Introducing our new 1Password subscription service — get 6 months free!

Today is a very exciting day in the world of passwords! We have not one, not two, but three(!) incredible things to announce:

1. An awesome new state-of-the-art hosted service to protect you and your data
  2. The most affordable way to purchase 1Password on all your devices
  3. A launch special that’s so amazing it’s kinda scary

Read on to see why this is the best time to try 1Password and start protecting yourself online. ?

A new, revolutionary hosted service

hosted-service

Earlier this year, we released two amazing new services: 1Password Families and 1Password Teams. Both rely on our new hosted platform to bring awesome new features that weren’t possible when 1Password was just a standalone app.

The response has been amazing and many of you asked for a special plan so you could also enjoy these benefits. We now have the perfect answer: our new service made for individuals!

Our new individual hosted service comes with everything you expect from 1Password, along with these new features:

• Built-in automatic sync across all devices
  • Data loss protection
  • Web access to your data on 1Password.com
  • Item History for restoring deleted or changed items
  • Secure Document storage
  • Brand new multi-factor security model

Using our new service provides the simplest and most feature-packed way to use 1Password. And with our new purchase option, it’s easier than ever to get started.

Our new super-affordable plan

To get the benefits of our new hosted service, you simply need to subscribe to our new plan on 1Password.com.

In addition to all the new features, the biggest benefit of a 1Password subscription is that you get all the 1Password apps for every platform, along with Pro Features, free updates, and free upgrades to every new version of 1Password.

One of the things people love most about our Families and Teams plans is not needing to worry about licenses or paid upgrades. And with our new plan for individuals, everyone can get in on the fun.

At just $2.99 a month, it’s the simplest and most affordable way to start using 1Password. See our pricing page for full details.

Oh, and our subscription service will never lock you in! You can cancel at any time and if your subscription ever lapses, you will still be able to view and export all your data.

An amazing (and scary!) launch special

1Password Accounts launch special

It’s no fun having a launch without having a special launch special so we went looking for one and we found a doozy!

Sign up today and receive your first 6 months free! No ifs, ands, or buts (or ads!). There’s no fine print and no strings attached. You don’t even need to add your credit card to get this amazing deal!

To get in on this incredible deal, all you need to do is sign up for an individual 1Password account before September 21st, 2016.

Sign up for your 1Password account now

Given how excited we are, you might be wondering why this is a little bit scary for us as well. The thing is, we’re a 100% customer-funded company and have refused to accept any venture capital money. As such it’s scary to give away our one and only product.

But we’re more excited than scared as we really want everyone to try out our new service and see how awesome it is. So sign up now, before Fall falls ?

Security and Privacy

Secure Foundation

We built 1Password from the start on a foundation of Security and Privacy, and our new 1Password accounts have once again taken things to the next level.

First and foremost, our end-to-end encryption security model ensures all your information is encrypted before it ever leaves your device. The encryption keys are only accessible to you so we are never able to decrypt any of your data.

Your Master Password (which only you know) is a key player in this encryption, but 1Password accounts also come with a new concept called the Account Key to make our encryption even stronger.

The Account Key is a randomly generated 128-bit key that is used in combination with your Master Password to encrypt your data using tamper-proof, authenticated 256 bit AES encryption.

Only you have your Account Key and like your Master Password it never leaves your devices. Along with your Master Password this ensures that no one but you will be able to access your 1Password data.

See our security page for details and all the things we did beyond just enabling TLS/SSL (we did that, too, by the way ?).

Great for new and long-time users alike

1Password Accounts - great for new and long-time users alike

If you know anyone who’s not practicing safe passwords, now is a great time to introduce them to 1Password!

Simply link your friends to the signup page and gently remind them how important it is to use strong, unique passwords for every site:

Sign up now and get 6 months free

If you are a long-time user but don’t own 1Password for all your devices, haven’t upgraded to the newest version, or if you want to take advantage of the new features in our hosted service, now’s the perfect time to sign up.

After signing up you’ll be able to easily migrate your existing data over to your new 1Password account. We have a great guide along with a video that walks you through the process.

This launch special is too good to leave running for long so I needed to pick a cutoff date. Be sure to sign up before September 21st to get this awesome deal!

I hope you and your friends love our new 1Password hosted service as much as we loved making it for you. ?

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Henry
    Henry says:

Hey this is great! So does this enable 1password to work on ChromeOS devices now, or is that in your roadmap at all?

Hi Henry,

Oh this is such an amazing question! It’s a great observation and you’re right, it should now be possible to support ChromeOS.

To make this happen there is a lot of work to do as this will not be a trivial change to the 1Password extension, so I don’t want to get your hopes up for an announcement any time soon. With that said, this is on our radar and I think it would make an excellent addition to 1Password.

As soon as I’m allowed to I’ll make some noise about it here ?

2. Fede777
    Fede777 says:

Hi, 2 questions, I signed up but only got 30 days free, how can I get the additional 6 months?

Second, right now I use 1P only on my iPhone and Sync to Dropbox, how can I make that available on the web app?

Hello Fede!

You should have automatically received the 6 free months. I wonder, did you sign up before this post was announced? We had the new plan available on the site for a short time before hand so we could make sure all our ducks were in a row before I hit publish on this post.

If that’s the case we’ll be automatically giving you the 6 months free and it should appear within your Billing page by the end of the week.

As for your second question, I see you from your second comment below that you found you can move the items over from your current vaults to your new hosted ones. In case you didn’t see it, here’s an article on the process:

Unfortunately this is indeed not as easy on iOS as we would like. At the moment you do need to move each item individually. We hope to make this much easier in a future update to the iOS app.

I hope that helps!

3. jmush (@jmush)
    jmush (@jmush) says:

Dave, in response to your reply: “In theory we can allow you to switch but it is not that simple as Families comes with a lot of extra features that are not available in the individual plan. We have to be careful to make sure none of these settings are accidentally lost during any migration.

Because of this complication we currently allow you to go from an individual plan to a family one but it’s not yet possible to go the other way. This is something we’re working on and will hopefully roll out in the coming weeks.”

Totally understand that, but my free trial of Familes expires Aug 12, which means I will get charged in full for Families before being able to convert to Individual.

Thanks for the update!

So you have a couple of options. One, you can give use another week and see if we have this completed by then. In theory we can have this sorted by then but I can’t make any promises due to those potential complications we talked about.

The other option is to create a new account and move your data over by following this guide:

It’s more work but if you’re worried it might be best just to go ahead and do it now so you don’t lose any sleep at night ?

Great question! Thanks for asking ?

Yes, absolutely, you’d be able to switch back. I suggest what you do is keep your existing vaults on your local machine and don’t delete them just so you can switch back without any worries. If you do end up using the subscription for a while and then change your mind, you’d want to create a new local vault and then move your latest and greatest data from your online vaults there.

This guide shows you how to move items around between vaults:

Note that this shows you how to move items to our new service, but you can follow a similar process to move items back out and into a local vault.

I hope this helps. Please let me know ?

4. Fede777
    Fede777 says:

Well, I just tried a bit, and since I don’t have a Mac, it’s kinda difficult to Copy every item one by one.

Also I noticed that attachments such as credit card photos, generate separate new items. And I didn’t find a way to delete your account in case I wanted to.

Hello again Fede,

I talked about this in my first reply to you, but for completeness I thought I’d repeat it here ? Unfortunately the process to move items on iOS is more manual than I would like. At the moment you need to move each individual item. We hope to make this much easier in a future update to the iOS app.

As for the attachments, I’m a little bit confused as you mentioned that you are on iOS only and attachments can only be added on the Desktop. If you have a Mac or Windows device you’re syncing with you can move your items in bulk from one vault to the other. It will make things much easier for moving to the new setup.

As for the items that get created, that’s correct, each attachment will become a separate Document that will be linked from your item. We’ve had some feedback on this that the original way we presented attachments was better and we have some ideas to make things better here. In a future update you’ll see something more akin to what you’re used to.

As for deleting the account, you can remove the account from your iOS device and we’ll automatically remove all your local vaults. If you want to delete the entire account from our servers, this is actually possible in Teams and Families but we haven’t exposed the option to individual subscribers yet. This should be rolled out on the web site in the next few weeks or so.

I hope that helps! Please let me know :)

P.S. it’s easiest if you click Reply on your original post so we can keep our conversation all in one place.

• Fede777
      Fede777 says:

Ok, a couple things, I do have the Windows app, which I only use to add pictures as attachments.

I’m gonna look a bit further on how to migrate all at once, from there.

As for the trial, I used the link from here. Is there any way to redeem the other 6 months?

• Ken
      Ken says:

Hello there!
      I also would like to try the new service. Unfortunately in my new account/Billing just the 30-day trial is shown. What do I have to do to get the 6 months?
      Thank you for your service!

• nik
      nik says:

Hi, Ken, thanks for signing up for your 1Password account! Did you use the sign-up link in Dave’s post? The six months should be credited to you automatically. If you don’t see that you have 180-something days left in your free trial, drop us a line at support at 1password dot com and we’ll help you get it sorted.

5. Revoliño
    Revoliño says:

Hi there,

This was exactly the plan I was waiting for!
    I was using 1Password Families because there wasn’t anything similar.
    I signed up for the individuals plan but now I want to export / import my personal vault I was using with my Families subscription, is this possible?
    I cannot find an export function within the webportal and the beta version of 1Password for Windows.

Thanks!

Hi Revoliño,

I’m excited that you’re excited! I’m glad we were able to give you exactly what you wanted ?

You kinda jumped the gun as we are planning on rolling out the ability to switch from Families to our new individual plan so we could have saved you some trouble ?

Now that you’ve created a new account, you might as well finish the process and simply move your data from one vault to the other. We have a guide on how to do that here:

I hope that helps! Give it a go and let us know how it goes.

6. Shirley
    Shirley says:

Hi Dave, great to see the progress 1Password has made over time, the team have done a fantastic job, thanks! I just want to clarify things before I jump in and sign up for the new Individual Plan:

I currently use 1PW on my Mac and Android phone. I have just bought a Windows laptop and currently running the trial version of 1PW on it. I want to have 1PW on my Mac, Windows and Android with the new hosted service, so when I sign up, do I have to install a new 1PW app on these devices? If not, how do I get the Windows App from trial to full version if you don’t use license keys with the hosted service?

Also, I’m just a bit confused by the video and copying or moving everything from the vault to online. I want to carry on using the app and browser extension – is that still an option with the hosted service?

Many thanks!

Hi Shirley! It’s great to hear from you again ?

On Mac and Android I think you’re all set already for using our new hosted service. As long as you have the latest versions you should be A-OK. On Windows, you’ll need to grab our brand new beta, which you can find in your Get The Apps page. You can get to this page from the main navigation menu after you login on 1Password.com. It will be best to do this on your Windows device itself.

I suggest you start by getting your data moved over on Mac first and then wiring things up on Android. Once you’re good there, loop back to the Windows side of things. It’s pretty straightforward but I’d like you to get one thing working before moving on to the next ?

So about moving your items – what you will be doing is taking a copy of your data from your current locally managed vaults and placing them into your new Personal vault which will automatically be available on all your devices. On your local machine you’ll basically have a new vault that you can add items to.

You will absolutely be able to continue using the apps and the browser extension after moving your data. In terms of day to day usage, very little will change for you so you’ll be able to continue doing exactly what you’ve been doing.

I’m not sure if I answered all your questions but I think I moved the ball forward a ways so feel free to play a bit and then pass it back to me and I’ll see what I can do ? ⚽️

Cheers!

• Shirley
      Shirley says:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for all the info you provided, much appreciated. I hesitated for a few days as I couldn’t get my head around what I needed to do, but there was no need to! I very impressed as to how easy it was to get the account set up and make the necessary changes on my Mac! I downloaded the Windows app and logged into the account without any problems, within seconds, all my items appeared in the personal vault. I took the plunge and went ahead with my Android app, and it was just as easy once I figured out i needed to set up a new account. All done and dusted, and it was straight-forward!

Thank you very much for the 6 months free subscription that is a very welcome treat :) Thank you to you and the team for this fantastic software developments – give a big thumbs up to everyone from me :)

Shirley

Oh Shirley, I love you! ❤️ You made my day! ?

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. It’s awesome to hear the good parts, and I appreciate you sharing the stumbling block on Android as well as it gives us a chance to make things even better.

Thanks again for sharing and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

7. Eric
    Eric says:

It is a tab bit annoying you want a photo in my profile, but reject anything larger than 1 meg. I’m a pro photographer. All of my photos are bigger! :-)

First world problem.

I was a bit worried that my employer’s firewall would black access to the vault. But no problem at all. So it’s full stream ahead for me. I’m not a big fan of subscriptions, but this one is done well.

Hi Eric!

You have me laughing here! I too love the phrase “first world problem” as it helps me keep life in perspective ?

You’re totally right about uploading images larger than a meg. You’re incredibly handsome and so you shouldn’t be limited to such a small canvas. We’ll get that updated but for now you’re going to have resize things locally before uploading your masterpiece ?

It’s great to hear your employer’s firewall didn’t get you and you’re moving forward at full steam! It was fun talking with you – thanks for stopping by! ?

8. Spencer Hudson
    Spencer Hudson says:

OK. I signed up for an account; downloaded the Windows Password 6 program, transferred the data from Password 4 to Password 6, and signed into my new account on my phone. All seemed to go OK. Three questions: (1) how do I get my FireFox on Windows extension to use the new account; (2) when and how do I deactivate syncing to dropbox; and (3) when is it safe to delete Password 4 from my laptop?

Hi Spencer!

It’s great to hear you’ve gotten so far. Let’s see if I can help with the remaining few steps you have left ?

First let me start with the bad news and say the full Firefox extension is not yet wired up in the Windows beta. The not-so-bad news is you should be able to do filling right now for sites where you only have one login saved by using the Control-\ key. If this isn’t happening for you, make sure 1Password 4 is not running and make sure 1Password 6 is open and unlocked.

Sergey and his development team have some great updates coming soon for the extension to add in more of the features you’re used to. Hopefully the hotkey can get you by until then.

As for when to deactivate Dropbox syncing and deleting 1Password 4 from your laptop, you can probably do so right now but I would suggest not doing anything until you are certain everything is running smoothly with your new setup. You can stop using 1Password 4 entirely but I would give it a week or two to make sure you’ll happy before taking the next step.

I hope that helps. Please let me know ?

• Spencer Hudson
      Spencer Hudson says:

I am confused about the concept of the account key. I just logged into my account at my.1password.com and needed to enter both the account key and my password. My password is highly secure, long, but easily memorable. There’s no way that I’m going to memorize the 40 random character account key, so will need to keep a copy of the “emergency kit” on my laptop (and maybe my phone). How is that more secure than other methods of 2FA?

• Spencer Hudson
      Spencer Hudson says:

I meant to enter this as a new comment. Sorry for the double post.

• Spencer Hudson
      Spencer Hudson says:

Thanks for your quick reply. That work around seems to be working for logins, but not for identities or credit cards.

• Roustem Karimov (@roustem)
      Roustem Karimov (@roustem) says:

Hi Spencer,

Thank you for your question about the Account Key. It is combined with your master password and provides an additional 128-bits of protection to your data.

The strong master password is important but it is very difficult to have it completely random. Since your data is sent to our servers, we wanted to make sure that it is absolutely secure and undecipherable by anyone except the owner. When combined with the Account Key, the data is protected even from the most sophisticated attacks.

There is no need to memorize the emergency kit, you can keep it on your laptop and iPhone. The account key adds an extra barrier that makes sure that there is no way to recover data obtained from the cloud.

Roustem

9. becca shayne
    becca shayne says:

Hi, if I already paid for and purchased the $50 Mac App from the App Store a several years ago, can I keep owning that or do I have to start paying monthly fees? Thanks!

• Amro
      Amro says:

I second this question. I paid for the Mac/Windows bundle ($70), and am absolutely loving it. But it looks as if you’re future development will be on this new “hosted service” model and the old one will wither and die. While I don’t object to a monthly fee for such a fine product, I’m wondering why I should be inclined to continue this when I was led to believe my $70 would keep me updated with the latest 1Password features.

Hi Becca!

You’re doing A-OK and can keep rocking exactly the way you have been up until now! ?

Switching to the new subscription service is completely voluntary so you’re free to continue using your license as long as you want.

Oh, and thank you for supporting us! We really wouldn’t be here without you! ❤️

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »