Give the gift of 1Password

Ever since we launched 1Password memberships, people have been asking us how they can gift 1Password to their friends and loved ones. As you might expect, we see the most interest around the holidays, and this past holiday season was no different. I always thought it was a great idea, but we didn’t have a good answer – until now.

$125 for only $99 🎉

With 1Password Gift Cards, you can help anyone stay safe online. Give them to others or redeem them for yourself. You can purchase them in amounts of $25, $50, or $125. And because everyone loves to save money, we put the $125 gift cards on sale for only $99!

Get a 1Password Gift Card

PayPal, Apple Pay, and more

Another request we’ve seen is the ability to pay for a 1Password membership without using a credit card. Gift cards make that easy.

You can purchase 1Password Gift Cards with PayPal, Apple Pay, and – because it’s 2018 – cryptocurrencies, like Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin. You can even use 1Password to manage your cryptocurrencies.

And for those of you who are like myself – a bit old-fashioned – credit cards are still an option as well. 😉

Gifts are for everyone

Giving the gift of 1Password is incredibly easy. When you purchase a gift card, you’ll receive an email with the gift code. Simply forward that email to your friend or loved one, and they can sign up for 1Password to redeem the gift card or apply it to the 1Password membership they already have.

And you don’t even have to limit gift cards to people you like. You can send one to someone you don’t like. Maybe it’ll be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. 😊

1. Kevin Vandenborne
    Kevin Vandenborne says:

This isn’t related to the gift cards but I just wanted to say I really love the artwork in the blog posts, my compliments to the designer(s)! The visuals make the overall reading experience a lot nicer, keep doing it! Maybe give the ol’ logo at the top a little love too!

That said, maybe I should give myself a little gift and move from the standalone version to the subscription! 😊

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Kevin! Aren’t they just totally adorable? Every time they create a new character, I try begging them to get me a plush version of it. So far, no dice, but I’m hoping they’ll cave one day. Then again, had they acquiesced, my bed would be full of stuffed animals and my partner would probably be having second thoughts about living with me, so perhaps their denial was for my own good. 😉

Now is also an awesome time to switch to a 1Password membership. With the gift card sale, you can gift yourself (or anyone else that might need a little extra security) a discount for as long as you like. I generally leave the math to the programmers, but a $125 gift card gets you almost two years of 1Password Families for just $99 by my math. That’s up to five people that can use 1Password for two years (or more if you buy more than one gift card). You can choose your own discount adventure, then head here for a guide to sign up and migrate your existing data. You’ll be enjoying your new 1Password membership and everything that comes with it before you know it. 😊

Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Michael! These are only for 1Password.com right now, but we’ll keeping an eye on how things go. 1Password.eu and 1Password.ca are fairly new still, so most of our customers remain on 1Password.com. Still, we know the benefits of a server in your region are important to y’all, so we’d love to bring gift cards to the rest of the 1Password world, but there are some logistical things we still need to consider and make sure we can get right before we take that step. 😊

Kate Sebald says:

Duly noted, Álvaro! As I mentioned before, .eu and .ca do come with their own challenges, so this isn’t something on the immediate timeline, but definitely something we’ll continue thinking about moving forward. 😊

2. C Malcolm
    C Malcolm says:

Another +1 for European 1Password gift cards, please.

If/when we move our clients over to the online version, we’d only be interested in a non-US version.

If I subscribe to this thread, will I get notification if/when the gift cards open up?

Many thanks

Kate Sebald says:

Your best bet would be to keep an eye on the blog in general or look for an announcement on Twitter or Facebook. If we do introduce European and Canadian gift cards, that would likely be worthy of a blog post of its own, or at least a heads up on social media. Otherwise, you’ll be relying on me to remember to come back here and let y’all know. I really wish my memory were that good, but I know better that to make that sort of promise. 😜

I’d love to see a system that would let us keep folks in the loop about specific feature requests, but we just get so many and cannot possibly introduce all of them, so I can’t imagine what form that would take without getting unwieldy almost immediately. Perhaps someone smarter than I will have ideas, but for now the most exciting stuff can always be found here, so it’s a good bet for keeping yourself in the know about gift cards and any other exciting stuff we have in the pipes. 😊

3. Diane Ross
    Diane Ross says:

I had not given a lot of thought to the penality that a single individual pays for a subscription until I read Kate Sebald’s reply. While it’s nice that you give familiy accounts a discount, for people like me that are not part of a family, my cost is not fair in comparison.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Diane! Families do pay less on a per-person basis, and while I don’t necessarily agree that’s unfair to individuals, I can understand where you’re coming from. We certainly could charge exclusively per user to ensure that per person rate remains the same, but that would penalize folks with larger 1Password families and quickly make 1Password unaffordable for families like my mom’s (she’s the oldest of 11), which itself seems unfair. It’s a difficult problem to wrestle with, but we’ve stuck with the goal to make 1Password as affordable as possible, whether you’re an individual, a family, or a large team, and to give folks options to fit 1Password into their budget, rather than focusing on that per-person cost. We feel like we’ve done that here and furthermore that our customers feel that the convenience and security of using 1Password holds a value that matches or even exceeds its cost. Rather than a punishing individuals, we want to reward folks for sharing 1Password and helping others stay safe.💖

Of course, you have the option to expand your 1Password family by upgrading to a Family account and sharing the cost, if you’d like. As I often say, there’s nothing dictating that your 1Password family has to be under the same roof or even share common ancestors. Your best friend, your dogsitter, your attorney, or anyone else you may want to share with can be part of your 1Password family.😊

I know this is ultimately a matter of perspective and we won’t all see these things in the same light, so we do appreciate the feedback. Hearing from folks with different viewpoints can only help us improve and we’re always happy to chat.🤗

• Diane Ross
      Diane Ross says:

If I did “adopt” a family to share the cost, will each vault have it’s own Master password? What about access to mypassword.com admin settings?

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Diane! Everyone in your 1Password Family gets their own account credentials, including their own Master Password, and access to both a Personal vault (only accessible to them, like your Personal vault would be only accessible to you) and the Shared vault which is shared with everyone. Anything you want to share with your entire adopted family can go into that Shared vault. You can also create new vaults to share selectively with only certain people. You can learn more about creating and sharing vaults here.👍

As for the admin settings, that’s up to you. As the account owner, you can decide whether you’d like others on the account to be family members or Family Organizers. Family members can’t access account settings, but Family Organizers get some extra permissions to manage the account and you can learn about them here. I’d personally recommend at least one trusted Family Organizer in your adopted family so that you can ask them to recover your account if you ever forget your Master Password or lose your Secret Key. 😊

I’m glad you’re exploring the idea and if you have any more questions, keep ’em coming!

• Diane Ross
      Diane Ross says:

Thanks for the detailed info. Nice to know I don’t have to be alone.

Grocery shopping is another matter. Seems everything comes in family size.

Kate Sebald says:

It’s no problem at all, Diane! I can’t help with the grocery shopping, but if the state of my freezer is any indication, my family of two shares those struggles. My dog is quite good at taking care of leftovers we never get around to, but the cost remains the same so I’m not sure he helps per se. 😉

I hope you do get the chance to bring some new folks into your 1Password family, and if any of you ever need a hand, remember we’re always here to help. 😊

4. Jason
    Jason says:

Whoop! Perfect, I really dislike storing credit card details with a vendor. How do I now remove my credit card from Billing details in my account?

Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Jason! I did some fiddling and poking about and it turns out you cannot remove the default credit card after you add a gift card. This is because we don’t want folks to be able to accidentally remove the only credit card on file, but with the addition of gift cards, it makes less sense to me. I had a chat with some teammates about it and it seems I’m not alone here, so I’ve passed your feedback along to the development team so they can make the final decision on changing this. 😊

Kate Sebald says:

I can’t promise I’ll remember to come back here and let you know, but I’ll certainly try and do feel free to give me a nudge if it’s been a while. I’d absolutely love a tool that would let me keep track of these things better so I can
      follow-up, but I haven’t found one just yet and am presently stuck with my less-than-reliable memory. Still, I’ll leave myself some reminders to increase the odds. 😊

5. Kai.
    Kai. says:

i suppose it is great that there is a gift card now. Not really useful in February from a user perspective. a referral system would be i think far more appreciated by the users.

From Agile bits perspective, yes gift cards are great to generate extra revenue for the company, especially considering the gift card denominations you are offering. Why do the denominations offered not match what an annual subscription across the different tiers (Individual $36, Family $60) would cost?

My problem is that these are still priced in US Dollars. if you are a Canadian company and advertise and market yourself as one, which you certainly do on July 1st every year, then have the decency to be fair and deal with your Canadian Customers in Canadian dollars, instead of US dollars.

The Canadian customers are the ones bearing the brunt of your decision to use US dollars.

Not only do the Canadian customers end up paying a higher price due to your choice of currency and the dynamic currency conversion rates, they are also charged a currency conversion fee of around 3% to 3.5% on total transaction costs by 99% of the Canadian credit cards out there. That is also before any one time fees the bank may charge them for undertaking a foreign currency transactions on a Canadian bank account or credit card.

To put that in perspective, a US $99 (equivalent to 127.05 CA$ as of Feb 28) would end up costing your Canadian customer about 132.20 Canadian dollars for a $125 worth of your services. Not to mention this is with your sale pricing. As it is, it is a terrible deal for the Canadians and once the sale is finished, the value proposition is further out the window with a Canadian $ cost of $165.20 for $125 worth of service.

I think all Canadians would agree, fairness and looking out for each other are big Canadian values and agilebits seems to have forgotten their Canadian roots and Canadian customers.

Just my 2 cents regarding the pricing issue and “gift cards”.

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Kai! If there’s one thing I know for sure about AgileBits, it’s that they’re proudly, loudly and unapologetically Canadian. When I joined the team as an American, I did have to learn Celsius to understand just how cold it is up in Toronto (very, apparently) and train myself to spell “favourite” properly on our social media channels, but you’re right that the currency we worked with remained familiar. This never did sit well with us, and you’re definitely not alone in your frustrations, so last year we introduced 1Password.ca alongside 1Password.eu. 1Password.ca allows you to pay for your 1Password membership in Canadian dollars, plus your data is stored on a Canadian server to boot. 🍁😊

We don’t have gift cards just yet for 1Password.ca accounts. Despite our excitement over the .ca after our name, most of our customers are still on 1Password.com, so it made sense to start there, but we’re definitely continuing to think about the best way to expand gift cards and offer them in other currencies. As for pricing, the fact that our 1Password.com customers are still from all sorts of places is one good reason not to stick with the base U.S. dollars cost of an annual membership. VAT, taxes, GST, and every other acronym our governments have come up with mean many folks don’t pay exactly that amount, so it makes much more sense to gift 1Password in rounder numbers. One year of 1Password Families has a different final cost depending on geography, even if exchange rates weren’t taken into consideration, so it seemed a better choice not to tie things to the U.S. price.

Fairness and looking out for each other (and especially our customers) are definitely values we all share here at AgileBits and we couldn’t be happier to be putting those values into better practice with 1Password.ca and the introduction of gift cards. If you’d like to swap to 1Password.ca to put those pesky fees to rest once and for all, shoot us an e-mail. One of my Canadian teammates would be delighted to help you make the switch. 💖

Kate Sebald says:

Hey Michael! They don’t have expiration dates, but their value doesn’t track inflation, so I wouldn’t recommend hoarding them as investment vehicle. If you want to stock up for future holidays, office parties, and white elephant exchanges, though, have at it. 1Password is an awesome gift for any occasion and it’s always great to plan ahead. 😊

6. Christian Malcolm
    Christian Malcolm says:

Hello,

I’ve been setting up lots of clients with 1Password.eu and 1Password.ca. We’re keen to avoid storing any data in the US and now that’s easier, so thanks for those alternatives.

Any progress on gift cards for non-US currencies?

Kate Sebald says:

Hey, Christian! No progress as yet, but I’ll be sure to give the team a nudge for them on your behalf. In the meantime, you can use a pre-paid debit card to pay for a 1Password membership rather than keeping a credit card on file. Perhaps not as pretty as a 1Password gift card graphic, but something that might be an option for your clients for now. 🙂