Love 1Password? We’re Hiring!

It’s been a while since I wrote a hiring post so let me take a step back before jumping in.

Ten years ago, we started out as a Mac OS X shop and slowly branched out to all platforms. 1Password is now on OS X, iOS, Windows, and Android. With our 1Password service, we also have customers on Linux now.

During this time, our development team has grown from 2 to over 20 and this has enabled us to have separate teams for each platform. Nowadays when I write a 1Password announcements newsletter I am routinely able to share updates on multiple platforms instead of just one. I used to have a hard limit of 500 words per newsletter but have since raised it to 1000 to make room for all the awesome things we’re working on.

And with all these additional updates have come a lot more customers as well. We love helping customers and pride ourselves on giving helpful and friendly answers to everyone who reaches out to us.

Lately it has been getting harder and harder to keep our response time super fast so we’re looking to add several awesome folks to our support team to help out.

Read on to see if you’d be a good dance partner for us ?

Love Helping People?

If you love helping people I’d love to talk with you and see if working at AgileBits is right for you.

It really is that simple. I’m not looking for any resumes or technical degrees – I will read them if provided but all I really care about is you have a good heart and that you love helping others.

We can teach you everything else you need to know, but try as we might, we cannot teach you compassion or empathy.

If this sounds like you, contact me and we’ll get the conversation started. But before you click Send on that email, let’s cover a few important points you’ll need to know ❤

This Ain’t Typical Customer Support

If you have a mental image of Customer Support as being locked in a cubicle within some faceless organization reading from a set of prewritten scripts, you’ll be happy to know that working at AgileBits is nothing like working in a cube farm.

For one thing, we are a remote company so most of us work from home. Second, we want to WOW customers whenever possible so our support team has no prewritten scripts to read from.

Sure we have an Internal Knowledgebase with answers to help you when you need it, but your goal is not to get the customer to go away like most companies. Instead, your goal is to go out of your way to put a smile on our customers’ faces. There’s no script in the world that can accomplish this given our diverse set of users so it’s up to you to be creative and find a way to create a personal connection with each user.

Communicating with 1Password users and helping them directly is an incredibly rewarding experience. We really do have the best customers in the world and we give you the freedom to have fun with them.

With that in mind, we want you spending some extra time to learn about each customer, what they like and dislike, and if you find they are a Mets fan, go ahead and razz them and let them know they don’t stand a chance against the Blue Jays this year. ⚾️

Once you show customers that you’re human, have a sense of humour, and are actually there to help them, they are quick to respond with a smile and helping them becomes much easier. You’ll also be well on your way to making a new friend.

Our best marketing tool

You might think that spending all this extra time with customers would be expensive but we’ve never viewed Customer Support as an expense. In fact it’s the exact opposite: we believe support is the best marketing tool we can possibly invest in.

When customers have an awesome experience with 1Password and our support team, they tell their friends and families and co-workers. Word of mouth marketing has always been the cornerstone of our marketing plan and it’s one of the main reasons we’re here today.

We want you going the extra mile while helping customers and finding creative ways to make them smile. Doing so encourages customers to write back whenever needed and we can continue building the relationship.

Greatness doesn’t require perfection

I was thinking about this blog post a few weeks ago while driving with Sara, Abby, and Jack to Darien Lake for a family weekend.

During the drive I saw a sign that really resonated with me. It said, “You don’t have to be perfect to be the perfect parent”. As much as I think fostering children is awesome, what came to my mind when I read the sign is that it applies equally to support.

No one on our team is perfect, but we provide amazing support.

This is certainly true for me personally. Long gone are the days where I knew everything there was to know about 1Password, so when a customer catches me off guard I’m honest and tell them I need to go ask for help. Other times I don’t understand the issue being described so I simply tell the truth that I’m not following them 100% and ask if they can elaborate. When I make a mistake I fall on my sword and say sorry. And I always try to go out of my way to wish people a good weekend or any holidays that might be coming up.

At the end of the day, I simply try to be human and treat people the way I would face to face. Over the years I’ve found humility and friendliness to be the best tools to show customers that I care and am listening.

In sum if you’re nervous to apply because you’re worried you can’t answer every everything, don’t be. If you’re a hero, we’ll hire you. But if you’re just someone who loves 1Password and enjoys helping people, we’ll also hire you ?

By the way, you might be wondering why I am so confident you would be an awesome fit for our support team. My thought process is this: You are already using 1Password and you’re passionate enough about 1Password to be reading our blog. And if you’ve made it this far to learn that you need to include your favourite Game of Thrones character in your application email, then you obviously have the stamina and attention to detail that we need ?

If you have a kind heart and love helping people, let’s talk. Our support team is the best in the world and we’d love to have you join us.

bearhug

AGConf6

Thanks Devi! I look forward to seeing your email and getting back to you. It’s getting late here and I need some sleep so you might not hear from me until the weekend, but you will hear from me soonishly! :)

• Angela Harrington
      Angela Harrington says:

I would love working for this amazing company! I love to read the newsletters to find out what’s new! I love serving people and making them smile! I love making a positive difference in someone’s life!

Sounds like we would make good dance partners, Angela! ?

I look forward to reading you application email :)

1. Humberto Vega
    Humberto Vega says:

Awesome blog, make me love you gays more than I used to. I wish you continue growing up. I wish work with you but I’m afraid of my English isn’t the better. Keep doing what you do the most ??????

Hello Humberto,

Your English is pretty good! Sure it needs a bit more polish but I’ve seen worse :)

What’s your native tongue?

• Humberto Vega
      Humberto Vega says:

Hello Dave, thanks for your comment. My native tongue is Spanish. I came to US recently and I’m still learning English.
      HV

• Sara Teare
      Sara Teare says:

Practice makes perfect Humberto – you can do it ;)

If you are looking for a way to practice English while also showing some 1Password love, you can always join in on our discussion forums – we’ve got lots of lovely folks there too!

Keep being awesome:)
      Sara

2. Ralph "Skip" Simpson
    Ralph "Skip" Simpson says:

Well, I ordered and was using 1 Password vs 4 for Windows; but didn’t think it would integrate with my browsers so I stopped using it. Just purchased an upgrade and am trying it out on my MacBook Air I just purchased. I’ll upgrade it on my Windows laptop also and give it another try. I’m impressed by your customer service philosophy and may contact you. I want to give 1 Password another try to ensure myself that it lives up to what it’s advertised as doing. I think it will; thus the reason I hunted up my old license code and upgraded.

Hey Ralph!

It’s awesome to hear you’re giving 1Password another try. 1Password 4 for Windows does indeed integrate with browsers so as long as no anti-virus or similar programs are blocking you, you should be fine. If you run into troubles, drop us a line at support@agilebits.com and we’ll do our best to help.

Take care.

3. Rob Brown
    Rob Brown says:

I have used 1Password since the very early days on all of my Apple computers, iPhones and iPads. Nothing compares to it! No other company offers support like AgileBits. Updates are provided in a timely manner and issues are resolved efficiently. If I wasn’t retired I would jump at the opportunity to be a part of the 1Password support team!

Thank you so so much Rob! I’m honoured and humbled that you think so highly of AgileBits. We’ve been working our tails off for almost 10 years on 1Password now and it’s great to know you noticed :)

If you ever get bored in retirement, let us know ;)

4. John Davidson
    John Davidson says:

You mentioned that many of your support team work from home. Does it matter where home is?
    I’ve been using 1Password for as long as I can remember and recommend it to everyone I help.

Hi John!

Location doesn’t really matter that much. We are primarily located in the US and Canada, but we have satellite offices in UK, Germany, Spain, and until recently the Netherlands. Ideally we’d have a few people from Australia and Asia to increase our time zone coverage, but we can make pretty much any location work :)

I look forward to reading your email and learning more about you and your favorite Games of Thrones character ;)

5. Miguel James
    Miguel James says:

Dave, absolutely, and good for you. I love your attitude. Wish more people understood their client’s needs as well as you seem to.

I’ve known about 1Password for a long time but as I was using Filemaker Pro to keep a database of logins and passwords, found no need under OSX.5.8. However with my new MacBook Pro and El Capitan that changed dramatically and hence my need for 1Password.

Sure, would be fun to explore a new opportunity within a software group as yours. Although retired and enjoying the great outdoors here on the Bruce Peninsula, there would be time enough to help and share with those interested in more AgileBits products.

Cheers,

Miguel

Hi Miguel!

For a second there I thought you were going to ask for help with your OS X 10.5.8 machine! It’s been so long since I’ve used Leopard I had visions of needing to Google the answer for you :)

1Password is awesome and working at AgileBits is the bees knees, but geez, competing with enjoying the outdoors in Bruce Peninsula is a tough challenge. Maybe if you ever get allergies like mine and prefer staying indoors with your new MacBook Pro you can apply :)

Take care and enjoy the spring while you can!

6. Karen N
    Karen N says:

Hey Dave,
    I use 1Password on all my Mac devices and wouldn’t be without it! I’d jump at the chance to be part of your support team and working remotely would suit me perfectly being based in Perth, Australia.
    Cheers
    Karen

• Sara Teare
      Sara Teare says:

Being remote definitely allows for more opportunities to find awesome folks;)

If you haven’t already sent in an email, I’d definitely encourage you to do so!

Enjoy your day,
      Sara

Good morning, Karen!

Extending the list of AgileBits satellite offices to include Australia would be awesome! James used to work for us from Australia and our customers really appreciated having their questions answered in the middle of the night. He would sign his emails with “Greetings from down under!” and that always got a smile. :)

I look forward to reading your email!

7. James G
    James G says:

Hey Dave,

How do you feel about adding some support from the Land Down Under?

I’m just whipping up and email to send through to put in an application for myself.

Regards,

James

• Sara Teare
      Sara Teare says:

Hey James!

We’ve got customers from the Land Down Under, along with everywhere else, so we don’t let location slow us down:)

Sara

Hah! I just replied about the Land Down Under in my reply to Karen above :)

We’d love to have some Aussies aboard and I look forward to reading your email!

8. Robert Wise
    Robert Wise says:

Howdy Dave, love 1Password, all my pics and work docs are at a moments touch. Looking forward to hopefully speaking with you directly.

Have a great weekend

Robert

• Sara Teare
      Sara Teare says:

Thanks for sending in your information Robert!

I know what Dave and I will be doing this weekend, as you’re in good company with your application;)

Enjoy your weekend also,
      Sara

9. andru16
    andru16 says:

Hey Dave,

Love reading your posts. I’ve been using 1Password for around 8 years or so, and I’ve recommended it to everyone I know. I love that it syncs across all my devices and allows me to fill out passwords even on my iPads now.

I’d love to explore working as part of your support team at some juncture as I’m looking into a career change, so do tell me more.

• Sara Teare
      Sara Teare says:

Hi Andru!

Every time I think of how old 1Password is, I find myself in a bit of disbelief – time really does fly!! I appreciate you being with us for so long on this journey also:)

Please send us an email with some more information, and we can take things from there. Having a passion for helping people is most important, and being able to help troubleshoot issues is much easier when you know there is a living, breathing, CARING, person on the other end of those emails!

Looking forward to hearing from you,
      Sara

Wow, 8 years! I had to look things up in the 1Password changelog to see what we were up to in 2008 as my memory doesn’t go back that far :)

Looks like we were working on 1Password 2 at that time. Those were good times! But of course, all the time were good so it’s hard to remember them all. It’s a good problem to have I suppose :)

I look forward to seeing your email and reminiscing about ol’ times!

10. Sharon Parra
    Sharon Parra says:

Have already applied!!! Exciting to hear from you soon and nervous about it too!!! It’s hard to think people would not get inspired with such a personal touching words as yours are in your post. I don’t know much about you, but now I want to learn when, where and how you started.

Thank you for the opportunity.

11. Darryl Sorenson
    Darryl Sorenson says:

Would love to be apart of an amazing team. Helping people is a great feeling. I’ve heard “I’m not good with computers” and my answer is “We all have to start somewhere, if you need a hand I’m there”

• Sara Teare
      Sara Teare says:

It really is a great group of people here – I’m very fortunate to work with them all!! Looking forward to hearing from you:)
      Sara

I really appreciate how you said that, Darryl. You’re right, we all have to start somewhere! ❤️

12. Gary Langouroux
    Gary Langouroux says:

What a fantastic opportunity Sara and Dave, I am at home all the time now living in London as a result of my partner progressing with her illness, I’m no youngster, but an early adopter of 1Password on both platforms, with loads of spare time on my hands, hence I live on my computer, I used to drive around London in a big red bus, so lots of customer support experience, just wondered if a 53 year old would stand a chance, I’d love the opportunity.

Good Luck to you both.

Gary

Hi Gary,

You sound like an awesome person! I’ve seen those big red buses and I’ve also seen how narrow the streets are in London. If you’re able to navigate a bus down London streets without killing anyone I gotta believe you’d be able to navigate the tight corners our customers give us from time to time.

Now, on a completely unrelated topic, we’re gonna need to call the London police department and see if there were any incidents related to big red buses :)

As for age, I’m a big believer in you’re only as old as you feel. If you can find connections and make people smile, I don’t care if you’re two hundred and fifty three. On the other hand, if you’re a youngster and are yelling at people to get off your lawn, your heart has obviously hardened and you’ll need to look else where.

It’s all about your heart. ❤️

13. nipurngupta
    nipurngupta says:

I initially started out with the OS X version, then soon adopting the iOS and Android versions too. Never been much so enthusiastic about any other tool like 1Password.
    I’m from India and after reading this post I’m positive that I would make a good Hand. ;)

Hello!

It’s so awesome to hear you’re enthusiasm! And it’s great to hear you are using 1Password on 3 separate platforms – that would certainly come in handy!

As for living in India, that would be awesome for improving our time zone coverage. You’d be 10 hours ahead of me which would mean our customers could get answers while I sleep. That would be awesome :)

I look forward to reading your application email!

14. KELLIE QUINN
    KELLIE QUINN says:

G’day from Australia! ??
    Email has been sent and can’t wait to hear back from you Dave!
    Cheers!
    Kellie ???

Awesome! I’m looking forward to reading your email, Kellie :)

I’m trying my best to answer all emails personally, so it may take me some time to catch up. I’ll try my best to reply as soon as possible!

15. Mike Roelofsen
    Mike Roelofsen says:

Hi Dave and Sara:
    I was reading the posts here with great interest. My wife and I just live down the street from you guys (Lake Margaret Station) !!! Just curious to see if you have any need for a bilingual (Mandarin and English) customer support person or “other”? My wife is originally from China – do you have many customers there or a need for translation (written or the spoken word?). She presently works in Finance (AP/AR) for a major St T company. If you are looking for someone who is fluent in Chinese, I’ll let her know.

Good morning, Mike!

What a surprise to hear from my neighbour! Wow, it’s a small world, eh?!

We have many customers in China and I have to be honest and say we don’t do as good as a job helping them as I would like. We have localized the 1Password apps into Chinese but it’s been tough to provide support to them in their native tongue and our user guides and support articles are all written in English. It’s a tough problem and I’d like to do better here going forward.

Being fluent in both English and Mandarin would be a big benefit to your wife but it doesn’t make up for the core things that I talked about in this post. The most important thing is she’s able to make a human connection and make people smile and to do so in written form. That last part is probably the hardest part of all as it’s really hard to convey emotion and intent in written text.

I look forward to seeing her application! Best of luck and enjoy the weather out there – maybe I’ll even see you during my walk around Lake Margaret today :)

16. Mike Roelofsen
    Mike Roelofsen says:

Dave and Sara:
    Further to my post just now – I forgot to mention that I’ve been using 1Password on my Mac for many years. Wouldn’t be without it !

17. Carla
    Carla says:

Hi Dave, I have been using 1Password over all my devices (Macs, iPads, and iPhones) for a little over a year as a result of some banking fraud and absolutely love it. I use it everyday. I was very optimistic when I learned that you were hiring as I have always wanted to try the working from home after retiring from CenturyLink in 2007. My last position with them was working in a call center as technical support for their DSL helping the customer with troubleshooting their internet problems. I will send you an email in a little bit. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Hi Carla!

I was going to make a joke about supporting DSL modems and how you won’t be able to just tell 1Password customers to unplug it, wait 10 seconds, and plug it in again. But then I realized that sometimes we do indeed have to tell customers to reboot their device to reset some operating system component, and the joke was no longer as funny as I had hoped :)

I look forward to seeing your email! I’m replying to all applicants personally so don’t expect a super quick turn around time from me, but you will hear from me relatively soon.

18. Deron Bos (@bosorganization)
    Deron Bos (@bosorganization) says:

Dave and Sara!

Just sent an email expressing my great interest in this opportunity that doesn’t provide a GOT character does make a Mad Men Final episode reference — hope this is acceptable! ? Excited to talk to you more about this opportunity, loved this post announcing it, great representation of the importance of humor in making a connection.

Hi Deron!

Mad Men substitutions are totally acceptable!

Try as I might I’ve never been able to get Sara into GoT. One day she almost got into it and then the Theon Greyjoy torture scene so I needed to yell at Sara to get out of the room, quick! She was thankful to have missed that scene, but she never came back, either :)

I look forward to reading your email, and I expect I’ll need to Google your Mad Men reference as I try my best to avoid TV as much as I can. GoT is one of the few treats I allow myself :)