Introducing 1Password 6.6 for Windows

We’ve been hard at work on a major update for 1Password 6 for Windows and I’m so excited to finally share it with all of you.  1Password 6.6 for Windows is here and it is HUGE.  I can’t possibly discuss every new feature here – there are 24 brand new features and 89 total changes made – but I’ll highlight a few that I’m most excited about.

Rich icons

Rich icons now adorn your items in 1Password 6 for Windows. This seems like a small thing, but it was probably the most common feature request I saw and I was super stoked to see these little guys waiting to greet me when I unlocked 1Password this morning. I’m sure many of you now need to scratch one thing off of your wish list, but don’t put the pencil down just yet.  You’ll need it to check off a few more before you’re done reading.

Fully automatic updates

If you’ve been diligently keeping 1Password 6 up-to-date on your PC, you’ve likely become well-acquainted with the settings menu as you check the updates section for new 1Password goodies.  That menu has been spruced up with a new icon and a new home on the redesigned left-hand sidebar along with a new help menu — just in case you need a hand.  It looks pretty spiffy, but you may find yourself paying fewer visits to check for updates, because 1Password for Windows will now update automatically while it’s locked and let you know when an update is ready.  So grab that pencil again and cross that off your to-do list — let 1Password keep itself updated from now on.

Favorites and move and duplicate, oh my!

Now that your to-do list is a bit smaller, why not spend some of that extra time marking items as Favorites in 1Password 6 for Windows?  Go ahead and show your most used items how much you appreciate them by giving them a gold star and a special spot in your favorites tab for easy access.

It may be a bit late for Spring cleaning, but if your vaults are feeling a bit cluttered it’s still a great time to to tidy up a bit. You can now move your items to a new home in a new vault without having to go back and clean up the extra copy left behind.  If you want an extra copy, you can also duplicate an item.  Move Item, Duplicate and Add to Favorites can all be found in a handy menu when you right-click an item.

New digs for 1Password and a fresh look for mini

1Password for Windows got a modern makeover in 6.6 to help you peruse your items in style. From splitting Categories, Tags and Security into tabs to giving the left-hand sidebar a fresh new look, 1Password is dressed to impress.

1Password mini also got a fresh coat of paint, and whether you access it in your notification area or from the extension icon in your browser, mini is ready to help you quickly find the item you need with more options in the sidebar, including easy access to your newly gilded favorites.

Search superpowers for mini

Finally, you can now search for items in 1Password mini from the extension icon or the notification area, whether you’re already browsing the web or just getting started. Improved ranking ensures you see exact matches for the site you’re on right at the top of the list with close matches right below. If you know precisely what you’re looking for, enclose your search terms in quotes to perform a precision search and make sure 1Password mini is finding the item that’s just right.

But wait! There’s more!

These new features are also waiting for you just a click of the update button away:

• The vault menu has been redesigned in the main 1Password window and 1Password mini and you can now select a 1Password account to view its vaults or search for vaults.
  • Control + Click on the 1Password icon in your notification area to open the main 1Password window.
  • 1Password now remembers the maximized and minimized window states when you close it and will restore in the same state when opened again.
  • Press the Control + Delete key on a selected item in the main 1Password window to quickly move it to the Trash.
  • Restore items from Trash right in 1Password for Windows.
  • 1Password now automatically saves any unsaved edit session if you attempt to edit another item, 1Password auto-locks, or the 1Password window has been closed.
  • Autosubmit and Display in browser options are now available in the Login editor.
  • Press the ESC key to cancel the auto-save dialog from the 1Password extension.

That’s not all either, check out the release notes for a complete list of all 89 features, improvements and fixes headed your way!

Give it a try today!

If you’re already using 1Password 6 for Windows, go ahead and check for updates one last time to enjoy the features above and many more.  If you’re still using 1Password 4 for Windows and are wondering what the fuss is all about, now is a great time to give a 1Password account a try.  It’s free for 30 days, so go ahead — start enjoying the awesome benefits of a 1Password account and check out the great new things 1Password 6 has to offer. : )

1. Paul
    Paul says:

Wait, what happened to “We are working hard on adding support for standalone licenses, and 1PW 6 for Windows will be a free update for owners of 1PW 4 for Windows licenses”?

It’s already very disappointing that, almost a year later, 1PW 6 for Windows still does not support standalone licenses, and that the focus of development has instead shifted to adding convenience features. But if you are now also going back on those original promises, that would really be upsetting.

brenty says:

Heya, Paul! I’m really sorry for the confusion. We’ve never announced that 1Password for Windows versions 6 would be a free upgrade for anyone, since, as it sounds like you’re aware, it only supports 1Password.com accounts so far. We’re not working on local vault support currently, but it’s definitely something we’d like to revisit in the future. In the mean time, it doesn’t cost you anything extra to use the version you’ve already paid for, and that will work with your current setup as well without you having to migrate to a 1Password.com account. That said, I’d encourage you to give it a try, and if you’ll shoot us an email at support@1password.com we’ll be happy to help you make that transition if you want. :)

• Submariner
      Submariner says:

Well, the Windows version did not use to be a “1Password Account” only product. I bought a license for Windows in 2010 and paid for the upgrade to v.4 in 2014. It was always light-years behind the Mac client, but I always hoped it’d change. Guess not. I was in the middle of moving back to 1Password for the Brave browser support, but I’m done. Back to Enpass. I’ll manually copy and paste to log in. By the way, for the benefit of those that are sticking around, at what version do you plan on dumping the standalone Mac licenses?

For the record, I’ve paid for every version since the 3.0 Beta in 2009 and even paid for the subscription for a brief period, but decided to go back to the standalone licenses, for both my Mac and Windows, because the subscription model didn’t offer anything above what my synching with Dropbox and/or iCloud did. It still doesn’t. I loved what you guys were doing, and supported it with my dollars because of the outstanding product and the value it offered. I’m sad to say, I no longer see that value, especially since the licenses I paid for have me locked at an old version now. And I would have paid for the standalone license upgrade, too. This time, it’s not me, it’s you.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Submariner! While we have no plans right now to stop offering standalone licenses entirely, we do have to make choices when setting priorities for future development and right now we’ve chosen to focus on 1Password accounts. Of course, we do see increased value in 1Password accounts. We were able to implement account recovery features for teams and families, Travel Mode, and provide browser access to data thanks to the centralized server and we hope to take further advantage of it in the future.

Of course, if these aren’t features that interest you and you don’t see value there, that’s fine and we understand. Value is in the eye of the beholder and choice is important to us (even the choice to use something other than 1Password). So no matter what you choose, stay safe out there. We wish you the best and hope we see you again if later development and features win you over, whether that’s adding standalone support to 1Password 6 for Windows or something else entirely.

• Paul
      Paul says:

For Mac, the upgrade from 1PW 4 to 6 was free and when I made a friend switch to 1Password last fall, I would have never asked her to pay $65 for a 1PW 4 for Windows license (and $15? for an iOS one) if I had thought it was possible that the upgrade to Version 6 would not be free for her, especially since that version was already out of beta and there were a number of statements by AgileBits employees that made it clear that support for standalone licenses just didn’t make it into the initial 6.0 release, but was something that was definitely coming and being worked on with priority.

Just to give you one example, Jeff Shiner wrote:

we simply haven’t had enough time to include everything in our initial 6.0 release so we decided to focus on Teams/Families/individuals as there was previously no Windows app for them at all. We will continue to push forward as quicky as possible adding features that are currently only available in 1Password 4 along with support for standalone licenses.

By contrast, now you are saying, a full year later at version 6.6, standalone support is not even being worked on and is only something “we’d like to revisit in the future”. That’s a pretty big reversal and quite depressing to people like me who strongly prefer the standalone version (and are willing to regularly pay for upgrades, just to avoid any confusion about that).

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Paul. To put things in context, many of those features Jeff was referencing were things like rich icons or move/duplicate/favorite that were added in this release. For those using a 1Password account on Windows, this is the first time they’ve been able to enjoy these features while those using 1Password 4 have had them all along. Like Jeff said, we wanted to give those using a 1Password account a Windows app with all these bells and whistles. That was the priority then and it remains the priority now. I know one person’s “as quickly as possible” is often another person’s “entirely too long” and this may well be one of those cases. We do appreciate your support over the years and will continue to support you using 1Password 4 and standalone vault in general so long as you choose to take that path.

I know it’s frustrating, but we do get it, which is one reason we don’t delete discussions like this. We understand, even if we can’t give you what you want right now and may disagree with some criticisms. There’s a point at which I’m going to start sounding like a broken record and I may have already passed it, so I will just wish you the best and welcome further comments if you’ve got them. :)

• Owen Rubin
      Owen Rubin says:

I have to admit I am +1 with all the standalone comments here as well. I am using ver 4 on my Windows machines (which I paid a family license for) as well as the paid stand alone versions on my Mac and iOS devices. On my new Android I just have the free version at the moment, because I am having a hard time wanting to pay for it right now, because I might be looking for a new solution.

Like others here, the account idea offers me nothing more than a way to be charged a LOT more money for something that adds little to no value or functionality for me. I seem to be hearing that a lot here actually.

Sadly, when you do decide accounts are the only way to go (which I see happening soon), I will either use the current versions until they stop working, or find an alternate solution sooner, which is sad. I have no problem paying for software, but I do not like renting it.

I hope you hear that there are many of us saying the same thing, and you will give it more than the platitudes I am reading here sadly. I used to recommend this to just about everyone I know, I made clients buy it and install it, and have blogged and podcasted about it. Sadly, since your big transition to the account model, I have stopped doing all of that. :-(

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

If you’re looking for standalone news, Owen, you’re reading the wrong post! Come on over here and take a gander. I’d bet you’ll find a few things of interest. 🙂

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey y’all! In case you missed it, I wanted to pop by and let you know that we’ve just made an exciting announcement about standalone vaults in 1Password for Windows. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

2. Michael
    Michael says:

Well, I’m a long standing user of 1Password 4 and really never want to pay for a subscription – happy to pay for upgrades. For months you have denied ditching us 1Password 4 users. Clearly this is not the case. Very Very disappointed how you have handled this. You might have come clean about wanting us all (forcing us all) to migrate to your subscription model.

brenty says:

Heya, Michael! Thanks for charing your thoughts. Honestly, we have been really open about the fact that we believe that 1Password.com is the best way to use 1Password, but if you’ve been busy (we have been too!) I wouldn’t blame you if you missed some of our earlier blog posts talking about this. We absolutely want everyone to enjoy all of the benefits of a 1Password.com membership…but if you’re happy with your setup, there’s no need to pay anything further. You can continue to use the version you’ve paid for as long as you have the hardware to run it! I’d still encourage you to give 1Password.com a try, and if you’ll shoot us an email at support@1password.com we’ll see if there’s anything we can do to help if you want to make the switch. Take care! :)

brenty says:

Ah, and I also wanted to mention that we haven’t forgotten about 1Password 4: we’ve got a new beta this month to support upcoming browser changes, so that you can and others continue to use 1Password 4 if you wish. Keep an eye out for updates! ;)

• Michael
      Michael says:

Hmm, so my last reply seems to have been deleted … will try again.

I never said I wanted something for free. Always happy to pay for a great product. However as @paul said you no longer have any intention of following thru. I’d love to give you money for a standalone product and pay for upgrades as needed if I wish. Give the customer a choice instead of forcing a subscription on to me. Much better to create a win win situation for us all don’t you think?

brenty says:

Your reply wasn’t deleted, but blog comments do need to be approved, Michael. Thanks for your patience. I think we can agree that he web has enough spam already! :p

• Brian Bulkowski
      Brian Bulkowski says:

Hi! I’m not going to tell you that you should include free upgrades. Your business is your business. I’m happy to pay for your work and updates ( or move to another solution if you charge too much ).

I love the original 1password model where I can keep my password files where I like, with the security I like, without having to trust your service.

It was a great model! You sold me on it. And other have gotten hacked.

As a mac user ( just switching back to windows after a long absence ), the number of things I miss in 1Pass Win 4 is tragic. No password generator that I can find. Editing entries is impossible. Flaky plugins.

Please please please support standalone for Win 6. Please charge for the upgrade.

My eyes are starting to wander to other password solutions, otherwise, although your support for the new Oreo password features – ahead of the rest of the industry – is stellar and might keep me in the flock for a while.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Brian! Standalone vaults are on the way for 1Password 7 and this will be a paid upgrade. We’re working on it right now, but the standalone vault support in 1Password 7 will be all new and built from scratch, so we don’t really have a defined timeline right now. I hope we’ll have more detail to share soon, but time will tell.

1Password 4 has a password generator in the 1Password extension, just like 1Passowrd for Mac. Editing items, I’ll grant you, is quite different from Mac or 1Password 6 for Windows. You can manually edit items my selecting an item and clicking the pencil icon in the item details pane, but for Logins, 1Password 4 does work a lot better when you allow the extension to do the work for you. 1Password 4 also uses the same extension as 1Password 6. Yes, the UI will look a bit different, but it’s still the same extension under the hood.

I can understanding your comment about editing completely. Moving from my PC to my Mac even with 1Password 6 has enough little differences that I’m thrown at times and 1Password 4 is more wildly different from 1Password for Mac than 1Password 6 for Windows is, but it certainly shouldn’t be impossible. Plus, the extension and password generator should definitely still work for you. We do still support 1Password 4 for Windows, so I’d love to help you get it working better for you (at least until 1Password 7 is ready). A few things to check:

1. Make sure Native Messaging is enabled (Help > Advanced > Use Native Messaging protocol)
      2. Make sure you do have the latest 1Password extension (4.6.11)
      3. If you’re following the proper editing procedure and still have trouble, let us know. You can even mention me in your e-mail and I’ll be sure to take a look at it.

A lot of folks really love 1Password 4, but we know it still needs an upgrade and we’re working hard on it. It’s going to take some time yet, but we’re here for you to help with any issues with 1Password 4 until you upgrade to 1Password 7 down the road. 😊

I’m glad 1Password for Android will be able to ease the pain of waiting on 1Password 7. I’m jealous, myself. My Android is going to be permanently stuck on Nougat, so I have no exciting new features to tide me over while 1Password 7 is being built myself. I’ll have to live vicariously through you until I’m able to buy a new phone. Thanks for the compliments and I’ll be sure to pass them along to our Android team. 😊

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey y’all! We know actions speak louder than words, so I wanted to pop by and let you know that we’ve just made an exciting announcement about standalone vaults in 1Password for Windows. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

3. Peter Lindeman
    Peter Lindeman says:

So only usable with an account and you leave first day customers in the cold? Please tell me I’m wrong!

brenty says:

I really don’t want to say “you’re wrong”, Peter, because that sounds a bit rude…so I’ll just clarify that whichever version of 1Password you’ve purchased, your license never expires and you can continue to use it for as long as you have the equipment to do so. And while we can’t give everything we’ve done since then away for free (even if we want to), if you’d like to switch to a 1Password.com account, just sign up and shoot us an email at support@1password.com with your purchase details and we’ll see what we can do to help you make the transition. Cheers! :)

• Michael
      Michael says:

I don’t think I said I want anything for free. I just want the option of either purchasing a product and any upgrades as needed OR a subscription model. Let the customer decide. And if I choose to purchase 1 Password, don’t shut me out if I don’t want to buy an upgrade. In fact I’d goes as far to say I’d be happy to pay a little more for being able to buy the product out right. Then it becomes a win win for us all don’t you think?

brenty says:

No no, I said we’d like things to be free, Michael. But that’s just no way to run a sustainable business. We’ve spent the last decade making 1Password, and we’d plan on making it even better in the decades to come. And we can only do that if we get paid for our work.

Regarding choice, it’s up to you whether you choose to support us. This is the direction we’ve chosen based on overwhelming feedback over the years. 1Password memberships began with 1Password (for) Teams, back in November 2015. If you had any idea how often we were asked for this service by companies, you’d understand why we built it. But when we introduced it in beta, many people used it for their families and asked for family pricing, so the obvious next step was 1Password Families. I’m sure you can imagine what the next big request was at that point: individuals. So we’re now offering all three. If people weren’t requesting these things, we would likely have never spent the time and energy it took to create the new 1Password.com platform, but we were asked for them many times over the years.

But you’re right: initially we were offering licenses and subscriptions side by side in both the apps and our website. Over the course of a year though, it became clear that this was a problem. A big problem. Thousands of people contacted us, confused, frustrated, and often angry, because they’d purchased licenses and couldn’t use 1Password seamlessly across all of their devices. So earlier this year we deemphasized and ultimately stopped marketing licenses altogether, and things have calmed down considerably.

Now, if you’re happy with your setup, that’s fine. But not everyone wants to (or is comfortable with) managing licenses across multiple platforms and configuring sync for multiple devices. So we’re focused on making it easier for everyone to be secure. That doesn’t take anything away from you, but it makes a big difference to a lot of other people. :)

• Michael
      Michael says:

Folks should do the maths for subscription models. My dad is 88 and using the standalone version. Let’s say I start using your product at 40. To continue using your product I have to pay you a yearly subscription for the next 40+ years … Sorry it’s not going to happen.

brenty says:

Yeah, I try not to do those calculations, Michael. Given that Netflix is roughly twice what a 1Password.com membership costs, it gets pretty scary. And that’s one of my cheaper subscriptions! But honestly, when compared with that, for the number of times a day I use 1Password, I get a lot of value out of it…and — unlike Netflix — it actually makes me more productive. So, actually, thanks for bringing that up! I feel a little bit better now. :D

4. Paul
    Paul says:

Weird, my post got deleted. Fortunately I still had it in my clipboard manager:

It’s already very disappointing that, almost a year later, 1PW 6 for Windows still does not support standalone licenses, and that the focus of development has shifted to adding convenience features instead. But if you are now also going back on those original promises, that would really be upsetting.

brenty says:

Your post wasn’t deleted, Paul. But blog comments do require approval to combat spam. Sorry for the scare. Stay safe out there! :)

5. Thomas
    Thomas says:

It looks better compared to before.
    I could not find a way to select only certain vaults for the “all vaults” view. (I am on the family team version). Did i just oversee that option?

Thomas

brenty says:

Glad to hear you’re liking the new version, Thomas! You’re not missing anything: we haven’t added an option to hide specific vaults yet, but we’ll be adding that in an update. Thanks for the good word! :)

6. Greg
    Greg says:

Ridiculous that the Windows version doesn’t support local vaults with syncing. Parity with OSX on this particular feature should be a higher priority since there are customers who have already paid for software that worked without the requirement for a paid cloud-connected sync.

brenty says:

Thanks for reaching out, Greg! I know it’s confusing, but as they say “there’s an app for that!” If you’ve purchased 1Password 4, you’ve already got local vaults and syncing on Windows. Folks using 1Password.com accounts didn’t have a Windows app they could use though, and since it wasn’t possible to add that functionality to 1Password 4, we had to build a brand new app. If you want features, 1Password 4 still has a head start, since we spent literally years building it. And it doesn’t cost you anything more to use a license you’ve already purchased. Cheers! :)

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Greg! I know I’m resurrecting an old thread here, but since we’ve got news for you, I hope I can be forgiven. We’ve just made an exciting announcement about standalone vaults in 1Password for Windows. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

7. Greg
    Greg says:

brenty,

1Password 4 on Windows is totally unusable with vaults larger than 1000+ entries, and there are a number of posts on your discussion boards about this issue. So, really, using 1Password 4 on Windows is not an option due to the sluggish performance. With my ~1100 entries in my local vault it takes over a minute for it to open, and editing/saving entries sometimes takes 20-30 seconds. v4 on MacOS (on older and much less capable hardware) the same local file opens almost instantly.

I think the question is – since v6 on OSX supports local vaults why is that feature not present in the Windows version? You have an awesome product, but the reason I purchased the software in the first place was because of the ability to sync locally without needing to rely on a subscription or someone else’s cloud. Enpass has feature parity across all the platforms they develop for and they haven’t made any attempt to push users into a subscription model. Cheers! :)

brenty says:

That’s a great question, Greg! I didn’t go into much detail earlier, but as I mentioned briefly, it wasn’t possible to retrofit 1Password 4 to work with 1Password.com accounts. Frankly it would have been easier for everyone if that were possible, but since it wasn’t we had to build a brand new Windows app so folks with 1Password.com memberships would have something to use as well. 1Password for Mac essentially gets local vault support “for free” since we didn’t have to build a new app on macOS. There just hasn’t been as much dramatic change there as there has been with Windows in recent years.

And as you can imagine, building a new app from scratch is a pretty big undertaking, and we have to carefully prioritize what we work on. And since people using local vaults already had 1Password 4 with licenses they’d already purchased and sync setups that already worked for them (myself included), we’ve focused on building 1Password 6 first and foremost to support 1Password.com, since everyone else could already use 1Password on their PCs to do things we take for granted like filling logins in the browser. Until we literally made the new app capable of this, this just wasn’t possible with a 1Password.com account. The web interface is useful, but I don’t imagine anyone would want to use that exclusively. And again, those not using 1Password.com have 1Password 4 already.

This actually brings us to the performance issues you mentioned with 1Password 4. Since it was developed long before the newest Windows frameworks and web standards (which 1Password.com support depends on), we couldn’t simply update it to get this stuff there. It was developed before OPVault and today’s heavily multithreaded systems, and just hasn’t scaled as well as we’d hoped. Hindsight being 20/20, right? But as much as sometimes this feels like “If only we’d done things differently”, we just didn’t have the options that are avaiable to us today at that time. That said, it’s definitely worth looking into your issue specifically, as the details can matter. Please shoot us an email at support+windows@agilebits.com with the info. 1Password for Mac is a bit of an Apples and oranges comparison due to the development/operating environment, but there may be something we can do to help.

Regarding “someone else’s cloud”, it sounds like security is really important to you. As I’m sure you know, security is our top priority. Otherwise, frankly, we wouldn’t feel comfortable using 1Password.com either. Just to put things in perpective, I’d like to offer a few points that summarize how 1Password secures our data:

1. Your 1Password data is encrypted locally on your device before it is transmitted.
      2. The server receives only an encrypted blob.
      3. Your Master Password is never transmitted.

You might think I’m talking about 1Password.com specifically there, but that’s the case no matter what 1Password setup you use — even syncing locally. You may not think that matters, but it means that your data is end-to-end encrypted and cannot be compromised even if you’re using WLAN Server and someone else is listening, whether that be on public Wi-Fi, at work, or if a device at home (or your home network itself) is compromised. The only difference being that 1Password.com data is also encrypted using the 128-bit, randomly generated Secret Key, which is also never transmitted to us. So there’s an additional layer of security there as well. This matters because unless we don’t sync data at all, it’s going to at the very least pass through someone else’s computer, even if that’s “just” a router or other devices on the network that can see the traffic as it goes by.

Indeed, when you use 1Password, the only person with the ability to access your data is you. Even with 1Password.com, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since the Secret Key is created locally, your Master Password is only known by you, and neither is ever transmitted to us, only you have the means to decrypt the data. Most critically, even if someone gains access to our servers and dumps the full database (we’ve designed 1Password.com with the worst-case scenario in mind), they simply don’t have what they need to decrypt it, as each individual user alone has the keys to their data. So an attacker won’t have that and can’t get it from AgileBits, even if they get everything else. There’s a lot more detail in our security white paper, but that’s in a nutshell how it works. And since you don’t have to give up any security in order to enjoy the convenience (and many other benefits) of a 1Password.com membership, I encourage you to give it a try and see for yourself. We’re happy to help with that at support@1password.com and see if there’s anything else we can do to help. :)

8. Mike B
    Mike B says:

Sorry, this is utter rubbish and you know it.
    I would (will) gladly pay for a version upgrade such as this, but making this version (after such a long wait) only available to 1Password.com account is just terrible.
    I just knew (despite your repeated, canned reassurances at the time) that when you announced the subscription model way-back-when that you wouldn’t be able to help yourselves… and here we are.
    I have no intention of adding yet ANOTHER monthly charge to my CC when the standalones on every other platform work so well.
    This is truly disappointing. I (don’t) look forward to your yeah-but-no-but-yeah response.
    Sad!

brenty says:

I’m sorry to hear that you feel that way, Mike B. But the fact is that you couldn’t have known because we didn’t either. Otherwise we would have saved ourselves a lot of effort working on different ways to market both options without causing a lot of confusion…which in turn would have saved many customers from the frustration of purchasing the standalone app and being unable to use 1Password seamlessly across all of their devices. We tried it that way for a year and it was a disaster. We can’t change the past, but we’ve made changes on our website and in the apps to make sure that new users get everything they need from the start, without taking anything away from existing users like yourself. I’m glad to hear that the standalone apps are working well for you still. Any licenses you’ve purchased never expire, so you can continue using the setup you paid for without having to pay anything more. You can always try a 1Password.com members free for 30 days if you want to take advantage of the additional benefits it has to offer though, and we’re happy to work with you at support@1password.com to help in any way we can, regardless of which path you choose. :)

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Greg! A bit late, perhaps, but I can now say we aren’t ending standalone licenses, I have proof! We’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows I think you’ll be happy about. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

9. SK
    SK says:

Disappointed in the new subscription licensing. I like 1Password as a product, but I refuse to pay monthly. I think you guys need to seriously rethink this strategy of treating your previously satisfied customers with bait and switch tactics. Going to continue using 1password 4 till the wheels fall off I guess… and then I will be looking for an alternative standalone product.

brenty says:

I’m really sorry if it feels that way to you. We’re happy to work with you at support@1password.com to help in any way we can, so I hope you’ll reach out. However, I don’t think “bait and switch” is fair. If you paid for a license, the fact that we’re offering 1Password.com memberships now doesn’t revoke that or cause it to expire. You can use the version you paid for as you always have. If you don’t see a value in a 1Password.com membership, you don’t have to pay for one; but if that’s the case, you’re also not missing out on anything. But you can always try it free for 30 days if you’re not sure, and we’re happy to help you no matter which path you choose. :)

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey SK! I hope those 1Password 4 wheels are still going strong, but it’s about time to give ’em a break. We’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows I think will make you pretty happy. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

10. Cameron
    Cameron says:

My work windows computer stays on Win 7.

Am I probably waiting for my work computer to get higher windows version before I can try v6 of 1password?

I use 1password on Mac, iOS and windows.

The site needs info on …if you have windows x you can use only version y of 1password. If you have version z of windows you can use only version w of 1password.

brenty says:

Ah, good question, Cameron! In fact, we’ve built the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app to run on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10. We have minimum requirements on our download page:

But you did the right thing by asking. When in doubt, reach out. Cheers! :)