Fireside with Monty: 1Password 6.8 for Windows is here!

Monty and his fellow ‘Bits have been busy here getting ready for the holidays and just couldn’t wait to deliver the latest update – in fact, they decided to send it out on Monday! With over 100 changes, there is more inside our newest version than ever before, so let’s settle in with a warm cup of cocoa and review. 🎄 ☕

A place for everything and everything in its place

A picture is worth 1,000 words, and we think the new All Vaults view definitely fits that bill! Within Settings, you can now customize which vaults you want to appear. At the office PC? Have your work items front and center. At home? Keep those personal items right where you need them. Also, searching has never been easier with the new tag: option. Add tags to your items and make filtering simple, or use it by itself to display untagged items.

What’s on the menu(s)?

If you find yourself unwrapping a shiny new device over the holidays, you can unlock 1Password for Windows and set things up in a flash! 🎁 Use the Accounts Menu to copy your account credentials, or display your Setup Code right within the Windows app. You can also see the complete release notes from the Help menu (but here’s a link too 🙂). The Help menu also points you towards our support site, where you can find tons of articles and tips to help make the most of your 1Password experience. And if you need a personal hand, our Team is always here for you! 🤗

Shiny tinsel too!

There’s something about the sparkle from a new display… 🌟 We wanted to make sure we’re taking advantage of new screen resolutions and have given everything a fresh, new update. From a modern translucent sidebar, to revamped context menus, to new icons for your accounts and vaults within the Share menu, the new 1Password interface looks amazing! If you’re listening rather than watching, screen readers will now announce even more when navigating 1Password making it sound just as good as it looks.

Stocking stuffers

As you can tell, we’re super excited that we’ve been able to fill your 1Password for Windows stocking with so many treats! If you’ve been following along with the version numbers, you’ve noticed that we are getting closer and closer to version 7.0 – it is going to be a very exciting new year for us here and we’re happy to have you along! 🎉😊

Have a happy, safe and secure holiday and, as always, please let us know what you think on our support forum.

Hi Brian! 👋

You’re right, 1Password 6.8 for Windows (and indeed every version of 1Password 6) is designed to work solely with 1Password memberships. We rewrote 1Password 6 from the ground up so we could take full advantage of all the latest and greatest technologies that Microsoft has to offer and as you could imagine there was a lot of work that needed to be done to catch up to 1Password 4. Version 4 was the result of many years of effort so when we set out to create version 6 we decided to focus on memberships and memberships only.

As great as 1Password 6 has been, I know it’s left people who prefer managing their own data and syncing things themselves like yourself feeling uneasy. After all it’s easy to think that standalone support was “dropped” in version 6 as opposed to “just hasn’t been coded yet”.

The good news is 1Password 7 will support standalone vaults and we’re well into the implementation phase there already. I don’t want to spill the beans on any forthcoming betas but I will say that you should subscribe to our RSS feed here and follow us on Twitter as Kate will be sharing some fun news early in the New Year that I think will interest you. 🙂

Take care Brian and have yourself a wonderful weekend. Hopefully you have some time off for the holidays and can spend it with family and friends.

Thanks for sharing your excitement with us, Jadon! 🤘

We’re excited, too! 2017 has been a big year for Windows and 2018 is shaping up to be even bigger! 💪

Take care of yourself and your family during the holidays and have a wonderful New Year! 😘

Me too! 😀

We’re actively working on 1Password 7 along with support for local vaults and both are moving right along. We’re not ready to announce anything just yet but I know Kate is dying to write an announcement about 1Password 7. I suspect she’ll get her wish soon and I look forward to reading all about it in the New Year! 🙂

Take care, enjoy your holidays, and have yourself a wonderful New Year! 🎉 🎊

You have yourself a deal! 👌🏽

1Password 7 along with support for local vaults are progressing along nicely and we’ll be shouting from the rooftops about it as soon as we can. I too am looking forward to reading what Kate has to say about it in the New Year! 🎉 🎊

Take care and enjoy your holidays. 🙏 🌲 🕯

Thank you, Michael! I was excited already but now I’m even more excited because you’re excited. It’s catchy! 😀

I’ll be sure to let the entire team know that you’re enjoying their hard work. Take care and enjoy your holidays. 🧡

++dave

1. John G.
    John G. says:

I also need local vault support. My employer is happy to have their employees use a password app like 1Password, but their firewall blocks UDP connections. I was unable to get 1Password 6.* to work, so I de-installed it from my work machine. I hope there will be ways to either reach the cloud or at least take a copy from the cloud via a mobile device and get it to 1Password so I can access my personal passwords from one local vault and my work passwords from another.

Hi John, 👋

I was so happy when I started reading the beginning of your message as I’m always excited to hear about employers who want their employees using password managers, then the wind left my sails when I read the dreaded word “firewall”. 🌬⛵️ 🙂

No worries though as I think I have some good news for you. First and foremost, local vaults will be available in 1Password 7 which we’re actively working on and hope to be able to share more with you in the New Year. Second, we have a new browser extension that works completely within Google Chrome and I suspect it will work with your firewall just fine. It’s called 1Password X and you can learn all about it here. Technically both 1Password for Windows and 1Password X perform the same actions but I’m curious to know if your firewall allows it –
      after all if they do block it then you wouldn’t be able to browse anything. Which, depending on your employer, might be their goal – I hope not! 🙂 Give it a go and let us know how it goes in the comments there.

Take care and have yourself a great holiday and a wonderful New Year!

2. Armaan
    Armaan says:

I’ve left the desktop app behind and moved full forward with 1PasswordX. Can’t wait to see what the new year brings for that!

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Armaan! While part of me is sad you’re leaving my beloved 1Password for Windows behind, 1Password X is pretty darned awesome so I certainly can’t blame you. I’m glad it has been working so well for you. I’m sure the 1Password X team has quite a few exciting things in the works for the new year as well and I’m sure they’re on the edge of their seats waiting to share them with you. 🙂

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Thanks, Ariane! I hope you had a lovely Christmas as well! 🎄🎁 1Password 7 wasn’t quite ready in time for the holidays, but we’re looking forward to continuing to work on it in the new year and I’m on the edge of my seat waiting to be able to share it with all of you when it’s ready! For now, we’ll both have to hang tight, but 2018 is shaping up to be a really exciting year for us and I hope it’s got great things in store for you as well.🙂

3. Jeffrey
    Jeffrey says:

Hello,

I just seen that we need to subscribe 1Password membership to get the latest Windows version. Will you guys develop a new version on macOS by updating the app that I purchased ? (please do not create a new item on the Mac App Store).
    I bought the standalone licence and I synchronise my vaults using Dropbox.
    I don’t want to pay each year…

Hope you all had a good Christmas,
    Jeffrey

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Jeffrey! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! 1Password 7 for Mac and Windows are both still in development, so we don’t have anything specific to share about pricing just yet, but we certainly appreciate your feedback and will keep it in mind when making those decisions. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas as well and that the New Year has nothing but amazing things in store for you. I know it’ll be an exciting one for us and we’re happy to be able to share it with you. ❤️🙂

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Oh, and one more thing! While upGRADES are exciting, we’re a pretty big fan of upDATES around here too. Whether you choose a standalone license or a 1Password membership, we’re always looking to make 1Password better with regular free updates. Just check out all of the changes that have been made over the years:

Pick any version on that page and I’m sure you’ll see a long list of cool new things from 1.0 and beyond. 🙂