1Password X: A look at the future of 1Password in the browser

“Wouldn’t it be cool if 1Password could do X?” is a question we often ask ourselves. The values for X are always changing, but some ideas come up again and again. Wouldn’t it be cool if…

• When you log in to a site, 1Password is right there on the page ready to fill?
  • You could use 1Password without downloading the app?
  • Linux users and Chrome OS users could join in on the fun?

Now 1Password can do all these and more. We call it 1Password X, and it’s our brand new, full-featured experience that runs entirely in your browser.

It’s super easy to set up, deploy, and use. It works everywhere Chrome works, including Linux and Chrome OS. And it’s a re-imagination of how 1Password works on the web.

X is for extension

Before we jump in, I want to address one thing you may be thinking: our X is a letter, not a version number. Our X is a hat tip to one of the most beloved features of 1Password, namely our 1Password extension.

The extension is what allows us to have the little 1Password icon in your browser toolbar. I call it our bread and butter, and I couldn’t live without it. 😊

1Password X builds on this experience and takes it to the next level. The most visible change you just saw above – your logins are now available directly within the webpage you are viewing!

It’s smart, too. 1Password anticipates what you need and shows you the options that are most relevant to your current task. If you are signing up for a new site, 1Password suggests a generated password for you right then and there.

You can also save your new login, name it, and pick which vault to store it in.

X is for Linux

One of the most popular requests of all time has been Linux support. In fact, the forum thread asking for Linux has over 75,000 views. That’s a lot of cold penguins. 🙂

Because 1Password X is a Chrome extension, it works everywhere Chrome is available, including Linux. In fact, we initially shared 1Password X exclusively with Linux users as we wanted to make sure we nailed it.

Tim, our chief sysadmin and “beardless keeper of keys and grounds” is a hardcore Linux evangelist who, until now, has had no other choice than to use Wine to run 1Password. Tim has been our toughest critic over the years for our lack of Linux support, and so far he’s been thrilled.

There’s still lots of work to do, but we have thousands of happy Linux users already enjoying 1Password X. And we can’t wait to invite all of the other penguins in out of the cold! 😘

X is for exceedingly powerful

1Password X has all of the power of a full-featured app. And because it connects directly to your 1Password account, everything you expect from 1Password is there – your vaults, your items, and all their details.

And we’ve sprinkled in some additional features to absolutely delight you:

• Keyboard navigation: We know this is a big one for power users, so we made sure everything can be done without lifting your fingers from the keyboard.
  • Smart search: Just start typing to find exactly what you need – ideal for when you have multiple logins for a site.
  • Perfect memory: 1Password remembers what you were doing last, whether you were in the middle of a search or looking at an item’s details.
  • One-time password filling: Your two-factor authentication codes are filled just like usernames and passwords.
  • Authentication dialog filling: If you ever see one those old-school HTTP authentication prompts, rest assured that 1Password can fill them.

My personal favourite has to be our amazing new search – I just start typing and my matching items appear automatically. I love it so much that filling one-time passwords had to take second factor place. It was close, though – only 30 seconds behind! 😃

X is for extra easy setup

Historically, we’ve needed to teach people how to first install and set up the app, and then take them out of the app to install the extension. With 1Password X, they’re one and the same. Just install it, enter your Master Password, and you’re in.

Because there’s no need to install a separate desktop app, deployment within team environments is as simple as can be. And by using multiple Chrome profiles, your team members can share the same machine while having access to their own 1Password data.

1Password X can even be installed on Chrome OS, which makes me super excited as now I can finally buy one of those lovely new Pixelbooks. 🤘

X is for Excelsior!

1Password X is a radical new way of using 1Password, but it’s not (yet) for everyone. It’s still in its early stages so some features are not yet available. For example, it’s not yet possible to customize generated passwords or use browsers like Safari, Firefox, and Edge.

But it is an exciting new way to use 1Password on the web, and for me, that outweighs any drawbacks. I’ve been using 1Password X exclusively for the last 6 months, and I couldn’t be happier.

So is 1Password X for you? If you’re running Linux or Chrome OS, you should jump right in. Or if you’re adventurous and enjoy the thrill of discovering new things while being on the cutting edge, then 1Password X is for you – it runs fine alongside the 1Password apps and extension you already use.

1Password X was designed for our hosted 1Password service and connects directly to your account. It is available in English, French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish and can be installed from the Chrome Web Store:

Install 1Password X

I hope you’re as excited about 1Password X as I am! Learn how to get started with 1Password X and join the discussion in the 1Password Support forum to let us know what you think! ❤️

Now let’s all go join Harold in that rocket ship and explore what’s possible! 😃 🚀

« Older Comments
  1. Vladimir H.
    Vladimir H. says:

Hello!

Is it hard to you to add Firefox 57+ support to 1Password X extension? New Firefox uses same WebExtensions API as Chrome, so (probably) it will not consume much time for you. Firefox is the first “default” option in Ubuntu, for example, so it may be good for Linux users to have choice, what browser to use with 1Password.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Vladimir! It’s less the difficulty (or lack thereof) keeping us from adding Firefox right away and moreso that the development team wants to take some time to polish features, rest a bit, and see how 1Password X does out in the wild before making any major changes. Chrome was a logical place to start as it covered multiple gaps (Linux and Chrome OS, along with computers where app installation is restricted), but we definitely want to bring 1Password X to other browsers in time. More choices will be coming for sure. 🙂

2. Brendan
    Brendan says:

Any tips for developers to support the one-time password filling on their sites? We have an internal Administration website that doesn’t autofill, and I’d love to make it so.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Brendan! Assuming you’re talking about TOTP codes stored in 1Password, these actually won’t autofill, so it’s not you, it’s us. How 1Password handles this is that when you fill on the site, your active TOTP code is copied to your clipboard automatically so that once the request for it pops up, you can just paste and sign in. Not automatic, but still super speedy and something I didn’t realized I wanted until I had it. So long as your internal site allows pasting into the TOTP field, you should be all set for 1Password to do it’s thing. I hope this helps, but if you have additional questions, let me know. 🙂

I’ll see your +1 and raise you a +10! 😃

Seriously though, Firefox (and Safari and Edge) will all be welcome additions. There are so many awesome browsers to choose from we’d be crazy not to support them – especially since the more browser diversity that exists the better the Internet will be. We’ll get there, we just need more time.

3. Ariane
    Ariane says:

I am totally don’t care about it. A password manager with local storage is more important to me, never in the cloud.

The latest version of 1Passowrd 6 for Windows was great, but… cloud only

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Ariane.

It’s great to hear you love your local vaults as it makes all the work we’re doing on 1Password 7 worth it! 🤘 I don’t have any specific details to share just yet but I can say that 1Password 7 will have all the awesome features in 1Password 6 as well as support for local vaults. 🎉

So please do keep an eye on our blog here for the upcoming 1Password 7 announcements. Hopefully soon! 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Pierre! Touch ID is one thing we really miss with 1Password X, too. We’d love to add it, but there aren’t any Chrome APIs available for Touch ID just yet. Indeed, even in Safari, we’d need to integrate with the desktop apps to support it. This is something we’d love to do down the road, but it’s a long-term goal for 1Password X. Our aim when building 1Password X was to avoid the need for a desktop app entirely, so we’ve focused our efforts on building something that provides a great 1Password experience on its own. Integrating with the desktop apps is definitely something we want to do one day, but if Touch ID is a requirement for you right now, you may be better served by sticking with the original 1Password extension for the time being. 🙂

4. Joshin Yamada
    Joshin Yamada says:

I have been a happy standalone app customer for many years, and I have recommended the app others through my consulting practice. I have to say that I appreciate your team’s openness and willingness to expand different options. I feel that you are doing a good job of keeping the app I bought and loved running well while providing exciting new features. I was reluctant to become a subscriber but I am feeling more interested after reading your responses to other posters in this thread.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Joshin! Thank you so much for your kind words! I really can’t properly express how much hearing that means to us. Much though I hate it, it really isn’t unreasonable to believe companies are out to get us these days, so I totally understand why people worry when we release a new feature that only works with a 1Password membership. I’m glad you feel we’re doing a good job of being transparent and communicating our goals. This is always our intention, but it’s often easier said than done so it’s nice to get a win on the front. 🙂

Dave named our forum topic for the 1Password X Beta 1Password X Explorers and I think that’s particularly apt, not just for 1Password X, but as a description of all of us here at AgileBits. We’re explorers trying everything we can (even if it’s a bit crazy sometimes) to make 1Password work the best it can for as many folks as possible. The best way to do that is to keep moving forward and trying those new things, no matter what, and 1Password X will be a wonderful place for all of us to explore. Thanks for your support over the years and I hope you do give a 1Password membership a try. You can find a guide to help you make the switch here. If you give it a go, be sure to come back and let us know what you think! 💗🤗

5. Armaan
    Armaan says:

Trying it out, and liking it so far. Feels much nicer than the old extension. Does this mean I can uninstall the desktop app?

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Armaan! Glad to hear you’re enjoying 1Password X! I’ll admit, I was a doubter at first having become accustomed to desktop apps, but one of my teammates recently helped me learn to navigate the whole thing with the keyboard and I think I’m in love now. If you’ve got everything you need in 1Password X, you can feel free to uninstall the desktop app. 1Password X does everything all on it’s own (with a little help from 1Password.com behind the scenes). Plus, if you ever decide you miss the classic 1Password experience, you can reinstall the desktop app, sign in again and get right back to where you started. Easy peasy. 👍🏻🙂

• Armaan
      Armaan says:

I found a reason to keep the desktop app installed: clearing the clipboard. Will the new extension be able to automatically clear passwords from the clipboard after a few seconds?

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Armaan! 1Password X can’t currently clear the clipboard and, in fact, the desktop apps won’t clear your clipboard when you copy a field from 1Password X either. 1Password X doesn’t talk to the desktop app at all, so 1Password for Windows and 1Password for Mac have no idea you’ve copied anything at all. We don’t have any specific plans to add clipboard clearing to 1Password X (after all, we want it to fill for you so you don’t ever need to copy) but it’s definitely a nice feature to have for when you do run into filling issues and I’ll certainly pass your feedback along to the team. 😊

6. EP
    EP says:

Sadly this does not seem to work very well with multiple accounts.
    Once I add two different accounts (both are team accounts) everything works just fine…that is until one of them gets locked out because (obviously) both accounts do not use the same master password.

If I go into the extension settings I can see that it is locked so I click on it and enter my password and can see my credentials. However…it still remains “locked” inside of the extension.

Wish this was tested better. Or at least just support some sort of simple client for Linux :-/. Some sort of cross-platform framework could alleviate so many headaches.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey EP! I’m like you and use different Master Passwords for all of my 1Password accounts (even my numerous test accounts), so this is a struggle I’m very familiar with. If you use the same Master Password for all accounts, they will all unlock when you enter it, which is actually what we recommend here. That said, reusing any password (even with my Secret Key adding an extra layer of security) makes me a bit jittery, so if you’re the same way, you can lock 1Password X, then unlock with the Master Password for the account you want to use when you need to switch. This will unlock the second (or third, or fourth …) account inside 1Password X. It taking some adjustment, but it’s becoming second nature over time and isn’t terribly disruptive since I tend to use different accounts at different times. I have my AgileBits account unlocked right now since I logged in to reply to comments here, but once I polish off this reply and call it a night, I’ll pop open my late night Netflix (and my Family account).

The first thing I thought of when I read your comment was a recent lesson our wonderful development team gave me about using the keyboard to navigate 1Password X. Although how to lock with the keyboard wasn’t included in that lesson, I was convinced it must be doable. After all, they told me that if you can’t do something with 1Password X without a mouse, then that’s a bug. Despite my best efforts at guessing and hunting through our issue tracker, I can’t figure it out. So tomorrow, I’m going to ask and if they don’t have an answer for me, I’m going to hold them to that promise and file a bug. After all, if there’s one small thing that could make switching accounts easier for me (and hopefully you too), it’s being able to keep my fingers on the keyboard. 😄

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Mike! You’re correct that 1Password X doesn’t yet support Touch ID. There isn’t an API available to allow Touch ID in the browser at present, so we’d need to integrate 1Password X with the Mac desktop app to support Touch ID unlocking. This isn’t off the table by any means, but since 1Password X was designed first and foremost to help people who can’t install a desktop app for varying reasons it’s not something we want to focus on right away. If Touch ID is a requirement for you, you’ll likely want to stick with the desktop app for now, but we definitely do want 1Password X to support Touch ID in the future. 😊

7. Joseph
    Joseph says:

Every time I read news about 1password I hope to see that they are no longer forcing us to rely on Dropbox.. Tresorit is much better why not that? Anyway Why do you guys go in the way that strips down your app, makes it less fun to use and harder to take seriously….
    Browser extension is just that an extension.. To a bigger full featured app..
    We need password management and very high security..
    I must look for another app for me and the family to use. I’m Canceling my family account also

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Joseph! If you have a 1Password Families account, you already don’t have to rely on Dropbox for syncing. 1Password.com accounts sync automatically via our secure servers, so if any of your vaults are still using Dropbox to sync, you can get away from it by creating a new vault in you Family account and moving those items to that new vault. Once that’s done, you can say goodbye to Dropbox, and if you need any help along the way, we’re happy to lend a hand.

We know a lot of folks were looking for some different sync options and that’s one of the many reasons we set out to build 1Password.com accounts. 1Password.com is a simple, fast and secure way to sync your vaults, plus, with the introduction of your Secret Key, you can rest easy know your data has an extra layer of protection when on our servers.👍

As for 1Password X, it is an extension, but it’s also so much more. We built 1Password X with the needs of folks who can’t install a desktop app in mind. From Linux and ChromeOS users to individuals with restricted work machines, there were people everywhere who couldn’t choose 1Password precisely because it required a desktop app. 1Password X changes that and we hope that it can serve as a replacement for the desktop apps, but only if that’s what you want. If you prefer the desktop apps and standard 1Password extension, they aren’t going anywhere. If they suit your needs better, keep ’em. We’re continuing to support and develop them and, in fact, have a major upgrade planned for them in the not too distant future.

While we probably won’t ever be able to support every possible 1Password configuration you can imagine, we do strongly support choice. Choice in which apps you use in your 1Password ecosystem, choice about which browser to fill your 1Password data in, and choice about how and where to store and sync your vaults. 1Password X expands those choices, but it doesn’t take any choice away. Whether you choose the apps or 1Password X, that choice is always up to you. 🙂

8. Jason
    Jason says:

Sorry, 1PX is too deficient and too slow when compared to 1P Chrome extension. 1PX will need to considerably improve before it’s UX is better.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for giving 1Password X a try and thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I agree completely that 1Password X is slower than our existing Chrome extension when paired with 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows. Our Mac and Windows teams have done an excellent job of making things run smoothly over the last decade and have had time to optimize things!

We knew 1Password X could do several things it’s cousins were never designed to do (Linux anyone?) so I was excited to introduce it to the world. Now that Linux and Chrome OS (and users like myself who enjoy being on the cutting edge) are enjoying 1Password X we can spend some time on making things faster. In fact, on my local machine I have development branch running that makes unlocking 1Password X much much faster. I’m looking forward to sharing that with you soon! 🙂

Until then, by all means continue to use whichever one works best for you. Take care and have yourself a wonderful holiday season. 🙏 🌲

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Tim! 1Password X won’t work on mobile. The extension frameworks available on mobile devices are a bit more limited and while I know to never say never, we’re definitely not to the point yet where we could make 1Password X available in Chrome on iOS or Android. Of course, we’re always working to make filling easier on mobile, so who knows? While 1Password X itself won’t be available on mobile devices, some of what we learn with 1Password X may still find its way to the mobile apps in one form or another. In fact, if you use 1Password on Android, you may find the new autofill and accessibility service looks quite similar to 1Password X in some ways. Give it a try and see what you think! 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Glad to hear you’re excited, EG! Although the team has some other fixes and features they’re looking to button up before bringing 1Password X other browsers, we definitely do want 1Password X to expand its browser empire down the line. I’m looking forward to Firefox support myself, so I’m crossing my fingers we’ll both get our wish in the New Year. Feel free to give it a try in Chrome before then, though, and let us know what you think. 🙂

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Paul! Apologies for the delay in replying to you. I’ve been on vacation so I’m playing catch-up now I’m back. Sorry!

Other browsers are definitely on the list. We still have a few features we want to round out and tweaks to make first, but I’m sure it will make the rounds to Safari and beyond down the road. 😊

9. Endem
    Endem says:

A revamp of the Safari extension and Mac app in this same way could push me to the subscription service. I know that there is a lot to care about in a password manager that is more importaint then the UI, but UI things often make all the difference when it choosing various offerings. If you at one point throw in a smart system for changing multiple weak passwords, I would be all in.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Endem! First off, I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Today is my first day back from vacation, so I’m playing catch-up a bit. Sorry!

We likely will bring some features of 1Password X to the standard browser extension used with the desktop apps. One thing we were excited about when we started working on 1Password X was the opportunity to experiment with new things we might want to introduce across the board without updating every desktop app right away. Still, if 1Password X is exactly what you want, you may be better served by making a wholesale switch away from the desktop apps one day. We still have a few features to round out and tweaks to make before bringing 1Password X to other browsers, but that is absolutely something we want to do down the road.

For now, why not give it a try in Chrome? You can keep the desktop app and standard extension in Safari while you test it out and if 1Password X isn’t quite enough to shift your browser loyalties, you can always switch back after your 30-day free trial. If you do give it a go, make sure to let us know what you think! 😊

10. Jeff McDonald
    Jeff McDonald says:

1Password X is great. A very simplified experience. I do miss two things …
    1. Large view (rather than just copy/reveal)
    2. Clear clipboard after a specific amount of time

Also, any plans for adding this as an option for the Brave browser?

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Jeff! 1Password X is actually completely and totally new under the hood. The code started from nothing at all, so there are some features already available in the desktop apps that we’re still looking to add to 1Password X down the road. I don’t currently know of any immediate plans to implement clipboard clearing or large type, but we’re still early on in this adventure, so the road map is ever-changing. Thanks for your feedback and we’ll definitely keep it in mind as we continue to build and improve 1Password X. 😊

As for Brave, the Brave team builds the standard 1Password extension into Brave themselves. They don’t have an extension store in the same way that Chrome does. We are certainly hoping to bring 1Password X to other browsers down the road, but Brave is a bit more complicated given how they handle extensions. If they want to include 1Password X as well, we’d certainly be happy to chat with them about it, but in this case it’s not something that’s entirely up to us. Bringing 1Password X to other browsers in general is still a ways down the road, too, but we’re working our way there. 👍🏻

« Older Comments