Having fun with Touch ID and the Touch Bar in 1Password

Yesterday was the special Apple event and all activity at AgileBits stopped as our entire team watched the live stream to see what goodies would be coming our way. For me, the most exciting news by far was the announcement of the new MacBook Pro with its amazing Touch Bar and Touch ID.

I remember how excited I was at the Apple developers conference when they first added Touch ID to iOS 8. I rushed back to the hotel, Xcode beta in hand, and added Touch ID to 1Password that very night. The joy of seeing 1Password unlock with just a tap was overwhelming.

Well, here I am again with that exact same feeling ?

Now that the new MacBook Pro’s have Touch ID we can bring that same great feeling you are used to on iPhone to your Mac, and it looks pretty darn cool too. Take a look for yourself and see!

As stunning as it looks in the Xcode simulator on my soon-to-be-obsolete late 2013, 15” 2.3 GHz Retina MacBook Pro, I can’t wait until my new Mac arrives so I can use it for real.

Oh, and then there’s the new Touch Bar. Wow! I was really excited seeing Phil demo this. The Touch Bar introduces a brand new world to the Mac and with it comes some wonderful opportunities to make 1Password even better. Dan, our designer extraordinaire, has begun to explore what the Touch Bar can bring to 1Password and I’d like to share some early designs.

Touch Bar for 1Password

What Dan has come up with is really exciting and I can’t wait to play with it. I think that switching between my work and home vaults with just a tap is going to be the most awesome, albeit sliding my finger across the Touch Bar to generate a strong password comes in a close second.

The possibilities with the Touch Bar are limitless and I am excited to hear how you see yourself using the new Touch Bar with 1Password.

Please share your thoughts in the comments below ❤️

• Andrew
      Andrew says:

Glad all the license money you guys took from 1P Windows users before you stopped releasing products that were compatible with existing OPVault customers has helped you get a new $3,000 laptop! What kind of person thinks bragging about their expensive new toys while your products no longer work for the customers who supported you is a good idea? I am so disappointed that I gave your company money!!!!!! Enjoy your new toy, since you clearly aren’t focused on fixing your broken Windows product!!!! #richDoesNotEqualGoodPerson #yourMomShouldHaveToughtYouNotToRubHowMuchMoneyYouHaveInOthersFaces

Hi Andrew,

I absolutely love seeing your passion for 1Password! I really do. You and I are both discussing 1Password late on a Saturday night instead of watching the ball game and it’s because we both care about 1Password.

Now you know what I’m about to say as we’ve had this discussion many times now, but I feel it important to say it again: we have not given up on OPVault, we have not given up on WLAN Sync, we have not given up on licenses, and we have certainly not given up on Windows.

Just two weeks ago I introduced 1Password Windows for Teams and showed off all the incredibly hard work our Windows development team has accomplished in a relatively short period of time.

This post was clearly focused on our hosted subscription service, no doubt about it. And as we discussed, this was simply a matter of timing. 1Password 6 represents a complete rewrite so literally every bit and pixel is brand new and as such we had to pick and choose the things we could accomplish for the first release.

As for the standalone features, they are very important to us and we’re working our ways there. This is something we discuss every week around here, if not daily, and we’re prioritizing things the best we can to get them into the latest version of 1Password for Windows.

I wish we could give you your features sooner, Andrew. I really do. But we are in the middle of a very large transition to the latest and greatest technology stack and that simply takes time. I want it released as much as anyone else as I never like telling customers they need to wait.

We’ll continue to work our ways there, and yes, we’ll continue working weekends as well because we love what we do. ❤️

Take care Andrew, and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• Andrew
      Andrew says:

Dave……The comment I made here was about how your CEO is spending his time showing off his expensive laptop purchases / rubbing his wealth in our faces. You didn’t respond to that at all. Not sure what the point of your reply was if you weren’t going to address what I said in my comment. Just more hot air…..something you seem to really enjoy!!!!!

What I wrote was “What kind of person thinks bragging about their expensive new toys while your products no longer work for the customers who supported you is a good idea?” Care to address that????? Or do you think it is better for him to just keep posting pictures of the luxury goods he buys. What will be next? Shiner’s new Tesla, or his solid gold toilet? More things those of us who can no longer use the latest version of 1P Windows are sure to enjoy.

• Andrew
      Andrew says:

Now it looks like Shiner took the cowardly approach of editing the post to hide how he showed off the price……rather than addressing what he did / replying to my comments / or apologizing. Oh well…..just shows the kind of person he is. Edit – Delete – Hide – Pretend it didn’t happen – ignore the comments – wiggle out of it. Good work Shiner!!!!! Proving my point for me…..That you are the type of person who would rather hide his faults than address / fix them. Just as you haven’t fixed the Windows problems for years.

I don’t think it was cowardly at all, but if anyone thinks it was, then they should attribute that to me as I asked him specifically to update the image to focus on the important bits instead of the number of Canadian pesos it takes to buy the latest Mac Book Pro.

At this point Andrew I don’t think there’s much else either of us can write that would be helpful. Let’s just have a phone call and discuss things as I feel you and I have been out of sync for a while now.

Please email me at dave_teare@agilebits.com and we can set up a time that works for both of us.

• Andrew
      Andrew says:

Neither you nor Shiner addressed my comment about him showing off his wealth / how much money he spent on his new expensive purchase. You instead changed the image to hide what he did. I think that is cowardly, just as I think anyone back peddling and actively trying to hide their mistakes is cowardly. I don’t care if you are a politician, corporate CEO, or average joe.

No one is perfect. But I respect those people who own up to their mistakes, rather than hiding them. Clearly one of you felt it was inappropriate as you have deleted that part of the image, and posted a whole new image without that part. But neither of you even responded to my comment before trying to hide what he did.

I agree…..if you two feel it is better to hide the evidence and ignore my comments, then this discussion is pointless!!!

• Jonathan
      Jonathan says:

@andrew: if you were to read what you posted in this thread as someone totally unaware of what you’ve gone through (as if you were me), do you think that wording it differently would be more effective?

I believe I understand where you’re coming from, and I’m sure these messages don’t reflect every angle of your personality, but I do think the intent of your message is getting lost to the way you’re articulating it here on this blog entry.

How things turn out can be incredibly frustrating when you really believe in a product and are under the assumption that it’ll develop in ways that will always meet your needs. I’ve been let down by other products in the past also, and it really hurts.

Most of the time, I had to come to the realization that there were other solutions and just move on. And that’s always a bummer since the initial experience can be like magic.

I’ve been using 1Password since 2011 when I got my first Mac and have continued to be positively impacted by almost everything they do and almost every change/update they make. It’s probably fair to say I represent one type of customer that AgileBits is actively pursuing. I’m not saying this to be snooty, just trying to provide some context. Your use case might be another type they’re pursuing, though the slower movement may be a case of resource (developer) availability. It’s probably fair to say (given the track record) that the Apple/iOS/macOS developers at AgileBits have been developing pretty hardcore for a while now. Regular updates, incredible features – all great – while historically, Windows development hasn’t been moving as quickly. It does look like that’s changing lately, but going at the speed of the macOS team isn’t easy. I do think their goal is to work their way to rapid development on Windows in a way that’s in line with their macOS development… but I don’t know what kind of expectation to have for that future, or even if it’s right for me to expect that.

Because of this, I think it’s an incredible thing that Dave offered to speak with you over a phone call. The salt level is extremely high, I get that. But sometimes, talking with someone on the phone can make all the difference.

And who knows? Maybe something is coming down the pipe in the relatively near future that will really help with your most pressing concerns. Or maybe talking with Dave will just help to clarify if your needs and AgileBits’ needs are headed in the same direction.

1. Justin
    Justin says:

Was looking to see if 1password had a plan for TouchID on the new Mac, and then I find an entire write up and demo already on the site the next day! 1password rocks!

Thank you so much for the kind words, Justin!

I too was looking forward to seeing what our design team came up with and was blown away to see it running in XCode already. I work with some truly amazing folks ❤️

I continue to dream about all the cool things we can do with the Touch Bar. For example, I wonder how 1Password mini could use it? The sky’s the limit ?

2. Anasha
    Anasha says:

Will it allow me to add 1P to the touchbar when in my browser? I definitely look forward to keeping my 1P locked all the time and pressing 1P-TouchID rather than CMND-\ to autofill, if that is plausible.

• Shiner
      Shiner says:

Hi Anasha,

I would absolutely love it if we could get the 1Password extension into the browser Touch Bar! At this point I haven’t looked far enough to say for certain, but it does not appear likely as we don’t have any control over the browser’s Touch Bar. We will keep digging.

3. Artem Pereverzev
    Artem Pereverzev says:

I wish there was a way to use the phone with TouchID in order to verify your identity and unlock 1password apps on other devices and the 1password account on the web. The flow would look like this: I navigate to the login page of my account or open the 1password app on my computer. The app/website asks me to identify myself. Somehow (maybe in a separate 1password login app) I identify myself by TouchID. The 1password app on my computer recognises me and unlocks the app/website. This is similar to how BankID (https://www.bankid.com/en/) works in Sweden. It is essentially a way to verify your identify when using services provided by banks, Swedish government agencies and other organisations.

• Michael Fey
      Michael Fey says:

This is a really cool idea, Artem! We’ve actually experimented with something quite similar ourselves and hope to bring to the light of day at some point in the future. Thanks for the feedback, we really appreciate it!

This would be really cool, Jonathan! Providing an SDK is something we’ve been very interested in for quite some time now but there are some serious security concerns we need to address before it can see the light of day.

Fingers crossed that we’ll see that day sooner than later ?

4. Andreas
    Andreas says:

That’s fantastic! 1Password was ever the reason why I missed Touch ID on my MacBook. I’m very happy to know, that you’re probably as exited as I’m.
    However, I wonder right now, if Apple let you include Touch ID support in the non-MAS version? Can you already say that? I haven’t found a word on the developer page.

• Shiner
      Shiner says:

Hi Andreas,

It’s great to hear that you are excited, I definitely am as well :)

I have not seen anything that limits Touch ID to MAS apps, so can say with reasonable confidence that it will work on both MAS and web store apps.

5. Greg
    Greg says:

I think the Touch ID support is really great. It’s a great phone feature, and I’m sure it will make a positive impact on the desktop experience.

I think the Touch Bar looks gimmicky, and not too useful in practical terms. I’m a heavy shortcut key user, so my opinion is likely skewed by already having quick access to most functions without using a mouse.

Hopefully I’m wrong and people find innovative things to build on the Touch Bar.

• Shiner
      Shiner says:

Thanks for your feedback Greg.

I am really looking forward to getting my new Mac so I can use Touch ID. I couldn’t imagine using my iPhone without it.

I have high hopes for the Touch Bar. I agree that it will be important to think through what is put on the Touch Bar, but feel that if we can use the Touch Bar in a natural, context sensitive way that it can add a lot of value.

Like yourself though, I am very interested to see what others build for the Touch Bar and how it changes the way we interact with our apps.

• Steven Fisher (@tewha)
      Steven Fisher (@tewha) says:

I’ve got a lot of hope for the Touch Bar. I haven’t really liked how the function keys have worked on Mac OS since they added the Fn key, way back before OS X. This looks like a return to how function keys were meant to be used, up to the user to specify application behavior.

I’m with you, Steven. I have high hopes for the Touch Bar and think I’ll love it once I get a chance to play with it first hand.

The function keys never really worked well for me either so I don’t feel like I’m giving up much in return for the Touch Bar. And of course it makes room for Touch ID, which I’d happily exchange all the function keys for even if the Touch Bar did nothing else ?

It’s always fun to watch Apple push the envelope, and I’m pretty sure they hit it out of the park with this one. ⚾️

Good morning, James! ☀️

Unlocking 1Password with your watch is an interesting idea and it’s something that’s definitely on our radar. The trick is doing so in a secure and reliable fashion. We’ll continue investigating this and will announce here once we solve all the technical challenges.

I want this for myself as well so hopefully our developers can do this soon ?