Introducing our new 1Password subscription service — get 6 months free!

Today is a very exciting day in the world of passwords! We have not one, not two, but three(!) incredible things to announce:

1. An awesome new state-of-the-art hosted service to protect you and your data
  2. The most affordable way to purchase 1Password on all your devices
  3. A launch special that’s so amazing it’s kinda scary

Read on to see why this is the best time to try 1Password and start protecting yourself online. ?

A new, revolutionary hosted service

hosted-service

Earlier this year, we released two amazing new services: 1Password Families and 1Password Teams. Both rely on our new hosted platform to bring awesome new features that weren’t possible when 1Password was just a standalone app.

The response has been amazing and many of you asked for a special plan so you could also enjoy these benefits. We now have the perfect answer: our new service made for individuals!

Our new individual hosted service comes with everything you expect from 1Password, along with these new features:

• Built-in automatic sync across all devices
  • Data loss protection
  • Web access to your data on 1Password.com
  • Item History for restoring deleted or changed items
  • Secure Document storage
  • Brand new multi-factor security model

Using our new service provides the simplest and most feature-packed way to use 1Password. And with our new purchase option, it’s easier than ever to get started.

Our new super-affordable plan

To get the benefits of our new hosted service, you simply need to subscribe to our new plan on 1Password.com.

In addition to all the new features, the biggest benefit of a 1Password subscription is that you get all the 1Password apps for every platform, along with Pro Features, free updates, and free upgrades to every new version of 1Password.

One of the things people love most about our Families and Teams plans is not needing to worry about licenses or paid upgrades. And with our new plan for individuals, everyone can get in on the fun.

At just $2.99 a month, it’s the simplest and most affordable way to start using 1Password. See our pricing page for full details.

Oh, and our subscription service will never lock you in! You can cancel at any time and if your subscription ever lapses, you will still be able to view and export all your data.

An amazing (and scary!) launch special

1Password Accounts launch special

It’s no fun having a launch without having a special launch special so we went looking for one and we found a doozy!

Sign up today and receive your first 6 months free! No ifs, ands, or buts (or ads!). There’s no fine print and no strings attached. You don’t even need to add your credit card to get this amazing deal!

To get in on this incredible deal, all you need to do is sign up for an individual 1Password account before September 21st, 2016.

Sign up for your 1Password account now

Given how excited we are, you might be wondering why this is a little bit scary for us as well. The thing is, we’re a 100% customer-funded company and have refused to accept any venture capital money. As such it’s scary to give away our one and only product.

But we’re more excited than scared as we really want everyone to try out our new service and see how awesome it is. So sign up now, before Fall falls ?

Security and Privacy

Secure Foundation

We built 1Password from the start on a foundation of Security and Privacy, and our new 1Password accounts have once again taken things to the next level.

First and foremost, our end-to-end encryption security model ensures all your information is encrypted before it ever leaves your device. The encryption keys are only accessible to you so we are never able to decrypt any of your data.

Your Master Password (which only you know) is a key player in this encryption, but 1Password accounts also come with a new concept called the Account Key to make our encryption even stronger.

The Account Key is a randomly generated 128-bit key that is used in combination with your Master Password to encrypt your data using tamper-proof, authenticated 256 bit AES encryption.

Only you have your Account Key and like your Master Password it never leaves your devices. Along with your Master Password this ensures that no one but you will be able to access your 1Password data.

See our security page for details and all the things we did beyond just enabling TLS/SSL (we did that, too, by the way ?).

Great for new and long-time users alike

1Password Accounts - great for new and long-time users alike

If you know anyone who’s not practicing safe passwords, now is a great time to introduce them to 1Password!

Simply link your friends to the signup page and gently remind them how important it is to use strong, unique passwords for every site:

Sign up now and get 6 months free

If you are a long-time user but don’t own 1Password for all your devices, haven’t upgraded to the newest version, or if you want to take advantage of the new features in our hosted service, now’s the perfect time to sign up.

After signing up you’ll be able to easily migrate your existing data over to your new 1Password account. We have a great guide along with a video that walks you through the process.

This launch special is too good to leave running for long so I needed to pick a cutoff date. Be sure to sign up before September 21st to get this awesome deal!

I hope you and your friends love our new 1Password hosted service as much as we loved making it for you. ?

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Steve
    Steve says:

I am currently using two vaults. Syncing via Dropbox. 1 vault is shared with my wife and 1 (Primary) is not. She has her own Primary vault that is not shared with me. Can this setup be maintained with the new subscription service? Thanks.

Hi Steve,

Great question! Thanks for asking and giving me a chance to help ?

The setup you described is best suited for our 1Password Families service. With Families you can each will have your own Personal vault and by default a single Shared vault that is shared with everyone you invite to your family. You can create as many vaults as you like and share them with who ever you want.

One of the things that’s great about these vaults is they all appear automatically as soon as you add your 1Password account to your device, so there’s no hassle at all, no matter how many vaults you add.

We’re working on an upcoming video that will be posted to YouTube that shows this in action. Here’s a sneak peek at the near-final version if you’d like to see it:

I hope that helps ?

2. Marcus
    Marcus says:

Hi!

This sounds awesome. Will I be able to migrate from 1P Acc to Families? Right now, I’m the only one using 1P so no use for Families now but if the rest starts using it, I might want to migrate – possible?

Also, will it be possible to migrate downward? From Families to Acc? And perhaps even go back to non-Acc license like I have today?

Hi Marcus,

I’m super happy to hear you like what you see ? ?

You’ll also be happy to hear we’ve made it super simple to switch from an individual account to a Families or Teams account. All you need to do is log into your account on 1Password.com and then click “Invite People…” from the main navigation menu. At that time you’ll be asked if you want to switch to a Teams or a Families account.

As for the other way around, it will be possible for a Families account to be converted into an individual plan in the future. We have a few technical concerns to work through first but you will be able to eventually. As for going back to locally managed vaults, you can move your data from one vault to another so all you’ll need to do is create a new local vault and move your data and you’ll be back where you are today ?

I hope that helps! Please let me know.

3. Philip Paul
    Philip Paul says:

Excuses for my bad English I am Dutch ;-)
    I already use 1password on my Macbook/Wiindows PC/Ipad and Iphone.
    I want to use your new System so that I don’t have to sync with Dropbox anymore.

How Can I simply migrate my default Vault to my new account on 1password. I Suppose that I have to do that one time (On al my other devices I use the same vault) And how do my devices see the right vault on 1password.com???

Phili

Hi Phili,

No need to apologize, your English is fine! ?

We have a guide along with a video that shows you how to migrate your existing data over that I think you’ll find handy:

The video is specifically talking about a Families account but the concept is exactly the same for individual accounts.

Since you are already syncing your data through Dropbox, you’ll only need to follow this migration on one of your machines. You then simply need to add your new 1Password account to all your other devices and your data will appear automatically.

I hope that helps! ?

4. William Halvorsen
    William Halvorsen says:

I have signed up for a new subscription and have copied all of my data from my old Primary vault to the new Personal vault. I assume that I can now turn off syncing of the old Primary vault with iCloud?

Hi William,

Thanks for signing up! It sounds like you’re rocking so far ?

Yes, once you have everything setup and all your data migrated over, you can disable iCloud syncing for your Primary vault. We’re pretty timid about deleting the Primary vault as you might imagine so we don’t delete it automatically. When you setup a new device you’ll only need to add your 1Password account and you’ll avoid having the Primary vault appear.

I hope that helps. Please let me know ?

5. Philip Paul
    Philip Paul says:

I have copied my data to my new 1password account with my windows pc and I have made the right settings on my Iphone app! it works but…..when I make for example a new secure note this note is not visible in my vault? not on my Iphone, windows pc or my personal 1password site???? I must trust the app so that I save things in my vault??

Hi Philip,

Thanks for reaching out and giving us a chance to help. ❤️

At first look I’m not sure what the issue is. It sounds to me like you may have created the new Secure Note in your old Primary vault. If so, your Primary vault is not part of your new 1Password account, so anything created or modified there will not be made available on your other devices or 1Password.com.

Can you verify that you’ve created the item in your Personal vault? Also, please creating one on iPhone and another on Windows and see if they are both experiencing the issue or just one. Lastly, we should sync automatically after an item is changed but perhaps the sync is being delayed for some reason. Please try locking and unlocking 1Password and see if that helps (we trigger a sync after unlock).

Please let me know how it turns out!

Hello again, Philip! It’s good to see you ?

On Windows our browser extension is still in it’s infancy and does not have a full UI yet. You can use Ctrl-\ to fill logins, however, and soon you’ll be able to chose items to fill using the mouse.

Please keep in mind that to use the browser extension you need to have 1Password unlocked and if you have an older copy of 1Password installed you need to make sure it is not running.

I hope that helps. ?

6. Jeff Baynham (@JeffBaynham)
    Jeff Baynham (@JeffBaynham) says:

I am an existing application customer (Mac, Win, and iOS). I am interested in trying the cloud service but have a question. If I migrate all my information into the cloud during trial and decide to go back to the application and not use cloud, can I migrate my data back out of cloud back into the applications?

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for asking! I’m happy to have the chance to answer ?

The short answer is yes. The longer answer is also yes, but has a few more words. ?

Let’s start by talking about how easy it is to migrate your existing data from your locally managed vaults into a new online vault that is tied to your 1Password account. All you need to do is add your new account, select your existing data, and move it into the new vault. We have a nice guide along with a video on how to do this here:

Note that the video is focused on a Families account, but the same concepts hold true for individual accounts as well.

As for migrating your data back out from the cloud and into a locally managed vault, you would do the exact same thing, only in reverse.

In short, you’re in full control and free to dance to whichever song you enjoy most ?

7. mendel
    mendel says:

hey guys,

i tried to comment at some point yesterday and i think it might have gotten lost. if not, sorry for repeating my question.

First off, big kudos to you for being so committed to the customer experience. your product is very high quality and such a force out there IMO that it would have been easy for you to ‘bully’ the new subscription model to your customer base and deal with the backlash, but your willingness to allow for both the subscription and license model and the fact that your team has dedicated itself to replying to every individual comment on here means a lot.

my question is: the license model for 1p allows for free updates for a big version’s patches, but not a new version, correct? what’s your typical release cycle for a new version?

Whew! I’m glad you found your comment and our answer! When I first read that it was lost I was ? but after reading your followup I’m back to ?.

I sometimes find WordPress comments hard to follow myself, and I’ve been using them for years. Perhaps we’ll switch to something else but I find each one has their own pros and cons.

8. Jean-Michel
    Jean-Michel says:

I have been using 1Password for years now on my iMac, iPad and iPhone. I purchased the apps I needed. What happens with these apps if I sign up for the new monthly plan? Do I have to sign up when I am logged in 1Password on my iMac for example? Will I have to download a new app on all my devices or just continue using the ones I have now?

• nik
      nik says:

Hello, Jean-Michel! Thank you for your interest in signing up for a 1Password account. The great news is that all your apps (1Password for Mac and iOS) are ready and waiting for you. =) In short, you will sign up, add your new account to your apps, and copy your data over. To be clear, you don’t need to sign up whilst 1Password for Mac is open, you’ll simply add your account after signing up.

We’ve got a lovely guide for you, with a video and screenshots, to help you upgrade smoothly.

We’re here for you if you have any more questions. =)

9. Tuur
    Tuur says:

Just wanted to let you know you RSS feed includes unpublished articles. I keep getting entries from you in my rss reader that I can’t see.

• nik
      nik says:

Hello, Tuur, thanks very much for this. Sorry for the annoyance! I jumped the gun on this article, so we pulled it and re-published it at the correct time. But it’s not a common occurrence, so you shouldn’t keep getting new entries that you can’t see. Thanks for being vigilant. =)

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »