Hey-oh Android O! 👋

Earlier this week, Google announced the availability of the Android O Developer Preview. We’ve been anticipating this for a while and its arrival certainly didn’t disappoint. The developer documentation shows lots of enhancements to existing features and a few key new ones as well. And of course, one in particular that has our entire Android team buzzing with excitement…

My producers want me to dangle that one in front of you for the next 45 minutes while I talk about the other features in Android O that don’t have much impact on 1Password. They want me to talk about the new Picture-in-Picture mode that will allow you to pretend to work while binge-watching Netflix on any Android device. Then I’ll hint that the big reveal will come after the commercial break…

Once back, I’ll launch into an explanation of how notification channels will allow you to selectively mute certain groups of notifications while leaving others untouched. From there, I’ll segue into a discussion of the neat animated effects and customizations that adaptive icons will make possible. And that will bring us to the next commercial break and more promises of things to come…

And while I’m at it, I should probably mention multi-display support, autosizing text views, integration with Google’s safe-browsing API, in-app pinning of shortcuts and widgets, improved animations and more. Seriously, there’s a lot of great stuff in this OS release. But that’s not why you’ve tuned in. That’s not what you want to read about. You want to know why we’ve got our O-faces on…

So let’s jump right into it. The best part of Android O is the Autofill Framework!

Autofill, O my!

So what do you do when you get a new present? If you’re a geek like me and that present is the Android O Developer Preview, you definitely unwrap it and play with it! In this case, “unwrapping” took a few minutes and a couple of downloads, but in short order I was ready to start my new life as an Android O developer ? Within a few hours, I was able to put together a basic demo of what automatic filling with 1Password might look like.

Android Autofill Demo from AgileBits on Vimeo.

As you can see in the video, after navigating to the login page in the Twitter app, the Autofill Framework notified 1Password that there were some fields that could be filled. 1Password then responded by letting the Autofill Framework know it recognized those fields as a login form, but that it needed to be unlocked first. I was then prompted to unlock 1Password if I wanted to continue.

After I unlocked 1Password with my fingerprint, my example Twitter credentials were displayed in a dropdown provided by the Autofill Framework and automatically filled when I tapped on them.

Like all great technology, it feels like magic, and I’m in love with Android O already!

I can’t wait to share more with you as we continue to develop this into the automatic filling experience that we’ve all always wanted. In the meantime, feel free to share your curiosity, excitement, and favourite Android O features with us in the comments below.

Hello again Timo! ? It’s been a while. ?

Thanks for letting us know about the video issues. It should be fine now. Please give it another go. I guarantee you won’t be able to watch the video just once! ?

Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• TimoViBritannia
      TimoViBritannia says:

Thank you Dave ?,
      I actually went into the source code of the page grabbed the video URL and watched it this way. To be honest I think I watched it 15 times or so. I think this kind of integration is just amazing. But sadly I won’t be able to test it. I just sold my nexus 6P and bought a new iPhone 7 Plus.

I wish you a wonderful weekend too!
      Timo

Ah! Smart. I should have known ?

Congratulations on the new phone! I have mixed emotions saying that as I’ll miss having you around on Android – you were one of our staunchest supporters there. Still, I can’t blame you for making the switch as the iPhone 7 Plus is a wonderful device. I’m currently rocking one myself.

I’ll likely be switching back to my Pixel once this autofill feature hits the 1Password beta channel but it’s going to be tough to keep me there. Michael and his Android team are trying their best to do exactly that though! ?

Take care and enjoy your new phone! ❤️

• TimoViBritannia
      TimoViBritannia says:

Thank you for your kind words. I always loved the Nexus devices and think that the Pixel is a great phone too. I will still be watching the 1PW Android development ;) I just can’t wait to see how the new API is going to be implemented into the app. But now that I have an iPhone I will probably be more active in the iOS worlds of the forum. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts about Android O once you fully tested it ;) But maybe we should talk about all that on twitter :D I don’t want to „spam“ the comments with a kind of private conversation like this.

Have a great evening,
      Timo

• peri
      peri says:

I’ll miss you in the Android forum, but I think we might win you back eventually when we get the new filling implementation. :P Feel free to reach out on Twitter any time. You have a great evening too!

1. Tom
    Tom says:

Really hoping this makes it into the beta releases soon. I’m currently rocking O as my daily driver so I’m ready. I’ve been waiting for something since they announced OpenYOLO last year.

Hey Tom! ?

It’s great to hear from you again. I’m excited that you’re excited! ?

You’re absolutely right about the beta releases: we’re definitely going to be adding support for autofill there first. For everyone else reading along at home, be sure to join our Android beta family if you’d like to be among the first to play with this new toy.

I don’t have a timeframe to share with you but I can say that I’ll be poking Michael frequently until I’m able to autofill on my Pixel. I want this as much as anyone. ?

Take care, Tom. ❤️

• Michael Verde
      Michael Verde says:

Hey Tom,

I’ll consider that my first poke from Dave and take this as an opportunity to clarify the timeline for betas a little bit. I say “a little bit” because although I can’t say when it will be available, I can say that it likely won’t be before mid-July.

Google has given us an initial timeline for the Android O Developer Previews. In that timeline, they’ve indicated that developers can submit builds that target the features in Android O to Google Play starting with Developer Preview 4, which is tentatively scheduled for release sometime around mid-July. While it’s going to be tough to wait that long to share the magic with you, I’m sure that first taste of Autofill is going to be all the richer for the waiting ;)

Until then, I hope you continue to enjoy rocking Android O!

Cheers,
      Michael

Hi Mord! ?

Forever is a very very long time. Surely it took us a little less than that, no? ?

As I was just telling @pandanomic earlier, I know all too well the feeling of how long something takes when you desperately want it – I think that’s how the “a watched kettle never boils” saying got born! Anyway, I’m going to save my wrists and their RSI from typing it all again and will quote my response here for completeness:

I can totally see where you’re coming from. Fingerprint unlock was such an awesome feature that every day waiting felt like an eternity. I totally get that. ?

If we put feelings aside for a second and just look at the cold hard facts, we’ll see that it was 256 days from our sneak peek on May 28, 2015 to the 1Password 6 for Android release on Feb 8, 2016. Certainly not faster than light travel but well under the 10 years that it felt like. ?

I think we’d all have been happy if that was quicker but we all need to keep in mind that fingerprint unlock was part of the huge 1Password 6 update that included a whole new material design as well as support for 1Password Teams so there were a lot of dependencies to work through. And of course it was available within our beta channel much earlier as well.

If you’re as impatient as I am when it comes to new toys, be sure to join our 1Password for Android beta family where you can get early access to all our latest and greatest gizmos. Autofill will be making its appearance there first so be sure to sign up if you’d like to play.

Anyway, I’m as excited as you are to play with Autofill on my Pixel so I’ll be sure to poke Michael and the rest of his Android team to ensure we both can play sooner than later. ?

Hah! Good one. ?

I totally see where you’re coming from. Fingerprint unlock was such an awesome feature that every day waiting felt like an eternity. I totally get that. ?

2. Gaurav Agarwal
    Gaurav Agarwal says:

Awesome!!! Can’t wait to give it a try. If I flash Android O Preview 1, will existing 1Password App in Play Store works as shown in video?

Hi Gaurav, ?

I’m glad you’re as excited about this as much as we are. ?

The demo video was taken directly from Michael’s development machine and doesn’t exist anywhere else. At least not yet anyway! ?

We’ll be sharing this awesome new feature with our beta family first so if you’d like to be one of the first to play with Autofill, please join our Android beta.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend! The rain has finally stopped here and the sun is just about to appear so it’s about time I take my Pixel for a walk.

Ah! Good catch! You’re totally right.

Itso’s are one of the hardest typos to catch during final editing as it’s so easy for your brain to tell you what it thinks it sees rather that what is actually written.

Anyway, it’s all fixed up now. Thank you for pointing this out ?

• Michael Verde
      Michael Verde says:

Thanks for pointing that out! I must have looked over this a dozen times and still not seen the typo. It’s not that I don’t understand its importance though ;)

• Michael Verde
      Michael Verde says:

Hi Todd,

I’m glad you enjoyed the demo! I’m looking forward to sharing more as we continue to integrate Autofill into 1Password.

Cheers,
      Michael

Hi Tom! ?

Thanks for letting us know and sharing the error details. We just switched the video to use Vimeo so we could avoid this issue. Please give it another try now and let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

• Michael Verde
      Michael Verde says:

Hi Nicholas,

I’m really looking forward to the day when copying/pasting is a thing of the past (at least for sensitive data). Although I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet, using Autofill with 1Password to fill into web pages in Chrome would certainly be a great blend of security and convenience. I’m looking forward to learning more about all the things that we can do with Autofill as we continue to dig into the new Framework.

Cheers,
      Michael

• Michael Verde
      Michael Verde says:

Hi Mike,

I’m glad that this early look has got you excited for some of the really cool things that we’re going to be able to do with Android O. I’m looking forward to sharing more with you, so stay tuned for updates as we continue to work on this.

Cheers,
      Michael

• Michael Verde
      Michael Verde says:

Hey Steffi,

The producers are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the format of the show. I’m also glad that you enjoyed it too! Tune in for more breaking news about 1Password and Android O as the Developer Preview unfolds ;)

Cheers,
      Michael

3. Maged Samuel
    Maged Samuel says:

I’m excited about Android O but with the slow updates of most brands, We’ll have to wait for a very long time till we get it!, & in my case, I’ll have to get a new phone since I’m running LG G2 and I already missed Android M and N!!
    I wish that the mechanism of updates is controlled by Google itself for ALL Android phones, not only the ones made by google!

• peri
      peri says:

Hey Maged! I’m glad to hear you’re excited–we’re pretty excited about this too! Indeed, it is a bit of a drawback that all Android devices don’t receive updates at the same time. That said, we still have our accessibility service and keyboard for filling, and we also hope to revisit filling and come up with a solution for users who can’t update to O.

4. Trey
    Trey says:

Can the Autofill Framework let you save logins and their app associations in 1Password, or is it pull (getting the info from 1Password) only? Also, can you use the password generator for new sign-ins not already in 1Password?

• Michael Verde
      Michael Verde says:

Hey Trey,

I’m happy to say that the Autofill Framework also includes a mechanism for saving new logins as well. I haven’t yet explored how we might be able to work the Strong Password Generator into that flow, but it’s something we’re definitely going to be looking into as we continue to integrate with Autofill in Android O. Thanks for the great questions!

Cheers,
      Michael

5. Lorenzo
    Lorenzo says:

Wow, this looks amazing. I am currently an iOS user but Android seems to be doing some good steps ahead and I might switch someday. Keep up the good work guys!

• Michael Verde
      Michael Verde says:

Hey Lorenzo,

Thanks for the encouragement! Whether it’s iOS or Android, we’re happy to have you as a customer either way. Of course, given that I work on the Android side of things, I’ll be ever-so-slightly happier if you make the switch 😉

Cheers,
      Michael

6. Lily
    Lily says:

7. Ravi Gupta
    Ravi Gupta says:

Android O Developer Preview is really exciting. But the video is not playing and I can’t see that. Please provide me with another link of the video. I have explored it completely. It’s good to see you excited about something.

• peri
      peri says:

Hi Ravi! The video is playing just fine for me. Can you let me know where you’re viewing it? Is this on a desktop or mobile, and in what browser?

The video is also available here in Vimeo, which should play fine as well. Let me know if that helps!

• peri
      peri says:

I’m glad to hear that, Himashu! We’re super excited about Android O, and we hope to have more news on this soon. Thanks!