Austin.

Flipping to Texas: Texas Trip vault

I added our passports, contact info and a credit card for emergencies (new headphones are not an emergency). In went the flights, insurance policies, consent forms, and all the rest. Finally, I added passwords for all the ways he could reach us, from Skype to FaceTime to Zoom; although, trying to get a 15-year-old to actually talk to his parents was another matter.

Flipping to Texas: Austin sign

It was really quite reassuring to know that all of that information was there for him to easily access on either his Mac or his iPhone (which never, ever leaves his side—except when he’s jumping!). Better yet, if we had forgotten anything, we could easily add it to the vault from home, and it would instantly show up for him in Texas.

Austin had a great time out in Texas. He came back with some pretty awesome memories and indications that “he was just fine without us”. :) I’m pretty excited to say that he’s qualified for the Canadian finals again this year, and who knows, maybe in 4 years he’ll be headed to the Olympics.

I created this Texas Trip vault for his trip and found it to be tremendously useful, so thought I’d share it with you. I’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas on how an event- or activity-based vault would be useful to you.

1. Polly
    Polly says:

Great post & a great example of how awesome 1P Families really is. Maybe Austin could call my 17 year old daughter and suggest she accept my invitation to our family vault!

• jashiner
      jashiner says:

Hey Polly,

Thanks so much, it was a lot of fun writing this post. Between Austin’s first international trip alone, and 1Password Families being quite new it was really exciting to see how useful this vault turned out to be. In hindsight, I could have even added Austin’s coach as a guest to our Family account and invited her to the Texas Trip vault as well, just in case.

As for your daughter, I could ask Austin… but in my experience nothing is more intimidating to a 15 year old boy than a 17 year old girl. :)

2. Michael Fey
    Michael Fey says:

This is really cool story, Shiner. Congrats to you, Brenda, and Austin!

One of things that Carrie (my wife) and I have recently started doing is getting the paperwork in order for the unlikely event of our untimely demise. We’ve decided on an executor for our wills and some folks with power of attorney. The next step I believe will be to create a vault in our family account that contains all of the information that an executor might need and share it with the folks that need it. You know, this sounds like a blog post in the making itself…

• jashiner
      jashiner says:

Hey Michael… thanks!

It is never fun thinking about or planning for the end of our lives, or of those who are dear to us, but it is probably one of the most important things we can do to help those we care about. I can’t imagine how difficult it would be should one of my parents pass on, let alone trying to figure out where all their important information was kept. Having it all readily accessible in one place would take one huge burden off my mind in a time of great grief and heartache.

I’d love to read that blog post to hear how you used 1Password Families and what all went into that vault.

3. julie
    julie says:

My son Sean, who was born in Austin, lives in Texas and drinks Shiner beer has access to a “household” vault for whenever I leave town.

I keep all the utility information in it, in case something happens to the house the next time Sara packs us all on a boat, or we all fly to Toronto. Probably the most important item in there is detailed instructions for dealing with the alarm system. Sean’s been getting in and out of the house with the alarm turned on for as long as the house has been around, but for the rest of my Family they might need my super-detailed notes so the police don’t show up. Keeping copies of all the household information in a single location makes it very easy to add the people in my Family Of Choice as Guest users and immediately grant them access to All The Things they’d need to know while house sitting.

• jashiner
      jashiner says:

Hey Julie,

I must admit that Austin was a bit upset to find out that the US training camp was in Houston and not in Austin… although he’s too young to be drinking any Shiner beer. :)

Having a family vault is a great idea, and the idea of adding the alarm codes (and garage codes… I keep forgetting that one) is wonderful. While we usually think of security first when we think of 1Password, there is a ton of other useful information that we can keep in one easy to access location as well. One of the more interesting things that I used to keep in my vault was a Secure Note with Tabby-cat instructions. Poor Tabitha was pretty old at the time and on special kidney food and medicine which had to be given at specific times and doses. It was great, as whenever we were gone for a few days I could share it with whomever cat-sat for us.

4. Nancy
    Nancy says:

I would like to get this for my family, after researching a number of different apps. I see there is an option to download 1Password onto my Mac, and since I prefer to do most of my editing on the computer initially, I wonder if this is the best way to go. If I download 6.2 1Password for my Mac, does that allow me to set up the family sharing from my computer, so that we can share 1Password information between our family iPhones? There are 4 of us that would be sharing. How does that work in terms of purchasing the app for everyone? Does everyone NEED to purchase a separate 1Password, or is there a “family” price? Thank you.

• Eva Schweber
      Eva Schweber says:

Hi Nancy,

Great questions! Based on the scenario you are describing, it sounds like 1Password for Families is the best option for your needs.

If you subscribe to 1Password for Families, it includes the use of our Mac and iOS apps for up to 5 family members (7 if your subscribe before April 14th). That means that you and your other family members can download the latest version of each app and use it to add, edit and fill your data as with our stand-alone apps. And sharing is built in to your 1Password for Families account so you can each use the app on your own Macs and iPhones and have your data shared across all all family members.

If you were to purchase the licenses individually, then you would need to purchase a license for each Mac (as our licenses are per person/per platform). Our basic iOS apps are free, although there are some additional Pro features that you may purchase to access the full functionality of the app.

Best wishes,

• Nancy
      Nancy says:

Thanks for you quick reply, Eva. Would you recommend that I make the initial start through the iTunes store and acquire the app on my iPhone? Or should I go the route of the download to my Mac via the computer? Maybe both options take me to the same place…

5. Lars Olsson
    Lars Olsson says:

Hi Nancy,

To sign up for 1Password Families, you’ll need to visit https://1password.com/families first, and set up an account there. You’ll be asked to choose a name for your family (usually your last name works well, but hey, feel free to be creative!) and create a username for yourself and a Master Password. You’ll also receive your Account Key – make sure you keep a copy of it!

Once you’re confirmed via email, you can get familiar with the features ( https://support.1password.com/teams-user-getting-started/ ) and then start inviting your family members ( https://support.1password.com/teams-admin-getting-started/ ). Once you’re set up and configured your account in your browser, you can download our native apps for Mac or iOS devices, and so can the rest of your family – and you can each authorize as many devices as you own/use and begin using 1Password everywhere you need it!

Let us know if you have any problems or questions at support at agilebits.com