Having fun with Touch ID and the Touch Bar in 1Password

Yesterday was the special Apple event and all activity at AgileBits stopped as our entire team watched the live stream to see what goodies would be coming our way. For me, the most exciting news by far was the announcement of the new MacBook Pro with its amazing Touch Bar and Touch ID.

I remember how excited I was at the Apple developers conference when they first added Touch ID to iOS 8. I rushed back to the hotel, Xcode beta in hand, and added Touch ID to 1Password that very night. The joy of seeing 1Password unlock with just a tap was overwhelming.

Well, here I am again with that exact same feeling ?

Now that the new MacBook Pro’s have Touch ID we can bring that same great feeling you are used to on iPhone to your Mac, and it looks pretty darn cool too. Take a look for yourself and see!

As stunning as it looks in the Xcode simulator on my soon-to-be-obsolete late 2013, 15” 2.3 GHz Retina MacBook Pro, I can’t wait until my new Mac arrives so I can use it for real.

Oh, and then there’s the new Touch Bar. Wow! I was really excited seeing Phil demo this. The Touch Bar introduces a brand new world to the Mac and with it comes some wonderful opportunities to make 1Password even better. Dan, our designer extraordinaire, has begun to explore what the Touch Bar can bring to 1Password and I’d like to share some early designs.

Touch Bar for 1Password

What Dan has come up with is really exciting and I can’t wait to play with it. I think that switching between my work and home vaults with just a tap is going to be the most awesome, albeit sliding my finger across the Touch Bar to generate a strong password comes in a close second.

The possibilities with the Touch Bar are limitless and I am excited to hear how you see yourself using the new Touch Bar with 1Password.

Please share your thoughts in the comments below ❤️

Andrew says:

Glad all the license money you guys took from 1P Windows users before you stopped releasing products that were compatible with existing OPVault customers has helped you get a new $3,000 laptop! What kind of person thinks bragging about their expensive new toys while your products no longer work for the customers who supported you is a good idea? I am so disappointed that I gave your company money!!!!!! Enjoy your new toy, since you clearly aren’t focused on fixing your broken Windows product!!!! #richDoesNotEqualGoodPerson #yourMomShouldHaveToughtYouNotToRubHowMuchMoneyYouHaveInOthersFaces

Hi Andrew,

I absolutely love seeing your passion for 1Password! I really do. You and I are both discussing 1Password late on a Saturday night instead of watching the ball game and it’s because we both care about 1Password.

Now you know what I’m about to say as we’ve had this discussion many times now, but I feel it important to say it again: we have not given up on OPVault, we have not given up on WLAN Sync, we have not given up on licenses, and we have certainly not given up on Windows.

Just two weeks ago I introduced 1Password Windows for Teams and showed off all the incredibly hard work our Windows development team has accomplished in a relatively short period of time.

This post was clearly focused on our hosted subscription service, no doubt about it. And as we discussed, this was simply a matter of timing. 1Password 6 represents a complete rewrite so literally every bit and pixel is brand new and as such we had to pick and choose the things we could accomplish for the first release.

As for the standalone features, they are very important to us and we’re working our ways there. This is something we discuss every week around here, if not daily, and we’re prioritizing things the best we can to get them into the latest version of 1Password for Windows.

I wish we could give you your features sooner, Andrew. I really do. But we are in the middle of a very large transition to the latest and greatest technology stack and that simply takes time. I want it released as much as anyone else as I never like telling customers they need to wait.

We’ll continue to work our ways there, and yes, we’ll continue working weekends as well because we love what we do. ❤️

Take care Andrew, and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Andrew says:

Dave……The comment I made here was about how your CEO is spending his time showing off his expensive laptop purchases / rubbing his wealth in our faces. You didn’t respond to that at all. Not sure what the point of your reply was if you weren’t going to address what I said in my comment. Just more hot air…..something you seem to really enjoy!!!!!

What I wrote was “What kind of person thinks bragging about their expensive new toys while your products no longer work for the customers who supported you is a good idea?” Care to address that????? Or do you think it is better for him to just keep posting pictures of the luxury goods he buys. What will be next? Shiner’s new Tesla, or his solid gold toilet? More things those of us who can no longer use the latest version of 1P Windows are sure to enjoy.

Andrew says:

Now it looks like Shiner took the cowardly approach of editing the post to hide how he showed off the price……rather than addressing what he did / replying to my comments / or apologizing. Oh well…..just shows the kind of person he is. Edit – Delete – Hide – Pretend it didn’t happen – ignore the comments – wiggle out of it. Good work Shiner!!!!! Proving my point for me…..That you are the type of person who would rather hide his faults than address / fix them. Just as you haven’t fixed the Windows problems for years.

I don’t think it was cowardly at all, but if anyone thinks it was, then they should attribute that to me as I asked him specifically to update the image to focus on the important bits instead of the number of Canadian pesos it takes to buy the latest Mac Book Pro.

At this point Andrew I don’t think there’s much else either of us can write that would be helpful. Let’s just have a phone call and discuss things as I feel you and I have been out of sync for a while now.

Please email me at dave_teare@agilebits.com and we can set up a time that works for both of us.

Andrew says:

Neither you nor Shiner addressed my comment about him showing off his wealth / how much money he spent on his new expensive purchase. You instead changed the image to hide what he did. I think that is cowardly, just as I think anyone back peddling and actively trying to hide their mistakes is cowardly. I don’t care if you are a politician, corporate CEO, or average joe.

No one is perfect. But I respect those people who own up to their mistakes, rather than hiding them. Clearly one of you felt it was inappropriate as you have deleted that part of the image, and posted a whole new image without that part. But neither of you even responded to my comment before trying to hide what he did.

I agree…..if you two feel it is better to hide the evidence and ignore my comments, then this discussion is pointless!!!

• Jonathan
      Jonathan says:

@andrew: if you were to read what you posted in this thread as someone totally unaware of what you’ve gone through (as if you were me), do you think that wording it differently would be more effective?

I believe I understand where you’re coming from, and I’m sure these messages don’t reflect every angle of your personality, but I do think the intent of your message is getting lost to the way you’re articulating it here on this blog entry.

How things turn out can be incredibly frustrating when you really believe in a product and are under the assumption that it’ll develop in ways that will always meet your needs. I’ve been let down by other products in the past also, and it really hurts.

Most of the time, I had to come to the realization that there were other solutions and just move on. And that’s always a bummer since the initial experience can be like magic.

I’ve been using 1Password since 2011 when I got my first Mac and have continued to be positively impacted by almost everything they do and almost every change/update they make. It’s probably fair to say I represent one type of customer that AgileBits is actively pursuing. I’m not saying this to be snooty, just trying to provide some context. Your use case might be another type they’re pursuing, though the slower movement may be a case of resource (developer) availability. It’s probably fair to say (given the track record) that the Apple/iOS/macOS developers at AgileBits have been developing pretty hardcore for a while now. Regular updates, incredible features – all great – while historically, Windows development hasn’t been moving as quickly. It does look like that’s changing lately, but going at the speed of the macOS team isn’t easy. I do think their goal is to work their way to rapid development on Windows in a way that’s in line with their macOS development… but I don’t know what kind of expectation to have for that future, or even if it’s right for me to expect that.

Because of this, I think it’s an incredible thing that Dave offered to speak with you over a phone call. The salt level is extremely high, I get that. But sometimes, talking with someone on the phone can make all the difference.

And who knows? Maybe something is coming down the pipe in the relatively near future that will really help with your most pressing concerns. Or maybe talking with Dave will just help to clarify if your needs and AgileBits’ needs are headed in the same direction.

1. Justin
    Justin says:

Was looking to see if 1password had a plan for TouchID on the new Mac, and then I find an entire write up and demo already on the site the next day! 1password rocks!

Thank you so much for the kind words, Justin!

I too was looking forward to seeing what our design team came up with and was blown away to see it running in XCode already. I work with some truly amazing folks ❤️

I continue to dream about all the cool things we can do with the Touch Bar. For example, I wonder how 1Password mini could use it? The sky’s the limit ?

2. Anasha
    Anasha says:

Will it allow me to add 1P to the touchbar when in my browser? I definitely look forward to keeping my 1P locked all the time and pressing 1P-TouchID rather than CMND-\ to autofill, if that is plausible.

• Shiner
      Shiner says:

Hi Anasha,

I would absolutely love it if we could get the 1Password extension into the browser Touch Bar! At this point I haven’t looked far enough to say for certain, but it does not appear likely as we don’t have any control over the browser’s Touch Bar. We will keep digging.

3. Artem Pereverzev
    Artem Pereverzev says:

I wish there was a way to use the phone with TouchID in order to verify your identity and unlock 1password apps on other devices and the 1password account on the web. The flow would look like this: I navigate to the login page of my account or open the 1password app on my computer. The app/website asks me to identify myself. Somehow (maybe in a separate 1password login app) I identify myself by TouchID. The 1password app on my computer recognises me and unlocks the app/website. This is similar to how BankID (https://www.bankid.com/en/) works in Sweden. It is essentially a way to verify your identify when using services provided by banks, Swedish government agencies and other organisations.

• Michael Fey
      Michael Fey says:

This is a really cool idea, Artem! We’ve actually experimented with something quite similar ourselves and hope to bring to the light of day at some point in the future. Thanks for the feedback, we really appreciate it!

This would be really cool, Jonathan! Providing an SDK is something we’ve been very interested in for quite some time now but there are some serious security concerns we need to address before it can see the light of day.

Fingers crossed that we’ll see that day sooner than later ?

4. Andreas
    Andreas says:

That’s fantastic! 1Password was ever the reason why I missed Touch ID on my MacBook. I’m very happy to know, that you’re probably as exited as I’m.
    However, I wonder right now, if Apple let you include Touch ID support in the non-MAS version? Can you already say that? I haven’t found a word on the developer page.

• Shiner
      Shiner says:

Hi Andreas,

It’s great to hear that you are excited, I definitely am as well :)

I have not seen anything that limits Touch ID to MAS apps, so can say with reasonable confidence that it will work on both MAS and web store apps.

5. Greg
    Greg says:

I think the Touch ID support is really great. It’s a great phone feature, and I’m sure it will make a positive impact on the desktop experience.

I think the Touch Bar looks gimmicky, and not too useful in practical terms. I’m a heavy shortcut key user, so my opinion is likely skewed by already having quick access to most functions without using a mouse.

Hopefully I’m wrong and people find innovative things to build on the Touch Bar.

• Shiner
      Shiner says:

Thanks for your feedback Greg.

I am really looking forward to getting my new Mac so I can use Touch ID. I couldn’t imagine using my iPhone without it.

I have high hopes for the Touch Bar. I agree that it will be important to think through what is put on the Touch Bar, but feel that if we can use the Touch Bar in a natural, context sensitive way that it can add a lot of value.

Like yourself though, I am very interested to see what others build for the Touch Bar and how it changes the way we interact with our apps.

• Steven Fisher (@tewha)
      Steven Fisher (@tewha) says:

I’ve got a lot of hope for the Touch Bar. I haven’t really liked how the function keys have worked on Mac OS since they added the Fn key, way back before OS X. This looks like a return to how function keys were meant to be used, up to the user to specify application behavior.

I’m with you, Steven. I have high hopes for the Touch Bar and think I’ll love it once I get a chance to play with it first hand.

The function keys never really worked well for me either so I don’t feel like I’m giving up much in return for the Touch Bar. And of course it makes room for Touch ID, which I’d happily exchange all the function keys for even if the Touch Bar did nothing else ?

It’s always fun to watch Apple push the envelope, and I’m pretty sure they hit it out of the park with this one. ⚾️

Good morning, James! ☀️

Unlocking 1Password with your watch is an interesting idea and it’s something that’s definitely on our radar. The trick is doing so in a secure and reliable fashion. We’ll continue investigating this and will announce here once we solve all the technical challenges.

I want this for myself as well so hopefully our developers can do this soon ?

Hi Bernd,

We’ll see what we can do ?

Take care and enjoy the rest of your night. I hope you’re having a great weekend so far!

6. Andrew
    Andrew says:

“all activity at AgileBits stopped as our entire team watched the live stream”

WOW!!!! So your latest Windows release (after about a year with next to nothing for Windows) doesn’t work for any of your long term customers who use OPVault (the format you recommended for years), and instead of working on fixing the issues, you feel a better use of your team’s time is to:
    1) Have the entire team watch a ~2 hour live stream, rather than spend 5 minutes reading a summary after the fact, or having only the mac developers watch the event.
    2) Spend the 24 hours after the announcement developing new features for the mac version of 1 password, that don’t work with any computers currently released!!!
    3) Brag about how your CEO is buying one of the most expensive laptops in existence (glad our windows license money is helping you out)

I am starting to understand why Windows has been missing so many features for years. Everything at 1Password takes a back seat to watching Apple events / developing features for apple laptops that haven’t even been released yet / showing off your big ticket purchases and rubbing your wealth in everyone’s face.

As someone who paid you for a product only to see future releases that work for the OPVault format you recommended grind to a halt, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Andrew,

I know threading here on our blog is a pain so I’m going to repost my reply above to your other comment.

–––

Take care Andrew, and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Dave,

You have once again ignored most of the things I posted in my original comment. How about actually reading what I write before replying. I specifically wrote about the following:

1) “all activity at AgileBits stopped as our entire team watched the live stream”…..this sounds TERRIBLE when your current windows release doesn’t work for any of the long term windows customers who use OPVault. Why would you have your windows developers stop development to spend hours watching some stupid live stream that has no bearing on their work? It makes no sense to me!!!! Unless fixing the broken 1P Windows isn’t important to you.

2) Devoting significant development resources to cramming more features into your mac app within 24 hours after announcement, rather than putting those resources towards fixing your broken Windows products. Doing so shows that you care more about 1P Mac features, than fixing Windows.

3) Focusing on features for laptops that haven’t even been released yet, while your Windows product doesn’t work for customers who use the vault format you recommended for years. Again…..showing that features that only work for products that are NOT EVEN ON THE MARKET YET are more important than fixing windows.

As I have mentioned over an over again…….your ACTIONS indicate that you are focused on 1P Mac more than anything else by far. This blog post emphasizes that to the extreme, hence my comments here. And you not addressing any of the 3 points above from my original post doesn’t help either. How about responding to what I wrote, rather then just repeating the same company propaganda / hot air???

Dave…..you write:
      “I wish we could give you your features sooner, Andrew. I really do. But we are in the middle of a very large transition to the latest and greatest technology stack and that simply takes time.”

I would argue that it takes more time when you pull your “entire team” off the project to spend hours watching some stupid apple media event!!!!!

I would also argue that it takes more time when your team develops more and more mac features, instead of putting that time towards fixing windows.

I would argue that it takes more time when you spend time working on features that only work for laptops that haven’t been released yet.

I would argue that it takes more time when your CEO is working on bragging about his new $3,000 laptop rather than working with development teams on the actual product.

But if I am wrong, and doing those things doesn’t leave you with less time to work on the broken Windows product, fell free to correct me.

At this point Andrew I don’t think there’s much else either of us can write that would be helpful. Let’s get together on a phone call and discuss things as I feel you and I have been out of sync for a while now. Hearing each others voice will help a lot I think.

Andrew says:

“I feel you and I have been out of sync for a while now.”
      Easy to get out of sync when I write 3 specific points about how you handled the media event / touch bar, and you ignore all 3 points, repeating the same story about how Agile Bits got here / 1P windows history.

I then ask you specifically to address the 3 points that relate to the media event / touch bar, and you AGAIN don’t address any of them.

Yes……we are out of sync……and it is because you refuse to address what I am writing! Will you ignore all the points I bring up on the phone too? If so, there is no point in calling.

I agree that this is proving to be pointless. But nothing I can do if you ignore what I am saying.

Good morning, Simon! ☀️?

Our hearts and minds were thinking the same thing while Phil and Craig did their thing. It was like Christmas had come early! ?

I’m super excited about my new precious and unlocking 1Password using Touch ID – and super hopeful that Apple ships it early!

Take care and enjoy the rest of your Sunday,

Thank you so much, Adrián! My Spanish is…well let’s just call it nearly non-existent ? Thankfully I had Google help me craft this reply:

Muchas gracias! Estaban muy emocionados acerca de ello y no puede esperar a que nuestros nuevos MacBook Pro en llegar!

Hopefully Google did it right ?

Hi Bryan,

I appreciate your advice but I don’t see it this way. I will do whatever I can to help anyone, especially people who are passionate about using the latest and greatest version of 1Password.

Andrew has brought up valid points about our Windows release schedule not lining up with his needs and has shared the frustrations that we’ve caused him. While I stand by our decisions for why and how we’re rolling things out the way we are, I also feel for Andrew as I know I’d want the new shiny version as well if I were in his shoes.

I read a very interesting post by Tony Stubblebine late last night called How to Disagree By Using Yes, And. Within this post Tony coined a phase “invisibility anxiety” which I found fascinating. If I put myself in Andrew’s shoes I can imagine that our Windows release schedule could make me feel that my needs aren’t cared for; I’d feel “invisible” if you will. I suspect I’d talk much louder in an attempt to be heard.

When replying I always do my best to put myself in my customer’s shoes. It’s certainly not always possible and I get it wrong my fair share of times, but I try my best. And as Khad says on our company page, trained professionals don’t fight fire with fire ? ?

Dave,

While you and I may disagree on many things (like the value of having all of your Windows developers stop work to spend hours watching an apple media event), I think your response to bryanpietrzak is spot on. I agree 100%. My comments on this post were admittedly VERY harsh (possibly the harshest of anything I have ever posted on the net), and you have done a good job of not fighting “fire with fire”. Thanks, and sorry for the “fire” I have been spewing.

Case in point…..I had a harsh response to bryanpietrzak typed up and ready to go. It listed all the history of my many complaints about 1Password Windows development. But after seeing your (Dave’s) response, I am just going to take a deep breath and let it go. I have complained enough already. No need to start figthing with bryanpietrzak too.

Hopefully you will have the 1Password team stop watching media events / movies / tv / whatever and get back to work fixing the problems with 1Password Windows. That would make me happier than anything at this point. A 1Password Windows release that actually works with existing vaults. Please just do that!

Thanks Jay! It’s always awesome to hear from people who love 1Password as much as we do ❤️

Re: Andrew, please see my reply to Bryan above for a different perspective. We’re all on this 3rd rock from the sun together ?

With any luck my new MacBook Pro will ship early and I’ll be able to share more details and screenshots ?

7. Charley C.
    Charley C. says:

Hi Dave. I used to use 1Password, years ago. I switched to Dashlane a couple years back. Don’t remember why. Anyway…. I ordered my new MacBook Pro on 11/1/16, and have a delivery date of 12/14/16. Now that I want to have a password manager that syncs across devices, I either have to upgrade to Dashlane Premium, or find another application. Based on the latest features in 1Password, and honestly, THIS thread on the touch bar/touch id support coming, I’m seriously considering coming back to 1Password. As a has-been developer, it’s refreshing to see excitement for what the touch bar can bring to an app! I’m excited for you getting your new MBP, and slinging some touch bar xcode for 1Password! You may even have the app updated before I receive my MBP!

8. Joan
    Joan says:

It’s a pity that “Andrew” is so bitter about iPassword. There are other password programs for Windows. Obviously he doesn’t want them either. In the meantime I have used iPassword for years on my Mac. We have had several demos of the program at my MacUser Group (SWACKS) with enthusiastic response. Whenever I have had a problem the immediate response from Agilebits has been astounding. I too am getting a new MacBook Pro 15″. I was delighted to see that the Touch Bar will be even more useful than I anticipated now that I will be able to open it with my touch ID. Kudos to AgileBits!

Andrew says:

Joan…….The main motivation in not switching is not that I don’t “want” another Windows program. It has more to do with the difficulty of switching (I have several thousand items in multiple vaults on multiple devices). Switching everything and verifying everything works takes FOREVER. I did this when moving from LastPass to Keepass, and then from Keepass to 1Password. Both moves took a ton of work, and not everything transferred correctly. Especially complex items (multi page logins with multiple urls, etc) and secure notes with attachments. I had to manually fix these problems, which is quite time consuming. Switching password managers is not as easy as switching from one breakfast cereal to another!!!!

I would like to avoid going through this hassle again, but if 1Password decides to stop releasing windows products that work for existing customers (which is pretty much what they did for almost all of the last year), I will move elsewhere. 1Password and Dave, however, have repeatedly insisted that they are working hard on fixing the many problems with Windows. And that is why seeing Dave have his whole Windows development team stop working on the problems to spend hours watching some stupid unrelated Apple media event angered me.

You are a user of the 1Password mac product, which has the most features of any platform, works with all vault and all sync methods, is getting regular releases and bugfixes, is constantly getting new features (like the ones discussed in this post……..that don’t work with a single laptop that anyone actually has yet (outside of apple)), etc. You haven’t had the pleasure of buying into an ecosystem and watching them take your money to develop new products that don’t work for you any more.

How would you feel if one day you found out 1Password for mac was changing, and the changes would prevent you from using the new version going forward? And then when you asked Dave if something compatible would be released in the next 10 years, and he refused to commit to that. Would you be happy and excited about having to change to a new program? It sucks. And I hope you don’t have to deal with that. Being treated like you don’t matter compared to monthly subscription customers is really disappointing. Especially when you have followed their recommendations on vault formats, only to find that doing what they said means you can’t use the new version.

Maybe what I should have done was just jumped shipped once they stopped releasing new windows products, or when they eventually started releasing products that only work for people on paid monthly plans. But I trusted what Dave was saying, and wanted to give them a chance to fix the problems (not a chance to take the whole team to spend hours watching movies, watching media events, playing video games, or whatever he has them to do that doesn’t help fix their broken Windows product)

Another reason I am hesitant to switch is I use 1Password on multiple platforms (Windows, iOS, Android, and Mac), and have bought licenses for all those platforms. Those other platforms work well (much better than Windows), and I am very happy with them. It also took a while to setup everything so they would all sync together / work well together. Again…..switching password managers is not as easy as switching breakfast cereals!!!!

I had hoped my license money would have been used to make the Windows products better, not to make a Windows product that don’t work for existing OPVault users. My mistake I guess.

Thank you so much for the kind words, Joan! ❤️

It’s awesome to hear that you’re getting a new MacBook Pro. I too am getting the 15″ and I just got a notification from Apple that it has shipped! ? I can’t wait to play with Touch Bar myself and see how far we can push this cool new technology ?

Take care and enjoy the rest of your week!

9. dmin7b5
    dmin7b5 says:

I’m typing this on my old 2012 MBP while anxiously waiting for my new 15″ one which should arrive tomorrow. I’m so glad you guys are already thinking about Touch Bar integration. As a 1Password Families subscriber, when do you think you’ll have an update ready? I can’t wait. :-)

Great questions! Thanks for asking ?

You’ll be happy to hear that Touch ID and Touch Bar support are already available in the latest beta of 1Password! It will be included with our free 6.5 release. We’re pretty close to having all the loose ends tied off so with any luck we’ll have it officially released soon.

As for your anxiety, I too am typing on an old MacBook Pro so I hear you loud and clear. I also got the 15″ and am as anxious for my new precious as you are ?

10. Leo
    Leo says:

Hi,

Having read all the comments, I became curious about the OPVault format and read the design document.
    I have both 1Password for macOS, iOS, and Windows (for work). I keep my vaults in DropBox and I have not encountered any problems syncing the vaults with my devices. When I checked the my vaults, I’m still using the agilekeychain format.

Since the OPVault format is more secure, I’m tempted to upgrade my vaults to the new format.
    But there seems to be problems using the OPVault format on the Windows non-subscription version of 1Password.

Should I hold off converting my vault formats to OPVault in the mean time?

For people who converted the vaults and are encountering problems with the Windows version, perhaps you guys could release a tool for converting OPVaults back to agilekeychains?

Regards,
    Leo

Leo,

OPVault isn’t fully compatible with the new Windows version. I don’t think agilekeychain is either (but am not 100% sure). I have asked Dave for a time-frame on when the windows version would start to work with OPVault again, and he refused to commit to any time, even 10 years from now……so if you want to use the new version of 1Password……your only choice now is buying a subscription. And if you don’t want a subscription…..too bad. Either find a new password manager, or wait, wait, wait, wait, and hope one day they actually release something compatible.

• Leo
      Leo says:

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ve been going over the https://support.1password.com/switch-to-opvault/ page and discovered that my Help/Tools/Enable OPVault for DropBox and Folder Sync is already enabled and has been for a long time. So I guess I’m actually using OPVaults already.

My vaults are in DropBox and I don’t have any problems syncing on Windows. But then, I only have a few (less than a hundred) items in my vaults.

Perhaps you could create a new vault and copy/move your items there and check if syncing gets fixed?

Regards,
      Leo

Andrew says:

Leo…..syncing isn’t the main problem in the new windows client. It won’t let you save any changes if your vault is OPVault format

• Leo
      Leo says:

Hi Andrew,

You could be experiencing a Windows permission problem i.e. the 1Password app has no write permission on the folder where your vaults are stored. You could check by right-clicking on the folder, then check the ownership/permissions tab and make sure that your account is in there.

I once had a problem installing the Slack client on my Windows work machine and it turns out, the installer is trying to access a folder where only the admin account has access. I added my user to the folder permissions and I was able to fix it.

Hope this helps.
      Leo

Hi Leo,

Thanks for reaching out and thank you so much for reading our security design document! We live and breath this stuff and love it when people take the time to read about all the cool things we do to keep your data safe ❤️

It sounds to me like you are using 1Password 4 for Windows and not using our new hosted service. This is A-OK, I’m just making sure I’m understanding correctly ?

There are no concerns about switching to the OPVault format within 1Password 4 on Windows. I believe the confusion is coming from our new 1Password 6 for Windows version which initially only supports our hosted service. In the future it will have support for reading and writing OPVault data so you’ll have no problems upgrading when it’s ready.

In any event you should have no worries about using OPVault with 1Password 4 on Windows. Be sure you are using modern versions of 1Password on your other platforms as well and you should be fine.

Please let me know if you have any problems switching over and our team will be happy to help.

Andrew says:

Leo…..the problem isn’t a permissions issue at all. Dave and his team chose not to build in full support for OPVault to the new windows version (1Password 6). It only supports monthly subscriptions. They have said OPVault support will be added eventually, but weren’t willing to commit to having it in the next 10 years. So if you don’t want a monthly subscription, you will either not be able to use the new version, need to wait wait wait, or need to switch to another program.

• Leo
      Leo says:

Hi Dave, Andrew,

I get the problem now. I haven’t upgraded to version 6 for Windows yet apparently, and I’m still on version 4. Will upgrade to 6 when everything is fixed.

Regards,
      Leo

Sounds good, Leo! I’m glad I was able to help ?

By the way, I’m sure you won’t need to wait 10 years ? Andrew is simply referring to a conversation where I refused to give out any dates. I figured if I commented on hypothetical dates, there would simply be more questions about something I can’t comment upon. It’s hard as I’d love to spill the beans on all our plans but I’ve learned over the years it’s best to ship first and talk second ?

Take care Leo, and please don’t hesitate to reach out with any other questions you may have.