1Password is for families

Today we’re celebrating Family Day here in Ontario and throughout other parts of Canada. It’s a great way to remind ourselves of the people in our lives who are always here when we need them. Family can mean a lot of different things – my brother-in-law Mike calling to ask if I need help shovelling snow, my aunt sharing a new card game, or a friend who needs a ride to an appointment – in the end, family means “together”.

Sharing together

Most of the time, sharing lives together is as simple as sharing a meal, sharing how your day was, and – these days – sharing Wi-Fi passwords and Netflix accounts. 1Password Families can’t cook for you or get your kids to clean their rooms, but it’s great with online accounts. In fact, it’s great for sharing a lot more than passwords, too.

The Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang got me thinking about international travel, and I’m reminded of Jeff’s post about his son’s trip to Texas. He used 1Password Families to help his son prepare for his trip to the USA for an international gymnastics training camp. I’ll let him tell the story:

I created a Texas Trip vault [and] added our passports, contact info, and a credit card for emergencies (new headphones are not an emergency). In went the flights, insurance policies, consent forms, and all the rest. Finally, I added passwords for all the ways he could reach us, from Skype to FaceTime to Zoom; although, trying to get a 15-year-old to actually talk to his parents was another matter.

It was really quite reassuring to know that all of that information was there for him to easily access on either his Mac or his iPhone.

And that’s just one example. There are as many different ways to use 1Password Families as there are families. You get to choose who has access to shared information, and everyone gets their own personal vault for stuff that’s private. But no matter what you share with your family, you can be sure that your secrets are safe.

Recovering your peace of mind

One of my favourite taglines for 1Password is “Go ahead, forget your passwords”. Taking that plunge into a world of not knowing my passwords was scary, but now that I’m here, I can’t imagine going back. There’s only one password I need to remember now: my Master Password. But what happens if I forget that?! I’d normally start to feel my peace of mind slip away just thinking about that, but thanks to my family, I don’t have to worry.

Nobody at 1Password ever has access to your information. That means that if you forget your Master Password, we can’t help you recover your account. But if you have a 1Password Families membership, you can designate another family member who can help you recover your account. You get to have peace of mind because you’re in control.

Make the switch

If you have a 1Password account and have been considering inviting your family, there’s never been a better time. There are a ton of benefits to 1Password Families, some of which I mentioned above. A family account lets you:

• Share vaults securely. Shared vaults show up on your family’s devices instantly.
  • Recover accounts. If someone in your family forgets their Master Password or can’t find their Secret Key, a family organizer can help recover their account.
  • Simplify payment. A single subscription covers a family of 5, with room to grow.

Upgrading to a family account is as easy as inviting more people.
Simply sign in to your account on 1Password.com and click Invite People in the sidebar. 😀

Love for our 1Password Family

With that, I’d like to wrap this up with a special thank you to all of our extended 1Password family members. Without the lovely people I work with every day and all the amazing customers who have supported us over the years, 1Password wouldn’t be where it is today. Thank you! And I mean it when I say we have amazing customers. Dave and I were recently away and came back one day to our room and saw this on the door:

Thank you for making truly amazing software. I use 1Password everyday (when I'm not cruising) ❤️ @miwahall

Thank you for making truly amazing software. I use 1Password everyday (when I’m not cruising) ❤ @miwahall

It’s heartwarming to be making connections with people, and we’re so glad we’ve had the chance to be a part of your lives! ❤

1. Larry McJunkin
    Larry McJunkin says:

Mac user since “a really long time ago”.
    1Password user since “the 1P ride first began”.
    1Password for Families user since “2017”.

All three of these were great decisions…but (3.) was the absolute best!

• Sara Teare
      Sara Teare says:

That’s awesome! It’s definitely be an interesting ride all these years, and I’m very glad to know you’ll be with us for all the wonderful things still to come:)

2. Erik King
    Erik King says:

Love 1password, and happy with the decision to switch to the subscription model which works flawlessly for me across many devices.

I’d like to set up my wife with it as well, but I have not because the cost difference between individual and family seems pretty high when you are not a family that needs 5 users, but rather a couple who will only ever use 2 seats.

Have you ever considered offering a couples version to slot between individual and family? I suspect there are many who might be attracted to it.

Thanks for considering this.

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Erik! We have considered that, but it’s tough to say where it might fit in. After all, a Family account is already cheaper than two Individual accounts and it includes five people, plus it comes with some extra features not available for Individuals, like the Shared vault, guests, and account recovery options to boot. While jumping from one seat to five may seem like a large leap, the price jump is small enough there’s not much daylight between Individual and Family. Besides, there’s nothing saying your Family account is restricted to your household. In fact, my own expands well beyond my home.

My household is just me and my partner. Our two cats and our dog can’t figure out 1Password just yet so they don’t count. For a long time, the two of us were the only people using my Family account. Later, I was considering how to handle a communal PC in our living room that serves as our entertainment hub. It’s hooked up to the TV and has tons of accounts it uses like Pandora and Netflix. It’s public, so I don’t want either of our accounts signed into 1Password there and it doesn’t need to save any of its own items, but I did want account info for some things to be available to visitors. The answer was to set that PC up as a guest and it’s great. If anyone is house sitting, I leave them the Master Password for 1Password on that device and they’ve got their music and TV covered, but can’t get at my bank account details. Plus, I added contacts for our vet, city services, and an emergency contact for us should we be going out of country and not be reachable on our cell phones. Later, I invited my folks, who live a few hours away. We share a few passwords between us, plus they always called me when they forgot their passwords, so it was an obvious win.

I’m not alone here either. I’ve helped folks set up their kids away at college, or their grandparents, or even their babysitter as part of their Family account. 1Password Families comes with so many possibilities. There are endless ways you can use it to simplify so many things, even if you’re just a family of two. While I understand the feeling that you don’t need five “seats,” I feel that an additional “tier” so to speak (I dislike that word, but can’t find a better one) would make deciding what 1Password is best for you harder without the benefit to match. 1Password Families is less about “seats” and more about the additional features and flexibility you gain. Plus, you may well find your 1Password family ends up being just a bit bigger than you might have expected.

If you’re curious how you might use 1Password Families in your household (and beyond), drop us a line! We absolutely love talking about how we use 1Password and I’d bet we can tempt you with some of the cool things 1Password Families can do, even if you’re starting small. 🙂

3. Larry McJunkin
    Larry McJunkin says:

I’ll definitely be there, Sara! BTW, my post might have made more sense, but the 1., 2., and 3. somehow got stripped from the first three sentences.

• Sara Teare
      Sara Teare says:

Glad to hear it Larry:)

I had assumed the 1., 2., and 3. were there – it’s amazing that in this tech future we still have to work at formatting!

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Hey Malcolm! We actually had a promotion in mind for Family Day this year, but it didn’t end up working out from a technical perspective. We tucked it away to revisit later on when we’ve got some extra time to make it happen. That said, we have no specific plans on when that promotion (or a different one entirely) might go active. Were you to ask me, though, I’d always say the best time to sign up for 1Password Families is now. The peace of mind I got knowing that even the passwords I share with someone else are unique, complex, and random is well worth the cost, even at full price. The fact that I no longer have to field, “What’s my password for [service]?” questions from my parents is just a nice bonus. Plus, 1Password is free for 30 days no matter when you try it out, so why not give it go? 😊

• Christian Malcolm
      Christian Malcolm says:

Thanks for the update, glad to know a promotion will hopefully be coming at some point.

I find that with subscriptions, it’s really is worth biding your time. I do regret hesitating and not having signed up during the testing beta!. For the value conscious, picking the right time to subscribe saves significant amounts of money over the years.

I’ve been using 1Password for many years now and have a few dozen clients using it as well. 1password online is maturing nicely and I’m starting to think about moving some of them (and myself) to the subscription model, but want to wait for the deal. Subscriptions are a hard sell, but a promotion makes it easier.

Many thanks

• Kate Sebald
      Kate Sebald says:

Sooner than you might think, Christian! 😎 We just announced 1Password Gift Cards, and you can buy a $125 gift cards for $99 right now. This is no ordinary promotion either. The more you buy, the longer you save. Kind of like a build-you-own-promotion, if you will. They are gift cards, but you can totally give yourself a gift too. It’s okay. You deserve it. 😊 You can learn all about ’em here, or just go on a shopping spree. Hope this is the nudge you need to try out a 1Password membership and that you love it as much as I love mine. 💖

• Dwayne
      Dwayne says:

Definitely interested in a promo similar to Family Day resurfacing… with a family of 9 that 10-user plan would have definitely been an incentive to switch. Missed it by a few days last year unfortunately. Until that point we are likely sticking with our current implementation – but let me know if/when that promo reoccurs! ;-)

Hi Dwayne,

I doubt that particular promo will ever occur again to be honest as I have some other ideas planned instead. In the interim, please reach out to our sales team at sales@1password.com and we’ll see if there’s anything we can do.

Cheers!