1Password 6.7 for Windows: a feature buffet

1Password 6.7 for Windows was meant to be a smaller update, but just like you always walk up to the buffet line with the best of intentions, we reached the end of the line with this update and ended up with three plates full of pastries. We have prepared a regular smorgasbord of 58 new features, improvements and fixes for you in this release. So grab a few extra plates and check out the latest Windows goodies. 🙂

A convenient security appetizer

Not to be outdone by the iOS team, our Windows team made using one-time passwords easier on Windows as well. When filling a login item with a one-time password, the one-time password will be automatically copied to the clipboard. Once the one-time password has expired, 1Password will restore your previous clipboard text allowing you to seamlessly keep your accounts even safer without interrupting your workflow.

An imported entree

It is now easier than ever to make the switch to a 1Password membership. When you import your standalone vaults into your new 1Password account, your attachments will come along for the ride. Attachments will be magically transformed into Document items and you’ll find related item links in the item details for both the new Document items and their parent items so you can easily zip back and forth between them.

The icing on the cake

With the introduction of rich icons in 6.6, software license items were feeling a bit left out, so we’ve sprinkled them with rich icons in this release.

Plus, alert banners are the cherry on top of the recent updates to 1Password mini. Alert banners will also display, including notifications when 1Password automatically updates, so you’ll always know when we’ve served up some new 1Password goodies.

Check out the change log for a complete menu of the changes, improvements and fixes, including these three faves of mine: 1Password mini now dismisses itself after you copy a field value, there are several accessibility improvements for folks using screen readers, and you’ll experience smoother scrolling. I know several of these were long awaited features, so I’m stoked to see them make their appearance in this update. I also have some fantastic news for those wondering about another long-awaited feature …

Beyond 1Password 6 for Windows

In addition to these cool new features, we also have an announcement to make about what’s next for 1Password for Windows. 1Password 6 was created from scratch in order to use the latest and greatest technologies Microsoft had to offer. Recreating seven years worth of development in a fraction of that time was an incredibly tall order, so we decided to focus on 1Password Teams and memberships. It’s been an exciting journey and we’re delighted that so many of you have joined us on this path, but it’s now time to start thinking about our next adventure: 1Password 7.

With this release, we finally have enough visibility to chart a course for the future, so we’re happy to announce that standalone vaults will be an available entree on the menu in 1Password 7 for Windows. 1Password 7 will be free with your 1Password membership, but if memberships aren’t for you, paid licenses will also be available.

Although we’re looking ahead to 1Password 7, 1Password 6 is not done just yet. We’ll be serving up a few more tasty treats in the coming months, so save room for dessert. Then, strap on your hiking boots and join us as we set out on this new adventure – and burn off some of those extra calories along the way, too. 😉

1. Kevin
    Kevin says:

I’m very glad you’ve decided to listen to the customers who prefer standalone over a membership! I’ll eagerly be waiting for 1Password 7 on Windows!

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Kevin! I totally understand why y’all might disagree with me as I know you’ve been waiting a very long time for this announcement, but I swear we’ve been listening the whole time. Cross my heart, scout’s honor, and pinky swear. 🙂 1Password 4 for Windows may not be perfect, but we did decide to keep it around so that the choice to use standalone vaults still remained even though we’d pressed the pause button on development for a bit.

All the same, I’m glad I finally get to say for sure that an upgrade for our standalone customers is in the works instead of only sharing hopes and dreams. I’ve been working on this blog post for a few days and struggling to keep my mouth shut so it’s a great feeling to finally be able to share this good news. I’ll be anxiously awaiting 1Password 7 as well and will be excited to share it with ALL of our Windows customers when the time comes. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Jan! We still support the standalone version today with 1Password 4 for Windows, but I know I’ll be an even happier 1Password Maker when 1Password 7 is released. Knowing that all of our Windows customers will have the opportunity to use the same shiny, new app no matter how you choose to purchase 1Password or store your vaults puts a big smile on my face. I look forward to sharing it with you and hope keeping up with changes to 1Password 6 gives you a taste of what’s in store for our standalone customers in 1Password 7. 🙂

• Sali
      Sali says:

Yes yes yes!!

Standalone version! That is what I need!!!
      I was allready looking for other passwordmanger! But whene standalong-version will be in Version 7 I’m complity happy with 1Password! Now I can tell my friend again about this program!

Kate Sebald says:

I’m glad to see you’re excited, Sali! I knew about this announcement for a few days before I was allowed to spill the beans and it was a real struggle keeping the good news to myself. I’m glad I was able to share it with you and fully encourage you to spread the word. I’m happy that you no longer need to search for a new home for your vaults and I look forward to sharing 1Password 7 with you and as many of your friends as you’d like to bring along. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey y’all! In case you missed it, I wanted to pop by and let you know that we’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows I think will make everyone in this comment thread pretty happy. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

2. DaKi
    DaKi says:

Hello!

Great, GREAT, GREAT!!!
    I love to hear, that standalone vaults come back!
    At last i can upgrade from 1Password4 because i never will store my passwords in the cloud!
    Best Regards

Kate Sebald says:

Hey DaKi! I’m glad you’re looking forward to an upgrade! It’s great that 1Password 4 for Windows has served you well thus far, but I’m so excited for our standalone customers to get the chance to experience all of the great features we added to 1Password 6 for Windows in 1Password 7. I’ve been struggling to contain my excitement for a bit, so I’m delighted I finally get to share it with all of you.❤️ 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey DaKi! In case you missed it, I wanted to pop by and let you know that we’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows I expect will pique your interest. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

3. Jacob
    Jacob says:

“We’re happy to announce that standalone vaults will be back on the menu in 1Password 7 for Windows.”

Oh, come on! April fools’ is on APRIL 1st, not AUGUST 1st. You are 4 months late…

Or is that a real thing? No way! I can’t believe that. I’ve lost all hopes already. What has changed? Looking forward to see that! And of course, I hope it will actually make it to version 7, as I remember the positiveness about standalone in version 6 a year ago, which silently disappeared and then turned into “well, we’ve never promised that…” last month.

But hey! Yeah, I will keep an eye on this! Thanks for good news!

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Jacob! This is real life! It’s all happening! It would have made my mischievous side giggle if we’d made this announcement on April 1st, but toying with y’all like that wouldn’t be very Canadian of us. The devil on my shoulder will just have to live with a bit of disappointment. 😉

As a St. Louis Blues fan, I know that hope can be a dangerous thing come playoff time, but I can promise you we won’t choke in the post-season. We’ve learned from past mistakes and purposefully waited to make this announcement until we were 100%, absolutely, completely, positively, and undoubtedly certain that we can deliver. Standalone vaults are coming, if a bit later than we’d hoped, and I hope you’ll accept our sincerest apologies for missing the mark. After all, there’s nothing more Canadian than saying sorry and trying to make it up to you, so that’s exactly what we intend to do. In the meantime, I’ll do my best to help keep the hope alive.❤️ 🙂

4. Tom
    Tom says:

I am very happy you reconsidered your stance on individual licences, but especially standalone vaults.
    For what it’s worth, I like paying for individual licences more – more or less because of preference; I’m not religious about it – but the subscriptions were a deal-breaker for me due to lack of standalone vaults. I’m really happy they are back on the menu. Thank you!

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Tom! I’m glad to have been able to provide some peace of mind. I know things have been a bit muddled of late, but we truly didn’t have anything to reconsider. We had done a fair amount considering already and were continuing to consider right up until just a few days ago when the first concrete decision was made. I do know there was a real need for some clarity about the Windows road map, though and it’s an incredible relief to be able to stop biting my tongue and let it all out.

Regardless, you are most welcome. Thank YOU for being patient with us as we sort things out and I look forward to having even more to share as thing start to come together in the future.❤️ 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey David! I’ll commit to before 2020. I often feel our developers work at the speed of molasses when I’m particularly excited about a forthcoming feature, but I have confidence they’re not quite that slow. Plus, if I’m being fair instead of impatient, they’re actually pretty speedy and I know they’re working hard on 1Password 7 already. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Tom! We’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows you won’t want to miss!

And David, I’d like to take this opportunity to note that it’s 2018, so I kept my promise. 😉

Come check it out, and if y’all have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

5. Jon W
    Jon W says:

with 1password 7 if we already have a stand alone license for 1password on pc and mac, is this going to be a paid upgrade or we get it with our current license?

Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Jon! 1Password 7 will be a paid upgrade, but we’re still discussing the details on pricing. I can’t make any promises, but historically, we’ve been pretty generous with upgrades, so I suspect we’ll do something similar with 1Password 7. We’ll be able to share more details as we are able to pin them down. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Jon! We’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows, including some details I think will provide some clarity for you. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

6. Peter Urda
    Peter Urda says:

As a long time 1Password user I’m very excited to see standalone vaults remain a 1st class citizen at AgileBits. I love that the team has built a platform that allows users who are not technically inclined rest easy knowing that their password vaults are safe.

But I love that you will continue to protect standalone vaults for those of us that either keep them locally, or prefer our own management infrastructure.

As others have echoed on your social media accounts and this blog, many of us are more than happy to pay for upgrades and new licenses to major versions of 1Password. I can’t wait to see 1Password 7, the platform almost feels completely unified now!

Kate Sebald says:

Thank you so much for the support, Peter! You do a better job of describing our goal with 1Password memberships than I think I ever have and I’m glad you feel we’re achieving that goal.🙂

We definitely wanted to continue offering standalone vaults, which was the whole motivation behind keeping 1Password 4 for Windows around. We also knew it wasn’t a perfect solution, however, so it’s a great relief to be able to see a path towards a more unified 1Password experience for all of our Windows customers. I, for one, had a hard time keeping my trap shut as plans materialized so it was a wonderful feeling to finally put pen to paper on this one (text to screen?). I’m glad you’re already excited about 1Password 7 and I look forward to sharing it with you and everyone waiting on standalone vaults in the future. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Peter! We’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows I’d wager you’ll be pretty stoked about. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

7. Jeffrey Alles
    Jeffrey Alles says:

I have to say, as a Happy 1Password Maker, as exciting as it is to announce this, it’s so much more exciting knowing so many of you will have peace of mind about continuing to use 1Password the way you want, whichever way that happens to be (but do give a membership a spin if you’re interested!)

:-)

Jeff

Jeffrey Alles
    Smile Catalyst, AgileBits

8. trailmax
    trailmax says:

Ah! great to hear standalone vaults are getting some TLC again. At one point I felt that it is maybe time to go find other password management system – one that does not really push you into a cloud. Good stuff! Looking forward for this version

• Jeffrey Goldberg
      Jeffrey Goldberg says:

Thanks!

And thanks to everyone we have heard from about this issue. I have learned a lot talking to people one-on-one to gain a better understanding of their specific concerns, which are remarkably varied. At any rate, I am delighted that we ourselves are able to state a clear path forward.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey there trailmax! I’m sorry if we seemed pushy! We do want to share the love of 1Password memberships, but we don’t want to cross the line from sharing to nagging. It’s sometimes tough to know where that line is, so you’ll have to accept our apologies if we crossed it in the past. While I hope all of our customers will keep 1Password memberships in mind and at least consider giving them a try, we want you to always feel that how and where you store your vaults is your choice.🙂

It’s wonderful to hear you’re now excited rather than anxious about the future. Being able to share 1Password 7 with all of our Windows customers, no matter where you choose to store your vaults, is going to be awesome. I’m really looking forward to it and am delighted you’ll be sticking around to see what’s next for 1Password.❤️ 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey trailmax! We’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows. I think you’ll find you’re getting more than just a little TLC. 😉 Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

9. George Xenoulis
    George Xenoulis says:

With 1Password 7, is there a chance of integration with Edge?
    I’m so excited to hear about the standalone development!

Kate Sebald says:

Don’t tempt me, George! I got to spill the beans about standalone vaults, but now you’re making me bite my tongue again. I’m afraid I still can’t spill any beans about Edge just yet. We are actively working on it and inching closer every day, but we have a ways to go still. I sincerely hope we’ll have it ready for 1Password 7, but I can’t make any promises just yet. That promise would still be a bit on the risky side at this juncture. I’ll try to step up my nag game to get it here faster.😉

10. Jauy
    Jauy says:

I’ve been a 1Password user since I found about you guys and have never looked back. Bought licenses for every one in my family and teached them how to use it. Most of my family still uses it, and for me it’s been vital throughout the years on my different devices. I’m very very happy to hear that you guys will support standalone licenses and when the time comes I’ll buy one right away!

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Jauy! Thanks for all of your support over the years and for sharing 1Password with your family! It’s awesome when our customers share the 1Password love with family and friends. The gift of security always keeps on giving.❤️

When the time for 1Password 7 arrives, I’ll be excited to finally get to share everything we’ve done in 1Password 6 with our standalone license customers. Thanks for sticking with us for so long and I’m glad to hear you’re excited about what’s next.🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Jauy! Hey y’all! We’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows I’m sure you’ll love. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐