1Password beta update for Windows featured image

1Password 6 beta for Windows opens the door to 1Password Families and 1Password Teams

I’ve got some exciting news to share with you about 1Password for Windows.

We’ve been working on a brand new app that brings 1Password Teams and 1Password Families to all of our Windows users. Today, we’re ready to tell you more about it and invite you to try it out. If you’re using 1Password 4 and are syncing using Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync, sit tight for a future release which will have full OPVault and AgileKeychain support.

1Windows

We love Windows 10. 1Password for Windows 10 beta was one of the earliest apps in the Windows Store using Microsoft’s newest app development platform, and we’re really excited about Windows 10 being active on over 200 million devices. But 47% of Windows users are still using Windows 7, and they weren’t able to use the new 1Password app, which made everyone very sad.

We wanted to bring 1Password Teams and 1Password Families to everyone. We wanted to make a beautiful app that offers a design and experience consistent with our other 1Password apps. We wanted to easily add features to the app without being limited by platform restrictions. Most of all, we wanted to benefit from all the hard work we put into 1Password beta for Windows 10. So, after many highly caffeinated days and lots of new code, we made an app that can be used by almost all Windows users.

Introducing 1Password 6

1Password 6 beta for Windows

1Password 6 is our newest Windows app and we can’t wait for you to take it for a spin! If you are running Windows 7, 8, or 10, you can download the beta today.

1Password 6 includes many fantastic features you’re going to love, such as:

• A beautiful new design with High-DPI support now out of the box.
  • Support for 1Password Families and 1Password Teams.all vaults
  • Support for multiple vaults and the handy All Vaults view.
  • Basic support for browser extensions.
  • Out-of-the-box support for screen readers like Narrator.
  • Unicode support, enabling us to translate 1Password into Chinese, Russian, and other languages.
  • Import existing data from OPVault or AgileKeychain formats (read-only).
  • Large Type, for easily viewing passwords.

largeType

Download 1Password 6 beta

To get started using your 1Password Family or Teams account with the beta of 1Password 6, all you need is Windows 7, 8, or 10, and .NET 4.6.

Download 1Password 6 beta

If you’re not subscribed to one of our subscription services, we do not suggest trying 1Password 6 just yet. Full OPVault and AgileKeychain support will be coming later in the year and we’ll have another announcement when we’re ready for you.

Looking forward

Our target is to officially release the stable version of 1Password 6 in August. Here are the main things remaining to reach that goal:

• Improved browser extension integration
  • Increase stability and reliability
  • Polish the app’s design, and turn up the pretty

We’re really proud of the beta but we also know we have a long ways to go. Please share your feedback to help us prioritize what we have left to do before the official release. Please share your thoughts with us in the 1Password beta for Windows forum. Together, we’ll make this the best version of 1Password for Windows ever!

Thanks, Max! We’re pretty excited about this, too :)

Please give it a spin and let us know how it goes.

Hi Kiran!

We’re Canadian so we tend to understate things and try not to talk too much :)

With that said, we are still early in the beta process so I didn’t want us making much noise about it until it got more stable.

Please give it a spin and let us know how it goes.

1. James
    James says:

Gotta say I’m pretty disappointed, your UWP app is atrocious, I thought you were going to announce a hugely beefed-up version of it. You’re rationale that many are still using 7/8 is fail, at the rate conversions are happening, a much smaller % will be using them by this time next year.

Hi James,

A year ago I agreed with you about the expected Windows 10 adoption rate and how we should focus on the latest and greatest OS. This is exactly what we do with iOS and Mac but it has been a lot tougher path to follow for both Android and Windows.

After releasing a Windows 10 only version of 1Password we heard loud and clear from our customers that adding support for older versions of Windows is super important to them. Thankfully we were able to build upon the foundation of the Windows 10 app to bring support to Windows 7 and 8.

Thanks for giving it a try James! We certainly still have a ways to go but that’s what makes it so much fun. I look forward to hearing from you on our next announcement :)

• James
      James says:

Quite frankly Dave, the app as it stands (UWP or this new Hybrid) is REALLY bad, it’s SO much worse than the OSX/iOS apps it’s not funny, & that’s despite dev’ing for 2 quite distinct platforms (iOS/OSX). It very clearly falls waaay short of your usual impeccable standard on iOS/OSX, apparently this is Agilebits not taking W10 that seriously.

There’s similar apps/services that do it so much better, they’re not as good on other platforms as you (especially iOS/OSX), but they’ve got you completely snookered on W10/W10M.

As UWP matures to W32 levels (& it is fairly rapidly), you really have no excuse not to have an equally capable app for W10/W10M by roughly this time next year*, as all the work that goes into a UWP optimised app for Desktop/Laptop/UP/Hybrid/Tablet etc, can be largely reused for XBO, W10M, Other. Alas, the approach you’re taking now, is greatly paralysing that leverage opportunity.

Cheers.
      *Whilst not charging us again for the privilege. Or at least making it completely free, until the current “alpha/beta program” is truly at parity. God knows you’ve already had long enough.

You’re right James, our iOS and Mac apps are really well polished, and I’d add Android to that list as well now. Android is an interesting story as I heard a similar argument about Android not that long ago and we’ve since narrowed the gap significantly.

Windows will be following a similar path and the gap will narrow considerably over the upcoming releases.

We’ll get there :)

• James
      James says:

Oh you may well eventually “get there”, but when, & how long, that’s the question. You’ve already been at it for quite some time now, & don’t really have all that much to show for it (comparatively speaking).

And are you going to make it free while it’s in its current really bad state (not all of that’s your fault, UWP still has some ways to go), until such time as it’s at least “close” to parity?

Many of us will still gladly pay for the other Apps/Web/Service, but it’s not fair to include the current Windows offering in that cost come August, especially if we’re helping with the alpha/beta program.

Cheers.

• James
      James says:

You have indeed narrowed the gap with Android, aware of all of that story, too, but even it’s considerably behind iOS/OSX. Guess it’d be tolerable if we saw W10x at least reach parity with Android by this time next year, with them all evening-up in another yr or so after that.

• James
      James says:

Dave TBH that’s a cop out, please can you try to address it more thoughtfully;
      It’s not very nice/professional to respond so vaguely -without bothering to address each point/Qn.

• James
      James says:

So I’ve been overly critical (unjustifiably in your view), subsequently you’re offended & have decided not to give my last post a more well-considered answer:

Gives me lots of pause for thought Dave, why would you do that, why not suck-it-up & come back with a more robust explanation, everyone’s happy at that point.

You always put up an image of genuinely wanting to be helpful, & provide a solid BG/rationale for things. But in this instance, for some reason you go radio silent, without any kind of substantive response beyond a vague one-liner.

Not helpful in the least, REALLY disappointed, adds further to my increasing disenchantment, TBH.

Hi James!

I’m not ignoring you and I feel bad that you feel that way. I simply haven’t had a chance to reply yet. I think you took my “just keep swimming” comment the wrong way and I apologize for that. For some perspective of where I was coming from there, I literally have hundreds of other customers waiting to hear from me and I had already replied to you twice and didn’t think I had much to add to the conversation so I decided to go on to others. In retrospect I should have said nothing and came back when I had more time.

To answer your question about payments, 1Password 6 for Windows only supports our 1Password Teams and 1Password Families subscription services. Everyone subscribed will get 1Password 6 for Windows for free and will receive all updates and upgrades for free as well.

I hope that answers your questions. The other points in your comments were opinions about UWP versus iOS/macOS and I’m not knowledgeable enough to be able to comment about the comparison.

Take care James,

2. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

Thank you for adding support for Windows 7. While I keep my OSs up to date at home, this is not an option on my work computer. Adding support for Windows 7 is a huge win!

I hope that 1Password 6 for Windows is as good as the Mac version. My wife complains about 1Password on her Windows laptop. However, when she uses it on our Mac, she comments “This is why you love this program”.

Hello Anonymous!

You’re very welcome! As much as I really only wanted to support Windows 10, there are many folks who are in your position and so we wanted to be able to support older versions as well. I’m glad Sergey and his team were able to do so! :)

As for Windows versus OS X, I have to come right out and say that 1Password on OS X is still quite far ahead of Windows at this time. Sergey and his team are catching up but you have to keep in mind that the OS X team has been around longer and they also get to share a lot with the iOS team as well as Apple has done a great job of sharing features between iOS and OS X.

We’ll get there in time but we’re not there yet. We’ll keep moving forward and that’s a good thing as that’s what keeps things exciting :)

3. Sam
    Sam says:

Will I get free update to 1password 6 if I buy now? I dont want to spend now and again spend 50% to upgrade later. thx

Hi Sam,

The initial launch of 1Password 6 in August will be focused on 1Password Families and 1Password Teams users. Both these subscriptions include the apps for all platforms as well as free upgrades.

4. Juan Tarrío (@jtarrio)
    Juan Tarrío (@jtarrio) says:

At last! This is fantastic! Quick initial feedback: the app needs to be able to be closed and stay running in the system tray, especially since it needs to be running (and unlocked) for the browser extension to work. I’m sure you’re already aware of this and hopefully you’ll address it in an upcoming beta. ;)

Other than that, the Win+Shift+L combination doesn’t work to lock the app, and the UI needs a lot of polish (the settings screen is hideous). I know you guys can do UI, I wish you treated the Windows platform with the same care you treat the Mac one UI-wise.

Really looking forward to seeing future improvements before the official release!!

Thanks for giving the beta a try, Juan! And thank you so much for the feedback!

I agree with you 100%: it would be awesome to have the browser extension be fully functional even when the main 1Password app isn’t running. We’d like to do this and we will eventually, but I’m not sure if it will make it for our initial August deadline. As you saw we have a lot of other things to complete before then :)

Thanks again and please join us in our Windows beta forums and continue sharing your feedback! ♥️

5. James
    James says:

I tried to subscribe to this thread via just an email & it didn’t work, logged into WP now & have a Gravatar synced with it, hopefully it works now!

• nik
      nik says:

Sorry you had trouble subscribing to new comments via email, James. Thanks for letting us know! We’ll have a look and try to figure out what’s going on. I hope that the issue is resolved for you after having logged in to WordPress.

• James
      James says:

NP. Works so long as I’m logged into WP, but if you’re away from a WP site for more than a few hrs, it seems it logs out & you have to log back in (well it least that what happened just now). Cheers.

Hi Jakob,

I’m sorry about that. I’m not sure if Wine will ever be possible with our new version but we do have some ideas for Linux users that I think you’ll enjoy. Until then I think you’ll need to stay with 1Password 4 on Linux or simply use the 1Password Families and 1Password Teams web interface.

• Jakob
      Jakob says:

Its only about the browser compatibility.
      I dont really need the software it would be really cool when the browser plugin is compatible with 1password family.

I agree 100% – having full support for the 1Password browser extension on Linux would be really awesome. It is not something we’re actively working on at this moment but it’s certainly on our radar.

Hi Doug!

The latest version of 1Password 6 for Windows has support for our browser extension in Chrome and Firefox. You can download our extension from here:

1Password Browser Extensions

Once downloaded and installed you should be good to go. Just make sure you don’t have 1Password 4 installed at the same time as that will confuse things.

I hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes 🙂

• Doug Mason
      Doug Mason says:

I have 1password 4 and 6 installed. Do I need to uninstall 1password 4? I mainly kept 4 installed because for a time 6 seemed to not be able to edit 1password items saved in my drop box. I don’t think that is the case any more. Does the latest extension support being able to view/select items from different vaults? Several months back I purcahsed the 1password subscription but with the latest extension I don’t see any vaults listed from my .1password.com.

• Doug Mason
      Doug Mason says:

The one thing that I notice after installing the extension from the link you mention is that the version for this extension is 4.6.1.90. That would imply to me that its for 1password 4 but perhaps the version numbers of the app and extension are not related. Anyway, with 1password 6 installed I still can’t get the extension to function.

Hi Doug,

I know you’ve already got everything working but I thought I’d post a followup here for completeness and for anyone else who encounters a similar issue. The version of 1Password in the Windows Store does not have support for the browser extensions – you will need to download 1Password from here instead:

Download 1Password for Windows

Anyway, I’m glad you’re all set now. Take care,

6. Doug Mason
    Doug Mason says:

Like you mentioned that 1password 4 can’t be installed; I uninstalled 1password 4, uninstalled the chrome extension, rebooted my Windows 10 box and reinstalled the extension. I am running 1password 6.0.161u. After installing the extension and clicking on it, a new tab opens up saying, “Looking for the 1Password helper”. I do have 1password running. I know that 1password 4 came with the 1Password helper and I assume 6 has it as well.

Awesome! It’s great to hear you got things figured out, Doug. I’m sorry for the confusion, I should have included the download link in my original reply to you.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your Sunday 🙂

Thank you, Michael!

It’s so awesome to have amazing customers like you. Thank you so much for introducing 1Password to your colleagues! We live and breath by word of mouth so I’m very grateful for you doing this and allowing us to continue working on what we love. ❤️

7. Nick G
    Nick G says:

Is 1 Password 6 out for Windows 10? I don’t see it. Please let me know because I just switched from osx to windows 10 and I need to sync all my passwords with my iDevices still.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for asking! We released 1Password 6 for Windows last month and you can read more about it in our 1Password 6 for Windows announcement post.

I’m guessing you were looking in the Windows Store, which would explain why you couldn’t find our new release. We needed to temporarily removed 1Password 6 from the Windows Store as we had some technical issues to work through and hope to bring it back soon. You can download the latest version of 1Password for Windows from our downloads page.

Note that at this time 1Password 6 requires that you subscribe to one of our 1Password hosted services. You can read more about the benefits of this approach in the announcement post, one of the biggest being you can use 1Password on all your devices and your data will sync between them automatically.

Please let me know if there is anything you’d like me to elaborate on, and if I may ask you a question, I’m curios why switched from Mac to Windows. After watching the “Hello Again” event I’m more excited about the MacBook Pro than ever. I’m guessing you’re a Mac Pro guy? 🙂

• Nick G
      Nick G says:

Exactly that Dave! I made the switch because I am a pro user and need the power & performance for my work. I would prefer to continue in osx, but without updates to the mac pro line I am forced to switch. With all the new 4k content being produced, my 4-core iMac 5k can’t keep up with the rendering demands. My time is worth more than my os preference!

I’ve been using 1Password for a long time, so I really need it on windows. Thanks for the download links. Looks like I’ll have to switch to the 1Pass for families instead of my individual licenses, but I am happy to support you and your company.

Thank you for your support, Nick! ❤️

I hear you on the iMac and Mac Pro. Thankfully for me I was looking for a MacBook Pro update (and got a doozy of a surprise!) but I could totally see myself being upset had Apple only updated the iMac and didn’t say anything else.

With any luck you won’t need to wait much longer – maybe a combined iPad + Mac event in the Spring?

Anyway, enjoy your new machine! And if you have any further questions feel free to email us at support@1password.com.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• James
      James says:

“(and got a doozy of a surprise!)” Yeah right, geez you guys are fan-boys, I kid… ;-P

As a Long time MBP user I was pretty under-whelmed, we haven’t had a total overhaul since mid-2012, & that was all they could do. Apple has been uninteresting for quite some time now, “especially” outside Phone/Tablet. But even Phone/Tablet is dull/predictable, solid/evolutionary improvements, even the odd wow, but nothing hugely innovative from them for years. They’re too addicted to the fat profits, not interested in pushing boundaries any more.

I’m increasingly becoming more interested in what MS’s doing nowadays, especially on the hw front. The only thing that lets them down is the sw side; 3 steps forward, 2 steps back, & sometimes 3 or 4, tis often the way with MS on the OS/Ecosystem side, but getting there, kinda. It’s a long play, time will tell how the pieces come together, once one has an appreciation of the entire play-sheet, it becomes clear it’s a braver & more intriguing play than what we see Apple doing.

I can see Apple eventually ditching OSX (sorry MacOS) partially, & pushing their own SoC + iOS into the MacBook(Pro) segment, then the circle-jerk will have completed; “hugely innovative”, “revolution” will be the catch cries!

I’ll probably still get the MBP as my primary mobile workstation (very reluctantly, & with quite a healthy dose of bitterness), but I’m increasingly becoming invested in the MS camp too. I like their courage, they’ve had “real courage” in recent years, not Phil Schiller’s feigned courage (in relation to ditching the 3.5″ jack). Lots of cock-ups, & the MS of old still often rears its head, but something else is definitely coming out the other end, & it’s starting to look a damn site better than the MS of old!

Hi James,

I’m certainly a huge MacBook Pro fan – there’s no doubt about that whatsoever. I fell in love with my first Mac PowerBook just over 10 years ago and have never looked back ❤️ 🙂

Personally I think the Touch Bar is going to amazing and can’t wait to try it. I really don’t expect it to be a gimmick and see myself using it a lot. Of course time will tell and it’s hard for me to defend it when I haven’t even use one yet, so we’re just going to have to wait and see.

As for evolutionary improvements, I think we’d all love for Apple to be completely revolutionary with every product at every event, but that’s just not realistic. And I don’t think we’d be any happier in the long run to be honest as it would come at the cost of stability. If anything, I’d prefer they slow down a little bit and focus more on stability.

So as much as I was hoping for a 32 core A-10X processor during the Hello Again event, I’m quite happy with their iterative approach overall. We just need more Mac events than one every few years so the iterations can add up quicker 😉

• James
      James says:

“Personally I think the Touch Bar is going to amazing and can’t wait to try it. I really don’t expect it to be a gimmick and see myself using it a lot.”

I won’t be surprised if we see Surface_Books &/or Cousins w.a TouchBar of sorts before too long. I mean in a way that’s nicely integrated with the OS via API’s etc. As an addition to the already multi-touch/digitiser displays. We’ll prolly see digitisers (Ntrig/Wacom etc) being usable on MS’s touch-pad standard, too. Both will be powerful augmentations, but not complete substitutes for the current input methods, which are superior in many use-cases LT.

None of this will take ~5years, it will likely be less than that, the pace of hw innovation is just so much faster with MS & Partners nowadays. Then again it has to be, given their/Apple’s overarching plans, plus MS’ areas of weakness relative to Apple’s (& vice-versa).

Stability hasn’t been a major problem for Apple fw/sw for many years IMHO*, maybe from a dev POV there’s some issues w.a faster hw cadence, but from an end-user perspective the hw pace could def. be picked-up. And I think we WILL eventually see it pick-up markedly, thanks to them no longer totally owning segments (niche or otherwise) they once did -I refer only to ~12″+ devices ofc.

Thank God for MS & Others doing what Apple stubbornly refuses to do, I look forward to them sparking up again in ~several years, these things inevitably ebb & flow.

Best Regards.
      *the OS/fw/dvr being less capable/complex overall helps with that, but there’s ofc several other factors. Even OSX’s ecosystem is becoming less capable/complex, though there’s still some areas in which W10 def. has some ground to cover.

Good morning, Daniel! ☀️🙂

Thanks for letting me know about this broken link. 1Password 6 exited beta a few months ago and we updated some links at that time. You can now grab the official release from our downloads page, or sign up for the new beta here. I’ve updated the link above so others don’t get caught by the same issue that got you. 🙂

Thanks again for the report. I hope you enjoy the new release as much as we do!

Hello again Richard! Sorry I replied to your comments in the reverse order 🙂

It’s been a busy year for Windows as I outlined in my reply below, and indeed our Windows Christmas presents have all been for the hosted version of 1Password. I wish I could have made these presents available for everyone this year but it didn’t pan out that way. We will be addressing that in the future and I hope to have a blog post explaining where we’re at and where we’re headed in the New Year.

Take care and have yourself a wonderful Christmas as well as a Happy New Year!

8. Richard Colwill
    Richard Colwill says:

Sorry was my last posting too contentious? I was merely asking a polite if pointed question

Of course we are syncing via Dropbox or Wi-FI- it would have been a fairly pointless product to purchase the combined Mac and Win Licensing otherwise 6 years ago…

Or did so few of us buy that combo that you could probably list all our names anyways? in which case have the decency to tell us where we stand

Hey Richard,

Too contentious? No, not at all. We’re Canadian so you’d have to go a lot further than that to get us upset 🙂

Your comment didn’t appear immediately as I turned on comment moderation. It’s not ideal but it’s one of the best ways to combat spam so I’ve left it enabled despite it’s draw backs. Normally it’s not a big deal as I reply pretty quickly but with the holidays it’s been hard to keep up on everything.

As for your question about Windows and our plans there, we’re continuing to make progress on our plan to roll out our all-new 1Password release to all users. We started with Teams as this was the natural choice given that version 4 didn’t have any support for Teams and we’ll be expanding support from there.

The quote you grabbed from this post was from the summer, and you’ve probably seen our fall announcement when Windows Teams was officially launched. And since then we’ve had four more releases with many improvements and new features.

So there’s a lot going happening on the Windows side of the world, but as you say, this new version is not yet available for Dropbox and WLAN Sync users. These are things we’re planning for in the New Year. There are a few things that remain to round out the Teams features in 1Password 6 so expect to see a few more updates before support for licenses and alternative sync options are rolled out.

With all that said, if you want to jump on the version 6 bandwagon sooner, you can sign up to a 1Password account and import your existing data there. It’s by no means mandatory but I thought I should at least mention it.

Take care and enjoy your holidays! And have yourself a wonderful New Year! ❤️

You’re very welcome, Richard! And thank you for the well wishes. I’m working my way through a food “hangover” as I write this. I’m not normally one for a cleanse diet but after the huge amounts of food I’ve had this week I think it might be time to give it a go 🙂