header (1)

A year in the life of the Best Password Manager for Android

Hello again friends! 👋

When I last wrote about 1Password for Android, we had just released version 6.4 with support for Android 7.0 and all of its Nougat-y goodness. We’ve been hard at work since then, but before I tell you about some of the great changes we’ve introduced in version 6.5, I want to take a moment to celebrate.

android-central-1I’m incredibly proud to say that we’ve been awarded “Best Password Manager” by Android Central! While we naturally think that 1Password is the best, it’s always fantastic to have a great site like Android Central back us up with their recommendation. And the timing couldn’t have been better as we were also celebrating a birthday last month… 1Password 6 for Android just turned one!

So come with us on a journey as we celebrate 1Password 6 for Android’s birthday, and look back on a year of Googly wonder!

Birthday beginnings 🎂

Let’s start with the release of 1Password 6. This was a huge release that restyled our pixels with Material Design, made unlocking your vaults quick and easy with Fingerprint Unlock, and introduced support for 1Password memberships.

In the months that followed, we released 4 major updates to 1Password 6. These updates made search available from first launch, added All Vaults to allow you to view all of your items at once, and made it easier to type passwords into other devices with Large Type. We also made 1Password more convenient to use alongside other apps by adding support for Nougat’s split-screen mode.

All of these changes were focused on making it more convenient for you to stay secure with 1Password. Features like Fingerprint Unlock and Universal Search are all about getting you to the data you need quickly. 1Password memberships make your data available whenever and wherever you need it with instant sync and web-based access through 1Password.com.features

Speaking of 1Password memberships, I want to take a moment to celebrate another birthday. Not only did we release 1Password 6 for Android last February, but we also launched 1Password Families.

Enjoying Families with family 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦

As you might imagine, I’m the resident password guru and all-around IT guy for my family. While I would never complain that it’s a burdensome job, anything that makes it easier to manage devices and accounts for Juliana and the kids is a big win for me. So when we launched 1Password Families a year ago, it was a no-brainer for me to switch us over. In the time since, my role in family tech support has gotten so much easier…

convenience-updatesSetting up 1Password on all our devices. Our house is littered with devices spanning the Android, iOS, and Mac platforms. Setting up each one is now as simple as installing 1Password, scanning an Account Code, and entering the Master Password.

Making passwords easy! No one in my family needs to think too hard about creating strong unique passwords. Instead, we simply use the strong password generator in 1Password to create a new password for each new account we create. No re-using passwords and no arcane rules or formulas to follow.

securely-shareStoring more than passwords. We also use 1Password to store everything from credit cards to passports to locker combinations. Anything that should be kept secret, yet be available whenever and wherever we need it, goes in 1Password.

Sharing with the right people. There are some items that I only want to share with Juliana and other items that I want the kids to have access to as well. 1Password makes it easy for me to organize our items into multiple vaults and share those vaults appropriately.

Recovery Time Machine

Restoring previous versions of items. I no longer need to worry that an item will be accidentally changed or deleted. If that ever did happen, the new Item History feature will help me get it back. All I need to do is log in on 1Password.com and restore the version of the item back the way it was.

As you can see, 1Password Families adds up to a lot of peace of mind for everyone and makes my IT role in my family much easier! And now that I’ve gone on about how our 1Password membership has made managing my digital life easier, I’m eager to help you do the same.

The best gets better! 🎉

In version 6.5, we’ve made it easier than ever to get started with 1Password and get straight to what matters – keeping your personal information safe and secure.

If you’re a current 1Password customer but haven’t started your 1Password membership yet, you really should check it out. We’ve made it super easy to move your items over, so you can experience the best way to use 1Password.

You can sign up for a new individual account in Settings > 1Password accounts and then migrate your existing data in with the new ability to copy items.

And if you’ve never used 1Password before, you can sign up for a new individual 1Password membership and start your free 30-day trial right from first launch. Start with something for yourself and then when you’re ready, invite family members or team members to join you.

Wowzas! what a year! 🕑

We’ve got even more new features and improvements planned for the year ahead, and I look forward to sharing more about these with you soon. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the best version of the Best Password Manager for Android yet!

out-of-the-storm

P.S. Here’s Paddy chilling on the beach after winning the Best Password Manager for Android. Our developers weren’t invited as she has us working on the next update already. She’s a tough project manager, but the results speak for themselves 🙂

1. Dave Teare

A great year indeed! 🎉

Looking forward to what’s in store for 2017. I got a sneak peak and I’m super excited. You very well might get me to switch back to my Pixel again soon. 😉

2. Simon
    Simon says:

Hi, I’m not sure who to report this to so I’m dropping you a note on this blog.

In the Windows version of your application when you click the blue “Check for updates” button it says “App is up to date” [sic]. I don’t use your other apps so I couldn’t comment on whether or not this is replicated elsewhere.

It’s only a minor emendment but it should say “App is up-to-date” (note the hyphens).

Thanks, Simon! I’m glad to hear this grammatical issue is the biggest problem you’ve encountered! 😃

I often had this question myself, and after looking it up, I see you are in agreement with the Oxford English Dictionary:

With compound adjectives formed from the adverb well and a
      participle (e.g., well-known), or from a phrase (e.g., up-to-date),
      you should use a hyphen (or hyphens) when the compound comes before
      the noun:

well-known brands of coffee;
      an up-to-date account,

but not when the compound comes after the noun:

His music was also well known in England.
      Their figures are up to date.

I tried Mac as well and it looks like our Mac team avoided the need for hyphenation by rearranging the pronoun:

Looks like we need to pick one and roll with it on every platform. 🙂

• Jeffrey Goldberg
      Jeffrey Goldberg says:

I think that the essential distinction is whether the adjectival expression is used attributively or predicatively. Because most adjectives can be used both ways, we are not very cognizant of the distinction.

(1) He is a large bandit.
      (2) The bandit is large.

The adjective “large” is largely doing the same thing in each case. But now lets consider an adjective that can only be used attributively, but not predicatively.

(3) He is a mere bandit.
      (4) *The bandit is mere.

I’m marking strings of words that aren’t really English with a “*”.

Now let’s look at an adjective that can only be used predicatively and just sounds weird when used attributively.

(5) *He is an afraid bandit.
      (6) The bandit is afraid.

In some languages predicative and attributive uses get marked differently. In German, for example, attributive adjectives agree in gender and number with noun, but predicative adjectives do not.

It seems that in English, we only formally mark this in spelling; so

(7) ?He is an at-large bandit.
      (8) The bandit is at large.

(Yes (7) does sound a bit off. I didn’t realize that “at-large” doesn’t like to be attributive until I got to (7). Oh well. I should have worked through my examples better.)

Cheers,

-j (ex-linguist)

• oishiiburger
      oishiiburger says:

From a sociolinguistic perspective, I’ve been corrected by American English speakers for using hyphens in both pre- and post-nominal positions for compound (phrasal adjectives). The Oxford English dictionary reflects what I believe to be a largely-British usage of hyphenating a compound AP in pre-nominal position but not post-nominally.

Of course, even with this usage, you get (1) “up-to-date app” but (2) “app up to date”.

There is some awkwardness given functional considerations for (1), namely that complex APs tend to be post-posed relative to the noun with some frequency as a function of their length. But with respect to “app up-to-date” being orthographically-incorrect, I would suggest that there is enough variation in the usage between British and American Englishes to warrant the notion that both are correct (whatever “correct” actually means sans-prescriptivism).

Chris (computational linguist)

• Jeffrey Goldberg
      Jeffrey Goldberg says:

I completely concur with you, Chris, that from a sociolinguistic perspective, we should feel free to use either spelling convention.

I also fear that we may have lost anyone trying to follow this discussion, but I will try to help things out along the way.

Let’s go back to heavy Adjectival Phrases (APs). We can plausibly imagine three spelling conventions:

(1) No hyphens pre- or post- nominally. (E.g., “up to date app” and “app is up to date”)
      (2) Hyphens both pre- and post- nominally. (“up-to-date app” and “app is “up-to-date:)
      (3) Hyphens only pre-nominally. (“up-to-date app” and “app is up to date”)

But I think you would agree that it would seem bizarre for the convention to have (4)

(4) Hyphens only post-nominally (“up to date app” and “app is up-to-date”)

So if you agree with me on that intuition, the question is why? Why would a convention of (4) be more unlikely than any of (1)-(3)?

I noticed that you took this is post- versus pre-nominally. That is you looked at this as whether the adjectival phrase (AP) is after the noun or before it. I initially looked at it in terms of attributive versus predicative APs. I think that you are probably right, but I can’t think of nice tests off of the top of my head now. (It has been a long day.)

My latest guess is that what we are seeing is just the result of sentence prosady. For the sake of discussion (and comprehensibility for anyone else reading this) let me get away with a using the term “rhythm rule” for whatever it is in English prosady that accounts for the different on words like “compact” and “thirteen” in

(5) It’s a COMpact disc.
      (6) The disc is comPACT.

(7) She counted to thirTEEN.
      (8) THIRteen men were in the room.

When we pile stuff up before the head noun of a noun phrase, we seem to want to use prosady to draw attention to the head noun. So the spelling (under convention 3) of

(9) The well-to-do women sat by the window.
      (10) The women by the window is well to do.

reflects trying to get “well-to-do” in (9) in one breath, while there is no pressure to do so in (10).

Basically, I think that the quoted convention from the OED is reflecting something meaningful (and perhaps interesting) about real English grammar.

But my distinction between attributive versus predicative adjectives may have been a red herring.