1Password 7 for iOS: Efficiency Abounds

Hello and happy November, everyone! We’ve long anticipated this day here at AgileBits. After months of hard work, 1Password 7 for iOS is now available on iOS 11.

The very first step in the journey that brought us to this point was taken back in June, shortly after the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference. Before a single line of code was written, before a single new screen was designed, we set a single goal for this update: efficiency. Along the way, we also added a few more features, like support for iPhone X and Face ID, and we’re excited to finally share it all with you.

As our release notes say, this is the greatest version of 1Password for iOS we have ever shipped, so let’s dive in, shall we?

iPhone X and Face ID

On September 12th, like many of you, everyone here at AgileBits was glued to their screens watching Apple’s keynote from the beautiful Steve Jobs Theater at the new Apple Park campus. The announcement of iPhone X was already exciting, but the introduction of Face ID was like Christmas for us. We knew right away that we’d move heaven and earth to be there on launch day with Face ID support.

We began working immediately to make sure that 1Password worked perfectly on iPhone X. Apple was smart and made Face ID work wherever Touch ID already does, so technically we didn’t need to do anything. But that’s not the way we roll.

We completely optimized the lock screen for Face ID. Matt Davey, who led the design effort, blew the doors off with this one. 🙂

My iPhone X is set to arrive tomorrow, and I can’t wait to install 1Password and step into the future.

Quick Copy

In a perfect world, every developer would be as awesome as these folks and take five minutes to add support for 1Password to their app. But because we don’t live in a perfect world, signing in to another app sometimes used to mean you needed to:

1. Open 1Password.
  2. Find the Login you need.
  3. Copy your username.
  4. Switch back to the app where you need it.
  5. Paste your username.
  6. Switch back to 1Password.
  7. Copy your password.
  8. Switch back to the app where you need it.
  9. Paste the password.

And if you needed the one-time password for that app, there were four more steps after that. Yeesh!

In 1Password 7, copying is now done automatically. After you copy your username and paste it in another app, switching back to 1Password will automatically copy your password. And it’s the same with one-time passwords. Switch back one more time, and they’re copied automatically, too.

You can learn more about Quick Copy on our lovely support site.

Favorites

There’s no faster way to access an item than by adding it as a favorite. At least, that’s what we used to think. In 1Password 7, I’m happy to say that we’ve done better. Way better.

Now, when you tap an item in Favorites, you’ll see all the details you want to copy in a beautiful array of bubbles. Simply tap on any one of the bubbles to copy its value to the clipboard. Not only that, but items on the Favorites list participate in Quick Copy as well!

The Key to a Great App

iOS has wonderful support for external keyboards, and I’m happy to report that now 1Password does, too. If you’re one of our keyboard warriors, make sure you give it a try. 1Password 7 includes keyboard shortcuts for searching, switching tabs, opening and filling items, and more.

Go Speed Racer

Big, new features are awesome, but we didn’t stop there. We dug deep to unearth some truly fantastic perfomance increases for this update as well. 1Password now unlocks 33% faster and has seen a 400% increase in stability throughout. We also made some improvements to our password generator to make it much more responsive and easier to use.

Wrapping It Up In a Pretty Package

No major update would be complete without a fresh coat of paint on the user interface. 1Password 7 sports a beautiful new icon with a gorgeous gradient on the lock ring. That color scheme carries through to the lock screen where, if you let it sit for a few seconds, you’ll notice a gentle “happiness vortex” animation take place as the colors go for a spin.

Many of you use the 1Password extension to sign in to websites directly in Safari or other third-party apps. The next time you do, you’ll see the extension received a fantastic visual update as well!

We’ve also overhauled the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen with some new iconography and a better layout. Coupled with the aforementioned new look for Favorites, our beloved iOS app has never looked better.

And the Hits Keep Coming

Check out the 1Password for iOS release notes for a full account of everything we’ve crammed into 1Password 7, but I wanted to close out with a few more of my top picks:

• If you register a new fingerprint with Touch ID, 1Password will require your Master Password the next time you open it.
  • You can now delete multiple items at once. Swipe down from the top of an item list, select the items you want to remove, then tap Delete.
  • Recently used items appear in Favorites for easy access.
  • Saving a new Login now informs you that the password for that Login has been copied to the clipboard.
  • An advanced security setting allows you to use a PIN code to unlock 1Password, even on devices that support Touch ID or Face ID.

Whew! Are you still with me? If so, well done! If you haven’t already done so, go download 1Password 7 now and tell us what your favorite new feature is.

Until next time!

1. Thomas
    Thomas says:

Great announcement. But where is 7.0 hidden?
    No automatic update. It says 7.0 in the comments in the App store but does nort give any option for download.

Please help

Thomas

• Michael Fey
      Michael Fey says:

Hey there Thomas, thanks for the kudos! 7.0 is an update to 1Password 6.9. As long as you’re running iOS 11 you should see it pop up straight away.

2. Richard
    Richard says:

Can’t wait to try the updates on my newer iPhone and Mac but I have an old iPad 2 (not iOS 11) and an older 2009 Mac Pro (MacOS 10.11 I think). I purchased these apps (not on the subscription service). I sync them via Dropbox.

Am I going to have any problems with this setup?

Thanks
    Richard

• Michael Fey
      Michael Fey says:

Hey there Richard. You shouldn’t have any problems with this setup. 1Password 7 will continue to sync with your vault on Dropbox and your older devices should continue to work as well as they do today.

3. Thomas
    Thomas says:

Hi Michael,
    it was made available as a download just a couple of minutes ago, but not earlier. Funny: the text in the app store was on 7.0 but the software still on 6.9.
    And yes I am running 11.x

Have a great weekend
    Thomas

4. Nedzad
    Nedzad says:

when there will be the macOS update? Thanks for super work guys. Really love 1password more and more. I already conviced my whole family + my wifes family etc. to use 1password. Cheers, Nedzad

• Michael Fey
      Michael Fey says:

Good afternoon, Nedzad! Thanks so much for the kind words, and kudos on getting your family on board! We have nothing to announce about updates to 1Password for Mac at this time, but that doesn’t mean that we haven’t been working on 1Password for Mac. 😉

5. Victor Nicola
    Victor Nicola says:

Seroously Guys! 4.5 euro’s monthly? Have you lost it somewhere? You probably just lost huge chunk of your loyal customers.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Victor! 1Password memberships are a full-service hosted solution for your 1Password data. Syncing happens automatically via our secure servers, all updates are included (now and forever, across all platforms), plus your account comes with a complete Item History backup and cool features made possible by our sync service like Travel Mode and simplified sharing. Plus, if you’re purchasing a Mac license alone, you’ve already paid for about 16 months of a 1Password membership. If you choose an annual subscription, you’ve paid for 21 months. Add in other platforms and you’re quickly paying an amount that could buy you two years of a 1Password membership, or more.

Ultimately, a 1Password membership may come at a bit of a premium for you, but many still find so much value in the extra features that it’s clearly worth it. 1Password memberships are meant to be hands-off. You set everything up and forget about it – from there, 1Password takes care of syncing, saving, filling and much more. That peace of mind is extremely valuable to many of our customers, both new and long-term license holders. Of course, if it’s not for you, standalone licenses will still be available for 1Password 7 (and the iOS app is a free update), but I’d still encourage you to give a 1Password membership a try. They’re free for 30 days and you may just find that they’re worth every cent.🙂

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Richard! We never like to hear that your are unable to improve your online security because of cost. There are a number of ways to use 1Password and the cost does differ depending on what you choose. I’d love to talk to you about what you’re looking for in a password manager over e-mail. This will give us an opportunity to see if we can’t balance meeting those needs with your budget. If you’re interested, send us an e-mail to support@agilebits.com and feel free to mention me by name. We’ll see what we can do to help. 🙂

6. Lisa K
    Lisa K says:

1Password 7 requires iOS 11. This just came out a bit more than a month ago. There should be absolutely no need to be requiring iOS 11 at this time. This cuts paying subscribers from new features, like myself. A lot of people are still using iPhone 5’s and older iPads that can’t update to iOS 11. Others may not want to update to iOS 11 yet, due to bugs. Please add back support for iOS 10.x. Otherwise, I may have to reconsider my subscription if I can’t take full advantage of it.

• Michael Fey
      Michael Fey says:

Hi there Lisa. Thanks for taking the time to leave us some feedback, I really appreciate it. I’m sorry that you’re unable to install our latest update on all of your devices. 1Password 7 does indeed require iOS 11 and adding support for iOS 10 isn’t planned at this time. Happily your older devices will continue to work with 1Password and with your 1Password.com subscription just as they did prior to this update. And as you upgrade your devices this update will be waiting for you. We strive to always target the latest versions of iOS to ensure we can take advantage of the latest updates and security fixes that Apple has to offer.

7. Ben
    Ben says:

Hey guys, love 1Password and the new update looks great. My only issue is with the new favorites tab. You used to be able to swipe right on an item to quickly copy the password. Now you have to tap to open the sub menu, scroll past the instructional text and username, then tap to copy. It feels like a step down in terms of usability.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Ben! If you’re only looking to copy a password (without the username), I can definitely see how this might slow you down a bit. A large motivator behind redesigning the favorites menu was simplifying the process for folks looking to sign in to an app that doesn’t support the 1Password extension, in which case this is a significant improvement. Copy username is right there and you don’t need to tap copy password since it’s handled automatically.

That said, I definitely have a few apps and sites that remember my username for me (but not my password) where quickly copying my password would be valuable. You can still swipe right on an item and tap to copy the password outside of your favorites tab. We’re also looking to add some more customization to the favorites tab itself in the future, so I’ll definitely pass along your feedback to the team. Thanks for sharing and I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying 1Password 7. 🙂

8. Eric1p
    Eric1p says:

Version 7 is a step backward for me. Secure notes with many (75+) items in a list now require an extra tap with this new version of Favourites. (Using 1Password for list of passwords in organisations, I have many long lists.) Scrolling left and right only works for items with very few entries. I would like to be able to go back to my very useful Favourites layout where one tap displayed a secure note vertically.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Eric! I’m not 100% certain I’m following what you’re talking about here, but it sounds like you’re using Secure Notes to organize your Logins by organization and are no longer able to see the full text of the note in the favorites view? I’ve not personally favorited a Secure Note before, so I went ahead and gave it a try and I see what you mean, especially lines are longer. It displays a bit awkwardly in landscape mode on my iPad. Giving it a ponder, the copy options really only make sense for Credit Cards and Login items, so perhaps we can make some improvements here. I’ll pass your feedback along to the team! 👍🏻

Also, out of curiosity, is there a reason you chose to save these items in a Secure Note instead of using Logins with tags/folders to organize them by organization? I know we each have our own way of doing things, but since my instinct here would be to use tags to organize these items rather than lumping them in a Secure Note, I’m curious why you chose Secure Notes instead. Is there something we could do to make tags work better for you?

Thanks for your feedback and if we can do anything else to help, we’re here for you. 😊

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Marlene! Good question! I have enough devices myself I often forget where to look in each. On Mac, open and unlock 1Password, and choose 1Password > About 1Password on the menubar. This will display a window including your version information. On both iPad and iPhone, you can unlock 1Password and tap Settings. The version will be displayed under the option to Review 1Password (or Recommend 1Password on earlier versions). Of course, if you’re having trouble finding your version, let us know. We’re happy to help. 🙂

9. Abby
    Abby says:

I have the old free version of 1Password, and now with the IOS 11 update, i can’t access it anymore…please help. i can’t log in to any of my critical apps and accounts./

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Abby! I’m sorry to hear upgrading to iOS 11 has caused you trouble! It sounds like you were using 1Password 3, which indeed will not work with iOS 11. You can find more information about this and some options for recovering your data here. 👍