Why We Love 1Password Memberships

TL;DR: We love 1Password. We love you. We believe 1Password memberships are the best and will shout it from the mountaintops, but standalone vaults aren’t being removed.

Recently a customer wrote in to praise us for handling a sticky situation with a quick and decisive response. They signed off their post with “from a happy customer”.

Jeff, our resident Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts, replied and signed his message with “from a happy 1Password maker”.

This was really cute and I loved the play on words. It also got me thinking though: we really are happy 1Password makers.

From a happy 1Password maker

Jeff’s phrase is similar to a statement that I tell our team often and expound upon during interviews: we all need to be working at our dream jobs. So I really shouldn’t be surprised by Jeff’s signature. But it stuck with me as I adored its simplicity.

Quick and to the point. And at the same time, a revelation. I absolutely loved it.

1Password is what it is today because we all love working here and have fun helping our customers. We are completely self-funded, independent, have turned down all offers from venture capitalists, and our board of directors consists entirely of people who work on 1Password and help customers directly each and every day.

As a result we’re able to provide true security and never compromise on protecting the privacy of our customers. We don’t have to and never will sell your information or spam you with ads.

The bottom line is we have a complete focus on 1Password and since we’re working on stuff we love, we’re excited and have the desire to constantly improve and make 1Password the best it can be. We’re happy to be able to do this.

Happy 1Password memberships

How is happiness related to 1Password memberships? Simple. We created 1Password memberships to make 1Password the best it can be. And a direct result of 1Password memberships is happier 1Password makers and customers alike.

I am so much happier now that 1Password has the power of memberships to help me help our customers. With memberships, there are several things that I no longer need to do, and as a direct result I have more time to improve 1Password and help more customers.

With 1Password memberships we have a wonderful set of things we no longer need to do. I call it my No More list and here are just the highlights:

No More telling people who had syncing misconfigured (or didn’t realize that syncing needed to be manually configured) that I’m sorry they lost their data when they reset their phone. With 1Password memberships, all your data is synced automatically when you sign in, so there’s nothing to set up or worry about configuring wrong.

No More telling people that I’m sorry that when they deleted some files from their hard drive they didn’t recognize they inadvertently deleted all their 1Password data. With 1Password memberships, everyone enjoys data loss protection that ensures this can never happen.

No More explaining that we don’t have any control or visibility into third-party sync solutions and are therefore limited when troubleshooting problems. With 1Password memberships, we are in complete control of both sides of the connection so we’re able to optimize things, quickly troubleshoot, and improve immediately when a problem is found. All this results in a rock solid solution that results in an entire category of issues no longer affecting our customers.

No More explaining why purchasing 1Password on one platform doesn’t automatically unlock it on all other platforms. Not only is it really hard for customers to understand that 1Password is “licensed per person, per platform, with paid upgrades”, but it’s an incredible mouthful for us to even say. With 1Password memberships, you simply subscribe once and you get access to 1Password everywhere.

No More needing to hold back on features for creating a “big splash” for major upgrades. These require purchasing a license upgrade and so it’s important that we save up features (often for a year or more) so we can woo customers to open up their wallets. With 1Password memberships, we can give people new features as soon as they are available so they can enjoy them right away. See Travel Mode and 1Password for Slackers for examples of this.

I wish I could also say No More for explaining to people who have forgotten their Master Password that 1Password uses true security and they therefore need to start over. But with 1Password memberships I can at least share the good news that families and teams can use Account Recovery to restore their own access.

And with the time we save from not needing to do these things, we’ll be able to improve 1Password itself to make it easier for customers to remember their Master Passwords. So perhaps someday soon this will indeed end up on my No More list.

Nudging people towards 1Password memberships

Now of course not everyone is on 1Password memberships yet, so we do indeed still work through these issues every day. So it’s not truly a No More list. At least not yet. Still, the number of people on memberships continues to grow every day, so we’re quickly seeing more and more of these bright spots as we move throughout our day.

All these bright spots add up to an even happier set of 1Password makers. And that’s as important for you as it is for us, because the happier a 1Password maker is, the better they’ll be able to widen the smiles of 1Password customers everywhere. Nothing great was ever created without passion, and this is just as true for designing and developing software as it is for customer support. I’m really excited about this and hope that someday 100% of our customers will embrace 1Password memberships.

Now the thing is, I know it’s not realistic to expect everyone to be able to be able to join one of our memberships at this time. As great as 1Password memberships are, I know that our excitement for them can cause some people to become worried. After all, many have corporate policies or regional restrictions that prevent them from using a hosted solution like ours, and so they’re understandably concerned and want to know that there’s a future for them with 1Password.

These worries are compounded by the fact that 1Password 6 for Windows was designed from the ground up to support 1Password Teams customers only (and then later expanded to include family and individual plans), and we are unsure how this adventure will play out on the Windows side of the world, so we haven’t made any public announcements about when support for standalone vaults will be added, if ever. Many Mac users worry that the same fate awaits 1Password 6 for Mac, and that we will remove support for local vaults and force them to pay again.

This isn’t going to happen. First, it would be evil to take away something you’ve already paid for. And evil doesn’t make for a Happy 1Password Customer, which is the cornerstone for a Happy 1Password Maker. It’s simply not who we are.

For those who purchased 1Password 6 for Mac already, you’re perfectly fine the way you are and can continue rocking 1Password the way you have been. There’s no requirement to change anything as we will not be removing features or forcing you to subscribe. In fact we’re still selling licenses of 1Password 6 for Mac for those that really need them (you can find them today on the setup screen under More Options).

And you need not worry about 1Password 7 for Mac, either, as it will continue to support standalone vaults just like version 6 does today.

We know that not everyone is ready to make the jump yet, and as such, we will continue to support customers who are managing their own standalone vaults. 1Password 6 and even 1Password 7 will continue to support standalone vaults. But 1Password memberships are indeed awesome and are the best way to use 1Password, and as such, I am going to continue to nudge you over when ever I can 🙂

Love Dave,
A Happy 1Password Maker ❤️ 🇨🇦

P. S. Please don’t think our excitement for memberships has anything to do with money. We’re completely self-funded so we don’t have any investors forcing us to make changes by looking solely at our bottom line. We were doing just fine selling individual licenses and AgileBits was already steadily growing before 1Password Teams was even introduced. We created 1Password Memberships because we had a vision for how 1Password could be even better and we followed our dreams. The result has been stupendously awesome and better than our wildest dreams! Today, over 95% of our revenues are coming from subscribers, which is truly mind blowing. Many investment strategists would say it makes sense to simply drop support for everything else and focus on the money. That’s not how we do things around here. We focus on people, love, and happiness. It’s the way we do things and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

P. P. S. You can create a 1Password membership and move all your existing data over today in just a few minutes. Learn more here. Like I said, I’m going to continue to non-apologetically nudge you over whenever I can 😉

1. Jeff Shiner
    Jeff Shiner says:

I remember back about three years ago when we first started designing what would eventually become our 1Password memberships. I was out at NSNorth having dinner and talking with a group of folks who used 1Password but were struggling to effectively share credentials within their team.

Roustem, Dave and I missed most of the rest of that conference as we were incredibly excited to put our thoughts together on how to best solve this problem. By the end of the week we had a high-level plan on what we wanted 1Password Teams to be. A year and a half later we launched the beta for 1Password Teams, followed by the corresponding family and individual memberships.

It’s been tremendously exciting and rewarding to see what we’ve been able to accomplish. I truly believe that 1Password memberships make 1Password the best it can be.

This would never have been possible a few years ago in part because our team was simply too small. But with a growing team we were able to continue to have separate development teams for our 1Password apps while building our Go based 1Password service. I mention Go because I am currently in Denver at GopherCon missing yet another conference. :)

I mention the size of our team because it was our license customers that allowed us to grow to this size. When I read the various posts spreading about I am most saddened by the suggestions that we are abandoning these customers to run after the money.

When I first came to AgileBits five years ago, all Dave and Roustem talked about were our customers. I was coming from companies, even good companies, but they always wanted to turn the discussion to money. I can’t tell you how refreshing this focus on customers has been.

So for me the most exciting part of Dave’s announcement here is that he’s still the same Dave that drew me to AgileBits in the first place.

I do love our 1Password memberships and use them at both work and with my family. I’d love for everyone to give them a try but will happily continue to support you if you don’t.

• Alex
      Alex says:

“When I read the various posts spreading about I am most saddened by the suggestions that we are abandoning these customers to run after the money.”

It may be that AgileBits is not doing this just for the money. Nevertheless, AgileBits’ behavior is identical to what we would expect if they were doing a money grab. It’s a good thing AgileBits is writing so many blog posts and comments about how it’s not a money-grab! Otherwise we might be forced to judge the company by its actions.

It’s like the playground bully saying “This is for your own good!” while punching me. Useful piece of information, that! Yet a little funny how I just happen to get the same colored bruises whether or not the bully thinks it’s good for me…

“I can’t tell you how refreshing this focus on customers has been.”

It sounds to me like you’re expanding to new, different customers. Does this influx of money mean you’re going to start working on non-cloud features and bug fixes?

I’ve reported many bugs and feature requests in the AB forums, over the years, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single one acted upon. Eventually I gave up asking for anything to be improved, because the support channels seemed more interested in trying to convince me it wasn’t a problem, than they were with fixing it.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Alex! I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and I hope you don’t mind my jumping in for Jeff while he’s traveling this week.

I’d argue we’re doing at least one thing directly at odds with a money grab – continuing to sell standalone licenses. Dave mentioned to one of the many folks in the media that contacted us about this recently that going subscription-only would be easier on us, but we still haven’t done it yet. We may one day, but we have no plans to do so any time soon and that day certainly is not today.

It sounds to me like you’re expanding to new, different customers.

We are, but this doesn’t need to be at odds with continuing to serve our existing customers. It would be sad, indeed, if reaching new users meant we had to abandon those already with us. We do think a 1Password membership is the best option for most of our customers, but we don’t want to bully you into one. If you’re happy using 1Password as you have been, keep on keeping on. We use 1Password ourselves, but we built it for you and we’d not be where we are today without your support.

This really bothers me. I spend the vast majority of my time supporting customers and, while I have had to apologize and tell folks we can’t fix a particular issue or add a specific feature, I always try to explain why when I can and I hate to hear that you feel your concerns were ignored. I just shot you an e-mail and, if you’re up for it, I’d love to rehash your concerns and see if we can do anything about them now. I’m sorry we left the impression that we’re not interested in helping you out and I’d love the opportunity to make it up to you. Shoot me a reply when you have the time and I’ll personally make sure it gets the attention it deserves. 🙂

• Ed
      Ed says:

I would argue that the type of customer that needs to share passwords amongst many people within a family or within an organization is different from the type customer that would like to or needs to manage their own password vaults. I don’t see the logic in treating everybody the same. I’ve paid for a bunch of licenses on iOS Mac etc. and I’d happily buy more. I won’t be paying subscriptions however, and I’ll manage my vaults myself. Spend a little extra time to price and offer a product that allows the people who like to or need to manage their own vaults and you can make everybody happy. You don’t have to alienate what are the customers that built 1passwords base to embrace new customers with new needs.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Ed! I think you hit the nail right on the head. 1Password memberships and standalone vaults have existed side-by-side for quite a while already. That hasn’t changed and we have no plans to do things differently moving forward. You’re welcome to buy additional licenses as needed, purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Mac when the time comes and continue to use standalone vaults. If, later on, you decide a 1Password memberships fits your needs, make the switch. If not, keep on keeping out and we’ll be here to help if and when you need it. 🙂

• Johnny A.
      Johnny A. says:

As a 1Password user since the early days in 2006, I will never subscribe, and I hope that you decide to sell both standalone and subscription forever. Here’s why:

Subscriptions can sell on their own merits (super easy sync, secure vault sharing in teams/families, automatic backups, item history, off-site data loss protection, etc). Furthermore, you are completely within your rights to begin adding some frivolous extra non-essential features that only work if signed into the app with an 1Password account, in order to further entice people.

But whatever you do, you do not have the moral right to neuter the offline-online, standalone product many silent professionals know and love: Local vaults and local sync.

And standalone licenses really should come to Windows too. For those who need it. I’ve been waiting for that ever since work began on 1Password 6 for Windows.

Please take this high road. It doesn’t have to be some scummy “either/or” between subscriptions and standalone. It can be both, with each selling on their own merits, where subscriptions is basically everything from standalone + extra features! That’s a perfect harmony. And it’s the exact same codebase! :-)

You’re known for being really great people and one of the most lovable companies in the software industry. I hope it stays that way, and I hope you understand why you’re worrying people, after so many other once-great companies took the low road…

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Johnny A.! You’re effectively telling us to keep doing what we’re already doing.😉 1Passowrd memberships have been around for over a year now, starting with 1Password Teams in June 2016. Standalone vaults and licenses have continued to exist right alongside them. No either/or here. I’ve been talking about this for so long, I’ve actually lost track of the initial catalyst for the more significant resurgence in the perception that standalone vaults are going away, but the reality is that little has changed in the past year. We do understand why folks are worried, but despite that fear, I think most are happy with the current state of things – they’re just worried about the future. We’re happy to do just as you suggest and keep on keeping on. 🙂

As for 1Password 6 for Windows, I’m sure you’ve heard it all before since you’ve been waiting this long, so I’ll (try to) keep it short. As Dave mentioned, we developed 1Password 6 for Windows so that those who choose a 1Password membership had an app to use on Windows. It was built entirely from scratch, so we still have some work to do to make it the app we feel our 1Password membership customers truly deserve. The unpredictable nature of development and the long to-do list does mean we’re not sure if standalone vaults will make it into 1Password 6 for Windows. We hope they do, but at this point it’s just hope. We don’t want to make promises we can’t keep.

I know that’s not what you want to hear, but I think part of being great people is being honest with our customers. It sounds like that’s something you appreciate, so I hope you take these statements as they’re intended – an effort to take that moral high road, even if that means some folks are going to be grumpy with us for a bit. After all, part of taking that high road is also taking your licks when you make a decision that’s unpopular with some, rather than hiding behind half-truths. We’re more than willing to accept those licks in order to keep being our honest, (hopefully) lovable selves.❤️ 😉

• Johnny A
      Johnny A says:

Kate, thank you for reassuring me that you’re taking the high road. I guess you’re still the company I know and love! :-)

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

I’m glad to hear you’re reassured. The high road can be tough at times, but the view is nice from up here and the low road is full of jerks, so we like to stick to it. 😉

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey y’all! In case you missed it, I wanted to pop by and let you know that we’ve just made an exciting announcement about standalone vaults in 1Password for Windows. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

2. Michael Fey
    Michael Fey says:

As a happy 1Password maker myself there is so much in this post that rings true. One of the biggest design and development balancing acts we’ve had to perform since the inception of 1Password.com accounts has been the tightrope walk between supporting our existing customers with their standalone vault setups and guiding new customers into the bright new world that is a 1Password.com account. The sheer number of iterations that we went through on the very first screen that 1Password shows is staggering – and still we look at ways to improve it. Supporting 1Password.com accounts and standalone vaults goes deeper than just that first screen, though. 1Password.com was built from the ground up with a brand new architecture that had to live alongside the standalone architecture. This was something that created an entirely new set of challenges. From the types of items we show in the user interface all the way down to the way we decrypt your vaults, we had to make it work seamlessly. We essentially had to write an entirely new version of 1Password right within the existing version and do it in such a way that non-1Password.com customers weren’t impacted.

Why spend so much time on this? Because it’s the right thing to do. I love our customers. You’re the reason I get to show up to work every day and improve on this product that I love, too.

Speaking of love, I wanted to also take a minute to talk about why I love 1Password.com accounts so much. As a developer I am constantly tearing down my devices and setting them up again – especially my 1Password installations. One of the most recent features we added to 1Password.com accounts makes this process essentially painless. We store your account details securely in your iCloud Keychain which means that setting up my 1Password.com accounts from scratch only requires my Master Password. Since syncing happens seamlessly, automatically, and almost instantaneously all of my items are right there, ready to go, right away. It’s amazing.

3. Sara Teare
    Sara Teare says:

I wanted to chime in and add my 2 cents, especially since one of my roles here is managing all finances, making sure the lights stay on, and the team members (over 80 now!) get paid. I see a lot of comments about how the membership is a money grab and I want to assure you that it’s not. It’s a different way for new users to start using 1Password.

Our older model with a single license would invariably lead a new customer to the question of why there was a need to buy it again, when adding a different platform. We didn’t have the option to put it all together in an easy package for people until now.

Having both purchase options on our site at the same time cause SO MUCH confusion for new customers, which leads to increases in support, as we helped customers sort out what it was they were really trying to purchase.

We’ve found that a greater number of customers want an easy set up, no-muss-no-fuss experience where they have access to things like easy sharing and account managers for data recovery when someone forgets their master password. So while we changed how we focused our sales – again, for new customers – it hasn’t changed our products that existing users have.

We’ve gone a long time without a paid upgrade, which I think leads to the “buy it once, own ALL versions forever” thinking, which isn’t the case. It’s been over 4 years since we’ve had a paid upgrade. That’s not sustainable either, which is why the next version will be a paid upgrade. I’m sure the next questions will be when? And how much? We don’t know that yet, as we focus on building things for today and continue to hope that our history of sharing information as soon as we can, and being fair with discounts, is what our customers remember.

When that day comes, customers will have three choices – 1) do nothing and keep using their existing software; 2) purchase the license upgrade for their device or 3) switch over to the new membership. It’s your choice.

And no matter your choice, we will continue to be here. I’ve been keeping the lights on for 12 years now, and thanks to customers who join 1Password everyday, we’ll keep the lights on for many years to come!!

With that, I wanted to add a final note of thanks to the people we’ve been hearing from, both with positive stories and those with concerns. Somedays I find it hard to see the bright side, and I’m truly grateful that we have a community of people who care about what we do and are willing to engage and challenge us to do better. Thank you!!

• Jon Alper
      Jon Alper says:

You can count on me for a paid upgrade without a blink of hesitation. Ideally a ‘family’ license for which I’d pay more since I use several Macs PLUS an iOS license.

I put enormous value on the stand alone app and LAN sync. It’s why I chose to pay for 1Password over the FREE-for-employees license I can get through work for a competing (allegedly) product.

Please, don’t under-estimate the value of the perpetually licensed product for a certain segment of your customer base who probably have lower support costs that may be harder to measure because these customers go silent for years at a time.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey John! I thought you’d want to know we’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows you won’t want to miss. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

4. Jamie Phelps
    Jamie Phelps says:

I started at AgileBits over eight years ago helping customers full time when our dedicated support team was 3 people and an inbox with 53 total messages sent Dave over the edge—especially when our IRC chatbot reminded Dave that we needed to focus on 1Password 3 above all else. (It still gets a chuckle when I trot out that screenshot.)

I remember fielding a request once from a woman who was asking for our help. She was distraught. Her husband had passed away suddenly. He handled their finances and important paperwork. He knew how important it was to protect that stuff so he used 1Password. His wife wasn’t a technical user and didn’t know how to use 1Password. She didn’t know his master password and she was writing to us to ask for help. It was one of the saddest moments for me having to tell her that without the master password, the data simply could not be recovered. (Yes, this could all have been a scam; I have no way to know. At least they didn’t pretend to be a Nigerian prince. But the story touched me and even though I wanted to help, the math said I couldn’t. We like stubborn math that doesn’t ask us about our opinion.)

Whenever we thought about situations like this, we really wanted to help make it better. But it wasn’t until we built the 1Password.com service that we were actually able to build a feature that can help. It’s called Account Recovery and it keeps you and people you trust in control while putting a safety net between your secrets and the concrete reality of the stubborn math that protects them.

There are a lot of other features and pain points that users have asked us to help with over the years as well. We always begin by focusing on customers and making the best 1Password that we can. What’s difficult or impossible right now? What do people not understand? How can we make this more accessible to the people that need it the most? How can we make it more obvious, automatic, and convenient to act securely?

Sometimes, it is hard to know when you’re holding on to a dysfunctional belief that you’re mistaking for a requirement. We’ve had a few dysfunctional beliefs over the years that we’ve fortunately been able to reframe and move on from. One we held for a long time said we should never hold any of your data. When we reframed that point as we should never hold any of your secrets, suddenly we realized that a properly designed hosted solution would allow us to create features that users had been asking of us for years. Things that seemed impossible were within the realm of possibility. And that’s when we started building the 1Password.com service, not a minute sooner. We built it because it needed to be built in order to reach more people with the best security design and user experience and help them safely protect the information that’s important to them.

5. Sad Balthasar
    Sad Balthasar says:

As a very sad customer I stopped using 1Password because of lack of WebDAV support. My passwords are indeed important to me and that’s why they should not leave my devices into some cloud (no matter how safe it reads, primarily it’s not in my home).

Hi Sad,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. We actually have a rich history when it comes to WebDAV syncing – it’s a fun story so I please give me a chance to share it. 🙂

Long ago in the times of MobileMe, I think it was 2008 or 2009, Roustem and I spent quite a long time getting WebDAV syncing working within 1Password. We had a working prototype that allowed 1Password to sync to MobileMe using WebDAV, and we were pretty smitten by it. Sure it was incredibly slow and hard to configure, but it was ground breaking back then and we figured we could polish it up and make it a feature within a future release of 1Password.

I was super excited about this and preannounced on our forums that support for WebDAV was coming. Over the coming year (years?) I learned it takes a great deal of effort to go from a working development prototype to a real product, and a long time passed before I had to throw in the towel and admit defeat. We just couldn’t make WebDAV perfomant enough to make it a viable option for 1Password and I had to eat my hat and appologize to our customers at the time for overpromising.

Not long after that, Steve Jobs stood up at WWDC and announced iCloud (it was on June 6, 2011, according to Google) and that MobileMe was a thing of the past. So we ended up dodging a bullet on that one.

Long story short, I learned a tough lesson that I should never talk about future features until they are completed and ready to go. As such it was quite hard for me to write this post and talk about 1Password 7 for Mac as we’re rather far away from shipping that. However, a lot of misinformation was being spread about what would or would not be available in version 7 so I needed to bend my rule and talk about an unreleased product.

With that said, I find your use case quite interesting. You are saying you want WebDAV so the data never leaves your machine. I’m guessing this means you are hosting your own WebDAV server at home and not in the cloud? How are you using this today to ensure you have access to your important passwords wherever you go? Just curious as it sounds like an incredible amount of work, and just like our WLAN Server feature, you’d have to constantly remember to sync your data before leaving the house.

Anyway, to each their own. As long as you’ve found a way to use strong, unique passwords for all your websites that works for you, more power to you. The most important part is that you stay safe out there and use a service that protects your privacy.

• Alex
      Alex says:

I haven’t stopped using 1Password but I am in a similar boat: I will not subscribe to Membership because of the huge problem of data security and sovereignty. At least to get my data hosted on my machines, I’d have to be personally targeted. One NSL-covered operation on AgileBits and a bit of sloppy evidence handling later, all your customers end up with compromised secrets. Not to mention that my data on your servers is considered “public knowledge” by US intelligence and law enforcement (not a citizen, therefore not protected).

I want to recommend 1Password to my friends, but the Windows version doesn’t support WiFi sync so that’s not going to happen any time soon.

It would be nice if teams could be supported by a stand-alone server, so that Government agencies and their contractors who need to verify data sovereignty can still use the “membership” style features of a shared vault storage, but that is probably one of those problems that is not easily solved without sysadmins who know platform security inside-out.

Thanks for chiming in, Alex. A “stand-alone server” would be a neat idea. Would you host your own instead of using WLAN Sync? Would you want to spend the time required to apply updates, database migrations, and backups?

Just curious. It’s a fair amount of work and it’s critical work that will leave you in a quandary if not done regularly. It is a neat idea tho.

• Gerald
      Gerald says:

Similar here. Interestingly enough, OmniFocus supports this model quite well (albeit for task lists): a simple WebDAV server such as OwnCloud or NextCloud and a basic VPN into my home are not exactly hard to run, but offer me the ability to put certain sensitive data on systems that I have physical control over.

• Hopeful Balthasar
      Hopeful Balthasar says:

Hi Dave,

I guess we all can agree with the fact that Apple was never able to do really great web services. Maybe in theory, but all the hassle in practice.

I am with Gerald above: It’s not a use case for the majority of your users, but for those who are but with a NAS at home (plus VPN and/or LetsEncrypt-SSL-certificates) it’s a bit of work, but easy enough to own a WebDAV server at home.

For this reason I had to switch to Enpass, which does its job while it’s way less user friendly than 1Password. But still, the sync between iOS, macOS and Win10 does work like a charm while being as unobtrusive as you would wish. All this with the peace of mind that there is no other device than the ones I own have a copy of my passwords.
      WebDAV works either with SSL or a VPN connection, depending on the network I am connected to.

Regarding Alex and the stand-alone server: “Would you want to spend the time required to apply updates, database migrations, and backups?” Yes, definitely!

• brenty
      brenty says:

Thanks for following up, Balthazar! I can’t promise that we’ll have a self-hosted option like that in the future, but it’s something we can consider. I’m sure you’ll appreciate that the vast majority of people won’t want to apply patches and database updates, but it’s good to know this is something you’d be interested in. Cheers! :)

• Mike
      Mike says:

I’m in the same boat as many in this thread. For a variety of complex reasons which I shall not enumerate I can not and will not use your subscription cloud model. However, I am a deeply technical user and would be very happy to have a on-premises 1password sync server (take my money already!) so if you do end up going this route you can count me as an alpha or beta tester.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Mike! Thanks for the feedback. For now, I hope your local vaults continue to serve you well, but we’ll keep your offer in mind depending on where the future takes us. 🙂

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Gerald, Mike, and hopefully still Hopeful Balthasar! I thought all of you here in this thread would like to kno we’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows with some news I’m sure you’ll be pretty stoked about. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

6. Ben Woodruff
    Ben Woodruff says:

I’ve been a team member here at AgileBits since 2008. I was originally hesitant about 1Password membership, and felt that we should continue to offer standalone licensing and local vaults side by side with memberships.

Then I started actually using one and I haven’t used a local vault since, beyond what I need to do for work. I have a 1Password Families membership I share with my parents, a 1Password Teams membership here at work, and also a 1Password Teams membership for the volunteer fire department I work with. The ability to easily share password has been huge. And if my parents or colleagues at the FD ever forget their passwords… I can help.

I still see the value in local vaults, and will continue to advocate for them, but for me 1Password membership has been a huge boon.

Ben

7. Brian Lowenthal
    Brian Lowenthal says:

Joining the AgileBits family was one of the best decisions I ever made. Being able to work on a product I use and love every day is an honor, and empowers me to help to make 1Password as best as it can be.

I used 1Password way before I joined, and applied for a job at AgileBits for one simple reason. I wanted to be a part of a company that cared as much about the product as the customers do. I could tell that this philosophy hasn’t changed since day one, and this post further proves this. I remember in my interview, Dave was talking to me about what kind of company AgileBits is, and I instantly knew that this is where I was meant to be.

Infusing 1Password with genuine, human goodness is one of the cornerstone foundations of the company. Being able to dazzle customers and make them happy is what gets me up every morning. Being at AgileBits for six months now, I can sincerely say that everything that we do is in the customer’s best interest, not for any financial reason. Confirming that one of the most worried-about features will be included further proves that.

Just remember that we always have the customers’ best interest in mind, and I’m happy that we were able to clear the air to show this to you. ❤️

8. Jacqui Tulley
    Jacqui Tulley says:

As someone who is doing just fine with the stand-alone, I am greatly pleased to hear a stand-alone will continue.

For me, I am using the WLAN to sync with my iPad and iPhone, and I literally share the vault in Bootcamp. It’s not that I don’t like the bells and whistles, but rather I literally have no personal use for them and adopting them would add complexity to my set up.

I know I am an outlier, but I am greatly pleased that those of us who find that the stand-alone that does everything we need (and more) will still be around is a spectacular relief.

Thank you for sharing with us, Jacqui! I’m glad I was able to put a smile on your face with this post. 🙂

You are indeed an outlier as most people don’t use WLAN Sync (we’re guessing it’s under 0.1%, but we don’t collect usage statistics so we’re honestly not sure exactly how many people share the same set up as you do), but that’s A-OK. As much as I want to be able to woo you over to 1Password memberships, the onus is on us to impress you and get you excited to switch! As you say we haven’t been able to do that just yet and time will tell if we’re able to in the future. Given what I know’s in store for the future I’m pretty sure we’ll be able to. 😉 Please be sure to check back in with if and when this ever happens.

Awesome! Thank you for sharing with us how you’re using 1Password. I’m happy to hear WLAN Sync is treating you well and that you’re enjoying it. 🙂

While I’d love to see you on a membership the most important thing is that you’re protected and are using strong, unique passwords on all your websites. If WLAN Sync works for you and gives you these super powers, more power to you. 😘

• Frank Binder
      Frank Binder says:

Jacqui, you may be an outlier, but you’re not alone. I’m also using a stand-alone vault and WLAN to sync my iPad and iPhone. And I know some friends using the same setup. So thumbs-up to the 1Password makers for your commitment to support stand-alone vaults in 1Password 7 for mac. @Dave: Does your commitment include WLAN sync also?

Thanks for chiming in, Frank. Yes, my commitment includes WLAN Sync as well. I have a hunch that will place a smile on your face, which makes me happy. 🙂 It’s a virtuous cycle. 😉

9. Michael Edwards
    Michael Edwards says:

I’ve been a 1Password user for many years. I really love the Family membership, it’s helped me get most of my family using strong passwords instead of iterating a number on the same pattern for every account (you know the weird strategies people use to make sadly insecure passwords they can remember).

Two years ago my dad passed away suddenly, and one of the small things you get to deal with is the digital life of a loved one who has passed. 1Password for Families made it possible for me to manage the insane number of online accounts my father had, grant access to family members, while making sure they were all secure and in our control.

Beyond the “security” aspect, it became so much easier from a convenience factor: my mom never has to ask me with a text message or email for how to log in – she already has access, and it stays up to date for anything I need to reset!

Game changer.

I love the peace of mind knowing that my vault isn’t sitting on Dropbox who has dubious security and privacy practices.

Keep up the great work, Agilebits!

From a happy 1Password customer,

~Mike

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me, Mike! I really appreciate it.

I’m very sorry to hear about your dad. We all have similar worries and I know I feel sick to my stomach every time I think of something bad besetting my dad or my mom. I’m one of the lucky ones and still have both my parents and am thankful for that everyday. Still, I know we’re not quite at the point of Ray Kurzweil’s singularity just yet so I need to be have plans in place when the time comes. I hope I can use your story to help get them both excited about using 1Password. Yes, I have the confession to make that after 10+ years, neither of my parents have jumped onto the 1Password bandwagon yet. They both thing they have nothing they need to protect, but with any luck, sharing your story with them will motivate them to join my 1Password Families account. I have things created for them already of course – I just need them to use it. Fingers crossed!

Thank you again!

Love a happy 1Password maker,

10. Connor Hicks
    Connor Hicks says:

I had a really great experience a few weeks back with someone I met at a local programming meetup in Ottawa. I gave a talk about 1Password and some of our internal best practices, and afterwards a gentleman named Daniel came up to me and asked how much work it would be to get himself set up with 1Password. In years past I would’ve had to explain the multitude of steps to get his vault created, put in a place that would sync to his other devices, buy the Pro features on all his devices, and set up sync in 1Password. In my head I smiled, and just told him: sign up on 1Password.com, then scan the Account Code on each of your devices. He went over to his laptop, and came back 10 minutes later waving his iPhone saying “All done!”. I loved this because not only did I not need to help him over his shoulder, I didn’t even need to give step by step instructions. It’s things like this that make 1Password.com memberships so great for almost everyone. The less friction it takes to set up and use it, the more people will be able to reap the benefits for their personal security. I stand by what I said to Lorenzo for this Motherboard article, a 1Password membership is absolutely the best way for 99.9% of people to use 1Password, but for those who need it, local vaults will still be there for them.