Get to know 1Password Teams: Vaults and sharing

What would 1Password be without vaults? They’re where you put your most important information to keep it safe, and they’ve been a core part of the 1Password experience since the beginning. In 1Password Teams, vaults are more useful than ever. Let’s look at how vaults can help you organize and share information within your team.

Vaults: just the basics

The first time you sign in to 1Password Teams, you’ll see two vaults automatically available for you:

• Private. This vault (sometimes known as the Personal vault) is only accessible to you. Each team member has their own. Use it to store logins for your own work accounts.
  • Shared. This vault is accessible to everyone in your team. You might want to keep things like company-wide software licenses in there, or anything that everyone will benefit from.

This setup is great for teams that are starting out, but there’s a good chance you’ll quickly find yourself wanting more. Some passwords need to be shared with some people, but not everyone. You might want to set up different vaults for each of your departments, office locations or more.

Vaults in action

There’s no one correct way to structure your vaults, but here’s how we do it at AgileBits. Because our staff are distributed across the globe, some of our vaults are set up with geographical locations in mind. We also a number of vaults that are set aside for specific groups of people.

The Android development team has their own passwords and doesn’t need to have access to the iOS passwords, and vice versa. Vaults help us create this kind of separation and stay organized and secure.

Sometimes people from different parts of the company need access to the same vault. Khad works in our marketing team, and often needs our Twitter credentials to let the world know about our new blog posts. Max from our customer support team also needs access to Twitter to answer customer questions about 1Password.

To keep things simple we created a vault called Social Media. In it we store credentials for things like Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. Even though they don’t work together, Max and Khad now have access to the social media passwords they need.

Whether you use your company departments to structure your vaults, or create vaults that can be accessed by multiple teams, 1Password offers the flexibility and customisation you need.

Getting the most out of vaults

When creating new vaults, remember these tips:

• Create vaults that suit your usage, not necessarily your company structure. It might be easy to think that your vault structure needs to resemble your company, with departments and management teams, but think about who actually needs access. It might be that people from IT, marketing and sales need access to your Facebook and Twitter passwords at the same time. If this is the case, you might want to create a social media vault and add in everyone who needs access.

• Not everything needs its own vault. If you are a company that works for multiple clients, or on multiple projects (such as a marketing agency), it’s easy to think that every client needs their own vault.
      You might find it simpler to create a Clients vault, add items for all your customer passwords, and then use tags and custom titles for each item.

• Use tags to easily find items. If you have lots of passwords in a single vault, tags can be a great way to easily find only the ones you need. You might have a vault called Clients and in it have passwords for 100+ accounts. How can you see which account belongs to which client? Tags to the rescue! Simply assign each item in the vault a tag, and it will appear in the left-hand panel, making navigation easy!

To get started creating and working with vaults, see this guide.

And if you don’t have 1Password Teams, sign up for a 30-day free trial. If you’d like to see how 1Password will work for your business, chat with our Sales team at sales@agilebits.com.

1. Mr. B
    Mr. B says:

Earlier I was so much cluttered of passwords of here and there. And I’ve recently started using 1Password. It’s so hassle free way of keeping password secured. Best tool I’ve used ever.

• Benji Debnam
      Benji Debnam says:

Thank you so much for your kind words, I remember that feeling well! Getting rid of all of that clutter and having everything in one place safely locked up with 1Password.

2. chris
    chris says:

really great to seee how vaults can help you organize and share information within your team. I’ve recently started using 1Password. and i am sure it is one of the best tool to secured password. just loved it.

• brenty
      brenty says:

Thanks for letting us know, chris! Glad to hear you’re enjoying using 1Password as much as we love using and working on it ourselves. Have an awesome weekend! :)

3. Jerry Patel
    Jerry Patel says:

Earlier I was so much cluttered of passwords of here and there. And I’ve recently started using 1Password. It’s so hassled free way of keeping password secured. Best tool I’ve used ever. Someone recommend me to use a competitior but I feel 1Password is far better.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Thanks for the love, Jerry!❤️ 🙂 Ensuring you have strong, unique passwords when you have to also make sure you remember those passwords is a tall order. I’m delighted 1Password makes that so much easier for you. Security should be for everyone. It’s awesome to be a part of a team working to make that a reality and even more awesome to hear from customers who are using 1Password to take control of their security. Our primary goal in building 1Password is to make staying safe online as easy and hassle-free as possible and it’s always wonderful to hear we’re doing a good job.🙂

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

I’m glad to hear 1Password has been such a help, John! Our ultimate goal is and has always been to help as many people as possible keep their sensitive data safe as easily as possible, so it’s always wonderful to hear we’re succeeding in that mission.🙂 Thanks for love and I hope 1Password continues to serve you and your team well for a long time to come.❤️

• Will Moore
      Will Moore says:

Hi Sumit!

Great question – I’d love to answer it! I have been a 1Password customer for 9+ years and so I write not only as a team member at AgileBits, but a loyal user who chose 1Password over the competition long before I worked here.

If I start with this fact and elaborate from there;- all password managers do a few basic things: save passwords, automatically fill them, and make them available on all your devices. But not all password managers are created equal. 1Password is different in a few very important ways. I’ll start off addressing the general and then get more specific around vaults as that is what this article speaks about.

First off, we have some of the best support around for any software, and when you are relying on a service for something as important as password management, you want to know there is someone who can answer any questions that you have. Because we have a team spread across the world, it means that there is someone online pretty much 24 hours a day. And we all get involved in support. It’s a fairly common occurrence for one of the founders of the company to answer a support ticket or social media question as you will see from the comments on this blog.

Secondly, the security of a 1Password account is second to none. I can’t claim to be a security expert (we have some very clever bods that look after that), so I can’t give you a fully technical answer, but what I can say is that I trust 1Password with every element of my digital life. The combination of my Master Password and Secret Key which encrypt my data at all times (unless I’m using 1Password) means that my data has never been safer. If you would like to read more about our security, you can find a number of blog posts that speak about it. This one is my favourite as it involves castles and knights and who doesn’t love them.

Thirdly, 1Password is just a joy to use. We have apps for nearly every device around and those apps have won awards for their fantastic design. It’s one thing to keep your data safe, but you also need to be able to use it too. 1Password puts all your passwords, credit cards, addresses and more right in front of you when you need them, but locked away safe when you don’t.

When it comes to vaults and why they are better than other options – with 1Password Teams you put your data into these repositories we call vaults. By doing so you can easily give people access to only the passwords they need, and no access to those they don’t. If you use our Pro plan, you can set 12 specific permissions to keep total control over your company’s data and who has access to it.

I’d love to answer any other questions you have about 1Password. You can either comment here, or do email sales@1Password.com and add my name (Will Moore) to the message and it will get to me.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment :)

Will

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Mitch! First, I have to apologize for taking so long to reply. We’ve had a few big releases recently, each with their own blog post, and I’m afraid your comment ended up buried below the influx of others, and, well, only as we worked through them did I realize yours had been here all along. Sorry!

You can find instructions to move items between vaults here. You can also copy them, if you’d prefer. I’ll often go the copy route with important items out of an over-abundance of caution. I hope this helps and if you have additional questions, our support site is an amazing resource, as is our support team – we’re happy to help any time. ☺️

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Karen! It’s absolutely safe to store your data (passwords and otherwise) in 1Password. On the most basic level, 1Password is an encrypted safe that keeps your secrets locked up tight and leaves you with the only keys. Even if someone else had your 1Password data, it would be completely useless to them without your Master Password and Secret Key to unlock it and only you know these.

What’s more, 1Password helps make your passwords stronger, which makes the accounts they protect safer. Since you no longer have to remember your passwords (1Password does that for you), you can use the Secure Password Generator to generate super-random, ridiculously long, crazy passwords for all of your accounts that are never reused anywhere. This makes it much harder to anyone to gain access to your accounts and even if someone does gain access to one account, they can’t use that password to gain access to another.

Security is our business around here, so I could talk about it for a good long while, but you can find a quick overview of our security design and how 1Password protects your data here. If you’re interested in the technical details, you can check out our Security Design White Paper (PDF). And, of course, if you have any questions about specifics, we’re always happy to chat. 🙂

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

You can find instructions to move items between vaults here. You can also copy them, if you’d prefer. As I mentioned in a prior reply, I’ll often go the copy route with important items out of an over-abundance of caution, and clean up the item in the origin vault once I kow everything copied over properly. I hope this helps and if you have additional questions, our support site is an amazing resource, as is our support team. 24/7 personal customer support is just one of the many benefits of a 1Password membership and we’re happy to help any time. 🙂

4. James Pal
    James Pal says:

Don’t you think Laspass is better for using as password vault? I personally use it from last 1 year, and it has been managing my passwords well.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Having not used LastPass myself, I can’t truly make a direct comparison and, of course, I’m a bit biased anyway, but! I think there are three major things that make 1Password the best choice, regardless of the competition.

🔐Security

Security comes first in all things and you don’t have to take our word for it. We’ve written a simple rundown of how 1Password keeps your data safe designed to be understandable to anyone. For the more technically minded, we’ve published our Security Design White Paper (PDF) to dive as deep as you’d like into the inner workings of 1Password and understand what it does to safeguard your most important data. This transparency is really important to us. It allows all of you to understand how 1Password works and make sure it’s the best solution for you, your family and your business.

We use your Secret Key as an extra layer of protection for your data on our servers, and are constantly on the lookout for new vulnerability. We offer a substantial reward to anyone that finds a vulnerability in 1Password and regularly ask independent security auditors to analyze 1Password and report back on where they feel we can improve. Knowing that we’re constantly vigilant in preparing for and preventing threats and that it’s not just us saying 1Password is secure can help y’all feel more comfortable entrusting 1Password with your important data.

🎉Ease of Use

We believe that online security should be for everybody. If you don’t know exactly how encryption works or understand the inner workings of Secure Remote Password, you should still be able to use 1Password to keep your data safe and ensure your passwords are strong and unique. We’re constantly working to make 1Password easier to use and features from automatic sync to secure sharing with your family to item history for when you do make a mistake all contribute towards that goal. Think of the most untechnical person you know. We want them to be able to use 1Password.

If you want to see 1Password in action, I recommend checking out our video on Getting to Know 1Password X. 1Password X embodies the goal of simple security. It’s a browser extension for Chrome and Firefox that works all on its own in your browser. It places little 1Password icons in forms it can fill as a friendly reminder that you can use it to make signing in or filling credit card and address details easier and all you need to do to when you see one is click it or press the down arrow with your cursor in the field you want to fill. Select the item you want to fill and you’re done.

💙Support

Everyone at 1Password does support. No, really, everyone. If you e-mail us, you might hear from me, or one of our development team, or even Dave, one of our founders. Building great software is all well and good, but if you’re not there to help when folks have trouble or available to teach someone to get the most of what you’ve built, you’re not going to get very far. Whether you’re just getting started with 1Password and looking for tips on how to use it best or you’ve been using it for years and have tracked down a bug, our support team is available 24/7 to help.

We’ve also published several troubleshooting guides and articles to help you use 1Password more efficiently and effectively on our support site and are constantly updating them to make them even better. Many include helpful videos, like the one I linked for 1Password X, to guide you through accomplishing specific tasks or learn about the features of 1Password. We all learn differently and the videos can be a great help to folks who learn better visually.

So, are we the best out there? I sure think so. But that’s a decision you need to make for yourself. A 1Password membership is free for 30 days, so I’d encourage you to give it a try. Take 1Password for a spin and see what you think. If you have questions, ask away. Our support team is here to help the whole way and happy to lend a hand where you need it. And, even if you decide not to stick with it, let us know what you think! We’re always working to improve and your feedback can only help us work towards making 1Password the best choice for you, even if it isn’t already. 🙂