Introducing our new 1Password subscription service — get 6 months free!

Today is a very exciting day in the world of passwords! We have not one, not two, but three(!) incredible things to announce:

1. An awesome new state-of-the-art hosted service to protect you and your data
  2. The most affordable way to purchase 1Password on all your devices
  3. A launch special that’s so amazing it’s kinda scary

Read on to see why this is the best time to try 1Password and start protecting yourself online. ?

A new, revolutionary hosted service

hosted-service

Earlier this year, we released two amazing new services: 1Password Families and 1Password Teams. Both rely on our new hosted platform to bring awesome new features that weren’t possible when 1Password was just a standalone app.

The response has been amazing and many of you asked for a special plan so you could also enjoy these benefits. We now have the perfect answer: our new service made for individuals!

Our new individual hosted service comes with everything you expect from 1Password, along with these new features:

• Built-in automatic sync across all devices
  • Data loss protection
  • Web access to your data on 1Password.com
  • Item History for restoring deleted or changed items
  • Secure Document storage
  • Brand new multi-factor security model

Using our new service provides the simplest and most feature-packed way to use 1Password. And with our new purchase option, it’s easier than ever to get started.

Our new super-affordable plan

To get the benefits of our new hosted service, you simply need to subscribe to our new plan on 1Password.com.

In addition to all the new features, the biggest benefit of a 1Password subscription is that you get all the 1Password apps for every platform, along with Pro Features, free updates, and free upgrades to every new version of 1Password.

One of the things people love most about our Families and Teams plans is not needing to worry about licenses or paid upgrades. And with our new plan for individuals, everyone can get in on the fun.

At just $2.99 a month, it’s the simplest and most affordable way to start using 1Password. See our pricing page for full details.

Oh, and our subscription service will never lock you in! You can cancel at any time and if your subscription ever lapses, you will still be able to view and export all your data.

An amazing (and scary!) launch special

1Password Accounts launch special

It’s no fun having a launch without having a special launch special so we went looking for one and we found a doozy!

Sign up today and receive your first 6 months free! No ifs, ands, or buts (or ads!). There’s no fine print and no strings attached. You don’t even need to add your credit card to get this amazing deal!

To get in on this incredible deal, all you need to do is sign up for an individual 1Password account before September 21st, 2016.

Sign up for your 1Password account now

Given how excited we are, you might be wondering why this is a little bit scary for us as well. The thing is, we’re a 100% customer-funded company and have refused to accept any venture capital money. As such it’s scary to give away our one and only product.

But we’re more excited than scared as we really want everyone to try out our new service and see how awesome it is. So sign up now, before Fall falls ?

Security and Privacy

Secure Foundation

We built 1Password from the start on a foundation of Security and Privacy, and our new 1Password accounts have once again taken things to the next level.

First and foremost, our end-to-end encryption security model ensures all your information is encrypted before it ever leaves your device. The encryption keys are only accessible to you so we are never able to decrypt any of your data.

Your Master Password (which only you know) is a key player in this encryption, but 1Password accounts also come with a new concept called the Account Key to make our encryption even stronger.

The Account Key is a randomly generated 128-bit key that is used in combination with your Master Password to encrypt your data using tamper-proof, authenticated 256 bit AES encryption.

Only you have your Account Key and like your Master Password it never leaves your devices. Along with your Master Password this ensures that no one but you will be able to access your 1Password data.

See our security page for details and all the things we did beyond just enabling TLS/SSL (we did that, too, by the way ?).

Great for new and long-time users alike

1Password Accounts - great for new and long-time users alike

If you know anyone who’s not practicing safe passwords, now is a great time to introduce them to 1Password!

Simply link your friends to the signup page and gently remind them how important it is to use strong, unique passwords for every site:

Sign up now and get 6 months free

If you are a long-time user but don’t own 1Password for all your devices, haven’t upgraded to the newest version, or if you want to take advantage of the new features in our hosted service, now’s the perfect time to sign up.

After signing up you’ll be able to easily migrate your existing data over to your new 1Password account. We have a great guide along with a video that walks you through the process.

This launch special is too good to leave running for long so I needed to pick a cutoff date. Be sure to sign up before September 21st to get this awesome deal!

I hope you and your friends love our new 1Password hosted service as much as we loved making it for you. ?

1. Dave Teare

While writing this post I included a few things in the early drafts that I removed during editing. I really wanted this post below 1000 words to keep things short and focused so I thought I’d use this first comment as a way to include a P.S. and a P.P.S ?

The first thing I wanted to touch on is licenses and how they are still available for purchase. As you’ve seen throughout this post, we’re super excited about our new subscription plans as they’ll make 1Password a better experience for most users.

With that said, we know that some of you have regional or corporate restrictions that require you to use a cloud-free solution. Others prefer configuring their own sync service or are simply happy with their current setup.

This is all great and you’re free to continue doing exactly what you’ve been doing. Our standalone license is still available for purchase and will continue to be supported, along with great updates to the apps.

At the end of the day, as long as you’re using 1Password to stay secure, the world will be a better place. Regardless if you decide to subscribe or purchase you’ll be rocking. ?

Next up, a few of you may have noticed that our website was updated to include the individual plan before this announcement went live. We needed some time to make sure all our ducks were in a row before pulling the trigger on this announcement.

If you signed up before our special launch special was announced, don’t worry, you will automatically get the 6 free months on your account. We wanted to make sure everyone was able to enjoy this treat! ??

Thank you again to everyone that have supported us for all these years. You make it possible for all of us to work on what we love everyday ❤️

• Rick
      Rick says:

Sorry for my bad English. (English is not my first language). I am glad that you will keep supporting Dropbox sync. without a monthly fee. As an owner of Mac and IOS apps of 1P I understand that security an development take time/money. I’ve experienced multiple ‘forced’ migrations to monthly fee programs (like Adobe did on their software: you spend thousands of dollars on their stand alone software. Now this standalone software doesn’t upgrade anymore and the only way forward is monthly fees 8-(.

I would gladly pay for a stand alone upgrade, for hard work on a good upgrade, than forced monthly fees. Imagine an era where all of you’re software has to be paid monthly. I’m glad that this news sounds different. But I stay curious because I had comforting promisses before from other suppliers 8-)

• nik
      nik says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Rick. Your English is great! I’m happy that you’re happy with your current 1Password setup. We really appreciate your support. =)

• Barbara
      Barbara says:

I bought this app way, way back when it was about 18.00, I think, and have it on my iPad and iPhone. Am I now being forced to pay for this again in the way of a subscription?

• nik
      nik says:

Hi, Barbara! Thanks for reading our blog and for your long-time support. Our new 1Password subscription service is a great value for many reasons, not the least of which is that it includes all application upgrades. That said, it’s completely optional. If you’re happy with what you’ve got, that’s great. Please keep using it just as you’ve been using it. =)

Hi Dorian,

Just to be clear, nothing has changed with respect to licenses. 1Password licenses have always been for the current major version of 1Password, along with free “minor” updates. When new major versions of 1Password are released you need to upgrade your license in order to use the new version. Of course you’re free to continue using the old version as upgrading is completely voluntary.

I hope that helps clear things up. Take care and and enjoy the rest of your weekend ?

• mensbona
      mensbona says:

Dave:-

I want to be certain that the passwords that exist already in the version I already have, since 2014, will still exist and be migrated into my new subscription plan. I know that the security aspect will still exist, but I want to make certain that, once I do subscribe, there will be no surprises. I am an old man and already have enough aggravation and other confusions in my life. You did already reply to a comment, but the answer was a bit oblique and I want to be certain about the answer to this concern.

Also, will there be access to a manual that will help an old fool like me set up everything correctly? Such a manual, or help telephone number, should be helpful to everyone.

I thank you for your good communication and program and I look forward to our continued association.

Hi mensbona,

I think it might help walk through exactly what’s going to happen when you create a 1Password account. Simply creating an account does not automatically replace anything that you currently have. Your account stays completely separate from your existing vaults. After creating your new account you will then need to manually move or copy your existing items over into.

Given your concerns, I would suggest that you create your account, add it to 1Password, and then copy your items from your local vault into your new vault. That way you’re free to go back to the old way of doing things if you get stuck on anything. Sometimes just knowing that you can go back if you want to helps alleviate any would be stress and aggravation ?

We show something very similar to this process in this guide:

The video there walks you through the process from the point of view of a family but the concepts and steps are very similar for individual accounts. When you see the part of moving the items, simply select Copy instead. After you’re sure you’re happy with the new setup you can remove the old local vaults.

As for a manual, we have tons of documentation but I think what I linked to above is the most relevant. For the most part most of the 1Password features will continue to work the same as they always have so you should be happy ?

Please give it a go and see how it goes. We’re standing by with any questions you may have.

• joan
      joan says:

Dave, when you launched 1Pass for Families the introductory special was 2 gigs….which almost made me buy it although I’m an individual. Would you consider matching that offer with your individual accounts for all who sign up today or (even better) during the first week (for people who do not check their email daily). If so that would be wonderful!

Hi Joan,

You’re right, when Families launched it was for 2 gigabytes for the entire family account. For individuals it is a single gigabyte.

I’m pretty happy with our special launch special as it’s an incredible value already. So no, I’m not going to be able to sweeten the deal any further. We’re already giving away a ton ?

Take care and enjoy the rest of your week!

Hi Alan,

Thanks for reaching out and giving me a chance to clear up the confusion. The $9.99 purchase on iOS (and the separate purchase on Android) allows you to use the Pro Features. For Mac and Windows, you need to a separate license to use 1Password there.

With our new subscription service you get to use 1Password on all platforms and receive all updates and upgrades for free.

In addition to the simpler payment and not needing to worry about licenses, our new service gives you online access to your data from any web browser, Item History, automatic syncing to all your devices, and built in data loss protection.

I hope that helps clear things up! Please let me know ?

• Bertrand
      Bertrand says:

Hi, I am wondering how moving to individual account increases the overall security of my current setup (sync over dropbox across iOS/macOS machines).
      Cheers,
      Bertrand

Thank you for the wonderful question, Bertrand!

It really is a great question! So much so I’m trying hard to decide how best to answer it. I could give a quick and high-level answer, or I could easily write an essay! ?

Let me wave my hands a bit and just say that we took everything we learned from developing a secure sync solution with Dropbox and then took it to the next level in our hosted service.

That’s the easiest answer at the highest level, but it’s not very satisfying, is it? So please allow me to elaborate and write that mini-essay I mentioned earlier ?

So first things first, your Master Password still plays a pivotal role within our new service. All your data is encrypted using authenticated AES-256 bit encryption before it ever leaves your device. And by using the modern GCM (Galois/Counter Mode) mode encryption things are faster than ever.

Now as great as the Master Password is, we wanted to go further so we introduced a unique feature called the Account Key. This is a unique key that is generated for every 1Password account and it is used in conjunction with your Master Password to derive an encryption key locally on your device (be it web browser or native app), and this key is used to decrypt your information. Neither your Master Password or Account Key, nor the encryption key and decrypted information ever leave your device.

The Account Key is basically a second factor that is included within the encryption process itself, so it cannot be evaded, intercepted, or reset. This is why we often refer to the Account Key as being Better Than Two Factor ?

Another key difference between 1Password accounts and Dropbox is how we use SRP (Secure Remote Password) in addition to TLS/SSL and the encryption of your data (in total your data is encrypted three separate times with three separate keys during transport). In addition to providing a secure mechanism to communicate even in the event of an TLS/SSL failure, SRP has the awesome benefit of allowing the clients themselves to verify they have connected to the right server and not some rogue device.

There’s a ton of other things we do as well that I completely glossed over in that description. Things like how we use PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA256 to strengthen your Master Password even further, KMS Hardware Encryption, WebCrypto, and many other things that I really don’t want to write about here as my wrists are too sore to type that much!

Thankfully our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts, the one and only Jeff Goldberg, wrote an awesome White Paper that goes into great detail on all of these things. Here it is if you love this stuff as much as I do:

And don’t worry, this isn’t your typical boring White Paper – Jeff did a great job keeping things fun and entertaining while being super educational.

I hope you like it. We always love talking about this stuff so please let us know what you think! ?

Hi Neville,

Your Emergency Kit is given to you when you create your account. It’s likely sitting in your Downloads folder if you haven’t reset your browser. You can also download a fresh copy of it from your profile page.

You can find more details here:

I hope that helps! Please let me know ?

• davidatswans
      davidatswans says:

Dave, my best friend has been raving about 1Password for several years but I was already using LastPass. I just sent him an email asking if 1Password had a 6 month free trial. After sending it, I jumped to your site and learned that my buddy had let me down by not forwarding your email announcing the new subscription service with a six month free trial. Argh! Is there any way I can get in on that 6 month free trial even though I missed the September deadline?

Hi David,

Your best friend sounds like a very good friend indeed! He certainly has excellent taste in software ?

Regarding the 6 free months, you are indeed late to the party here as our special launch special ended quite a while ago.

On the bright side, you can sign up today and take advantage of our trial – you are able to use 1Password for a full month before you need to make any commitments. That should give you plenty of time to learn why your friend raves about 1Password as much as he does ?

Please let your friend know that we love him and his passion for keeping his friends safe. ❤️

• Linda Berkowicz
      Linda Berkowicz says:

Dave, I have been using 1P for years and am VERY confused. I can not get it on one of my computers (an older MacBook Pro that runs Yosemite 10.10.5) It runs on all the rest of my devices and from time to time I have paid for an upgrade as instructed. Suddenly, I am at a loss…VERY Lost without it. Please tell me what to do? Do I now need to subscribe in order to get 1P onto another of my machines? HELP

Hi Linda,

Thanks for reaching out and giving me a chance to help ?

So first things first, how are you syncing your data between all your devices? I’m guessing you’re using Dropbox or maybe iCloud? Assuming so, all you need to do is select “Find your data” during setup on your Mac. Once 1Password knows which data you want to use it will configure itself appropriately and bring in all your data.

Regarding subscribing, you’re more than welcome to subscribe to our new hosted service to get the the additional features outlined in this post. Once you get everything setup on your new mac you can take a look through this blog post and sign up if you wish to.

I hope that helps. Please give it a go and let us know how it turns out.

Hi Josh!

This announcement was posted in 2016 so I’m afraid to say you’ve missed the early bird by a wee bit more than a single day. 😃

Given how far past the early bird special we are now I won’t be able to extend it for you. With that said, you can email us at sales@1password.com and depending on how recently you purchased your 1Password license we may be able to meet you in the middle.

2. @Gehirnfussel
    @Gehirnfussel says:

Hi there,
    Should I begin to worry about the “old model” apps and syncing system? Will the old apps die over the next year(s) and only the cloud-service will be left?

I do not have any plans to be a member in your cloud-system and I like to keep my files for me.

I am a happy customer with your apps on my all devices, but I guess (like some other security-concerned users) will change my password-platform, if this day will arrive.

Best regards,

Jan

Hi Jan,

You’re free to keep on doing exactly what you’ve been doing. You’re doing fine and we don’t want to disrupt a workflow that is obviously working great for you.

We’re still selling licenses and we will continue to update the apps for everyone. The only caveat is some of the new features rely on our hosted service and those won’t be available. Just like things like cloudless sync is only an option within the standalone version of 1Password.

Thanks for stopping by! It’s always great to hear from a happy customer, and thank you for sharing with us what’s important to you ?

• Cla
      Cla says:

Thank you for this input. My concerns were the same – and thx to Agilebits, that the standalone version with WLAN-sync will be kept.

Awesome! I’m glad I could help, Cla! It’s always great to be able to answer a question with a single response ? ⛳️

Take care and continue to enjoy your WLAN sync!

3. Filip
    Filip says:

Yeah it is great, but I am waiting several month for working windows 7 apps with families.
    Really it wil be great if you will be hard working on that.
    Without working windows 7 app & browser extension it is not useful.
    And suggestion as copy+paste is really bad joke!

• Gary
      Gary says:

I don’t think they care about their Windows users. The app has always been behind its iOS/macOS counterparts. Don’t hold your breath.

Hi Filip!

You’re right, we should be working hard on Windows, and we are. Sergey and his team are pushing things right along and the beta has been looking really good lately. I’m not at liberty to share any of the Windows team’s great news just yet but I can share that Mohamed shared a screenshot with me earlier this week that I think you’ll be excited about ?

I’m sure you know but for anyone else reading along, we have a brand new 1Password app for Windows that’s currently in beta testing and it has full support for 1Password Teams, 1Password Families, as well as our new individual service that we just announced. You can find more details in our announcement post here:

1Password beta for Windows

With any luck you’ll hear me making some noise about this new release here shortly ?

Hi Michael,

Great question! ?

In theory we can allow you to switch but it is not that simple as Families comes with a lot of extra features that are not available in the individual plan. We have to be careful to make sure none of these settings are accidentally lost during any migration.

Because of this complication we currently allow you to go from an individual plan to a family one but it’s not yet possible to go the other way. This is something we’re working on and will hopefully roll out in the coming weeks.

Cheers!

• Armaan
      Armaan says:

i was just about to send off an email to customer support asking this. Good thing I decided to read through the comments before hitting send!

Hopefully you guys find a way to allow a “downgrade” like this. I don’t have a family and so am the only user in my families account, and it’s be nice to save a bit of money annually :)

Thank you, Armaan! As much as we love hearing from customers, it’s nice to have one less email on launch week ?

I don’t have a launch day for you but I can say that our team is actively working on this so I’m hoping you don’t need to wait long. It will be available in your Family Settings page, found in the main navigation menu after you log in on 1Password.com. I suggest checking there late next week, and if it’s not there, check again the following week. I’ll try to update this comment thread when it’s available but thought I should mention this just incase I forget ?

• Amy
      Amy says:

Thanks for your reply, Dave. Please let us know when this is available. I am coming to the end of the trial phase for 1Password for Families. I began testing this before the individual plan was announced and I didn’t want to purchase something separate for each device I own. 1Password for individuals is perfect for me.

Awesome! It’s great to hear you found what you needed, Amy.

Best of luck with everything and next time I will try to reply even faster so I can answer your question before you answer your own ?

4. OGenius
    OGenius says:

Great news @Dave ! Can’t wait to test this new subscription of 1Password and share the good news! It’s definitely time to join the plan with the family ;)

Thank you! I’m happy that you’re happy! ?

Let’s both agree to stay happy and keep each other happy! ?

Hello,

I just answered Michael’s exact same question above, so if you don’t mind, I’m going to quote my answer here to help reduce the stress on my wrists. RSI is not something to mess with! ?

I hope that helps!

Hi Frank,

We do not have an educational discount for the individual plan but we do have an awesome 50% discount for educational organizations that sign up to 1Password Teams that might be of interest to you. In addition to all the features discussed within this post you’ll also get extra tools to help you manage your team and securely share information. You can find more information about this on our Teams pricing page.

I hope that helps.

5. Andrew
    Andrew says:

Hi Dave. Could you comment on how the master password comes into play on the web console? I’m super excited for that but I can’t help but remember the LastPass breach. Will the vaults still be encrypted with the Master Password?

Hi Andrew,

This is a wonderful question! Now the thing is, I’m not sure how best to answer it. On the one hand I want to give a quick and easy answer. On the other hand I want to write an essay! ?

Let me wave my hands a bit and just say that your Master Password is used along with your Account Key to derive an encryption key locally on your device (be it web browser or native app), and this key is used to decrypt your information. Neither your Master Password or Account Key, nor the encryption key and decrypted information ever leave your device.

There’s a ton of things I completely glossed over in that description. Things like how we use Secure Remote Password (in total your data is encrypted 3 separate times while in transport), PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA256 to strengthen your Master Password even further, KMS Hardware Encryption, WebCrypto, and algorithm choices.

And don’t worry, this isn’t your typical boring White Paper – Jeff did a great keeping things fun and entertaining while being super educational.

Hi Andrew,

Great question! I’d be happy to help you with that ?

I think the best place to start is with this article from our knowledgebase:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

There’s a great video there and I suggest you start with that and in 3 minutes you’ll be a pro! Note that the video there is technically for a Family account, but the process is identical for the individual plan.

I hope that helps!