1Password 6.7 for Windows: a feature buffet

1Password 6.7 for Windows was meant to be a smaller update, but just like you always walk up to the buffet line with the best of intentions, we reached the end of the line with this update and ended up with three plates full of pastries. We have prepared a regular smorgasbord of 58 new features, improvements and fixes for you in this release. So grab a few extra plates and check out the latest Windows goodies. 🙂

A convenient security appetizer

Not to be outdone by the iOS team, our Windows team made using one-time passwords easier on Windows as well. When filling a login item with a one-time password, the one-time password will be automatically copied to the clipboard. Once the one-time password has expired, 1Password will restore your previous clipboard text allowing you to seamlessly keep your accounts even safer without interrupting your workflow.

An imported entree

It is now easier than ever to make the switch to a 1Password membership. When you import your standalone vaults into your new 1Password account, your attachments will come along for the ride. Attachments will be magically transformed into Document items and you’ll find related item links in the item details for both the new Document items and their parent items so you can easily zip back and forth between them.

The icing on the cake

With the introduction of rich icons in 6.6, software license items were feeling a bit left out, so we’ve sprinkled them with rich icons in this release.

Plus, alert banners are the cherry on top of the recent updates to 1Password mini. Alert banners will also display, including notifications when 1Password automatically updates, so you’ll always know when we’ve served up some new 1Password goodies.

Check out the change log for a complete menu of the changes, improvements and fixes, including these three faves of mine: 1Password mini now dismisses itself after you copy a field value, there are several accessibility improvements for folks using screen readers, and you’ll experience smoother scrolling. I know several of these were long awaited features, so I’m stoked to see them make their appearance in this update. I also have some fantastic news for those wondering about another long-awaited feature …

Beyond 1Password 6 for Windows

In addition to these cool new features, we also have an announcement to make about what’s next for 1Password for Windows. 1Password 6 was created from scratch in order to use the latest and greatest technologies Microsoft had to offer. Recreating seven years worth of development in a fraction of that time was an incredibly tall order, so we decided to focus on 1Password Teams and memberships. It’s been an exciting journey and we’re delighted that so many of you have joined us on this path, but it’s now time to start thinking about our next adventure: 1Password 7.

With this release, we finally have enough visibility to chart a course for the future, so we’re happy to announce that standalone vaults will be an available entree on the menu in 1Password 7 for Windows. 1Password 7 will be free with your 1Password membership, but if memberships aren’t for you, paid licenses will also be available.

Although we’re looking ahead to 1Password 7, 1Password 6 is not done just yet. We’ll be serving up a few more tasty treats in the coming months, so save room for dessert. Then, strap on your hiking boots and join us as we set out on this new adventure – and burn off some of those extra calories along the way, too. 😉

1. Kevin
    Kevin says:

I’m very glad you’ve decided to listen to the customers who prefer standalone over a membership! I’ll eagerly be waiting for 1Password 7 on Windows!

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Kevin! I totally understand why y’all might disagree with me as I know you’ve been waiting a very long time for this announcement, but I swear we’ve been listening the whole time. Cross my heart, scout’s honor, and pinky swear. 🙂 1Password 4 for Windows may not be perfect, but we did decide to keep it around so that the choice to use standalone vaults still remained even though we’d pressed the pause button on development for a bit.

All the same, I’m glad I finally get to say for sure that an upgrade for our standalone customers is in the works instead of only sharing hopes and dreams. I’ve been working on this blog post for a few days and struggling to keep my mouth shut so it’s a great feeling to finally be able to share this good news. I’ll be anxiously awaiting 1Password 7 as well and will be excited to share it with ALL of our Windows customers when the time comes. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Jan! We still support the standalone version today with 1Password 4 for Windows, but I know I’ll be an even happier 1Password Maker when 1Password 7 is released. Knowing that all of our Windows customers will have the opportunity to use the same shiny, new app no matter how you choose to purchase 1Password or store your vaults puts a big smile on my face. I look forward to sharing it with you and hope keeping up with changes to 1Password 6 gives you a taste of what’s in store for our standalone customers in 1Password 7. 🙂

• Sali
      Sali says:

Yes yes yes!!

Standalone version! That is what I need!!!
      I was allready looking for other passwordmanger! But whene standalong-version will be in Version 7 I’m complity happy with 1Password! Now I can tell my friend again about this program!

Kate Sebald says:

I’m glad to see you’re excited, Sali! I knew about this announcement for a few days before I was allowed to spill the beans and it was a real struggle keeping the good news to myself. I’m glad I was able to share it with you and fully encourage you to spread the word. I’m happy that you no longer need to search for a new home for your vaults and I look forward to sharing 1Password 7 with you and as many of your friends as you’d like to bring along. 🙂

2. DaKi
    DaKi says:

Hello!

Great, GREAT, GREAT!!!
    I love to hear, that standalone vaults come back!
    At last i can upgrade from 1Password4 because i never will store my passwords in the cloud!
    Best Regards

Kate Sebald says:

Hey DaKi! I’m glad you’re looking forward to an upgrade! It’s great that 1Password 4 for Windows has served you well thus far, but I’m so excited for our standalone customers to get the chance to experience all of the great features we added to 1Password 6 for Windows in 1Password 7. I’ve been struggling to contain my excitement for a bit, so I’m delighted I finally get to share it with all of you.❤️ 🙂

3. Jacob
    Jacob says:

“We’re happy to announce that standalone vaults will be back on the menu in 1Password 7 for Windows.”

Oh, come on! April fools’ is on APRIL 1st, not AUGUST 1st. You are 4 months late…

Or is that a real thing? No way! I can’t believe that. I’ve lost all hopes already. What has changed? Looking forward to see that! And of course, I hope it will actually make it to version 7, as I remember the positiveness about standalone in version 6 a year ago, which silently disappeared and then turned into “well, we’ve never promised that…” last month.

But hey! Yeah, I will keep an eye on this! Thanks for good news!

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Jacob! This is real life! It’s all happening! It would have made my mischievous side giggle if we’d made this announcement on April 1st, but toying with y’all like that wouldn’t be very Canadian of us. The devil on my shoulder will just have to live with a bit of disappointment. 😉

As a St. Louis Blues fan, I know that hope can be a dangerous thing come playoff time, but I can promise you we won’t choke in the post-season. We’ve learned from past mistakes and purposefully waited to make this announcement until we were 100%, absolutely, completely, positively, and undoubtedly certain that we can deliver. Standalone vaults are coming, if a bit later than we’d hoped, and I hope you’ll accept our sincerest apologies for missing the mark. After all, there’s nothing more Canadian than saying sorry and trying to make it up to you, so that’s exactly what we intend to do. In the meantime, I’ll do my best to help keep the hope alive.❤️ 🙂

4. Tom
    Tom says:

I am very happy you reconsidered your stance on individual licences, but especially standalone vaults.
    For what it’s worth, I like paying for individual licences more – more or less because of preference; I’m not religious about it – but the subscriptions were a deal-breaker for me due to lack of standalone vaults. I’m really happy they are back on the menu. Thank you!

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Tom! I’m glad to have been able to provide some peace of mind. I know things have been a bit muddled of late, but we truly didn’t have anything to reconsider. We had done a fair amount considering already and were continuing to consider right up until just a few days ago when the first concrete decision was made. I do know there was a real need for some clarity about the Windows road map, though and it’s an incredible relief to be able to stop biting my tongue and let it all out.

Regardless, you are most welcome. Thank YOU for being patient with us as we sort things out and I look forward to having even more to share as thing start to come together in the future.❤️ 🙂

5. Jon W
    Jon W says:

with 1password 7 if we already have a stand alone license for 1password on pc and mac, is this going to be a paid upgrade or we get it with our current license?

Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Jon! 1Password 7 will be a paid upgrade, but we’re still discussing the details on pricing. I can’t make any promises, but historically, we’ve been pretty generous with upgrades, so I suspect we’ll do something similar with 1Password 7. We’ll be able to share more details as we are able to pin them down. 🙂

6. Peter Urda
    Peter Urda says:

As a long time 1Password user I’m very excited to see standalone vaults remain a 1st class citizen at AgileBits. I love that the team has built a platform that allows users who are not technically inclined rest easy knowing that their password vaults are safe.

But I love that you will continue to protect standalone vaults for those of us that either keep them locally, or prefer our own management infrastructure.

As others have echoed on your social media accounts and this blog, many of us are more than happy to pay for upgrades and new licenses to major versions of 1Password. I can’t wait to see 1Password 7, the platform almost feels completely unified now!

Kate Sebald says:

Thank you so much for the support, Peter! You do a better job of describing our goal with 1Password memberships than I think I ever have and I’m glad you feel we’re achieving that goal.🙂

We definitely wanted to continue offering standalone vaults, which was the whole motivation behind keeping 1Password 4 for Windows around. We also knew it wasn’t a perfect solution, however, so it’s a great relief to be able to see a path towards a more unified 1Password experience for all of our Windows customers. I, for one, had a hard time keeping my trap shut as plans materialized so it was a wonderful feeling to finally put pen to paper on this one (text to screen?). I’m glad you’re already excited about 1Password 7 and I look forward to sharing it with you and everyone waiting on standalone vaults in the future. 🙂

7. Jeffrey Alles
    Jeffrey Alles says:

I have to say, as a Happy 1Password Maker, as exciting as it is to announce this, it’s so much more exciting knowing so many of you will have peace of mind about continuing to use 1Password the way you want, whichever way that happens to be (but do give a membership a spin if you’re interested!)

:-)

Jeff

Jeffrey Alles
    Smile Catalyst, AgileBits

8. trailmax
    trailmax says:

Ah! great to hear standalone vaults are getting some TLC again. At one point I felt that it is maybe time to go find other password management system – one that does not really push you into a cloud. Good stuff! Looking forward for this version

• Jeffrey Goldberg
      Jeffrey Goldberg says:

Thanks!

And thanks to everyone we have heard from about this issue. I have learned a lot talking to people one-on-one to gain a better understanding of their specific concerns, which are remarkably varied. At any rate, I am delighted that we ourselves are able to state a clear path forward.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey there trailmax! I’m sorry if we seemed pushy! We do want to share the love of 1Password memberships, but we don’t want to cross the line from sharing to nagging. It’s sometimes tough to know where that line is, so you’ll have to accept our apologies if we crossed it in the past. While I hope all of our customers will keep 1Password memberships in mind and at least consider giving them a try, we want you to always feel that how and where you store your vaults is your choice.🙂

It’s wonderful to hear you’re now excited rather than anxious about the future. Being able to share 1Password 7 with all of our Windows customers, no matter where you choose to store your vaults, is going to be awesome. I’m really looking forward to it and am delighted you’ll be sticking around to see what’s next for 1Password.❤️ 🙂

9. George Xenoulis
    George Xenoulis says:

With 1Password 7, is there a chance of integration with Edge?
    I’m so excited to hear about the standalone development!

Kate Sebald says:

Don’t tempt me, George! I got to spill the beans about standalone vaults, but now you’re making me bite my tongue again. I’m afraid I still can’t spill any beans about Edge just yet. We are actively working on it and inching closer every day, but we have a ways to go still. I sincerely hope we’ll have it ready for 1Password 7, but I can’t make any promises just yet. That promise would still be a bit on the risky side at this juncture. I’ll try to step up my nag game to get it here faster.😉

10. Jauy
    Jauy says:

I’ve been a 1Password user since I found about you guys and have never looked back. Bought licenses for every one in my family and teached them how to use it. Most of my family still uses it, and for me it’s been vital throughout the years on my different devices. I’m very very happy to hear that you guys will support standalone licenses and when the time comes I’ll buy one right away!

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Jauy! Thanks for all of your support over the years and for sharing 1Password with your family! It’s awesome when our customers share the 1Password love with family and friends. The gift of security always keeps on giving.❤️

When the time for 1Password 7 arrives, I’ll be excited to finally get to share everything we’ve done in 1Password 6 with our standalone license customers. Thanks for sticking with us for so long and I’m glad to hear you’re excited about what’s next.🙂

11. Fabiha
    Fabiha says:

Will 1Password 7 for Windows work with 1Password 6 for Mac standalone vaults? And more specifically, can it use iCloud sync? I know this has been asked for for several years now.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Fabiha! Those are both great questions! 1Password 7 for Windows is still in the planning stages, so I don’t know if standalone vaults in 1Password 7 for Windows will be able to sync with 1Password 6 for Mac. Historically, we’ve maintained some backwards compatibility between versions, but we do periodically update database architecture. We’ll have to see where we’re at when 1Password 7 is ready to be released. I’m sure we’ll give y’all a rundown of how the various versions of the apps will work together when the time comes. 🙂

As for iCloud sync, 1Password uses Apple’s CloudKit to sync your vaults via iCloud. Currently, Apple doesn’t support CloudKit on Windows, so we aren’t able to add iCloud sync to 1Password for Windows. We’re still working out the details for 1Password 7 for Windows, including what sync methods will be supported, so I suppose anything is possible but I can’t make any promises just yet. Thanks for the feedback and we’ll certainly keep it in mind as we get closer to releasing 1Password 7. 🙂

• Matt S.
      Matt S. says:

Kate,
      I am just reading through these comments now, and your statement isn’t 100% true. While it’s true that Apple doesn’t have a Windows SDK for CloudKit, they do have the REST API available which y’all are actually using in https://github.com/agilebits/AgileCloudSDK

So, it would probably be a ton of work to port it to windows, but there is a path forward :)

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Matt! You may be right! I definitely try to get a decent understanding of the inner workings, but I have to stop short of digging into the code so it’s always possible I oversimplified a bit. I fear if I didn’t, I’d run out of brain space pretty darn quick. 😉 That said, sync is being built from scratch for 1Password 7 along with everything else standalone vaults need so it’s totally up in the air for now what sync methods will be supported. It may well be that everything changes, but I don’t know anything more than you do at this point so we’ll both have to wait and see.🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Aw! You’re welcome, Oh Really! We ❤️ you too! I’ll be sure to pass your thanks along to the team. Thank YOU for the love and I look forward to drizzling some of that awesome sauce on your standalone vaults when 1Password 7 for Windows is released. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

No, Kristian, YOU’RE really great.❤️ I was delighted to finally be able to make this announcement as it was a bit of a struggle to keep it to myself for the few days before this blog post was ready. One of the great benefits of having such an awesome Windows development team churning out cool new features for 1Password 6 is that we were able to reach that happy place where we can start planning for the future. It will be a thrill to share 1Password 7 with all of our Windows customers when it’s ready for prime time.🙂

12. Arcsech
    Arcsech says:

Hooray! And all it took was months of customer anger, outcry from the security community, and alienation of a bunch of your customers!

I’m seriously very happy to hear that you’re going to keep local vault support and standalone licenses going forward though. I’m glad you made the right decision there.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Arcsech! All it took was time. I’ve had to bite my tongue when asked about any number of features folks have really wanted because they just weren’t ready yet and I’m sure I’ll have to do it again down the road. Believe me, if we’d been able to make this announcement earlier, I’d have been delighted. It’s tough to tell folks with very real and valid concerns that we just can’t address them yet. I will gladly share unpopular news when needed as y’all deserve honesty from us, but knowing I’m doing the right thing doesn’t make it any easier.❤️

Of course, y’all have been extremely kind and patient despite my having to share unpopular news the past couple weeks. Knowing that you’re happy about the future makes me a much happier 1Password Maker. Our Windows development team worked extremely hard to get us to the point where we are able to make this sort of announcement and I know they appreciate seeing your happy thoughts as well. Thank you for being so patient and for sticking with us. I look forward to sharing 1Password 7 with you, our other standalone customers and our 1Password membership customers when the time comes. It will be a great feeling to have us all experiencing everything the latest 1Password has to offer together.🙂

13. Adam
    Adam says:

I would like to thank you for this “so we’re happy to announce that standalone vaults will be an available entree on the menu in 1Password 7 for Windows.”

I stand ready with Cash in Hand!

Kate Sebald says:

Hey now, Adam, we still have to build 1Password 7, but if you’re giving money away … 😉

On a more serious note, thank you for your patience and understanding as we worked on 1Password 6. It will be an absolute delight to share that work with all of our Windows customers in 1Password 7. Hold onto that cash a bit longer and we’ll let you know when 1Password 7 is ready to meet the world.❤️ 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Doug! That’s a great question! 1Password 7 for Windows will support Dropbox sync if you purchase a standalone license. A lot of pricing questions are still up in the air, though, and there may be other options that allow Dropbox sync as well. We just haven’t pinned down all the details yet. We’ll be able to share more as we get closer to release and are able to discuss some of these details more in-depth. 🙂

14. Jason
    Jason says:

This is great! I can finally get off 1Password 4. Love the product, absolutely hated the subscription and cloud push and that stopped me from ever upgrading to 6. Was actively looking at alternative products.

Really happy you guys changed your minds on this! Now the countdown until 7 can begin : )

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Jason! We truly hadn’t made up our minds about the timing of an upgrade for standalone vaults. We’ve known for a long time we wanted to offer one, but since we did need to build a new Windows app to allow folks purchasing a 1Password membership to use 1Password on Windows, it threw a bit of a wrench into things. This was a good lesson to learn, though, as the experience has definitely made us better planners. I’m glad 1Password 4 for Windows has served you well thus far, and I look forward to sharing all of the work we’ve done on 1Passowrd 6 with you in 1Password 7. 🙂

15. Mike B
    Mike B says:

Super happy (and relieved) that you guys will be bringing back standalone licenses for version 7. Always been happy to pay for major releases. Much respect for listening to your customers – we wouldn’t have complained 1PW wasn’t worth keeping!

Hey, Mike B!

We wouldn’t have complained 1PW wasn’t worth keeping!

This is an excellent point and one that we should definitely be keeping in mind. There is a compliment hidden in every criticism. Providing feedback takes time and effort from y’all and we really do appreciate y’all taking time to share that feedback, even when it’s critical. After all, free time is a precious commodity to all of us and I’m sure you have some more enjoyable ways you could spend yours. So, in that spirit, thank you for spending some of your leisure time providing your honest feedback for us. We really are always listening, even when we aren’t able to act on that feedback right away. I’ll do my best to keep your excellent point in mind next time I find myself getting a bit flustered. We often say we think of our customers as family and families do have tiffs now and again, after all.😉

I’m super happy that you’re now super happy. Thank your for your patience as we worked to get to a place where we were able to make this announcement and I’m looking forward to sharing our hard work on 1Password 6 with you in 1Password 7.❤️ 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Dawn! We never will forget about y’all.❤️ It’s in the nature of software development to pull us in 20 different directions at once so our focus is constantly shifting, but we still remember our roots no matter what we’re working on. Getting to share our hard work on 1Password 6 with our standalone customers in 1Password 7 will be like taking an old friend on a tour of our new home. I’m really looking forward to it.🙂

16. John
    John says:

This is good news. I’m glad you have finally listened to your customers’ concerns about standalone vaults and the importance of it to some of us.

However, similar statements were made for 1Password 6 for Windows with respect to standalone vaults and well, we all see how that turned out. I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m looking forward to the new version (at a fair price) and hope that you guys stick to your word this time.

(And hopefully this will tone down the rabid pushing of customers towards the cloud service too.)

Kate Sebald says:

Hey John! We’ve been listening the whole time, but unlike with 1Password 6, we wanted to make absolutely sure we’d be able to deliver on this announcement before we made it. We absolutely believed we were going to include standalone vault support in 1Password 6 for Windows, but we got a bit ahead of ourselves in what we shared with our customers, especially since we building 1Password 6 from scratch.

Making promises about the future is always a bit risky. Software development is often unpredictable. We’ve seen unexpected obstacles pop up more than once and I’m sure it will happen again. This effect is only amplified when you’re building something completely new. For this exact reason, we’ve been extremely cautious about discussing the future of 1Password for Windows and I’ve always made efforts to talk about what we’d like to do rather than what we will do. I’m glad we’ve now reached a place where I can say we will release an upgrade for our standalone vault customers, which is a wonderful feeling. It’s an even better feeling knowing that we’ll have the time and resources available to stay true to our word.🙂

As a quick note about memberships, this announcement won’t stop us from nudging folks towards memberships. We still love them and think they’re the best option for most. As I’ve said before, though, that doesn’t mean you need to share our opinion and, ultimately, the best option for you is the one you’re most comfortable with. If you e-mail us, there’s always a chance we’ll bring up memberships. After all, we can’t read your mind (yet 😉) and we’re only trying to share the love and all available options. Choice always has been an still is very important to us. We hope we one day make 1Password memberships so undeniably awesome that you’ll happily choose to make the switch, but we never want to force you to do so.❤️

Ok, maybe that wasn’t exactly quick. Sorry! Either way, I look forward to sharing all of the hard work we’ve put into 1Password 6 with you in 1Password 7, whether you decide to make the switch one day or not.🙂

• John
      John says:

Fair enough, but I hope you guys realize that even though you guys say you were listening, it didn’t feel that way for the last couple of weeks and that’s why some of your customers felt betrayed.

I have no problem with you guys offering subscriptions and a cloud service, but as long you guys give customers a choice moving forward as you have stated, you will have a customer in me. I’m ok with you guys constantly nudging me towards a subscription but you also need to be ok with me constantly nudging you guys to actually start showing all available purchase options again and providing the pros and cons of each, so that customers can make an informed purchasing decision. Deal? 😉

I absolutely hate the way you guys make it as difficult as possible now to find information about and buy the standalone versions. Transparency and integrity is very important to me, especially in a security company I am trusting with some of my most private data. The way some of the purchase options are obfuscated on your site just leaves a bad taste. Please take this into consideration moving forward.

Anyway, I’ll leave it at that…for now. I’m happy that you have provided some clarity about the future. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me and I hope you have a good day.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey John! Showing that we’re listening when we can’t always act on feedback right away is a tall order and I’m sure I’ve fallen short at times. It’s easy for me to say, “We want to do this, we’re just not there yet,” but I know it’s difficult for y’all to take comfort from such a statement. I hope you can understand that it was a commitment to honesty that held back this announcement. It would have been easier on us, in many ways, to make that commitment early and sweep the criticism under the rug, but we truly weren’t sure where standalone vaults fit on the road map a few weeks ago, which meant such a commitment would have been disingenuous at best. The honest answer was that we weren’t sure, even if that answer was unpopular.

As for ease of access to standalone licenses and vaults, they are available on the setup screen in 1Password 6 for Mac alongside 1Password memberships. Select your existing sync method if you’re adding a new device or new customers can select Create a Standalone Vault under More Options.

As for highlighting both on the website, we did try that and found it caused more confusion than anything else, particularly for our 1Password membership customers. Folks would be trying to set up sync when they didn’t need to, or they’d purchase a license thinking they were purchasing a membership both of which caused understandable frustration. We love that we offer options so that our customers can choose what works best for them, but we do need to balance visibility against the potential for customer confusion.

We’ve tried to strike this balance by providing documentation specific to standalone vaults where it’s needed (about syncing, for example) and by designing the setup flow for the apps to address all available options. This isn’t a perfect solution, but it has helped alleviate much of that confusion and we’re always willing to lend an extra hand when needed. Creating a positive user experience is a process, though, and conversations like these are one of the most important pieces of that puzzle, so I’ll never begrudge you any nudging of your own. Thanks for your feedback and always feel free to nudge away. 🙂