Why We Love 1Password Memberships

TL;DR: We love 1Password. We love you. We believe 1Password memberships are the best and will shout it from the mountaintops, but standalone vaults aren’t being removed.

Recently a customer wrote in to praise us for handling a sticky situation with a quick and decisive response. They signed off their post with “from a happy customer”.

Jeff, our resident Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts, replied and signed his message with “from a happy 1Password maker”.

This was really cute and I loved the play on words. It also got me thinking though: we really are happy 1Password makers.

From a happy 1Password maker

Jeff’s phrase is similar to a statement that I tell our team often and expound upon during interviews: we all need to be working at our dream jobs. So I really shouldn’t be surprised by Jeff’s signature. But it stuck with me as I adored its simplicity.

Quick and to the point. And at the same time, a revelation. I absolutely loved it.

1Password is what it is today because we all love working here and have fun helping our customers. We are completely self-funded, independent, have turned down all offers from venture capitalists, and our board of directors consists entirely of people who work on 1Password and help customers directly each and every day.

As a result we’re able to provide true security and never compromise on protecting the privacy of our customers. We don’t have to and never will sell your information or spam you with ads.

The bottom line is we have a complete focus on 1Password and since we’re working on stuff we love, we’re excited and have the desire to constantly improve and make 1Password the best it can be. We’re happy to be able to do this.

Happy 1Password memberships

How is happiness related to 1Password memberships? Simple. We created 1Password memberships to make 1Password the best it can be. And a direct result of 1Password memberships is happier 1Password makers and customers alike.

I am so much happier now that 1Password has the power of memberships to help me help our customers. With memberships, there are several things that I no longer need to do, and as a direct result I have more time to improve 1Password and help more customers.

With 1Password memberships we have a wonderful set of things we no longer need to do. I call it my No More list and here are just the highlights:

No More telling people who had syncing misconfigured (or didn’t realize that syncing needed to be manually configured) that I’m sorry they lost their data when they reset their phone. With 1Password memberships, all your data is synced automatically when you sign in, so there’s nothing to set up or worry about configuring wrong.

No More telling people that I’m sorry that when they deleted some files from their hard drive they didn’t recognize they inadvertently deleted all their 1Password data. With 1Password memberships, everyone enjoys data loss protection that ensures this can never happen.

No More explaining that we don’t have any control or visibility into third-party sync solutions and are therefore limited when troubleshooting problems. With 1Password memberships, we are in complete control of both sides of the connection so we’re able to optimize things, quickly troubleshoot, and improve immediately when a problem is found. All this results in a rock solid solution that results in an entire category of issues no longer affecting our customers.

No More explaining why purchasing 1Password on one platform doesn’t automatically unlock it on all other platforms. Not only is it really hard for customers to understand that 1Password is “licensed per person, per platform, with paid upgrades”, but it’s an incredible mouthful for us to even say. With 1Password memberships, you simply subscribe once and you get access to 1Password everywhere.

No More needing to hold back on features for creating a “big splash” for major upgrades. These require purchasing a license upgrade and so it’s important that we save up features (often for a year or more) so we can woo customers to open up their wallets. With 1Password memberships, we can give people new features as soon as they are available so they can enjoy them right away. See Travel Mode and 1Password for Slackers for examples of this.

I wish I could also say No More for explaining to people who have forgotten their Master Password that 1Password uses true security and they therefore need to start over. But with 1Password memberships I can at least share the good news that families and teams can use Account Recovery to restore their own access.

And with the time we save from not needing to do these things, we’ll be able to improve 1Password itself to make it easier for customers to remember their Master Passwords. So perhaps someday soon this will indeed end up on my No More list.

Nudging people towards 1Password memberships

Now of course not everyone is on 1Password memberships yet, so we do indeed still work through these issues every day. So it’s not truly a No More list. At least not yet. Still, the number of people on memberships continues to grow every day, so we’re quickly seeing more and more of these bright spots as we move throughout our day.

All these bright spots add up to an even happier set of 1Password makers. And that’s as important for you as it is for us, because the happier a 1Password maker is, the better they’ll be able to widen the smiles of 1Password customers everywhere. Nothing great was ever created without passion, and this is just as true for designing and developing software as it is for customer support. I’m really excited about this and hope that someday 100% of our customers will embrace 1Password memberships.

Now the thing is, I know it’s not realistic to expect everyone to be able to be able to join one of our memberships at this time. As great as 1Password memberships are, I know that our excitement for them can cause some people to become worried. After all, many have corporate policies or regional restrictions that prevent them from using a hosted solution like ours, and so they’re understandably concerned and want to know that there’s a future for them with 1Password.

These worries are compounded by the fact that 1Password 6 for Windows was designed from the ground up to support 1Password Teams customers only (and then later expanded to include family and individual plans), and we are unsure how this adventure will play out on the Windows side of the world, so we haven’t made any public announcements about when support for standalone vaults will be added, if ever. Many Mac users worry that the same fate awaits 1Password 6 for Mac, and that we will remove support for local vaults and force them to pay again.

This isn’t going to happen. First, it would be evil to take away something you’ve already paid for. And evil doesn’t make for a Happy 1Password Customer, which is the cornerstone for a Happy 1Password Maker. It’s simply not who we are.

For those who purchased 1Password 6 for Mac already, you’re perfectly fine the way you are and can continue rocking 1Password the way you have been. There’s no requirement to change anything as we will not be removing features or forcing you to subscribe. In fact we’re still selling licenses of 1Password 6 for Mac for those that really need them (you can find them today on the setup screen under More Options).

And you need not worry about 1Password 7 for Mac, either, as it will continue to support standalone vaults just like version 6 does today.

We know that not everyone is ready to make the jump yet, and as such, we will continue to support customers who are managing their own standalone vaults. 1Password 6 and even 1Password 7 will continue to support standalone vaults. But 1Password memberships are indeed awesome and are the best way to use 1Password, and as such, I am going to continue to nudge you over when ever I can 🙂

Love Dave,
A Happy 1Password Maker ❤️ 🇨🇦

P. S. Please don’t think our excitement for memberships has anything to do with money. We’re completely self-funded so we don’t have any investors forcing us to make changes by looking solely at our bottom line. We were doing just fine selling individual licenses and AgileBits was already steadily growing before 1Password Teams was even introduced. We created 1Password Memberships because we had a vision for how 1Password could be even better and we followed our dreams. The result has been stupendously awesome and better than our wildest dreams! Today, over 95% of our revenues are coming from subscribers, which is truly mind blowing. Many investment strategists would say it makes sense to simply drop support for everything else and focus on the money. That’s not how we do things around here. We focus on people, love, and happiness. It’s the way we do things and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

P. P. S. You can create a 1Password membership and move all your existing data over today in just a few minutes. Learn more here. Like I said, I’m going to continue to non-apologetically nudge you over whenever I can 😉

1. Jeff Shiner
    Jeff Shiner says:

I remember back about three years ago when we first started designing what would eventually become our 1Password memberships. I was out at NSNorth having dinner and talking with a group of folks who used 1Password but were struggling to effectively share credentials within their team.

Roustem, Dave and I missed most of the rest of that conference as we were incredibly excited to put our thoughts together on how to best solve this problem. By the end of the week we had a high-level plan on what we wanted 1Password Teams to be. A year and a half later we launched the beta for 1Password Teams, followed by the corresponding family and individual memberships.

It’s been tremendously exciting and rewarding to see what we’ve been able to accomplish. I truly believe that 1Password memberships make 1Password the best it can be.

This would never have been possible a few years ago in part because our team was simply too small. But with a growing team we were able to continue to have separate development teams for our 1Password apps while building our Go based 1Password service. I mention Go because I am currently in Denver at GopherCon missing yet another conference. :)

I mention the size of our team because it was our license customers that allowed us to grow to this size. When I read the various posts spreading about I am most saddened by the suggestions that we are abandoning these customers to run after the money.

When I first came to AgileBits five years ago, all Dave and Roustem talked about were our customers. I was coming from companies, even good companies, but they always wanted to turn the discussion to money. I can’t tell you how refreshing this focus on customers has been.

So for me the most exciting part of Dave’s announcement here is that he’s still the same Dave that drew me to AgileBits in the first place.

I do love our 1Password memberships and use them at both work and with my family. I’d love for everyone to give them a try but will happily continue to support you if you don’t.

• Alex
      Alex says:

“When I read the various posts spreading about I am most saddened by the suggestions that we are abandoning these customers to run after the money.”

It may be that AgileBits is not doing this just for the money. Nevertheless, AgileBits’ behavior is identical to what we would expect if they were doing a money grab. It’s a good thing AgileBits is writing so many blog posts and comments about how it’s not a money-grab! Otherwise we might be forced to judge the company by its actions.

It’s like the playground bully saying “This is for your own good!” while punching me. Useful piece of information, that! Yet a little funny how I just happen to get the same colored bruises whether or not the bully thinks it’s good for me…

“I can’t tell you how refreshing this focus on customers has been.”

It sounds to me like you’re expanding to new, different customers. Does this influx of money mean you’re going to start working on non-cloud features and bug fixes?

I’ve reported many bugs and feature requests in the AB forums, over the years, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single one acted upon. Eventually I gave up asking for anything to be improved, because the support channels seemed more interested in trying to convince me it wasn’t a problem, than they were with fixing it.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Alex! I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and I hope you don’t mind my jumping in for Jeff while he’s traveling this week.

I’d argue we’re doing at least one thing directly at odds with a money grab – continuing to sell standalone licenses. Dave mentioned to one of the many folks in the media that contacted us about this recently that going subscription-only would be easier on us, but we still haven’t done it yet. We may one day, but we have no plans to do so any time soon and that day certainly is not today.

It sounds to me like you’re expanding to new, different customers.

We are, but this doesn’t need to be at odds with continuing to serve our existing customers. It would be sad, indeed, if reaching new users meant we had to abandon those already with us. We do think a 1Password membership is the best option for most of our customers, but we don’t want to bully you into one. If you’re happy using 1Password as you have been, keep on keeping on. We use 1Password ourselves, but we built it for you and we’d not be where we are today without your support.

This really bothers me. I spend the vast majority of my time supporting customers and, while I have had to apologize and tell folks we can’t fix a particular issue or add a specific feature, I always try to explain why when I can and I hate to hear that you feel your concerns were ignored. I just shot you an e-mail and, if you’re up for it, I’d love to rehash your concerns and see if we can do anything about them now. I’m sorry we left the impression that we’re not interested in helping you out and I’d love the opportunity to make it up to you. Shoot me a reply when you have the time and I’ll personally make sure it gets the attention it deserves. 🙂

• Ed
      Ed says:

I would argue that the type of customer that needs to share passwords amongst many people within a family or within an organization is different from the type customer that would like to or needs to manage their own password vaults. I don’t see the logic in treating everybody the same. I’ve paid for a bunch of licenses on iOS Mac etc. and I’d happily buy more. I won’t be paying subscriptions however, and I’ll manage my vaults myself. Spend a little extra time to price and offer a product that allows the people who like to or need to manage their own vaults and you can make everybody happy. You don’t have to alienate what are the customers that built 1passwords base to embrace new customers with new needs.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Ed! I think you hit the nail right on the head. 1Password memberships and standalone vaults have existed side-by-side for quite a while already. That hasn’t changed and we have no plans to do things differently moving forward. You’re welcome to buy additional licenses as needed, purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Mac when the time comes and continue to use standalone vaults. If, later on, you decide a 1Password memberships fits your needs, make the switch. If not, keep on keeping out and we’ll be here to help if and when you need it. 🙂

• Johnny A.
      Johnny A. says:

As a 1Password user since the early days in 2006, I will never subscribe, and I hope that you decide to sell both standalone and subscription forever. Here’s why:

Subscriptions can sell on their own merits (super easy sync, secure vault sharing in teams/families, automatic backups, item history, off-site data loss protection, etc). Furthermore, you are completely within your rights to begin adding some frivolous extra non-essential features that only work if signed into the app with an 1Password account, in order to further entice people.

But whatever you do, you do not have the moral right to neuter the offline-online, standalone product many silent professionals know and love: Local vaults and local sync.

And standalone licenses really should come to Windows too. For those who need it. I’ve been waiting for that ever since work began on 1Password 6 for Windows.

Please take this high road. It doesn’t have to be some scummy “either/or” between subscriptions and standalone. It can be both, with each selling on their own merits, where subscriptions is basically everything from standalone + extra features! That’s a perfect harmony. And it’s the exact same codebase! :-)

You’re known for being really great people and one of the most lovable companies in the software industry. I hope it stays that way, and I hope you understand why you’re worrying people, after so many other once-great companies took the low road…

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Johnny A.! You’re effectively telling us to keep doing what we’re already doing.😉 1Passowrd memberships have been around for over a year now, starting with 1Password Teams in June 2016. Standalone vaults and licenses have continued to exist right alongside them. No either/or here. I’ve been talking about this for so long, I’ve actually lost track of the initial catalyst for the more significant resurgence in the perception that standalone vaults are going away, but the reality is that little has changed in the past year. We do understand why folks are worried, but despite that fear, I think most are happy with the current state of things – they’re just worried about the future. We’re happy to do just as you suggest and keep on keeping on. 🙂

As for 1Password 6 for Windows, I’m sure you’ve heard it all before since you’ve been waiting this long, so I’ll (try to) keep it short. As Dave mentioned, we developed 1Password 6 for Windows so that those who choose a 1Password membership had an app to use on Windows. It was built entirely from scratch, so we still have some work to do to make it the app we feel our 1Password membership customers truly deserve. The unpredictable nature of development and the long to-do list does mean we’re not sure if standalone vaults will make it into 1Password 6 for Windows. We hope they do, but at this point it’s just hope. We don’t want to make promises we can’t keep.

I know that’s not what you want to hear, but I think part of being great people is being honest with our customers. It sounds like that’s something you appreciate, so I hope you take these statements as they’re intended – an effort to take that moral high road, even if that means some folks are going to be grumpy with us for a bit. After all, part of taking that high road is also taking your licks when you make a decision that’s unpopular with some, rather than hiding behind half-truths. We’re more than willing to accept those licks in order to keep being our honest, (hopefully) lovable selves.❤️ 😉

• Johnny A
      Johnny A says:

Kate, thank you for reassuring me that you’re taking the high road. I guess you’re still the company I know and love! :-)

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

I’m glad to hear you’re reassured. The high road can be tough at times, but the view is nice from up here and the low road is full of jerks, so we like to stick to it. 😉

2. Michael Fey
    Michael Fey says:

As a happy 1Password maker myself there is so much in this post that rings true. One of the biggest design and development balancing acts we’ve had to perform since the inception of 1Password.com accounts has been the tightrope walk between supporting our existing customers with their standalone vault setups and guiding new customers into the bright new world that is a 1Password.com account. The sheer number of iterations that we went through on the very first screen that 1Password shows is staggering – and still we look at ways to improve it. Supporting 1Password.com accounts and standalone vaults goes deeper than just that first screen, though. 1Password.com was built from the ground up with a brand new architecture that had to live alongside the standalone architecture. This was something that created an entirely new set of challenges. From the types of items we show in the user interface all the way down to the way we decrypt your vaults, we had to make it work seamlessly. We essentially had to write an entirely new version of 1Password right within the existing version and do it in such a way that non-1Password.com customers weren’t impacted.

Why spend so much time on this? Because it’s the right thing to do. I love our customers. You’re the reason I get to show up to work every day and improve on this product that I love, too.

Speaking of love, I wanted to also take a minute to talk about why I love 1Password.com accounts so much. As a developer I am constantly tearing down my devices and setting them up again – especially my 1Password installations. One of the most recent features we added to 1Password.com accounts makes this process essentially painless. We store your account details securely in your iCloud Keychain which means that setting up my 1Password.com accounts from scratch only requires my Master Password. Since syncing happens seamlessly, automatically, and almost instantaneously all of my items are right there, ready to go, right away. It’s amazing.

3. Sara Teare
    Sara Teare says:

I wanted to chime in and add my 2 cents, especially since one of my roles here is managing all finances, making sure the lights stay on, and the team members (over 80 now!) get paid. I see a lot of comments about how the membership is a money grab and I want to assure you that it’s not. It’s a different way for new users to start using 1Password.

Our older model with a single license would invariably lead a new customer to the question of why there was a need to buy it again, when adding a different platform. We didn’t have the option to put it all together in an easy package for people until now.

Having both purchase options on our site at the same time cause SO MUCH confusion for new customers, which leads to increases in support, as we helped customers sort out what it was they were really trying to purchase.

We’ve found that a greater number of customers want an easy set up, no-muss-no-fuss experience where they have access to things like easy sharing and account managers for data recovery when someone forgets their master password. So while we changed how we focused our sales – again, for new customers – it hasn’t changed our products that existing users have.

We’ve gone a long time without a paid upgrade, which I think leads to the “buy it once, own ALL versions forever” thinking, which isn’t the case. It’s been over 4 years since we’ve had a paid upgrade. That’s not sustainable either, which is why the next version will be a paid upgrade. I’m sure the next questions will be when? And how much? We don’t know that yet, as we focus on building things for today and continue to hope that our history of sharing information as soon as we can, and being fair with discounts, is what our customers remember.

When that day comes, customers will have three choices – 1) do nothing and keep using their existing software; 2) purchase the license upgrade for their device or 3) switch over to the new membership. It’s your choice.

And no matter your choice, we will continue to be here. I’ve been keeping the lights on for 12 years now, and thanks to customers who join 1Password everyday, we’ll keep the lights on for many years to come!!

With that, I wanted to add a final note of thanks to the people we’ve been hearing from, both with positive stories and those with concerns. Somedays I find it hard to see the bright side, and I’m truly grateful that we have a community of people who care about what we do and are willing to engage and challenge us to do better. Thank you!!

• Jon Alper
      Jon Alper says:

You can count on me for a paid upgrade without a blink of hesitation. Ideally a ‘family’ license for which I’d pay more since I use several Macs PLUS an iOS license.

I put enormous value on the stand alone app and LAN sync. It’s why I chose to pay for 1Password over the FREE-for-employees license I can get through work for a competing (allegedly) product.

Please, don’t under-estimate the value of the perpetually licensed product for a certain segment of your customer base who probably have lower support costs that may be harder to measure because these customers go silent for years at a time.

4. Jamie Phelps
    Jamie Phelps says:

I started at AgileBits over eight years ago helping customers full time when our dedicated support team was 3 people and an inbox with 53 total messages sent Dave over the edge—especially when our IRC chatbot reminded Dave that we needed to focus on 1Password 3 above all else. (It still gets a chuckle when I trot out that screenshot.)

I remember fielding a request once from a woman who was asking for our help. She was distraught. Her husband had passed away suddenly. He handled their finances and important paperwork. He knew how important it was to protect that stuff so he used 1Password. His wife wasn’t a technical user and didn’t know how to use 1Password. She didn’t know his master password and she was writing to us to ask for help. It was one of the saddest moments for me having to tell her that without the master password, the data simply could not be recovered. (Yes, this could all have been a scam; I have no way to know. At least they didn’t pretend to be a Nigerian prince. But the story touched me and even though I wanted to help, the math said I couldn’t. We like stubborn math that doesn’t ask us about our opinion.)

Whenever we thought about situations like this, we really wanted to help make it better. But it wasn’t until we built the 1Password.com service that we were actually able to build a feature that can help. It’s called Account Recovery and it keeps you and people you trust in control while putting a safety net between your secrets and the concrete reality of the stubborn math that protects them.

There are a lot of other features and pain points that users have asked us to help with over the years as well. We always begin by focusing on customers and making the best 1Password that we can. What’s difficult or impossible right now? What do people not understand? How can we make this more accessible to the people that need it the most? How can we make it more obvious, automatic, and convenient to act securely?

Sometimes, it is hard to know when you’re holding on to a dysfunctional belief that you’re mistaking for a requirement. We’ve had a few dysfunctional beliefs over the years that we’ve fortunately been able to reframe and move on from. One we held for a long time said we should never hold any of your data. When we reframed that point as we should never hold any of your secrets, suddenly we realized that a properly designed hosted solution would allow us to create features that users had been asking of us for years. Things that seemed impossible were within the realm of possibility. And that’s when we started building the 1Password.com service, not a minute sooner. We built it because it needed to be built in order to reach more people with the best security design and user experience and help them safely protect the information that’s important to them.

5. Sad Balthasar
    Sad Balthasar says:

As a very sad customer I stopped using 1Password because of lack of WebDAV support. My passwords are indeed important to me and that’s why they should not leave my devices into some cloud (no matter how safe it reads, primarily it’s not in my home).

Hi Sad,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. We actually have a rich history when it comes to WebDAV syncing – it’s a fun story so I please give me a chance to share it. 🙂

Long ago in the times of MobileMe, I think it was 2008 or 2009, Roustem and I spent quite a long time getting WebDAV syncing working within 1Password. We had a working prototype that allowed 1Password to sync to MobileMe using WebDAV, and we were pretty smitten by it. Sure it was incredibly slow and hard to configure, but it was ground breaking back then and we figured we could polish it up and make it a feature within a future release of 1Password.

I was super excited about this and preannounced on our forums that support for WebDAV was coming. Over the coming year (years?) I learned it takes a great deal of effort to go from a working development prototype to a real product, and a long time passed before I had to throw in the towel and admit defeat. We just couldn’t make WebDAV perfomant enough to make it a viable option for 1Password and I had to eat my hat and appologize to our customers at the time for overpromising.

Not long after that, Steve Jobs stood up at WWDC and announced iCloud (it was on June 6, 2011, according to Google) and that MobileMe was a thing of the past. So we ended up dodging a bullet on that one.

Long story short, I learned a tough lesson that I should never talk about future features until they are completed and ready to go. As such it was quite hard for me to write this post and talk about 1Password 7 for Mac as we’re rather far away from shipping that. However, a lot of misinformation was being spread about what would or would not be available in version 7 so I needed to bend my rule and talk about an unreleased product.

With that said, I find your use case quite interesting. You are saying you want WebDAV so the data never leaves your machine. I’m guessing this means you are hosting your own WebDAV server at home and not in the cloud? How are you using this today to ensure you have access to your important passwords wherever you go? Just curious as it sounds like an incredible amount of work, and just like our WLAN Server feature, you’d have to constantly remember to sync your data before leaving the house.

Anyway, to each their own. As long as you’ve found a way to use strong, unique passwords for all your websites that works for you, more power to you. The most important part is that you stay safe out there and use a service that protects your privacy.

• Alex
      Alex says:

I haven’t stopped using 1Password but I am in a similar boat: I will not subscribe to Membership because of the huge problem of data security and sovereignty. At least to get my data hosted on my machines, I’d have to be personally targeted. One NSL-covered operation on AgileBits and a bit of sloppy evidence handling later, all your customers end up with compromised secrets. Not to mention that my data on your servers is considered “public knowledge” by US intelligence and law enforcement (not a citizen, therefore not protected).

I want to recommend 1Password to my friends, but the Windows version doesn’t support WiFi sync so that’s not going to happen any time soon.

It would be nice if teams could be supported by a stand-alone server, so that Government agencies and their contractors who need to verify data sovereignty can still use the “membership” style features of a shared vault storage, but that is probably one of those problems that is not easily solved without sysadmins who know platform security inside-out.

Thanks for chiming in, Alex. A “stand-alone server” would be a neat idea. Would you host your own instead of using WLAN Sync? Would you want to spend the time required to apply updates, database migrations, and backups?

Just curious. It’s a fair amount of work and it’s critical work that will leave you in a quandary if not done regularly. It is a neat idea tho.

• Gerald
      Gerald says:

Similar here. Interestingly enough, OmniFocus supports this model quite well (albeit for task lists): a simple WebDAV server such as OwnCloud or NextCloud and a basic VPN into my home are not exactly hard to run, but offer me the ability to put certain sensitive data on systems that I have physical control over.

• Hopeful Balthasar
      Hopeful Balthasar says:

Hi Dave,

I guess we all can agree with the fact that Apple was never able to do really great web services. Maybe in theory, but all the hassle in practice.

I am with Gerald above: It’s not a use case for the majority of your users, but for those who are but with a NAS at home (plus VPN and/or LetsEncrypt-SSL-certificates) it’s a bit of work, but easy enough to own a WebDAV server at home.

For this reason I had to switch to Enpass, which does its job while it’s way less user friendly than 1Password. But still, the sync between iOS, macOS and Win10 does work like a charm while being as unobtrusive as you would wish. All this with the peace of mind that there is no other device than the ones I own have a copy of my passwords.
      WebDAV works either with SSL or a VPN connection, depending on the network I am connected to.

Regarding Alex and the stand-alone server: “Would you want to spend the time required to apply updates, database migrations, and backups?” Yes, definitely!

• brenty
      brenty says:

Thanks for following up, Balthazar! I can’t promise that we’ll have a self-hosted option like that in the future, but it’s something we can consider. I’m sure you’ll appreciate that the vast majority of people won’t want to apply patches and database updates, but it’s good to know this is something you’d be interested in. Cheers! :)

• Mike
      Mike says:

I’m in the same boat as many in this thread. For a variety of complex reasons which I shall not enumerate I can not and will not use your subscription cloud model. However, I am a deeply technical user and would be very happy to have a on-premises 1password sync server (take my money already!) so if you do end up going this route you can count me as an alpha or beta tester.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Mike! Thanks for the feedback. For now, I hope your local vaults continue to serve you well, but we’ll keep your offer in mind depending on where the future takes us. 🙂

6. Ben Woodruff
    Ben Woodruff says:

I’ve been a team member here at AgileBits since 2008. I was originally hesitant about 1Password membership, and felt that we should continue to offer standalone licensing and local vaults side by side with memberships.

Then I started actually using one and I haven’t used a local vault since, beyond what I need to do for work. I have a 1Password Families membership I share with my parents, a 1Password Teams membership here at work, and also a 1Password Teams membership for the volunteer fire department I work with. The ability to easily share password has been huge. And if my parents or colleagues at the FD ever forget their passwords… I can help.

I still see the value in local vaults, and will continue to advocate for them, but for me 1Password membership has been a huge boon.

Ben

7. Brian Lowenthal
    Brian Lowenthal says:

Joining the AgileBits family was one of the best decisions I ever made. Being able to work on a product I use and love every day is an honor, and empowers me to help to make 1Password as best as it can be.

I used 1Password way before I joined, and applied for a job at AgileBits for one simple reason. I wanted to be a part of a company that cared as much about the product as the customers do. I could tell that this philosophy hasn’t changed since day one, and this post further proves this. I remember in my interview, Dave was talking to me about what kind of company AgileBits is, and I instantly knew that this is where I was meant to be.

Infusing 1Password with genuine, human goodness is one of the cornerstone foundations of the company. Being able to dazzle customers and make them happy is what gets me up every morning. Being at AgileBits for six months now, I can sincerely say that everything that we do is in the customer’s best interest, not for any financial reason. Confirming that one of the most worried-about features will be included further proves that.

Just remember that we always have the customers’ best interest in mind, and I’m happy that we were able to clear the air to show this to you. ❤️

8. Jacqui Tulley
    Jacqui Tulley says:

As someone who is doing just fine with the stand-alone, I am greatly pleased to hear a stand-alone will continue.

For me, I am using the WLAN to sync with my iPad and iPhone, and I literally share the vault in Bootcamp. It’s not that I don’t like the bells and whistles, but rather I literally have no personal use for them and adopting them would add complexity to my set up.

I know I am an outlier, but I am greatly pleased that those of us who find that the stand-alone that does everything we need (and more) will still be around is a spectacular relief.

Thank you for sharing with us, Jacqui! I’m glad I was able to put a smile on your face with this post. 🙂

You are indeed an outlier as most people don’t use WLAN Sync (we’re guessing it’s under 0.1%, but we don’t collect usage statistics so we’re honestly not sure exactly how many people share the same set up as you do), but that’s A-OK. As much as I want to be able to woo you over to 1Password memberships, the onus is on us to impress you and get you excited to switch! As you say we haven’t been able to do that just yet and time will tell if we’re able to in the future. Given what I know’s in store for the future I’m pretty sure we’ll be able to. 😉 Please be sure to check back in with if and when this ever happens.

Awesome! Thank you for sharing with us how you’re using 1Password. I’m happy to hear WLAN Sync is treating you well and that you’re enjoying it. 🙂

While I’d love to see you on a membership the most important thing is that you’re protected and are using strong, unique passwords on all your websites. If WLAN Sync works for you and gives you these super powers, more power to you. 😘

• Frank Binder
      Frank Binder says:

Jacqui, you may be an outlier, but you’re not alone. I’m also using a stand-alone vault and WLAN to sync my iPad and iPhone. And I know some friends using the same setup. So thumbs-up to the 1Password makers for your commitment to support stand-alone vaults in 1Password 7 for mac. @Dave: Does your commitment include WLAN sync also?

Thanks for chiming in, Frank. Yes, my commitment includes WLAN Sync as well. I have a hunch that will place a smile on your face, which makes me happy. 🙂 It’s a virtuous cycle. 😉

9. Michael Edwards
    Michael Edwards says:

I’ve been a 1Password user for many years. I really love the Family membership, it’s helped me get most of my family using strong passwords instead of iterating a number on the same pattern for every account (you know the weird strategies people use to make sadly insecure passwords they can remember).

Two years ago my dad passed away suddenly, and one of the small things you get to deal with is the digital life of a loved one who has passed. 1Password for Families made it possible for me to manage the insane number of online accounts my father had, grant access to family members, while making sure they were all secure and in our control.

Beyond the “security” aspect, it became so much easier from a convenience factor: my mom never has to ask me with a text message or email for how to log in – she already has access, and it stays up to date for anything I need to reset!

Game changer.

I love the peace of mind knowing that my vault isn’t sitting on Dropbox who has dubious security and privacy practices.

Keep up the great work, Agilebits!

From a happy 1Password customer,

~Mike

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me, Mike! I really appreciate it.

I’m very sorry to hear about your dad. We all have similar worries and I know I feel sick to my stomach every time I think of something bad besetting my dad or my mom. I’m one of the lucky ones and still have both my parents and am thankful for that everyday. Still, I know we’re not quite at the point of Ray Kurzweil’s singularity just yet so I need to be have plans in place when the time comes. I hope I can use your story to help get them both excited about using 1Password. Yes, I have the confession to make that after 10+ years, neither of my parents have jumped onto the 1Password bandwagon yet. They both thing they have nothing they need to protect, but with any luck, sharing your story with them will motivate them to join my 1Password Families account. I have things created for them already of course – I just need them to use it. Fingers crossed!

Thank you again!

Love a happy 1Password maker,

10. Connor Hicks
    Connor Hicks says:

I had a really great experience a few weeks back with someone I met at a local programming meetup in Ottawa. I gave a talk about 1Password and some of our internal best practices, and afterwards a gentleman named Daniel came up to me and asked how much work it would be to get himself set up with 1Password. In years past I would’ve had to explain the multitude of steps to get his vault created, put in a place that would sync to his other devices, buy the Pro features on all his devices, and set up sync in 1Password. In my head I smiled, and just told him: sign up on 1Password.com, then scan the Account Code on each of your devices. He went over to his laptop, and came back 10 minutes later waving his iPhone saying “All done!”. I loved this because not only did I not need to help him over his shoulder, I didn’t even need to give step by step instructions. It’s things like this that make 1Password.com memberships so great for almost everyone. The less friction it takes to set up and use it, the more people will be able to reap the benefits for their personal security. I stand by what I said to Lorenzo for this Motherboard article, a 1Password membership is absolutely the best way for 99.9% of people to use 1Password, but for those who need it, local vaults will still be there for them.

11. Max Siegel
    Max Siegel says:

I started off as a longtime 1Password customer who synced via Dropbox. It worked fine (and still works fine, should I ever choose to return to it). And I have to confess, I was initially hesitant to convert to a 1Password membership.

And then the password situation became dire for my parents. They needed some kind of service that would allow them to easily share each other’s most important logins.

1Password Families put my parents’ security back in their hands. My mom, who does not describe herself as a techy person, has become a die-hard proponent of changing insecure passwords using 1Password. This activity that was once a tedious chore became fun.

Their experience, plus the open documentation about 1Password’s security model, prompted me to make the switch… and to get the rest of my family on board, too. 😊

12. Tony
    Tony says:

If you really want to make us happy, and it’s really not about the money, then how about ditching the dollar-a-month surcharge for paying monthly instead of annually? The people who can least afford to switch to memberships are the ones being penalized the most by this surcharge.

And whatever happened to the 6-month free trial? Was that for early adopters only?

Hi Tony,

Thanks for reaching out and saying hi 👋

I never really thought of the monthly price as having a surcharge and always looked at it the opposite way that paying yearly got you a discount. With monthly payments we have to pay more expenses due to payment processing fees and we’re happy to pass these savings along to customers when they purchase annually. In fact we’re looking at extending this further to allow for purchasing multiple years at once and will have an even deeper discount for those.

As for the money, at the end of the day we have over 80 people working here and my accountant and fellow board member (aka my wife Sara) does poke me and Roustem and Shiner from time to time to make sure we do a few things to keep the lights on and everyone paid. We think our monthly price is quite reasonable and of course the yearly one even more so. My comment about money was more to squash some of the tweets I’ve been seeing where people assumed our investors would force our hands regardless of what we wanted to do. You see similar things happen all the time with companies that take a lot of venture capital money. So I decided to take this opportunity to remind folks that we’re completely self funded and don’t need to worry about keeping a few suits happy. Board meetings are never that fun, and even less so when not everyone’s interests are aligned. I’ve very happy not to have that problem 🙂

Regarding the 6-month free trial, we introduced that with the launch of our individual 1Password memberships as a way to say thank you to our existing users. We didn’t have the resources to write all the code that was required to allow you to “trade in” your existing license and so we instead gave all new signups a full 6 months free trial.

In the spirit of this blog post and given you clearly missed the original sale yet are obviously a long-term supporter, I’ll resurrect a promo that gives 6 months free when creating an individual or family family account. Simply use this link while signing up and you’ll get your extended trial:

I hope that helps and I hope that you enjoy your new 1Password membership! ❤️

• Tony
      Tony says:

I stand by calling it a surcharge. At $36/yr I can almost justify the cost since that might represent a yearly upgrade charge, although it’s borderline expensive even at that price. But paying monthly adds up to $48/yr. For me, that’s a deal breaker because it’s more than I consider 1Password to be worth. I completely understand it might be the right price for many of your customers, but not for me.

I appreciate the link to the 6-month deal. However, I already signed up for the 1-month trial and honestly I see no added benefit. Everything works just like it did before. The only extras are the “Pro” features on the Android version which I don’t really need. So I will stick with my 1Password 6 license for now. Thanks.

• Matt Butch
      Matt Butch says:

@Dave

Thank you for the 6 month trial. I’ve been a 1Password support since at least version 4 (maybe even 3, I can’t remember actually).

I was undecided whether to move to the subscription model. But the AgileBits team has convinced me to move, partially because I know stand alone vaults will be supported for while, but partially because of the security improvements. Also, it has been years since the last paid upgrade.

I missed the original promo, which I was a little upset about, and I was actually going to write here that you should offer it again. But you already did, and I signed up. Thanks!!

Awesome! Thank you for continuing to support us, Matt! We wouldn’t be here without awesome long time customers like you. ❤️

Love Dave,
      A Happy 1Password Maker

13. Frank Catalano
    Frank Catalano says:

A little over a year ago, I tweeted this – “I love 1Password & their new Families feature. It’s a great idea! I just can’t afford another subscription -they all add up over time.”

So what changed?

My wife decided to start using 1Password and I tried to set up a Shared vault using Dropbox. Well let’s just say things didn’t go as expected. Shortly after, I signed up for a 1Password Families account and I will never look back. For me personally, knowing my wife has access to everything she needs in the event of an emergency is priceless.

I was so impressed with 1Password Families that I decided to take to Twitter again – “1Password, I hope when I eventually work for you I can get an awesome nickname too. #fingerscrossed”

I can uncross my fingers now, I’m here and I love doing what I do everyday. I get to wake up every morning and share my story with our customers.

Frank Catalano
    Caped Crusader of Support @ AgileBits

14. Rob Yoder
    Rob Yoder says:

I’ve always found 1Password memberships intriguing and exciting. No one had to drag me into one. Then again, I’ve written a sizable chunk of the code. :) I was a 1Password customer for a while before becoming a customer support team member back in 2010. When I was invited to start working on this project a couple of years ago, I was exhilarated to be able to create something that would benefit customers (including me) so directly.

My family have been my (unfortunate) guinea pigs for this project. I signed them up early on, and as they experienced the pain points of brand new software I got to feel that pain too. What’s even better is that I then got to go fix it. That is literally the best part of this job. Some developers get so sequestered away from actual customers that they lose touch with what really needs to gets done. I get to help customers every week (including my own family and friends every so often), hear their amazing success stories and feel their pain, and then turn that feedback into action.

Our team, now over 80 people (?!?!), each have nuanced perspectives on 1Password based on their background and personal needs. What we all have in common though is that each of us loves the fact that our customers who have 1Password memberships are using the app much more successfully than they were before. And as Dave said, none of us liked telling customers who bought one app that the other apps were separate purchases – it was another horrible side effect of having no way to sell just one product. It made us and them feel unhappy.

At the same time, as a nerd, I totally get those who want to be in full control of their data, keeping it offline, backing it up, syncing it themselves etc. I still have offline 1Password backups from several years ago, and I was still using standalone vaults myself less than a year ago. I have a special place in my heart for things that don’t use an Internet connection. I’ve just found my 1Password membership to be so much more convenient that I haven’t looked back.

We were just talking about all of this and Dave remarks, “You know, we’re a family, and families fight more than anyone.” It’s so true. Some of us want to help our customers by making sure they can use 1Password the same way they always have. Others want to help our customers by getting them onto a 1Password membership because it will make their lives so much easier. The common thread is that everyone wants to make our customers as happy as possible because as Dave said, that makes us happy too, and the virtuous cycle continues. :)

15. Roscoe
    Roscoe says:

Thank you for this. Your openness with customers is what seperates you guys from the competition. I am so happy I can continue to see a future with 1Password and my local vaults. Excited to see what’s to come with version 7!!

Since Day 1,
    Happy Customer

Thanks for saying so, Roscoe! It’s awesome you’ve been supporting us since day one – we literally wouldn’t be here today without awesome customers like you and we’ll never lose sight of that.

Thank you so much for allowing us to work on what we love.

❤️

16. Andrew Costen
    Andrew Costen says:

As Dave and others here can attest to, I’ve been very vocal from the beginning about keeping standalone vaults as a part of 1Password. I’m a geek who is very into handling my own data, sync, and backups, and didn’t ever want to lose that control. Even after we switched over to 1Password Teams for our work accounts here at AgileBits, I kept my personal passwords in a standalone vault for the longest time. But despite all that, I’m also a fan of technology that “just works” and I eventually gave in when I was setting up a 1Password Families account for my wife’s family and realized how much simpler it is to not worry about the hassle of local syncing and making backups of my backups (although that’s not to say I didn’t keep a copy of my 1Password.opvault in case I ever changed my mind, but at this point even I’m sold on sticking with an account and very much doubt I’ll ever go back to using it).

17. Niko
    Niko says:

Over the years, I spent well above 200 € on different flavors of 1Password. This post assures me I won’t even have the chance to spend any more on 1Password, because I will never ever store my passwords to the cloud.

Let me delve into your arguments:

No more sync issues: You really think the audience of a blog that talks about crypto primitives is not capable of maintaining their own sync systems? You’re right, there are people who cannot understand the former or do the latter, and they are probably happy with the cloud service. But there are a lot of others, too.

No more deleted files: Yet again, not the typical issue of power users who understand the implications of local vs. cloud storage.

No more third party issues: Same argument as above, same reply, too. Actually, the great integration into third party applications (both browsers and sync systems) is, no: WAS, the killer feature of 1Password.

No more purchase per platform: The pricing model is completely independent of the place of my vault. You could very well introduce a subscription model for 1Password versions supporting local vaults. Besides, 1Password is already quite expensive: For three times the 1Password price, I can buy MS Office. You cannot argue each of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint provide only the same or less value than 1Password.

No more holding back features: You’re free to push new versions with no additional costs, introduce a subscription model, or in-app purchases for add-ons. Again, pricing is completely independent of vault storage.

For the rest of the article, it’s more interesting what you do not say:

You do not say 1Password 6 for Windows will ever support local vaults. This means local vaults will be unusable on Windows in the long term, because maintaining two code bases makes no sense. Or, if they aren’t that different after all, you’re withholding local vaults for version 6 on purpose, which would turn “nudging” into “extortion”.
    You do not say you will support local vaults on Mac for the foreseeable future (“forever”). This hints to deprecating and eventually abandoning them, because you’re not very shy on bold statements in general (see security posts).
    You do not (directly) say that the non-cloud customers are economically irrelevant (as they account for only 5 % of your revenues). This means, in the long term, there can be only one business decision.

You mentioned some organizational issues with cloud storage, but skipped over the equally important security issues. Just to name a few:

A cloud system storing exclusively passwords is an extremely attractive target, way more attractive than a general file syncing system.
    Some of my vaults never ever travel over a network. Any network access increases the attack surface by several orders of magnitude.
    I doubt you implement different storage strategies for accounts with or without Account Recovery enabled. This means that any account has one master key that can decrypt any password — yet again a new attack vector (so much to your last “no more”).

I used to be a happy 1Password customer for a long time. Currently using Windows as main OS, I already feel left behind by the 1Password 4 I’m forced to use. Sadly, I can clearly see where this journey ends.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Niko! First off, I think a lot of folks are taking Dave’s statement that these No More issues needed to be resolved to mean these were problems for everyone. Of course, we don’t expect our highly technical users to have encountered these. That said, they were still big problems that we dealt with every day (and still do to some extent) that we really wanted to address for those who were encountering them. 1Password memberships have helped us do that and we think that’s great, but, just as you said, that doesn’t mean we thought these problems were 100% universal. Of course, even folks who never encountered one of these issues have found value in a 1Password membership, but we know there are some folks for whom they’re just not the right choice and that’s fine. 🙂

You do not say 1Password 6 for Windows will ever support local vaults.

This is true and that’s because we do still have some work to do on memberships before we’ll be able to focus any development efforts elsewhere. We don’t want to make promises unless we’re absolutely certain we can keep them. I know this leaves some uncertainty in the air, but we’d rather over-deliver than over-promise and fail to live up to those promises.

maintaining two code bases makes no sense.

There’s definitely some truth here. It’s extra work for sure, but the fact is that we did not want to leave our standalone customers out in the cold and, if that means we need to maintain two code bases for a period, we’re more than happy to do so, even if it is extra work. 🙂

I’ll admit, I may not be following you here, but your Secret Key and Master Password still stay local before, during and after account recovery. These keys aren’t shared with us or with the person recovering your account. If I’m missing the point, I’d love some clarification of where you see a problem here so I can touch base with our security team and better address this concern.

Regardless, though I understand why you and others see a certain path laid out before you, I can only repeat that we have no plans at all right now to stop supporting standalone vaults and that you’re more than welcome to continue using them. I know this means some folks will still be giving me the side-eye for a bit and that’s a-okay. It’s up to us to keep earning your business down the road and we’ll keep working hard to do just that. 🙂

18. Patrick H. Lauke
    Patrick H. Lauke says:

You forgot “No more taking a single payment from a customer and letting them own their software – now we can get them to pay monthly”. And please don’t give me the “you can carry on using the standalone version you have now” line. True…until some critical update is needed, or the host OS changes some APIs, requiring an update or patch which will then never come. I appreciate you’re trying to put a happy spin on “we’re discontinuing standalone and going all in on membership model”, but it doesn’t really wash with many of your long time loyal users.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Patrick! We do still support the single-payment model. The Pro Features for iOS and Android are available via in-app purchase and the basic features are actually free. The Mac app is sold on the App Store as a one-time in-app purchase as well. It’s there, it’s just not emphasized because, as Dave stated, a 1Password membership really is the best choice for most of our customers.

Of course, it still is their choice and if folks need my help to purchase a standalone license and that’s really what they want, then I’m more than happy to lend a hand. It may be after I send an e-mail encouraging them to consider a membership instead, which may annoy some a bit (sorry!), but I’m not going to force anyone’s hand. It may one day be the case that we switch to exclusively 1Password memberships. I know never to say never. But that day is not today, nor do we have any existing plans to make that move. I know that new Windows users don’t have this choice right now, but I work almost exclusively on Windows support and rarely does anyone ask me to purchase a standalone Windows license. If standalone licenses and vaults come to 1Password 6, that may change, but for now 1Password accounts seem to be fitting the needs of our new Windows users more than 9 times out of 10.

As for updates, for most of the apps, standalone vaults and 1Password accounts exist side-by-side in the same app. If we update 1Password for Mac, iOS or Android, every single one of our customers gets that update. Yes, some new features are exclusive to 1Password accounts, but we’ve also released updates that focused on standalone exclusive features as well (yes, even for Windows). Recently, we updated 1Password 6 for Mac, iOS and Android to support Dropbox’s new API. We also updated 1Password 4 for Windows to support upcoming changes to Chrome and Firefox so that our standalone customers can continue saving and filling on Windows once these changes come along. You can keep using the existing version and we have and will keep updating it. No subscription required. 🙂

19. Patrick H. Lauke
    Patrick H. Lauke says:

and to recap: on Windows the only option for standalone is 1Password 4, as you’re not sure if there will ever be support for local vaults in 6. But then you offer reassurance to Mac users that this won’t happen to them? What about Windows users? Not enough of a share of the pie to warrant development?

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hello again Patrick! I wanted to address this comment separately because I felt it does deserve its own reply. As Dave mentioned in his post, we’re bending the rules a bit by making future commitments at all. It’s a tough balance because we often have great ideas we want to share, but we know that development never goes exactly as we plan so we may be creating a whole lot of excitement over what ultimately amounts to nothing. We already did that a bit with standalone vaults in 1Password 6. We wanted to add them and we still do, but we were wrong about the timeline we set when we first built 1Password 6 for Windows and we don’t want to make the same mistake again.

1Password 6 for Windows is a really young app. Less than a year old, in fact. We work towards as unified a 1Password experience as we can across platforms, but each and every app is coded specifically for its platform and built to integrate with its OS. Coding languages, tooling, APIs and even the cryptographic libraries used for Windows are different than those used for Mac. We are really just getting started with 1Password 6 for Windows. We threw out seven years of development by deciding to rebuild. This is exciting, of course, because 1Password 6 is already awesome, and we were able to ensure it was built using the very best modern technologies, but it does mean we have to build everything from scratch.

Our Windows developers are wonderful and have already done so many amazing things in such a short period of time. I actually goofed in a previous comment thinking the Windows app had been around for longer because it has matured so much so quickly. All the same, the fact that we don’t have those seven years of Windows development to reuse and build on does make the difficult task of predicting the future of 1Password that much harder. We’ve already made that mistake once and don’t want to make it again. We do want to add standalone vaults to 1Password 6 for Windows and in our perfect universe that will happen at some point down the line, but we don’t always live in our perfect universe. We’d ultimately rather make standalone vaults in 1Password 6 for Windows a pleasant surprise and accept whatever pushback we may get in the meantime than make promises we aren’t certain we can keep. I can’t give you assurances, but I can say we’ll try our very best. 🙂

20. Jeff Goldrich
    Jeff Goldrich says:

I’ll keep my local vault.. thank you very much. Your servers are just too big a target for evil people. Why do people rob banks? cause that’s were the money is…Why would people want to hack your system? Because thats where ALL the passwords are. Please don’t say it’s impossible.. I love 1password… but will never join the bank.

Hi Jeff,

I agree with you that people rob banks because that’s where the money is. And our servers would be an equally juicy target if they stored anything of value. The thing is we don’t store your passwords on our servers. Instead 1Password uploads an encrypted blob of gibberish to our server which only you have the keys to decrypt and turn back into sensible information. It’s simply useless information and if anyone did break in it would be like a robber successfully breaking in to a bank only to find the vaults empty.

Many apps talk about encryption but our security design takes it much further. In addition to things like Secure Remote Password and of course SSL, we introduced the Secret Key which is unique for each 1Password account. This secret key is 128 bits of random data that is generated for your account and it plays a key role in the encryption process. Basically it means that even if an attacker stole our database and tried to brute force your Master Password, they would be unable to do so, even if you used a weak Master Password (we obviously suggest you still use a good one to further strengthen your security!).

And having your data in a central place does a lot more than simply making syncing (much) easier. Creating additional vaults is super easy, secure sharing within teams and family accounts becomes possible, along with automatic backups, item history, and data loss protections. Together they make 1Password memberships the best way to use 1Password.

With all that said, if you’re not comfortable with the cloud, we’re not going to beat you over the head with it. In time we hope you warm up to it but if you don’t, standalone vaults are your friend.

Love Dave,