1Password 6.3 for Mac: The Passion Project

Spring has sprung and passion is in the air. The birds are feeling it, the bees are feeling it, we’re feeling it and so are you! We have heard your passionate pleas for some key improvements and we are overjoyed to share the results with you in our latest update to 1Password for Mac, version 6.3.

New browser support

Like many of you, we love trying out new browsers, but we are lost without our 1Password browser extensions. That’s why we added support for three more browsers in version 6.3: Vivaldi, Brave and Opera developer. Vivaldi aims to be the most customizable of browsers (and is it ever!), Brave is focused on security and privacy and Opera developer is for those who love to live on the edge. These browsers are now verified by 1Password, enabling you to log in to any website safely and securely.

Large Type

Did you know that you can embiggen your passwords? We introduced Large Type in 1Password 5.4 and it immediately became one of your favorite features. Among your love notes and thank-yous were some enthusiastic pleas to let the Large Type window be anchored so that you can click elsewhere without it disappearing. Now you can! Simply drag the window and it will become an anchored window that won’t disappear until you close it or lock your vault.

1Password 6.3 for Mac: Anchor the Large Type window

VoiceOver

Accessibility is important to us and VoiceOver support is a key tool in making 1Password more accessible to more users. 1Password 6.3 is now easier to navigate when using VoiceOver, especially when moving between the sidebar, item list, and item details. We have also made similar improvements to 1Password mini.

These are just some of the features in our latest release, but there are so many more. If you’d like to see the whole list of improvements, check out our full release notes.

What do you think of today’s update? Please share your thoughts with us in the comments or start a conversation with us in our discussion forums. We also invite you to reach out to us on Twitter or Facebook.

• nik
      nik says:

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by our blog. =) I’m sorry about the confusion. I was actually kind of confused myself, because it looks like Brave does things a little differently from my other web browsers. It took me a little bit to figure things out.

In Brave, open Preferences > Security, and enable the Use 1Password option.

That’s all I had to do! There’s nothing more to install. To test it, I went to Amazon, clicked the button to sign in to my account, and typed ⌘\ 1Password correctly entered my e-mail address and password, and logged me in.

I hope that helps. =)

• kOoLiNuS
      kOoLiNuS says:

That’s it!
      Thank you so much Nik … it’s working. I’d never imagined to go inside the application preferences to enable a 3rd party app.

• nik
      nik says:

You’re most welcome! Thank you for the update, I’m happy to hear that worked out for you. =)

• Eva Schweber
      Eva Schweber says:

Hi Lindsey,

1Password 6 does not add the option to automatically change website passwords for you. The struggle for us is balancing our commitment to security and privacy for our customers with convenience. This is a feature that we discuss adding from time to time, but we have yet to find a solution that meets our high security standards.

There are logistical issues that we face as well. A feature like that cannot work with all websites. Web forms to change passwords work differently on just about every site – they’re even less consistent than login, address, and credit card forms. We would need to create custom code for nearly every website, and although I’m sure some of the more popular sites would be supported first, you would likely still need to manually change your password on many (if not most) of the sites where you have logins.

I can’t promise that we will be able to settle on a solution that allows us to add this feature to a future release, but at least you now know that it is on our minds.

Best,
      Eva

• Michel Crostics
      Michel Crostics says:

move to dashlane or one passs – they have this feature woking properly and securely for last 2 years. 1 password is outdated

• eva
      eva says:

Hi, Michael! Thanks for trying to help out. We trust our customers to weigh their options and choose the solution that’s best for them, and we’re honoured when they choose 1Password.

We always love to hear what’s popular with and important to current and potential customers, so thanks for sharing your thoughts. If you’d like to continue this conversation, we’re all ears. Let’s move it to the forums, where more folks—including our developers—can participate.

Best,
      Eva

• Petr Z.
      Petr Z. says:

@Michael Crostics

Subjective. In short, I have tried both LastPass and Dashlane but I utterly despise the user experience and lack of other features 1Pasword has, I wouldn’t exchange any of those two for 1Password even if they paid me!

I can easily live without automatic password changer, this feature sounds nice but is potentially a security threat. Go on and enjoy Dashlane or whatever, let us (the rest) enjoy 1Password.

• eva
      eva says:

Hi Nate,

There is a ton of exciting happenings in the world of 1Password for Windows development right now. You can check out the work in progress by checking out our beta.

Even if you aren’t ready to live on the edge by using the beta, that article has a very nice update on what we have done and where we are going.

Best,
      Eva

1. Ethan
    Ethan says:

Hey, why Mac version of 1P keeps showing iCloud Session Expired recently even though I signed in with Apple ID in order to sync with iCloud? That’s pretty annoyed.

Hello Ethan,

Thanks for bringing this up.

What appears to be happening is iCloud is forcing a login about every 24 hours. We haven’t confirmed the exact time frame yet, but once a day seems to be about right.

We are seeing this happening here as well and have contacted Apple for more information. In the meantime, it is safe to login when you receive that prompt.

Hopefully we can find a resolution soon.

2. ChrisM
    ChrisM says:

Hi, is there a key combo to open Large Type? It’s easy to navigate to the password field in 1P Mini (Cmd+Alt+\ then Right Cursor) but I can’t work out how to trigger the Large Type option in the drop-down that appears next to the field.

• eva
      eva says:

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, we don’t have a keyboard shortcut to open Large Type at the moment. But it is a good idea and one that I will be happy to share with our developers.

Best wishes,
      Eva

3. Michele
    Michele says:

I wish there was a way to increase font size overall. It’s mighty small for reading some of those important symbols and numbers for those of us who are a bit older.

Hi Michele,

I hear you on the font sizes – as my eyes age I’ve been increasing fonts everywhere.

What I found to be most helpful of all was to go to System Preferences > Displays, and change the resolution from Default to Scaled. I’ve bumped it up one but on days when my eyes are dry I bump it up again and it helps a lot.

Of course, this is also why I love the Large Type feature when I need to read a password :)

I hope this helps.

4. Randall Simonsen
    Randall Simonsen says:

I have 1Password on my MacBook Pro and my iPhone 6. A few months ago Chrome sent me a notice that they disabled part of 1Password because “the 1Password App must be installed for the extention to work properly.”

The little key icon in the bar in the upper right disappeared. I can still access info using the icon in the dock, but I have to enter the user ID and password manually. That kinda defeats the purpose. I tried to find what Chrome needed and fix the problem, but no go. What can I do?

• Eva Schweber
      Eva Schweber says:

Hi Randall,

I would like to encourage you to contact us via email so we can help you figure out what is going on and get it resolved. The best way to reach us would be to send us an email at support+social@agilebits.com and one of our support Jedi be happy to help you.

Best wishes,