opm6-6-shadowed

Introducing 1Password 6.6 for Mac

I’m happy to announce we just finished assembling a new version of 1Password! It’s working its way through the update engines around the world now and hopefully it’s ready for you by the time you finish reading this. 🙂

The biggest change in this release is a whole new setup experience. We’ll dive into that in a moment, but first I’d like to share a cool new feature for those of you lucky enough to have one of those sexy new MacBook Pros.

We’ve been experimenting with the new Touch Bar since the beginning and added Touch Bar support along with Touch ID back in November as soon as the new Macs were available.

Today we’re taking the next step tap and giving you the ability to customize your Strong Password Generator settings directly from your Touch Bar!

I always enjoy the feel of tapping actions on the Touch Bar but sliding your finger across it is even better! Trust me, you’ll have a hard time customizing your password length just once. 😀

There’s several other changes in this release as well, but let’s dive right into the big one now.

New Setup Flow

The biggest change is one that most of you probably won’t see until the next time you’re setting up a new Mac. Those new MacBook Pros with Touch ID really are pretty sweet so hopefully this isn’t too far in your future! 😉

Starting today we have a lovely new flow for the setup screens1. Like their little cousin on iOS did earlier, 1Password for Mac makes getting started much simpler.

Now when you launch 1Password on a new Mac you’ll be greeted with a lovely page asking you if you’ve used 1Password before:

opm6-6-setup-screen

Those of you who have already been rocking with 1Password can use your existing data, and everyone else who’s just getting started can begin their free trial.

Free Trials From Mac App Store

We’ve always wanted everyone to be able to try 1Password before needing to purchase. Our website version has supported free trials since the very beginning, but it wasn’t possible in the Mac App Store when we first published 1Password there way back in 2011.

Thankfully Apple gave us a wonderful present at their Worldwide Developers Conference last year that made this possible for Mac App Store users as well.

1Password now comes with a 30 day free trial in the Mac App Store. Those downloading 1Password for the first time will start their trial and be prompted to subscribe once their trial expires:

opm-6-6-subscribe

Your single subscription allows you to use 1Password on all your devices and always have access to the latest versions.

Those who previously purchased 1Password in the Mac App Store will continue to be able to use 1Password as before and are not required to subscribe to our 1Password membership. Although there are a lot of great reasons why you should…

Benefits of a 1Password Membership

introducingI’ve been a license holder since the beginning. In fact, I’m pretty sure I got the first license we ever made!

If you’re a longtime license holder of 1Password like I was, I’m sure you’re wondering what all the hullabaloo is over our new service. I’m glad you asked and I’m happy to unlock that mystery for you! 🙂

There are a lot of benefits to a 1Password Membership over a standalone license, but for me it boils down to convenience, security, and peace of mind.

convenience-updatesLet’s start with convenience. With a membership, all I do is log in on a new device and all my data is there. I can even organize my items in multiple vaults and they all appear instantly.

And the best part is my membership gives me access to the latest version of 1Password on all my devices so I don’t need to worry about managing any licenses. I’m really happy that I don’t need to say “1Password is sold on a per-person, per-platform basis, with paid upgrades for major new versions” anymore. 🙂

double-securityOn the security side of things, I absolutely love our new encryption design that leverages Galois/Counter Mode for efficient authenticated encryption and our ingenious Two Secret Key Derivation starring our unique Account Key.

I know I know, I’m a huge geek and love the details, but these and many other things all add up to better performance and a secure-er than ever way to protect your data. You can check out our security page for a nice high level review, along with a detailed White Paper for my fellow geeks reading this. 👋

As for peace of mind, this one is priceless. I simply sleep better at night.

sleep-at-night

With my 1Password membership, I know that all my data is backed up automatically for me, and every change is remembered so I can go back in time and restore my precious items whenever I need to. And with our Family account I can securely share passwords with Sara so she has access to everything she needs.

In short, I’m absolutely loving my 1Password membership. It’s the best way to use 1Password.

love-1password

Becoming a 1Password Member

If these benefits excite you and you want to join me, becoming a 1Password member is super easy.

You can jump on board and migrate all of your data over in just a few short steps. We have a quick guide on how to setup a new account and move over your data, along with a nice video showing how easy it is to do.

I know you’re busy so I’m happy to say you can finish the entire process in just a few minutes. Start by creating your new account here:

Start Your Free Trial Today

Often it feels like I’ve been using all these great new features for a lifetime, but looking back we introduced 1Password Teams only 15 months ago, 1Password Families almost exactly one year ago, and 1Password Memberships just 6 months ago.

It’s amazing how quickly I came to rely on these benefits and how I was able to fall in love with 1Password all over again. I think you will, too.

Enjoy! ❤️ 🇨🇦

1. Those with eagle eyes might be saying “again?” since 1Password 6.5 had a new setup experience for those who downloaded from our website. But we’ve iterated on the design and now everyone gets to join in on the fun, including those who install using the Mac App Store.
  1. Dave Teare

P.S. I absolutely loved the illustrations Benji created for this post. Let’s give him a round of applause! 👏

• pierrer0y
      pierrer0y says:

I was just going to mention your illustrations. I’ve fallen in love with the illustration style throughout your entire product lineup. The colours and mood of each illustration is absolutely beautiful and I really love them all. Benji’s great!!

Thank you so much for saying so, Pierre! 🤗

I’ve passed your kind words along to our entire design so your words can warm their hearts as much as they warmed mine. ❤️

2. Robert Girouard
    Robert Girouard says:

I long-time user, I have downloaded this version to my 2013 MB Pro running OS 10.12.3.

When I open 1Password’s preferences, I no longer see a Sync icon. What gives?

Also, when I try to install the Safari extension, I get: Safari can’t install this extension. An error occurred while installing the extension “1Password”.

OTOH, the newly downloaded version of 1Password is running just fine on my 2009 iMac running El Capitan.

Hi Robert, 👋

I’m sorry I wasn’t able to reply to you sooner – my wrists are on fire with RSI from all the typing I’ve been doing this week so I’ve needed to rest them.

By the sounds of things you downloaded 1Password on to your 2013 MacBook Pro and started your free 30 day trial. Since 1Password members don’t need to sync their data themselves we don’t bother to show the Sync icon in the Preferences window.

What you’ll want to do is select Dropbox or iCloud (whichever one you’re reading) during setup and take it from there. You’ll also need to add your license if you purchased from our website.

As for Safari, try installing the 1Password extension directly from the Safari Extension Gallery and see if that makes a difference. If not, try rebooting. Sadly I’m not making that last part up. If things persist, please let me know and we’ll take it from there.

I hope that helps. Take care,

• Robert Girouard
      Robert Girouard says:

With regard to your answer to my post to the blog, be advised that I am dealing directly with Pilar who is helping me resolve the problems that I am having with 1P.

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know, Robert.

It’s great to hear Pilar is helping you. You’re in good hands! 🤗

3. Mk_Dan
    Mk_Dan says:

I don’t like this move, because I am absolutely not interested in a subscription. I bought the 1Password app on Mac App Store previously and I can only hope that you stick to your word and let me use it without subscribing. If not you will loose me as a customer. Maybe it is best to already look for an alternative…

Hello! 👋

Your purchase from the Mac App Store gives you access to all the standalone features of 1Password 6 without becoming a 1Password member. You’ll also receive all version 6 updates for free. We simply look at your receipt to see that you’ve purchased and if you have you’re all set.

I hope that helps. Take care,

Hi Nate! 👋

Your purchase from the Mac App Store gives you access to all the standalone features of 1Password 6 and you’ll receive all version 6 updates for free. Since you purchased we’re able to inspect your receipt and ensure 1Password doesn’t go into readonly mode.

I hope that helps clear things up. Please let me know if you have any further questions. 🙂

4. George
    George says:

Does this mean that those of us who have purchased the iOS ($14.99) and MacOS ($65) versions will now have to begin paying a subscription if we update?

Hi George, 👋

Thanks for asking!

Your license is as good today as it was last week. Nothing has changed for you as your license entitles you to to continue using 1Password 6 for as long as you want. If you’d like to keep rocking your license as you have been, more power to you. 🤘

If you’d like to access the features of our new 1Password memberships you will need to create an account and then subscribe after your 30 day free trial.

I hope that helps. Take care,

5. Stuart
    Stuart says:

Great illustrations I agree but what’s happening for us Windows users?

What’s the roadmap / estimated release time of the next ‘big’ version – Q2, Q3, Q4?

There’s a horribly annoying bug in 1Password 6 – you start typing in the name of the account in the 1Password search bar (e.g. Gmail) and just as you go to click on the listed entry the focus disappears meaning you have to search again. It only happens intermittently.

It’d also be good if you could allow users to deauthorize Windows computers from the 1Password 6 Windows desktop version. You can deauthorize browsers but not computers and it leaves it untidy meaning I have to scroll through the various computers.

Hi Stuart,

That’s a great question! Well, I guess I should say questions. 🙂

The bug you’re encountering during search should be addressed already in the 6.3 beta. We’re getting close to rolling this out to the official release channel so with any luck you shouldn’t need to put up with this for much longer. Please make sure you’ve updated to the latest version of 1Password so you’re ready when this release comes out.

As for deauthorizing Windows devices: second verse, same as the first! 🎶 🙂

You should be all set on both accounts once we publish 6.3. I’d tell you when the planned roll out date is but I don’t want to spoil the surprise! 🎉 It’s coming up soon though so no worries about needing to wait too too long. 😉

6. aforty
    aforty says:

You make reference to the security white paper but many sections are still denoted with a “Incomplete Content” banner and the last update was in 2015. Most of it goes over my head anyway but I find these interesting to read. Any plans to complete and update it with up-to-date information?

Hello, @aforty!

It’s awesome to hear you were reading the White Paper! We love discussing these details and are always excited when someone takes the time to read it. 😃

You’re right, the White Paper we currently have published has a few sections in it that we knew we wanted to be in there but didn’t have the time to complete. We felt it better to include the “Incomplete Content” so our intentions would be clear rather than leave it out and have people asking us to add these sections.

Either path led to questions so our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts took the simplest path and simply left these placeholders within the first version.

Jeff has a second iteration of the White Paper where a lot of these sections have been completed. This new version is almost ready and he will be publishing it relatively soon.

Hi Šimon, 👋

This is an interesting question. I don’t think I can say anything about the future with 100% certainty. For one thing I might be abducted by aliens tomorrow and not be around to make sure my promises are carried out. 🙂

In all seriousness, I’m really not being cheeky here. Life happens and often takes us in unexpected directions.

This reminds me of a promise I made almost a decade ago now where I said 1Password would add WebDAV sync so we could sync with MobileMe. I made this promise after we had a working prototype of 1Password syncing internally with WebDAV so I felt this was an easy enough promise to keep.

Then life happened. Jack was born and I simply didn’t have time to finish the rest of the WebDAV project (the last 20% tends to require 80% of the work) while juggling two kids under 3 and taking care of the day-to-day operations of a multinational company with millions of users.

Long story short, after a year or so I had to eat my hat and admit defeat as we just didn’t have time to complete development of that feature. In the end it turned out pretty well as soon afterwards Steve Jobs stood up on stage and declared MobileMe was dead and the world moved on. Still, I learned an important lesson that day and have never forgotten.

So no, I will not promise that 1Password 7 or 8 will allow licenses to be used instead of memberships. These releases are too far in the future to make any promises about.

Now that I rambled on about what I can’t say, let’s talk about what I can say. 🙂 Let’s take a look at some history as that’s not going change so it’s easy to talk authoritatively about it.

Fist of all we always try our best to help customers when they need help regardless of what version of 1Password they are using or how they purchased it. To this day we still get questions about 1Password 3 and we answer them and take care of our users. Sure we nudge them that it’s time to upgrade, but some customers are rocking older versions of macOS Mac OS X and simply cannot update.

We’ll do the same with licenses. No matter which way the cookie crumbles we’re going to support users and help them through their questions.

The other bit of history we can look at is how we’ve rolled 1Password memberships out to the world. It would have been much easier to simply kill licenses outright and make memberships as the only way to use 1Password. It would have saved countless hours of development and design, not to mention documentation and greatly simplified support.

You can see a lot of this complexity at play in this release as well. Underneath the More Options button on the setup screen screenshot I included in this post you will find the ability to create a standalone local vault. A lot of effort went into keeping this ability within the app alongside memberships, and in fact this was why I announced this at the end of February instead of the beginning of January. I know this for certain as not only did we need to code this but we then ended up spending weeks in App Review because we have a unique model that no other app has.

We wouldn’t be here without people like you so we are doing our best to not rock the boat too much and instead entice you to create your 1Password membership. As my mom always told me, you get more people at the dinner table when dessert is ready. 😉 As such we’ll continue rolling forward with 1Password memberships and keep licenses around for as long as we can.

I know that doesn’t answer your question exactly but I hope it gets close enough to give you some comfort.

Take care and thank you for your support! We really wouldn’t be here without you. ❤️

Hi Daniel,

I’m very sorry to disappoint you. That’s the exact opposite reaction I was going for! 🤕

So first things first, your license is as good today as it was last week. Nothing has changed for you as your license entitles you to to continue using 1Password 6 for as long as you want. If you’d like to keep rocking your license as you have been, more power to you. 🤘

Now if you’re excited about the new features of our 1Password memberships and would like to take advantage of them it’s time for us to take the next step in this dance of ours. 💃 🕺

And this is where things get even more interesting. We indeed do not have any discounts available for your license directly. I would absolutely love to have a way for all users to trade in their licenses for a credit on a new 1Password membership. This credit would vary depending on how long you’ve had the license and it would be a great thing to have. I’ve talked to the team a lot about this and tried to find a way to roll it out but it’s a lot more involved than you might expect. For example the Mac App Store has some strict rules about this and there’s been some famous examples of Apple stepping up when developers cross the fine (and often hard to see) line. Here’s one of the more famous examples that happened to Omni:

Omni Group Forced To Stop Offer Mac App Store Customers Paid Upgrades

I think given enough time and resources we could find a way but we’re all here for only a finite amount of time on this earth so I’d rather be spending our time on creating new updates that all our users can benefit from.

So long story short I don’t have a way for you to trade in your license per se, but I do have a trick up my sleeve that I hope you’ll like. If you create your 1Password membership using this link you will get an additional 5 months on your 30 day trial. That gives you your first 6 months free.

I hope that helps cheer you up, Daniel. I’m sorry again for upsetting you but with any luck I’ve managed to turn that frown upside down. 🙃

Hi @truhe, 👋

This is a good question! With our 1Password memberships all your data automatically syncs to all your devices through our hosted service. To make things as simple as possible we streamlined things as much as we could so users don’t need to think about setting anything up or worry about configuring something wrong. You simply login and you’re done. There’s no step two or step three. 😃

One of the really cool things about us being in control of the 1Password apps and the servers is we’re able to optimize syncing and make it as fast and reliable as possible. We even added push notifications so as soon as any of your data is updated on one device it appears automatically on all your other devices instantly.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• Alexander
      Alexander says:

I use a combination of a 1password account and dropbox sync. I had a license a year and a half before the subscription launched and I kind of liked the idea of dropping dropbox and also getting major updates in the future.

I started a new job about a month ago where they already used 1password with a vault in a shared dropbox folder and after enabling “allow creation of vaults outside of 1password accounts” in advanced settings I’m able to use this shared vault together with my own vaults in the 1password account. It’s not the most polished thing though because I have to also have an empty local “primary” vault to do the unlocking with but if you’re only subscribing for the license and not using the built in sync you probably wouldn’t notice this anyway.

I’m also able to open a combination of 1password accounts and dropbox in the ios app. Haven’t used android for a while and don’t need the dropbox vault on my windows pc at home so I’m not sure how those two versions handle it though.

Thanks for chiming in, Alexander. I appreciate it. 🙂

You’re totally right, on iOS and on Mac you can setup 1Password to use a combination of 1Password accounts as well as syncing other vaults using Dropbox. We knew there would be many users like you so we wanted to make 1Password as flexible as possible to accommodate you. 😃

You mentioned Android and you can indeed do something similar these, but there are two important things to keep in mind. First, you need to start by adding your Dropbox vault and then adding your 1Password accounts second. The other part to keep in mind is you can only have a single Dropbox vault added on Android.

But otherwise you can do the same thing you did on iOS and Mac.

7. Ken
    Ken says:

What changed from six months ago?

“With that said, we know that some of you have regional or corporate restrictions that require you to use a cloud-free solution. Others prefer configuring their own sync service or are simply happy with their current setup.

This is all great and you’re free to continue doing exactly what you’ve been doing. Our standalone license is still available for purchase and will continue to be supported, along with great updates to the apps.”

Good morning, Ken! ☀️

That’s a great question! A lot has changed since 6 months ago. Let’s take a quick run down of things…

After introducing 1Password memberships 6 months ago, we’ve updated 1Password for Android to add a lot of sweetness including support for Nougat, added Pro Features for 1Password Teams, made sure 1Password worked great on macOS Sierra and iOS 10, we helped folks with the Yahoo data breach and the Cloudflare scare, released 1Password Windows for Teams, added Touch ID and Touch Bar support to 1Password on Mac, and released some big updates for iOS and Mac as well. We even have some more news to share on Android and Windows sides of the world as well that we just haven’t had a chance to write up just yet.

So yeah, a whole heck of a lot has happened here in the last 6 months. It’s been a wild ride! 🎢 😃

As for supporting standalone licenses, nothing has changed there. All the Mac and iOS and Android updates listed above continue to support licenses, and we’re certainly still helping customers who contact us with questions about 1Password regardless of how they are using 1Password. The fact we are still helping customers who write in with questions about 1Password 3 is a pretty good indicator of how far we bend over backwards to help our users.

What has changed is our setup screens have been reimagined to have 1Password memberships as the default path for all new users on all platforms. The response from customers for memberships in general has been amazing so far. Memberships truly are the best way to use 1Password today so we’re really excited to make this change for all new users.

For those that have corporate or regional restrictions that prevent them from getting all the greatness of a 1Password membership, they can click on More Options during setup and create themselves a standalone vault and sync it using WLAN Sync or however they want. It’s not something we recommend to the general user but it is an option when required.

So you’re free to continue rocking your 1Password license if you prefer but I’m going to making sure that new users have the best possible experience possible. And I’m hoping in time you’ll make the switch as well as memberships simplify a huge number of things for everyone and unlock many new features as well.

Take care Ken and enjoy the rest of your week! 👋

• makerken
      makerken says:

Thanks Dave!

I’ve been using 1Password for years, and have sold many on the benifits of 1Password. For the 99.x% I think the membership is great, it just works. But for the long time loyal geeks, your most loyal base, getting overly technical is half the fun.

I’m happy to pay the same in upgrades for the amount I’d pay for a membership. I have found alternatives instead of ever using subscription software, glad I don’t have to choose.

8. Michal
    Michal says:

I’m absolutely against the subscription model if it replaces the one time purchase option instead of complementing it as an option. As much as I like your software I do not see enough value to renting it out as opposed to just paying one time for it. Sorry.

Hi Michal,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. 🙂

Would you mind elaborating on what it is about subscriptions that has you turned off? It would be great to know.

• Ian
      Ian says:

I agree. I do not like paying a recurring price for software. Paying once and using forever is reasonable since I can stick with a version I like and use it for as long as I want. Renting software via subscriptions means I can’t use it any more if I stop paying… in the end, I likely end up paying a lot more for the software over the course of a few years.

Additionally, I do not trust my passwords to be stored on other people’s servers. I want to be in full control of the data. A prime example of why: CloudFlare’s recent critical vulnerability that exposes user’s data unencrypted.

• Jeffrey Goldberg
      Jeffrey Goldberg says:

Hi Ian! I’m glad your brought up CloudFlare.

I think that what happened with CloudFlare and how it does not affect the security of 1Password illustrates the strength of our security design. We built 1Password to not depend on the secrecy of TLS. Also security choices must be considered with respect to the alternatives. I don’t know how you synchronize your 1Password data, but unless you are a very unusual person taking extreme measures, I would be surprised if it were actually more secure than using our service.

Thank you, Tyrone! I’m glad you liked this update as much as we did 🙂

As for those illustrations, Benji blows me away every time. He loves to doodle and once he gets started he can’t stop himself. That makes me want to write more, which allows him to doodle more. It’s a virtuous cycle! 🤗

9. vinology
    vinology says:

Love 1Password, but no interest at all in the membership version. Please keep supporting the standalone licensees, we supported 1Password development way back when it was just an early adopter geek tool 😉👌🏼

Hi Vinology,

Thanks for sharing your love of 1Password with us. ❤️ We have a lot in common. 🙂 And thank you so much for supporting us since the beginning – we wouldn’t be here today without you.

You brought up a really good point with your “early adopter geek tool” comment that I would like to elaborate on. You’re absolutely right, in the beginning 1Password was indeed quite geeky and only approachable by those who were very technical. Remember SIMBL and swizzling Safari? Those were the days! 😃

Over the years (I’d say “after over a decade” but it makes me feel old so I’m going to avoid saying that 😉) we poked and pushed and prodded the technologies forward and repeatedly simplified things where ever possible. As a result 1Password became increasingly accessible to a much wider audience.

Today the majority of people who sign up just want to protect themselves and have no interest in the technology itself. They simply want to be able to access their data everywhere and don’t want to think about configuring 3rd party sync options, managing licenses across multiple platforms, purchasing upgrades and manually installing major new versions.

That gets the ball rolling but it’s just the starting point as the benefits of 1Password memberships go much further than “just” simplifying the user experience. By having a centralized server we’re able to provide additional features that were not possible before. Things like data loss protection, web access with full edit capabilities, item revision history, and managed backups are awesome additions to 1Password that many users love.

Having control of both the 1Password apps and the server is a huge game changer for our developers and a big win for our users.

And so far we’ve only talked about the benefits for individuals. For Families and Teams, our new approach is simply amazing. Things like being able to easily invite people, share vaults with a single click, control what they can do with the items you share, and securely restore a family member or colleague’s access to their vaults without us (AgileBits) ever being in possession of any decryption keys is unparalleled.

There’s other things I can touch on as well but suffice it to say that 1Password memberships are the best way to use 1Password today and that is why it is the default for all new users. With that said, I know there are people out there who are subject to corporate and regional restrictions that require them to use WLAN Sync and as such you still can create a standalone vault from underneath the More Options button on the initial setup screen. It’s not something we recommend as it requires a more technical user who’s comfortable managing everything themselves.

Long story short, we continue to support our long time supporters who are managing their standalone vaults themselves so you’re not forced to switch over. But I will be spreading the good word about 1Password memberships whenever possible and I’ll be trying to nudge you over when ever I can 🙂

10. Ernst Sauer
    Ernst Sauer says:

Well, I would love to get the Subscruption but I’m from Germany and i don’t have a Credit card… PayPal or another payment method would be awesome.

Hi Ernst,

Thanks for sharing this issue with us. We have quite a few customers from Germany so that part’s certainly not an issue. 😉

As for the credit card part, that is indeed a bit of a rub. We used to support PayPal with our old store front so in theory we could add it again but quite frankly it was enough of a pain that I really don’t want to add it back unless we absolutely need to.

Are there any prepaid Visa cards or something similar in Germany? They’ve become increasingly populate here in Canada. Hopefully you can get one as it makes shopping online a lot easier and with our annual subscription option you could set things up to pay just once a year.

Good morning, Ernst! ☀️

I slept on it and realized I forgot to share another solution with you about how to subscribe to 1Password without having a credit card. You could purchase some iTunes gift cards to get credit on your Apple ID and then subscribe to 1Password from within the iOS or Mac App Store apps.

Hopefully either this or the prepaid visa card approach I mentioned earlier works for you.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your week! 👋

• Yako
      Yako says:

Hey Dave. Ernst is right. Credit cards are not really common in Germany as they’re not required for any domestic services (and most won’t even accept them). Personally I have a credit card and I’m using it for my 1P subscription but I’d rather switch to PayPal. Hope you can implement it in the future. And while I am indeed using gift cards for iTunes, I really only use that to pay for my Apple Music subscription. I don’t want to think about having to top it up for all kinds of services.

Thanks for chiming in, Yako. It’s great to hear from you. 🙂

I agree it would be cool if we could add support for PayPal or another payment method that doesn’t rely solely on credit cards. I don’t see us being able to add it any time soon though as this would complicate a lot of things and quite frankly we have our hands full with enough other fun problems to keep us busy for quite a while.

Still, it would be a great addition so hopefully we can get to this in the relatively near future.

11. Dan
    Dan says:

just bought 1Password for my Macbook for 65$ 1 Week ago – life long version. Now I just learn, that through my update of 1p I just have changed to the yearly paying mode. So in short terms – I pay you twice!?!

But much worser – after the update 1pw is not working any more. Ok, I surfed the web and a turnaround has been announced (in English – so I do not get everything, very helpful). But anyway, not everyone is found of trial and error offers and not everyone understands this turnourund tricks – thats why I payed that much for 1pw and expected some service in exchange. But ok. im over 40, so probably I’m just too old and too stupid to be bothered with.

Hi Dan,

I’m sorry for the confusion. It sounds like you encountered the issue where macOS would not allow 1Password to launch. Are you up and running now? I think you are but I just wanted to make sure.

As for your license that you just purchased, your license is as good today as it was last week. Nothing has changed for you as your license entitles you to to continue using 1Password 6 for as long as you want. If you’d like to keep rocking your license as you have been, more power to you. 🤘

Omni Group Forced To Stop Offer Mac App Store Customers Paid Upgrades

As for being over 40 and not to be bothered with, that’s not how we roll around here. We try out best to take care of absolutely everyone! ❤️

12. Jayz
    Jayz says:

Will you be supporting an in app purchase of subscriptions especially in both Android and iOS?

In some countries cellular providers allow you to bill your android in app purchases to your mobile bill which is then heavily subsidized making the purchase very cheap.

Having in app subscription purchase would definitely make me jump to it even though I have a full 1Password license.

Hey Jayz, 👋

Thanks for asking. We support in app subscriptions on iOS already so you’re good to go there. That’s tied to your Apple ID so I’m not sure that can be tied to your cellular provider or not. It would be cool if it could be though!

As for Android, this is something we’re looking into. It’s not possible at this time but we’re considering it for future releases.

Take care and thank you for your support! ❤️

13. zoran
    zoran says:

hi, i have paid the full license, and im a 1password user from the first day.
    I have updated the mac version, but i cant see the touch bar support. can you help me please?

Hi Zoran! 👋

Before we jump in to the deep end for troubleshooting things I need to ask: are you using a new MacBook Pro with the Touch Bar?

If so, could you please verify your 1Password version is indeed 6.6.1? You can read this article for details on how to verify your version information. Please click the Copy to Clipboard button and paste it here so I can see as well.

Please let me know and we’ll take it from there,

14. makerken
    makerken says:

Regarding subscriptions:

Benifits (short version): everyone always gets the latest version, one price unlocks everything, you don’t have to hold features for a major update making you are more competitive, a steady income so you can plan development. They are big, I get it.

Pay for ticket to Disneyland or buy every ride? Buy a car or lease? Subscribe to music or buy it? Purchase a book or rent it?

Buying a personal amusement park isn’t an option because of the capital required. But for a book if I can’t keep it for forever on my shelf, then I’ll get it for free from the library.

There isn’t a clear way of doing things for software. Software can not be expected to work long without updates, so a few updates are assumed in the price. But if everyone used to purchasing software at a fair price then freemum wouldn’t make billions, even though I have never bought a chest of gems or gold.

Life happens. I can always read a book I own, I can always drive a car I own. People that dislike any- any amount uncertainty in their lives (perhaps scientific or technically minded people) dislike subscriptions.

Idea: when renewing domains or hosting, or even magazines, you are given the option of how many years. Give me the option of a 5 year subscription, maybe even with a 10% discount 😉, and I’m sold. It reduces the uncertainty, for both of us.

Thanks for getting back to me, Ken!

You’re right, there are a lot of advantages to subscriptions for software developers. You highlighted a lot of them and they are very big, but for me biggest one of all is they simply make us happy. I have an upcoming post to share how memberships make for a Happy 1Password Maker that I think you’ll enjoy. I was going to finish it before posting my reply here but then I figured I was just procrastinating so I best finish it later. 🙂

As for managing uncertainty and it being less acceptable to scientific and technically minded folks, I dunno about that. How many non-scientific people go around talking about Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle? I figure that dude was pretty technical. 😃

Seriously though, I see where you are coming from and the idea of purchasing 5 years at a single time is a good one. In some ways we have this already as you’re able to purchase an entire year at once using our annual subscription. After paying for a year you could simply remove your credit card after so you’d remain in full control.

For me personally, I like automation so this sounds like a chore to me. But what ever floats your boat is fine by me. 😉

We might expand on this in the future as we could theoretically extend our annual plan from one year to multiple years. It’s something we’re considering and it works in our favour as well since it reduces the amount of payment processing fees we need to pay. Slightly at least.

Take care, Ken! Hopefully we can find a way to have you shout “sold!” soon. 🙂