1Password 7 for iOS: Efficiency Abounds

Hello and happy November, everyone! We’ve long anticipated this day here at AgileBits. After months of hard work, 1Password 7 for iOS is now available on iOS 11.

The very first step in the journey that brought us to this point was taken back in June, shortly after the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference. Before a single line of code was written, before a single new screen was designed, we set a single goal for this update: efficiency. Along the way, we also added a few more features, like support for iPhone X and Face ID, and we’re excited to finally share it all with you.

As our release notes say, this is the greatest version of 1Password for iOS we have ever shipped, so let’s dive in, shall we?

iPhone X and Face ID

On September 12th, like many of you, everyone here at AgileBits was glued to their screens watching Apple’s keynote from the beautiful Steve Jobs Theater at the new Apple Park campus. The announcement of iPhone X was already exciting, but the introduction of Face ID was like Christmas for us. We knew right away that we’d move heaven and earth to be there on launch day with Face ID support.

We began working immediately to make sure that 1Password worked perfectly on iPhone X. Apple was smart and made Face ID work wherever Touch ID already does, so technically we didn’t need to do anything. But that’s not the way we roll.

We completely optimized the lock screen for Face ID. Matt Davey, who led the design effort, blew the doors off with this one. 🙂

My iPhone X is set to arrive tomorrow, and I can’t wait to install 1Password and step into the future.

Quick Copy

In a perfect world, every developer would be as awesome as these folks and take five minutes to add support for 1Password to their app. But because we don’t live in a perfect world, signing in to another app sometimes used to mean you needed to:

1. Open 1Password.
  2. Find the Login you need.
  3. Copy your username.
  4. Switch back to the app where you need it.
  5. Paste your username.
  6. Switch back to 1Password.
  7. Copy your password.
  8. Switch back to the app where you need it.
  9. Paste the password.

And if you needed the one-time password for that app, there were four more steps after that. Yeesh!

In 1Password 7, copying is now done automatically. After you copy your username and paste it in another app, switching back to 1Password will automatically copy your password. And it’s the same with one-time passwords. Switch back one more time, and they’re copied automatically, too.

You can learn more about Quick Copy on our lovely support site.

Favorites

There’s no faster way to access an item than by adding it as a favorite. At least, that’s what we used to think. In 1Password 7, I’m happy to say that we’ve done better. Way better.

Now, when you tap an item in Favorites, you’ll see all the details you want to copy in a beautiful array of bubbles. Simply tap on any one of the bubbles to copy its value to the clipboard. Not only that, but items on the Favorites list participate in Quick Copy as well!

The Key to a Great App

iOS has wonderful support for external keyboards, and I’m happy to report that now 1Password does, too. If you’re one of our keyboard warriors, make sure you give it a try. 1Password 7 includes keyboard shortcuts for searching, switching tabs, opening and filling items, and more.

Go Speed Racer

Big, new features are awesome, but we didn’t stop there. We dug deep to unearth some truly fantastic perfomance increases for this update as well. 1Password now unlocks 33% faster and has seen a 400% increase in stability throughout. We also made some improvements to our password generator to make it much more responsive and easier to use.

Wrapping It Up In a Pretty Package

No major update would be complete without a fresh coat of paint on the user interface. 1Password 7 sports a beautiful new icon with a gorgeous gradient on the lock ring. That color scheme carries through to the lock screen where, if you let it sit for a few seconds, you’ll notice a gentle “happiness vortex” animation take place as the colors go for a spin.

Many of you use the 1Password extension to sign in to websites directly in Safari or other third-party apps. The next time you do, you’ll see the extension received a fantastic visual update as well!

We’ve also overhauled the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen with some new iconography and a better layout. Coupled with the aforementioned new look for Favorites, our beloved iOS app has never looked better.

And the Hits Keep Coming

Check out the 1Password for iOS release notes for a full account of everything we’ve crammed into 1Password 7, but I wanted to close out with a few more of my top picks:

• If you register a new fingerprint with Touch ID, 1Password will require your Master Password the next time you open it.
  • You can now delete multiple items at once. Swipe down from the top of an item list, select the items you want to remove, then tap Delete.
  • Recently used items appear in Favorites for easy access.
  • Saving a new Login now informs you that the password for that Login has been copied to the clipboard.
  • An advanced security setting allows you to use a PIN code to unlock 1Password, even on devices that support Touch ID or Face ID.

Whew! Are you still with me? If so, well done! If you haven’t already done so, go download 1Password 7 now and tell us what your favorite new feature is.

Until next time!

1. Thomas
    Thomas says:

Great announcement. But where is 7.0 hidden?
    No automatic update. It says 7.0 in the comments in the App store but does nort give any option for download.

Please help

Thomas

• Michael Fey
      Michael Fey says:

Hey there Thomas, thanks for the kudos! 7.0 is an update to 1Password 6.9. As long as you’re running iOS 11 you should see it pop up straight away.

2. Richard
    Richard says:

Can’t wait to try the updates on my newer iPhone and Mac but I have an old iPad 2 (not iOS 11) and an older 2009 Mac Pro (MacOS 10.11 I think). I purchased these apps (not on the subscription service). I sync them via Dropbox.

Am I going to have any problems with this setup?

Thanks
    Richard

• Michael Fey
      Michael Fey says:

Hey there Richard. You shouldn’t have any problems with this setup. 1Password 7 will continue to sync with your vault on Dropbox and your older devices should continue to work as well as they do today.

3. Thomas
    Thomas says:

Hi Michael,
    it was made available as a download just a couple of minutes ago, but not earlier. Funny: the text in the app store was on 7.0 but the software still on 6.9.
    And yes I am running 11.x

Have a great weekend
    Thomas

4. Nedzad
    Nedzad says:

when there will be the macOS update? Thanks for super work guys. Really love 1password more and more. I already conviced my whole family + my wifes family etc. to use 1password. Cheers, Nedzad

• Michael Fey
      Michael Fey says:

Good afternoon, Nedzad! Thanks so much for the kind words, and kudos on getting your family on board! We have nothing to announce about updates to 1Password for Mac at this time, but that doesn’t mean that we haven’t been working on 1Password for Mac. 😉

5. Victor Nicola
    Victor Nicola says:

Seroously Guys! 4.5 euro’s monthly? Have you lost it somewhere? You probably just lost huge chunk of your loyal customers.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Victor! 1Password memberships are a full-service hosted solution for your 1Password data. Syncing happens automatically via our secure servers, all updates are included (now and forever, across all platforms), plus your account comes with a complete Item History backup and cool features made possible by our sync service like Travel Mode and simplified sharing. Plus, if you’re purchasing a Mac license alone, you’ve already paid for about 16 months of a 1Password membership. If you choose an annual subscription, you’ve paid for 21 months. Add in other platforms and you’re quickly paying an amount that could buy you two years of a 1Password membership, or more.

Ultimately, a 1Password membership may come at a bit of a premium for you, but many still find so much value in the extra features that it’s clearly worth it. 1Password memberships are meant to be hands-off. You set everything up and forget about it – from there, 1Password takes care of syncing, saving, filling and much more. That peace of mind is extremely valuable to many of our customers, both new and long-term license holders. Of course, if it’s not for you, standalone licenses will still be available for 1Password 7 (and the iOS app is a free update), but I’d still encourage you to give a 1Password membership a try. They’re free for 30 days and you may just find that they’re worth every cent.🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Richard! We never like to hear that your are unable to improve your online security because of cost. There are a number of ways to use 1Password and the cost does differ depending on what you choose. I’d love to talk to you about what you’re looking for in a password manager over e-mail. This will give us an opportunity to see if we can’t balance meeting those needs with your budget. If you’re interested, send us an e-mail to support@agilebits.com and feel free to mention me by name. We’ll see what we can do to help. 🙂

6. Lisa K
    Lisa K says:

1Password 7 requires iOS 11. This just came out a bit more than a month ago. There should be absolutely no need to be requiring iOS 11 at this time. This cuts paying subscribers from new features, like myself. A lot of people are still using iPhone 5’s and older iPads that can’t update to iOS 11. Others may not want to update to iOS 11 yet, due to bugs. Please add back support for iOS 10.x. Otherwise, I may have to reconsider my subscription if I can’t take full advantage of it.

• Michael Fey
      Michael Fey says:

Hi there Lisa. Thanks for taking the time to leave us some feedback, I really appreciate it. I’m sorry that you’re unable to install our latest update on all of your devices. 1Password 7 does indeed require iOS 11 and adding support for iOS 10 isn’t planned at this time. Happily your older devices will continue to work with 1Password and with your 1Password.com subscription just as they did prior to this update. And as you upgrade your devices this update will be waiting for you. We strive to always target the latest versions of iOS to ensure we can take advantage of the latest updates and security fixes that Apple has to offer.

7. Ben
    Ben says:

Hey guys, love 1Password and the new update looks great. My only issue is with the new favorites tab. You used to be able to swipe right on an item to quickly copy the password. Now you have to tap to open the sub menu, scroll past the instructional text and username, then tap to copy. It feels like a step down in terms of usability.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Ben! If you’re only looking to copy a password (without the username), I can definitely see how this might slow you down a bit. A large motivator behind redesigning the favorites menu was simplifying the process for folks looking to sign in to an app that doesn’t support the 1Password extension, in which case this is a significant improvement. Copy username is right there and you don’t need to tap copy password since it’s handled automatically.

That said, I definitely have a few apps and sites that remember my username for me (but not my password) where quickly copying my password would be valuable. You can still swipe right on an item and tap to copy the password outside of your favorites tab. We’re also looking to add some more customization to the favorites tab itself in the future, so I’ll definitely pass along your feedback to the team. Thanks for sharing and I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying 1Password 7. 🙂

8. Eric1p
    Eric1p says:

Version 7 is a step backward for me. Secure notes with many (75+) items in a list now require an extra tap with this new version of Favourites. (Using 1Password for list of passwords in organisations, I have many long lists.) Scrolling left and right only works for items with very few entries. I would like to be able to go back to my very useful Favourites layout where one tap displayed a secure note vertically.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Eric! I’m not 100% certain I’m following what you’re talking about here, but it sounds like you’re using Secure Notes to organize your Logins by organization and are no longer able to see the full text of the note in the favorites view? I’ve not personally favorited a Secure Note before, so I went ahead and gave it a try and I see what you mean, especially lines are longer. It displays a bit awkwardly in landscape mode on my iPad. Giving it a ponder, the copy options really only make sense for Credit Cards and Login items, so perhaps we can make some improvements here. I’ll pass your feedback along to the team! 👍🏻

Also, out of curiosity, is there a reason you chose to save these items in a Secure Note instead of using Logins with tags/folders to organize them by organization? I know we each have our own way of doing things, but since my instinct here would be to use tags to organize these items rather than lumping them in a Secure Note, I’m curious why you chose Secure Notes instead. Is there something we could do to make tags work better for you?

Thanks for your feedback and if we can do anything else to help, we’re here for you. 😊

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Marlene! Good question! I have enough devices myself I often forget where to look in each. On Mac, open and unlock 1Password, and choose 1Password > About 1Password on the menubar. This will display a window including your version information. On both iPad and iPhone, you can unlock 1Password and tap Settings. The version will be displayed under the option to Review 1Password (or Recommend 1Password on earlier versions). Of course, if you’re having trouble finding your version, let us know. We’re happy to help. 🙂

9. Abby
    Abby says:

I have the old free version of 1Password, and now with the IOS 11 update, i can’t access it anymore…please help. i can’t log in to any of my critical apps and accounts./

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Abby! I’m sorry to hear upgrading to iOS 11 has caused you trouble! It sounds like you were using 1Password 3, which indeed will not work with iOS 11. You can find more information about this and some options for recovering your data here. 👍

10. Rafael
    Rafael says:

I have a quistion about this update and couldn’t find the answer yet.

If I copy my username and switch to the app I need it in by swiping the bottom of the screen on iPhone X it copies the password instead of the username. If I use swiping up and holding as method for switching between apps it does work.

Could the fast switching also be included in the new update or was this made like this intentionally?

Keep up the good work guys. Great app!

11. David Mishra
    David Mishra says:

I am using iOS 11.1 and that I installed 1Password 7 app in my phone, when I will try to open the app it will only show me white blank screen at startup and automatically close itself after few seconds. It’s just not working. Would appreciate if you can give me some solution to make it work Michael.

• Michael Fey
      Michael Fey says:

Hi David, thanks for getting in touch. I’m really sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this update! I think it might be best for us to take this issue to email so we can get it sorted out. Can you write in to support+ios@agilebits.com and mention me by name? You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Feel free to post that number here so I can track down the ticket quickly.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Tavi! The shortcut is still there, just not quite as obvious to save some real estate on smaller devices. Long press anywhere on the bottom bar (where you see Settings, etc.) and voila! 1Password browser. 🙂

• paddad
      paddad says:

Why remove a button that has been there for years? Press and hold on settings is not intuitive at all. Which smaller devices are you referring to? iPhone 4, 5? All of the devices released in the last 4 years have had larger screens, and device screens keep getting bigger.

For legacy devices with smaller screens (iPhone 5S and below), could you have a different screen layout that hides this button?

Kate Sebald says:

Hey peddad! The 5S and SE are the smallest able to get this update, if memory serves, but both have the same size screen as my trusty old 5C where I can say I wish I had that extra real estate. Of course, we understand that folks who use the browser often aren’t going to be terribly excited about this change and I’m sorry it’s been disruptive. Also, to clarify, the mention of settings was merely a symptom of me being unsure of what to call that bottom bar. Long pressing anywhere on that bar will do. ☺️

12. Alvaro
    Alvaro says:

Hello there. About version 7 on iOS, is new in this version that favourites list adds items that doesn’t belong in this list, but you have used. I don’t like/need it, is there any option to disable this? Keep going, Thanks.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Alvaro! This has been a surprisingly (to me anyway) polarizing feature. Those extra items are the three you’ve most recently used and it seems to be one folks either love or hate. There’s no way to disable this feature right now, but we’ve definitely listened to your feedback here and you’ll be able to customize how many recents appear in favorites in the next update. Hang tight for a bit and you’ll be able to remove them as soon as the next update is ready to go. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Aw, thanks Alvaro! We have some of the very best customers, if I do say so myself, so it’s only fair y’all get the best support. ❤️

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Tom! We hear you and controlling the number of recent items that show up on your Favorites list (including setting that number to zero) will be available in the next update. Once it makes its way to you, just tap on Settings > General and look for the ‘Recently Used Items’ setting. 😊

13. Attila
    Attila says:

I love the new app, but I seem to have a BIG disappointment with the in app browser. Whenever I switch task or if I use two apps simultaneously the browser quits in 1PW and 1PW returns to the login list screen. Without a browser button I have to hit the URL and start login again I cannot continue browsing where I left of like in the previous version. This is very anoyig and unpractical as I see it. I hope there will come a solution for this.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Attila! This should be fixed in the latest update of 1Password for iOS (7.0.1). Grab it if you haven’t already and let us know if you’re still running into trouble! ❤️ Also, if you ever need to pull up the 1Password browser without logging in to a new site, you can long press on the bottom bar with settings, etc. and it will pop right up. 😊

• Attila
      Attila says:

Thanks Kate, this fix seems to solve my problem. I missed the solution to bring up the browser and the long press is a good solution, however it is not really an obvious one. Without your suggestion I would’ve never try and find it…

Kate Sebald says:

Glad to have helped, Attila! We do know it isn’t terribly obvious, but I have to say I definitely see why our developers made this choice. I use 1Password for iOS on two devices an iPad and an iPhone 5c. The 5c can’t use 1Password 7, sadly, as it’s stuck on iOS 10, but being able to eliminate just one icon from that bottom bar would be amazing on that tiny screen. Alas, this change has only affected the device that doesn’t really need it, but I can at least be grateful on behalf of the 5S and SE users out there who hopefully fat finger fewer things with a tidier bottom bar. I’ll have to live vicariously through them until I can maybe pick up an SE myself. 😉

14. Alex
    Alex says:

6.9 was much better. This janky workaround for multitasking has actually ruined the way i use 1password on iOS. I use it purely as a reference. Tap a favorite item and all the info is right there for me to read. Now its a bunch of blanked out bubbles and I have to press a target zone to actually get to the information I want to see. I see I can 3d touch but that just locks up the app (i tweeted you a video showing this). To top it off you removed manual sorting of favorites. Like most people I sort my favorites alphabetically, well, I did anyway.

All in all, not an “upgrade” in my opinion.

• Michael Fey
      Michael Fey says:

Hey there Alex, thanks for getting in touch with some feedback. I’m sorry to hear that we’ve broken some of your 1Password workflow in 1Password 7. That certainly wasn’t our intent. I’ve just tested the peeking and popping to the item detail from the Favorites list and cannot get it to lock up, but I’m also using version 7.0.2, which we just released today. Assuming we’ve fixed that problem, a good hard press seems like a viable workaround to the extra tap it takes to get to the item detail.

As far as reordering your favorites goes, I understand your frustration completely. We’re tossing about some ideas on how to improve things, but I’ve got nothing to report yet. Again, thank you for reaching out, we really do appreciate it.