Introducing 1Password 6.6 for Mac

I’m happy to announce we just finished assembling a new version of 1Password! It’s working its way through the update engines around the world now and hopefully it’s ready for you by the time you finish reading this. ?

The biggest change in this release is a whole new setup experience. We’ll dive into that in a moment, but first I’d like to share a cool new feature for those of you lucky enough to have one of those sexy new MacBook Pros.

We’ve been experimenting with the new Touch Bar since the beginning and added Touch Bar support along with Touch ID back in November as soon as the new Macs were available.

Today we’re taking the next step tap and giving you the ability to customize your Strong Password Generator settings directly from your Touch Bar!

I always enjoy the feel of tapping actions on the Touch Bar but sliding your finger across it is even better! Trust me, you’ll have a hard time customizing your password length just once. ?

There’s several other changes in this release as well, but let’s dive right into the big one now.

New Setup Flow

The biggest change is one that most of you probably won’t see until the next time you’re setting up a new Mac. Those new MacBook Pros with Touch ID really are pretty sweet so hopefully this isn’t too far in your future! ?

Starting today we have a lovely new flow for the setup screens1. Like their little cousin on iOS did earlier, 1Password for Mac makes getting started much simpler.

Now when you launch 1Password on a new Mac you’ll be greeted with a lovely page asking you if you’ve used 1Password before:

opm6-6-setup-screen

Those of you who have already been rocking with 1Password can use your existing data, and everyone else who’s just getting started can begin their free trial.

Free Trials From Mac App Store

We’ve always wanted everyone to be able to try 1Password before needing to purchase. Our website version has supported free trials since the very beginning, but it wasn’t possible in the Mac App Store when we first published 1Password there way back in 2011.

Thankfully Apple gave us a wonderful present at their Worldwide Developers Conference last year that made this possible for Mac App Store users as well.

1Password now comes with a 30 day free trial in the Mac App Store. Those downloading 1Password for the first time will start their trial and be prompted to subscribe once their trial expires:

opm-6-6-subscribe

Your single subscription allows you to use 1Password on all your devices and always have access to the latest versions.

Those who previously purchased 1Password in the Mac App Store will continue to be able to use 1Password as before and are not required to subscribe to our 1Password membership. Although there are a lot of great reasons why you should…

Benefits of a 1Password Membership

introducingI’ve been a license holder since the beginning. In fact, I’m pretty sure I got the first license we ever made!

If you’re a longtime license holder of 1Password like I was, I’m sure you’re wondering what all the hullabaloo is over our new service. I’m glad you asked and I’m happy to unlock that mystery for you! ?

There are a lot of benefits to a 1Password Membership over a standalone license, but for me it boils down to convenience, security, and peace of mind.

convenience-updatesLet’s start with convenience. With a membership, all I do is log in on a new device and all my data is there. I can even organize my items in multiple vaults and they all appear instantly.

And the best part is my membership gives me access to the latest version of 1Password on all my devices so I don’t need to worry about managing any licenses. I’m really happy that I don’t need to say “1Password is sold on a per-person, per-platform basis, with paid upgrades for major new versions” anymore. ?

double-securityOn the security side of things, I absolutely love our new encryption design that leverages Galois/Counter Mode for efficient authenticated encryption and our ingenious Two Secret Key Derivation starring our unique Account Key.

I know I know, I’m a huge geek and love the details, but these and many other things all add up to better performance and a secure-er than ever way to protect your data. You can check out our security page for a nice high level review, along with a detailed White Paper for my fellow geeks reading this. ?

As for peace of mind, this one is priceless. I simply sleep better at night.

sleep-at-night

With my 1Password membership, I know that all my data is backed up automatically for me, and every change is remembered so I can go back in time and restore my precious items whenever I need to. And with our Family account I can securely share passwords with Sara so she has access to everything she needs.

In short, I’m absolutely loving my 1Password membership. It’s the best way to use 1Password.

love-1password

Becoming a 1Password Member

If these benefits excite you and you want to join me, becoming a 1Password member is super easy.

You can jump on board and migrate all of your data over in just a few short steps. We have a quick guide on how to setup a new account and move over your data, along with a nice video showing how easy it is to do.

I know you’re busy so I’m happy to say you can finish the entire process in just a few minutes. Start by creating your new account here:

Start Your Free Trial Today

Often it feels like I’ve been using all these great new features for a lifetime, but looking back we introduced 1Password Teams only 15 months ago, 1Password Families almost exactly one year ago, and 1Password Memberships just 6 months ago.

It’s amazing how quickly I came to rely on these benefits and how I was able to fall in love with 1Password all over again. I think you will, too.

Enjoy! ❤️ ??

1. Those with eagle eyes might be saying “again?” since 1Password 6.5 had a new setup experience for those who downloaded from our website. But we’ve iterated on the design and now everyone gets to join in on the fun, including those who install using the Mac App Store.
    • pierrer0y
      pierrer0y says:

I was just going to mention your illustrations. I’ve fallen in love with the illustration style throughout your entire product lineup. The colours and mood of each illustration is absolutely beautiful and I really love them all. Benji’s great!!

Thank you so much for saying so, Pierre! ?

I’ve passed your kind words along to our entire design so your words can warm their hearts as much as they warmed mine. ❤️

1. Robert Girouard
    Robert Girouard says:

I long-time user, I have downloaded this version to my 2013 MB Pro running OS 10.12.3.

When I open 1Password’s preferences, I no longer see a Sync icon. What gives?

Also, when I try to install the Safari extension, I get: Safari can’t install this extension. An error occurred while installing the extension “1Password”.

OTOH, the newly downloaded version of 1Password is running just fine on my 2009 iMac running El Capitan.

Hi Robert, ?

I’m sorry I wasn’t able to reply to you sooner – my wrists are on fire with RSI from all the typing I’ve been doing this week so I’ve needed to rest them.

By the sounds of things you downloaded 1Password on to your 2013 MacBook Pro and started your free 30 day trial. Since 1Password members don’t need to sync their data themselves we don’t bother to show the Sync icon in the Preferences window.

What you’ll want to do is select Dropbox or iCloud (whichever one you’re reading) during setup and take it from there. You’ll also need to add your license if you purchased from our website.

As for Safari, try installing the 1Password extension directly from the Safari Extension Gallery and see if that makes a difference. If not, try rebooting. Sadly I’m not making that last part up. If things persist, please let me know and we’ll take it from there.

I hope that helps. Take care,

• Robert Girouard
      Robert Girouard says:

With regard to your answer to my post to the blog, be advised that I am dealing directly with Pilar who is helping me resolve the problems that I am having with 1P.

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know, Robert.

It’s great to hear Pilar is helping you. You’re in good hands! ?

2. Mk_Dan
    Mk_Dan says:

I don’t like this move, because I am absolutely not interested in a subscription. I bought the 1Password app on Mac App Store previously and I can only hope that you stick to your word and let me use it without subscribing. If not you will loose me as a customer. Maybe it is best to already look for an alternative…

Hello! ?

Your purchase from the Mac App Store gives you access to all the standalone features of 1Password 6 without becoming a 1Password member. You’ll also receive all version 6 updates for free. We simply look at your receipt to see that you’ve purchased and if you have you’re all set.

I hope that helps. Take care,

Hi Nate! ?

Your purchase from the Mac App Store gives you access to all the standalone features of 1Password 6 and you’ll receive all version 6 updates for free. Since you purchased we’re able to inspect your receipt and ensure 1Password doesn’t go into readonly mode.

I hope that helps clear things up. Please let me know if you have any further questions. ?

3. George
    George says:

Does this mean that those of us who have purchased the iOS ($14.99) and MacOS ($65) versions will now have to begin paying a subscription if we update?

Hi George, ?

Thanks for asking!

Your license is as good today as it was last week. Nothing has changed for you as your license entitles you to to continue using 1Password 6 for as long as you want. If you’d like to keep rocking your license as you have been, more power to you. ?

If you’d like to access the features of our new 1Password memberships you will need to create an account and then subscribe after your 30 day free trial.

I hope that helps. Take care,

4. Stuart
    Stuart says:

Great illustrations I agree but what’s happening for us Windows users?

What’s the roadmap / estimated release time of the next ‘big’ version – Q2, Q3, Q4?

There’s a horribly annoying bug in 1Password 6 – you start typing in the name of the account in the 1Password search bar (e.g. Gmail) and just as you go to click on the listed entry the focus disappears meaning you have to search again. It only happens intermittently.

It’d also be good if you could allow users to deauthorize Windows computers from the 1Password 6 Windows desktop version. You can deauthorize browsers but not computers and it leaves it untidy meaning I have to scroll through the various computers.

Hi Stuart,

That’s a great question! Well, I guess I should say questions. ?

The bug you’re encountering during search should be addressed already in the 6.3 beta. We’re getting close to rolling this out to the official release channel so with any luck you shouldn’t need to put up with this for much longer. Please make sure you’ve updated to the latest version of 1Password so you’re ready when this release comes out.

As for deauthorizing Windows devices: second verse, same as the first! ? ?

You should be all set on both accounts once we publish 6.3. I’d tell you when the planned roll out date is but I don’t want to spoil the surprise! ? It’s coming up soon though so no worries about needing to wait too too long. ?

5. aforty
    aforty says:

You make reference to the security white paper but many sections are still denoted with a “Incomplete Content” banner and the last update was in 2015. Most of it goes over my head anyway but I find these interesting to read. Any plans to complete and update it with up-to-date information?

Hello, @aforty!

It’s awesome to hear you were reading the White Paper! We love discussing these details and are always excited when someone takes the time to read it. ?

You’re right, the White Paper we currently have published has a few sections in it that we knew we wanted to be in there but didn’t have the time to complete. We felt it better to include the “Incomplete Content” so our intentions would be clear rather than leave it out and have people asking us to add these sections.

Either path led to questions so our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts took the simplest path and simply left these placeholders within the first version.

Jeff has a second iteration of the White Paper where a lot of these sections have been completed. This new version is almost ready and he will be publishing it relatively soon.

Hi Šimon, ?

This is an interesting question. I don’t think I can say anything about the future with 100% certainty. For one thing I might be abducted by aliens tomorrow and not be around to make sure my promises are carried out. ?

In all seriousness, I’m really not being cheeky here. Life happens and often takes us in unexpected directions.

This reminds me of a promise I made almost a decade ago now where I said 1Password would add WebDAV sync so we could sync with MobileMe. I made this promise after we had a working prototype of 1Password syncing internally with WebDAV so I felt this was an easy enough promise to keep.

Then life happened. Jack was born and I simply didn’t have time to finish the rest of the WebDAV project (the last 20% tends to require 80% of the work) while juggling two kids under 3 and taking care of the day-to-day operations of a multinational company with millions of users.

Long story short, after a year or so I had to eat my hat and admit defeat as we just didn’t have time to complete development of that feature. In the end it turned out pretty well as soon afterwards Steve Jobs stood up on stage and declared MobileMe was dead and the world moved on. Still, I learned an important lesson that day and have never forgotten.

So no, I will not promise that 1Password 7 or 8 will allow licenses to be used instead of memberships. These releases are too far in the future to make any promises about.

Now that I rambled on about what I can’t say, let’s talk about what I can say. ? Let’s take a look at some history as that’s not going change so it’s easy to talk authoritatively about it.

Fist of all we always try our best to help customers when they need help regardless of what version of 1Password they are using or how they purchased it. To this day we still get questions about 1Password 3 and we answer them and take care of our users. Sure we nudge them that it’s time to upgrade, but some customers are rocking older versions of macOS Mac OS X and simply cannot update.

We’ll do the same with licenses. No matter which way the cookie crumbles we’re going to support users and help them through their questions.

The other bit of history we can look at is how we’ve rolled 1Password memberships out to the world. It would have been much easier to simply kill licenses outright and make memberships as the only way to use 1Password. It would have saved countless hours of development and design, not to mention documentation and greatly simplified support.

You can see a lot of this complexity at play in this release as well. Underneath the More Options button on the setup screen screenshot I included in this post you will find the ability to create a standalone local vault. A lot of effort went into keeping this ability within the app alongside memberships, and in fact this was why I announced this at the end of February instead of the beginning of January. I know this for certain as not only did we need to code this but we then ended up spending weeks in App Review because we have a unique model that no other app has.

We wouldn’t be here without people like you so we are doing our best to not rock the boat too much and instead entice you to create your 1Password membership. As my mom always told me, you get more people at the dinner table when dessert is ready. ? As such we’ll continue rolling forward with 1Password memberships and keep licenses around for as long as we can.

I know that doesn’t answer your question exactly but I hope it gets close enough to give you some comfort.

Take care and thank you for your support! We really wouldn’t be here without you. ❤️

Hi Daniel,

I’m very sorry to disappoint you. That’s the exact opposite reaction I was going for! ?

So first things first, your license is as good today as it was last week. Nothing has changed for you as your license entitles you to to continue using 1Password 6 for as long as you want. If you’d like to keep rocking your license as you have been, more power to you. ?

Now if you’re excited about the new features of our 1Password memberships and would like to take advantage of them it’s time for us to take the next step in this dance of ours. ? ?

And this is where things get even more interesting. We indeed do not have any discounts available for your license directly. I would absolutely love to have a way for all users to trade in their licenses for a credit on a new 1Password membership. This credit would vary depending on how long you’ve had the license and it would be a great thing to have. I’ve talked to the team a lot about this and tried to find a way to roll it out but it’s a lot more involved than you might expect. For example the Mac App Store has some strict rules about this and there’s been some famous examples of Apple stepping up when developers cross the fine (and often hard to see) line. Here’s one of the more famous examples that happened to Omni:

Omni Group Forced To Stop Offer Mac App Store Customers Paid Upgrades

I think given enough time and resources we could find a way but we’re all here for only a finite amount of time on this earth so I’d rather be spending our time on creating new updates that all our users can benefit from.

So long story short I don’t have a way for you to trade in your license per se, but I do have a trick up my sleeve that I hope you’ll like. If you create your 1Password membership using this link you will get an additional 5 months on your 30 day trial. That gives you your first 6 months free.

I hope that helps cheer you up, Daniel. I’m sorry again for upsetting you but with any luck I’ve managed to turn that frown upside down. ?