1Password X: A look at the future of 1Password in the browser

“Wouldn’t it be cool if 1Password could do X?” is a question we often ask ourselves. The values for X are always changing, but some ideas come up again and again. Wouldn’t it be cool if…

• When you log in to a site, 1Password is right there on the page ready to fill?
  • You could use 1Password without downloading the app?
  • Linux users and Chrome OS users could join in on the fun?

Now 1Password can do all these and more. We call it 1Password X, and it’s our brand new, full-featured experience that runs entirely in your browser.

It’s super easy to set up, deploy, and use. It works everywhere Chrome works, including Linux and Chrome OS. And it’s a re-imagination of how 1Password works on the web.

X is for extension

Before we jump in, I want to address one thing you may be thinking: our X is a letter, not a version number. Our X is a hat tip to one of the most beloved features of 1Password, namely our 1Password extension.

The extension is what allows us to have the little 1Password icon in your browser toolbar. I call it our bread and butter, and I couldn’t live without it. 😊

1Password X builds on this experience and takes it to the next level. The most visible change you just saw above – your logins are now available directly within the webpage you are viewing!

It’s smart, too. 1Password anticipates what you need and shows you the options that are most relevant to your current task. If you are signing up for a new site, 1Password suggests a generated password for you right then and there.

You can also save your new login, name it, and pick which vault to store it in.

X is for Linux

One of the most popular requests of all time has been Linux support. In fact, the forum thread asking for Linux has over 75,000 views. That’s a lot of cold penguins. 🙂

Because 1Password X is a Chrome extension, it works everywhere Chrome is available, including Linux. In fact, we initially shared 1Password X exclusively with Linux users as we wanted to make sure we nailed it.

Tim, our chief sysadmin and “beardless keeper of keys and grounds” is a hardcore Linux evangelist who, until now, has had no other choice than to use Wine to run 1Password. Tim has been our toughest critic over the years for our lack of Linux support, and so far he’s been thrilled.

There’s still lots of work to do, but we have thousands of happy Linux users already enjoying 1Password X. And we can’t wait to invite all of the other penguins in out of the cold! 😘

X is for exceedingly powerful

1Password X has all of the power of a full-featured app. And because it connects directly to your 1Password account, everything you expect from 1Password is there – your vaults, your items, and all their details.

And we’ve sprinkled in some additional features to absolutely delight you:

• Keyboard navigation: We know this is a big one for power users, so we made sure everything can be done without lifting your fingers from the keyboard.
  • Smart search: Just start typing to find exactly what you need – ideal for when you have multiple logins for a site.
  • Perfect memory: 1Password remembers what you were doing last, whether you were in the middle of a search or looking at an item’s details.
  • One-time password filling: Your two-factor authentication codes are filled just like usernames and passwords.
  • Authentication dialog filling: If you ever see one those old-school HTTP authentication prompts, rest assured that 1Password can fill them.

My personal favourite has to be our amazing new search – I just start typing and my matching items appear automatically. I love it so much that filling one-time passwords had to take second factor place. It was close, though – only 30 seconds behind! 😃

X is for extra easy setup

Historically, we’ve needed to teach people how to first install and set up the app, and then take them out of the app to install the extension. With 1Password X, they’re one and the same. Just install it, enter your Master Password, and you’re in.

Because there’s no need to install a separate desktop app, deployment within team environments is as simple as can be. And by using multiple Chrome profiles, your team members can share the same machine while having access to their own 1Password data.

1Password X can even be installed on Chrome OS, which makes me super excited as now I can finally buy one of those lovely new Pixelbooks. 🤘

X is for Excelsior!

1Password X is a radical new way of using 1Password, but it’s not (yet) for everyone. It’s still in its early stages so some features are not yet available. For example, it’s not yet possible to customize generated passwords or use browsers like Safari, Firefox, and Edge.

But it is an exciting new way to use 1Password on the web, and for me, that outweighs any drawbacks. I’ve been using 1Password X exclusively for the last 6 months, and I couldn’t be happier.

So is 1Password X for you? If you’re running Linux or Chrome OS, you should jump right in. Or if you’re adventurous and enjoy the thrill of discovering new things while being on the cutting edge, then 1Password X is for you – it runs fine alongside the 1Password apps and extension you already use.

1Password X was designed for our hosted 1Password service and connects directly to your account. It is available in English, French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish and can be installed from the Chrome Web Store:

Install 1Password X

I hope you’re as excited about 1Password X as I am! Learn how to get started with 1Password X and join the discussion in the 1Password Support forum to let us know what you think! ❤️

Now let’s all go join Harold in that rocket ship and explore what’s possible! 😃 🚀

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
    • Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Gaurav! 1Password X relies on many of the features of our hosted solution to work its magic, so it will only work with a 1Password.com account and that’s not likely to change. Of course, the desktop apps aren’t going anywhere if you prefer standalone vaults, but if you’re interested in giving 1Password X a try, you can try a 1Password membership free for 30 days. We think 1Password X on its own is enough to merit making the switch, but it’s just one of many benefits that come with a 1Password membership. Give it a go and if you have any questions before you take the plunge, we’re here to help.

1. Ilya
    Ilya says:

I bought 1Password for mac in 2015 or earlier, and also use it on my iPhone, but lately I have a 2nd computer with linux. Do I need to buy a subscription to use this on the 2nd computer in chrome?

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Ilya! 1Password X does rely on many of the features of our hosted service to work its magic, so it does require a 1Password membership and that’s not likely to change. That said, 1Password X is only one of the many cool features of a 1Password membership. One such benefit is that your membership will include 1Password 7 for Mac (and Windows) once it’s ready to go, so now is a great time to give it a try, if you’re interested. Of course, if you have any questions before your take the plunge, we’re happy to help.🙂

2. Daniel Tiecher
    Daniel Tiecher says:

Just tested the extension and it looks great! Almost made me start using Chrome again…

Almost, though. That’s why I’m looking forward to a Safari version in the future! ;-)

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Daniel! Glad you enjoyed it! Bringing 1Password X to other browsers is definitely something we’d like to work on. We decided to start with Chrome in part because ChromeOS users didn’t previously have a way to use 1Password, but once the dust settles and we get a chance to celebrate a bit, we’ll be back to work polishing and later working on expanding the reach of 1Password X. As a Firefox gal on PC and a Safari loyalist on Mac, I’ll be right there with you nagging the team to get back to work cheering the team on as the bring other browsers into the future.🙂

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey there! Since 1Password X relies on many features of our hosted service to work its magic, it likely won’t ever support standalone vaults. Of course, you can always give a 1Password membership a try to take 1Password X for a spin. If you’re set one standalone vaults, though, the desktop apps are here for you and aren’t going anywhere. ☺️

3. Michael C
    Michael C says:

Is there a way to match previous behavior re: locking? I have 1PW set up to lock when the computer sleeps or locks, but not after a certain duration. 300 minutes seems to be the max for this new extension, but I’d like to switch to it for its beautiful new look and functionality.

Hi Michael,

You’re right, at the moment we only allow you to customize the idle time duration for automatic locking. 1Password X will lock when this time is exceeded (as well as when you quit Chrome or lock your computer), and we’ve placed a maximum of 300 minutes for that setting. This time allotment is for computer idle time, however, so 5 hours seemed like a reasonable upper limit.

With that said, many users have been asking for more flexibility in our lock settings so I suspect you’ll be seeing more Settings in a future release.

4. MK
    MK says:

Hi folks, it’s disappointing but understandable as to why X doesn’t currently support standalone vaults.

I’m curious though whether you could integrate some of the improvements from X into the standard plugin. Particularly the icon in the box and dialogue box auth. Surely those two features could be put into the existing plugins for existing users.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey MK! The existing plugins don’t actually have their own UI. That comes from the desktop apps and our extension team is always quick to remind me of this when something is misbehaving. 😉 That said there are absolutely features of 1Password X we’d love to see come to the desktop apps. When they’ll make it to a desktop app near you depends on when the Mac and Windows teams have some time to implement them — they’re all hard at work on 1Passwor 7 right now — but definitely something we’d love to do. Thanks for sharing your favorites! I’ll be sure to pass them on to the team. ❤️☺️

5. Michal
    Michal says:

Hi, that looks great. I use 1Password on my home Macbook Pro and PC at work. Business computer has firewall and lots of securities (Zscaler etc.) which makes 1Password impossible to update when I’m in business network. Question: will 1Password X work flawlessly in such case or will it be still blocked by Zscaler?

Another question, I use Chrome browser on personal and business laptops with account and settings sync turned on. That feature syncs all my settings and extensions on Chrome on both computers. Will 1Password X interfere somehow when I decide to have 1Password program installed on my personal Mac and only 1Password X extension on my business PC? In other words, can 1Password X replace current 1Password Chrome extension and work together with 1Password program installed on the computer?

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Michael! It’s hard to say whether you’ll see fewer zscaler issues with 1Password X as this usually depends on you comoany’s settings. If the desktop app would still properly sync with your account, but just wouldn’t update, I’d say there’s a good chance you’d see improvements. Corporate restrictions on extensions tend to be less (one reason we’re excited about 1Password X) and 1Password for Windows uses HockeyApp for some functions which has caused some fuss on corporate machines before. Definitely worth trying! 👍🏻

As for using the desktop app at home, 1Password X is independent and won’t work as the extension for your desktop app, but you can have both 1Password X and the usual Chrome extension installed no problem. Just make sure you’re using the right icon in the right place. They look different enough I have faith it won’t be a big deal. Plus the regular extension won’t do anything on your work PC since it doesn’t have an app to talk to. You’ll see both, but worst case is just a bit of extra toolbar clutter. ☺️

6. Dirk
    Dirk says:

Great work. Just tested it on Chrome. Works great so far. Only the 2-factor-authentication codes didn’t get pasted into the form, but I sure you will figure that out soon. Can’t wait to try the Safari extension as soon as it is ready.

Until then, have a great sleep. Cheers.

Thanks, Dirk! I had 11 hours sleep last night so that was a great start! I’m still net negative by 50 or 60 hours though so I’ll be paying back this debt for quite some time 🙂

For your 2fa filling issue, which site were you using? If possible please share the full url with us here, or if you prefer, email it to us at support+x@1password.com so we can test it ourselves. Also, just to be sure, did you try filling the field by clicking the toolbar icon and selecting your saved login? I ask as we don’t always decorate the inline TOTP fields as they’re often non-password fields.

Please let me know so we can improve here.

7. Max
    Max says:

I feel like the licenced are going to be second-class citizens. The Windows Desktop app is still not really good (Version 6 looks good, but can’t be used w/o an account) and now this

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Max! It’s really all happening on the upgrade front right now. Not too long ago 1Password 7 for iOS was released, now 1Password X is ready and before you know it we’ll be talking about 1Password 7 for Mac, Android, and yes, even Windows. Although 1Password X is unlikely to support standalone vaults (you’ll need to give a 1Password membership a try if you’d like to take it for a spin), 1Password 7 for Windows will include standalone support and will be available as a paid upgrade for 1Password 4 license holders. Spring is long gone, even down here in Texas, but we’re definitely doing some spring cleaning. It’s out with the old and in with the new, no matter how you choose to use 1Password. ☺️

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »