Introducing our new 1Password subscription service — get 6 months free!

Today is a very exciting day in the world of passwords! We have not one, not two, but three(!) incredible things to announce:

1. An awesome new state-of-the-art hosted service to protect you and your data
  2. The most affordable way to purchase 1Password on all your devices
  3. A launch special that’s so amazing it’s kinda scary

Read on to see why this is the best time to try 1Password and start protecting yourself online. ?

A new, revolutionary hosted service

hosted-service

Earlier this year, we released two amazing new services: 1Password Families and 1Password Teams. Both rely on our new hosted platform to bring awesome new features that weren’t possible when 1Password was just a standalone app.

The response has been amazing and many of you asked for a special plan so you could also enjoy these benefits. We now have the perfect answer: our new service made for individuals!

Our new individual hosted service comes with everything you expect from 1Password, along with these new features:

• Built-in automatic sync across all devices
  • Data loss protection
  • Web access to your data on 1Password.com
  • Item History for restoring deleted or changed items
  • Secure Document storage
  • Brand new multi-factor security model

Using our new service provides the simplest and most feature-packed way to use 1Password. And with our new purchase option, it’s easier than ever to get started.

Our new super-affordable plan

To get the benefits of our new hosted service, you simply need to subscribe to our new plan on 1Password.com.

In addition to all the new features, the biggest benefit of a 1Password subscription is that you get all the 1Password apps for every platform, along with Pro Features, free updates, and free upgrades to every new version of 1Password.

One of the things people love most about our Families and Teams plans is not needing to worry about licenses or paid upgrades. And with our new plan for individuals, everyone can get in on the fun.

At just $2.99 a month, it’s the simplest and most affordable way to start using 1Password. See our pricing page for full details.

Oh, and our subscription service will never lock you in! You can cancel at any time and if your subscription ever lapses, you will still be able to view and export all your data.

An amazing (and scary!) launch special

1Password Accounts launch special

It’s no fun having a launch without having a special launch special so we went looking for one and we found a doozy!

Sign up today and receive your first 6 months free! No ifs, ands, or buts (or ads!). There’s no fine print and no strings attached. You don’t even need to add your credit card to get this amazing deal!

To get in on this incredible deal, all you need to do is sign up for an individual 1Password account before September 21st, 2016.

Sign up for your 1Password account now

Given how excited we are, you might be wondering why this is a little bit scary for us as well. The thing is, we’re a 100% customer-funded company and have refused to accept any venture capital money. As such it’s scary to give away our one and only product.

But we’re more excited than scared as we really want everyone to try out our new service and see how awesome it is. So sign up now, before Fall falls ?

Security and Privacy

Secure Foundation

We built 1Password from the start on a foundation of Security and Privacy, and our new 1Password accounts have once again taken things to the next level.

First and foremost, our end-to-end encryption security model ensures all your information is encrypted before it ever leaves your device. The encryption keys are only accessible to you so we are never able to decrypt any of your data.

Your Master Password (which only you know) is a key player in this encryption, but 1Password accounts also come with a new concept called the Account Key to make our encryption even stronger.

The Account Key is a randomly generated 128-bit key that is used in combination with your Master Password to encrypt your data using tamper-proof, authenticated 256 bit AES encryption.

Only you have your Account Key and like your Master Password it never leaves your devices. Along with your Master Password this ensures that no one but you will be able to access your 1Password data.

See our security page for details and all the things we did beyond just enabling TLS/SSL (we did that, too, by the way ?).

Great for new and long-time users alike

1Password Accounts - great for new and long-time users alike

If you know anyone who’s not practicing safe passwords, now is a great time to introduce them to 1Password!

Simply link your friends to the signup page and gently remind them how important it is to use strong, unique passwords for every site:

Sign up now and get 6 months free

If you are a long-time user but don’t own 1Password for all your devices, haven’t upgraded to the newest version, or if you want to take advantage of the new features in our hosted service, now’s the perfect time to sign up.

After signing up you’ll be able to easily migrate your existing data over to your new 1Password account. We have a great guide along with a video that walks you through the process.

This launch special is too good to leave running for long so I needed to pick a cutoff date. Be sure to sign up before September 21st to get this awesome deal!

I hope you and your friends love our new 1Password hosted service as much as we loved making it for you. ?

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Thierry - Belgium
    Thierry - Belgium says:

Dear support,
    I am exactly in the same situation as many one license user who have purchased it for all their devices and don’t want to go to a monthly fee for each of their individual app (office365, Adobe,…) all these small amounts already sum up with the other spendings!
    Anyway I understand you continue supporting the original service relying on Dropbox – hope this will continue forever.

If you understand some French, see that many users are worried like me and are preparing a possible switch
    “Quel gestionnaire de mots de passe pour remplacer 1Password ?

Otherwise, thanks for 1password I am using it everyday

• Thierry
      Thierry says:

Funny. I’m another Thierry. Just coming to add my comment as I was reading on MacG for this news.
      Really hoping that 1P will stay the best for long

Hi Thierry!

It’s awesome you took the time to share your feelings with us. And it’s double awesome that another Thierry came along to do the same! It’s a small world ?

I can understand why you might be worried but I’m happy to say that we’ll happily keep selling licenses as long as users like yourself keep buying them. We’re not picky ?

Some things like paid upgrades are much simpler with the subscription service, and there are features that will only be available to those who subscribe, but whenever possible we’re happy to continue updating 1Password and adding features that all users can enjoy.

As for whether we can continue doing so forever, I hope so! We love doing what we do and it would be awesome if customers like yourself continued to support us forever so we’re able to continue doing what we love. ❤️

• Thierry
      Thierry says:

Thanks Dave for reassuring us of your future.
      I trust you (or I would not use your password manager)
      We will be able to continue to recommend 1Password, over our MacG website, for those who wants to do a bit more than just the iCloud keychain.
      I guess, anyway, it’s only in your interest to keep your customers from all sides.

Thanks for trusting in us, Thierry! You’re right, you can’t use an app to store your secrets if you don’t trust the developers behind that app.

We’re not in the subscription business, nor are we in the license business. We’re in the making customers happy business ? As a 100% customer funded company (we don’t show ads, don’t sell your information, and we actively avoid venture capital investments), there’s no other way.

Take care and thanks again for your support! ?

2. Thi
    Thi says:

Hi 1P Team
    Thanks for this great application that I’m using for many years on 2 Mac and 2 iPhones with synch.
    I really really hope you will not force us to get the monthly pay in 2017-2018 by stopping support of standalone license. It would be a real deception.
    I understand this great new feature, for some of your users. And wish you success.
    But many of your other customers are syncing by wifi or with their own cloud.
    They don’t need to lay a monthly fee.

I hope you will continue to support 1-2 consecutive upgrades including in the license as you were doing in the past. That was one of my reasons to use 1P. A great continuous support of the app.

Good morning, Thi!

You’re the third person in a row who’s name starts with “Thi” who wants us to continue supporting licenses ? Something about your name (or names with this prefix) makes you more likely to want to purchase instead of subscribe. I wonder why that is? ?

In all seriousness though, I can see where you’re coming from as many companies have made abrupt switches before but I’m happy to say that we don’t want to force anyone to do anything. We’ll happily keep selling licenses as long as you keep buying them. I don’t mind ?

As I pointed out in a few other places in these comments, some things like paid upgrades are much simpler with the subscription service, and there are (and will be more) features that can only be used by subscribers, but whenever possible we are trying to continue updating 1Password and adding features that everyone can use.

Thanks again for supporting us. We love doing what we do and we couldn’t do it without you. ❤️

3. Rob
    Rob says:

I’m taking advantage of the free 6 month subscription. If I decide to not proceed, can I simply delete my online account and continue using the new vault created but syncing with dropbox?

Hi Rob,

It’s great you’ve taken the plunge and are giving our new service a try!

Yes, by all means, if you decide you want to switch back to using Dropbox you’re welcome to. Technically you would not be syncing your new vault, however, as that is managed by the 1Password service itself. To sync with Dropbox you would create a new local vault, move your data over, and configure it to sync with Dropbox.

I hope that helps! Please let me know ?

Hi Robin!

Thanks for reporting this to us. In theory this shouldn’t be able to happen but it looks like you found a loop hole ?

Do you remember which link you used to sign up? Did you encounter any errors or reload the page or anything special like that?

In any event we will be able to update your account on our end so there’s no need to create a new account. Just curious how you got into this scenario. Please let me know.

4. Miguel
    Miguel says:

Hello!

Congrats on your new updates and plans for the future.

For us, long time users that sync via dropbox. Will the updates and use of the app will continue to work as normal?

Thanks Miguel! The future is bright ?

As for your current setup, yes, you’re all set and don’t need to do anything. You’ll continue to get updates and everything will continue as-is.

Thanks for supporting us!

5. Rohit
    Rohit says:

Hi Dave, great article. I was planning to start using 1password and I got most of the information I was looking for along with 6 month free trial :) I have couple of questions
    1. I downloaded the app and it works without account as well, What are the features supported without account creation?
    2. What happens post subscription expiration, does the data on app remains accessible locally something similar to what keeper doea
    3. What if I continue subscription but want data to only remain local to device, is that supported?
    Thank You.

Good morning Rohit!

I’m glad you enjoyed my post and got what you needed. It’s always nice when that happens ?

Lets see if I can fill in the gaps:

1) 1Password does indeed run perfectly well without an account, allowing you to purchase a license instead. Both 1Password experiences are very similar but licenses require that you sync your data yourself (using Dropbox, iCloud, or a local WLAN server) and you’ll need to upgrade your license to use major new releases. Also, 1Password is able to offer additional features to those with 1Password accounts, as listed in the beginning of this article.

2) When your subscription expires, you are no longer able to add items or modify existing ones. While your account is frozen all your data remains accessible and you can still view, copy, and export it whenever you want. Every device will still have a local copy of your data.

3) While using the subscription all your data will be synced to our online service and every device will have a local copy of your data. If you want your data to never leave your local network, you will want to use the WLAN server feature of the licensed version of 1Password. Technically you can have both local and online storage locations within 1Password at the same time but it’s not something I would recommend.

I hope that helps clear things up! Please let me know ?

6. Mel
    Mel says:

This seems like a great time to start sharing the joys of 1Password with friends and colleagues (even more than I do already). Is there any form of referral bonus for sharing the link with others?

I agree completely, Mel! It is indeed a great time to share the joy of 1Password! ?

At this time we do not have a referral bonus or affiliate link that you can use. This is something we’re thinking about so it may be possible in the future. If and when this is possible we’ll be announcing it here as well as within my newsletter so stay tuned ?

Thanks again for sharing the love, Mel. We live and breath by word of mouth so we wouldn’t be here without you. ❤️

Great question, Andrew! And one that I have a good answer for ?

At this exact moment, no, you cannot convert. Fear not, however, as we’re close to releasing a new version which will make this possible. Chris has the code written already and we just need to finish the testing before rolling it out.

I’d estimate by the end of the week you’ll be able to find a Convert button within your Family Settings, which you can find in the main navigation menu after logging into 1Password.com.

Take care and enjoy your week! ?

7. Dave
    Dave says:

Hi – I signed up for the subscription service and am loving it. It’s working great on a Yosemite computer and my iOS devices. I have one computer, though, that is stuck with mavericks (work computer, can’t easily upgrade). How do I make my subscription service account sync with that computer which I think has to run 1password version 4 (it’s ok if its s manual sync, though automatic would be nice?) I really would like this to work on all of my devices! Thanks!

Good morning, Dave! It’s awesome to hear you’re loving our new service! That’s music to my heart ? ❤️ ?

For your Mavericks machine, you’re not going to be able to install the 1Password app. Our new service features are only available in the latest version of 1Password and that requires Yosemite or later.

The good news is you can use the web app to access all your information. It’s a fully functional app so you’re able to make edits and even upload documents. Depending on how often you use your Mavericks machine, you might want to use a site specific browser like Fluidapp so you can add a 1Password icon directly in your dock.

You could also manually export your data and import it into 1Password 4, but I think you’ll find the web access much more enjoyable.

I hope that helps! Please let me know ?

• nik
      nik says:

Hi, Dave! Honestly, I can’t say. Right now our focus is on 1Password. I really love Knox and I think that if could get it to work with 1Password, that would be an incredible combination. But I can’t say if or when that dream might become a reality.

Thanks for asking about Knox, it’s great to hear that you’re interested.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »