Hello, macOS Sierra!

Once a year, we are graced with the release of a new operating system for our Macs. It’s an exciting time for users as much as developers. This year, there were quite a few changes to Apple’s desktop OS, and the most noticeable one at first glance is the name: It’s now macOS. I’ve been using Macs since I convinced my parents to help me get one for college in 2008, and nothing has been the same. I’ll miss OS X, but I’m excited to spend at least 8 years with macOS.

The first release under this new name is a step in the right direction. I always love attention to detail, and the web team at Apple put a lot into the new macOS page. There’s really nothing like a bit of transform3d with a mountain range I grew up in.

Copy something and paste it on another device

I asked the team what their favorite features in macOS Sierra were, and Universal Clipboard was at the top of their list. Over the years, apps that provide a clipboard across multiple devices have come and gone. It’s great to see Apple implement their own solution right in the OS. With Sierra and iOS 10, copying something on your Mac will also add it to your iPad and iPhone’s clipboards so you can paste it on those devices, and vice versa.

This can be handy for bits of information, and also for passwords. If you copy a password from 1Password on your Mac, it will be available to paste on your iPhone almost immediately, which makes signing in to the App Store or iTunes spontaneously using your strong password even faster. Now the password can be pasted on your iPhone without opening 1Password on your iPhone.

Since Universal Clipboard requires both devices to use the same iCloud account, security of the clipboard contents comes to mind. Andrew Cunningham and Lee Hutchinson over at Ars Technica wrote an in-depth review of macOS Sierra and its new features and they explain, “Though both of your devices need to be signed in to the same iCloud account to trust each other, your data never appears to touch Apple’s servers—like Handoff, all communication is local.” It doesn’t require an active internet connection to work, but it does require that both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are enabled on each device.

Pretty great, eh? Learn how to copy and paste between devices with Universal Clipboard.

Unlock your Mac with Apple Watch

If you have an Apple Watch, you’re probably wearing it while you read this. Your iPhone can unlock your Watch, but what if your Watch could unlock your Mac? In macOS Sierra, it can. I spend a bit of time in cafes with my MacBook, and because I’m wearing a Watch I follow its orders and stand when I’m told. Since my MacBook is on battery power, it falls asleep and locks. Now my Watch can unlock my Mac automatically when I’m near it and wake it up. Who knew time-of-flight positioning was a byword for magic?

And many other things

If you use Siri often, you’ll be happy to see it on your Mac as well. There’s now a Siri icon in the menu bar and Dock, and clicking it activates the unique personal assistant. It can find files, help you spell things, find out the weather, help manage your calendar, and all sorts of other things.

Apple has a dedicated page to all the new features in macOS Sierra, and as I mentioned earlier, it’s awesome:

1Password + macOS Sierra = happyDance

Oh yeah, 1Password loves the new update too. Near the same time macOS Sierra was released, we also published an update to 1Password for Mac, and it’s fully compatible — if you notice any peculiar behavior, let us know.

It’s been a busy summer for me so I didn’t get a chance to try out the betas over the past few months. Yesterday was my first day with macOS Sierra and I’m excited to explore a bit and find some of the hidden features all the reviews I read missed!

If you haven’t upgraded already, now’s a great time! After upgrading be sure to check out the New to Mac welcome pages Apple created. Whether you’re new to Mac or have used it for a while, I think you’ll appreciate the spectacular introduction to its core features. And best of all, 1Password makes a cameo appearance in the App Store section! We’re very honored to be included here as well as selected by Apple in their Our Favorite Mac Apps section of the App Store.

I hope you all enjoy the new macOS! Let us know what your favorite features are in the comments. :)

1. oohhkevkevin
    oohhkevkevin says:

hello, just upgraded to Sierra and unable to install the browser extension. I just get an “unable to install extension” error message after i click on the downloaded extension file. help please?

Good morning Kevin! Welcome to Sierra! 🎉

Off the top of my head I’m not sure why you are getting that error message, but I have a few hunches. Before jumping in, could you tell me a bit about how you upgraded to Sierra? For example, did you upgrade your existing El Cap or did you start from scratch? If you updated El Cap, did you have the 1Password extension installed already?

I’m going to guess you updated El Cap and some files within Safari didn’t get updated properly. Start by going into Safari > Preferences, and going to the Extensions tab. Make sure 1Password is not installed there already. If it is, remove it. Then restart Safari and try installing the 1Password extension directly from the Safari Gallery:

1Password @ Safari Extension Gallery

Sometimes installing it directly from Apple’s gallery is all it takes. Please give that a go and let me know how it turns out.

2. Mickael
    Mickael says:

Hello, just upgraded to Sierra and unable to update for version 3.8.22 (build #32010).
    I just get an “An error occurred while extracting the archive. Try Again” error message after downloaded new version. help please? If you want I can send you screenshoot . Thank you

Hello Mickael, thanks for reaching out and giving me a chance to help.

1Password 3 was released in 2009 and was designed with Lion and Snow Leopard in mind – we tried to be forward looking but we didn’t envision macOS Sierra at that time 🙂

I think you’re going to be hard pressed to get this old version of 1Password working one the latest macOS version. Apple has made so many changes and improvement in recent years that I’d be surprised if you could get everything working.

The latest version of 1Password (version 6) happily runs on Sierra. You can download 1Password 6 from here and import your existing data so you don’t have to worry about starting over or anything like that.

It’s important to note however that 1Password 6 is a paid upgrade so your existing license won’t be valid there. The best option is to sign up to our new hosted service for only $2.99 a month, which will get you all the 1Password apps for every platform, free upgrades, simple automatic syncing, and item history.

We have a nice guide here that walks you through how to set up and account and move over your existing data.

I hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes 🙂

3. Tee
    Tee says:

I updated to Sierra and using iPassword 6.3.3. Occasionally iPassword main screen would be set to opacity 0% ie render the display beneath it. The only way to get it working again is to reboot my Mac!

4. Judith Wilson-Pates
    Judith Wilson-Pates says:

I use 1Password on an iPhone 7, iPad Air2, MacBook Air, and an iMac. The mobile devices are running iOS 10.0.2. The Macs are running OS 10.12. Last week I changed three 1Password passwords on my phone. Today I discovered the changes do not appear in 1Password on the iPad, MacBook Air and iMac. All devices are setup to sync automatically. All of the devices are syncing to the same Dropbox location. I don’t know what’s causing the problem or how to fix it.

• Margeau
      Margeau says:

Hi Judith,

Thank you for using 1Password and writing in about your experience. The best way to get this issue solved is to ask you to sent Diagnostics Reports from each device so we can see where the trouble is. The support page shows how to do that, but if you encounter any difficulty please email us at so we can help with this.

I will be looking out for your diagnostics information so we can get your devices in sync asap.

• Margeau
      Margeau says:

Good Morning, Judith!

Thanks for the update. l’m really glad things are running smoothly again. Please contact us again if you have questions or need a little assistance. We are here to help!

5. Gretchen McLeod
    Gretchen McLeod says:

I installed Sierra. Each time I try to connect to the internet I am told I am not connected. I have to turn off the computer and restart. If I get off the internet, the next time I try I am told I am not connected and I have to turn the computer off and start over. This is getting old. There are other issues but I need to fix this one first.

• Margeau
      Margeau says:

Hi Gretchen,

I’m sorry you are having some trouble with Sierra. Apple has included a new tool in this operating system to help users with Wi-Fi issues. If your Mac detects an issue, the Wi-Fi status menu in the menu bar shows a new item: Wi-Fi Recommendations. You can choose this to see recommended solutions. Apple support has a article with more information about using this new feature:

I hope you are able to put that issue to bed so you can enjoy all the other new features!