1Password 6.7 for Windows: a feature buffet

1Password 6.7 for Windows was meant to be a smaller update, but just like you always walk up to the buffet line with the best of intentions, we reached the end of the line with this update and ended up with three plates full of pastries. We have prepared a regular smorgasbord of 58 new features, improvements and fixes for you in this release. So grab a few extra plates and check out the latest Windows goodies. 🙂

A convenient security appetizer

Not to be outdone by the iOS team, our Windows team made using one-time passwords easier on Windows as well. When filling a login item with a one-time password, the one-time password will be automatically copied to the clipboard. Once the one-time password has expired, 1Password will restore your previous clipboard text allowing you to seamlessly keep your accounts even safer without interrupting your workflow.

An imported entree

It is now easier than ever to make the switch to a 1Password membership. When you import your standalone vaults into your new 1Password account, your attachments will come along for the ride. Attachments will be magically transformed into Document items and you’ll find related item links in the item details for both the new Document items and their parent items so you can easily zip back and forth between them.

The icing on the cake

With the introduction of rich icons in 6.6, software license items were feeling a bit left out, so we’ve sprinkled them with rich icons in this release.

Plus, alert banners are the cherry on top of the recent updates to 1Password mini. Alert banners will also display, including notifications when 1Password automatically updates, so you’ll always know when we’ve served up some new 1Password goodies.

Check out the change log for a complete menu of the changes, improvements and fixes, including these three faves of mine: 1Password mini now dismisses itself after you copy a field value, there are several accessibility improvements for folks using screen readers, and you’ll experience smoother scrolling. I know several of these were long awaited features, so I’m stoked to see them make their appearance in this update. I also have some fantastic news for those wondering about another long-awaited feature …

Beyond 1Password 6 for Windows

In addition to these cool new features, we also have an announcement to make about what’s next for 1Password for Windows. 1Password 6 was created from scratch in order to use the latest and greatest technologies Microsoft had to offer. Recreating seven years worth of development in a fraction of that time was an incredibly tall order, so we decided to focus on 1Password Teams and memberships. It’s been an exciting journey and we’re delighted that so many of you have joined us on this path, but it’s now time to start thinking about our next adventure: 1Password 7.

With this release, we finally have enough visibility to chart a course for the future, so we’re happy to announce that standalone vaults will be an available entree on the menu in 1Password 7 for Windows. 1Password 7 will be free with your 1Password membership, but if memberships aren’t for you, paid licenses will also be available.

Although we’re looking ahead to 1Password 7, 1Password 6 is not done just yet. We’ll be serving up a few more tasty treats in the coming months, so save room for dessert. Then, strap on your hiking boots and join us as we set out on this new adventure – and burn off some of those extra calories along the way, too. 😉

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Fabiha
    Fabiha says:

Will 1Password 7 for Windows work with 1Password 6 for Mac standalone vaults? And more specifically, can it use iCloud sync? I know this has been asked for for several years now.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Fabiha! Those are both great questions! 1Password 7 for Windows is still in the planning stages, so I don’t know if standalone vaults in 1Password 7 for Windows will be able to sync with 1Password 6 for Mac. Historically, we’ve maintained some backwards compatibility between versions, but we do periodically update database architecture. We’ll have to see where we’re at when 1Password 7 is ready to be released. I’m sure we’ll give y’all a rundown of how the various versions of the apps will work together when the time comes. 🙂

As for iCloud sync, 1Password uses Apple’s CloudKit to sync your vaults via iCloud. Currently, Apple doesn’t support CloudKit on Windows, so we aren’t able to add iCloud sync to 1Password for Windows. We’re still working out the details for 1Password 7 for Windows, including what sync methods will be supported, so I suppose anything is possible but I can’t make any promises just yet. Thanks for the feedback and we’ll certainly keep it in mind as we get closer to releasing 1Password 7. 🙂

• Matt S.
      Matt S. says:

Kate,
      I am just reading through these comments now, and your statement isn’t 100% true. While it’s true that Apple doesn’t have a Windows SDK for CloudKit, they do have the REST API available which y’all are actually using in https://github.com/agilebits/AgileCloudSDK

So, it would probably be a ton of work to port it to windows, but there is a path forward :)

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Matt! You may be right! I definitely try to get a decent understanding of the inner workings, but I have to stop short of digging into the code so it’s always possible I oversimplified a bit. I fear if I didn’t, I’d run out of brain space pretty darn quick. 😉 That said, sync is being built from scratch for 1Password 7 along with everything else standalone vaults need so it’s totally up in the air for now what sync methods will be supported. It may well be that everything changes, but I don’t know anything more than you do at this point so we’ll both have to wait and see.🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Matt and Fabiha! We’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows that should have some answers for both of you. 😊 Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

Kate Sebald says:

Aw! You’re welcome, Oh Really! We ❤️ you too! I’ll be sure to pass your thanks along to the team. Thank YOU for the love and I look forward to drizzling some of that awesome sauce on your standalone vaults when 1Password 7 for Windows is released. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Oh Really! We’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows with a healthy dose of that awesome sauce you asked for. 😊 Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

Kate Sebald says:

No, Kristian, YOU’RE really great.❤️ I was delighted to finally be able to make this announcement as it was a bit of a struggle to keep it to myself for the few days before this blog post was ready. One of the great benefits of having such an awesome Windows development team churning out cool new features for 1Password 6 is that we were able to reach that happy place where we can start planning for the future. It will be a thrill to share 1Password 7 with all of our Windows customers when it’s ready for prime time.🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Kristian! We’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows you’ll think is even greater than the announcement we made here. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

2. Arcsech
    Arcsech says:

Hooray! And all it took was months of customer anger, outcry from the security community, and alienation of a bunch of your customers!

I’m seriously very happy to hear that you’re going to keep local vault support and standalone licenses going forward though. I’m glad you made the right decision there.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Arcsech! All it took was time. I’ve had to bite my tongue when asked about any number of features folks have really wanted because they just weren’t ready yet and I’m sure I’ll have to do it again down the road. Believe me, if we’d been able to make this announcement earlier, I’d have been delighted. It’s tough to tell folks with very real and valid concerns that we just can’t address them yet. I will gladly share unpopular news when needed as y’all deserve honesty from us, but knowing I’m doing the right thing doesn’t make it any easier.❤️

Of course, y’all have been extremely kind and patient despite my having to share unpopular news the past couple weeks. Knowing that you’re happy about the future makes me a much happier 1Password Maker. Our Windows development team worked extremely hard to get us to the point where we are able to make this sort of announcement and I know they appreciate seeing your happy thoughts as well. Thank you for being so patient and for sticking with us. I look forward to sharing 1Password 7 with you, our other standalone customers and our 1Password membership customers when the time comes. It will be a great feeling to have us all experiencing everything the latest 1Password has to offer together.🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Arcsech! We’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows you won’t want to miss. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

3. Adam
    Adam says:

I would like to thank you for this “so we’re happy to announce that standalone vaults will be an available entree on the menu in 1Password 7 for Windows.”

I stand ready with Cash in Hand!

Kate Sebald says:

Hey now, Adam, we still have to build 1Password 7, but if you’re giving money away … 😉

On a more serious note, thank you for your patience and understanding as we worked on 1Password 6. It will be an absolute delight to share that work with all of our Windows customers in 1Password 7. Hold onto that cash a bit longer and we’ll let you know when 1Password 7 is ready to meet the world.❤️ 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Doug! That’s a great question! 1Password 7 for Windows will support Dropbox sync if you purchase a standalone license. A lot of pricing questions are still up in the air, though, and there may be other options that allow Dropbox sync as well. We just haven’t pinned down all the details yet. We’ll be able to share more as we get closer to release and are able to discuss some of these details more in-depth. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Doug! We’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows that should clear up some questions for you. 😊 Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

4. Jason
    Jason says:

This is great! I can finally get off 1Password 4. Love the product, absolutely hated the subscription and cloud push and that stopped me from ever upgrading to 6. Was actively looking at alternative products.

Really happy you guys changed your minds on this! Now the countdown until 7 can begin : )

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Jason! We truly hadn’t made up our minds about the timing of an upgrade for standalone vaults. We’ve known for a long time we wanted to offer one, but since we did need to build a new Windows app to allow folks purchasing a 1Password membership to use 1Password on Windows, it threw a bit of a wrench into things. This was a good lesson to learn, though, as the experience has definitely made us better planners. I’m glad 1Password 4 for Windows has served you well thus far, and I look forward to sharing all of the work we’ve done on 1Passowrd 6 with you in 1Password 7. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Jason! Since I know you were eager for news, I figured you’d like to know we’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

5. Mike B
    Mike B says:

Super happy (and relieved) that you guys will be bringing back standalone licenses for version 7. Always been happy to pay for major releases. Much respect for listening to your customers – we wouldn’t have complained 1PW wasn’t worth keeping!

Hey, Mike B!

We wouldn’t have complained 1PW wasn’t worth keeping!

This is an excellent point and one that we should definitely be keeping in mind. There is a compliment hidden in every criticism. Providing feedback takes time and effort from y’all and we really do appreciate y’all taking time to share that feedback, even when it’s critical. After all, free time is a precious commodity to all of us and I’m sure you have some more enjoyable ways you could spend yours. So, in that spirit, thank you for spending some of your leisure time providing your honest feedback for us. We really are always listening, even when we aren’t able to act on that feedback right away. I’ll do my best to keep your excellent point in mind next time I find myself getting a bit flustered. We often say we think of our customers as family and families do have tiffs now and again, after all.😉

I’m super happy that you’re now super happy. Thank your for your patience as we worked to get to a place where we were able to make this announcement and I’m looking forward to sharing our hard work on 1Password 6 with you in 1Password 7.❤️ 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Mike B! We’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows you won’t want to miss. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Dawn! We never will forget about y’all.❤️ It’s in the nature of software development to pull us in 20 different directions at once so our focus is constantly shifting, but we still remember our roots no matter what we’re working on. Getting to share our hard work on 1Password 6 with our standalone customers in 1Password 7 will be like taking an old friend on a tour of our new home. I’m really looking forward to it.🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Dawn! In case you thought we actually had forgotten about you, I thought you’d like to know we’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows that should make you pretty happy. Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

6. John
    John says:

This is good news. I’m glad you have finally listened to your customers’ concerns about standalone vaults and the importance of it to some of us.

However, similar statements were made for 1Password 6 for Windows with respect to standalone vaults and well, we all see how that turned out. I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m looking forward to the new version (at a fair price) and hope that you guys stick to your word this time.

(And hopefully this will tone down the rabid pushing of customers towards the cloud service too.)

Kate Sebald says:

Hey John! We’ve been listening the whole time, but unlike with 1Password 6, we wanted to make absolutely sure we’d be able to deliver on this announcement before we made it. We absolutely believed we were going to include standalone vault support in 1Password 6 for Windows, but we got a bit ahead of ourselves in what we shared with our customers, especially since we building 1Password 6 from scratch.

Making promises about the future is always a bit risky. Software development is often unpredictable. We’ve seen unexpected obstacles pop up more than once and I’m sure it will happen again. This effect is only amplified when you’re building something completely new. For this exact reason, we’ve been extremely cautious about discussing the future of 1Password for Windows and I’ve always made efforts to talk about what we’d like to do rather than what we will do. I’m glad we’ve now reached a place where I can say we will release an upgrade for our standalone vault customers, which is a wonderful feeling. It’s an even better feeling knowing that we’ll have the time and resources available to stay true to our word.🙂

As a quick note about memberships, this announcement won’t stop us from nudging folks towards memberships. We still love them and think they’re the best option for most. As I’ve said before, though, that doesn’t mean you need to share our opinion and, ultimately, the best option for you is the one you’re most comfortable with. If you e-mail us, there’s always a chance we’ll bring up memberships. After all, we can’t read your mind (yet 😉) and we’re only trying to share the love and all available options. Choice always has been an still is very important to us. We hope we one day make 1Password memberships so undeniably awesome that you’ll happily choose to make the switch, but we never want to force you to do so.❤️

Ok, maybe that wasn’t exactly quick. Sorry! Either way, I look forward to sharing all of the hard work we’ve put into 1Password 6 with you in 1Password 7, whether you decide to make the switch one day or not.🙂

• John
      John says:

Fair enough, but I hope you guys realize that even though you guys say you were listening, it didn’t feel that way for the last couple of weeks and that’s why some of your customers felt betrayed.

I have no problem with you guys offering subscriptions and a cloud service, but as long you guys give customers a choice moving forward as you have stated, you will have a customer in me. I’m ok with you guys constantly nudging me towards a subscription but you also need to be ok with me constantly nudging you guys to actually start showing all available purchase options again and providing the pros and cons of each, so that customers can make an informed purchasing decision. Deal? 😉

I absolutely hate the way you guys make it as difficult as possible now to find information about and buy the standalone versions. Transparency and integrity is very important to me, especially in a security company I am trusting with some of my most private data. The way some of the purchase options are obfuscated on your site just leaves a bad taste. Please take this into consideration moving forward.

Anyway, I’ll leave it at that…for now. I’m happy that you have provided some clarity about the future. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me and I hope you have a good day.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey John! Showing that we’re listening when we can’t always act on feedback right away is a tall order and I’m sure I’ve fallen short at times. It’s easy for me to say, “We want to do this, we’re just not there yet,” but I know it’s difficult for y’all to take comfort from such a statement. I hope you can understand that it was a commitment to honesty that held back this announcement. It would have been easier on us, in many ways, to make that commitment early and sweep the criticism under the rug, but we truly weren’t sure where standalone vaults fit on the road map a few weeks ago, which meant such a commitment would have been disingenuous at best. The honest answer was that we weren’t sure, even if that answer was unpopular.

As for ease of access to standalone licenses and vaults, they are available on the setup screen in 1Password 6 for Mac alongside 1Password memberships. Select your existing sync method if you’re adding a new device or new customers can select Create a Standalone Vault under More Options.

As for highlighting both on the website, we did try that and found it caused more confusion than anything else, particularly for our 1Password membership customers. Folks would be trying to set up sync when they didn’t need to, or they’d purchase a license thinking they were purchasing a membership both of which caused understandable frustration. We love that we offer options so that our customers can choose what works best for them, but we do need to balance visibility against the potential for customer confusion.

We’ve tried to strike this balance by providing documentation specific to standalone vaults where it’s needed (about syncing, for example) and by designing the setup flow for the apps to address all available options. This isn’t a perfect solution, but it has helped alleviate much of that confusion and we’re always willing to lend an extra hand when needed. Creating a positive user experience is a process, though, and conversations like these are one of the most important pieces of that puzzle, so I’ll never begrudge you any nudging of your own. Thanks for your feedback and always feel free to nudge away. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey John! We’ve just made an exciting announcement about 1Password for Windows I hope will put your concerns to rest once and for all. 😊 Come check it out, and if you have any questions, join us for a chat in the comments!💖🔐

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »