1Password living on the [Microsoft] Edge

I’ve long been curious about Microsoft Edge. It’s fast, light-weight, and much more secure than the Internet Explorer of my childhood. It had everything you look for in a browser … except 1Password support. Today that changes!

Thanks to the hard work of the Microsoft Edge and Windows Store teams, along with our own Windows team, I’m excited to announce that 1Password now has a lovely new home right on your Microsoft Edge toolbar. 🎉

Boldly go where no Login item has gone before

To bring your items with you to explore Microsoft Edge, first make sure you have 1Password 6.7 or later installed and set up. Then, head to the Windows Store and grab the 1Password extension. Open Microsoft Edge, enable the 1Password extension, and enjoy saving new Login items, opening and filling in Microsoft Edge from 1Password mini, filling addresses and credit card details, and easy access to the Strong Password Generator, just like you’ve come to know and love. If you’re still using an older version of 1Password, you can follow this handy guide to migrate your existing data to the latest version of 1Password to get ready to seek out new frontiers in Microsoft’s latest browser.

Hello dark mode, my old friend

As you’re working your own 1Password magic in Microsoft Edge, don’t forget to check out my favorite feature: its super-sleek dark mode. I love how it turns your 1Password extension icon into a lovely point of light on your toolbar and it’s perfect for late-night browsing.  Let the stars next to your favorites light up Microsoft Edge and help guide you to your most loved websites at the click of a Login item. Of course, if a different vision has been planted in your brain, the extension icon looks right at home in light mode too. 😉

To the Edge and beyond!

As stoked as we are about 1Password coming to Microsoft Edge, this is only the beginning and some finishing touches are coming in future releases. Support for keyboard shortcuts to fill logins and some tweaks to how mini lets you know you’re filling in Edge are included with the latest 1Password 6 for Windows beta. Additional improvements for filling on certain sites will also be addressed down the road.

Currently, the 1Password extension in Microsoft Edge requires 1Password 6.7 for Windows or later and a 1Password membership. We will be expanding Edge availability in future releases but if you’d like to enjoy using Edge sooner than later, now is a great time to give a 1Password membership a try. In addition to early access, there are many other benefits and it’s free for 30 days!

I hope you enjoy saving and filling in Microsoft Edge and, as always, we love seeing your feedback in our support forum. 😊

1. Sergey Galich
    Sergey Galich says:

Hey, I just wanted to pop in and give a big thanks to the Microsoft Edge and Windows Store teams. They were always there to lend a hand and help things move as quickly as possible. It was great to be able to work with them directly and they really helped 1Password and Edge reach happily ever after. ❤️

Serg

2. CuriousOne75 (@Knopperz)
    CuriousOne75 (@Knopperz) says:

Doesnt work for me… once i activate the 1Password extension in Edge…the Icon shows up. Nothing happens when i click it… and after a while is disappears / deactivates again. Hmmm….

Kate Sebald says:

Hey @Knopperz! That’s no good! Do you see any change in behavior when you restart Edge? If not, something similar did happen to me one time following a Windows update and I needed to manually reactivate all of my extensions, so that’s worth a go as well. Click the 3 dots in the upper right-hand corner and select Extensions and make sure 1Password is showing as enabled. Let me know if you’re still having trouble. Thanks!

Kate Sebald says:

Boo urns! I’m sorry you’re having to wait on giving Edge a try because of this! Blog comments aren’t the best place for back-and-forth so I’m going to shoot you an e-mail from our support system asking for some additional info. We’ll keep things going over there and see what we can do to get Edge working for you. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey James! It’s no problem at all! We’re super excited about 1Password coming to Edge and this is only the beginning, so definitely stay on the lookout for improvements. We’ve already got some improvements in the pipeline and are working on more every day. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

I’m glad it working smoothly for you, Kristian! It was a lot of work, but we’re really proud of how Edge and 1Password have come together and are grateful for the folks at Microsoft’s help in getting the extension out the door. Enjoy and, if you do have any feedback or suggestions, we’re all ears. 🙂

3. Don Nash
    Don Nash says:

Awesome news. I’ve been using Edge, but not with any sites which require a login. It’ll be great to switch to it full time to see how well it works in more situations.

We will be expanding Edge availability in future releases

Nicely done. :-)

BTW, are you really old enough to be channeling Simon and Garfunkel? ;-P

++Don

• Benji Debnam
      Benji Debnam says:

Thank you very much, Don! As you can probably tell, we are super proud to have Microsoft Edge support with 1Password.
      I’ve only paid a small part in this release from a design point of view. I have however been lucky enough to witness the sheer epic amount of development that our mindblowingly (new made up word for the day!) skilled developers have accomplished. Now, as for Simon and Garfunkel, they are timeless – and the 60’s have given our ears a lot to be thankful for! Thanks again, Don for your kind words!

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Don! I should have known you’d notice what we did there! 😉 And, while I’m not old enough to have been around during the heyday of Simon & Garfunkel, I grew up on classic rock all the same. My childhood soundtrack was Simon & Garfunkel, the Beatles, the Eagles and Pink Floyd, among many others. Benji is absolutely right, The Sound of Silence is a timeless masterpiece and if referencing it makes me sound old, well, I’m happy to buy a rocking chair and accept my fate. 😉

I hope you enjoy using 1Password in Microsoft Edge and, should you have any feedback, we’re all ears. 👂

4. Marc
    Marc says:

Hi,

Does 1Password 6 for Windows beta already allow editing local Vaults or is this the version that demands uploading vaults to US servers?

Thank you.

• Benji Debnam
      Benji Debnam says:

Hey there, Marc! Great question!
      You might recall our recent blog post for 1Password 6.7 for Windows when we were able to share the exciting news about standalone vault support coming with 1Password 7 for Windows. We’re looking forward to what the future holds, but for now 1Password 6 for Windows and our Extension for Microsoft Edge is for our 1Password membership holders. Cheers!

• Marc
      Marc says:

Hi Benji,

Thanks. I was thinking about that blog post, yes, but was hoping the current betas were already heading towards 1Password 7.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Marc! Technically, everything we’re doing and everything we’ve ever done is heading towards 1Passowrd 7. 😉 Joking aside, like 1Password 6 itself, support for standalone vault for 1Password 7 is being built from scratch, so it’s no small task. We’re getting closer every day, but not quite close enough to make any specific announcements just yet. Soon, I hope! We’re all on the … Edge of our seats (sorry, sometimes I can’t help myself). 😊

Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Kamila! We are still working on bringing some features of the 1Password extension in other browsers to Microsoft Edge, but most of what you do in Firefox and Chrome is already there and should be working fine. If you’re having a particular problem using 1Password in Microsoft Edge, let us know. We’d be happy to take a look for you and help get things running properly for you. 😊

5. William Porter
    William Porter says:

Had no trouble installing 1Password extension from the Windows store and it seems to work fine. (Not as full featured as 1Password for macOS but I understand that’s coming.) Glad to have it as I do like Edge when I have to work in Windows!

Kate Sebald says:

Hey William! Edge has been a bit of an adventure since we did need to do things a bit differently, but we enjoyed the chance to try new things and are looking forward to more to come. I’m glad it’s working well for you, and I hope we are one day able to give MacOS a run for its money. 😉

6. Ariane
    Ariane says:

Nice, the best browser when use touch screen, still waiting for local vault (1Password 7).

BTW: The introduce image and text in extension introduce page is blurry on HiDPI monitor

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Ariane! I’m glad you’re excited 1Password is coming to Microsoft Edge! We’ve spent a lot of time working on it and are just about as excited as can be that y’all finally get to check it out. 1Password 7 is the Next Big Thing, so nearly all of our focus is there now and we hope we’ll have some more news to share before too long. 😊

Are you referring to images in the Windows Store here, or the pop-up letting you know to install 1Password 6 in order to use the Edge extension? If any of this is on the Store itself, I’m not sure how much we can do to fix that, but if you can point me in the right direction, I can pass it along to our design team for further investigation. Thanks for letting us know! 👍

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Jx! You’re not crazy. Keyboard shortcuts in Microsoft haven’t been implemented yet in the stable version of 1Password 6 for Windows, but they are available in the current beta! Feel free to give it a try. Keyboard shortcuts in Edge is only one of the many new features you can check out. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Great question! 1Password 6 isn’t included with your 1Password 4 license, so auto-update won’t prompt you to update to 1Password 6. After all, we don’t like to nag you. 1Password is there to help make your online life easier, not to pester you to upgrade. Of course, if you’d like to take advantage of 1Password 6, the Edge extension, and all the other awesome features of a 1Password account, switch to a 1Password membership. It’s free for 30 days and includes all future upgrades, so you’ll never have to worry about whether you’ve purchased the latest version again. You just install upgrades and enjoy. 🙂

7. JLP
    JLP says:

Just installed the 1Password extension on Edge. I have the icon next to the address bar, but NOTHING happens when I click on it. What’s up with that? Why does it work for some people and not for others? Am I missing something?

Kate Sebald says:

Hey JLP! Most commonly this happens when 1Password 6 was not running when you opened Edge. If 1Password 6 is already open, close Edge, wait a few seconds, and restart it to see if that gets things up and running. If none of this works, shoot us an e-mail. We’ve run into a few instances where folks had a problem with Edge itself or a third-party program was getting in the way of it connecting with the main app, but these sorts of things are easier to hunt down when we can grab some logs from you and, alas, no one seems to have come up with an awesome way to do that in a blog comment thread. Until that next big thing lands, we’re always happy to take a look and figure out what’s causing problems for you via e-mail. 🙂