1Password 6 beta for Windows opens the door to 1Password Families and 1Password Teams

I’ve got some exciting news to share with you about 1Password for Windows.

We’ve been working on a brand new app that brings 1Password Teams and 1Password Families to all of our Windows users. Today, we’re ready to tell you more about it and invite you to try it out. If you’re using 1Password 4 and are syncing using Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync, sit tight for a future release which will have full OPVault and AgileKeychain support.

1Windows

We love Windows 10. 1Password for Windows 10 beta was one of the earliest apps in the Windows Store using Microsoft’s newest app development platform, and we’re really excited about Windows 10 being active on over 200 million devices. But 47% of Windows users are still using Windows 7, and they weren’t able to use the new 1Password app, which made everyone very sad.

We wanted to bring 1Password Teams and 1Password Families to everyone. We wanted to make a beautiful app that offers a design and experience consistent with our other 1Password apps. We wanted to easily add features to the app without being limited by platform restrictions. Most of all, we wanted to benefit from all the hard work we put into 1Password beta for Windows 10. So, after many highly caffeinated days and lots of new code, we made an app that can be used by almost all Windows users.

Introducing 1Password 6

1Password 6 beta for Windows

1Password 6 is our newest Windows app and we can’t wait for you to take it for a spin! If you are running Windows 7, 8, or 10, you can download the beta today.

1Password 6 includes many fantastic features you’re going to love, such as:

• A beautiful new design with High-DPI support now out of the box.
  • Support for 1Password Families and 1Password Teams.all vaults
  • Support for multiple vaults and the handy All Vaults view.
  • Basic support for browser extensions.
  • Out-of-the-box support for screen readers like Narrator.
  • Unicode support, enabling us to translate 1Password into Chinese, Russian, and other languages.
  • Import existing data from OPVault or AgileKeychain formats (read-only).
  • Large Type, for easily viewing passwords.

largeType

Download 1Password 6 beta

To get started using your 1Password Family or Teams account with the beta of 1Password 6, all you need is Windows 7, 8, or 10, and .NET 4.6.

Download 1Password 6 beta

If you’re not subscribed to one of our subscription services, we do not suggest trying 1Password 6 just yet. Full OPVault and AgileKeychain support will be coming later in the year and we’ll have another announcement when we’re ready for you.

Looking forward

Our target is to officially release the stable version of 1Password 6 in August. Here are the main things remaining to reach that goal:

• Improved browser extension integration
  • Increase stability and reliability
  • Polish the app’s design, and turn up the pretty

We’re really proud of the beta but we also know we have a long ways to go. Please share your feedback to help us prioritize what we have left to do before the official release. Please share your thoughts with us in the 1Password beta for Windows forum. Together, we’ll make this the best version of 1Password for Windows ever!

Thanks, Max! We’re pretty excited about this, too :)

Please give it a spin and let us know how it goes.

Hi Kiran!

We’re Canadian so we tend to understate things and try not to talk too much :)

With that said, we are still early in the beta process so I didn’t want us making much noise about it until it got more stable.

Please give it a spin and let us know how it goes.

1. James
    James says:

Gotta say I’m pretty disappointed, your UWP app is atrocious, I thought you were going to announce a hugely beefed-up version of it. You’re rationale that many are still using 7/8 is fail, at the rate conversions are happening, a much smaller % will be using them by this time next year.

Hi James,

A year ago I agreed with you about the expected Windows 10 adoption rate and how we should focus on the latest and greatest OS. This is exactly what we do with iOS and Mac but it has been a lot tougher path to follow for both Android and Windows.

After releasing a Windows 10 only version of 1Password we heard loud and clear from our customers that adding support for older versions of Windows is super important to them. Thankfully we were able to build upon the foundation of the Windows 10 app to bring support to Windows 7 and 8.

Thanks for giving it a try James! We certainly still have a ways to go but that’s what makes it so much fun. I look forward to hearing from you on our next announcement :)

• James
      James says:

Quite frankly Dave, the app as it stands (UWP or this new Hybrid) is REALLY bad, it’s SO much worse than the OSX/iOS apps it’s not funny, & that’s despite dev’ing for 2 quite distinct platforms (iOS/OSX). It very clearly falls waaay short of your usual impeccable standard on iOS/OSX, apparently this is Agilebits not taking W10 that seriously.

There’s similar apps/services that do it so much better, they’re not as good on other platforms as you (especially iOS/OSX), but they’ve got you completely snookered on W10/W10M.

As UWP matures to W32 levels (& it is fairly rapidly), you really have no excuse not to have an equally capable app for W10/W10M by roughly this time next year*, as all the work that goes into a UWP optimised app for Desktop/Laptop/UP/Hybrid/Tablet etc, can be largely reused for XBO, W10M, Other. Alas, the approach you’re taking now, is greatly paralysing that leverage opportunity.

Cheers.
      *Whilst not charging us again for the privilege. Or at least making it completely free, until the current “alpha/beta program” is truly at parity. God knows you’ve already had long enough.

You’re right James, our iOS and Mac apps are really well polished, and I’d add Android to that list as well now. Android is an interesting story as I heard a similar argument about Android not that long ago and we’ve since narrowed the gap significantly.

Windows will be following a similar path and the gap will narrow considerably over the upcoming releases.

We’ll get there :)

• James
      James says:

Oh you may well eventually “get there”, but when, & how long, that’s the question. You’ve already been at it for quite some time now, & don’t really have all that much to show for it (comparatively speaking).

And are you going to make it free while it’s in its current really bad state (not all of that’s your fault, UWP still has some ways to go), until such time as it’s at least “close” to parity?

Many of us will still gladly pay for the other Apps/Web/Service, but it’s not fair to include the current Windows offering in that cost come August, especially if we’re helping with the alpha/beta program.

Cheers.

• James
      James says:

You have indeed narrowed the gap with Android, aware of all of that story, too, but even it’s considerably behind iOS/OSX. Guess it’d be tolerable if we saw W10x at least reach parity with Android by this time next year, with them all evening-up in another yr or so after that.

• James
      James says:

Dave TBH that’s a cop out, please can you try to address it more thoughtfully;
      It’s not very nice/professional to respond so vaguely -without bothering to address each point/Qn.

• James
      James says:

So I’ve been overly critical (unjustifiably in your view), subsequently you’re offended & have decided not to give my last post a more well-considered answer:

Gives me lots of pause for thought Dave, why would you do that, why not suck-it-up & come back with a more robust explanation, everyone’s happy at that point.

You always put up an image of genuinely wanting to be helpful, & provide a solid BG/rationale for things. But in this instance, for some reason you go radio silent, without any kind of substantive response beyond a vague one-liner.

Not helpful in the least, REALLY disappointed, adds further to my increasing disenchantment, TBH.

Hi James!

I’m not ignoring you and I feel bad that you feel that way. I simply haven’t had a chance to reply yet. I think you took my “just keep swimming” comment the wrong way and I apologize for that. For some perspective of where I was coming from there, I literally have hundreds of other customers waiting to hear from me and I had already replied to you twice and didn’t think I had much to add to the conversation so I decided to go on to others. In retrospect I should have said nothing and came back when I had more time.

To answer your question about payments, 1Password 6 for Windows only supports our 1Password Teams and 1Password Families subscription services. Everyone subscribed will get 1Password 6 for Windows for free and will receive all updates and upgrades for free as well.

I hope that answers your questions. The other points in your comments were opinions about UWP versus iOS/macOS and I’m not knowledgeable enough to be able to comment about the comparison.

Take care James,

2. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

Thank you for adding support for Windows 7. While I keep my OSs up to date at home, this is not an option on my work computer. Adding support for Windows 7 is a huge win!

I hope that 1Password 6 for Windows is as good as the Mac version. My wife complains about 1Password on her Windows laptop. However, when she uses it on our Mac, she comments “This is why you love this program”.

Hello Anonymous!

You’re very welcome! As much as I really only wanted to support Windows 10, there are many folks who are in your position and so we wanted to be able to support older versions as well. I’m glad Sergey and his team were able to do so! :)

As for Windows versus OS X, I have to come right out and say that 1Password on OS X is still quite far ahead of Windows at this time. Sergey and his team are catching up but you have to keep in mind that the OS X team has been around longer and they also get to share a lot with the iOS team as well as Apple has done a great job of sharing features between iOS and OS X.

We’ll get there in time but we’re not there yet. We’ll keep moving forward and that’s a good thing as that’s what keeps things exciting :)

3. Sam
    Sam says:

Will I get free update to 1password 6 if I buy now? I dont want to spend now and again spend 50% to upgrade later. thx

Hi Sam,

The initial launch of 1Password 6 in August will be focused on 1Password Families and 1Password Teams users. Both these subscriptions include the apps for all platforms as well as free upgrades.

4. Juan Tarrío (@jtarrio)
    Juan Tarrío (@jtarrio) says:

At last! This is fantastic! Quick initial feedback: the app needs to be able to be closed and stay running in the system tray, especially since it needs to be running (and unlocked) for the browser extension to work. I’m sure you’re already aware of this and hopefully you’ll address it in an upcoming beta. ;)

Other than that, the Win+Shift+L combination doesn’t work to lock the app, and the UI needs a lot of polish (the settings screen is hideous). I know you guys can do UI, I wish you treated the Windows platform with the same care you treat the Mac one UI-wise.

Really looking forward to seeing future improvements before the official release!!

Thanks for giving the beta a try, Juan! And thank you so much for the feedback!

I agree with you 100%: it would be awesome to have the browser extension be fully functional even when the main 1Password app isn’t running. We’d like to do this and we will eventually, but I’m not sure if it will make it for our initial August deadline. As you saw we have a lot of other things to complete before then :)

Thanks again and please join us in our Windows beta forums and continue sharing your feedback! ♥️

5. James
    James says:

I tried to subscribe to this thread via just an email & it didn’t work, logged into WP now & have a Gravatar synced with it, hopefully it works now!

• nik
      nik says:

Sorry you had trouble subscribing to new comments via email, James. Thanks for letting us know! We’ll have a look and try to figure out what’s going on. I hope that the issue is resolved for you after having logged in to WordPress.

• James
      James says:

NP. Works so long as I’m logged into WP, but if you’re away from a WP site for more than a few hrs, it seems it logs out & you have to log back in (well it least that what happened just now). Cheers.

Hi Jakob,

I’m sorry about that. I’m not sure if Wine will ever be possible with our new version but we do have some ideas for Linux users that I think you’ll enjoy. Until then I think you’ll need to stay with 1Password 4 on Linux or simply use the 1Password Families and 1Password Teams web interface.

• Jakob
      Jakob says:

Its only about the browser compatibility.
      I dont really need the software it would be really cool when the browser plugin is compatible with 1password family.

I agree 100% – having full support for the 1Password browser extension on Linux would be really awesome. It is not something we’re actively working on at this moment but it’s certainly on our radar.