Why We Love 1Password Memberships

TL;DR: We love 1Password. We love you. We believe 1Password memberships are the best and will shout it from the mountaintops, but standalone vaults aren’t being removed.

Recently a customer wrote in to praise us for handling a sticky situation with a quick and decisive response. They signed off their post with “from a happy customer”.

Jeff, our resident Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts, replied and signed his message with “from a happy 1Password maker”.

This was really cute and I loved the play on words. It also got me thinking though: we really are happy 1Password makers.

From a happy 1Password maker

Jeff’s phrase is similar to a statement that I tell our team often and expound upon during interviews: we all need to be working at our dream jobs. So I really shouldn’t be surprised by Jeff’s signature. But it stuck with me as I adored its simplicity.

Quick and to the point. And at the same time, a revelation. I absolutely loved it.

1Password is what it is today because we all love working here and have fun helping our customers. We are completely self-funded, independent, have turned down all offers from venture capitalists, and our board of directors consists entirely of people who work on 1Password and help customers directly each and every day.

As a result we’re able to provide true security and never compromise on protecting the privacy of our customers. We don’t have to and never will sell your information or spam you with ads.

The bottom line is we have a complete focus on 1Password and since we’re working on stuff we love, we’re excited and have the desire to constantly improve and make 1Password the best it can be. We’re happy to be able to do this.

Happy 1Password memberships

How is happiness related to 1Password memberships? Simple. We created 1Password memberships to make 1Password the best it can be. And a direct result of 1Password memberships is happier 1Password makers and customers alike.

I am so much happier now that 1Password has the power of memberships to help me help our customers. With memberships, there are several things that I no longer need to do, and as a direct result I have more time to improve 1Password and help more customers.

With 1Password memberships we have a wonderful set of things we no longer need to do. I call it my No More list and here are just the highlights:

No More telling people who had syncing misconfigured (or didn’t realize that syncing needed to be manually configured) that I’m sorry they lost their data when they reset their phone. With 1Password memberships, all your data is synced automatically when you sign in, so there’s nothing to set up or worry about configuring wrong.

No More telling people that I’m sorry that when they deleted some files from their hard drive they didn’t recognize they inadvertently deleted all their 1Password data. With 1Password memberships, everyone enjoys data loss protection that ensures this can never happen.

No More explaining that we don’t have any control or visibility into third-party sync solutions and are therefore limited when troubleshooting problems. With 1Password memberships, we are in complete control of both sides of the connection so we’re able to optimize things, quickly troubleshoot, and improve immediately when a problem is found. All this results in a rock solid solution that results in an entire category of issues no longer affecting our customers.

No More explaining why purchasing 1Password on one platform doesn’t automatically unlock it on all other platforms. Not only is it really hard for customers to understand that 1Password is “licensed per person, per platform, with paid upgrades”, but it’s an incredible mouthful for us to even say. With 1Password memberships, you simply subscribe once and you get access to 1Password everywhere.

No More needing to hold back on features for creating a “big splash” for major upgrades. These require purchasing a license upgrade and so it’s important that we save up features (often for a year or more) so we can woo customers to open up their wallets. With 1Password memberships, we can give people new features as soon as they are available so they can enjoy them right away. See Travel Mode and 1Password for Slackers for examples of this.

I wish I could also say No More for explaining to people who have forgotten their Master Password that 1Password uses true security and they therefore need to start over. But with 1Password memberships I can at least share the good news that families and teams can use Account Recovery to restore their own access.

And with the time we save from not needing to do these things, we’ll be able to improve 1Password itself to make it easier for customers to remember their Master Passwords. So perhaps someday soon this will indeed end up on my No More list.

Nudging people towards 1Password memberships

Now of course not everyone is on 1Password memberships yet, so we do indeed still work through these issues every day. So it’s not truly a No More list. At least not yet. Still, the number of people on memberships continues to grow every day, so we’re quickly seeing more and more of these bright spots as we move throughout our day.

All these bright spots add up to an even happier set of 1Password makers. And that’s as important for you as it is for us, because the happier a 1Password maker is, the better they’ll be able to widen the smiles of 1Password customers everywhere. Nothing great was ever created without passion, and this is just as true for designing and developing software as it is for customer support. I’m really excited about this and hope that someday 100% of our customers will embrace 1Password memberships.

Now the thing is, I know it’s not realistic to expect everyone to be able to be able to join one of our memberships at this time. As great as 1Password memberships are, I know that our excitement for them can cause some people to become worried. After all, many have corporate policies or regional restrictions that prevent them from using a hosted solution like ours, and so they’re understandably concerned and want to know that there’s a future for them with 1Password.

These worries are compounded by the fact that 1Password 6 for Windows was designed from the ground up to support 1Password Teams customers only (and then later expanded to include family and individual plans), and we are unsure how this adventure will play out on the Windows side of the world, so we haven’t made any public announcements about when support for standalone vaults will be added, if ever. Many Mac users worry that the same fate awaits 1Password 6 for Mac, and that we will remove support for local vaults and force them to pay again.

This isn’t going to happen. First, it would be evil to take away something you’ve already paid for. And evil doesn’t make for a Happy 1Password Customer, which is the cornerstone for a Happy 1Password Maker. It’s simply not who we are.

For those who purchased 1Password 6 for Mac already, you’re perfectly fine the way you are and can continue rocking 1Password the way you have been. There’s no requirement to change anything as we will not be removing features or forcing you to subscribe. In fact we’re still selling licenses of 1Password 6 for Mac for those that really need them (you can find them today on the setup screen under More Options).

And you need not worry about 1Password 7 for Mac, either, as it will continue to support standalone vaults just like version 6 does today.

We know that not everyone is ready to make the jump yet, and as such, we will continue to support customers who are managing their own standalone vaults. 1Password 6 and even 1Password 7 will continue to support standalone vaults. But 1Password memberships are indeed awesome and are the best way to use 1Password, and as such, I am going to continue to nudge you over when ever I can 🙂

Love Dave,
A Happy 1Password Maker ❤️ 🇨🇦

P. S. Please don’t think our excitement for memberships has anything to do with money. We’re completely self-funded so we don’t have any investors forcing us to make changes by looking solely at our bottom line. We were doing just fine selling individual licenses and AgileBits was already steadily growing before 1Password Teams was even introduced. We created 1Password Memberships because we had a vision for how 1Password could be even better and we followed our dreams. The result has been stupendously awesome and better than our wildest dreams! Today, over 95% of our revenues are coming from subscribers, which is truly mind blowing. Many investment strategists would say it makes sense to simply drop support for everything else and focus on the money. That’s not how we do things around here. We focus on people, love, and happiness. It’s the way we do things and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

P. P. S. You can create a 1Password membership and move all your existing data over today in just a few minutes. Learn more here. Like I said, I’m going to continue to non-apologetically nudge you over whenever I can 😉

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Grady Ward
    Grady Ward says:

Long time user (and recent subscription purchaser) here. It strikes me as disingenuous to talk about how much is saved on maintainance and support with licences in the same breath as talking about the astronimical revenue growth driven by them. I have lost faith in Agile bits over this fiasco, and I am actively looking for alternatives. If this was actually in your users best interest you would not need to explain that to us.

I’m very sorry to hear this, Grady. 😢

I agree that it’s certainly not our finest moment in terms of communication. I’ve found it incredibly difficult (at least for me) to discuss the differences between standalone vaults and managed 1Password accounts without muddying the waters further and confusing more people than I help, so I’ve held off on doing direct comparison posts and things like that. Perhaps I should reevaluate that decision as a steady stream of communication could help a lot with respect to the feeling of disingenuousness.

As for the revenue growth, I went back and forth on whether or not I should include that in this post or not. On the one hand I didn’t want to make standalone vaults users feel small (they’re not!) but on the other hand I wanted to lay to rest the idea that AgileBits was in any sort of financial rough waters and required the memberships to survive. Or that we had outside investors forcing our hand. These are false and I wanted to demonstrate that with some actual numbers and clear statements about how we’re a different kind of company.

In any event, I hope we can win you back but if not, please please please continue to use strong, unique passwords on all your websites and pick a secure and robust solution for storing your passwords. Our security design is second to none so you won’t find anyone better, but at the very least please find a solution where the company doesn’t know which websites you visit, doesn’t sell your information to retailers, and protects your privacy and security with true encryption that cannot be bypassed. It is astounding how many companies don’t do all of these fundamental things that are simply non-negotiable as far as I’m concerned.

Take care and best of luck in whatever path you choose! 🙏

• Nick
      Nick says:

I understand that Agilebits would like (out of nothing but pure love, of course) its users to become “members” of their family and contribute to the family on a monthly basis. However, I would like to know whether it will be possible to use at least 1Password 6 outside of the family and with iCloud syncronization.

If Agilebit decides (out of pure love, of course) to answer this question – please make it short, please do not write another novel about this.

Thanks.

2. Nigel
    Nigel says:

I’m a long time 1Password user. I haven’t yet switched to a subscription membership, but I can see how it will continue to enable improvements that aren’t possible with the standalone product. And having said that, there are already a few things I’m looking forward to when I do make the switch:

No more belatedly finding out that my devices haven’t been syncing for weeks because of dropbox wonkiness.
    No more helping family / friends / coworkers go through what is to them, a baffling sync setup process. Or fix their syncing problems.
    The return of access to my passwords through the browser, and in a much more usable form than the old school hosted-1Password-file-based method.
    No more difficulties in figuring out how to let my family access my passwords in the event of an emergency. (My previous solution was to print the 1Password emergency kit and store it in a safety deposit box. Pretty secure in theory, but problematic over time because it prevented me from changing my master password if I needed to. Especially once I was no longer living in the same location as the safety deposit box. Quite a specific situation, but an example of how theoretical good security can end up less secure in practice when running up against real world constraints.)

A side note: I’m not sure if AgileBits can persuade those who don’t trust its cloud sync service, but I always figured that since the core encrypted data format used to store passwords is documented and well-respected, it doesn’t matter which cloud the data is stored in. But maybe more elaboration on the nature of the cloud sync service & browser access method is needed?

Anyway, all the above is to say, keep up the great work. I understand the resistance to yet another subscription—with so much software shifting to this model, the costs for end users are adding up quickly and are hard to keep track of. But I support the direction that 1Password is heading in.

Hi Nigel! 👋🏻

Thanks so much for chiming in and sharing your thoughts with us. I agree with you that technical folks like yourself are less persuaded by some of the features of memberships than others, but if you’ve ever ran a rm -Rf on the wrong folder, you know as well as I do that you can never have enough backups. 🙂 As an old friend of mine used to say, “you never hear of anyone telling a horror story about having too many backups!” 😉

With that said, I’d like to discuss two things that came to mind when reading your post.

The first revolves around simplicity and convenience. Daniel said it quite well in his comment where he discusses that as a sysadmin he has more than enough skills to manage his own standalone vaults, but at the same time, he has so much on his mind that he’s happy to allow 1Password to do all the work for him. That way he can clear his mind and focus on his real work. And if you’ve ever tried to configure multiple vaults with Dropbox, you’ll know first hand that it’s a tedious task, especially if they are shared with other. This isn’t a fault of Dropbox as they do a wonderful job of syncing shared folders, but rather it’s a real pain coordinating the multiple Master Passwords that need to be synced between the various parties. You can see my post about staying organized to see how much easier it is to manage multiple vaults with 1Password Families and 1Password Teams:

That post was written in 2016, and since then I have even more vaults than I had then! Now that it’s super simple to add additional vaults (you just create one and assign access and 1Password does the rest), the barrier to entry is basically non-existent so it happens much more frequently.

The second thought that came to mind was about our cloud service and how we’ve done an incredible job to make sure that we’re not a juicy target for attackers. Not only is all your data encrypted by your Master Password, but it is further strengthen by a completely random, 128-bits of data that is unique to each account that we call the Secret Key. It is used in a process we call Two-Secret Key Derivation to create an encryption key that protects your data. This Secret Key and your Master Password is never sent to our servers, so even if someone were able to grab a copy of our database, they wouldn’t even be able to launch a brute force attack against your Master Password. If someone were to break into your Dropbox or iCloud account, the only thing protecting you is the strength of your Master Password.

Anyway, I agree that more education is needed as the security design of our 1Password accounts is second to none and there are many choices we made to ensure your data remains secure and private. We have a very nice Security page that talks a lot about what we do, as well as an open and transparent White Paper that goes into incredible detail. Still, we have some awesome stuff here so we should shout it from the mountain tops more often 🙂

Take care and thanks again for sharing,

++dave

3. Greg Bardakhanov
    Greg Bardakhanov says:

I started using 1Password long before I joined the company. I always felt that there are good people behind AgileBits name, that is what made me choose 1Password in the first place. That and the fact that 1Password is a fantastic product.

I used 1Password with a local vault synced via Dropbox. Luckily for me I have the skills needed to set up and maintain a sync option and backups. But what about my parents? Their security practices online left much to be desired, so I always wanted something that would help me (us!) in this situation. Then 1Password Families came along.

Yes, this membership means that our data is stored in the cloud. But my previous “local vault” was synced via Dropbox. Dropbox is a cloud too, right? I believe that everything will end up in the cloud eventually, so I choose to trust 1Password membership and its security design.

Having my close ones as part of the family membership and the ability to restore the access for them if they get locked out sealed the deal. Also, I don’t trust myself, so they will be able to restore access for me. That is even better! :)

There is something for everyone in 1Password memberships.

Love,
    Greg Bardakhanov
    Customer Support Padawan @ AgileBits

4. Rob Aldred
    Rob Aldred says:

I’ve been a 1password standalone customer since v1. I store all my personal information in 1password not just website passwords which actually in itself probably isnt the ideal, however I have my own backups and 1password has always been simple to use and sync across devices. Being a developer myself I’m very aware of the need to ensure my personal information is safe and secure particularly given the noise being made from our leaders with regards encryption and data collection. I will for as long as it’s supported remain off the grid as a standalone customer.

Hopeful of the future, still a happy customer, Rob

• brenty
      brenty says:

Heya, Rob! Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

This is basically how I use 1Password too! I generally don’t put something in my 1Password vault only if I have to have good reason not to. It’s simply too convenient, and frankly I prefer to not spend the time trying to decide what really needs to be secure and what doesn’t. And since with 1Password security and privacy are our priority, you and I “defaulting” to storing stuff in 1Password means that our data is safe by default. So, done deal. ;)

I’m thrilled to hear that you love and depend on 1Password as much as I do, and all of us here are just as thrilled to have you keep using 1Password. We built it for you and everyone else who wants to be secure without having to give up convenience — or great design. And while I believe whole-heartedly that 1Password.com memberships are the best option for most folks, whether you try that in the future or stick with the standalone version, you’re part of the family and we’re here for you. Cheers! :)

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Rob! If you happen to have a PC in your ecosystem, we’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows you won’t want to miss. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

5. Alex
    Alex says:

I am just sad that 1Password 6 for Windows is just intended for membership users. I was hoping that you will release it also for standalone users. But this will not happen due to your monthly-fee policy. We still need to use this old-fashioned 1Password 4 for Windows and feel like second class customers.

A happy 1Password 6 for macOS (standalone) user
    A sad 1Password 4 for Windows (standalone) user

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Alex! We don’t want anyone to feel left behind, but I do understand why you feel that way. The reason 1Password 6 was developed for our new (at the time) 1Password for Teams customers was because before 1Password 6, 1Password memberships simply weren’t available on Windows. We were really excited to get it out there and give Windows users (like myself) the opportunity to experience how awesome 1Password memberships were. After all, Windows users experienced a lot of those issues on Dave’s No More list too and we wanted to offer them a different choice as well.

Despite the focus on 1Password memberships only for 1Password 6 for Windows, we haven’t forgotten about our standalone customers. As Dave mentioned, we don’t know what the future holds for 1Password for Windows, but having standalone vaults in 1Password 6 certainly would make us happier 1Password Makers and it’s not out of the question. It’s just not something we can guarantee, either, as we are still focusing on 1Password memberships. Everything in 1Password 6 for Windows was built from scratch and standalone vaults would be no different. It’s one thing to leave support in the Mac app, but quite another to build it into 1Password 6 for Windows and we just don’t want to make promises we may not be able to keep.

For now, I’m glad you’re loving 1Password for Mac and hope you’ll continue loving it for a long time to come. As for 1Password 4, our ultimate goal is always to build the best 1Password we can that will make the most people happy, without sacrificing their security. We’ll keep working towards that goal of creating more Happy 1Password users (both those who choose a 1Password membership and those who chose standalone vaults). After all, no one does more to make us Happy 1Password Makers than each and every one of you, whether you choose a 1Password membership or not. 🙂

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Alex! I may have already given you a heads up in reply to another comment of yours as I know I’ve replied to an Alex or two, but there’s just no way to know for sure with WordPress, so if I’m inadvertently spamming you I’m sorry! Still, I’d hate to miss any of our wonderful Windows customers as we’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows sure to turn that frown upside down. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

6. Peter
    Peter says:

Why the change in language when mentioning version 7? With 1Password 6, you say you will keep offering standalone licences. With version 7, all you mention are standalone vaults.

Am I correct in assuming that it won’t be possible to outright purchase version 7 ?

Hi Peter,

This is a great question! You are indeed correct that I purposely typed “standalone vaults” there instead of “standalone licenses”. The reason I did that was to preserve as much flexibility as I could. The reality is we’re talking about an unreleased product here and it’s very difficult to predict the future, so the more leeway I could leave the team and I while creating 1Password 7 for Mac, the better.

For an interesting story about predicting the future and why I try my best never to discuss future plans, please see my reply to Sad in an earlier comment about a planned WebDAV feature that we were working on (circa 2010). That experience had a profound effect on me and I’ve never forgotten that lesson. The thing is, when you don’t talk about the future at all, you leave open the door for other people to invent the story for you, which creates an equal amount of pain on the other side of things.

That’s why I decided to talk about 1Password 7 for Mac in this post. Even though it goes against my instincts of only talking about the here and now, I needed to lay to rest some of the fear and uncertainty and doubt that I was seeing posted throughout the internet. As much as I wanted to completely open the curtains and show all our plans, I felt it important to keep our options as open as possible.

I hope that helps explain where I’m coming from. For some answers you will just need to wait until 1Password 7 ships to find out. 🙂

Take care and thanks again for reaching out!

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Peter! We’ve got some exciting news about 1Password for Windows I think you’ll be happy about. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

7. Will Moore
    Will Moore says:

I have used 1Password for over 9 years, in all its different forms and guises. Now I get to work at the company that makes it, and I continue to trust the decisions that are made. I made the switch to 1Password Families last year, and really haven’t looked back.

Ultimately I trust AgileBits to protect my passwords and other information as I always have done, and 1Password membership now means that things are the easiest to use and most secure they have ever been.

8. Daniel
    Daniel says:

Like many other vocal people I have heard from in the last few days, I have also used local vaults for years (almost 10, if memory doesn’t fail me, but in any case, a huge amount of time). I am also technical, so I didn’t have any problem troubleshooting sync issues or dealing with backups myself. For a long time, I even used WLAN sync rather than Dropbox or iCloud, so I was definitely not scared to try a more manual approach of dealing with my passwords.

However, I am a sysadmin, which means that I manage a ridiculous number of machines and tools. All of them require patching, troubleshooting, upgrades and some level of supervision. It’s easy for me to think that I can just add one more tool to the mix and deal with it like I deal with all of the others. The truth is, I don’t want to do that, I have enough stuff that eats into my time that I don’t want to think about how to keep my passwords secure and in sync. I trust AgileBits with their security expertise and infrastructure more than I trust myself to keep my data secure. It’s way easier for an attacker to steal my laptop or to hack into my own mini-infrastructure than it is to hack a cloud infrastructure with continuous monitoring and folks behind it working on it all the time, even if the attack surface is larger.

So this covers me, but the most important thing in my opinion is that a 1Password Membership allows anyone to use 1Password without having to think about how to make things work. In the past, when I recommended using 1Password as a password manager to my friends, most of them simply gave up because they couldn’t get sync to work, or they gave up after their phones were stolen because they didn’t have a backup. Well, I think that this is not fair. 1Password should not be just a tool for techies. We are a minority after all, and our focus should be on all those customers who want to be safe online, even without being comfortable with the technicalities. Everyone deserves to have a simple way to remain secure in the digital world, and a 1Password Membership allows them to do that in the most simple way.

We do this because we truly believe in what we do, and we think that 1Password Memberships are the best choice for most folks. We do this because we love our customers and think that they deserve to be able to use 1Password no matter their technical skills. Local vaults are not going away, for the techies among us, but now it’s time to care about everyone else too.

9. Benji Debnam
    Benji Debnam says:

Tl;dr: You don’t need to be technically savvy at all, and you shouldn’t have to be. You just want to be able to get to your stuff, easily and feel assured and trust the clever minds at AgileBits take care of the security, design and the rest of the mind boggling stuff.

It is easy for us to sing and shout about 1Password memberships, telling you how much time we save by not having to setup 3rd party services to sync/backup and the headaches we go through when things do not go right. Having to setup a dropbox account for family member who doesn’t need dropbox at all apart from wanting to make sure they don’t lose their online bank details.

It’s easy for me to sing and shout about having a quick way to now see previous history of items when theres been a change, having a single place to goto when paranoid if one of the sites you’ve got an account with is compromised or not and all the rest of the reasons we love having a membership.

Its easy for us to say that, because its true. But sure, we’re lucky enough and super proud to make 1Password so it’s easy for you to assume that we’re just saying it to keep up appearances and protect our hard work. Yet, I’m not gushing on about 1Password because I have to, I do it because it has drastically improved how my Family and I work with keeping track of everything, and I am extremely proud to do so. It’s way more than just a password manager, it is a companion to our daily lives interacting online with the services and sites we rely upon heavily nowadays.

On a personal note, the biggest and the most rewarding feeling for me was watching my Wife, my parents (who can barely use the TV remote!), my Sister and her family, my father in law, my Wife’s Aunt and my young nephew all setup their devices with their 1Password Families memberships. The ease of scanning the account code, typing in the Master Password and seeing everything appear instantly, was truly amazing! My Wife never “got” 1Password before we started using a membership, for her it was too much ‘faff’ and effort to setup. I tried for years to get her using it, but ended up having to just doing it for her because the process kinda sucked. But now, she tells all of her colleagues, friends and random folks about how easy 1Password is, and I’m not having to do it all for her. Bless her, she even started telling the checkout assistant when we were doing our shopping. I think she should be in our sales team for how much she keeps banging on about 1Password to people!

My point is, this is the effect making something easy and straight forward has. It’s the user experience we’ve always hoped 1Password could have, you don’t need anything else, just your Emergency Kit in a safe place for when you need it. My wife even finds generating random passwords enjoyable, what the heck is that about?

10. Louise
    Louise says:

I first discovered 1Password at my previous job by a customer who needed their device restored and was concerned if their data would still be there. I truthfully had no idea, not knowing what 1Password even was. Upon opening the app, the customer entered their account credentials and simply signed in – and boom – everything was there! We sat together and she took me through everything she knew about 1Password. I loved how user friendly the interface was and how the product did so much more than just storing passwords. Looking through the AgileBits website and social media pages showed their personality and passion – the team was human, open, and totally relatable. It’s not something I had seen with many other companies. I was genuinely mind-blown and began telling my co-workers, friends, and partner about the app. Turns out my partner had been using 1Password for his business for about a year!

For me, I love 1Password memberships because it takes away the worry of losing data no matter what I do with my devices. Thanks to the truly awesome security behind a 1Password.com account, I know my data is safe. I’m an health advocate and spend a lot of my time managing social media posts across different platforms and the use of 1Password makes this a seamless experience. It’s also stopped my partner from continuously asking for passwords for accounts he should already know – I have more peace and quiet thanks to our 1Password Families account and sharing features, but shh, don’t tell him I said that! 😉

I’m proud to be a part of the AgileBits family. I can share my love for 1Password with the team and our users. I love educating and empowering our users every single day. It’s truly incredible.

❤️