Introducing our new 1Password subscription service — get 6 months free!

Today is a very exciting day in the world of passwords! We have not one, not two, but three(!) incredible things to announce:

1. An awesome new state-of-the-art hosted service to protect you and your data
  2. The most affordable way to purchase 1Password on all your devices
  3. A launch special that’s so amazing it’s kinda scary

Read on to see why this is the best time to try 1Password and start protecting yourself online. ?

A new, revolutionary hosted service

hosted-service

Earlier this year, we released two amazing new services: 1Password Families and 1Password Teams. Both rely on our new hosted platform to bring awesome new features that weren’t possible when 1Password was just a standalone app.

The response has been amazing and many of you asked for a special plan so you could also enjoy these benefits. We now have the perfect answer: our new service made for individuals!

Our new individual hosted service comes with everything you expect from 1Password, along with these new features:

• Built-in automatic sync across all devices
  • Data loss protection
  • Web access to your data on 1Password.com
  • Item History for restoring deleted or changed items
  • Secure Document storage
  • Brand new multi-factor security model

Using our new service provides the simplest and most feature-packed way to use 1Password. And with our new purchase option, it’s easier than ever to get started.

Our new super-affordable plan

To get the benefits of our new hosted service, you simply need to subscribe to our new plan on 1Password.com.

In addition to all the new features, the biggest benefit of a 1Password subscription is that you get all the 1Password apps for every platform, along with Pro Features, free updates, and free upgrades to every new version of 1Password.

One of the things people love most about our Families and Teams plans is not needing to worry about licenses or paid upgrades. And with our new plan for individuals, everyone can get in on the fun.

At just $2.99 a month, it’s the simplest and most affordable way to start using 1Password. See our pricing page for full details.

Oh, and our subscription service will never lock you in! You can cancel at any time and if your subscription ever lapses, you will still be able to view and export all your data.

An amazing (and scary!) launch special

1Password Accounts launch special

It’s no fun having a launch without having a special launch special so we went looking for one and we found a doozy!

Sign up today and receive your first 6 months free! No ifs, ands, or buts (or ads!). There’s no fine print and no strings attached. You don’t even need to add your credit card to get this amazing deal!

To get in on this incredible deal, all you need to do is sign up for an individual 1Password account before September 21st, 2016.

Sign up for your 1Password account now

Given how excited we are, you might be wondering why this is a little bit scary for us as well. The thing is, we’re a 100% customer-funded company and have refused to accept any venture capital money. As such it’s scary to give away our one and only product.

But we’re more excited than scared as we really want everyone to try out our new service and see how awesome it is. So sign up now, before Fall falls ?

Security and Privacy

Secure Foundation

We built 1Password from the start on a foundation of Security and Privacy, and our new 1Password accounts have once again taken things to the next level.

First and foremost, our end-to-end encryption security model ensures all your information is encrypted before it ever leaves your device. The encryption keys are only accessible to you so we are never able to decrypt any of your data.

Your Master Password (which only you know) is a key player in this encryption, but 1Password accounts also come with a new concept called the Account Key to make our encryption even stronger.

The Account Key is a randomly generated 128-bit key that is used in combination with your Master Password to encrypt your data using tamper-proof, authenticated 256 bit AES encryption.

Only you have your Account Key and like your Master Password it never leaves your devices. Along with your Master Password this ensures that no one but you will be able to access your 1Password data.

See our security page for details and all the things we did beyond just enabling TLS/SSL (we did that, too, by the way ?).

Great for new and long-time users alike

1Password Accounts - great for new and long-time users alike

If you know anyone who’s not practicing safe passwords, now is a great time to introduce them to 1Password!

Simply link your friends to the signup page and gently remind them how important it is to use strong, unique passwords for every site:

Sign up now and get 6 months free

If you are a long-time user but don’t own 1Password for all your devices, haven’t upgraded to the newest version, or if you want to take advantage of the new features in our hosted service, now’s the perfect time to sign up.

After signing up you’ll be able to easily migrate your existing data over to your new 1Password account. We have a great guide along with a video that walks you through the process.

This launch special is too good to leave running for long so I needed to pick a cutoff date. Be sure to sign up before September 21st to get this awesome deal!

I hope you and your friends love our new 1Password hosted service as much as we loved making it for you. ?

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Mike
    Mike says:

What if you want to go back to the app purchase after the 6 months trial? Is that the same way as moving from app to service.

• Chris De Jabet
      Chris De Jabet says:

Hey Mike,

Yes, you basically just go the reverse way by selecting the items in your 1Password account vaults and selecting the Primary vault as the move destination. Currently the only hiccup in that is converting Documents back into attachments. You’ll need to manually re-attach all your attachments. We’re looking into how to best solve that. While I can’t promise it, we hope that won’t be a problem come 6 months from now.

Ideally, though, you won’t ever need to move your items around again. ❤️

2. Eric
    Eric says:

I was going to go with the family plan, but I don’t need five, I want to add one single other person. But the price is just too much for adding one person.

• Chris De Jabet
      Chris De Jabet says:

Hey Eric,

I still think you’d best be served with 1Password Families, even if it is only two of you. While it supports up to 5 people, you may not need all 5. I use it with my own family of three. Those remaining two spots will likely stay vacant, unless I teach my dog Rudy how to use 1Password (ooo, Paw ID instead of Touch ID!)

I would like to note that I’ve heard folks say they use a couple spots on their Families plan to add their parents or grandparents. It can be handy for remote password support using shared vaults, and while no one likes to think of it, it can be incredibly useful for estate planning purposes.

I do think you’ll find Families to be a wonderful experience and well worth it whether you have two or 5 people on the plan.

• Eric
      Eric says:

Chris,

I guess I read it wrong price-wise. Two dollars a month more for the family plan is a good deal. I think I’ll go with it anyway. Thanks.

Eric

3. Neil (@rctneil)
    Neil (@rctneil) says:

Nice to see an individual option!

Just a few quick questions:

You stated above that you can cancel at any time and not be locked in but the pricing page states that it’s billed annually? If we used it for ten months and then cancelled, are we refunded the remaining two months?
    Can I have a local vaults and 1Password.com vaults in the same application running quite happily together? If so, can these local vaults be synced in any of the ways we have been able to do previously (ie: DropBox?)
    If I sign up for the trial, can we cancel and revert back to the standard setup?
    Is it possible to keep custom backups? I’m sure your backups are great but i’m also terrified about losing my 1Password data and would like to keep a manual backup too!

• Chris De Jabet
      Chris De Jabet says:

Hi Neil,

I’m glad you like the individual option!

If you cancel 10 months into a 12 month payment, you’ll still have full access for the remaining 2 months, and then your account will go into Frozen status. In Frozen status your account becomes read-only, and you still have export options should you need them. To thaw the account, simply renew the subscription.

And yes, you can have local vaults and account vaults running and coexisting within the apps. I actually run this setup as I keep a demo vault active locally to test things as needed.

If you give the trial a whirl and don’t like it, you can move data back to a local vault the same way you moved it to the trial: select the items, and choose the local vault as the destination when moving them.

As for backups of account vaults, those are managed on the server. We keep copious backups and the item history feature makes restoring a breeze if needed.

4. Dan
    Dan says:

I would love to move my family to this new framework, but can you confirm how this works when a device is offline (on an airplane, in a country where I don’t have a cell plan, in a celluar deadzone out of town, etc)? I am only interested if I have full offline access to by password database at all times. So, I assume that the primary location of my master database under this new framework will be on the cloud, will each of my devices always maintain a shadow copy for offline access? Or, is internet access always required to access my database?

• Chris De Jabet
      Chris De Jabet says:

Hi Dan,

Your first thought is correct! The server holds your data, but the client apps hold a local copy for offline access. One catch is that Document items are downloaded on demand. So if you need one of those before getting on the airplane, it is best to open 1Password and hit the download button for that document item.

5. perunax
    perunax says:

When will your hosted solution be HIPAA, PCI, SOX, and GLBA compliant? I have a bunch of customers who are looking for an environment to meet regulatory compliance.

6. Todd S.
    Todd S. says:

I had never jumped on the original awesome offer for families, when it was released, since there was not a solution for Windows. We have the Windows, iOS & Mac versions of the software. Love the ability to be able to reset users etc. However, without the windows version I couldn’t switch and take advantage. Now you have a great offer for individuals, which I guess in theory could be upgraded to family, but imagine the discount is then lost. I know you can;t say when a windows version will be released and thus can;t say if there will be any offers avail to those of us who are unable to take advantage of the switch on these previous releases. Especially, with a family.

• Chris De Jabet
      Chris De Jabet says:

Hi Todd,

We did indeed have a launch special for Families, and this is a different special for individuals.

I am delighted to tell you that we are close on a new Windows app that supports Families! We announced a bit ago that we’ll release it sometime in August, and we’re getting really close.

Here’s more details on the new app for Windows: https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/06/02/1password-6-beta-for-windows-opens-the-door-to-1password-families-and-1password-teams/

• Todd S.
      Todd S. says:

Chris,

My point was that you had a launch special for families but it restricted those of us that would have wanted to take advantage but couldn’t, since it did not encompass Windows. Guess its the same with individuals as well. I am hoping that once the Windows version comes out of Beta that you will extend a offer to those of us who would have taken advantage but couldn’t since a key missing platform was unsupported. I’d say you could have made this an exclusive offer for those who use Windows but since families/individuals is subscription based and gets access to all platforms not sure there is a way without offering the same to all again.

Hi Todd,

I see where you’re coming from, and you’re right, the situation on the Windows front is far from ideal. It would have been awesome if we could have released Families with full support for Windows, and in fact, it would have been pretty sweet if we could have released Teams, Families and our individual plans all at the same time.

As great as that would have been, a staged rollout made a lot of sense for many reasons so we decided to take that route. It’s worked out pretty well for the most part, but I agree, on Windows it’s been a rough ride.

One of the reasons I picked September 21st for the cutoff for our individual special launch special was because I wanted to give Windows users lots of time to participate after our Windows app comes out of beta.

With any luck I’ll be announcing the Windows release within the next 4 weeks (fingers crossed!) leaving individuals 3 full weeks to take advantage of the launch special.

As for Families, you hit the nail on the head there: it’s really hard to have another launch special that is just for Windows users. I’m not sure how we could do that, at least, not without some considerable investment from the development team.

I’ll think it over and will see what we can do. Thanks for your patience as we work things through ❤️

• Todd S.
      Todd S. says:

Thanks Dave.

I do have a thought on a possible idea. Don’t want to post for obvious reasons ;).

You’ve piqued my interest, Todd ?

Feel free to email me at dave (at) agilebits . c o m if you want to talk privately. Just remember that I suck at email so don’t expect a timely response there. For timeliness, you’re always best contacting our support team as they rock email a lot better than I do ?

• Chris De Jabet
      Chris De Jabet says:

Hi Lance,

You can expect things to stay the same as they are. The new subscription account is a new option for customers, but not a required one.

If you decide to try it out, you’ll have access to all our apps, including Pro features on mobile, and you’ll get future major versions at no additional cost.

Hi Ric!

I’m not sure if I’m following you 100%, but I think you’re asking if you can have both a personal account and a teams account at the same time. That’s the question I’m going to answer anyway ? If I guessed wrong, please simply politely nod and then pretend to ask me a different question ?

You’re able to add multiple accounts to 1Password so you can easily have a personal account and a team account on the same time. This is super convenient when combined with our All Vaults feature as it allows to quickly find what you need without needing to worry about which vault it’s stored in.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions ?

7. Ricky
    Ricky says:

Does this provide a way for me to have two different completely unrelated sets of passwords on one phone? I have a home license, and a work license. I don’t want to co-mingle these items on the computers, but I want my phone to be able to get passwords from each. Right now, there is no way to do this because you can’t change the name of the primary vault on the computer, and you can’t sync two different primary vaults to the same phone.

Hi Ricky,

You can keep your passwords separate but also easily accessible by having a 1Password Teams account and a separate personal account (or a 1Password Families account) for your non-work related items. Having two accounts will allow you to keep your passwords in completely separate vaults for organizational and sharing purposes, while at the same time being able to access both from your phone.

I wrote a blog post about this exact thing for how I’m doing exactly this:

Note that I wrote that post when only 1Password Teams was available but the concepts are true for any type of 1Password account.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with ?

• Ricky
      Ricky says:

(I can’t seem to reply to your response directly)

It seems as though this only works if I put my passwords in the cloud. I don’t want my passwords to go outside of my computers. I want the passwords on my home computer to stay there and on my phone, and the passwords on my work computer to stay there and on my phone.

There are probably even legal requirements that my work passwords cannot be shared via a web system (HIPAA is probably involved).

Ricky

• nik
      nik says:

Hi, Ricky. You did great: replying to your original message will keep all the messages in the conversation together.

Yes, our new hosted service is a cloud-based service. If you want to keep your 1Password vaults local, we can talk through your specific sync setup and help you figure it out. It’s probably best that we do that over e-mail, and I’ll make sure that one of us follows up with you soon.

We’ve built our hosted service to be securely and safely used in all types of environments. You can read specifically about 1Password and HIPAA in our knowledge base. There’s more general security information on our web site, and you’ll also find links there to an explanation of the increased security provided by your unique Account Key and to our comprehensive (and comprehensible!) white paper.

Hi Spencer,

1Password 6 will eventually get a new agent process of it’s own, or as we like to affectionally call it, 1Password mini ?

Sergey and his team are working hard on finishing the beta and improving the integration with the browsers and 1Password mini will be a big part of that. Hopefully I have will have more to share soon ?

Cheers!

8. wvb22
    wvb22 says:

I have bought the apps for iOS and the Mac app. Will I be able to keep using those with iCloud syncing? Or do I need to get the subscription to sync.

Hello!

Yes, absolutely, you will be able to continue syncing with iCloud between Mac and iOS. Our new subscription service is entirely voluntary. We hope to get you excited by the new features but if you want to continue doing exactly what you’ve been doing, that’s A-OK ?

9. junkmagnet2013
    junkmagnet2013 says:

I spent $50 to get the lifetime stand-alone app. Are you going to offer a “credit back” (I’m thinking at least $25 credit) for moving off that to your subscription model for those of us who are long time 1Password users?

Hello!

First before I jump in I want to be sure we’re on the same page about our licenses: they are not lifetime licenses. The license you bought is for 1Password 6 and will never expire for that version. Large major upgrades in the future may or may not be a paid upgrade. For example, from version 3 to 4 we had a paid upgrade, but versions 5 and 6 were free.

As for a credit for existing customers, this is something I wanted to do but it’s actually a lot more involved than you might expect. After looking at the amount of work involved to implement this on all platforms and store fronts along with the fact that it’s a voluntary migration to our new service, I decided against it. Our developers have their hands full already this summer so I tried to avoid adding more to their plates.

This is one of the main reasons I wanted to have a big launch special. By giving 6 months to everyone I was able to give everyone a surprise and save a lot of development time. In the future we might have a way to get credit for your license but it’s not something we’re working on at the moment.

10. Daan Debie
    Daan Debie says:

Hi there!

Congrats on the new subscription! May you get many new customers!
    I bought a license years ago, and I still love your product. The new subscription version sounds great, especially being able to access your vault without installing 1p.

The thing is, is was tempted to switch from the licensed version of 1p to the new 2.99 sub, but then I talked it over with my wife and we concluded that the family sub is actually a better fit for us! That way, she starts being secure as well, and we have a way if sharing passwords to shared accounts, like Netflix and Spotify.
    But if we take the family sub, is there a nice incentive like the 6 month free period there as well?

Hi Daan!

Thank you for all the kind words! It’s awesome that you found 1Password Families! I think your wife and you will love it ?

As for a Families special, we actually had one when it was launched. I’m sorry you missed it but that launch special ended when Spring sprung. I know it’s a bit late now, but be sure to subscribe to this blog and sign up for my newsletter to stay up-to-date on everything we’re up to.

Sorry I don’t have a better answer for you! In the wise words of the omnipotent Q, all good things must come to an end. And if you’ll excuse me, I need to go watch some Star Trek now ?

11. Seth Lilly
    Seth Lilly says:

Congratulations Dave and team! 1Password is my password management app of choice on all platforms, and I’m happy to support your further development with a subscription. Well worth the price per month.

Thank you so so much, Seth!! I really appreciate you taking the time to share this with us and it’s awesome to have you supporting us. Thank you! ❤️

12. Antonio Cangiano
    Antonio Cangiano says:

Please consider making this available via Chrome extension. That would enable a convenient option when using Linux or Chrome OS. Right now, after years of using 1password exclusively, I’m testing LastPass for this very reason. Having an extension would make my switch unnecessary.

• nik
      nik says:

Thanks for letting us know that you would find this useful, Antonio. It would be pretty amazing to just install the extension, log in to my 1Password account, and have everything just work. Like you, I hope we can make that a reality one day. =)

• nik
      nik says:

Hi, Dan, thanks for asking! Yes, it’s about that. It’s 3.99/mo if you go month to month and 2.99/mo if you pay annually.

13. Daryl Close
    Daryl Close says:

Is there a device limit? I have a mini and iPad Air, Android work phone, personal iPhone, and 2 PC’s….all with separate licenses, but would like to get away from dropbox.

• nik
      nik says:

Hi, Daryl, thanks for stopping by. That’s a great question and it’s one of the things I like most about having a 1Password account. We don’t need to think about any of that stuff anymore! It doesn’t matter how many computers or mobile devices we have, or which operating systems they run; if they’re supported by 1Password, we can simply install the app and sign in.

14. Sattar
    Sattar says:

Hi, thank you for making the best password manager out there – and continuing to update it. I have recently purchased a Pro Account – is there any discount to people that have a Pro Account or that have purchased it recently?

• nik
      nik says:

Hi, Sattar, thank you for the kind words about 1Password! I’m not sure what you mean by Pro account. Do you mean that you downloaded 1Password for your mobile device and unlocked the Pro features with the in-app purchase? If so, thank you very much! As we are launching the 1Password hosted service by giving six months for free to everyone who signs up, there is no additional discount.

I hope that answers your question. Have a great day. =)

15. Tu Nguyen
    Tu Nguyen says:

Hi Dave,

I just signed-up 1Password account and migrated my local 1Password today without entering the promo code. Can I still get the 6-months free?

Thanks,
    Tu Nguyen

• nik
      nik says:

Hi, Tu, thank you for signing up for your 1Password account! Yes, please choose the option to add a credit card in the quest log. You don’t have to add a card just yet, but on the billing page you should see that you have 180-something days left of your free trial. If not, let us know at support at 1password dot com and we’ll help.

• nik
      nik says:

Hi, Roland, thank you for subscribing to 1Password Families! 1Password Families had its own special when it launched. You can only take advantage of this special pricing if you sign up for an individual 1Password account.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »